Type keyword(s) to search

Reverie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Didn't they pick up the suspect in the first place because of some pretty specific tattoos? Since the witness mentioned said tattoos before, I wonder how successful this argument would really be.I don't think they implied his tattoos were common, so while the cuffs would normally create a bias, the consistent-with-the-story-all-along tattoos are a pretty good confirmation on their own. Or would it not matter?

Defense counsel would argue to have the ID thrown out and the prosecutors will have to argue why it shouldn't be. The biggest problem for the police is why couldn't the defendant been taken down to the station for a formal line-up. The crime occurred some time ago so it's not like they caught him fleeing from the scene. 

I'm watching, and catching up. I used to be agoraphobic, and would go outside at night, into the garden. I remember some doctors were using virtual reality to treat that, and social anxiety. 

This is one of the few shows that my dvr remembers to record, so I know it will be there waiting for me. 

• Love 2
On 6/21/2018 at 11:12 PM, Camera One said:

I did find it interesting that he made a reverie to practice breaking into that medical facility, though it seems rather pointless and a little cruel to have him go through the whole theft scenario without knowing that it was a setup.  It was highly unbelievable that the guards and the employees at the facility acted like robots and their movements could be predicted exactly.  Why wouldn't anyone else be using that blue hallway? 

I think the point was that accomplishing what he was trying to do would help with his OCD (which it did), and he wouldn't have done it if he knew it was pointless and that they were going to give the medicine to them anyway. Plus, it may get him work as a security consultant.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, Camera One said:

It's practically becoming a drinking game whenever Mara comes up with some personal anecdote as she tries to "connect" with someone.  The writing can use some subtlety.

She was a police negotiator, and I think that is actually one of their tactics.

• Love 2

Mara tries to save a young dancer whose recent tragedy has sent her spiraling into deep despair. The case leads Mara to a surprising reunion with Chris, the love she left when her life fell apart.

It was disappointing because Mara really failed this time. Although Mara might have found the location of the next bomb, she found no information about Silas. They are celebrating, while Silas is still out there planning his next target.

• Love 4

Yeah, it bugged me that they never found Silas. Like, yeah its great that they found the other bombs, but there is still a domestic terrorist cell operating in the US. Maybe that comes back later, and he and his people become reoccurring enemies? 

I will admit, I thought the actress playing the comatose woman's mom was good, and I really felt for her when Mara gave her the last message of her daughter. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

It was disappointing because Mara really failed this time. Although Mara might have found the location of the next bomb, she found no information about Silas. They are celebrating, while Silas is still out there planning his next target.

24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, it bugged me that they never found Silas. Like, yeah its great that they found the other bombs, but there is still a domestic terrorist cell operating in the US. Maybe that comes back later, and he and his people become reoccurring enemies? 

I will admit, I thought the actress playing the comatose woman's mom was good, and I really felt for her when Mara gave her the last message of her daughter. 

Yeah, it felt unfinished, unless it's brought back later.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am guessing the show needs a Big Bad.  As interesting as the concept is there is only so long as it can go on without a bigger concept and a terror threat connects the main group with the government that owns the minority share of the company.   It’s a big event that gives everything more meaning then just case of the week episodes.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am guessing the show needs a Big Bad.  As interesting as the concept is there is only so long as it can go on without a bigger concept and a terror threat connects the main group with the government that owns the minority share of the company.   It’s a big event that gives everything more meaning then just case of the week episodes.

At this point, it's either that ex partner guy from the last episode, the government, or a new character.

• Love 1

I'm so pleased that I discovered this show.  I'm not sure how I have been missing it. I really did like it. Now, to catch up on the previous episodes. 

So happy to see Dennis Haysbert (formerly of The Unit) and Kathryn Morris (formerly of Cold Case).  Two of my favorite actors and tv shows. 

• Love 1

This episode was more engaging than the last two.  Some of the dialogue still feels a bit clunky and cheesy but the actresses who played the injured woman and her mother were good.  Still, the show hasn't totally grabbed me yet, in plot nor in character.  So are they keeping track of all the new issues with the program as Mara experiences it, like having to find the exit icon to escape?  Why would the girl be seeing an incomplete Silas face in her mind?  

• Love 1
On 6/28/2018 at 10:06 PM, Camera One said:

This episode was more engaging than the last two.  Some of the dialogue still feels a bit clunky and cheesy but the actresses who played the injured woman and her mother were good.  Still, the show hasn't totally grabbed me yet, in plot nor in character.  So are they keeping track of all the new issues with the program as Mara experiences it, like having to find the exit icon to escape?  Why would the girl be seeing an incomplete Silas face in her mind?  

I took it to mean he wasn’t who or what she thought. Silas was not who he said he was. It was a reflection of her feelings and disallusionment. 

• Love 3
On 6/28/2018 at 10:44 AM, tennisgurl said:

That would be my guess. You don't have a DoD backer without that becoming a major part of the story. Now that they've gone into a comatose, dying woman, what new uses is the DoD going to take it too. My guess would be forced interrogation of a healthy suspect.

Speaking of dying woman, I was pretty surprised that given the uniqueness of Mara's reveries, that they just left her un-monitored in her office. Doesn't seem prudent.

51 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I took it to mean he wasn’t who or what she thought. Silas was not who he said he was. It was a reflection of her feelings and disillusionment. 

That's a good thought. Mine was mostly she saw him while she was still struggling with her bearings. But I like yours better.

• Love 1

Maybe its because I love ballet (both watching and dancing) but I felt really bad for Holly the dancer. I cant imagine how awful it must be to have something you love, that you are great at and has been your life for as long as you can remember, and then suddenly you cant do it anymore, just sounds so terribly awful to me. It also lead to a decently interesting debate about whether or not you can force someone to leave their dream if they just dont want to. If a person wants to die in their happy place, do they have the right to stop them? 

I so knew that murder brother in law was still alive. 

• Love 1

Chris was dull, and Mara became dull when she was around him.  Hope he doesn't come back.

BIL was a surprise to me.

I felt for the dancer, too. I can see the company not wanting its clients dying, but I can also see clients preferring to go out happy and comfortable.  There might be a use for the system in hospice care...  but the company probably wouldn't be thrilled with that.

1 hour ago, janeta said:

Chris was dull, and Mara became dull when she was around him.  Hope he doesn't come back.

BIL was a surprise to me.

I felt for the dancer, too. I can see the company not wanting its clients dying, but I can also see clients preferring to go out happy and comfortable.  There might be a use for the system in hospice care...  but the company probably wouldn't be thrilled with that.

As much as I like Sam Jaeger, I thought Chris was kind of dull too. Maybe the mustache dampened down his usual charm.

I'm glad Reverie does not exist. I think I would totally get addicted to it. I even know which Reveries I would build.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

If a person wants to die in their happy place, do they have the right to stop them? 

Obviously, yes.  Same as the person who wants to die by jumping off a tall building will be rightly prevented from doing so by building security.  Or at least, we hope so.

Poor Holly.  Can't dance any more.  Kill yourself if you want to, sweetheart, but not in my software construct!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I so knew that murder brother in law was still alive. 

Same here, especially since they were obviously going to revisit this before the end of the season.

• Love 1
(edited)

Screen+Shot+2018-07-07+at+8.21.14+AM+%25

The team works together to save the life of a wrongly imprisoned boy and Mara (Sarah Shahi) is introduced to the dangerous world of Dark Reveries where the normal rules don't apply.

Promos

Edited by CooperTV
5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Obviously, yes.  Same as the person who wants to die by jumping off a tall building will be rightly prevented from doing so by building security.  Or at least, we hope so.

Well, yeah obviously. Most anyone would try to stop a person from committing suicide, from both a legal and a moral perspective. But, I can see why it would be hard for Mara to pull Holly out mentally kicking and screaming, possibly leading to her getting brain damaged anyway. Obviously they wouldn't want her to die, and would try to stop her, as they should, but it is an interesting thing for them to explore, what happens when Mara giving pep talks cant get someone to leave, even when they know that staying means death. I kind of expect an episode to eventually end with her talking a person like Holly out of Reverie, who had lost everything in real life and got it back in their dream, only to find out that they committed suicide afterwards anyway. 

I did figure that, when she started teaching Mara some ballet moves, that she would start teaching to find some purpose again. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, janeta said:

MTE.

I like this show; it fills the weird-science hole in my viewing slate, but is generally not that deep/dark, which is great for summer. The question of allowing someone to die in their reverie is a good one, though. I figured they’d have to let the clients do what they want, but now I’m sure the option of risking a client’s brain damage to force them out is going to be used at some point if the show goes on.

(edited)
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Obviously they wouldn't want her to die, and would try to stop her, as they should...

Actually, I can see how the technology might be used deliberately to allow people to end their days more pleasantly, in a hospice-type environment.  But I don't think suicide qualifies for hospice treatment, and that isn't the scope of this company anyway.  

But sure, it's easy to imagine one of Mara's saves going on to committed suicide afterwards, but the same could be said is he if she talked them down off a ledge in the physical world.  She can only do the best she can when she has the opportunity.

Edited by Netfoot
typos (multiple)
  • Love 3

This wasn't really a case of suicide, was it?  Holly had a medical condition that was threatening her life, and it was her choice (originally) to let it run its course instead of undergoing the hospital procedures to prolong her life.  Same with her sister.  As the MS symptoms become too much to live with, is there a place for the Reverie to allow patients to wait for the end of their life in a hospice situation, as has been pointed out?  Anyway, as long as the company allows the Reverie tablet to be taken home, there's not really any good preventive measures in place in case clients do want to go out that way.  I can see the liability issues from here. 

Was there some explanation given earlier in the season as to how other people are allowed to enter one's reverie?  Are there any safeguards in place to prevent this?  I can see big problems with this setup, even if Mara is the only one who does this.  That's probably what the government agency plot is about.  I mean, if I was in a Reverie, there is a whole wagonload of people I would not want to see at any time or place.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

This wasn't really a case of suicide, was it?  Holly had a medical condition that was threatening her life, and it was her choice (originally) to let it run its course instead of undergoing the hospital procedures to prolong her life.  Same with her sister.  As the MS symptoms become too much to live with, is there a place for the Reverie to allow patients to wait for the end of their life in a hospice situation, as has been pointed out?  Anyway, as long as the company allows the Reverie tablet to be taken home, there's not really any good preventive measures in place in case clients do want to go out that way.  I can see the liability issues from here. 

Was there some explanation given earlier in the season as to how other people are allowed to enter one's reverie?  Are there any safeguards in place to prevent this?  I can see big problems with this setup, even if Mara is the only one who does this.  That's probably what the government agency plot is about.  I mean, if I was in a Reverie, there is a whole wagonload of people I would not want to see at any time or place.

I believe her medical condition was due to her being essentially in a coma from being in the reverie. It had to do with her body being physically fragile due to her paralysis, I think. She wouldn't have died if she weren't in a Reverie for so long - so essentially suicide, given that she was told she was dying and needed to get out in order to live.

Also, Mara's the only one who's had the technology "installed" to be able to enter other people's reveries. It's a medical procedure (like the Reverie technology itself) so for now, at least, the company controls this. But I think the DoD's intent is to be able to use it as a way to enter people's minds, and/or control reveries to extract information.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Not sure how this technology is implemented (I heard talk of taking a 'pill'), but the dangers are essentially the same as for a droud.  Wireheads using the technology to the point where they die of starvation, dehydration and general neglect, and so forth.  Except, someone can come along and switch off, or disconnect a droud, but with the Reverie™ technology, there is no physical link.  Plus, they can't just switch it off in the server because reasons!  Therefore: Mara.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Not sure how this technology is implemented (I heard talk of taking a 'pill'), but the dangers are essentially the same as for a droud.  Wireheads using the technology to the point where they die of starvation, dehydration and general neglect, and so forth.  Except, someone can come along and switch off, or disconnect a droud, but with the Reverie™ technology, there is no physical link.  Plus, they can't just switch it off in the server because reasons!  Therefore: Mara.

It really does seem like Onira Tech didn’t think this through very well, did they? Who would have ever thought that some people would get stuck and decide never to come out!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

They inserted something into the brain, as I recall. The yada yada I remember from early on was that they couldn't switch it off, or remove it, because it could create serious neural problems.

10 hours ago, Xantar said:

It really does seem like Onira Tech didn’t think this through very well, did they? Who would have ever thought that some people would get stuck and decide never to come out!

A lot of people considering the very premise of this series so it wasn't thought up well at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Free said:
11 hours ago, Xantar said:

A lot of people considering the very premise of this series so it wasn't thought up well at all.

Seems about par for a lot of the companies I've known. Unintended consequences are more unconsidered consequences.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Clanstarling said:

Seems about par for a lot of the companies I've known. Unintended consequences are more unconsidered consequences.

That and the way they handled their former partner a few episodes ago, that's just a backfire waiting to happen sooner or later.

• Love 1

I am glad that Sarah Shahi has been turning up the sexy in the last 2 episodes. I think they need it if the show is to survive. I don't like her love interest, they shouldn't have made him her therapist, it seems like he is taking advantage of her situation, when she was and still seems to be at her most vulnerable.

I also at first thought he was her therapist, but now I think they cleared it up that he is just A therapist, not HER therapist. I dont see it being long term, but its nice to see a relationship thats just fun and flirty right now, and not drowning in angst.

The case was interesting, and it was a good way to explore the use of Reverie. The military was planning on using this tech since day one, and I guess this was how they wanted to start things up. Also, I guess their government contact might be a bit sketchy, but she isnt so sketchy that she is alright with trapping teenage refugees being tortured because of some light evidence against them. Maybe it was pragmatic, maybe it was personal, but it was at least a bit more for her to do. 

Screen+Shot+2018-07-18+at+7.08.13+AM+%25

Romance is in the air when Mara must track down an elderly woman attempting to relive her lost love, but as Mara dives deeper into her Reverie she realizes she may have a greater mission on her mind.

Promos

(edited)

Is anybody as tired as I am of Alexis' attitude and body language? She's worse than a Debbie Downer, she just sucks the life out of s room.  At least she got fired up this episode by the Army's misuse of Reverie.  Seriously though, It's almost a given than the Army will try to apply any new technology towards a militaristic use, (In the movies & TV) so, it goes without saying, that if you build it, they will use it.  Keep it in mind when you don't want your invention turned into a weapon.

Can't help seeing Dennis Haysbert as anyone other than President Palmer. I guess I will always see him as Palmer.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

He wasn’t her therapist. He is a therapist that she worked with when she was a hostage negotiator who she then dated. 

Personally i am enjoying the lighter flirty relationship she has with Paul. 

I am enjoying her relationship with Paul too. They have much more chemistry than she does with the therapist, which saddens me because I've always liked the actor. I think his mustache sucks the personality right out of him or something.

So, she came back with a bruise IRL. I wonder if the coders at the DoD made some changes to the programming.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, janeta said:

I assumed the bruise was psychosomatic, like stigmata.

That's a valid assumption but would a psychosomatic injury be recurrent? The bruise shows up again in the next episode as if it's either worse or has returned.  It may be part of the whole plot of Reverie 2.0 leads to mental breakdown, in which case, Clanstarling's guess of DoD manipulation could be correctly diagnosed as the cause of her breakdown.

Incidentally, put me down as Team Mara/Paul , I see more chemistry with them than with Sam.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

It's almost a given than the Army will try to apply any new technology towards a militaristic use, (In the movies & TV) so, it goes without saying, that if you build it, they will use it.  Keep it in mind when you don't want your invention turned into a weapon.

Exactly, they'll almost always use new technology like this in these kinds of stories.

Additionally, it looks like they're headed in a Matrix direction, where Mara and Paul can overcome any obstacle while in the Reverie, as long as they can contain the left brain thing.

I hope the DoD version of Reverie is unhackable (hah!), because the next step is anyone in the world reverse engineering the program (all 145 billion lines of code, or whatever) and, since you can now invade other people's Reverie, and using it to their advantage.  This does not bode well.  Even worse for the company, cut rate versions might appear on the market.

It's not hard to see why all these "clients" are becoming addicted to this technology.  I agree that the ex-boyfriend was a tad dull.  I did feel badly for the dancer at the beginning, but again, it wore a bit thin after a while.  

This episode was more interesting, deviating from the formula and less predictable.  The guest characters were likeable and there was more urgency to the situation.  I'm glad there is a bit more grey to the government lady.  I still don't remember the names of the various characters on this show.  The ending with the ex-boyfriend felt tacked on and disconnected from the rest of it.  

• Love 1

I guess I have to take back what I said about it being inappropriate for Mara to be sleep with her therapist, because maybe she was only getting freaky with herself? Pretty soon we won't know what really happened and what is Mara's delusions. Pretty soon Mara will be flying to work.

• Love 1

Mara's personal tragedy finally comes to a head and she considers whether she has a future with OniraTech. When the client stuck in Reverie is one of their own, they must all band together before it's too late.

Color me confused, because I just looked at last week's episode again, and Chris had texted Mara when she was at work. The text says, "Still feel like talking later?" She smiles and presumably responds because we later see them at her apartment. They talk and then have sex. So now we're supposed to think that didn't happen? What about the text that we know is from his phone (shows up as "Chris") because he called her from his phone (showed his name) when she was seeing HallucinationChris.

He's very dull and his mustache is no bueno.

• Love 3
On 6/1/2018 at 1:22 AM, Maverick said:

As someone who thinks too much about TV shows, several things bugged me.  What's the deal with  Reverie?  Is it a widely/commercially available program?  The developer mentions that 7 people are a "fraction of a fraction" so there must be a lot of people using it.  If something like this became publicly available everyone would have heard of it but yet the friend was clueless.   And it would surely be expensive--like way more than a first gen HD TV or original BetaMax.   So how did the guy who couldn't afford health insurance get it?   If the program is still in testing, that's a huge testing pool again based on the fraction comment.   And whether it's a production product or in testing (best especially the latter) my biggest question is:  aren't these people doing any psych testing?   You create a virtual world where someone can make any fantasy come true, live without pain or fear and bring back the dead and it never once occurs to to you that someone might want to stay in the program rather than return to real life?  That's just ignorant.  

All of this.

Just found out about this show and figured the plot sounded interesting so I gave it a shot.

When TV shows have a gimmicky hook, I'm immediately put off. Okay so 7 people are in a coma. What happens when she rescues those 7? If more people fall into a coma, why is the company still allowed to operate the software? The coma hook is immediately problematic because it can't be sustained realistically in my book.

I must not be the target audience for this type of show. Oh well. :)