Type keyword(s) to search

1968 - General Discussion

Sarah 103
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm enjoying the miniseries. I wished they had talked about the movies closer to the section on the Academy Awards. It was terribly amusing that as they were discussing the movies nominated for Best Picture, they ignored that Doctor Dolittle was one of the nominees. I was surprised that they had cutaways to Congressmen during the State of the Union. I thought that was more modern did not happen until the 1980s. I'm looking forward to the final two parts tonight.  

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1

This was painful to watch.  I lived through 1968 and (as said above) it was brutal.  I had to turn it off, because it seemed like too much to live through it again.  (MLK, RFK, the War, the convention in Chicago -- the blows just kept on coming.)

I think, though, if you weren't "there" it would be very interesting and instructive to watch it all and try to come out with some lessons.  Isn't the expression "If you don't understand history you are doomed to repeat it."  

• Love 2
On 5/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, Spartan Girl said:

This was an interesting miniseries to watch. The footage of MLK and RFK's deaths were brutal.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, Chippings said:

This was painful to watch.  I lived through 1968 and (as said above) it was brutal.  I had to turn it off, because it seemed like too much to live through it again.  (MLK, RFK, the War, the convention in Chicago -- the blows just kept on coming.)

I think, though, if you weren't "there" it would be very interesting and instructive to watch it all and try to come out with some lessons.  Isn't the expression "If you don't understand history you are doomed to repeat it."  

You guys weren't exaggerating. The first two parts were EXTREMELY brutal and painful to watch. And even though I'd seen scenes/footage of Robert Kennedy after his assassination, it still gutted me. And Ted's tears and eulogy gutted me. I'd never seen footage of when King was assassinated, but that shot, and the reporting right after? Gave me chills. I just wish the show would leave the chyron that identifies whose speaking, on long enough so I can read their names to see who's speaking! Some are like one second long!

On 5/31/2018 at 3:00 AM, MsTree said:

Two episodes in...very informative and no stone left unturned. Looking forward to the remaining two episodes.

So am I. I'm surprised that we didn't see Rep. John Lewis speak about King. I can't imagine him not willing to do so. He marched with King.

I got very teary-eyed when I saw Cronkite and Jennings.

• Love 2

Just saw the last two episodes and wow, just wow. I learned a few new things with this series that CNN’ 1960s failed to reveal: how close the 1968 election was; what Nixon did to delay the peace talks with Vietnam; and shallow point here: what wonderful cheekbones ❤️?????❤️Elvis❤️?????❤️ had!❤️?❤️

Boy not only was Wallace a racist batshit crazy asshole, but the guy he chose for his VP, wasn’t the sane choice he thought he’d be. The way LeMay kept going on and on and on about nuclear weapons.???

So glad it ended on a hopeful note, with Apollo 8-turning around the moon and giving the people a view of the Earth, even though we wouldn’t pull out of Vietnam until six years later. And how apropos to end it with Walter Cronkite speaking.

• Love 2

I was watching this on HBO Max.  I appreciate that Tom Hanks is a producer on this, so he gets to be a talking head, but he was 12 in 1968.  He isn't a historian, and his viewpoint on events during that time period add little to what is already being said by the other talking heads with expertise.  I like the show itself, but just kind of roll my eyes at that.       

• Love 1