Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: You Can't Handle Chartreuse 2018.06.02

Host Paige Davis, legacy designer Doug Wilson, newcomers designer Kahi Lee, and carpenters Brett Tutor and Joanie Sprague tackle two living rooms and one very big super fan as they trade spaces in the suburbs of Atlanta, Ga.

“What? Is? That?” into the camera in the foreground as Doug works on the art piece in the background was my favorite moment, but a close second was the two women at the end agreeing, “The rest of our houses look like crap now.”

Neither room wowed me, but I thought they were both major improvements on what was there (those were just god-awful McMansion rooms, so, yes, I imagine the rest of both houses does look as boring as these two did to start) and knew both sets of homeowners were going to be happy.

• Love 13

The episode title made me laugh. My cousin's wife sold their house (my cousin passed away a year ago) and is moving out of state with her mom, and she had to have everything out a couple weeks ago, so she held a sale to try to unload the last of the furniture and stuff she's not taking with her. I took a smallish bookcase (which was marked $10 but she wouldn't let me pay for it) but it needs a little attention so it is currently in my parents' garage so my dad can fix it up. He asked what color I wanted and I asked what my options were; I was told "keep the wood, off-white, or chartreuse, or pink with purple poka dots." Yes, my dad can spell "chartreuse," but not "polka." (I'm going with the white, to match the dresser-turned-microwave stand in my kitchen and another little bookcase in my living room.)

Thoughts:

Stop yelling, Paige.

Wait, she wanted Doug? Brave woman.

I like Kahi's shirt. And her blue paint.

"I would love for Doug to do my room but I would not want to work with Doug." Ha.

[Holy crap, it's pouring! The power better not go out!]

She loves chartreuse! And Kahi has chartreuse! What a coincidence!

Stop saying "chartreuse."

I wonder if there's actually any thread in that sewing machine.

A plastic spoon clock? Really?

Not a fan of chartreuse but the curtains look nice against the dark blue.

I like this woman messing with them over the chandelier color.

Doug's gray is a bit too dark, I think. I hope the other elements brighten the room up a bit.

I totally need that black cat picture behind Paige in the Overstock tent!

Not sure how I feel about this mid-show reveal-who's-doing-your-house business.

Trading Spaces: Blair Witch Edition ? "There's so much painting!"

The framed silk scarves are really pretty!

I like Doug's chair fabric, too.

Those pillars in Doug's room are weird. (Yes, I know they were already there.) Filling in the one space with a bookcase was a neat idea.

That's a lotta pillows in Kahi's room. And curtains. I think I like it, though, overall.

I like Doug's...the walls still feel a little dark but the white helps.

Stop yelling, Paige.

• Love 5

When the homeowner said she'd be happy with anything as long as her walls weren't covered in shards of glass and exposed nails, I was sure she'd inadvertently given Hildi an idea for her next episode.

I thought both rooms were okay, but not fantastic.  I liked both homeowner couples, though, and I'm glad they liked the results. 

I totally need that black cat picture behind Paige in the Overstock tent!

I'll fight you for it.  It was adorable.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Trading Spaces: Blair Witch Edition ? "There's so much painting!"

Brilliant. She was so OTT. Speaking of that, I firmly believe that she was getting so upset and difficult to work with that they brought Doug in to placate her. She stormed off over the chandelier, wasn’t happy re: homework and all the painting and probably was ready to shut down big time. By bringing him in they changed her attitude and relaxed her. She had a death grip hug on Doug...who took it like a trooper. Her husband must be a saint. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Kahi was my favorite Design on a Dime designer back in the day, so I'm glad to see her pop up on TS.

Didn't love her room, sadly, but most of what I didn't like was clearly done to appeal to the home owner's tastes, so I can't nitpick it too much.

Edited by Sticker Shock
  • Love 2

My first thought when I saw the dining room/foyer was that those awful columns needed to be gone! Guess they don't go that far on Trading Spaces but I bet they would have been easy to remove! Boy, those were big houses...McMansion is a great description! You know that no matter what TS says, they had to have a lot of help painting because they needed scaffolding for the humongous wall heights....whew, glad it wasn't  me! The gray was dark, but Doug did brighten it up with the artwork.  Thankfully the pine needles were on the artwork, not the walls and I actually wish they had put a bit more depth to it.  And I liked that he found matching chairs! Hers were too different to work well. First thought in the living room was to move the couch away from the stairs...that was just strange. The new set up was much better! These two rooms were both good and I wonder how much the neighbors changed when it was over?

• Love 5

I liked both rooms. But I really like bold, bright colors. I thought I wasn't going to care for Doug's room, it was so very dark grey, but I think it worked, there were lighter, brighter colors around and they stood out against the grey. Yeah, the columns were weird and probably in a show with a bigger budget they would have been gone, but the bright white of them was a nice contrast to the grey. 

I have particular weakness for turquoise, aqua and teal with yellows and yellow greens, so I liked the living room. I even liked the treatments of the clocks, from a distance. I don't know how they'd look in real life, up close and personal, but the gold against the teal, they stood out. I don't think I would have liked the chandelier in white, the homeowner working on the room didn't like gold or brass, she made that very clear, but she did say the woman who was getting the room really, really liked gold. So, isn't that the purpose, do what your friend wants and likes, in their room. I know, I know, not for all the designers and not all the time.

• Love 6

Loved the cat picture. My black cat wants it

What’s with the homeowner’s sticking out hair? It makes her look kind of demented.

Paige is annoyingly loud. I hated her LOUD voice during the last run of Trafing Spaces.  She annoys me. 

I must go paint my walls gray. Or blue. Not chartreuse...

• Love 5

I am watching the rerun and I realized that when the red wife was ranting about the chandelier and Paige was looking all concerned, the husband moved behind Paige and Kahi where they couldn't see him and was totally laughing. He knew she was joking.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The six brand new dining chairs in the basement was the fakest “find” on this show and that’s saying a lot.

I didn't get the feeling they were brand new.  It seemed like they were her original dining set chairs and she was only using a couple of them upstairs, along with some mismatched ones for a (failed) eclectic look.

• Love 8

I thought that whole chair thing was a set up too. The room probably needed help but didn’t look too bad (just empty) and their agenda is to make a big difference. I think production mix matched the chairs in the beginning to give it more visual impact. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It is really too bad there wouldn’t have been time (and maybe budget) to get rid of those god awful columns. Spending the full 2 grand to take them down and fix the floor would have been a major improvement.  Doug could have at least tried to box them out square or something.  The bookshelf helped a bit.

I liked the new designer’s room better and it did seemed very pulled together and cohesive.  It is disappointing she was over $200 under, Paige shouldn’t celebrate that so much as I think the goal should be to get as closer to the $2k as possible.  An additional $200 might have bought a nicer light fixture.

ETA I thought the upset getting OTT neighbour was faking all that.  She admitted it with the light fixture, it seemed all a bit of a game with her, which I’ll admit was kind of fun.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, MrsCastle said:

The rooms were pretty but either could be in a magazine (maybe a Pinterest Magazine). There were not a lot of personal or family touches.  Kind of impersonal.  

I think that is the best part!  I love my home to be magazine ready and not look like anyone lives here (but usually fail as people do live here and leave some things out).  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, fountain said:

It is really too bad there wouldn’t have been time (and maybe budget) to get rid of those god awful columns. Spending the full 2 grand to take them down and fix the floor would have been a major improvement.  Doug could have at least tried to box them out square or something.  The bookshelf helped a bit.

I liked the new designer’s room better and it did seemed very pulled together and cohesive.  It is disappointing she was over $200 under, Paige shouldn’t celebrate that so much as I think the goal should be to get as closer to the $2k as possible.  An additional $200 might have bought a nicer light fixture.

ETA I thought the upset getting OTT neighbour was faking all that.  She admitted it with the light fixture, it seemed all a bit of a game with her, which I’ll admit was kind of fun.

I noticed in the before shot that there were two bar stools next to the peninsula by the kitchen that were gone after the room was done. They were an ornate iron, so were probably removed because they didn't go with the new decor. She could have used that $200 to buy two new bar stools. Other than that, I really liked Kahi's room. I thought it was one of the best of the season.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 3

Kahi's room was lovely. The colors really popped and she seemed to very much consider what the homeowner liked (clocks, chartreuse, those were personal/personality without putting pizza boards (sorry, don't remember what they are properly called) on the wall because the client is Italian). I'm certainly preferring the new/guest designers rooms better than the "legacy" designers, with the exception of Vern. 

Paige could be replaced by someone less like an over sugared toddler and I think the show would improve.

Doug seems to have mellowed in his old age. hahahahaha

I hated those columns. WTF was that supposed to be? If those were in my house I would have knocked them down myself and made Doug figure out how to fix the floor. lol Hell, even a half wall would look better than those stupid columns. I did like how he fit the bookcase into one of them. That did help a little. I also love what Joanie did with the table. Doug's room was nice. Nothing special, but not a Hildi nightmare room, so nice. 

I enjoy this show so much more when the homeowners like their rooms. Seriously, it changes my entire feelings about the show. There's enough drama in this world. This show is so silly that I don't get why they would have dramatic bad reveals. It should be a feel good show IMO.

• Love 13

Kahi's room looked beautiful; I think her color choices have been the best of the season.  But both of them did it right--the rooms were simple but tasteful and elegant.  Doug's gray was a bit dark for my taste, but he covered it with those giant canvases that (from a distance at least) ended up looking pretty darned good.  But even if they hadn't, at least his dirt and leaves went onto canvas and would be easy to take down.  Had it been Hildi, it would have been glued all over the walls.  

• Love 11

I wish Kahi had painted the brick on the fireplace white. I thought it looked bad in the before and worse in the after. Totally agree that those columns needed to go. Godawful, but taking them out probably would have required sheetrock repair as well as floor work so there was no way they would have done it. I would have taken a sledge hammer to them myself if that were my house.

• Love 5

It seemed like they were her original dining set chairs and she was only using a couple of them upstairs, along with some mismatched ones for a (failed) eclectic look.

I just wanted someone to sit her down and tell her that putting a bunch of different chairs together doesn't actually make a look, unless the look you are going for is "haphazard mess." 

• Love 2

I didn’t like the book case because of the way it fit into the column. It would have been much better if he had boxed in that one column so the bookcase would have been flush. I also wonder given some of the crap finishes they do on the show how the back of the bookshelf looked in the hallway.

• Love 10

I liked both couples, especially the big guy in the red shirt who was obviously just going with the flow in a good-natured way.  And I totally got his wife and her reaction to the gold chandelier.  "You asked my opinion and we all agreed and then you did something else."  That would have been me.

Both rooms looked nice at first glance but I hated the chartreuse-y drapes.  In fact, most drapes/curtains on this show look unfinished like they do in a store display.  The curtain hooks were inserted a bit unevenly and the top edge looked a bit tacky.  I suspect that the clocks looked really tacky too up close.  I didn't understand why you'd decide to make wall art with kindergarten supplies for a McMansion.  I love clocks and I have 15 or 20 in various rooms but I wouldn't like those cheap looking ones, especially when they're the focal point of the room.

Paige continues to make me nuts acting like a loud and hyper 14 y/o.  She takes over every scene she's in.  I cringed when she flopped on the white sofa with her shoes on.  That's not cute.  It's bad manners.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I didn’t like the book case because of the way it fit into the column. It would have been much better if he had boxed in that one column so the bookcase would have been flush. I also wonder given some of the crap finishes they do on the show how the back of the bookshelf looked in the hallway.

You read my mind. Those were exactly exactly my concerns. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I think that's why in my first comment I just said I liked the idea...I hadn't really articulated in my head it but I was a little iffy about the execution. I think I just don't like the columns; if it was square so it looked like it was actually part of the bookcase it'd be better.

• Love 2

I wonder if they couldn't even consider taking the columns out just because of cost or if it was because they were actual structure support. They could've easily squared them off with wood so you could at least hang photos on them or something.

Those McMansions are so open and all the rooms flow together...I wasn't sure where they were going to be able to stop.

Kahi made a point of saying how off the clock spokes were but then in the final reveal they looked perfect!

The best change in the reboot was allowing each team their own carpenter.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they couldn't even consider taking the columns out just because of cost or if it was because they were actual structure support. They could've easily squared them off with wood so you could at least hang photos on them or something.

Those McMansions are so open and all the rooms flow together...I wasn't sure where they were going to be able to stop.

Kahi made a point of saying how off the clock spokes were but then in the final reveal they looked perfect!

The best change in the reboot was allowing each team their own carpenter.

I don't think they could've been support because they didn't reach the ceiling, they were attached to a piece of wood coming out of the wall.  I think they were meant to define the space between the foyer and dining room, but they were really ugly and obtrusive.

• Love 13
(edited)
33 minutes ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they couldn't even consider taking the columns out just because of cost or if it was because they were actual structure support.

They didn't even reach the ceiling, so they were "decorative" (I put that in quotes because they were among the ugliest things I've ever seen in a home).

Oops, didn't see that this was already answered.  But I'm leaving it, because it can't be stated enough how ridiculous those columns were.  If you were allowed just one picture to illustrate how awful the McMansion version of architectural detail is, those columns would fit the bill.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 16

I would love to know the square footage of the homes and a layout because the setup of that hallway/dining space was ludicrous and then the family room appeared a decent size but the kitchen was tiny. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

I would love to know the square footage of the homes and a layout because the setup of that hallway/dining space was ludicrous and then the family room appeared a decent size but the kitchen was tiny. 

I went to the TS facebook page to see if there was a picture that included the columns because I couldn't remember if they went up to the ceiling or not (I didn't think so); didn't find one but I scrolled through some of the comments. The wife was posting in there and she agreed that the whole layout of the space they were doing was really weird. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

Those glasses did Doug no favors.  Made him look like a great-grandpa.

I really liked the color on Kahi's walls, but the chartreuse curtains clashed really badly.  OTOH, I appreciate vibrant color, and the only other designer who  exuberantly embraces color is Frank, but he can't design for shit, so I'll take this.  

Kim trolled Paige well.  Needs to happen more often.  

17 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Boy, those were big houses...McMansion is a great description!

McMansion is more than just size.  It's about bad design and bad architecture.

McMansion 101

The mass is the largest portion of a building. Individual masses become interesting when they are combined together to form a façade. The arrangement of these shapes to create weight is called massing. As the pieces are combined, they are divided into categories: primary and secondary masses...The McMansion has no concept of mass. 

Balance is the relationship among the parts of a building on either side of an imaginary centerline through the middle of the house. Houses can be symmetrically or asymmetrically balanced...McMansions have notoriously poor balance.

Proportion refers to the relationships of one part of a façade to the whole. A house that is correctly proportionate establishes a visual relationship between all parts of its exterior....McMansions are horrible at proportions.

Rhythm in architecture describes the use of repetitive elements in order to establish architectural harmony...McMansions lack architectural rhythm.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I really liked the color on Kahi's walls, but the chartreuse curtains clashed really badly. 

I actually liked the color against the wall when they showed just the edge of one curtain close up at one point, but when all the curtains were up and they showed the wide shot of the room it felt like a bit too much. But I'm not a huge fan of yellows in general and really bright yellows in particular.

I really liked this episode.  Everyone seemed to have fun and both couples seemed to really like their homes.  Lots of color and some really helpful ideas (beautiful scarves as art...).  I did like the one wife's reaction to seeing Doug-I could tell she was a real fun of the show and of Doug.  I would have been happy with either room. 

However, having written that, I am so over the HUGE rooms (McMansions indeed!) that the designers have to figure out how to design on a minimal budget.  I guess that I never really realized how huge "average" homes have become.

• Love 8
(edited)

Kahi’s room is cool, I loved the blue wall color but the clocks was bleah! I did not care much for Douglas’s room except for the artwork they made, that is a cool artwork but honestly, I can not really remember a Douglas room that I liked though

Edited by DVDFreaker

I really liked how both rooms turned out.  That doesn't mean that I love every element personally, but I liked that they looked like high end rooms and fit with the spaces they were working in.  I loved the use of bold/dark color in both rooms as well.  This is what I expect from Trading Spaces (not from past history, but I would like to see each time)--I want to see nicely done rooms versus rooms that look like they were "crafted" together in some kind of odd mishmash--I am talking to you Hildi, and you Doug on occasion (such as I didn't like that brown/green room he did earlier in the season).  Last week, Genevieve's room was too much the crafted together, blah room for me, and in contrast these rooms were just so much higher end looking when done.  I didn't like Kahi's personality, but in the end if she can do a room that actually takes in account the homeowners' wishes, then that is great with me.  And I was surprised to see Doug do a room like that--kind of elegant and simple.

• Love 3

I wasn't wowed by either room but I wasn't disgusted by either room so there is that.  I like Kahi and I have always liked Doug.   This was a Meh season finale.  I am glad to here that they will be back and I hope they will mix up the designers more and the carpenters and bring back Frank to do at least one room ( I really would like to see if his tastes have changed and I just really like him).   And because it cannot be said too much STOP YELLING, PAIGE.

• Love 1
(edited)

I quite liked Kahi’s room, though I wish she’d spent the remainder of her budget on a console table. I wasn’t impressed by the one that the carpenter (forget his name) made. It made me think of the top half of a puppet theatre. 

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, 100Proof said:

I always cringe because they paint stuff outside. I imagine all the dirt, dust, insects in the air that must be sticking all over the wet paint

If they are painting with spray paint, then they need to do it outside for the ventilation.

I liked both rooms when done, but those are two of the strangest houses ever.  Guess I'm lucky that I don't live in a McMansion.

I don't think that Kahi intended those clocks to be permanent in the room - they were a suggestion to the homeowners about the kind of art/items that they could put there.   The clock faces were so small that you couldn't even read them.    How much money did she really save using the googly eyes instead of real buttons?

• Love 4

This remake of Trading Spaces has been a real disappointment to me. I loved it back “in the day” but think I’ll just tune out now.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

If they are painting with spray paint, then they need to do it outside for the ventilation.

Been a very very long time since I held a spray can, but iirc, 'well ventilated' is the description on cans or any volatile potentially harmful chemicals. 

I get why they go outside for the ultimate ventilated space for the homeowners sake instead of a garage for example, I'm just saying that outside, a lot of stuff is probably gonna be sticking to the wet paint.

Edited by 100Proof
6 hours ago, penbrat said:

I wasn't wowed by either room but I wasn't disgusted by either room so there is that.  I like Kahi and I have always liked Doug.   This was a Meh season finale.  I am glad to here that they will be back and I hope they will mix up the designers more and the carpenters and bring back Frank to do at least one room ( I really would like to see if his tastes have changed and I just really like him).   And because it cannot be said too much STOP YELLING, PAIGE.

I agree about Frank but if his taste do not change then his room would be outdated now unfortanely...

• Love 3