Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

On 8/22/2018 at 1:38 AM, Toothbrush said:

My husband is a doctor and said he could never have devoted time to a competition such as this during med school, and especially leading up to/during exam time, and I'm sure the same applies to John at law school. Heck, I am an actuary and couldn't have done it during school (the fact that I would never make it on the show notwithstanding

Medical School and Law School in the UK are generally  undergrad degrees. Furthermore, “exams” are end of year culminations... as if you take phys 101&102 during the school year and have a single exam at the end of the year to pass them. So if you know you are going on the show, you can theretically do a lot of your studying in advance.  Its more like finals than boards or the BAR.  While they are super important to your ability to advance to the next set of classes, its not... quite the same as exams as our understanding of Med School exams. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

When I saw the fondant fancies, they are what I consider petit fours.

Petit fours are a larger category than just fondant fancies as demonstrated earlier in the season.

2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

In my mind, James is always coupled with a baker from another year (SPOILER for those who haven't seen all the US-aired seasons),

Reveal hidden contents

Kimberley,

who all through the season was similarly a favorite of mine, as a likable presence as well as a confident, creative, and capable baker, and seemed poised to take it all in the Final... And then clearly took themselves out of the running as the weekend progressed. The situations aren't precisely the same, but they both produced a tiny heartache for me.

I agree, I really thought that the person had it until I saw their showstopper. Then I knew they blew it. I was sad because I was rooting for them the whole season.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The situations aren't precisely the same, but they both produced a tiny heartache for me.

I feel like it wasn't as important to James to win as it was for the other two. I think he got out of the show what he hoped to get, challenge himself and have some fun baking. I feel like Brandon and John both had a lot of their sense of self wrapped up in winning. John, who was trying to prove to his family that he could be a baker, and Brandon, they cut him off when he started getting emotional (which I appreciate, thought it took them long enough), but there seemed to be something quite personal there for him as well. I always got the impression James was just there for the experience, which is one of the things I loved about him. He was willing to take crazy risks because this was just a bit of fun for him, not a life altering opportunity. 

I actually adored all three of the finalists and would have been happy with any of them as winners, but if I take their stories into consideration, I feel like John will/did get the most out of the win. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

There's also a "Recent 20" sale going on for recently broadcast shows which would appear to be in addition to the sale prices.

Just for the record, when I tried the code, I was told it had expired. The sale is still a good one anyway.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:31 PM, sum said:

Noticed Mary's abridged recipe given to the bakers mentions 'dip(ping)' at least 3 times. Since none of the finalists have made it before no wonder they followed the instruction until realizing it's not working! 

The complete recipe Mary Berry's fondant fancies

15. Take the cakes out of the fridge and place one onto a fork.
16. Dip each square into the icing one at a time and carefully set onto a cooling rack, with parchment underneath to catch the drips. Try not to get finger prints on them - for this reason it is best to insert the fork at an angle so that you can slide the cake off onto the cooling rack easily.

This is how Mary did in the Masterclass* episode of the series. 
3bzFm2P.gif
To Paul's question why dipping not pouring, Mary answers she thinks it gives a smarter finish and she found it easier to do. However, from her full recipe, the key for the method seems to be chilling the squares in the fridge after almost every step and she didn't allow them enough time for that.

Not everyone agrees with her though. ;)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9615108/So-Mary-how-do-you-bake-the-perfect-fondant-fancy.html

* I seem to remember reading three episodes of Masterclass will be available later for the US audience via either PBS or Netflix.

I love Mary.   but I am always, ALWAYS, squicked out by super-long nails on anyone handling food.  I could never eat that.

• Love 1

I'm posting this here because I think it's where most of my fellow Americans have been posting of late.  Netflix has Season 8 of GBBO.  Let me repeat that a little louder:

NETFLIX HAS SEASON 8 OF GBBO!!!!!!

Season 8, to be clear, is the 2017 season, the first one without Mary, Sue, and Mel.  Netflix has it listed as Season 5 (of course they do, because lets mess up the numbering even more).  Interestingly enough, I had seen that Netflix had a Season 5 and I thought that it was the most reason season that aired here in the U.S., and I was going to post it here but hadn't gotten around to it.  Then I went to the hair salon today and my stylist had on GBBO because she knows I like it, and I was staring at the screen thinking "Wait, I don't know any of these people.  Why don't I know any of these people!?????  Could it be? Yes!!!!!!"

For all I know, I'm the last to the party here, because I have seen the Season 8 threads bumped up on the forum and this has to be the reason why.  But I tend to avoid all the other threads, even the media thread, because I don't want to be spoiled.

17 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

For all I know, I'm the last to the party here, because I have seen the Season 8 threads bumped up on the forum and this has to be the reason why

Released on Netflix Aug 31 (mentioned sometime around Aug 24, I think). Eventually, they will also have Season "9" (the one currently airing)--I think I heard "winter" and also (not yet filmed (to my knowledge)) Season "10".

• Love 2
On 9/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, illdoc said:

Released on Netflix Aug 31 (mentioned sometime around Aug 24, I think). Eventually, they will also have Season "9" (the one currently airing)--I think I heard "winter" and also (not yet filmed (to my knowledge)) Season "10".

I binged the whole season in two days - and I’m on a rewatch now. I’m so thrilled we are getting the newer seasons.

My PBS station (funded by viewers like me!) reran the first episode of the season with Ruby, Frances, and Kimberly.  The contestant who is sent home, made the mistake of using salt instead of sugar.  Mel and Sue assure him that it is a common mistake.   And then Paul makes a snarky comment to Mary about the last one who did it was John, and look at where he is today!

So, technically, Paul Hollywood spoiled this entire season.  But we all forgot.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

the last one who did it was John, and look at where he is today!

So, technically, Paul Hollywood spoiled this entire season.  But we all forgot.

I remember him saying that, but actually I think he kept it nice and vague and non-spoilery. "Look where he is today" could apply to anyone who did well enough out of the show to stay in the public eye. It seems that anybody in the top 5 or so who wants a book deal can get one, people get picked for newspaper columns and on-camera jobs even if they didn't win if the personality appeals... I suppose Paul saying it reveals that John went rather far in the competition, but no more than that.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I can't see any fault to assign there. Nothing was really revealed. Plus, I don't want American editors jumping in and snipping bits out, for any reason.

First it's hints at past seasons, next it's cute little sheep. Where will it end!!!!! Unless he literally says "and when Jane Doe won on series 2..." I don't want anything cut.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

First it's hints at past seasons, next it's cute little sheep. Where will it end!!!!! Unless he literally says "and when Jane Doe won on series 2..." I don't want anything cut.

and trying to not be spoilerish for *past* seasons seems beyond the call of duty. In this day and age, people can watch seasons of reality shows on Hulu or whatever in any damn order they please......

• Love 4

I kind of meant it as a joke.  I certainly didn't remember an off hand comment from three years earlier.   But having just watched John  win his season, it was odd to see Paul bring it up again.

He also made the statement that whoever wins Bread week makes it to the finals.

1 minute ago, meep.meep said:

He also made the statement that whoever wins Bread week makes it to the finals.

And that remained true for a while, but it no longer is, as of

Spoiler

Bake Off Season 7 (Baking Show Season 4), when Tom was eliminated before the final.

spoilers - Ha!  My swiss cheese memory laughs at them.

I listened to all of PTV's podcasts on the Noel/Sandi/Pru/Paul season when they came out and was not spoiled in the least while watching the season on Netflix over the past two weeks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Clearly none of you are active in the Game of Thrones forum.  A bunch of elephants there.

that's why I know I could never watch GoT. I can't keep names straight in one mystery-book-at-a-time.

I just started watching with this season on my local PBS station, and plan to to look for the other seasons now on Netflix.  I have enjoyed the discussion threads for the first 9 episodes, but wish I had skipped this one.  Spoiler alerts, please, people!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

Rinaldo et al- sorry, I was unclear - the spoilers were comments in this thread that named winners of other seasons.

From your post above I can see why you consider them spoilers. However, the confusion comes from PBS using odd order to air the seasons. (for more information). This was the fifth season for the US viewers who've already watched UK series 4-7 (= US season 1-4) in the previous years. That's why people didn't bother using spoiler tags to discuss something from those seasons. 

• Love 1

I think many of us came late to the party and are playing catch-up!  We may well not be watching in the same order.   I just finished PBS Season 3, and my local station is starting Season 1 next week. And  I just started watching Season 1 on DVD (from the library) while searching for someone who would share their Netflix account with me.  And trying to wrap my head around this:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/04/great-british-baking-show-great-british-bake-off-seasons/

Here I am posting after everyone has moved on because I just finished the series and I’m pissed off!   I think a good case could be made for either James or Brendan winning based on the season of baking results and wins in the technicals and star baker. John was star baker once the least of anyone and messed up a lot. The judging this season was horrible, all over the place and very capricious. Like awarding Ray star baker based solely on his show stopper instead of all the challenges. Mary consistently gave high praise to Brendan which looking back probably lulled him into a false sense of security. Then when the rubber hit the road she threw him under the bus. Weak! She always knuckled under to Paul and probably the production crew as well. Fuck off, Mary! Glad you’re gone. That said I think they gave John a pity win because they thought it made a better story. At the end of the judging for the final bake the camera focused on John who was in a heap, head down, face red, shaking in his chair. Probably sobbing. So if you emotionally collapse at the end and have a compelling backstory you win? Not fair. Even John knew he didn’t deserve the win, he was stunned when they called his name. It should have been James or Brendan. 

• Love 1

The show has been pretty consistent about the fact that they judge performances based on each episode/weekend.  Someone can be stellar for weeks and then have one really bad weekend and be out.  It's sad, but that happens sometimes.  James and Brendan were more consistent performers throughout the season, but the finale is judged on its own.  James whiffed his showstopper and knocked himself out of the running.  Brendan and John both came in tied for second in the technical, and I don't remember either having a huge lead after the signature bake.  So it came down to the show stopper for those two, and John's apparently was phenomenal.  

It's always hard to evaluate judging on a cooking show, because we can't taste what the judges do.  But there doesn't seem to be a reason to doubt the judges's word.  John just had a really great day.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 7
On 11/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, lovinbob said:

Was Nancy who used the potato masher for her fondant fancies? It was one of the "older" female bakers.

No, you are thinking of Jane from season 7.  Nancy made the beautiful Moulin Rouge red caramel windmill in season 5. 

• Love 1

Zulualpha - John absolutely deserves to win because James’ 5 cakes were disastrous. Not one of them had the lightness of a chiffon cake. Brendan’s had the lightness, but it was so very ordinary and lacked any finesse. It was a round cake with a heart cake stacked on top with some raspberries put on top - it might have won star baker during cake week but it was hardly a grand final showstopper.  Jon’s final bake not only tasted great to the judges,  it was really innovative and showed much greater skill than either of the other’s cakes. Brendan and James might have won more star baker accolades, but when it really counted, Jon hit his stride and was the clear choice.

• Love 2

Yep, as usual way behind others in watching. Getting my thought out then I'll finish reading because this thread is a long one! Really happy for adorable John and his win. I wish that Heaven and Hell cake was sitting in front of me right now because I'd cramming it down my cakehole for sure. I don't even like cake usually!

I've been rewatching all of the Great British Baking episodes on Netflix, and just finished Season 3.  I think I liked the bakers in this season more than any other.  I loved Brendan and had hoped he would win, but it was so important to John that he win so that he could pursue his dream career of baking.  I felt sorry for John when his mother and sister made less than complimentary remarks about his ability to win.  Growing up in an atmosphere like that must have given him some insecurity issues.  I wonder if he made it to the Cordon Bleu, and is happily pursuing his life long dream of being a professional baker.  

Laredhead, according to  WiKi, John did graduate from London’s Le Cordon Bleu, has written four cookbooks and made many guest chef appearances on ITV, including as a presenter and judge on Chopping Block. John Whaite's Kitchen Cookery School opened in Lancashire in 2015. So yeah, he’s done alright.

ETA: his website says the school opened in 2016.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

My mother had a Betty Crocker cookbook from the 1970's, and I was struck by how much Brendan's bakes reminded me of the pictures from that book, lol.  The man was very precise, and undoubtedly a good baker, but I can see why John won.  I got the feeling there was no where else for Brendan to go as a baker, whereas John was more imaginative with what he did.  So, even though I wouldn't have been upset with a Brendan win, I can't say John was undeserving.  The only one of the three who would have been was James, who completely blew it with stretching himself too thin making five cakes, instead of one.  Child, what WERE you thinking? 😉

All in all, I don't think this was one of my favorite seasons.  I liked it okay, but the bitchiness over American pies and the super reserved personalities of this season really left me cold.  I can't imagine being in the final challenge of a competition and calmly saying, "Oh, there's my cake" as it splattered on the floor.  If it were me, I would yell FUCK!!, and frantically scoop the remains off the floor while crying.  Yes, I know it's a very British trait to not react in that way, but with this season, the attitudes were almost robotic, and it was hard for me to connect with them.  Long story short, it was a very dry, boring season.  NEXT.

Edited by Everina
  • Love 1