Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Week 1: Season Premiere

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Venture capitalist/chicken” is the best job title in Bachelor History

Agree, it even edges out pantsapreneur.

18 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

Jordan, the self-described "ridiculously handsome" model, is reality tv gold.  He says such stupid things with great seriousness.  He'll keep me happy for days.

And don’t forget, he’s not just a model, he’s a MALE model.  (Why do they do that?  It’s like calling a female physician a “lady doctor.”  Very 1950s.)

11 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Geez, someone tell Fabio-Light that the 1980s called and wants its hair back.  I found him not hot at all.

I find him extremely unattractive, and it’s not just his hair, it’s his constant eye rolling and snarky face making.

• Love 14
(edited)

I very strongly noticed that Kaitlyn had no soundbites at all, except for the one about the giant doobie.  Not sure if she was purposely keeping quiet or if she was edited out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Guessing they still don’t care too much for Kaitlyn. We heard her say one thing. 

And that one thing was referencing "a giant doobie". She makes it too easy.

ETA: @Ms Blue Jay beat me to it. :D

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

And don’t forget, he’s not just a model, he’s a MALE model.  (Why do they do that?  It’s like calling a female physician a “lady doctor.”  Very 1950s.)

LOVE this comment.

I actually love manbuns by the way.  I usually find them so attractive.

@chocolatine, great minds....  always happy to be in your company.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I'm surprised to see that Colton is a favorite in this thread. He came off as disingenuous to me. Also he looks like Becca's ex who made an appearance last season and who's name I've forgotten.

I liked Garrett too. I get his sense of humor and he looks easy, yet fun to get along with.

• Love 5

No idea who Colton is but Becca's ex was HOT HOT HOT.... anyone who looks like him is probably fine by me.  LOL.  And with that, I might finally turn in.  Glad the show is back, everyone!!!  Hope we have a good season up ahead.

8 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

he looks easy

LOL

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

Because even in 2018, the majority of models are still women, so that's still considered the default gender.  And male models have a different career trajectory than their female counterparts do, including, believe it or not, a much shorter shelf life, according to Brazilian hunk and former male model-turned-TV-presenter Pedro Andrade.

• Love 1
(edited)

@legaleagle53, I'm sure many people know that, but I totally get why defaults like that bother @TomGirl because they bother me too.  When people use those defaults, it's like they're implying that not only are most models women but that most models 'should' be.  It makes the association between females and models way too strong when it doesn't need to be.  Same with 'male' stripper, and 'male' prostitute.  It's a bit more progressive to just say model when a man is a model, instead of male model, even if female models notoriously stand to make more money and garner a lot more fame.  With more equality, the dream is that these defaults become used less widely.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Because even in 2018, the majority of models are still women, so that's still considered the default gender.  And male models have a different career trajectory than their female counterparts do, including, believe it or not, a much shorter shelf life, according to Brazilian hunk and former male model-turned-TV-presenter Pedro Andrade.

It's stupid to refer to someone as a "male model" when it's already clear from the context that the person is male. Also, a gender-imbalanced industry does not justify sexist job titles. Try calling someone a "female engineer" or a "female CEO" and see what happens.

• Love 13
(edited)

I finally got my teenage daughter to watch this show with me. She was so resistant until I convinced her how utterly snarkworthy it would be. She was hooked. And, she is the biggest snarker I know. 

I loved Joe and was so disappointed to see him go. He was totally my type in looks, personality, and accent. But, I think he made a horrible entrance and was too nervous to make a good first impression. We were sure that if she had more time with him, she would have been more interested. Honestly, he was the only guy I really found attractive. Sigh.

I was disappointed to see her keep "male" model Jordan but he was comedy gold. I just wanted to see his reaction to being sent home after she kept the chicken man.

I didn't really like the long curly-haired dude, but he made a couple funny comments. I hope his personality is better than his looks. I didn't find him attractive at all.

Venmo dude seemed too nice and a bit boring. Becca seemed to really like the funny guys with fun personalities.

I was so glad to see the hometown boy being sent home. I mean, seriously?? If he really was interested in her and not just being on TV, he would have asked her out in person! In real life! 

And the dude with the ex (who was not his girlfriend...roll eyes) who sent the text...um, you did nothing to convince Becca you were "not that kind of guy." And he totally threw himself under the bus by saying he was surprised it was someone from 2 years ago bad mouthing him and not his recent last 2 girlfriends! Yeah, now I want to know what they have to say about him. LOL 

Overall, I liked Becca. I thought she was pretty down to earth and had a great attitude.

Edited by pinky33
  • Love 12
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

@legaleagle53, I'm sure many people know that, but I totally get why defaults like that bother @TomGirl because they bother me too.  When people use those defaults, it's like they're implying that not only are most models women but that most models 'should' be.  It makes the association between females and models way too strong when it doesn't need to be.  Same with 'male' stripper, and 'male' prostitute.  It's a bit more progressive to just say model when a man is a model, instead of male model, even if female models notoriously stand to make more money and garner a lot more fame.  With more equality, the dream is that these defaults become used less widely.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. I was simply pointing out why the distinction still exists.  The other perception, by the way, is that male models are gay, and while that's true to some extent (for example, Pedro Andrade, whom I mentioned upthread, is in fact openly gay), that's by no means true of all of them.  There are plenty of straight male models as well.

4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It's stupid to refer to someone as a "male model" when it's already clear from the context that the person is male. Also, a gender-imbalanced industry does not justify sexist job titles. Try calling someone a "female engineer" or a "female CEO" and see what happens.

In some circles?  Nothing.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

1 HOUR AGO, TOMGIRL SAID:

Is it just me, or is this the lamest group of guys ever??  No eye candy in this group IMHO.

I never like anyone on the first night. The only thing I really get excited about on night one is if during the "this season on The Bachelorette" preview there is an ambulance involved. I don't give two hoots about any lame ex-girlfriend texting drama; give me a good old-fashioned medical emergency (or faked one ala Kelsey Poe). 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Garrett also had an intro package showing him fishing? Outdoors in Reno. He did a weird impression I did not recognize. Was told it was supposed to be Chris Farley.

I recognized it as Chris Farley, so it was a decent impression. Kind of a dated and sorta frat boy reference, though.

33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He was talking like a tall Joe Pesci

Southside Chicago accent!

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I mean to their faces.

Same answer as above.  Not everyone makes a big deal out of it or considers it an insult.  In my former profession (paralegal off and on for 25 years), the majority of paralegals are women.  Would it have bothered me to be called a "male paralegal" to my face?  Not at all.  I AM male, and I WAS a paralegal.  Those are simply accepted facts to me, and I own them with pride.

Anyway, back to the regularly-scheduled snarkfest that is The Bachelorette!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, AllyCat said:

35 minute in to episode 1, and if I hear “Let’s do the damn thing” one more time, I’m going to get stabby. Bring back “amazing”, I can handle that all day long.

I’m stabby just hearing about this. I didn’t watch cause I can’t stand her saying that. So I came here instead 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thanks, MS BLUE JAY, very well said!

• Love 1

That was a rerun, right? Because it felt like we’d seen ALL of this before!

* Wrong reasons

* “I can’t believe she kept a guy in a mask (shark costume, riding a pig, with a man-bun) over me”

* journey

And the cocktail party is usually over when dawn is breaking, but the lighting looked like full-on daylight. Evil!!!

• Love 6

Between "Let's do the damn thing", and her fake laughter, I find Becca to be quite annoying. I don't think she's very pretty either. Without all the makeup, her extra large face is average at best.

• Love 5

Where are the eye candies?  Becca is either very tall or most of her suitors are short, because most of them are at eye level.  I think this group of guys is on par with Ashley's - yikes.  

• Love 1

Oh,  I can believe  Model Jordan would watch a Chick Flick.  ? ?

Chicago Produce Boy looks too old and rough-hewn. ? ???

Haiti Guy is a "Cologne-aseur"? Please,  Bro. ?

Blond Colton with CF cousin? Cute and philanthropic.  ?

• Love 1
(edited)
38 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

I'm surprised to see that Colton is a favorite in this thread. He came off as disingenuous to me. Also he looks like Becca's ex who made an appearance last season and who's name I've forgotten.

I liked Garrett too. I get his sense of humor and he looks easy, yet fun to get along with.

I got the same impression of Colton. He seems nice enough with the charity foundation and all but IDK he almost seemed too nice to me. Especially with the upcoming previews where he announces he's a virgin?? Not saying there can't be any out there but for a good looking guy his age I find that hard to believe. I just have a hinky feeling about this one.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 9
(edited)

Dimpled Greg is A-OK!

French Duchose is a'ight. 

Connor is the doofus who knelt.  The first "LDTDT!"

Joe said nothing. 

John the Engineer  has a weird "Asian,  Not Asian" look. 

Looong-Haired Leo? No. But I'll  bet he gets far in the JOURNEY. 

She had to hug Jordan twice.  He wore weird shoes.  He loves fashion. And shark-skin.

Alex the Construction Engineer was handsome. 

What was with Nick the Lawyer's  outfit and strip? Did I miss the motorcycle entrance?Oh, it was to remind Becca of ARI! Leo had him pegged!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2
(edited)

Fisher Man drove up in the mini-van. I like his humor. 

Leo doesn't like "the stench of competition." He took a wrong turn in Kathmandu. 

Blake and the Horse. Whyyyy?

Lincoln and the Cake. Okay,  he had a reason. And she'll say "Yum!" the next time she thinks of him! 

Chase.  We're gonna be PUNished. 

Darius is fiiine.

But Christon is fiiiner!

Bow-tie and Brocade Ryan is decent looking.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

Why do all these guys want to remind Becca of her catchphrase she used with Arie?  It was kind of their thing. They said, "Lets do the damn thing" multiple times during Arie's season. I wouldn't want my new boyfriend trying to bring up old memories with an ex and I definitely wouldn't want him to bring a picture of him or try to dress like him. What's wrong with these guys? Are they stupid? 

• Love 9
(edited)

Seattle Slick-Hair Jason with the Handshake was a bit silly,  but I think he's cute!

Glitter Tennis-Shoes Kalil calling for Becca to meet him half-way? Stole a kiss when she refused 60-40!

Jake is already an acquaintance....whom she didn't make a play for. 

Trent the Zombie.  

Colton still talking about fashion. Seafoam! Socks! Dress it,  Gurl!

Becca is still chuckling. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
2 hours ago, Bnwcat said:

Re: “here for the wrong reasons” guy

I didn’t like how the accused guy started to say something about “you know how women are dude “ when confronted. That and the “not really an ex, we were just dating for a month” made me skeptical.

He also said something like "I would have maybe expected it from one of my two exes, but not someone I dated for like two weeks." Red flags aplenty. Douche.

Whoever said there's no eye candy? Wrong! IMO, of course! ;)

2 hours ago, Mswldflwr said:

Yes, Garrett was minivan guy.

He used it to show he was ready for commitment and a family -- he had a car seat in there, and soccer balls, and various other relics of family life (in addition to just driving a minivan in itself). I remember Becca mentioning after he left to go into the mansion that she really liked / enjoyed that entrance.

• Love 5
(edited)

Nooooo! I blinked, and there was a CHICKEN costume on my TV screen! Going "Be-CAW! Be-CAW!"  David the Venture Capitalist (owns a lemonade stand, maybe?) never revealed his face to her.  

Okay,  I admit it,  I liked the choir (the bachelor was meh). Maybe because I liked the one at Harry and Meghan's wedding! 

Edited by LennieBriscoe

The dude that rode the bull reminds me of Liberace?.

TMZ  leaked some crazy stuff the last few days, so if u dont want to be spoiled, dont watch entertainment news.  TMZ is way bigger than Reality Steve, so the info is all over the internet...ABC must be scrambling!

My favorites are The football player, Colton, Chicken, and in some scenes Grocery Man...tho in other scenes his teeth look too big.

Globetrotter guy is cool, but it said Former...with no current job listed?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The blonde Jordan guy reminds me of Schmidt's character on New Girl.

Maybe he'll wear his driving moccasins and a fine timepiece on a future date! ;)

What does a fragrance entrepreneur do? I thought maybe he made and sold colognes, but it seems like he just likes/collects them?

I'm surprised Joe from Chicago (grocery store guy) got sent home -- he seemed real and nice (and looked a tiny bit like Kyle Chandler).

• Love 5
(edited)

Christi, thanks for the tip about TMZ. But it's enough.  ??

Clay reminds me of David Allan Grier. I adore DAG!

Christon has beautiful eyes. And  an awesome  dunk!  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2
(edited)

Um...Im not saying anything, other than stay away from entertainment news!  Hopefully ABC was able to stop it from spreading

Edited by Christi
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Where did "Let's do the damn thing" come from anyway? I'm so over it. You can't make a catchphrase a catchphrase. It's supposed to happen organically.

I know; it's so fetch.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Becca is so lame it's going to be hard to watch the whole season of her, so I'm just going to watch the eye candy tonight and be done with it.

I gave up on Arie's season after episode 1 and know nothing about Becca except that she was dumped by Arie after he proposed to her.  Based on tonight, I thought she was okay--pretty but bland, and more or less a carbon copy of every other bachelorette so far, so fill me in...what makes her lame?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

Kamil was 60% embarrassed and 40% sad at being let go.  

Leo is an a-hole if I understood what he said correctly.  At the rose ceremony, around the time the bitch faces make their appearances on the women on The Bachelor, he made a comment about “the sea of highway patrolmen” in reference to the other men and then made some sort of crack about how he would question “Miss Universe” (presumably in reference to Becca) if she chose them over him.  Maybe I misunderstood.

As usual, the funniest line on opening night was said by Chris Harrison when he said that twenty nine (or whatever number) of “America’s most eligible bachelors” were on their way to meet Becca.  Riiiiiiiiiight.

(Also, either one is eligible or they’re not; it isn’t a matter of degree.)

Leo was referring to their clean appearances when he said "a sea of highway patrolmen" and how he is different looking. Then he said he would question the universe, not Miss Universe. I didn't take anything he said to be mean. The only thing I find disturbing about him is how sexy he thinks his hair is. He doesn't realize it doesn't suit him. If he were clean shaven with short hair like the sea of patrolmen, he may be halfway decent looking. 

• Love 18

Is it just me, or is this the lamest group of guys ever??  No eye candy in this group IMHO.

This is the first premiere where I was having trouble even staying awake during the arrivals, let alone when they all went back to the mansion.  Not only is the eye candy low, but so far the backgrounds of the guys don’t even feel promising for good drama.

When the most exciting thing to happen in a two-hour episode is Becca talking to some guy she kind of, sort of knew before the show and them trying to decide how many times they’d briefly met, you know this show needs a really serious adrenaline boost.  It feels like they thought they’d just coast on the whole “poor Becca is sad ‘cause she got rejected thing” but that’s already getting majorly old.  Some of the guys better be bringing some more interesting baggage too or we have a real snoozefest.  Kick it up a few notches, please, show.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, b2H said:

I love how Kaitlyn got the short shrift in the girls’ time.

Kaitlyn mentioned on her Twitter page that she said a lot of inappropriate things during that girls meeting, so it was just as well they didn't show it

• Love 6
7 hours ago, pinky33 said:

Venmo dude seemed too nice and a bit boring. Becca seemed to really like the funny guys with fun personalities.

He did come across as boring on the show but based on his Instagram and FB pages, he seems like a sweet guy and a good catch---Ivy League engineer, one of Venmo's earliest employees so likely doing just fine financially, loves to cook, does volunteer work, close to his family, goofy sense of humor, runs marathons, travels a lot, sings and plays the guitar . . .

Instagram

Facebook

• Love 6

I would have just pushed Christon back into the limo and run off with him, because the rest just didn't do anything for me.  At least the chicken guy seemed funny. 

I liked Becca better than I did during her season, but time will tell.   I do think it will be fun to watch if she stays as confident in her choices as she was with Chase.  It wasn't lost on her that he was accusing his ex of lying before he even knew what she  said.

I thought her dress was beautiful but it needed more fitting.  She has no waist at all, so it seemed to be hanging like a sack from the shoulders.  Good tailoring could have camouflaged that a little bit for her.

Even though it means missing the best part (bloopers) I try to remember to turn the show off before the previews.  I forgot to last night, so now I think I know the final two.  What the heck, show?

• Love 9
(edited)
6 hours ago, tpplay said:

Can you folks who call Becca "lame" - tell me what exactly you mean by that?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt - I really don't know what you mean.

My impression from Arie's season is that she's kind of a geek.  Have you heard her catchphrase, "Let's do the damn thing"?  She said it like 45 times on the After the Final Rose show when Chris Harrison introduced her as The Bachelorette.  I saw on her Twitter profile that she trademarked it.  Not sure if she's joking or not.  She makes corny jokes, and instead of cursing she does like a religious parent's version of cursing.  Notice how she got a tattoo, but of course it's of a cross.  It's like trying to do rebellious things but doing the most G rated versions of them.

I didn't expect to like her, but I liked how she threw that guy from her hometown out the door.  It was hilarious.  Not what you'd expect from a geek.  She threw the other guy out at the end as well, the red flag guy.  She likes who she likes unapologetically and doesn't keep any of the red flag assholes. She was also really assertive with her exboyfriend when "he came to get her", even though he's really hot.  So that makes her cool I think.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Leo was referring to their clean appearances when he said "a sea of highway patrolmen" and how he is different looking. Then he said he would question the universe, not Miss Universe. I didn't take anything he said to be mean. The only thing I find disturbing about him is how sexy he thinks his hair is. He doesn't realize it doesn't suit him. If he were clean shaven with short hair like the sea of patrolmen, he may be halfway decent looking. 

I wonder if long-haired Leo also does stunts for women in long shots? Those are some gorgeous tresses - my curls aren't nearly as ringlet-y!

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sick of seeing guys in too tight hipster suits with the brown shoes.  This fashion trend can't end soon enough.

I like Colton the CF foundation the best.  I suspect he's too young for Becca but that's fine because I think he can do better than her lame ass.  I hope he stays long enough to get some publicity for his foundation though.   

I think Colton is the guy that was dating Tia up the beginnng of filming Becca’s season. He seems great so far, but if the Tia story is true I would be wary. 

• Love 2

Hello, I just registered on PTV yesterday to add comments. I have been reading these boards here for a few years at my work! The first episode of Bachelor/Bachelorette is the funniest. I really enjoy reading the hilarious tweets from past contestants, such as Tanner and Evan, who really make me laugh. I really like Becca so far.

• Love 7