Type keyword(s) to search

The Block - General Discussion

Kromm
  • Start Topic

On 8/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, rereader2 said:

There seems to be a lot less drama this year so far than in previous years--and I have to say I enjoy that. (Of course, it is early days yet...)

Yes they don't seem to have cast any villains, which I also appreciate. The couple who put in the outdated vertical garden seem like they might fight with each other, but so far not the other couples.

So far I like the netballers most, followed by the Queensland bogans.

I'm a little bored by the designs thus far, though. In previous seasons very distinctive looks were encouraged, but now the show seems very focused on targeting very specific markets and contestants are punished for veering away from those tastes.  

How dumb were the dummies who chose not to take the penthouses?!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, retrograde said:

How dumb were the dummies who chose not to take the penthouses?!

I don't know that the team that chose the apartment with the safe were dumb--there were a lot of goodies (and a lot of money) in that safe, which can make quite a difference to whether they have enough to finish well, and if the reserves are fair (which may not be a safe assumption, but if) they could win without a penthouse. 

The first couple to choose, though, that was incredibly dumb. What's the tradeoff, that they had a design in mind and it fit better?!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rereader2 said:

The first couple to choose, though, that was incredibly dumb. What's the tradeoff, that they had a design in mind and it fit better?!

Yeah, their explanation was that they wanted to do something more in line with the period of the building and thought the modern parts of the penthouse would clash too much -- but then the judges shat all over the period stuff. While I think they were dumb to turn down the penthouse, I actually don't really understand the judges' position on this. Sure, buyers will expect mod cons, but design wise, many people buying into this specific buildings probably surely would appreciate some era-appropriate character? 

• Love 2
On 15/08/2018 at 10:32 PM, rereader2 said:

There seems to be a lot less drama this year so far than in previous years--and I have to say I enjoy that. (Of course, it is early days yet...)

Indeed, so far so good and it's actually enjoyable to watch this year. Hope they continue on that front.

On the other hand, The Block NZ is also on and you'd have to look hard to see the reno work in the midst of all the drama (with production sh*t-stirring, misleading editing, dramatic music, false suspens and everything). So for this one I'm back to watching only the reveals day (unfortunately, the judges are awful).

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 9:36 PM, retrograde said:

Yeah, their explanation was that they wanted to do something more in line with the period of the building and thought the modern parts of the penthouse would clash too much -- but then the judges shat all over the period stuff. While I think they were dumb to turn down the penthouse, I actually don't really understand the judges' position on this. Sure, buyers will expect mod cons, but design wise, many people buying into this specific buildings probably surely would appreciate some era-appropriate character? 

I think that the judges would go for updated deco rather than actual deco--something that suggests deco rather than something that IS deco. (How one would do that is a secret locked in the judges tiny brains.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, rereader2 said:

I think that the judges would go for updated deco rather than actual deco--something that suggests deco rather than something that IS deco. (How one would do that is a secret locked in the judges tiny brains.)

Well it's not as if this show has been lacking in deco in recent seasons, anyway. Up there with "Scandi" as the most overused style. This season it all seems to be vague mid-century modern paired with shitty art. Kinda makes me miss Sticks and Wombat's wacky bushman aesthetic from last year -- at least it was original!

• Love 2
On 18/08/2018 at 3:36 AM, retrograde said:

Yeah, their explanation was that they wanted to do something more in line with the period of the building and thought the modern parts of the penthouse would clash too much

And now we learn that the reason they choose this apartment was because it was the one suited for that very tacky brass bathtub she's so excited about. Really? I'm not a huge fan of Keith, but I laughed at his reaction when he saw it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Sarnia said:

And now we learn that the reason they choose this apartment was because it was the one suited for that very tacky brass bathtub she's so excited about. Really? I'm not a huge fan of Keith, but I laughed at his reaction when he saw it.

Cannot. Wait. for the judges to hate on that bath. They're already this season's "the judges don't know what they're talking about and are so unfair" couple, but this will be next level.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, retrograde said:

Didn't disappoint. But I smell a redemption arc.

I hope not. All that drama and she didn't even get terribly low scores--higher than that room deserved, I would have said. I don't like the tub: It looks horribly uncomfortable, and what good is an uncomfortable soaking tub? And unless there's a layer of something between the brass and the room, the metal is going to leach all the heat from the water and you'd be sitting in rapidly cooling water in an uncomfortable tub, ugh. But if you HAVE to use a brass tub, shouldn't the fixtures be brass, so that it's not totally unconnected to the rest of the room? Also, I would have used solid black tiles behind the tub and on none of the other walls, to frame the tub without bringing the walls down on you.

• Love 1
On 26/08/2018 at 11:57 PM, retrograde said:

But I smell a redemption arc.

And you were right. So much for a drama-free season.
Norm and Jess' master bedroom and ensuite were very small for a penthouse appartment. It's surprising since the appartment is built from scratch, couldn't they manage a better space planning?

• Love 3

Also, was it just me, or were all the bedrooms almost exactly the same except for decor? I mean I know most buyers would be very happy with a nice bed facing a nice view and a walk-in wardrobe, but I recall the masters in previous seasons were usually very different and a chance to do some interesting things. Now they're all a bed in front of a partial wall that's masking the robe, and a single piece of art. 

I liked Bianca and Carla's the best, regardless. Why does Shayna always insist that women won't buy things unless they're draped in pink and flowers? Two women designed it, Shayna!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Sarnia said:

And you were right. So much for a drama-free season.

And it really wasn't the best bedroom, not at all. Also I don't think Spence and Kerrie's bedroom deserved all that slamming it got--all it needed was some color on the wall behind the headboard.

And seriously, why are those penthouse masters so tiny?

• Love 1

I wonder how much Spence knew about the show before entering. Everything he said about the ridiculous building methods and requirements, and the fact you can't do proper work in so little time, is very true, but that was obvious to anyone who has watched the previous seasons. I was surprised the editing allowed him to express himself so clearly on the subject (even though then they tried to let us think his opinion was based on his psychological troubles, which I didn't fully get as English is not my first language and I couldn't understand what was wrong with him). I feel more sorry for him than for Sara.

So far my favorite couple is Norm and Jess. They are hard working, and Jess is such a funny and positive person.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Sarnia said:

I wonder how much Spence knew about the show before entering. Everything he said about the ridiculous building methods and requirements, and the fact you can't do proper work in so little time, is very true, but that was obvious to anyone who has watched the previous seasons. 

Even when the time works out, the contestants who come in expecting "high-quality craftsmanship" to put them ahead generally fail because the judges care way more about styling. This, again, would be clear to anyone who's watched previous seasons. And the case in point was on this very episode: Ronnie and Georgia, who regularly scored top marks because of nice furnishings despite really shoddy work.  

Meanwhile, what was up with Ronnie's mid-life crisis beard?

I like Jess more and more with all episodes (and Sarah, less and less). I guess it is partly thanks to editing (for Sarah especially, I can't believe someone can be so needy, selfish and clueless). But I would like to be friends with Jess, and it's the first time it's happened to me in any reality show. I hope her and Norm do well at auction.
And yes, I hope whoever designed those ridiculous floor plans gets a carreer change.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 2

Giant neon signs, voice activated player pianos... that's the kind of wackadoo bogan shit I tune into this show for. It felt like the contestants were all very conservative and boring in their own apartments this year and saved the fun stuff they actually wanted to do for this last bonus apartment. No one watches this to see tasteful and inoffensive decor, though, do they?  

Meanwhile, looks like next year's block will be another St Kilda hotel makeover. This is says it's double the size of the Gatwick, which just seems stupid. Every year they push the size of the apartments/houses and every year the contestants struggle even more to finish nice rooms on time. But I don't think anyone watching actually cares if each year is "bigger than ever" or if the sale prices go higher each season.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

I am watching this in Canada on Gusto. I am up to poolgate but I only just started watching. Did the people putting in the big pool do some shady stuff early on?

Ronnie and Georgia? I have blocked most of this out, but I think they were super competitive and just generally acted like jerks to the other teams. I think also they may have at some point blocked one of the teams from doing something that team required permission from all the other teams to do? So by the time the pool thing rolled around, no one was inclined to help them or cut them any slack. 

15 minutes ago, rereader2 said:

That was a very unsatisfying result. Fiction would never be so poorly foreshadowed!

Word. Still can't understand why anyone would opt to pay more for one the lower-level rooms rather than buying a penthouse. Even if you hated all the decor, it'd surely be worth it for the deck and tall ceilings. Maybe the buyer really wanted that bath. 

• Love 2

Finally saw the season, and want to go on record that it's ridiculously unfair (though ultimately not really a game changer) that the girls got to make the decision about whether Kim & Chris could also share in the increased-window-space advantage.  And, game or not, morally wrong to decide as they did.  I don't love Kim and Chris' style, but I was on their side at least for the rest of the season!

On 2018-08-19 at 3:33 AM, Sarnia said:

Indeed, so far so good and it's actually enjoyable to watch this year. Hope they continue on that front.

On the other hand, The Block NZ is also on and you'd have to look hard to see the reno work in the midst of all the drama (with production sh*t-stirring, misleading editing, dramatic music, false suspens and everything). So for this one I'm back to watching only the reveals day (unfortunately, the judges are awful).

I finished The Block a couple of weeks ago and immediately started watching The Block NZ. Such a difference! Much bigger budget for The Block and really lovely people for the most part (excepting Sara and Hayden, of course). The Block NZ definitely did more conventional casting, with villains Amy & Stu. Sara and Hayden just come across as selfcentered and poorly educated. I appreciated Sara more by the end of the show though - I couldn't imagine having to do with the lazy Hayden in real life. And it's a good thing they won so much. Anyone that's seen Hayden work on the show would never ever want to hire him as a project manager. Extremely lazy and incompetent. The judges on NZ are so bad, they make The Block judges appear to be brilliant. At least I could see what they were going for and didn't have the blatant bias for one team.

On 2018-10-10 at 8:11 AM, Sarnia said:

I like Jess more and more with all episodes (and Sarah, less and less). I guess it is partly thanks to editing (for Sarah especially, I can't believe someone can be so needy, selfish and clueless). But I would like to be friends with Jess, and it's the first time it's happened to me in any reality show. I hope her and Norm do well at auction.
And yes, I hope whoever designed those ridiculous floor plans gets a carreer change.

I'd like to see that architect replaced by Ben of The Block NZ! My favourite contestant on that version.

And yes, I absolutely loved Jess by the end of the show. Generally, a great cast. You can tell that they will stay in touch afterwards, with the noticable exception of Sara and Hayden. I have no idea why anyone would prize Sara and Hayden's home over the rest. My favourite units were those of Jess & Norm, followed by Bianca and Carla. I also liked their personalities the most, it's as their homes were infused with their light, sunny personalities.

I actually loved this show and watched it almost nonstop. It has replaced The Mole (original 2 seasons) as my favourite reality show of all time. I haven't watched any of the previous seasons, so my enthusiasm might be tempered by that version. In this case, it was definitely the cast that made the show. I also liked The Gatwick as a location. Looking forward to the 2019 season! I hope they bring back Jess & Norm for guest appearances! Or have Jess become a professional designer and replace the hideous Shayna as judge.

• Love 1

That song is so so annoying....but I find that I am now singing along! That's what happens when you have over 40 episodes per season.

I love the show but really can't stand the judges. After season five, it's a tossup which ones I despise more - Stu or Jason. Not that Amy is any kind of prize either. I know there is a lot of producer manipulation but I can't help but feel, all three of them are petty with a nasty streak a mile wide. I was so so disappointed that the boys didn't come first. I am not crazy about Amy's styling at all, but even if you are - the bare bones of the house, the architecture, are far more important than including mustard pillows in every room! I just don't get it. Amy and Stu's house would have been my last choice. Their backyard especially sucked. My favourite was Tom and Ben (almost wrote "Bean!") followed by Claire and Anji. The girls house was nice and would be a great place to live, but I felt it lacked the personality of the other two. Amy and Stu would have been far far below my taste threshold. I just don't understand how the public and the bidders agreed with the judges and paid such a ridiculous amount of money. It felt like the whole thing was a fix, like Stu was related to the producers.

Edited by PrePreBabylonia
Them not us! We're not petty....

Only just realised this is back. On the upside, I have been catching up by only watching room reveals, so I don't have to see all the ~*~drama~*~ and can just snark on the shitty designs and decor (though this year mostly isn't as bad as others).

But now I also can't tell most of the couples apart. Of those I can, I like Mitch and Mark the most just for doing something different, the know-it-all real estate agent the least. 

I know I say this every year, but making the building even bigger than ever is stupid and just leads to unfinished rooms. As evidenced by the first week when basically no teams finished. 

Another year of (relatively) tiny, boring master bedrooms. The show continues to emphasize choosing nice towels and mirrors over actual quality construction. 

Also: Double Ds divorcing

• Love 2
On 6/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I've been watching reruns on Amazon Prime. They must have spent a fortune on music licensing. All these song snippets are annoying.

I wonder whether Australian law allows short snippets without having to license or pay for them, because if so that would explain why such short snippets all the time.

Love this show. Been watching for years and never thought to look for it here... major derp.

Season 19 premieres in Australia on Sunday August 6, 2023.

https___prod.static9.net.png

The Blockheads will make over five houses built and designed in the 1950s. With the original furnishings and structures still in place, they'll be confronted and challenged by all sorts of unexpected twists, which come with renovating 70 year old homes!

My body is ready.