Type keyword(s) to search

Succession in the Media

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, RealReality said:

When is this show coming back?

All TV production has been shut down by the pandemic, so it will probably be a while.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Emmy nominations came out this morning and pretty much everyone with a speaking role on the show earned one.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Brian Cox, Succession

Jeremy Strong, Succession

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Sarah Snook, Succession

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Nicholas Braun, Succession

Kieran Culkin, Succession

Matthew Macfadyen, Succession

Guest Actor in a Drama Series

James Cromwell, Succession

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Cherry Jones, Succession

Harriet Walter, Succession

Along with Outstanding Drama and Outstanding score

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

The Hollywood Reporter has an interesting post-nomination notification interview with Matthew MacFadyen posted.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/succession-star-matthew-macfadyen-shows-18-emmy-nominations-status-season-3-1304768?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0qRIPVMCGCcqwmgORPXuSBTYX9F7gM6RIOxN5-K0ppVk978jszVZT4PP0

Here are a couple of humorous highlights:

How do you think the Roy family would handle a pandemic like this one?

I feel like it would sort of be a fly in their ointment. Maybe Tom would turn into the super-spreader and infect most of Waystar. I imagine Tom and Greg both would be terrible, terrible asymptomatic super-spreaders. But I think Logan would be protected, maybe in a bunker somewhere in Geneva.

What’s the best part of not having to worry about a red carpet?

It’s the awful-sweaty-fearful boredom that you get from an awards ceremony. It’s like half terror, half dreadful boredom. Because they go forever. And if you’re up for something, you’re excited but nervous. But after three hours, you just want to kill yourself. This all sounds terribly ungracious but it’s the truth and anyone who tells you differently is a liar.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

May 2020 interview via Zoom with several cast members, mostly talking about the process of developing chemistry between characters.  They say often that they continue to film after the written script so they're kind of improvising to see what kind of dynamics there might be between characters.

For instance, the thing between Jerri and Roman developed out of one of these extended scenes.

They also like the freedom that cameramen have to float around the scene, especially the large ensemble scenes that the show is known for, instead of the traditional camera blocking done on other TV and movie productions.

Brian Cox says HBO is working on what's possible, when and where they would film.  They mostly film in NY but also some European locations.

He says Jesse Armstrong, the creator and show runner, has told him what his season 3 arc will be.  But in the first two seasons, the actors didn't know where their characters would end up.  For instance, Jeremy Strong said he didn't know how Kendall would end up at the end of season 2 when they started filming the season.  But he was one who continually asked Armstrong about his character while the other actors went with it, trying to capture the moment and see which way the characters would lead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Jesse Armstrong is saying tentatively they hope to start shooting around Christmas.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/succession-season-3-production-shooting-new-york-before-christmas-1234728963/

But as much as I want to see a new season, I hope they're extra-cautious for older cast members like Brian Cox.

Armstrong says this extra time hasn't necessarily helped him with the work for season 3.

As for how the workflow for season 3 is coming along, Armstrong said that, like many writers, the expanded amount of time he now has to develop the upcoming season isn’t necessarily proving all that helpful.

“We are letting the work expand to fill the acres of time we’ve suddenly found. I’m probably making no more progress than if I’d had six weeks instead of the six months that we’ve had,” he said.

Makes sense, since a lot of the way scenes and even story lines were formed were based on the improvisations the actors did when they shot the scenes.  He may prefer to keep his options open on which way story arcs develop based on how rehearsals and scene shoots go.

There has also been talk about whether season 3 might reference the pandemic:

Questions have been raised about whether season 3 will address the pandemic in any way, shape or form, and one the show’s biggest stars Sara Snook recently told Variety that if Armstrong does include it, he “wants to be delicate about it and just classy.”

“I think it’s a thing that everybody’s aware of, and audiences are really intuitive these days. Even just seeing a mask in the background of something or hand sanitizer, those things that have become part of our daily lives, those things maybe, but nothing that is so overt that is going to really tackle it head on, because that’s not the show,” Snook said. “We want to see the Roys doing the thing that they’ve been doing that we love, not pivoting towards a pandemic story.”

Some interesting possibilities there.  What if ATN, the fictitious network owned by the Roys, was spewing bad information about the pandemic like Fox News, its real-life counterpart, leading to arguments within the family?

But Snook said she didn't think the show would address it head on.

Recently one of Rupert Murdoch's sons resigned from News Corp because he apparently disagreed with what the media properties were doing.  Of course Kendal already resigned, putting Logan on blast about the toxic culture he fostered, so maybe they're more on the trajectory of #MeToo and cancel culture.

Media mogul Sumner Redstone, who largely inspired the character of Logan Roy, passed away last week.

Redstone was famously profane and regularly shouted down others (sound familiar?). In his later years communication was difficult, so he used an iPad programmed with recordings of his voice allowing him to respond "yes", "no" and "fuck you".

Hmm I wonder about these new cast members.

I think the original cast members are all great.  Would hate to see someone like Greg lose air time to these better-known actors.

I don’t want less dialog from Tom, Siobhan, Roman, etc.

• Love 2
On 5/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, xaxat said:

You just added a new location!

Everywhere Succession Has Been Filming Lately

Speaking of locations, it appears they're in Italy, some kind of village on the water, maybe Lake Como.

It's in the "Official Tease"

Hate to say it but the Roy children all look visibly older.  Pandemic has not been good to them or it's been two long years, if not longer, since they filmed season 2.

Ironically, Logan may not look too different.

• Love 2

I'm so glad that they didn't make Kendall more competent and or confident after the events of last year's finale. 

He's still a failson.

That musical theme is so awesome.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:03 AM, aghst said:

I think the original cast members are all great.  Would hate to see someone like Greg lose air time to these better-known actors.

Same. I hate when a show has a cast that is really good and they add characters whose face you’ve seen a hundred times. I’d rather watch character actors than “movie stars” who have no movies to make.  

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 12:03 AM, aghst said:

I trust the writers. They know the show is about the family. But I also think they had to add new cast members because the fundamental dynamic of the show has changed. In this fight for the company, Logan, Kendall (and probably the rest of the family) need access to outside investors in this battle. 

I look forward to the story about the Trojan Horse Shiv is standing next to in the trailer. Something tells me it is going to be hilarious.

New season starts October 17.  I just rewatched the seasons because I couldn’t remember anything.    I’m glad I did, now I won’t be confused.  The Kendall part makes more sense too.  I forgot how it ended.   That was a big ending. 

There are going to be a lot of podcasts on the show this season.

That's just among the podcasts I already subscribe to.

There seems to be anticipation that this new season will take the show to a new level ratings-wise and generate much greater buzz than previous seasons.

In fact, higher buzz and more online engagement than shows like Mare of Easttown and White Lotus has in the past year, is my prediction.

• Love 2

I highly recommend this new podcast. He’s British, she’s American, they’re married and their perceptive, extremely funny views on Succession are priceless.

Oops, can’t post a link for some reason but it’s the Firecrotch & Normcore Succession Podcast. 

• Useful 1

Therapist with billionaire clients talk about how they're like characters in Succession./

What could possibly be challenging about being a billionaire, you might ask. Well, what would it be like if you couldn’t trust those close to you? Or if you looked at any new person in your life with deep suspicion? I hear this from my clients all the time: “What do they want from me?”; or “How are they going to manipulate me?”; or “They are probably only friends with me because of my money.” 

Then there are the struggles with purpose – the depression that sets in when you feel like you have no reason to get out of bed. Why bother going to work when the business you have built or inherited runs itself without you now? If all your necessities and much more were covered for the rest of your life – you might struggle with a lack of meaning and ambition too. My clients are often bored with life and too many times this leads to them chasing the next high – chemically or otherwise – to fill that void.

Most of the people I see are much more willing to talk about their sex lives or substance-misuse problems than their bank accounts. Money is seen as dirty and secret. Money is awkward to talk about. Money is wrapped up in guilt, shame, and fear. There is a perception that money can immunise you against mental-health problems when actually, I believe that wealth can make you – and the people closest to you – much more susceptible to them.

I see family situations like those in Succession all the time. People like the series’ lead character, Logan Roy, who came from humble beginnings to create an incredibly successful media empire. His entire life has been focused on his business. However, it is evident that he has failed miserably at raising fully functioning children.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/22/therapist-super-rich-succession-billionaires

Unsurprisingly, they develop little empathy for people outside their bubble.

These very wealthy children start out by going to elite boarding schools and move on to elite universities – developing a language and culture among their own kind. Rarely do they create friendships with non-wealthy people; this can lead to feelings of isolation and being trapped inside a very small bubble.

There are few people in the world to whom they can actually relate, which of course leads to a lack of empathy. The next time you watch Succession, see how the Roys interact with their staff and others outside their circle. Notice the awkwardness and lack of human connection and how dreadfully they treat each other. It’s fascinating and frightening. When one leads a life without consequences (for being rude to a waiter or cruel to a sibling, for example) there really is no reason to not do these things. After a while, it becomes normalised and accepted. Living a life without rules isn’t good for anyone.

• Love 1

The Slate Money podcast recaps each Succession episode.  They noticed all these guest stars, in one-off roles in season 3.

So these characters they introduce never have a chance to develop or have continuity.

Contrast that to Holly Hunter last season whose character Rhea had an arc for a good chunk of the season.

They speculate that filming under pandemic conditions earlier this year may be partly responsible for all these one-time guest stars.

Maybe next season they introduce characters with multiple-episode arcs again.

Succession nominated for eight Critics Choice Awards, the most of any series.

http://criticschoice.com/2021/12/television-nominations-announced-for-the-27th-annual-critics-choice-awards/

Succession (HBO) – 8

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series – Brian Cox

Best Actor in a Drama Series – Jeremy Strong

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Nicholas Braun

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Kieran Culkin

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Matthew Macfadyen

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – J. Smith-Cameron

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Sarah Snook