Type keyword(s) to search

S.14.E26: Live Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

The winner is crowned.

Guest performers included Ryan Adams, James Bay, Florence & the Machine, Dua Lipa, Halsey & Big Sean, Jason Aldean, Jennifer Hudson, and Julia Michaels. Last season's winner, Chloe Kohanski also returns with her debut single.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I figured it would be Brynn or Britton when you consider the viewing demo of the show.  Brynn has plenty of time and room to get even better and congrats to Kelly as a first-time coach who clearly was invested.  The show tonight was a bit of a mess between Chloe's "performance" and the one quartet with an the strange dance-y song.  Idol was a mess last night as well... something just isn't clicking with me like it once did with either of the shows.  I suspect its that both shows now seem to be more about the judges than the contestants.  

something something get off my lawn something

• Love 17

That was probably the most blah finale I've seen this show. I didn't even watch it all.... and when it was really good I'd sit through the whole show, live!  The guests were even lackluster for me. Not surprised Bryn won although I didn't think she was an amazing singer(but she still has a lot of vocal development to do since she's young) Weirdly I'm happier that  Kelly won than I am than Brynn won, if you know what I mean.

Is Kelly coming back next season or skipping a season?

• Love 10
(edited)

Kelly will be back next season, along with the returning JHud. I'm mildly interested to see how they interact/react to each other.

I felt like like Britton and Kyla each getting to do a "team" performance while Brynn did not maybe was the tip off that she had this thing won....but I still wasn't convinced until Carson said her name.

The Spensha & Kane Brown duet was a beautiful tongue out to everyone who thinks Spensha just isn't country enough. Kane Brown is not anywhere near traditional country, either and he happens to have the number one song in country music right now. That duet, What If's (which he does with American Idol alum Lauren Alaina) has also been a massive, massive radio smash too.

Seeing Ryan Adams show up was interesting.

Really, really liked Brynn and Julia Michaels's duet. It was like with her original song last night and this duet, the show thought maybe at the last possible second (with her about to win the whole thing) that they should age Brynn back to something somewhat appropriate for her 15 years old instead of sending her out sounding and looking like the 35 year old she's looked and sounded like most of this season two more times.

Apparently this may hurt the USA's medal count in the 2024 or 2028 Olympics slightly as Brynn was on track be a part of the Women's Field Hockey team for Paris or L.A.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

I read online that Kelly won this season. I watched a little of the finale part 1 performances the day it aired and didn’t like any of the contestants (although the one guy’s original song was okay), so all I’ll say is I’m happy Kelly Clarkson won since I'm a big fan of her and I’m looking forward to her being on a season with Jennifer Hudson.

• Love 2

I tried to watch the recording of the finale but couldn't generate enough energy/interest after stopping watching when they got to 10 and I still didn't care that much about anyone.  Very meh season and it seems like it is going a little bit like one ok season, one meh season, one ok season, one meh season.

I still love the blinds and seeing/hearing all the hopeful contestants.  It's just a lot to keep that interest going week after week.  Sometime in the Knockouts it either becomes a season I feel like watching, or ends up being a season I can only maintain just barely enough interest to check here to see what is going on.

Here's hoping next season will be good.  It will be kind of interesting to see who is going to get more words in between Kelly and JHud.

• Love 9

A bad ending to the worst-ever season of the show. I used to enjoy watching every episode, but I could barely bring myself to tune into the last 10 minutes, just to see the inevitable. Brynn has some potential, nothing more, and wouldn't have been even a semi-finalist in previous seasons. Kyla probably had the best voice of the finalists, even though the likelihood of her being able to have a successful solo career is debatable at best, but demographics being what they are, she had no hope in hell of winning this show.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Valny said:

Weirdly I'm happier that  Kelly won than I am than Brynn won, if you know what I mean.

That was exactly my first thought, too. I’m fine with Brynn’s win because she’s a good singer, but I don’t see myself actually buying her music. For me it was about rooting for Kelly.

I agree that this was a boring season. Next season I’ll watch through the knockouts (I actually like Jennifer Hudson), but if I don’t love the contestants once they get to the live rounds, I’ll sit it out.

• Love 7

Very happy for Kelly, and so glad she'll be back next year, but what a bummer to hear Jennifer Hudson will be returning too.  I was hoping it would be Pharrell instead.

• Love 10
(edited)

Congratulations to Brynn on her win.  I hope she's able to put the money for her education.  She was very fortunate. She must be so thrilled.  Not my choice, but, I'm okay with it. I was really expecting Kyla to take it, though, I was rooting for Britton. 

I tried to watch portions of the performances  last night, but, it was just not good, imo.  I did like that little skit they did showing Kelly wearing all these hats since she joined the show, directing, lighting, maintenance, etc.  I like funny stuff, which is very unlike the stuff that AI had this season.  You could tell that Kelly is an extra hard worker. 

Okay.  I am now making my move away from this show for next season.  JHud is not one of my favorites. (I did enjoy the song she and Kyla did.)  And, I will only tune in to see if any other contestants from my state (NC) look promising next season.  If there are, I'll know something is up.  I mean, isn't that too coincidental?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

JHud is not one of my favorites. (I did enjoy the song she and Kyla did.)  

I just wanted to highlight this because that duet was sooooo good. Hairspray (musical version) is a favourite and they both sounded so good. (I knew JHud would from the time she was in the TV event) I don't know where Kyla fits in the modern music scene but that woman can sing so I do hope she finds a place and has some serious success.

I'm okay with Brynn winning. That Julia Michaels song was a big old nothing live, but it'll probably sound great on the radio so much success to her. I do think she's got a great tone and a cool vibe so I get why people were drawn to her. I wasn't that enthusiastic about any of the final four so I'm happy for Kelly.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not sure what it was that changed my opinion of Brynn.  Maybe, I'm just fickle.  But, it seemed that in the beginning I found Brynn exceptional.  I posted about her around here and even voted for her a few times.  Then, it seemed that every song seemed to disappoint.  Maybe, it was the song arrangement or the strain on her voice.....IDK. It just sounded off to me.   Apparently, most viewers felt the opposite way. lol 

I agree that Kyla is talented. It's just that hard core talented vocals won't necessarily help you win singing shows anymore. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I was glad to see a coach other than Blake win, and I'm glad that it was Kelly.  She's really "extra," as even she has said, and sometimes it gets on my nerves lol! But she brought new life to the show and is a great coach (I'd even say the best of the four) so I'm happy to hear she's coming back next year.  Not so happy to see JHud coming back...but not sure who else could go in that seat...

Brynn's original song kind of reminded me of Adele's Send My Love.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Very happy for Kelly, and so glad she'll be back next year, but what a bummer to hear Jennifer Hudson will be returning too.  I was hoping it would be Pharrell instead.

I'm with you.  I stopped watching after the show went to "lives."  I completely lost interest.  I dvr'd last night and will fast forward to the end because I want to see Kelly's reaction when her contestant won.  I love Kelly and am sorry that I just couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the season.  I used to like Jennifer Hudson but lately she has become insufferable so I might just have to FF through her part next year.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

The finale was so underwhelming, my DVR spontaneously wiped it before I had a chance to finish ffing--I mean, watch the show. 

My DVR always does this whenever I FF too rapidly. I feel like it's saying to me, "Incandescent, you clearly don't like what you're watching. Stop wasting my space and both our time!" And my DVR's right. I only really enjoy the battle and knockout rounds of the Voice at this point.

• Love 3

Well, I suppose that Brynn will have the rest of the summer off, so she can do tv appearances, work on recording, do interviews, make public appearances, and generally generate more interest in her career, RIGHT? Nope.   lol  Oh no, after this week, I doubt we'll see much of anything from her.  But, that's okay.  Presumably, her winnings are gravy and she can put them in savings for her education and just be a normal student, until college.   Unless, Kelly really steps in and takes over the next steps, Brynn's journey to stardom will take the same path that most of the other Voice winners have.  

Interesting article: (Good for Adam)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/12/21/can-the-the-voice-winner-chloe-kohanski-be-the-shows-first-real-superstar/?utm_term=.8ba902a9cd31

Chloe, Chris Blue and Sundance have no albums yet.

Heh.  Glad I missed it.

Except I would have REALLY been unhappy had that guy (why can't I remember his name?  because I dislike his mumbly singing so much?) won.

Thanks, fellow posters.  Enjoyed discussing the show with y'all.

• Love 2

This is the first Voice finale in history that I basically let my husband take control of the TV and watch ME TV for most of the two hours.  I didn't give a shit until the last 10 minutes, just to find out who the winner was.  And the winner was the one I thought should not have been in the finals, so, go me, for missing this craptastic season finale this year.

• Love 4

The best vocalist did not win!  But my group watches for the performances.  We do not invest in the outcome.

The winner will fade into never should have won limbo and another season will begin.

I will be there watching the performances and marveling at the lack of appreciation for true vocal talent.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm okay with Brynn winning.  I doubt she would have even made the final on most other seasons, but the talent was so weak this season that she did as much to deserve the win as anybody else. 

I was leaning slightly towards Kyla coming into this week, but she did not have a good night on Monday.  She was indulgently over the top on "With a Little Help from My Friends" and had by far the worse original song.  Besides, if she had won, it would most likely have been a repeat of what happened after Jermaine Paul won Season 2 (another sympathetic former background singer with a big voice, but no place in the current music industry).

I do think its funny the way the Washington Post seems to have recycled their review after Chloe won (linked in a post above) to say almost the same things about Brynn:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/05/23/the-voice-finale-how-brynn-cartellis-win-could-be-a-game-changer-for-the-show/?utm_term=.9ffec02db17c&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

While I'm not nearly as optimistic as the Washington Post reviewer, the studio version of "Walk My Way" does sound like the kind of catchy bop you could hear on the radio these days.  I guess Brynn could eventually evolve into what goes for a pop star.  But I'm glad that in all her post win interviews, she's been quite insistent about going back to high school (and even continuing with field hockey if she can).  .

I did like Chloe's new single and hope it gains some traction.  Otherwise, it was a fairly disappointing finale that perfectly suited this disappointing season.  Jennifer & Kyla were great.  Other highlights included Brynn with Julia Michaels and Florence+the Machine.  But most of the rest of the performances were kind of blah.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

I fast forwarded through everything just to see who won. Patting myself on the back as I called Brynn winning early in the season. My theory was that In the absence of any real strong contestant, the cute little girl is going to win. America (at least the pop music buying segment) seems to have an obsession with young girl singers. That "original" song she did, which consisted of three words repeated endlessly over a dance track, pretty much encapsulates everything that sadly pop music has become - boring, soulless, mass produced product.

The blinds are now probably the only part of this show I enjoy. And some of the battle round pairings have a "can't look away from a train wreck" kind of entertainment value. 

Next season I'm probably out after the battle rounds.  The longer into the season this show gets, the duller it gets. Once they get into the solo performances, the over-the-top production (band way too loud, hundreds of back up singers and dancers) overshadows the singers.

Also, did not enjoy Jennifer Hudson as a coach, because of her need to make everything about herself.

Are the contestants really getting less talented each season? That's how it feels to me.

• Love 3
On 5/23/2018 at 7:10 AM, TaraS1 said:

My interest very much waned throughout this season, and I realized I was only there for Kelly, who I found to be delightful.  But I just cannot with Jennifer Hudson (lasted one whole blinds episode last season) and even Kelly is not enough reward for putting up with JHud.  Too bad.