Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E14: It is Game Time Kids

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Unfortunately, I don't see TPTB abandoning the F4 fire making challenge now that twice in a row the winner of the season would most likely have been gone at 4. (and I won't talk about the winner here, because - policy!)

Fortunately, we got a decent final pool. Granted, next to Dominic and Wendell, Laurel's chance seemed pretty slim. But it's one of the few times when I would have been ok with any winner amongst the two really in consideration. I can count on the fingers of one hand when that happened: Yul/Ozzy, Sandra/Parvati, maybe Parvati/Amanda? So, there's that.

Still, I thought Laurel pled her case pretty convincingly.

I regret that there were so many idols still in the hands of the most powerful challenge and strategic threats so late in the game. It would have been more compelling if all had to hustle more for their survival in the game. Although, Dom's play at that first tribal was as ballsy as it gets.

Something was really wonky with the way this season was edited.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Subrookie said:

I'm not normally in the tin foil hat camp but something about the FTC doesn't seem legit. 

If the producers were willing to just count the votes on the island rather than wait for the LA show why would they not follow through when it was a tie? They had to have known, in advance, it was going to be a tie and planned it to go back to the reunion show.

I really thought it was a different twist we haven't seen since probably S1, but it got ruined for me because they didn't follow it through and announce the winner there. 

There is a cameraman (and probably a producer) right there when they're voting. They know right then how the vote goes and spend the next three/nine months editing the show and creating a storyline with that knowledge. The whole 'we'll read the votes at the reunion' is an act - the only people who don't know the result are the castaways and the audience. 

In this case, Jeff goes over to get the urn and they tell him it's a tie, he arranges the votes for suspenseful reading, then takes the urn back to TC, as he always does, but instead of saying he'll read the votes in LA he just reads them there, then Laurel votes. There's no fore-knowledge or extra production shenanigans required. 

• Love 16

Just when I was thinking that maybe Kellyn wasn't as bad as I thought, she had to throw in "it's just one word" when Dominick was saying something about how distasteful something was and he was pausing while thinking of what he wanted to say.  Alrighty, I really do dislike her.  Way to insert yourself, once again, into a situation and try to make yourself sound superior Kellyn.  Also, big indicator which way her vote was going to go.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/24/2018 at 1:56 PM, Subrookie said:

If the producers were willing to just count the votes on the island rather than wait for the LA show why would they not follow through when it was a tie? They had to have known, in advance, it was going to be a tie and planned it to go back to the reunion show.

They had to read the votes at FTC so that Laurel could cast her vote there instead of at the reunion after she had seen the show, as seeing the final edited product could possibly have affected her vote. But they held the reading of her vote until the reunion because that's where they prefer to announce the winner. They did announce the winner at FTC in season one, but after that always at the reunion because they want to minimize the possibility of spoilers getting out.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6

Oh, man. I genuinely feel bad for Laurel. That's a lot to take in in a very short period of time: thinking it's out of your hands and you have to wait months to learn the result, hearing that they're reading the votes live, finding out you already lost, having to decide which of your closest allies you have to disappoint, having to keep that secret until the show... that would suck.

I was hoping Dom would put himself in the fire challenge for the drama, but he was probably smart not to. Going to the end with Wendell was not his preferred scenario, but it also wasn't the worst possible scenario (losing the fire challenge and getting knocked out of final three). He risked his second worst/best scenario in order to avoid the very worst one, and that makes sense.

My favourite moment was Angela saying she was happy to be part of a plan that wasn't against her. That's all we can really hope for.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

There was a point around one of the commercials during the episode that Probst began with "Okay we know Ghost Island as an idea..." and he paused, then finished by saying "was kind of a goofy (or maybe cheesy something like that) idea." I was so waiting for an apology for what a dud the entire concept was 

I actually didn't think it was a bad idea - just executed horribly!

17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Sea Bass:  You were so mean!  Yeah, dude, I was totally voting you out of the game in a blindside, but I'm a lover and you're a meanie.

I hope to never see Sea Bass again.  I'm surprised Kellyn thought Wendell was the strategist when it was Dom calming her high-strung ass down all the time. 

Sebastian and Kellyn were the bitter jurors of this season :). He surprised me; she did not.

7 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Also to me they didn't really have charisma, if there was an audience's favourite survivor vote this season I'm not sure either would have won it even though they got to the end.  Some charisma helps you accept some of the confidence as a viewer, their confessionals weren't exciting to me.

They must have had some kind of charisma out there - any talk of getting rid of them was tattled on immediately!  Sebastian thought he had it made when he didn't have to include Laurel - but no such luck!

32 minutes ago, SourK said:

My favourite moment was Angela saying she was happy to be part of a plan that wasn't against her. That's all we can really hope for.

So happy that she ran off and blew it up 2 minutes later.  Taking her from nonentity to asshole in my opinion :)

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

They had to read the votes at FTC so that Laurel could cast her vote there instead of at the reunion after she had seen the show, as seeing the final edited product could possibly have affected her vote. But they held the reading of her vote until the reunion because that's where they prefer to announce the winner. They did announce the winner at FTC in the season one, but after that always at the reunion because they wanted to minimize the possibility of spoilers getting out.

Now that I know what happens when there is a tie, I would think that, when the jury votes at FTC, they would also have each of the three finalists vote between the other two in case there ends up being a tie.  They could even have the finalist vote first so the really don't know that there will  be a tie.  Then at the reunion, they could read the votes, declare a tie, and then read the tie-breaking vote.  

• Love 5

I wonder if Angela would have voted for Dom if he had put a different spin on having her go up against Wendell in the fire making challenge. He put such an emphasis on how his only goal was getting Wendell out and flat out said that Angela was being used for that purpose, not because she was a fire making beast but because he thought she would be slightly less bad at it than Laurel. If he had instead portrayed it as, "Wendell has been my partner since day one and I don't know if I can beat him, but I don't know if I can beat Angela either because she's played a clean game and hasn't made any enemies on the jury, so I'm in a better position regardless of which one of them goes," then she might have felt he gave her enough respect that she would have voted for him even if he was the one to cause her to be on the jury. As it was, it was more like, "I need the goat to do this thing for me. KTHX," so I can see why she might not be a Dom fan after that.

• Love 11

Why in the world did Laurel get so bent out of shape when Wendell didn't choose her for the eating reward?  They were planning on voting out Sebastian, so he took him so they could figure out how to do it, and then Angela because she was a non-entity.

Enough with the damn puzzle pieces!  Bring back endurance, or trivia or how much you know about the other players.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I wonder if Angela would have voted for Dom if he had put a different spin on having her go up against Wendell in the fire making challenge. He put such an emphasis on how his only goal was getting Wendell out and flat out said that Angela was being used for that purpose, not because she was a fire making beast but because he thought she would be slightly less bad at it than Laurel. If he had instead portrayed it as, "Wendell has been my partner since day one and I don't know if I can beat him, but I don't know if I can beat Angela either because she's played a clean game and hasn't made any enemies on the jury, so I'm in a better position regardless of which one of them goes," then she might have felt he gave her enough respect that she would have voted for him even if he was the one to cause her to be on the jury. As it was, it was more like, "I need the goat to do this thing for me. KTHX," so I can see why she might not be a Dom fan after that.

Yes, especially because she must have thought that she had just saved his beef in the previous TC by giving him information that he was targeted.

Then again, maybe she regretted that move afterwards, and blamed Dom because, well, because she made the mistake that possible saved  him.

• Love 3

OK I have the biggest smile on my face because I finally got to watch (they didn't put it up online until SO LATE last night) and the tie was great and the winner was great.  I am full of Survivor glee.  Believe me when I say this. 

BUT.  Every single person is such a moron.  Even Dom and Wendell, because if you're in a position to be a TIE VOTE of all things then you have surely made a huge mistake at some point.  (Wendell, take out Dom when he's grandstanding with the fake idol, and you get a unanimous win for godsake!)  You're all being insanely generous to Laurel: she sucks and deserved exactly the goose egg that she got.  I don't want to hear any "well she would have been out next" baloney: she can say that but it's absolutely not true, there is no reason it would be true, and who cares when you go out if you don't win?  There's win, there's lose, that's it!  At least if you go out you get to enjoy Ponderosa instead of having the expression on her face she got when she realized she got no votes because she's a huge useless goat.  Don't put yourself in a position to feel that way, to know nobody respects you.  Listen to Ciera.  Play to win.  Speaking of which, I think Dom should have gone through with his cockamamie idea to give immunity to the two women and tried to take out Wendell himself, if he really thought he had the best shot of making fire.  That would be playing to win, instead of playing to get to F3.

They're all so dumb!  Angela's incredibly dumb!  Sebastian is incredibly dumb!  Donathan at least tried and  voted correctly for Dominick but he told Laurel the plan so he too is dumb!

200.gif

Luckily the tie was so fun and the perfect ending, and my favorite won!

19 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Reminder- the winner is announced at the top of the reunion show. NOT in this episode. Keep the talk of the winner in the reunion thread in consideration for the posters who haven’t seen the reunion show yet. 

Whimsy this is simply 100% not true.  I didn't watch the reunion.  I only watched the finale.  Just like every season, Jeff announced the winner at the end of the actual episode and then said "stick around for the reunion!"  You can go to cbs.com and see it for yourself.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

OK I have the biggest smile on my face because I finally got to watch (they didn't put it up online until SO LATE last night) and the tie was great and the winner was great.  I am full of Survivor glee.  Believe me when I say this. 

BUT.  Every single person is such a moron.  Even Dom and Wendell, because if you're in a position to be a TIE VOTE of all things then you have surely made a huge mistake at some point.  (Wendell, take out Dom when he's grandstanding with the fake idol, and you get a unanimous win for godsake!)  You're all being insanely generous to Laurel: she sucks and deserved exactly the goose egg that she got.  I don't want to hear any "well she would have been out next" baloney: she can say that but it's absolutely not true, there is no reason it would be true, and who cares when you go out if you don't win?  There's win, there's lose, that's it!  At least if you go out you get to enjoy Ponderosa instead of having the expression on her face she got when she realized she got no votes because she's a huge useless goat.  Don't put yourself in a position to feel that way, to know nobody respects you.  Listen to Ciera.  Play to win.  Speaking of which, I think Dom should have gone through with his cockamamie idea to give immunity to the two women and tried to take out Wendell himself, if he really thought he had the best shot of making fire.  That would be playing to win, instead of playing to get to F3.

They're all so dumb!  Angela's incredibly dumb!  Sebastian is incredibly dumb!  Donathan at least tried and  voted correctly for Dominick but he told Laurel the plan so he too is dumb!

200.gif

Luckily the tie was so fun and the perfect ending, and my favorite won!

Whimsy this is simply 100% not true.  I didn't watch the reunion.  I only watched the finale.  Just like every season, Jeff announced the winner at the end of the actual episode and then said "stick around for the reunion!"  You can go to cbs.com and see it for yourself.

They didn’t even get to the voting until well into the reunion show. They didn’t even get to the jury until after the first two hours. They probably editied for online, but I can absolutely say that you are wrong about the broadcast version.

• Love 2

I think that CBS treats the three hour block as Survivor. CBS doesn't care if the show takes away from the Reunion time or not. They are mixing the reunion stuff with the show, interviewing playes after they are voted out and tossing in "Live" action during the two hour block for the show. 

Honestly, I see the three hours as one show and not two seperate entities. I would prefer to discuss the entirty of the final show, to include the final tribal and winner, discussed in one thread. I could care less about the reunion conversation because the reuinion has steadily devolved to commercials for movies, tv shows and the next season of Survivor. It no longer makes any attempt to actually dicuss the season that just wrapped up. 

So do we discuss the after vote out interviews that occur int he two hour show block in the reunion thread or the show thread? The final tribal took place during the reunion block so it shoudl be discussed there? I say treat the three hour block as one show and discuss it all in one place. But that is me and I am not an admin.

• Love 16
(edited)

I just think the reunion is such an absolute shit-show that it almost feels disrespectful to talk about the rest of the season in that thread. I'm at the point where I want to pretend that reunions never happen anymore and the season ends when they're on the island. The fact that Probst uses Survivor to continue his masturbatory talk show host fantasies is just... *Ugh!* If that's the price the producers pay to keep him on the show, I wish they stop paying it and let Boston Rob or Parvati or whoever take over hosting duties. 

Anyway, I agree that Laurel shouldn't get a break. I can understand the premise that you have to do everything possible to get to the F3 but I personally think it's more important to give yourself a shot to win the game. You definitely don't want to be in a position where you have to comp-beast the end of the game but there was no scenario that Laurel was winning at all. It was obvious for most of the merge that she was going to get crushed if she went to the F3 with these two and she got crushed at F3. Where are the points in her favor? 

I know she didn't trust Kellyn, Angelina, or Sea Bass but that's Survivor. Work with people you don't trust on certain votes. 

Edited by loki567
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

This rule has been put in place because of previous years posters complaining about the winner being "spoiled" before they had a chance to watch the reunion.  I honestly don't care and also find it easier to talk about the winner in the episode thread.  At this point, I'm sure everyone who watches this show knows, so go ahead.  Discuss the winner.  :)

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, loki567 said:

I just think the reunion is such an absolute shit-show that it almost feels disrespectful to talk about the rest of the season in that thread. I'm at the point where I want to pretend that reunions never happen anymore and the season ends when they're on the island. The fact that Probst uses Survivor to continue his masturbatory talk show host fantasies is just... *Ugh!* If that's the price the producers pay to keep him on the show, I wish they stop paying it and let Boston Rob or Parvati or whoever take over hosting duties. 

Anyway, I agree that Laurel shouldn't get a break. I can understand the premise that you have to do everything possible to get to the F3 but I personally think it's more important to give yourself a shot to win the game. You definitely don't want to be in a position where you have to comp-beast the end of the game but there was no scenario that Laurel was winning at all. It was obvious for most of the merge that she was going to get crushed if she went to the F3 with these two and she got crushed at F3. Where are the points in her favor? 

I know she didn't trust Kellyn, Angelina, or Sea Bass but that's Survivor. Work with people you don't trust on certain votes. 

But they have to want to work with you. Bradley and Kellyn were bragging about not being willing to work with Malolo when they were going to tribal. Bradley was quite smug about it, even after he was almost voted out. Laurel saves Kellyn and the next tribals, Kellyn throws two votes on Laurel. Why exactly would you work with someone who you saved and who then voted for you. Not only voted for you but used an advantage to try and get you out. 

If people are annoyed with this season the focus should be on the Naviti Strong idiots who set up such barriers that no one from Malolo could really work with them. All Des and comp saw were people to use for a vote or two. If you want to risk workign with that, go for it. But if I have a clear cut path to farther in the game, then I am goign to take that.

• Love 4

As far as Probst knowing what the votes already are, I am sure he does for every episode, all the time. They don't get put into the nail biting order they are always in by themselves. If someone gets 3 votes and someone 5 (not at the finale, at a regular TC), you can be sure you will see all the votes the 3 vote person got, before proclaiming the other is out.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

As far as Probst knowing what the votes already are, I am sure he does for every episode, all the time. They don't get put into the nail biting order they are always in by themselves. If someone gets 3 votes and someone 5 (not at the finale, at a regular TC), you can be sure you will see all the votes the 3 vote person got, before proclaiming the other is out.

Yup. It is common knowledge that Probst goes back and they rearrange the votes for the reveal. There was never a reason to believe that would not be the case for the final tribal as well. 

• Love 3

Ok - so I had my DVR set to record everything (as usual), and still started out watching live (also as usual).  Old lady kept interrupting to talk about neighbor shit and best friend shit and every other kind of shit BESIDES the finale, though, so I was constantly having to pause the DVR playback (which is why I frequently still record stuff I’m already watching live;  it rarely stays “live” for long).

Which explains why I was running better than an hour behind when I discovered my DVR had inexplicably cut off recording just as they were starting FTC - and also why I had to stay off this board and every other media source on the planet until the CBS website got EPS 14 and 15 online, to avoid spoilage.  

So forgive while I play some catch-up here.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:19 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

The firemaking doesn’t bother me, because it does create a huge decision for the IC winner. I liked seeing Dom go through all the various scenarios.

In this case, what was the “huge decision”?  “Who do I let Wendell beat on his way to F3?”?  ;)

On 5/23/2018 at 11:19 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Angela lost it the minute she let Wendell move from the spot that was freaking him out. Ugh, never give up an advantage!

Swear to GAWD.  THAT was Angela’s “million dollar mistake”; she needed any advantage she could get to have even a shot at making it to F3, and she just... gave it away....  :[ 

On 5/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, 30 Helens said:

Have there always been 10 jurors? I thought the usual number was 9, just to avoid any chance of a tie. 

Any shot at numbering the Jury to avoid any kind of tie went away when F3 supplanted F2 - but with 10 Jurors instead of 9, TPTB at least avoid (a) the possibility of a 3-3-3 three-way tie, and (b) no way to resolve it.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:31 AM, Wandering Snark said:

It really was a fundamentally flawed approach to believe that [Laurel] would win in the "they will split the votes" scenario. The basis of that scenario has people voting for one of two people and totally disregarding her which is exactly how it went down. I liked her but she never quite put any plan but that one into action.

Actually... I don’t think Laurel ever actually articulated her plan in its entirety at one sitting, but piecing together 2 or 3 different conversations and THs led me to believe Laurel’s hope was this:

• The Jury was composed of 6 original Naviti (Chris, Desiree, Chelsea, Kellyn, Sebastian, and Angela) and 4 original Malolo (Libby, Jenna, Michael, and Donathan).
  • Dom and Wendell were both original Naviti, while Lauren herself was the last original Malolo standing.
  • Laurel’s hope (forlorn as it was) was (a) the FTC vote would be entirely based on original tribal affiliations, and (b) Dom and Wendell would evenly split the Naviti vote while Laurel got the entire Malolo vote.
  • Result: Laurel wins a 4-3-3 vote.

Long shot of the ages?  Oh, fuck yeah.  But it was at least A shot - versus absolutely none in any other scenario.

23 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I got this impression, too. Especially with Donathan's ott and very fake reaction to realizing it was a tie. I think the jury knew it was gonna be a tie and probably set it up tbh.

Absolutely agree.  OTT histrionics notwithstanding, every player out there HAD to know - the moment Peachy said he would read the votes, the sole reason he would do so would be to expose a tie vote. But Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Bitch go to both Kellyn and Donathan; I thought Donathan was going to eat his own hand.  ;>

15 hours ago, SourK said:

I was hoping Dom would put himself in the fire challenge for the drama, but he was probably smart not to. Going to the end with Wendell was not his preferred scenario, but it also wasn't the worst possible scenario (losing the fire challenge and getting knocked out of final three). He risked his second worst/best scenario in order to avoid the very worst one, and that makes sense.

On the other hand: if Dom had given up his guaranteed F3 seat to go head-to-head against Wendell - and LOST - then Dom would have easily supplanted Erik Reichenbach as Dumbest Survivor Ever.  

This way:

1. There was always the possibility - however slim - of Angela getting lucky and beating Wendell at the firemaking Challenge.  Heck, both Wendell and Angela had several false starts before Wendell got a flame to catch; there were  actually at least a couple of times at the beginning when I thought Angela might actually pull it off.  Which is what made Angela’s decision to yield the purple seat to Wendell all the more stupid; if Wendell had been sitting in the “cursed” orange spot (and out of his comfort zone) then his first couple of false starts might have gotten in his head a little more, and led him to panic - and, just possibly, screw up.
  2. This route allowed Dom to ensure himself of 2nd place money at the absolute worst - vs. maybe going out at F4 with (relatively speaking) nothing.
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Honestly, I see the three hours as one show and not two seperate entities. I would prefer to discuss the entirty of the final show, to include the final tribal and winner, discussed in one thread. 

Agreed, especially since the show itself treats the 3-hour block like one big episode. And we have the live thread(s) going, so nobody would have to wait until the end of the full three hours to discuss the show. But I understand if others (and/or the mods) disagree.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RescueMom said:

Agreed, especially since the show itself treats the 3-hour block like one big episode. And we have the live thread(s) going, so nobody would have to wait until the end of the full three hours to discuss the show. But I understand if others (and/or the mods) disagree.

Thats how i see it, one long ep.  I do have to say, the reunion ep really sucked this year, dont know why.  I seem to remember a lot more laughing and fun  on the last one

• Love 1

Unfortunately, I don't see TPTB abandoning the F4 fire making challenge now that twice in a row the winner of the season would most likely have been gone at 4

They came up with this gimmick last season in order to save Ben from being voted out. Remember how it was presented as an "advantage" to Chrissy? But was, in fact, a huge disadvantage, because instead of just being able to vote someone out all she could do was save one person and make the other 2 fight it out. Which was utter bullshit and still is, but I think the show wants to stick with this in order to legitimize that interference in the game last season. Ben was the producer favorite, he was going to get voted out, and the show stepped in and saved him.

who cares when you go out if you don't win? 

The players do. You get more money the longer you last. 3rd place gets around $75K. The amounts go down the earlier you leave. 

Honestly, I see the three hours as one show and not two separate entities. 

Unfortunately, DVRs do not. They need to program it that way if people are recording it. Imagine how furious you would be to sit through the whole first two hours only to discover most of the final tribal council and the announcement of the winner was cut out of your recording? I'm sure most people who watch this show also watch the reunion special but a lot of people will assume their DVRs will just automatically record the reunion special and most do not.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

They didn’t even get to the voting until well into the reunion show. They didn’t even get to the jury until after the first two hours. They probably editied for online, but I can absolutely say that you are wrong about the broadcast version.

How weird!  I stand corrected.

28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The players do. You get more money the longer you last. 3rd place gets around $75K. The amounts go down the earlier you leave. 

OK, but then you're not playing to win but just to get a little money.  I have no respect for that personally (though who cares what I think.)  If it were me, everyone would get the same money except the winner, from the two who never got put on tribes at the beginning of Palau to Katie and Ian.

• Love 2

I've watched since season one. Remember when the contestants actually did something besides lay around and talk? They had to catch fish and make fire etc. The human element is completely gone. I keep watching because I hope it will get better and someone might be a little interesting. Nothing but puzzles and food rewards now. And talk talk talk.....

Season finale and I still don't know who these people are. Boring. 

• Love 2

FWIW (and I watched live in Australia) our TV guide had it as two seperate episodes - one running 10am-12.30pm, the next running 12.30pm-1pm, so either that was just a random guess on the network's part or they knew exactly how far over the finale was going to go in advance. The vote read and tie was definitely in the first bit, but I can't say for certain which bit the announcement was. But the tie definitely muddies the waters about what should be discussed where. I'm on team 'can we just have one thread'?

The firemaking challenge is a HUGE disadvantage for the winner of F4 immunity. Not only does it take away a lot of their power, but it gives their biggest threat the opportunity to look even more heroic. I will concede that this season it was the difference between a boring, predictable steamroll of an FTC and a freaking TIE (and my preferred winner) but I still don't like it. 

• Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

But they have to want to work with you. Bradley and Kellyn were bragging about not being willing to work with Malolo when they were going to tribal. Bradley was quite smug about it, even after he was almost voted out. Laurel saves Kellyn and the next tribals, Kellyn throws two votes on Laurel. Why exactly would you work with someone who you saved and who then voted for you. Not only voted for you but used an advantage to try and get you out. 

If people are annoyed with this season the focus should be on the Naviti Strong idiots who set up such barriers that no one from Malolo could really work with them. All Des and comp saw were people to use for a vote or two. If you want to risk workign with that, go for it. But if I have a clear cut path to farther in the game, then I am goign to take that.

She only had to work with Kellyn for one vote. That' is it. After Wendell is gone she and Donathon could have returned to Domenick and Sebastian and immediately voted out Kellyn. Then you move on there and get rid of Domenick.

Interesting in this interview she said she trusted Angela and Chelsea, so basically it really was just one Naviti she couldn't work with...

"And that was the critical vote at eight when it was Angela, Chelsea and Kellyn who wanted to work with me, and I went to Angela and I went to Chelsea and I said, "I trust you guys both; I just don't trust Kellyn. And that's what I'm struggling with right now. She burned me and I don't trust her." And I just couldn't get past it."

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

I havent read any of the exit interviews, and I never watch Reunion shows, so just coming off the finale, I thought Dom deserved it. I do think he made more decisions and was very intuitive. Also hate this BS he hurt my feelings every Survivor. It is Survivor, not kindergarten, and Dom seemed like a good person compared to the outright abusive people cast in other seasons. 

I ended up loathing Laurel for doing nothing the whole game, right up to the last challenge, and then spoiling the vote (imo) of course.

Felt good to get that off my chest.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, cleo said:

I havent read any of the exit interviews, and I never watch Reunion shows, so just coming off the finale, I thought Dom deserved it. I do think he made more decisions and was very intuitive. Also hate this BS he hurt my feelings every Survivor. It is Survivor, not kindergarten, and Dom seemed like a good person compared to the outright abusive people cast in other seasons. 

I ended up loathing Laurel for doing nothing the whole game, right up to the last challenge, and then spoiling the vote (imo) of course.

Felt good to get that off my chest.

I so agree.  Dom should have won but Laurel was the deciding vote and...drum roll...Wendall won.  No surprise there.

Social game.  Beating people without hurting their feelings is integral to the whole premise.  This isn’t a sport.  

I honestly don't know what Dom did to hurt anyone. It seems a little exagerrated. If people are this sensitive irl, I don't know how they make it through each day.

• Love 2

I was pleased with Wendell winning.  He had a great personality and played a really good game.

I think though, that Dom did more work.  I think Dom did most of the leg work of getting everyone on board with whatever the vote was going to be.  The edit showed him strategizing and planning with a lot more people than Wendell.  He also had the task of talking people down when they got upset or nervous.  I'm sure Wendell had made great relationships with cast members and had very interesting and heartfelt conversations (and that ultimately won him the title...his bro/sis relationship with Laurel) but I think Dom did more work.

Laurel didn't stand a chance.  However, I think she really thought that her strategy to stay with the big boys was a good, firm strategy.  She certainly tried to sell it, and you could tell she believed what she was saying.  She was never going to get closer than third.  She gave up the chance at winning in the final six, I believe.  I think that was the last time she was asked to blindsided one of the boys.

Anyone going to the final with either Dom or Wendell was doomed to fail.  They should have eliminated those two at 9/8/7.  But, would the end of the season have been as satisfying if the final three had been Angela/Laurel/Donathan/Sebastian?  I don't think so.  Especially Angela.  She was incredibly disappointing to me.  She was going to shake up the game after she won her immunity but ended up fading in the background again.  Heck, Donathan was the only one who tried anything, at it was a disaster.

Final thought?  If Wendell doesn't make a side career of being a Donald Glover celebrity stand in or look alike, he is wasting his God given gift.  Not to mention that Glover is on a real high, career wise, right now.  ?. Perfect time to make a few extra bucks (a million only goes so far, now days) and have some fun.

• Love 3
On 5/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Subrookie said:

I'm not normally in the tin foil hat camp but something about the FTC doesn't seem legit.

I didn't watch the final episode. I care that much about Survivor.

I'm really sick of Jeff. He seems to think that Survivor is his entire life now. He is very likely correct about that.

But he also seems to think the entire world revolves around this show. I doubt he's right about that.

It makes me want to puke to listen to him talk about this game - and he rarely talks about anything else. He speaks of this game as if it was the Second Coming or something. Actually, TBH, I can understand him behaving that way. This game transformed his life. What was his life like before he hosted this game? What is it like now?  So, I get that. But he is still just an incredible pain in the ass.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had rigged any or all aspects of this season or any other season. I wouldn't be surprised at anything he would do to prevent this show from being cancelled. This show has become his whole life. I think he would be willing to go to any length - legal or illegal - makes no difference.

I'm pretty much done with this show and with Jiffy boy. I'm just anticipating for something very bizarre to happen around the time it's cancelled. My guess is that he's capable of most anything.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Anyone going to the final with either Dom or Wendell was doomed to fail.  They should have eliminated those two at 9/8/7.

Dom and Wendell cultivated such good relationships, with so many other players, they often got heads ups when they were in danger.  They then were adept at using those relationships to turn the tables, without having to play their idols.  Between their excellent social games, timely IC wins, HIIs and great instincts, getting rod of them was easier said than done.   

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

But, would the end of the season have been as satisfying if the final three had been Angela/Laurel/Donathan/Sebastian?  I don't think so. 

Hoepfully, if the F4 had been that then the editing would have been different and we would have seen more of Seb and Angela. Oh, who am I kidding, Dom would've still gotten the bulk of the confessionals and we would have heard nothing from Angela. And probably Wendell would have been completely invisible.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Final thought?  If Wendell doesn't make a side career of being a Donald Glover celebrity stand in or look alike, he is wasting his God given gift.  Not to mention that Glover is on a real high, career wise, right now.  ?. Perfect time to make a few extra bucks (a million only goes so far, now days) and have some fun.

Lol.  This reminds me of a comment from Gordon Holms preshow interview with Wendell.  Holmes showed the cast pictures of their future competition and asked what were their impressions.

This is what Wendell said when he saw Dominic’s picture.

Holland: I’m going to work with him. He reminds me of Russell Hantz with his stature. He’s shorter. Looks like an Italian dude. The whole process I’ve been getting vibes from him that we’d work together and be an odd couple. Russell Hantz and Childish Gambino. I don’t think people would see that coming.

Edited by Coco88
  • Love 9
On 5/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, KimberStormer said:

How weird!  I stand corrected.

No, you were correct. Jeff walked out on stage, didn't talk to any of the cast, and announced the winner immediately. Then he did his ramble about sticking around to talk to the cast and THE Kevin Hart. Maybe next season we should just have a thread for "Episode Title & Winner Announcement" and a separate one for "Reunion Show". (Because however the episodes are "officially" divided up, let's be real, nobody is going to watch a 2 hour finale and then not watch 2 more minutes to see who won.)

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, cleo said:

Also hate this BS he hurt my feelings every Survivor. It is Survivor, not kindergarten

Agree x1000.  The show’s been running for 18 years now, but my personal impression is that the whole “bitter Jury” thing has really ramped up from speculative theory to reality the past half-dozen years or so.  Used to be it took something like a Russell Hantz-sized crowbar to pry Jurors away from a vote based on who played the better strategic game; now all it takes, apparently, is some harsh words at a TC or two.

Hmmm... not saying it applies to this season specifically - not directly, anyway - but does anybody think there may be a correlation between the increasing use of mactors and recruits vs. applicants, and escalation of the bitterness quotient?  Seems to me that true superfans are the least likely to take personal affront to strategically-based game moves - with the exception of Destinies like Kellyn, who are 100% guaranteed to manifest a personal grudge against everybody in the F3 who isn’t them.  ;>

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1

To me, feelings have always mattered.  Like I said earlier, social game. 

Sebastian looked like a softie because the edit we saw didn't show Dom being a total ass (just a minor one).  But if he had been shown as full-on Dan Foley or Scot/Jason, no one would fault the jurors for not giving him a million for having a shitty personality.  Then we'd probably be remarking on how the winner edit was so obvious-- Hero Wendell, Goat Dom and Coattail Rider Laurel.  

(edited)

Well outright abuse is not ok, and iirc Dan Foley crossed that line, but I guess it's subjective what is and isn't acceptable. But that's what bothers me- Dom may have been abrasive or agressive at times, but he was not an abusive asshole as far as I could see, he was playing the game and he owned it completely.

I like Wendell, he played a good game, but I will always vote Dom. The jury, that sucked playing since Day 1 just kept sucking right til the end.

Anyway Dom will likely get at least 2 do overs lol.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, cleo said:

but he was not an abusive asshole as far as I could see,

That's the thing.  We didn't see what Sebastian saw.  He said Dom was way over the line into obnoxious bullying of Donathan.

Well that would be different, but I'm a little skeptical tbh. But I don't read the exit interviews etc., so I can only go by what is on the screen. But if in fact Dom was an abusive asshole off camera I stand corrected.

51 minutes ago, cleo said:

Well that would be different, but I'm a little skeptical tbh. But I don't read the exit interviews etc., so I can only go by what is on the screen. But if in fact Dom was an abusive asshole off camera I stand corrected.

I think the only time Dom was sort of “abusive” was in the last days of Tribal Council with Donathan & Sebas. Apparently, everyone has mentioned that Dom was a little mean about all the idols and was goading Donathan which they thought was over the line. Sebas mentioned it from the jury box and Dom apologized. Of course, the editors left it out which didn’t make any sense to the viewers when it was brought up. Score one for the editors. LOL!!!!  

• Love 2

I just read an EW exit interview with Sebastian where he said he had nightmares about Dom out there for about a month, because he was so overbearing or something, which surprised me.  

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/24/survivor-finale-sebastian-noel-ghost-island-drunk/

For two or three days, actually probably a month, I couldn’t stand even the thought of Dom.

Wow, really. So it was that strong?
Yeah, every night when I went to sleep, it was Dom’s Clooney face in my thoughts, just bossin’ people around, so he kind of haunted me in a ghostly fashion.

It also said he'd had drinks before FTC.  LOL

36 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Sounds like bullshit to me.  ;)

Coming from Sea Bass, who seemed perpetually high, would make me question him, also.  However, Wendell, who at the end wanted to win the FTC, even told Dom to watch his tone with the jury.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Sounds like bullshit to me.  ;)

Half the people watching disliked Dom from his (pretty friendly) edit, seems like, and I think about all of us did the first few weeks.  We've seen that obnoxious, mouthy, grandstanding side of Dom.  Wendell called it "the Dom show".  Someone here called it dick swinging, which I thought was pretty apt.  I liked Dom, too.  But he had a swagger that I could see crossing over into arrogance and bullying pretty easily.  And what's Sebastian's motivation to lie?  He can justify his vote for Wendell however he wants, he doesn't need to tear Dom down.  

I do think Dom was an excellent narrator for the season, and he was fun to watch play.  He started out reminding me of Tony but ended reminded me more of Rob M.  He had a good read on people and what was bullshit, most of the time.  Sometimes he had Rob's tact.  Sometimes very much not.  I'd be glad to watch him play again.  

Edited by Guest

I have no way of knowing if anything Seb said was true, or how bad or not it was, but i do think he was pissed his little plan was blown and the way it was blown. Which again to me is just the game.

• Love 1

To me, it's the game to not let people get pissed at you as they leave, if you want their jury vote.  So keep your dick in your pants, like Wendell did.  ; )   

It's a personal thing, though.  A lot of people thought Russell should've won.  I'm guessing they also think Dom should've.  It just depends if you value the social game or not.  I think if you don't care about the social end, it's a much easier game to play.  

(edited)

Dom even admits in the exit interviews that the Jury is going to be “thinking he’s a piece of garbage”  after that tribal council and he’s going to have to address that in FTC.

Edited by Coco88
  • Love 2