Type keyword(s) to search

Disappeared - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The lady who disappeared walking from the bar. The camera malfunctioned in the YMCA parking lot. They never did say if they checked to see if anyone was in the building at the time. That was my first thought. Also, did they check to see if there were any other cameras after leaving the parking lot?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I just watched the downgraded Disappeared episode about Jason Landrey, who disappeared in Texas in 2020.  His disappearance is stunningly similar to the young man who wrecked his car in the desert that was featured a few weeks ago.   They both missed a right turn, then went the wrong direction, wrecked the car, and left a trail of their clothes….socks, shirt, underwear, etc.   Landrey’s backpack was also found on this dirt road.  His phone was inside the car.  It didn’t appear he tried to call for help.  

Landrey’s father, who is a preacher, feels that something criminal happened to him.  Sort of like the other young man’s father.  The Texas AG’s office has taken the Landrey case and is reviewing it. The local police do not believe any evidence points to anything other than him walking away from that wreck scene…either he died and animals ate his body or he is off doing his own thing.  Landrey’s father hired a PI who believes someone else is involved, but it’s all based on rumors from people who won’t reveal their identity.  

Landrey’s good friend said he was smoking a lot of pot and he had had trouble sleeping. He had asked him to not drive that night.   And, a container of it was found in his backpack.  

They did extensive search of the area the next day, drained a pond, brought in scent dogs,…..etc.  Nothing found.  I’m really curious and wonder if they have compared it to that other case.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I've never had anyone in my family disappear, but some of these cases hit me a different way. 

Especially when it's mentioned that the missing person was struggling with mental health issues, or was abusing alcohol and/or drugs.

I feel like this is the case with Jason.

Their loved ones want badly for someone to have murdered them when it's possible the person died by suicide or due to exposure.

I'm not sure I buy that random people decided to murder Jason.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

I looked at the cast, producers and narrator for this show up to this new season.  Apparently, it stopped in 2018 and there was a pause on new episodes until recently. I couldn’t even find a producer listed.   Apparently, no one is doing anything on these new shows.  It’s like they spliced some videos together.  That’s it.  I suppose there was no budget.  The narrator is still working in the industry.  I hope they give him a call before airing another season like the current one.  Why couldn’t they have shown the black screen with stars like the former ones?  Wouldn’t that have been in the can so they could just throw it in?  

Christopher Crutchfield Walker is the previous narrator.  
https://www.crutchfieldwalker.com/voiceover

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I looked at the cast, producers and narrator for this show up to this new season.  Apparently, it stopped in 2018 and there was a pause on new episodes until recently. I couldn’t even find a producer listed.   Apparently, no one is doing anything on these new shows.  It’s like they spliced some videos together.  That’s it.  I suppose there was no budget.  The narrator is still working in the industry.  I hope they give him a call before airing another season like the current one.  Why couldn’t they have shown the black screen with stars like the former ones?  Wouldn’t that have been in the can so they could just throw it in?  

Christopher Crutchfield Walker is the previous narrator.  
https://www.crutchfieldwalker.com/voiceover

I prefer the original format of the show, even though I will continue watching it in any iteration.

I'm iffy about family members leading the show because they tend to drum up conspiracies about their loved ones, regardless of whether the evidence even points to foul play. Everyone seems to want it to be foul play, which is weird in its own way, and I've never been able to figure out why that's the preference. Oftentimes they seem to be in denial when their missing loved one has very obvious signs of a mental illness or they're abusing drugs. I kind of understand the logic: police might not take it as seriously. 

I prefer the original format in this regard because the family members aren't the main focus. I feel as if we get a fuller picture when they're not leading the narrative.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2022 at 11:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I just watched the downgraded Disappeared episode about Jason Landrey, who disappeared in Texas in 2020.  His disappearance is stunningly similar to the young man who wrecked his car in the desert that was featured a few weeks ago.   They both missed a right turn, then went the wrong direction, wrecked the car, and left a trail of their clothes….socks, shirt, underwear, etc.   Landrey’s backpack was also found on this dirt road.  His phone was inside the car.  It didn’t appear he tried to call for help.  

I just watched Jason Landry and Daniel Robinson back to back, and you're right, very similar. My children are in the same age group as these young men, and away at schools in other states, and my heart goes out to their parents. This would be torture and I cannot imagine their suffering. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
54 minutes ago, Chris Knight said:

I just watched Jason Landry and Daniel Robinson back to back, and you're right, very similar. My children are in the same age group as these young men, and away at schools in other states, and my heart goes out to their parents. This would be torture and I cannot imagine their suffering. 

It’s very coincidental.  But, it seems that each man was on their own journey, both operating under some kind of influence.  It makes me wonder if there’s a book out there about disappearing with instructions on making wrong turn, wrecking the car, discarding clothing, etc.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s very coincidental.  But, it seems that each man was on their own journey, both operating under some kind of influence.  It makes me wonder if there’s a book out there about disappearing with instructions on making wrong turn, wrecking the car, discarding clothing, etc.  

Never thought about that but very intriguing. And sad. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Never thought about that but very intriguing. And sad. 

I’m sort of kidding, but hey…..it just seems too coincidental.  I wonder if the investigators have considered it or just wrote it off.   Both young men seemed disillusioned with their life at the time and/or using drugs. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m sort of kidding, but hey…..it just seems too coincidental.  I wonder if the investigators have considered it or just wrote it off.   Both young men seemed disillusioned with their life at the time and/or using drugs. 

As we all know, you can find any info you want on the internet. So that idea is not so far fetched. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/8/2022 at 4:54 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Back when Borders still existed, I remember seeing a book in the Reference section and its title was something along the lines of How to Disappear Forever.

No, I didn't purchase it because my life isn't in dire straits, but yeah, books like that definitely exist.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Useful 4
On 10/8/2022 at 7:46 PM, chenoa333 said:

As we all know, you can find any info you want on the internet. So that idea is not so far fetched. 

And we all know if it’s on the internet it is absolute truth. 😉

On 12/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

Did not see this coming at all! His poor family.

Missing Newtown Man Living Under Alias Found Dead Nearly 10 Years Later: PD

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/man-missing-from-newtown-for-nearly-10-years-found-dead-in-new-york/2930898/

eta, since the title doesn't mention it, this is about Robert Hoagland from season 7, episode 8 'A Family Man'

So I guess he ran off because he was sick of dealing with his son’s ongoing addiction issues, probably had some other issues he wanted to escape from and with his marriage on the skids and his wife out of country, there was no better time to disappear. 

I’m just surprised he was living so close to Connecticut. I’d think if he was going to disappear he would’ve left the country or resettled on the west coast. I am curious to know how he managed to pull off being MIA for 10 years in our modern times of cell phones and CCTV being everywhere.

Edited by Enero
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4

The newest episodes of this new iteration seem better than they were before. One of the things that helps is that they upfront tell the viewer to look for the person, to spread the word about them being missing, etc. It helps me focus my mind on the fact that this iteration is serving a different purpose than the original which I loved and still love. I will follow the narrator anywhere because I love him. But more than that, these last new episodes didn't stupidly just follow the family around while they 'looked' for their loved one, they sometimes showed the viewer where they had looked previously but the idea that we were on the hunt with the family, insane as that was, seems to have been dropped. It makes the show easier to deal with, that they don't treat us so stupidly.  And I feel so much for the families and hope they find their person and know that this exposure is a godsend to them and their efforts so there's that.

Anyway, as much as I long for the old show's format and mysteries, I cannot fault the folks who have more recent missing persons their chance to ask for help.  As long as they leave the private investigators (who add nothing) or the fake searches through the bushes or hooker stroll or whatever as though we were searching in real time. If they actually found them, we wouldn't be seeing this on tv, now would we?

So I can now recommend the show for the above reasons even as I mourn the old one.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Anybody catch The Bradley Sisters episode?  The mother clearly knows more than she's telling.  And she left a 10 year old child in charge of a 3 year old not only overnight but through the next day while she worked?  So she could spend the night with her boyfriend who was refusing to admit paternity/pay support for the youngest kid?  Shady as hell.

Seems to me that the reason the older daughters were sent to their grandmother to spend the night was so the mom and boyfriend could get rid of the younger kids.  Otherwise, why would she do that?  The mom seemed a little addled and confused, both back then and in the present day; but that's no excuse for not providing proper care for her kids; especially since, unlike so many other families, there were multiple reliable, loving family members readily available who seemingly helped with chidlcare a lot.

I'd also like to know more about the mystery voice mail that got so conveniently deleted after the girls went missing.

Unfortunately, after 22 years, I think it is unlikely that the bodies will ever be found or that the perpetrators will ever be prosecuted.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
8 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Anybody catch The Bradley Sisters episode?  The mother clearly knows more than she's telling.  And she left a 10 year old child in charge of a 3 year old not only overnight but through the next day while she worked?  So she could spend the night with her boyfriend who was refusing to admit paternity/pay support for the youngest kid?  Shady as hell

I couldn't agree with you more! Nothing about the story made any sense!

GW wanted to take the mom and 2 younger kids camping? Why? He never had anything to do with the children at all. Not to mention that there was no evidence of camping equipment in the home. The mom said she went to the store to buy a tent and camping stuff. Where was it?

The voicemail! I don't think it ever existed. If the aunt had it saved to her email why didn't she let the police hear it? Some phony story about passwords, really??

The note was obviously a fake. It was written by TB but it was dictated to her. Who buys a birthday cake for someone you are not going to see on their birthday.

And the hairs in the trunk of GW's car! DNA match to the girls! How come no one was arrested? I have seen people convicted with less evidence than that!

But someone got away with murder and are living their best lives for the past 22 years while those poor babies are gone forever.

I hope this episode brings new evidence so that justice can be served.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, margol29 said:

I couldn't agree with you more! Nothing about the story made any sense!

GW wanted to take the mom and 2 younger kids camping? Why? He never had anything to do with the children at all. Not to mention that there was no evidence of camping equipment in the home. The mom said she went to the store to buy a tent and camping stuff. Where was it?

The voicemail! I don't think it ever existed. If the aunt had it saved to her email why didn't she let the police hear it? Some phony story about passwords, really??

The note was obviously a fake. It was written by TB but it was dictated to her. Who buys a birthday cake for someone you are not going to see on their birthday.

And the hairs in the trunk of GW's car! DNA match to the girls! How come no one was arrested? I have seen people convicted with less evidence than that!

But someone got away with murder and are living their best lives for the past 22 years while those poor babies are gone forever.

I hope this episode brings new evidence so that justice can be served.

Yes to all of this.  If GW, who seemingly didn't like any of the kids and ignored them most of the time, was going to take any of the kids camping, it would've been the two oldest since they'd need the least supervision and would be able to carry wood or help set up tents, etc.  However, I am with you; the older girls might've been told their little sisters were going camping with mom and GW, but there was no camping trip ever.   It was an excuse to separate the older kids from the younger ones so they could dispose of the littlest.

I also wonder why it is that police haven't been able to get more concrete info from the mother.  She doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, I wouldn't be surprised if she has mental health or substance abuse issues., but I would think she'd be fairly easy to crack; she seems like the type that could easily slip up at any time and say something incriminating.

The aunt with the cell phone message was puzzling if only because she seemed legitimately distraught over the missing girls and was one of the more well spoken and sensible family members they interviewed.  All of that blather about passwords and potentially destroying the message accidentally sounded ridiculous, though.

I think the aunt may have received the message and listened to it and told other family members.  And one of them listened and realized there was something there that would implicate someone, probably the mother, and the decision was made to delete the message rather than let the police hear it.  

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I remember when this happened and did watch this episode. Yes, something is really up. I never trusted the mother, not to mention her boyfriend! I understand some people are forced to leave their kids home alone while they work. It probably happens more often than not in poorer communities, but so much doesn't add up. The camping (I do not remember hearing about this back then), GW not wanting to admit to being Diamond's father..... sure the mother is crying now, but is she crying because she regrets what she did or allowed to happen? 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember when this happened and did watch this episode. Yes, something is really up. I never trusted the mother, not to mention her boyfriend! I understand some people are forced to leave their kids home alone while they work. It probably happens more often than not in poorer communities, but so much doesn't add up. The camping (I do not remember hearing about this back then), GW not wanting to admit to being Diamond's father..... sure the mother is crying now, but is she crying because she regrets what she did or allowed to happen? 

It really doesn't add up that the mother would leave the 2 youngest kids at home alone and send the other 2 to spend the night at Grandma's.  There were clearly better options available, either send the little ones to Grandma's too or keep the older ones at home at least overnight to help the little ones.  There also seemed to be quite a few aunts, uncles and cousins around who spent a lot of time with the kids and seemed to know them well.  Surely one or more of them could've taken the little ones.  While some people in poor communities have to leave their kids home alone because they have no choice; that was clearly not the case here.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Notabug said:

It really doesn't add up that the mother would leave the 2 youngest kids at home alone and send the other 2 to spend the night at Grandma's.  There were clearly better options available, either send the little ones to Grandma's too or keep the older ones at home at least overnight to help the little ones.  There also seemed to be quite a few aunts, uncles and cousins around who spent a lot of time with the kids and seemed to know them well.  Surely one or more of them could've taken the little ones.  While some people in poor communities have to leave their kids home alone because they have no choice; that was clearly not the case here.

There did seem to be plenty of family around who could have watched the girls. Did they not want to? Did the mother leave them alone often? 

• Like 2

I'm of the mind that Sydney West, sadly, died by suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge.

I looked up info about her case via the Unresolved Mysteries subreddit and saw this: 

Screenshot_20230827_233736_Reddit~2.jpg

I'm not surprised. This is an issue when the families are too prominently featured in the Disappeared interviews. Suicide still seems to be a difficult topic for many families to accept.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I can't say I'd be surprised if that turned out to be the outcome, yeah :(. I totally get that it can be hard for families to accept a loved one could do that, of course, but god, so much of the comments from her loved ones here sounded so familiar and so common to what people always say before a loved one commits suicide: "They seemed happy"/"They seemed to be in good spirits"/"We had a normal conversation the last time we talked"/etc. 

And then the whole thing about how she wouldn't "throw away" the relationships she had, or words to that effect...I mean, again, that's the thing about suicide, though. It amazes me how so many people still seem to think that someone who cares about their family and friends couldn't possibly commit suicide. I just really don't like the implications that come with that, and I feel like it really shows how little people truly understand about why someone might commit suicide, or at least, consider it. 

But yeah, the fact she left he bag behind is concerning. Especially since she was staying in the area. And she does have a history of mental health struggles, so...

Having said all of that, however, I am also willing to buy the theory that she may have had some kind of memory loss/concussion-related trauma of some sort. I could easily see that, too, and I'd wondered about that possibility throughout the episode, too. Hell, I could even see the possibility of her going off the bridge accidentally, somehow. Or maybe she crossed the bridge and then had some accident around the other end of the bridge, or something. But yeah, if she had the kind of head injury they described here, who knows what kinds of long-term effects she could've suffered from that. I think that's a very plausible option as well. 

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Having said all of that, however, I am also willing to buy the theory that she may have had some kind of memory loss/concussion-related trauma of some sort. I could easily see that, too, and I'd wondered about that possibility throughout the episode, too. Hell, I could even see the possibility of her going off the bridge accidentally, somehow. Or maybe she crossed the bridge and then had some accident around the other end of the bridge, or something. But yeah, if she had the kind of head injury they described here, who knows what kinds of long-term effects she could've suffered from that. I think that's a very plausible option as well. 

I need to look up suicide stats because I think the higher percentage of people who die by suicide is done on impulse and a smaller number of cases involve the deceased leaving behind a note.

That said, like you, I can buy that she got into an accident and died as a result somewhere near the bridge, but then I'd assume her remains would have been discovered by now. However, I don't know much about the terrain around the bridge, but I assume it's mountainous.

When the parents mentioned she was concussed after that jump, my immediate thought was Sydney sustained a TBI. I definitely see that as playing a significant role in whatever happened to her. In the end, I don't believe she's still alive. 

Screenshot_20230828_010655_Reddit~2.jpg

Edited by Surrealist
I added a screenshot from Unresolved Mysteries involving Sydney's Reddit account. If you click on the screenshot, the text is easier to read.
  • Sad 3

I thought it was pretty obvious that Sydney struggled with very significant mental health issues and most likely committed suicide by jumping off the bridge.  Her parents are, unfortunately, living in the fantasy that she was somehow kidnapped and sold into white slavery?  Really?  Her father repeatedly mentioned that there were a lot of people on the bridge that morning and no one saw her jump.  Well, there were a lot of people on the bridge and no one saw a car stop, someone get out and hustle her into a car against her will, either.  Seems more likely someone would've witnessed that, had it actually occurred.

Whatever happened, must've happened pretty shortly after she left her pack and returned to the bridge and, it is far more likely that the poor girl jumped.  The fact that she left the bridge to set down her pack and then went back onto the bridge seemed to indicate to me that she was planning to jump and wanted to leave her stuff behind for her parents to know what had happened.  And, she knew she wouldn't be needing anything in it again.  Otherwise, why leave the pack unattended in a public place?

That private eye was taking the parents on a financial ride, IMO, by feeding into their fantasy that Sydney is still alive and being held against her will.  He should be ashamed of himself.  It was obvious that they are fairly well off, but taking money from them under these circumstances is vile.

Good Lord, her mother was even willing to believe that her daughter somehow managed to learn to play guitar in a couple of months in order to accept that the girl busking in the subway, who looked nothing like Sydney, IMO, was her daughter.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8

This episode made me go back to rewatch the 2006 documentary, The Bridge, which is about GGB suicides.

The filmmaker, Eric Steel, set up two cameras (one for wide shots and one for telephoto shots) over the span of a year to capture the bridge, but he caught several suicides off the bridge. His film focuses on six and talks to the family and friends of the victims. 

It's disturbing, raw, and yet poignant. 

What grabbed me about the doc is that these suicides all happened during the day when tons of people were walking, and driving, on the Golden Gate Bridge.

While a couple of pedestrians might have noticed something "off," the majority of people (including tourists taking photos) doesn't intervene, let alone notice the victim was in distress and wanting to jump. 

I'm not surprised no one noticed, especially when it was still dark and foggy outside, that Sydney jumped. 

Given what I've read about Sydney's parents, and what we know about her mental health (plus concussion), I don't doubt she died by suicide.

Here's a couple more screenshots about her background and internet activity. 

Screenshot_20230828_034601_Reddit.jpg

Screenshot_20230828_011115_Reddit~2.jpg

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, Enero said:

So I guess he ran off because he was sick of dealing with his son’s ongoing addiction issues, probably had some other issues he wanted to escape from and with his marriage on the skids and his wife out of country, there was no better time to disappear. 

I’m just surprised he was living so close to Connecticut. I’d think if he was going to disappear he would’ve left the country or resettled on the west coast. I am curious to know how he managed to pull off being MIA for 10 years in our modern times of cell phones and CCTV being everywhere.

From what I understand, he kept a very low profile and paid his bills in cash. He did have a new name, and that name had a fake DL, so in theory he could get by with that. He had a flip phone and worked mostly under the table for cash.

I feel so bad for his boys. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

That private eye was taking the parents on a financial ride, IMO, by feeding into their fantasy that Sydney is still alive and being held against her will.  He should be ashamed of himself.  It was obvious that they are fairly well off, but taking money from them under these circumstances is vile.

I was also horrified by the story of that creep who was harassing the family and saying awful things about their daughter to them online. I know it's the internet and so unfortunately I shouldn't be surprised and all that, but still, good lord, what is wrong with some people?

6 hours ago, Surrealist said:

This episode made me go back to rewatch the 2006 documentary, The Bridge, which is about GGB bridge suicides.

The filmmaker, Eric Steel, set up two cameras (one for wide shots and one for telephoto shots) over the span of a year to capture the bridge, but he caught several suicides off the bridge. His film focuses on six and talks to the family and friends of the victims. 

It's disturbing, raw, and yet poignant. 

What grabbed me about the doc is that these suicides all happened during the day when tons of people were walking, and driving, on the Golden Gate Bridge.

While a couple of pedestrians might have noticed something "off," the majority of people (including tourists taking photos) doesn't intervene, let alone notice the victim was in distress and wanting to jump. 

I've heard about that documentary, yeah. That's incredibly heartbreaking that so many people will pass by and not say or do anything, but yeah, if some of them don't notice until it's too late, well...

But that certainly would explain Sydney being able to do that, if that's what indeed happened :(. 

• Sad 3

I'm so glad I read all these posts and got more background info on her parents and their interactions with their daughter. I knew there had to be so much more to the story than what we were watching on this show. 

Having a daughter who was a D1 lacrosse player I can absoloutely say that these athletes have a tremendous amount of pressure on them. High school can be challenging for most kids but some have even more challenges especially if they have a mental health issue caused by a concussion. I can't even imagine how much pain this poor girl was in trying to put on a happy face and be the perfect daughter for her parents all the while struggling with courses and navigating senior year and college acceptances/declines.

Hindsight being 20/20 she probably should not have gone across country to go to college. She had way too many health issues and needed therapy along with a familiar and loving environment to be in. Her idea of community college was a good idea. Living at home for a couple of years would have been a safe environment and her parents could have been helpful in being a part of her recovery and therapy. However, they were in denial that their "perfect" daughter had some serious issues and need a soft place to fall not a place where she was being scrutinized and not supported. The father sounds like a hard man to please and taking a hammer to her phone sounds over the top violent. 

I agree that she jumped off the bridge...her brain wasn't wired right and she probably was in a state of acute depression. I think she planned this for awhile...going to SF and reserving a room at a hotel would have been an alarm for me as a parent. This is not something 19 year olds do unless they are with a group of friends or are with a boyfriend. She booked the hotel room and the Uber for 6:30 am probably thinking it wouldn't be too crowded on the bridge. Her behavior on the bridge was weird and manic...running back and forth then walking into the fog seemed to be the perfect time to jump. 

I also agree that they got fleeced by the Private Investigator...he knew the truth. No way a tall physically fit young woman like Sydney wouldn't have put up a fight and screamed if someone was trying to abduct her.

In the end, I'm sure her parents feel guilty about their role in not dealing properly with her mental health issues and being more supportive in her mental health issues. I hope they don't make the same mistake with their younger daughter. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

She booked the hotel room and the Uber for 6:30 am probably thinking it wouldn't be too crowded on the bridge.

I was struck by how everyone kept making a big thing out of her brief conversations with the doorman at the hotel and the Uber driver, going on about how they said she was so friendly and chatty, so that was clear proof she couldn't possibly have killed herself!

I don't doubt those men's recollections, mind - they probably did have pleasant conversations with her during the brief time they interacted with her. However...

a) they also don't know her from any other woman they would've interacted with that day. They were strangers to her. Of course she was probably going to be polite to them while she waited around for her ride or while she was being taken to the bridge. That's how a lot of people are in those situations, it's pleasant small talk to pass the time. Her own family acknowledged she'd struggled with anxiety and depression and so on, but we're supposed to take the word of two random guys she met for a handful of minutes as proof that she couldn't be planning to kill herself? 

b) Just because someone isn't crying their eyes out or in clear, evident distress, that doesn't mean they aren't depressed or aren't suicidal. 

• Like 7

I really hope this show doesn't turn into Netflix's Unsolved Mysteries featuring stories about young adults who clearly committed suicide and present these cases as some kind of mysterious unsolved crime. They're not. 

Syd committed suicide. And I'm sorry her parents are unable to grieve her loss. There is no mystery here.

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was struck by how everyone kept making a big thing out of her brief conversations with the doorman at the hotel and the Uber driver, going on about how they said she was so friendly and chatty, so that was clear proof she couldn't possibly have killed herself!

I don't doubt those men's recollections, mind - they probably did have pleasant conversations with her during the brief time they interacted with her. However...

a) they also don't know her from any other woman they would've interacted with that day. They were strangers to her. Of course she was probably going to be polite to them while she waited around for her ride or while she was being taken to the bridge. That's how a lot of people are in those situations, it's pleasant small talk to pass the time. Her own family acknowledged she'd struggled with anxiety and depression and so on, but we're supposed to take the word of two random guys she met for a handful of minutes as proof that she couldn't be planning to kill herself? 

b) Just because someone isn't crying their eyes out or in clear, evident distress, that doesn't mean they aren't depressed or aren't suicidal. 

Many people who have depression mask it and don't appear to be sad or melancholy. They appear to be "normal". Unfortunately, I have known two people who commited suicide who were under the age of 20. I knew they were struggling but they masked their depression so well no one knew they had suicidal thoughts. Not even their families knew the extent or depth of their depression or that they had suicide on their minds. 

Syd was living somewhat of a nomadic life going from one family member's house or family friend's house to another out in California. She wasn't in school and was kind of alone and not focused on anything, being thus, those suicidal thoughts had ample space in her brain to occupy and fester. I just feel that her parents should have been more proactive in getting her help for her mental health issues and should have brought her back home when she decided to defer. Very sad ending for a girl who had a lot of promise.

• Sad 4
On 9/1/2023 at 8:41 PM, Annber03 said:

Quite often, when a depressed person is contemplating suicide, they actually appear to be improving, happy and chatty and behaving like their 'old selves'.  This is because they are relieved that the plan is in place and they will soon escape this life.

So, when her Uber driver, her father and the doorman thought she was in a good mood; it doesn't mean Sydney wasn't; just that she was happy that she was going to be committing suicide shortly.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

I'm confident Keith killed Dia. However, I hadn't realized Keith is/was involved with Diana Fedder (Dia's friend). The info is from an Unresolved Mysteries subreddit thread about the case.

Others have mentioned the show's focus on obvious suicide cases, but I kind of feel that way about cases where it's obvious the victim's significant other has killed them. These aren't mysteries either. It's just that LE needs more concrete evidence to make an arrest.

Screenshot_20230903_230934_Reddit~2.jpg

Some additional info: 

Screenshot_20230903_231512_Reddit~2.jpg

Isidro Garcia was the main ranch hand.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, the stuff that doesn't get discussed in these shows is fascinating. 

But yeah, Keith pinged my radar when he said that whole thing about how you don't murder people you love, you murder people you don't love. I was just like, "...you haven't seen a lot of true crime shows, have you?" 

And then his response to the sexual assault allegations, saying that it was a situation that was "blown way out of proportion" - like, that's not exactly a denial that anything happened, you know? 

But all that other information is very interesting indeed. Hm. It was amazing how quickly the show went from, "Oh, the son must've done it" to "No, we should look at Keith!" I felt like I was getting a bit of whiplash. 

Just. Yeah. LOTS of drama surrounding this family and this woman and all that sort of thing. 

Also, my mom was wondering how this whole thing with the legalities over her property and whatnot would work since she hasn't been legally declared dead yet and her body hasn't been found. As of now she's still just considered missing, and sure, she's been missing for quite some time, but still, I would think that'd have to throw a bit of a wrench into the whole thing of people claiming this and that in terms of legal property rights and whatnot. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

But yeah, Keith pinged my radar when he said that whole thing about how you don't murder people you love, you murder people you don't love. I was just like, "...you haven't seen a lot of true crime shows, have you?" 

Right? I sat there thinking "You're not supposed to murder anyone." 

Like, WTF. 😂

Dia's son sounds like he might be a dick too, but I'm not sure why he would need to kill his mother. He and his sister were inheriting the bulk of their father's estate.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Dia either. She seemed surrounded by assholes, but her lack of relationship with her own children makes me wonder if she had any hand in how things turned out. That whole dynamic seems odd, but plenty of toxic parents paint themselves as "loving and doting" and yet, can't figure out why their kids want nothing to do with them.

This case involves potentially shitty people all the way around, imo.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Dia's son sounds like he might be a dick too, but I'm not sure why he would need to kill his mother. He and his sister were inheriting the bulk of their father's estate.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Dia either. She seemed surrounded by assholes, but her lack of relationship with her own children makes me wonder if she had any hand in how things turned out. That whole dynamic seems odd, but plenty of toxic parents paint themselves as "loving and doting" and yet, can't figure out why their kids want nothing to do with them.

This case involves potentially shitty people all the way around, imo.

My thoughts exactly. Pretty much almost everyone in this story was rubbing me the wrong way. I definitely agree there's a LOT more to the whole dynamic with Dia and her kids beyond what was discussed in this episode, 'cause yeah when you're at the point where you're supposedly afraid of your son and not wanting the kids to come on the property and there's murder accusations being thrown around, I mean...that speaks to some serious stuff that's been brewing for a long, long, LONG time. Like I said above, there was just so much drama, and I agree that I don't think it was solely caused by the kids.

I also like how there was all this scrutiny of her son, and no scrutiny towards her daughter. Maybe the daughter never gave off threatening vibes, I dunno, but, I mean, Dia didn't seem to want her around any more than necessary, either, so... It's like nobody considered the idea that the daughter could be a suspect, too. I did appreciate the one guy shutting down the "organized crime/mafia" theory, though, 'cause seriously, this case is already messy and chaotic enough, we don't need to be dragging in these weird conspiratorial angles and outlandish theories. There were family disputes and we have a boyfriend with a shady past. Plenty to work with for possible motive right there.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

, my mom was wondering how this whole thing with the legalities over her property and whatnot would work since she hasn't been legally declared dead yet and her body hasn't been found. As of now she's still just considered missing, and sure, she's been missing for quite some time, but still, I would think that'd have to throw a bit of a wrench into the whole thing of people claiming this and that in terms of legal property rights and whatnot. 

I imagine, considering running a ranch is a pretty labor intensive enterprise, Dia had named Keith and Diana as having power of attorney to run the business should she be unavailable/incapacitated.  So, when she disappeared, Keith was the one who would make decisions regarding the ranch in her absence.

And, yeah, Keith 'disappeared' her, all right.  Possibly with the help and cooperation of Diana, who it seems he had on the side while living with Dia.

There are some major family dynamics involved in Dia's relationship with her kids that was not really explained on the show.  Amongst other things, presuming her marriage was stable, why did her late husband set up a trust for his holdings with the kids in control?  Why did the kids inherit the majority of the estate rather than passing to Dia who would pass it on to them once she died?  Why was there fighting over an aged pickup truck when the estates, both dad's and Dia's, were plenty big enough for everyone to be able to afford a nice vehicle? There's a story there, for sure.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

I agree that Sydney likely jumped. John Brooks and Erika Brooks, who lost their daughter, Casey, when she jumped in 2008, said she seemed excited about going to Bennington College even though they had recently experienced some rough patches. John wrote a book, The Girl Behind the Door, that goes into more detail. He also has a blog: https://parentingandattachment.com Casey's body was also never found, but they did have surveillance footage of her jumping at about 6:40am. (The tapes are erased after about six months, but the Brooks chose not to view it.) Also, Kevin Hines is one of the few to survive the jump and goes around speaking about his experience.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Oh Keith definitely is guilty...he had everything to gain from her disapperance and he seems like the type that would know how and where to dispose of a body. Her supposed friend Diana, seemed over the top to me...the fact that she's been "romantically" involved with Keith doesn't surprise me. she should watch her back...Keith might decide to make her disappear.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I did appreciate the one guy shutting down the "organized crime/mafia" theory, though, 'cause seriously, this case is already messy and chaotic enough, we don't need to be dragging in these weird conspiratorial angles and outlandish theories. There were family disputes and we have a boyfriend with a shady past. Plenty to work with for possible motive right there.

Right?

"Maybe it was the Mob?"

It's like, no it wasn't. They're not going to waste time with this mess of a family.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

I imagine, considering running a ranch is a pretty labor intensive enterprise, Dia had named Keith and Diana as having power of attorney to run the business should she be unavailable/incapacitated.  So, when she disappeared, Keith was the one who would make decisions regarding the ranch in her absence.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. My mom was wondering about how she was able to afford the upkeep on all three properties - yeah, she inherited that stuff from her late husband, but still, that's a lot of area to take care of financially and otherwise. 

On a totally random, and much lighter note, good lord, that area of California is absolutely beautiful. If nothing else, I was enjoying getting to see the lovely shots of the scenery throughout the episode. 

• Like 3

I've been one of those who hated the new Disappeared format once it changed. I especially hated the family members searching for someone in real time, beating under bushes etc while a film crew followed, stuff like that. The people missing were so newly gone that there was nothing to grab onto for a TV show to fill an hour with. But I would follow the narrator anywhere and I am smitten with the show it used to be so I continued to watch.

And this season patience has paid off. The way the episodes and cases are being set up and filmed this season has been great. It is a good mix of the new format and the old. The cases are just old enough that there is information enough to fill the time slot and there's no stupid stunt filming of anguished family members 'searching' in real time even though it's obviously a lame reenactment. I really like this new season and I feel, as I always do, so much for the friends and family and want them to find their person and get the word out so I am there for that. And I like the fact that some episodes pretty much just have friends who are searching and not family because sometimes that is what you have and I admire the friends for stepping up for their person and filling that hole that lack of family sometimes leaves behind when a person is missing. Sometimes it's all a person has, to rely on loving friends to look for them.

All in all, I really like this show again.  Just don't ever change narrators on me. Please.

• Like 5

I have to say that the episode about Sheena Gibbs was one of the saddest that I have watched. I understand that her mother was ill and couldn't participate. But all they had were three "friends" who supposedly knew her for many years. Yet, none of them knew where she lived, who her boyfriend was, where she worked, or any personal details that a good friend should know. They were worried about her but didn't know how to contact the boyfriend or how to find her residence to check on her. They did do the job of the police by finding what little leads there were to find and nothing to show for it. So sad. Hopefully this show will bring in some new leads.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2023 at 4:36 PM, Kat20 said:

I agree that Sydney likely jumped. John Brooks and Erika Brooks, who lost their daughter, Casey, when she jumped in 2008, said she seemed excited about going to Bennington College even though they had recently experienced some rough patches. John wrote a book, The Girl Behind the Door, that goes into more detail. He also has a blog: https://parentingandattachment.com Casey's body was also never found, but they did have surveillance footage of her jumping at about 6:40am. (The tapes are erased after about six months, but the Brooks chose not to view it.) Also, Kevin Hines is one of the few to survive the jump and goes around speaking about his experience.

The site is for sale.