Type keyword(s) to search

Disappeared - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Recall her brother returned a phone call to a witness who had been with his sister the last time she is seen.  HE ADMITS that he verbally attacked the guy.  WTH!  Why would you verbally attack a person who is volunteering information about your missing sister?  Made no sense.

Oh, right. I forgot about that. Talk about Keystone-Kop'ing things. Jesus. I don't know why the girlfriend didn't call the guy and sweet talk him into saying what he had to say. 

I think they all came from a rough-and-tumble, hardscrabble lives -- not the upper-middle-class, saccharine suburban confines ID always lumps everyone into. Nothing wrong with that -- that's how I was raised -- but there's never any implication, as I think there should be, that poor decision making, drugs, lack of education, and utterly dysfunctional home lives enter into anything.

I agree.  I do empathize with her having mental illness, but, she seemed to continue to have children that she was unable to raise, yet, her family seemed to think that was just fine.  Maybe, she felt she was causing them too much grief, so she just went elsewhere to spare them.  At least, she should let them know she's alive, if that is the case.   

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do empathize with her having mental illness, but, she seemed to continue to have children that she was unable to raise  

This struck me as well. It seemed like having the first kid triggered Deanne's mental illness. Also,  I was thinking that maybe she had been suffering from PPD. I was surprised that she continued having more children, despite the fact she was having problems keeping her bipolar disorder in check.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Often times bi-polar people stop taking their meds because they miss the mania as it makes them feel alive. I think she's alive and homeless somewhere. Hopefully, someone will spot her and her family can at least contact her.

On a personal note, I have a family member who is homeless and mentally ill. I legally cannot force help on him as he's not a danger to himself or others and can take care of himself. In California that is a broad statement that pretty much means the person is able to get food, put it in their mouth and take care of the most basic hygiene. I'm not saying that we should round people up and lock them in facilities but there has to be something between that and doing nothing because these vulnerable people are often victims. Even if those guys didn't kill this lady, they did something to her in the storage facility and/ or the bushes. I felt her mother and her daughter-in-law's pain of wishing things had been different.

• Love 7
On 6/26/2017 at 4:35 AM, mamadrama said:

This last case...Damn. Just about everyone let Deann down, from the police to the random strangers she encountered. In my state, they would have hauled her ass in for mental health problems or suspected public intoxication. Asked questions later. That might be considered a violation of freedom but if it had happened in this case, then there might not be a disappearance case at all. I think this woman is either dead somewhere (probably by accident) or is suffering from some kind of fugue state and doesn't know where or who she is. I don't think Mike is involved. This woman was clearly unstable and having some mental issues. 

The police officer said where they were had no public intoxication laws and no legal reason to detain or arrest her

3 hours ago, snowblossom2 said:

The police officer said where they were had no public intoxication laws and no legal reason to detain or arrest her

Yes, that was the point I was commenting on. We DO have such laws here. 

(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 11:10 PM, mamadrama said:

Yes, that was the point I was commenting on. We DO have such laws here. 

Those laws are mostly used to harass people. I have seen cops drag people in for "public intoxication" in the Bay Area. These people were in their own backyard. They were not drinking, even. The cops came trying to arrest a relative for a warrant. They were angry that the relative had proof that the warrant had already been dealt with, so they started harassing everyone else there. My husband had dropped by to say hello to the homeowner. He had been there for 10 minutes when the cops showed up, and he got dragged in for "public intoxication," then had to jump through hoops to prove he was sober and get the bullshit charges dropped. I dropped by to tell him dinner was ready, and had the slimeball cop treat me like shit, too. Those laws are built for this kind of abuse, and shouldn't exist anywhere. I don't think it was a coincidence that all the men being harassed were Black and Latino, either. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
On 7/3/2017 at 9:20 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know if this show is being replaced by a new one called Gone?  I've seen some previews for it.  It looks similar.

I said something earlier. I, too, wondered if it's a replacement. 

But Gone kind of looked like a show where the person is eventually found. Unless I misunderstood that commercial. 

13 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

But Gone kind of looked like a show where the person is eventually found. Unless I misunderstood that commercial. 

Right.  At the end, it says something about Found or Still Gone?  If I recall it correctly. I would like it if there is a resolution at the end of each show.  Like they are located alive or dead.  At least we know. 

• Love 2

I'm watching A Mother's Search on ID right now . Our favorite original narrator for Disappeared is the narrator for this show as well. In fact, the music is the old Disappeared music, and the sound effects,  too. Now that I mention it, this story seems oddly familiar...kids on a magazine crew, girl goes missing....

• Love 2
On 7/4/2017 at 7:35 AM, Surrealist said:

I tend to doubt it's a replacement. After all, they do ten million different shows about someone who's been "done wrong" in a sexual relationship. There's room for two about missing people.

• Love 3
(edited)

Does anyone remember if the show mentioned what happened to Lynn Messer's body? This blog is claiming that it was just released to Kerry, and he took it to Arkansas for burial without informing her sons, mother or sister. Someone on Websleuths said the show mentioned that she was cremated last year. I can't remember, though. If this is true, though, Kerry continues to be monstrous. 

https://chocolateorelse.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/lynn-messer-secretly-transported-across-state-lines-and-buried/

Edited by azshadowwalker
(edited)
14 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I tend to doubt it's a replacement. After all, they do ten million different shows about someone who's been "done wrong" in a sexual relationship. There's room for two about missing people.

This is true. 

Initially, I was thinking, "they only brought back Disappeared to get rid of it again and replace it with a new show?" I'll need to set up the DVR for Gone.

Edited by Surrealist
On 6/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, walnutqueen said:

OK, so either the 24 year old who likes driving underage teens to parties has some undiscovered medical condition that makes him smell like decomposing flesh (zombie alert!), or he's a killer.  One cadaver dog hit could be a mistake, but THREE?  His car, his home and his workplace?  Yeah, that's just too much of a coinky-dinky.

I think "Cadaver Dogs" are junk science. I wouldn't want to have my fate hinging on some animal. Who knows what a dog is thinking in his own mind. He could simply be curious about some other smell that interests him.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I think "Cadaver Dogs" are junk science. I wouldn't want to have my fate hinging on some animal. Who knows what a dog is thinking in his own mind. He could simply be curious about some other smell that interests him.

I agree with that! He could be thinking, "Squirrel!" 

• Love 1

Well trained cadaver dogs are not "junk science".  Dogs have a sense of smell that is probably a thousand times stronger than ours.  If you want a real eye-opening account on dogs' sense of smell, try reading Being a Dog: Following the Dog into a World of Smell. I'm suspicious of a number of forensic techniques, bite marks for one (unless the teeth are greatly misshapen), but not cadaver dogs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Well trained cadaver dogs are not "junk science".  Dogs have a sense of smell that is probably a thousand times stronger than ours.  If you want a real eye-opening account on dogs' sense of smell, try reading Being a Dog: Following the Dog into a World of Smell. I'm suspicious of a number of forensic techniques, bite marks for one (unless the teeth are greatly misshapen), but not cadaver dogs.

I agree.  Having watched K-9s being rigorously trained and tested for various scenting tasks, I can attest to their remarkable skills.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Well trained cadaver dogs are not "junk science".  Dogs have a sense of smell that is probably a thousand times stronger than ours.  If you want a real eye-opening account on dogs' sense of smell, try reading Being a Dog: Following the Dog into a World of Smell. I'm suspicious of a number of forensic techniques, bite marks for one (unless the teeth are greatly misshapen), but not cadaver dogs.

I agree.  Having watched K-9s being rigorously trained and tested for various scenting tasks, I can attest to their remarkable skills.  

Well,think how you would feel if you suddenly found yourself a murder suspect and you were innocent and  having suspicion thrown on you by a dog who no one REALLY knows what they are thinking/reacting to?
I'll pass!

19 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Well,think how you would feel if you suddenly found yourself a murder suspect and you were innocent and  having suspicion thrown on you by a dog who no one REALLY knows what they are thinking/reacting to?
I'll pass!

I'd wrack my brains trying to figure out where the cadaver scent was coming from.  If they're using cadaver dogs on your property or vehicle, they already have a search warrant, and you are already under suspicion for other reasons.  It's an investigative tool, not an indictment.

Bottom line?  I trust well trained dogs more than I trust most cops.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I'd wrack my brains trying to figure out where the cadaver scent was coming from.  If they're using cadaver dogs on your property or vehicle, they already have a search warrant, and you are already under suspicion for other reasons.  It's an investigative tool, not an indictment.

Bottom line?  I trust well trained dogs more than I trust most cops.

The thing is there is no guarantee. Who at work hasn't at least once pretended to be working but your mind is somewhere else.  Who is to say a dog might just be doing what he thinks his master wants him to do but he's not really "on the trail" of a cadaver scent.. I 'm afraid its just to big of an unknown what the dog is really doing/smelling. It may be a tool but there is too big a risk that its a reliable tool.

(edited)
On 7/27/2017 at 8:04 PM, North of Eden said:

The thing is there is no guarantee. Who at work hasn't at least once pretended to be working but your mind is somewhere else.  Who is to say a dog might just be doing what he thinks his master wants him to do but he's not really "on the trail" of a cadaver scent.. I 'm afraid its just to big of an unknown what the dog is really doing/smelling. It may be a tool but there is too big a risk that its a reliable tool.

There is never a guarantee on any investigative technique.  Mistakes can be made.  An even more unreliable tool is a cop's "instinct", or "hunch", or a reliance on lie detector tests, eyewitnesses, or immediate suspicion/certainty of guilt if anyone dares to exercise their rights to "lawyer up".  Cops can pretend to work while doing no real investigative work either, and pin a crime on an innocent person, just so they can "close a case" or please their supervisors.  

Soldiers put their lives on the line and trust in the abilities of their scent trained dogs all the time.  To me, that's a pretty good indication that this isn't just "junk science".

No matter.  We'll just have to disagree on this topic.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 11

ID aired a 1-hour show tonight called What Happened to Maura Murray? I recorded it, and it seems to be a repackaged episode of Disappeared, with the same narrator and graphics, but it's labeled as a "new" episode on my channel guide. Did anyone else catch this? It wouldn't be the first time they've done it!

ETA: Yeah this is definitely another repackaged Disappeared. I'd never seen it before but it's obvious, yet ID actually has a graphic on screen that says "All New #MauraMurray On Now"! Cheeky!

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, azshadowwalker said:

Yeah, I watched the Maura Murray  "special" only to discover a repackaged Disappeared episode, too. Disappointed. I want new episodes, not old shit. 

There is a series on Oxygen (looks to be the 2nd episode airing tonight) that just started. I found your comment when searching to see if a Forum had been started for this.  It is called "The Disappearance of Maura Murray"

• Love 3
On April 6, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Agree with everyone who thinks Macin committed suicide. I've a tendency to also think he was gay -- and that was what he wrote in the note he kept in his wallet -- the contents "too painful" for his parents to share publicly. 

I did have a laugh about the mother talking about Macin's "addiction" to anime as if it were some sort of weird affliction. The kid liked anime - what's the big deal? 

The whole anime thing annoyed me. They had previously agreed that he could watch his show if he made a good grade. He delivered while the parents tried not to. I have no theory on what happened to him, but I was thoroughly annoyed by the mom and dad. 

On May 21, 2017 at 0:20 AM, mamadrama said:

And yet the rules about what we can and cannot talk about are also hindering at the same time. No talking about it unless it's been written about in mainstream media means that we're missing out on a lot of things being said elsewhere. Of course, that rule at least keeps out the REALLY bad sleuthing and defamation that comes with other sites. 

This infuriates me. I understand it is in place for good reason, however it's a hindrance most of the time. I was closely involved with a missing persons case two years ago. It was hard having to watch people speculate and ask questions that I could've easily answered, but couldn't because the answers hadn't been reported in the news. I knew 3 days before the news reported that the bodies found were my friends, but couldn't let anyone know because, again, it hadn't been reported. Double edged sword. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 5:42 AM, 00redsvt said:

This infuriates me. I understand it is in place for good reason, however it's a hindrance most of the time. I was closely involved with a missing persons case two years ago. It was hard having to watch people speculate and ask questions that I could've easily answered, but couldn't because the answers hadn't been reported in the news. I knew 3 days before the news reported that the bodies found were my friends, but couldn't let anyone know because, again, it hadn't been reported. Double edged sword. 

If you register as an insider for a specific case, the rules are loosened. Most people don't, but it's the best way to do it. 

• Love 1

I saw the Lynn Messer case for the first time this week. It was fascinating. I suspect Dear Old Dad. Demanding the youngest fancy-pants son move the cows was very suspicious considering where the dogs hit and where she was found. I also found it quite odd that the dad woke everyone up looking for Lynn yet the son and wife just went back to sleep. That Son And Wife didn't panic makes me think her vanishing wasn't unusual, and they did say she'd walk at night. That the dad "panicked" and alerted everyone in the wee hours of the morning over something Son And Wife paid little attention to makes me cast a very suspicious gaze in his direction. Me thinks he was establishing an alibi of sorts. 

• Love 6

I'm in the process of clearing out dozens of tabs I have open, and a few are about this show so I thought I'd link them for later and because others may be interested.

Abram Messer, son of Lynn Messer, the woman whose remains were found on her family's property past where the husband had her son move the cattle to throw the dogs off scent, is calling for his father to come clean about her death. It was Season 7, Episode 1, titled American Gothic. We here at PTV were in agreement that the husband had something to do with it because of his shady actions. If he weren't so odd, I probably could have considered natural causes. Their entire family was a bit weird to me.

Season 1, Episode 8, titled The Long Drive Home, was about Michelle McMullen, who disappeared intentionally when she discovered the embezzlement of her church had been discovered. A Pennsylvania paper did an in-depth story on her.

Season 7, Episode 11, titled A Bridge too Far, was about Richard Petrone and Danielle Imbo who left a bar one evening and disappeared off the face of the earth. Imbo was from Mt. Vernon, New Jersey, a place my uncle lived for over 30 years, and for 25 of them, he worked for the City. As soon as I saw Mt. Vernon, I asked if he wanted to stay and watch it, and he knew exactly who it was and proceeded to tell me all about the case before the episode started, including that the soon-to-be-ex-husband of Imbo hired a hitman to dispose of them and hid out with a bunch of cops for an alibi. He told me about them searching chop shops and discovering a huge amount of cars underwater in a particular place that were discovered during the investigation of the missing persons case. They were all insurance fraud cases, where you can hire someone to steal your car to obtain the insurance amount, Petrone's truck wasn't one of them though. I was quite impressed, again, with how much information Disappeared includes in the shows. My uncle is certain that the ex-husband had law enforcement help to cover his tracks, including a theory that it was an officer who managed to make them vanish. There is a huge conspiracy theory about local police involvement, and he claims that is why the FBI were called it. I had an article that I must have closed because I don't see it now, even in my history, that said the FBI were involved because they didn't know which state they disappeared from, New Jersey or Pennsylvania, and also that the police relatives the ex-husband was with when they disappeared were being investigated for improper use of office materials, specifically a computer program. 

After working for Mt. Laurel for decades, my uncle is insistent that the entire City government is corrupt. They did screw around with his retirement benefits, which required him to work an additional five years until the Union could get it sorted out, because if he left at 20 years, he would lose a large amount of his pension and health benefits, because the retirement funds had been invested in some kind of Ponzi scheme. As awful as that was, his actually problem is that the cops kept arresting his oldest son for the crimes committed, by his oldest son. Once, they arrested his youngest son accusing him of being his brother, even though they don't look anything alike and he was four years younger. Once they got him to the jail and fingerprints showed he wasn't his brother, he was released to my uncle who proceeded to berate them for being corrupt. In his opinion, Petrone and Imbo weren't investigated very well because of corruption and the FBI knows who the hitman is and was trying to get him give evidence about the ex-husband in exchange for a lighter sentence, but were unsuccessful and this case is unlikely to ever be solved. My uncle moved here to Ohio, where he grew up, but his oldest son stayed behind in NJ, primarily because he was not allowed to leave the state since the corrupt cops keep insisting on arresting him for the crimes he keeps committing. 

Storms are causing brown-outs which are causing my router to restart, so I'm going to go ahead and post these and do the others later. There are probably five more. 

• Love 6

I wasn't aware season 8 existed until recently, and we're marathoning it now.  So glad to find this forum!  Like others, I really wish more of the episodes on this show had some sort of resolution.  I think my all-time favorite Disappeared was the one where the woman had just moved off to Oregon to work as a nanny and didn't think her family would miss her.  It would be nice if every now and then, the show would throw us a bone and give us more of those endings.  Am I asking too much?  Perhaps...

Other thoughts:

--Like many posters, I feel like the show intentionally (?) leaves out some details that would be useful. 

--With the Katelin episode, I thought it was really odd that, while her stepfather was clearly lying and everyone clearly knew he was lying, no one, including the police, seemed to actually think of him as a suspect.  That made me feel like I was missing out on some information. 

--My husband and I also initially thought Macin was gay and that was the content of the note.  But then the mom said "there was no indication" he was gay, which would have been an odd thing to say since she'd read the note.

--I didn't really judge Kayla Berg's mom for "letting" her go out and party.  Eh.  She was a single mom, raising two kids, a blue-collar worker who was struggling to find a job, her ex husband and the kids' father was dying... I mean, yeah, she could have done more to rein Kayla in, but she had a lot on her plate.  I agree Kayla's friends were annoying, though.  I had to roll my eyes at the one who was whining about how the media portrayed their "fun" in a negative light.  Yeah, that's the real tragedy here, Blue Hair. 

--I also wish they'd just stick to the adult missing cases.  I could not emotionally handle the one with the little boy whose mom went swimming in the pool (although, P.S., wtf was that about?).  When the grandma broke down at the end, I totally lost it.  That poor family.   

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ladle said:

Other thoughts:

--Like many posters, I feel like the show intentionally (?) leaves out some details that would be useful. 

Yeah, I always do more research after watching the episodes. I'm sure the families want certain information omitted from the show as well.

• Love 3

Season 2, Episode 2 "The Beauty Queen Mystery": Tara Grinstead was an American beauty queen and high school history teacher who lived in Ocilla, Georgia and has been missing since October 23, 2005. Over the span of a decade, it became the largest case file in Georgia's history. Ryan Alexander Dukes, a former student at Irwin County High School, was charged with her murder in 2016; Bo Dukes was also indicted for helping dispose of her remains, allegedly by burning. As pf September 7, 2017, no trial date has been set for either of them.

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 2

Which case baffles you the most? Obviously they all are mysterious but which one gives you the major creeps?

For me, it's the disappearance of Steven Koecher. Everything - from the days leading up to his disappearance, where his vehicle was eventually found, the grainy surveillance footage, the pings from his cellphone - makes no sense.  

Edited by lexytheblasian
On 4/11/2017 at 1:04 AM, azshadowwalker said:
On 4/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I just started watching but did I hear that right? Kortne's boyfriend Bradley was on probation for "underage drinking?" And was going to have to serve his remaining four YEARS in jail for violating? What?! I live in PA and have never heard of anyone getting sentenced to years in prison for drinking while underage. 

That was just Kortne freaking out, thinking he would spend the rest of his probation time locked up. It didn't actually happen, and wasn't going to. So, you're right, it's not something real. 

That aspect of the case reminded me so much of the Bradyn Fuksa episode.  If I recall, Bradyn was so concerned he was going to go to jail for stealing a small amount of money from the cash register at work (which, if I recall correctly, he even returned most of?).  Even his dad said he'd have to come back "and answer for what he's done" or similarly-ominous language.  It seemed like the police put the fear of god into him and he thought he was going to do serious time, when I doubt he'd have served any. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

Which case baffles you the most? Obviously they all are mysterious but which one gives you the major creeps?

For me, it's the disappearance of Steven Koecher. Everything - from the days leading up to his disappearance, where his vehicle was eventually found, the grainy surveillance footage, the pings from his cellphone - makes no sense.  

Is that the young Morman man?  I’d agree that one and the two friends who disappeared from one’s house aft her father & mother were found murdered and the house burned.  I think the visiting friend was named Laurel or Laura?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Is that the young Morman man?  I’d agree that one and the two friends who disappeared from one’s house aft her father & mother were found murdered and the house burned.  I think the visiting friend was named Laurel or Laura?

Yes, the young Morman man. So incredibly disturbing.

Omg that’s another baffling case, good call. Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman. That one also gave me the heepbie jeepbies, big time. Such a strange case. I hope those girls are alive and well somewhere.

• Love 1

There were several posts on Reddit that suggested he was working off his rent by transporting drugs for his landlord, who was later arrested on drug related charges. There was one comment that really summarized the theory, and I find myself agreeing with it as the most likely. He likely wasn't a drug user, just working off a debt after the landlord called his parents to say he was three months behind. His mom transferred money to him to pay it, but it was never touched, likely because he was no longer alive. He would hardly be the first person to resort to such action when finding themselves dead broke.

The theory that he is living a new life somewhere because he is gay just doesn't ring true to me, because he was so close to his family. If he was gay, he may have decided to leave the LDS faith, but can't see him abandoning his family for this long, when it was clear they were searching for him. There wasn't anything found that suggested he was gay, either, like there was in another case where a man abandoned his wife and kids and they only found out he was alive after a paycheck from California was garnished for unpaid child support. Receipts for condoms when he and his wife were trying to get pregnant, along with finding out that he had part of his paycheck going to a separate account while his wife pinched pennies and there were subscriptions to dating sites, resulted in her filing for divorce for abandonment, and the State creating a child support order. I think they were hispanic and Jehovah's Witnesses, but cannot remember the names. 

Between the linked comment and the ones that follow, there is a suggestion that the car seen on the video, which pulls into a driveway for a minute before backing out, and in that brief window of time, Steven is seen exiting his car, is involved. The police have said that they tracked down that person and it was a realtor working in the area. However, the full length video shows her arriving at the house about 45 minutes earlier, walking to the door and escorting what appeared to be an elderly female out to the SUV before driving off. She returned in the video clip of Steven exiting his car and on the longer video, which I haven't seen myself, the elderly woman gets out and walks into the house and the woman drives off. It's possible that she took the woman to a doctor and pharmacy to get pills and drove over to sell them to Steven in an area away from the house, but I think the private investigator the family hired would have figured that out if it was true. They know where Steven's phone went and if she was seen somewhere else in that time, like at work or showing a house, she wouldn't have been the one who took him. Of course, that assumes the police did more than ask her why she was in the area and if she saw him, which she said she didn't. 

Unfortunately, I think he, like many of the others, won't be found unless a hunter or hiker happens to come across his remains. Maybe, if it is drug related, someone will give up where he is in exchange for some leniency, and I really hope his family receives the chance to bury him in accordance with their faith. 

I'm going to clear a few more tabs here. I had an article opened that said it was shown on Disappeared but can't remember seeing it and don't see it on the list. In case I'm overlooking it, I'm going to link the Wikipedia page that is more thorough than the article on The Suicide of Randy Potter. He disappeared in January and was found in September in an airport parking lot that was supposedly checked daily with the license plates recorded. 

I'm also going to use the Wikipedia link on The Disappearance of Michael Williams, because it is also pretty thorough with links to the articles I read. He was the man who had "went duck hunting and drowned only to be eaten by alligators" one early December morning and his wife had him declared deceased six months later, even though his body had never been found. She later married his best friend, and he was sentenced in December 2017 to 20 years in prison for kidnapping her at gunpoint after she initiated a divorce. The next day, it was reported that Mike Williams' remains have been found, and his mother will finally get to bury him. The police aren't saying how they found him, only that they received the information the week before and had notified his mother before the press conference. I didn't watch it but it is on one of the above links, I just read the articles.

Danice Day was from Season 4. She supposedly left to meet friends and was never seen again. She was found deceased in 2009 and her boyfriend was charged with her murder. He had struck her when she said she was leaving, and put her body in a barrel and dropped her in a lake. He received 12 years in prison. 

William McGrath was from Season 4. He was an interior decorator who disappeared in August 2009 in Arizona. His financial advisor received a phone call from someone claiming to be him, and the police found a man who worked for him, Brad Tocker, had assumed his identity to steal his money. Tocker was convicted of his murder and the financial frauds, but they didn't have his body. Before sentencing, Tocker told them he buried McGrath beneath the kitchen floor of a home he owned at the time. This case didn't ring any bells to me, so I googled and also found where someone linked the Appellate Decision that has more information, but I still don't remember it. 

Also in Season 4 (it had over 20 episodes!) was Allison Jackson-Foy, who was last seen at a bar speaking to a man in July 2006. In April 2008, her remains were found next to a woman Angela Rothens, who went missing in 2007. There haven't been any arrests, but the police have suggested it was the work of a serial killer. This one isn't familiar to me, either.

Speaking of serial killers, I had two tabs about women whose remains were misidentified until the last few years, after the DNA was retested. Both of them were linked to different serial killers by DNA found when they exhumed the bodies, but I closed them and can't find them now. They may not have been from this show so I closed them, but it was interesting how much better DNA testing had become since the 1980s and how awful it was for those families to be told the women weren't their loved ones.

As much as I hope ALL of the missing are found, I'd really like Terrence Williams, Felipe Santos, Patti Adkins and Joey Lynn Offut to be found. With the exception of Offut, who may have committed suicide after the death of her baby, the other three have pretty obvious murderers walking around free, and finding Williams and Santos will likely lead to other victims of that psychopath former Deputy Sheriff Steve Caulkins.

• Love 5

I had created a post right before the server upgrade, and it apparently didn't post before it started, because it's gone now. One of the cases I find most baffling is the Disappearance of Brian Shaffer. He was seen on surveillance camera entering a nightclub with his girlfriend and a friend, but not leaving through the only way out, and has never been seen since. His girlfriend claimed he went to the restroom, and they got separated. His friend is a suspect in his disappearance, but no one can figure out how he vanished in that club. (Well, damn. While searching for the episode number of Disappeared I discovered it was covered on Dateline. I'm leaving it with the Wikipedia link, though, because some of you may find it interesting.)

The other case I find baffling is Joey Lynn Offutt.  There are many websites about her case, but they tend to be blogs with people's opinions and not a lot of facts, so I didn't link them. In June 2016, she was declared dead. Her case is heartbreaking, because there are a few options for her disappearance as opposed to a pretty clear one, like in the case of Terrence Williams and Felipe Santos who were murdered by the psychopath ex- Deputy Sheriff Steve Caulkins.

She had the mental capacity of a fourteen year old, was too trusting of people and had met a man online who wanted to photograph her naked, and had some domestic violence cases with her infant son's dad. She hadn't had any internet access for a few months, so if she contacted that man there wasn't any evidence of it.

For a few days, she didn't return phone calls and didn't open the door for the social worker who had an appointment to be there. Then, one day she was seen walking down the street with her baby carriage and a neighbor said hi. He didn't notice if the baby was actually in the carriage, but she was not very responsive to him. Within a few days, her home was on fire, her six-week-old son was found deceased in the tub of water, her purse and ID were in the house but she was not. The medical exam showed that the baby had died before the fire and did not die from drowning, but was unable to determine a cause of death.

She and the baby's father had an argument a few days before about how she was bathing the baby in the kitchen sink. It has lead to theories that she may have accidentally drowned the baby, but the medical exam has ruled that out. The baby's father and her mother have said that she was suffering from postpartum depression and that made the arguments worse, but neither thought she was a danger to the baby. 

Her car was found at an old apartment complex of hers, backed into a space correctly, a task her mother says she wouldn't have been able to do because she didn't drive well enough. There is a wooded area around that complex and my theory is that is where she will be found eventually.

With her son only being six-weeks-old and the medical exam not finding a cause of death, I think he died of SIDS, which sent her spiralling farther down the PPD trail and she set the house on fire and drove away in an altered state, ultimately arriving where she used to live. In that state, she could have walked into the wooded area and fell, injuring herself, or committed suicide intentionally, but I don't know how since there was no mention of her having a gun or medications she could have used to do so. Hanging or cutting her wrists would require some mental function that she may not have if she was in a psychosis. 

At the end of the day, though, we'll never know until she is found, and it's unlikely she's alive. With her mental capacity and small size (5'3 110 lbs), she could easily be overpowered and murdered or kidnapped by an Ariel Castro. 

• Love 1

David Riemens, the guy who built the "hobbit house" and lived in a treehouse, was found a couple of days ago. Or rather, his body was found. His body was discovered only 4 miles from the Dollar Store and VERY close to the property in which he lived. They are investigating it as a crime, though they haven't released any details yet. 

I am still trying to put this one together. I think it's someone he knew. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Christina said:

The other case I find baffling is Joey Lynn Offutt.  

God, yes. That's the one case from the show that always upset me most. Most of all because I think the the boyfriend killed her along with the son. I googled him years ago to see if his "computer business" ever took off and wound up going down the rabbit hole that took me to his FB page where, in the ensuing years, he apparently Jesus'd up and got married. What struck me most about him was his callous, "I've moved on" statement from the original show when asked how he felt about her disappearance. I'll never not believe he didn't had a hand in what happened to her and the baby. 

I just saw, what I think is a repeat of this show on ID Discovery.  Missing Florida girl Tiffany Daniels' car is found along with her things parked near the beach. 

Is it just because I watch a lot of true crime stuff that I think differently, but, what's up with any adult since the 90's who blows off a young woman who suddenly goes missing without an explanation.  I just don't get it. When Tiffany's older, male roommate noticed that she didn't return home by late evening, he called his adult daughter, who was friends with Tiffany, to express concern.  But, friend says, oh, don't worry. She's fine.  Really? Who does that?  Then, the friend's father/roommate waits FIVE days before calling Tiffany's mother to express concern.  But, after hearing the story, mom thinks no problem.  She's probably fine. Tiffany had 2 jobs. She wasn't one to just blow off her obligations.  Do any of these people watch news?  They got a late start searching because people who regularly communicated with Tiffany did nothing when she first disappeared. 

Is it common to swim alone at night in the ocean?  That's one theory.  Sounds odd for a young woman to do to me, but,........or was she abducted for human trafficking.  Or was she abducted elsewhere and her car just parked at the beach to throw off police? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 2/7/2018 at 8:49 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I just saw, what I think is a repeat of this show on ID Discovery.  Missing Florida girl Tiffany Daniels' car is found along with her things parked near the beach. 

Is it just because I watch a lot of true crime stuff that I think differently, but, what's up with any adult since the 90's who blows off a young woman who suddenly goes missing without an explanation.  I just don't get it. When Tiffany's older, male roommate noticed that she didn't return home by late evening, he called his adult daughter, who was friends with Tiffany, to express concern.  But, friend says, oh, don't worry. She's fine.  Really? Who does that?  Then, the friend's father/roommate waits FIVE days before calling Tiffany's mother to express concern.  But, after hearing the story, mom thinks no problem.  She's probably fine. Tiffany had 2 jobs. She wasn't one to just blow off her obligations.  Do any of these people watch news?  They got a late start searching because people who regularly communicated with Tiffany did nothing when she first disappeared. 

Is it common to swim alone at night in the ocean?  That's one theory.  Sounds odd for a young woman to do to me, but,........or was she abducted for human trafficking.  Or was she abducted elsewhere and her car just parked at the beach to throw off police? 

It is NOT common to take evening swims in Florida if you are a Floridian.  Unless you want to be shark bait. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, spankydoll said:

It is NOT common to take evening swims in Florida if you are a Floridian.  Unless you want to be shark bait. 

That's what I thought, but, her mom said that it sounded like something her daughter would do  (swimming alone, at night in the ocean.....really?).

• Love 2