Type keyword(s) to search

Disappeared - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Josette said:

In the episode, they mentioned the mother had been online that night.  I presume the police checked her online activity to verify the times.  Her whole story is weird.

A lot about Zachary's upbringing and Leah Hackett's life was left out of the episode.  She is definitely not a reliable person and was no stranger to lying.  The more I learn about her, the more I suspect her.

Police: Boys mother knows more

As far as her name change, though, it seems like she picked up the name Hanson when she married.  She married, divorced, and then married a second man within two years of her son's disappearance.

I live near Clearwater, but I'm not sure if I read this article before or not.  I'm surprised that more wasn't made out of the fact that her car was seen leaving and coming back at different hours early in the morning, and that the pool closed at 10 PM, which means the gate was locked.  

I guess without a body this woman can't be convicted, but now I'm more convinced than ever that she knows what happened to this little boy.  Either she allowed him to be taken by someone, or he wandered off looking for her and was snatched.  If it's the latter, she just didn't want to admit she left him alone while she was out cavorting.  It's too bad the grandmother just didn't get custody of him, as she appears to really love him.  

This woman is a pathetic excuse for a mother and human being.  

• Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Josette said:

As far as her name change, though, it seems like she picked up the name Hanson when she married.  She married, divorced, and then married a second man within two years of her son's disappearance.

I should have looked this up, because it was my suspicion. I didn't think people would make a big deal of it if it was a name acquired through marriage, though, so I accepted it as shady. Learned my lesson. Whatever else might be shady, that's not something that is.

@mamadrama, I assume you are talking about Libby's phone. Never did get the obsession with that, since the cops made it clear that video was recovered from the phone. I hope that story doesn't drag on so long that it ends up on these shows, but it looks like it might. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I should have looked this up, because it was my suspicion.

I thought she was just being sneaky, too, since people were saying she legally changed her name.  I didn't realize she had gotten married until I saw this article posted somewhere.  I'm still suspicious of her.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I should have looked this up, because it was my suspicion. I didn't think people would make a big deal of it if it was a name acquired through marriage, though, so I accepted it as shady. Learned my lesson. Whatever else might be shady, that's not something that is.

@mamadrama, I assume you are talking about Libby's phone. Never did get the obsession with that, since the cops made it clear that video was recovered from the phone. I hope that story doesn't drag on so long that it ends up on these shows, but it looks like it might. 

They actually haven't found the phone yet, although they are checking the quarry this weekend for it.  Images and videos were extracted from the cloud. I am sure that this case will make it on at least Dateline at some point.

So how many more episodes of Disappeared do we have left this season?

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Tonight's episode about Eric Franks was...weird.  I'm really not sure what to think about it.

It really was. I truly get the feeling that the police know a lot more than they said. It just seemed odd...

• Love 3
(edited)

I feel like the ex-girlfriend, Kendra, and her husband, John, are responsible for Eric's disappearance. 

As a breast cancer survivor, it's a bummer about Kendra's death and that Emily had it too.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

The link posted above about Bernhardt's mom now going by Hanson makes it sound like she kept the first name. My understanding from way back when was that she filed paperwork to have her entire name changed, it was granted, and she later married becoming Hanson. I'm not judging her for changing her last name after marriage, but for taking the legal steps to have it changed shortly after he disappeared, then moving to Hawaii.

Earlier, they played the episode of the young lady from Mexico who disappeared from Provo. Her family was desperately trying to get there to help search. Tonight's episode showed a mom continuing to text with a number she knew wasn't her son, hoping for something, anything, to help her find him. Bernhardt's mom legally changing her name and moving was just another thing she did that I find suspicious. Absent her story changing from fifteen minutes to maybe two hours, her swim in a closed pool fully dressed, and the other dozen things that don't add up, her name change probably wouldn't bother me. 

On tonight's episode, I wonder it the ex knew what happened. If it was her husband, and she knew, I would think she would give what info she had to the cops before she died. She may have suspected her husband but not have known anything useful. Continuing to use his phone was just stupid, though. They probably wouldn't have had any idea where or exactly when he disappeared if the person who killed him wasn't trying to keep his family contact going for a bit. Then, they bought the burner but got smart enough to not turn it on.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Christina said:

The link posted above about Bernhardt's mom now going by Hanson makes it sound like she kept the first name. My understanding from way back when was that she filed paperwork to have her entire name changed, it was granted, and she later married becoming Hanson. I'm not judging her for changing her last name after marriage, but for taking the legal steps to have it changed shortly after he disappeared, then moving to Hawaii.

Earlier, they played the episode of the young lady from Mexico who disappeared from Provo. Her family was desperately trying to get there to help search. Tonight's episode showed a mom continuing to text with a number she knew wasn't her son, hoping for something, anything, to help her find him. Bernhardt's mom legally changing her name and moving was just another thing she did that I find suspicious. Absent her story changing from fifteen minutes to maybe two hours, her swim in a closed pool fully dressed, and the other dozen things that don't add up, her name change probably wouldn't bother me. 

On tonight's episode, I wonder it the ex knew what happened. If it was her husband, and she knew, I would think she would give what info she had to the cops before she died. She may have suspected her husband but not have known anything useful. Continuing to use his phone was just stupid, though. They probably wouldn't have had any idea where or exactly when he disappeared if the person who killed him wasn't trying to keep his family contact going for a bit. Then, they bought the burner but got smart enough to not turn it on.

I agree about Zack's mom. Any one of her actions on their own would just make me shrug. Together? I find them suspicious. I find her moving to an inaccessible state and changing her name (yes, I know it is a married name) weird. Even the police say she is hard to get in touch with.

My boyfriend disappeared 20 years ago. He was never found. I hyphenated my married name, just in case he ever tries to find me. My husband approved. His mother has never moved from her home. I am not saying these things are healthy, but they are typical. My support group is full if similar anecdotes.

I am feeling the husband on this one. Or else just a sad, random killing and it is dumb luck that his body hasn't been found.

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

Upon second viewing of Eric's show...uh, yeah. I think it's totally the ex and/or her husband. And I think LE knows that as well. I believe the only reason their aired this show was to put pressure on the key players. The fact that Kendra had Eric's phone for days after his disappearance, calling auto salvage yards and stuff? Yeah. Her husband lied about having never seen Eric (he was witnessed threatening him at the motel). 

I feel bad for Eric's mom. We have a missing person's case in our town. An 18-year-old girl (Brookelyn Farthing) went to a party one night after her high school graduation and disappeared. The last thing she did was send texts to a friend saying that she was scared.  It has received some national attention. Although it is technically unsolved and cold, everyone knows who did it. They've justbeen crazy lucky thus far. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a couple of friends who were murdered. As I said in the general crime thread, I know who did one, but never contacted police. Her family knows as well as I do. If they won't risk their safety for the solution, I sure am not going to. They killed her and left her for her 5yo and 14yo sons to find, knowing the boys were in the house. There usually are people who know. There are also damned good reasons people don't talk. 

And if anyone is worried about women changing their names in marriage, there are better ways to fight that than blaming women. It sure as hell isn't nefarious.

Edited by azshadowwalker
On 5/29/2017 at 1:18 AM, Surrealist said:

I feel like the ex-girlfriend, Kendra, and her husband, John, are responsible for Eric's disappearance. 

OMG. I just watched this last night and they are completely responsible -- the minute they mentioned the possible inheritance was what sealed it for me. And the police know it, too. Sadly, the time has long since past for them to collect any sort of evidence. I don't even think a body would help at this point. 

And naturally, they moved to Florida because that state doesn't have enough murderous people living in it. 

17 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

OMG. I just watched this last night and they are completely responsible -- the minute they mentioned the possible inheritance was what sealed it for me. And the police know it, too. Sadly, the time has long since past for them to collect any sort of evidence. I don't even think a body would help at this point. 

The case gave me shades of the Mike Williams one.

• Love 1

OK, so either the 24 year old who likes driving underage teens to parties has some undiscovered medical condition that makes him smell like decomposing flesh (zombie alert!), or he's a killer.  One cadaver dog hit could be a mistake, but THREE?  His car, his home and his workplace?  Yeah, that's just too much of a coinky-dinky.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

OK, so either the 24 year old who likes driving underage teens to parties has some undiscovered medical condition that makes him smell like decomposing flesh (zombie alert!), or he's a killer.  One cadaver dog hit could be a mistake, but THREE?  His car, his home and his workplace?  Yeah, that's just too much of a coinky-dinky.

Frustrating isn't it.

Although I hear it all the time at work I am still amazed how kids "don't come home at night" and mom is usually "well, she's done this before and we just thought she'd show up".  What in hell? 

I realize I'm in a different generation but danger is danger - forty years ago or four days ago.  How can parents let their child roam and be so clueless as to what they're doing?  I also suspect the underage partying was waaay out of hand.  As usual, Disappeared sugarcoats the truth.  Which in my opinion makes it all them more difficult to get the necessary information out there to the public.

(edited)

Did I hear right in the Kayla Berg episode that it took them 6 days to either report her missing or begin their search for her? God. I don't really have any idea about what transpired but that Kevin dude is suspicious, obviously. There's something up with a 24 year old dude who chauffeurs girls to parties like that. The whole case made me grateful nothing happened to me or my friends when I was younger and took some risks or trusted shady people. I'm already scared for my young kids when they hit that phase. I guess the thing to do is keep the lines of communication always open? And I can already barely sleep when they're safe in their beds. Regarding Eric's case, his mom has been posting more information that she's uncovered on the official Disappeared FB page and all signs point to Kendra's husband, including his claim that he could dump a body from a plane and that he hid assets under other family members' names in case he "went down for this." It sounds like it's been a challenge for her to get law enforcement to investigate in a timely manner. 

Edited by Wierzbowski
  • Love 2

Side eye to all the guys in their 20's hanging out with 15 year old girls and giving them weed. I agree that her parents let her run a little wild and that ended up being a mistake. I guess the cops will have to wait until he does it again.

• Love 11

24 yr olds don't purposely want to hang out with teen girls.  Or drive them around.  

I moved 5000 miles from my child who was starting college and while I don't talk to her daily I check in every other day or so and would know if she was missing from 5000 miles away w/in 2 days.  I can't imagine not being concerned about my kid for that long.  Although it did sound like each parent thought she was with the other one.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, califred said:

Although it did sound like each parent thought she was with the other one.

All the more reason to double check with the child's father to see if in fact she is there.  A pity too because it sounds like the two parents got along nicely and since the dad was suffering from cancer - the stress and aggravation surely had to have a negative impact on his comfort.

Kids.

I was confused about (ex-)boyfriend's condemned house in Wausau.  I'll assume it wasn't a hoarding situation.  Too much partying?  And he rented another house close by?

I felt there was a lot of missing information in this episode.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, theajw said:

I was confused about (ex-)boyfriend's condemned house in Wausau.  I'll assume it wasn't a hoarding situation.  Too much partying?  And he rented another house close by?

I felt there was a lot of missing information in this episode.

I wondered, too. They said it was being remodeled, so it was likely unsafe. So, he rented another place to live in the interim. I had a friend whose house was condemned like that. Toilet falling through the bathroom floor, roof with holes, etc. In his case, the damage was too severe, so it was demolished. The bf seemed to have a house that was salvageable. 

Weird that mom had no problem with the 24yo male spending so much time with her 15yo daughter, but was suspicious of a 19yo boyfriend who apparently treated her well. I wouldn't be thrilled with my 15yo having a legal adult as a bf, but the dude hanging out with teens while almost halfway to 30 would worry me more. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

How can parents let their child roam and be so clueless as to what they're doing?  I also suspect the underage partying was waaay out of hand.  As usual, Disappeared sugarcoats the truth. 

Given that Kayla's mother seemed to be making her life choices on a whim -- moving to Texas, quickly moving back to Wisconsin -- I'd say she was just operating on her own "business as usual" model when it came to supervising Kayla. What shocked me was her failure to punish Kayla for disappearing only a few weeks earlier -- and allowing her to do what she pleased, when she pleased that likely ended up in her death. The teen partying was completely out of hand -- I've no doubt Disappeared, yet again, diminished that aspect of the story. 

10 hours ago, theajw said:

My first thought was that it was condemned because it was a meth manufacturing house. But who knows. Oh, I know who knows! Disappeared -- and they just didn't fill in that detail. 

Kayla's teen friends grated. They were so super dramatic. 

13 hours ago, theajw said:

I don't have the answer but I will venture to guess that the house wasn't renovated for an update of granite and stainless steel.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:42 PM, stephinmn said:

Yeah, but that is pretty perverted if her stepdad, who had known her since she was a freaking TODDLER, killed her. 

Speaking of Stepdads and stepdaughters: If you're not already familiar with it, read up on the case of Jessica Padgett.  I'll give a little warning, though -- Her stepfather, Gregory Graf, is one perverted, vile man. 

On 5/21/2017 at 9:10 PM, Christina said:

((snip))

One of my favorite Disappeared episodes is on tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. EST, Terrance Williams was arrested by Deputy Sheriff Steve Calkins and disappeared. I won't spoil the story for anyone who hasn't seen it because it was well told in the episode. It's like the Joey Lynn Offutt case, if it's on, I must watch it.

That's one of my favorite cases, too. I don't want to spoil it, either, buy my firm opinion is

Spoiler

Deputy Steve Calkins might very well be a serial killer. He did something to BOTH of those men. I'd bet on it! He was caught in so many lies. It's sickening to me that he hasn't been held accountable in a meaningful way. I want justice for those men and their families. 

On 5/29/2017 at 1:18 AM, Surrealist said:

As a breast cancer survivor, it's a bummer about Kendra's death and that Emily had it too.

Agreed. The breadth and scope of the many lies they told points directly to both of their involvement. It could be that John killed Eric then had Kendra help cover it, or she did it on her own ... who knows. I feel very strongly that no matter which one of them did the actual killing, they both helped hide it.  It always bothers me when people die before the justice system has a chance to mete out a punishment. I know they hadn't been convicted (or even charged), but I think maybe with enough time, enough questioning, and with enough resources, it may have eventually wound up there. IMO, they are guilty. Kendra can never tell what she knew --unless she already did -- and she can never be punished. I think it's also going to make it more difficult to prosecute John. I hope Eric and his family get some justice.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:15 PM, peacockblue said:

I know I'm shallower than a wading pool, but that Sheriff that was first on the Jamison case was so hot hot hot 

Mmmppphhh!! That man is delicious. 

On 5/21/2017 at 0:13 AM, mamadrama said:

Oh hell yeah. He even has a hot name, straight out of a bodice ripper. Israel Beauchamp. 

Ha, he sure does, lol!

• Love 6
On 6/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, Scorpiosunshine said:

That's one of my favorite cases, too. I don't want to spoil it, either, buy my firm opinion is

Hide contents

Deputy Steve Calkins might very well be a serial killer. He did something to BOTH of those men. I'd bet on it! He was caught in so many lies. It's sickening to me that he hasn't been held accountable in a meaningful way. I want justice for those men and their families. 

Mmmppphhh!! That man is delicious. 

I think that deputy might even have MORE bodies buried under a swamp somewhere. I can't believe that case hasn't had more national attention, although I have read that Tyler Perry has done a lot with it. I think he's donated money or something.

And, OMG, the sherriff. Israel. What beautiful arms you have, my dear. I mean, the Jamison case is riveting to watch as it is but throw in that man candy and-wow!

On 6/6/2017 at 10:39 PM, Surrealist said:

That guy is smoking hot. Those biceps. 

As I was saying right above...wow! Every time it comes on I bring my husband into the room and point. (We have that kind of relationship.) Even my husband can't get over how hot he is. 

So, tonight's episode. I think they either took a drive off the beaten path and got into an accident in a body of water that nobody has searched yet or it's part of that car jacking ring. Of course, over on Websleuths the "pagans" are getting blamed for it. (Always "the pagans." I am a pagan and have been for 25 years. I don't know a single other pagan that would hurt a fly but, thanks to Hollywood, we all come across as killers that like to roast small children over open fires.) And some people believe that it is a hired killer by her ex husband. Seems to me that if it was a hitman, he would have waited until she was alone. Not killed two people at once. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Of course, over on Websleuths the "pagans" are getting blamed for it. (Always "the pagans." I am a pagan and have been for 25 years. I don't know a single other pagan that would hurt a fly but, thanks to Hollywood, we all come across as killers that like to roast small children over open fires.) 

Did they get around to blaming "illegals" yet? That's another go-to. The undocumented people I have known just wanted to cook in a restaurant or build a house, and send money home. Maybe have a couple of beers on the weekend. That shit makes me so angry. 

• Love 11
(edited)
17 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Of course, over on Websleuths the "pagans" are getting blamed for it.

The Pagans are a local biker gang. Perhaps that's what they mean? Or maybe you're a member of the Pagans ... I don't know!

The Imbo/Petrone disappearance is a local story for me and one, I'm glad, was actually featured on this show -- even though it was the standard Disappeared cookie-cutter episode. Loved that they dropped the "murder for hire" bombshell in there at the last second without any follow through beyond saying "murder for hire!" 

There have been rumors that Danielle's husband was the one who set up a hit on the couple. There was even a grand jury convened to gather evidence against him -- why was THAT not mentioned on this show? 

Here's a Philadelphia magazine article about the case that includes an interview with Joe Imbo, who, in my opinion, is the guilty party. There was a ton of information that ID didn't bother to include. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

The Pagans are a local biker gang. Perhaps that's what they mean? Or maybe you're a member of the Pagans ... I don't know!

The Imbo/Petrone disappearance is a local story for me and one, I'm glad, was actually featured on this show -- even though it was the standard Disappeared cookie-cutter episode. Loved that they dropped the "murder for hire" bombshell in there at the last second without any follow through beyond saying "murder for hire!" 

There have been rumors that Danielle's husband was the one who set up a hit on the couple. There was even a grand jury convened to gather evidence against him -- why was THAT not mentioned on this show? 

Here's a Philadelphia magazine article about the case that includes an interview with Joe Imbo, who, in my opinion, is the guilty party. There was a ton of information that ID didn't bother to include. 

I see! The discussion, which has since been deleted, was about the religious group. A biker gang makes more sense.

6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I'm leaning toward Joe Imbo. The fact that he and Danielle weren't having an amicable separation made me believe that he's somehow responsible. However, the show didn't mention what their marriage problems were about. I guess it's none of our business, but I feel like knowing a couple more details about why their relationship went south would help clarify something.

• Love 1

I think the murder-for-hire scenario is bullshit. They couldn't have both been the targets, because it was coincidence that they were together. If it was one or the other, the killer would have waited. 

Imbo is a real piece of shit, even if he didn't kill them. Forces her to give up what makes her happy. Fucks around on and leaves her. Then, treats her and Richard like they're doing something wrong by having a life together. The fact that he has her son makes me sick. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was thinking that Angel Garcia's friend had something to do with his disappearance. But it might be Anthony.

Or the guys in the tan SUV. What would they have wanted with him? The bike? 

I don't know. Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
On 6/5/2017 at 8:25 AM, PsychoKlown said:

Frustrating isn't it.

Although I hear it all the time at work I am still amazed how kids "don't come home at night" and mom is usually "well, she's done this before and we just thought she'd show up".  What in hell? 

I realize I'm in a different generation but danger is danger - forty years ago or four days ago.  How can parents let their child roam and be so clueless as to what they're doing?  I also suspect the underage partying was waaay out of hand.  As usual, Disappeared sugarcoats the truth.  Which in my opinion makes it all them more difficult to get the necessary information out there to the public.

I agree that this episode was sugar coated with many details left out.  I am sorry for the mom but in many ways she aggravated me.  They moved to Texas and suddenly found out the school Kayla would attend didn't have gymnastics...why didn't mom check all this out before the move?   It seemed like they weren't in Texas that long before they moved back.  They move back and don't have a place of their own, and then Kayla is out all night and that's acceptable?  Mom just told her don't go to Wausau again?  Mom seemed like didn't have enough time to parent because she had her own shit to deal with. 

• Love 11

John Glasgow was found on Petit Jean Mountain, a mile from where his car was found, in 2015.  The last articles say the cause of death is still "undetermined," but rumor around Little Rock is that he hung himself and decomposition made his body fall (his skull was found first) to where it was eventually found.

His episode aired this morning, and I had to grimly chuckle at the investigator who said, "He is *not* on this mountain." 

• Love 4
On 3/15/2017 at 0:17 AM, mamadrama said:

Jessica Heeringa, Season 7 Episode 1, has an update. Jeffrey Willis was arrested for her murder. His cousin was arrested as an accomplice. 

Just saw the episode again today. It was on my DVR. Checked out the Facebook page dedicated to Jessica. Her mom is still insisting that she's alive, and the cops planted evidence to frame Willis for her murder. Poor woman. I think she's reaching, but my heart breaks for her. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, PsychoKlown said:

Frustrating isn't it.

I think that cell,phones give parents and teens a false sense of security. I worked on a college campus for a bit. There was an app where if you became uncomfortable while walking around campus alone at night you could tap something on the app that would transmit your location and summon the police. Um. The app isn't going to put up the bat signal or call Superman. By the time that you could overcome the shock of being attacked and fumble around to open the app you could be in a trunk or dragged into the bushes already.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I think that cell,phones give parents and teens a false sense of security. I worked on a college campus for a bit. There was an app where if you became uncomfortable while walking around campus alone at night you could tap something on the app that would transmit your location and summon the police. Um. The app isn't going to put up the bat signal or call Superman. By the time that you could overcome the shock of being attacked and fumble around to open the app you could be in a trunk or dragged into the bushes already.

Exactly. I think people become overreliant on having their smartphone on hand. 

If you're jumped, you're not going to have time to call or text for help. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

This last case...Damn. Just about everyone let Deann down, from the police to the random strangers she encountered. In my state, they would have hauled her ass in for mental health problems or suspected public intoxication. Asked questions later. That might be considered a violation of freedom but if it had happened in this case, then there might not be a disappearance case at all. I think this woman is either dead somewhere (probably by accident) or is suffering from some kind of fugue state and doesn't know where or who she is. I don't think Mike is involved. This woman was clearly unstable and having some mental issues. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Wierzbowski said:

The whole case made me grateful nothing happened to me or my friends when I was younger and took some risks or trusted shady people

This. At the advanced age of 65 I find  myself looking back in horror at some of the things I did and the substances I tried and grateful to b alive

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 8

So many questions about last night's episode. I don't know a lot about being bipolar, but can things go south that fast? She was fine and having a great day, then she's buying booze and hanging out with random people she meets on the street. I know there can be substance abuse issues involved with mental illness, and I'm wondering if she was "on the wagon" and fell off.

• Love 2
On 5/20/2017 at 0:13 AM, mamadrama said:

Oh hell yeah. He even has a hot name, straight out of a bodice ripper. Israel Beauchamp. 

Honestly, he was the main reason I watched that episode so many times. That, and I found very interesting the point about the videos where the parents seemed to be in a drug-induced trance. 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

So many questions about last night's episode. I don't know a lot about being bipolar, but can things go south that fast? She was fine and having a great day, then she's buying booze and hanging out with random people she meets on the street. I know there can be substance abuse issues involved with mental illness, and I'm wondering if she was "on the wagon" and fell off.

I agree.  I was thinking the same thing.  This was about the young woman who was doing fine, having a great day and then she ran an errand to the store, but ended up abandoning her car, phone and purse to hang out with homeless people?  First of all, as the facts were presented, I started believing that there was A LOT of lying going on.  In the end, I actually didn't believe much of what was said, except for the one homeless guy who said he thought she walked to her home, since they were close by.  Not much added up.  I do have empathy for the lady, but, she seemed to be extremely irresponsible and caused her loved ones a lot of grief.  She never seemed to take her illness seriously, though, in the end it seemed that drugs and alcohol were causing her a problem. 

I do not believe the story about why she had been off her meds for 6 weeks. It was a story of how her insurance would be cancelled if she paid out of pocket for the med.  That's just not true.  Besides, they wouldn't even know, if no claim is filed.  I just found a lot of the stuff said as fake.  

Her family seemed to think that the police and others could have helped her, but they let her down.  There was nothing they could force her to do.  At the time, she was an adult and had the right to come and go as she pleased.  Even if her boyfriend/'husband/partner  had pulled up and found her, he couldn't force her to go with him.  OH, another thing.  When he got word that her card was used in the store and he didn't go there, but ,stayed with the car.......what was wrong with him?  So many odd choices that I lost track. 

I wish the woman no ill will.  I do bet she is living somewhere with some other homeless people.  At least, I hope so.  It's better than the alternative. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
(edited)

This case confused me a bit. There seemed to be a lot of people involved who had seen her, etc., but no one kept an eye on her. That said I think she likely wandered off because of her mental illness.

At first, I wondered about that storage unit and if police looked at it. I know they combed the wooded area near her house, but I don't recall whether they looked at it. 

I pondered this show after watching it. I don't know that I get a clear vibe that Deanne was murdered. I think she easily could have wandered off and got hurt and wasn't found in time or she succumbed to the elements. 

I feel sad that she wasn't able to adequately control her bipolar disorder. I hope she's found.

Slightly OT, but did any of you see a commercial for a new series starting soon called Gone? I'm guessing it's another series about the missing. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do not believe the story about why she had been off her meds for 6 weeks. It was a story of how her insurance would be cancelled if she paid out of pocket for the med.  That's just not true.  Besides, they wouldn't even know, if no claim is filed.  I just found a lot of the stuff said as fake.  

Mmmm. I don't know about that. I was in an urgent care facility awhile ago (pre-AHCA) and heard the receptionist tell a patient that their insurance didn't cover urgent care and that if they decided to go through with the visit, the insurance would cancel their coverage! The fuck is that shit, I thought. I guess the urgent care would have to "report" the visit? I don't know. But I had no problem believing that Deann's insurance company refused to cover her meds and and that, if she went against their wishes, they'd cancel her. Sometimes I feel like I should make doctor's appointments with my insurance company since they seem to think they know what's in my best interest more than my personal physician. 

And, *everyone* in this episode was shady -- save for Deann's mother and her girlfriend. Why would the fiance not turn over the phone or the note? I'm not buying that he wouldn't be able to salvage the photos from it. 

And Jesus! Can't ID get anything right? The person with whom the fiance talked to in the parking lot of the grocery store was male -- as evidenced by the pronoun choice of "he" to describe the person. However, the "actor" they hired to portray the person was clearly a woman. 

(edited)

The missing lady's family seemed odd too.  Recall her brother returned a phone call to a witness who had been with his sister the last time she is seen.  HE ADMITS that he verbally attacked the guy.  WTH!  Why would you verbally attack a person who is volunteering information about your missing sister?  Made no sense.  Then, the other guy.  I'm not sure if he was the husband or boyfriend of the missing lady.  He refuses to turn over the note that he claims she left him.  He won't turn over the phone either.....I get that he is distrustful of cops, but, come on.....there must be some kind of bad blood there.  To me, if there is a note that someone is going to run an errand and will be back soon, you don't don't wait days to report them missing, EVEN if they have disappeared before.  Plus, her car with her belongings was abandoned......who would not report that?  Then, he moves it without it being processed?  So odd.  I'm not sure what to make of it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe