Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Kandi & Brandi

• Start Topic

I think these two are among Dr. Now's most successful patients. It did seem interesting that whenever they had a weigh in, they both lost nearly the exact same amount of weight. But I guess having a buddy right there to keep you accountable is key to their success. 

I'm not going to judge Brandi's unplanned pregnancy, I've seen it so many times . Birth control often just fails. I assume she could have chosen an abortion but decided to keep the baby. 

I liked the way Dr. Now interacted with them, too. He seemed geniunely fond of them and concerned about how they were doing. They didn't use excuses or give him a hard time, unlike so many others we've seen recently. I wish them the very best. 

• Love 18
11 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

There is also the possibility that the father did not want to be featured on the show.  M600LL always leaves so many holes in the stories told.  They often "forget" to tell us about people's jobs (many of the people they presented as not working do actually work), about relationships beyond active enablers, about community work or other things that people do, etc.  There were too many open questions on this one.  Maybe she did get pregnant from a random hook up; maybe she was dating someone longer than that.  We won't know from the show.  

That's what I was wondering the whole time.  Do they have jobs?  What do they do all day?  When they talked about "getting out more" and "meeting people" to date I wanted to know where they were going and what they were doing to meet these people and get dates with them?

• Love 4

Didn’t the grandma fund the trip to Houston?

i watched a second time and again it was so noticeable to me that these two women kept their apartment so neat and clean. The bed was always made and they had sheets and pillow cases. 

Even the dog was paid attention to and not just part of the furniture.

• Love 14
(edited)
21 hours ago, Jen Marie said:

Being filmed for a reality show, approved for skin removal surgery, and going out and having sex without using protection. What a dumbass. Another fatherless child.

To be fair, she never said they did or did not use protection. My assumption is that she didn't, but who the hell knows - maybe she did and it broke or wasn't put on correctly. 

I had this awful feeling when she was talking about "dating" it really meant something dumb like Tinder hookups. That said, I've been married since 1997 and been with this man since 1995, so I have zero clues about internet dating. But aren't there some that are purely for sex/hookups? I hate to say it, but I imagine a woman who had repeated issues with sexual abuse as a child, who didn't care enough about herself that she was 600 lbs and is only now starting to take care of herself might have some screwed up ideas about sex, dating and self esteem. I'm not condoning it, but from a psychological standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.

I can only hope that as the twins continue waking up to being healthier and happier that they also develop some sense of independence from one another. I kept thinking to myself as Kandi lamented about it "being too soon" to do things like not live together, date/not date, etc., - honestly, you're going on 30. When will it be time to be your own person?

I wish them well. Glad to see people who take the process seriously and understand that they are responsible for their own bodies. 

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 16

If you look at Brandi's facebook page, since last summer she has a steady boyfriend.   I fell asleep before the pregnancy news so I will have to go back and rewatch.

11 hours ago, magemaud said:

OMG, I never noticed this before. As Kandi and Brandi were pulling out of the parking lot at Dr. Now’s, there was a sign with the list of businesses in the strip mall. Dr. Now’s office was at the top of the sign and directly under his name was a sign for “The Lice Place”. You can go for weight loss and head lice treatments in one stop! Oh, and the Chinese Buffet, too! 

Not sure I could eat at a buffet that's next to "The Lice Place"...? 

10 hours ago, princelina said:

That's what I was wondering the whole time.  Do they have jobs?  What do they do all day?  When they talked about "getting out more" and "meeting people" to date I wanted to know where they were going and what they were doing to meet these people and get dates with them?

I was guessing online (partly because when she first mentioned she'd been dating, she was sitting on the couch playing with her phone).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Lunula said:

I had this awful feeling when she was talking about "dating" it really meant something dumb like Tinder hookups. That said, I've been married since 1997 and been with this man since 1995, so I have zero clues about internet dating. But aren't there some that are purely for sex/hookups? I hate to say it, but I imagine a woman who had repeated issues with sexual abuse as a child, who didn't care enough about herself that she was 600 lbs and is only now starting to take care of herself might have some screwed up ideas about sex, dating and self esteem. I'm not condoning it, but from a psychological standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.

I had the same feeling about this.  I'm guessing she never had a boyfriend before, didn't know how to interact with men--other than her stepbrother, I don't think we saw her interact with any males--well, and Dr. Now--and with a history of sexual abuse, she probably has never felt comfortable getting close, even as a friend, with a man.  It reminded me of my college, which was all-female and mostly girls who had gone to all-girl private schools.  They had never really known boys as friends and classmates, and many of them (I went to a crappy public high school and had lots of guy friends) went a little crazy sexually freshman year.

• Love 3

I couldn't get much past the baggy t-shirts.  What the heck, girls?   They are still in the honeymoon phase of bariatric  surgery  weight loss ,  and like Melissa,  I'm sure they will settle down and gain some back.   Which is ok of course.   On the live chat someone said the BF was Nigerian.   I hope both girls are cautious with their love lives.   They seem really vulnerable.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Snarkastikate said:

I couldn't get much past the baggy t-shirts.  What the heck, girls?   They are still in the honeymoon phase of bariatric  surgery  weight loss ,  and like Melissa,  I'm sure they will settle down and gain some back.   Which is ok of course.   On the live chat someone said the BF was Nigerian.   I hope both girls are cautious with their love lives.   They seem really vulnerable.

I have a friend who was sexually abused for years by her dad. We are now in our 60s and she pretty much always wears flannel shirts and jeans. And she has been happily married for many years to a lovely man, but she just does not want any other attention. 

• Love 6
On 25/05/2018 at 12:17 AM, magemaud said:

OMG, I never noticed this before. As Kandi and Brandi were pulling out of the parking lot at Dr. Now’s, there was a sign with the list of businesses in the strip mall. Dr. Now’s office was at the top of the sign and directly under his name was a sign for “The Lice Place”. You can go for weight loss and head lice treatments in one stop! Oh, and the Chinese Buffet, too! 

I fell into the rabbit hole and googled The Lice Place, Houston -- there are reviews.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ThinkerBell said:

I fell into the rabbit hole and googled The Lice Place, Houston -- there are reviews.

I hope you realize, @ThinkerBell, that unless you did an "in private "search, amazon and all the advertisers think you have lice, and you'll likely be followed by ads for lice treatments.
This is where I again, evilly, suggested you never search for perfect smile, but with caps.  (It was an intriguing ad on cable, and I searched on amazon.)

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

It's not a mystery. It's a franchise that removes lice from hair via combing and no chemicals.  Given the epidemic of "super lice" in schools, this is a valuable service and there's nothing icky about it. If you have a child who comes home saying "my head itches," you'd be glad if you lived near one. One visit, lice are gone, period. There are many similar services around here, such as The Fairy Licemother and MadCaps. This has come up before and I still can't figure out why people think think it's such a foreign novelty. It's a franchise that helps people with a problem that anyone can acquire through no fault of their own.

• Love 11

What a difference this episode was from the last. The girls were always smiling. 2 things-

1.No real opinion on the pegnancy except wow! And it is possible  not gain a ton of weight (looking at you Bettie Jo) if you do it like Brandi

2. Did Brandi have a big hickey on her neck? (Left side) Anyone notice in the car ride to WA (around the time they stepped out  with the dogs to take pics)? About 25 mins into the show

Ugh, the pregnant one's Facebook page.  She's going the route of Schenee and drinking the "religion kool-aid" with that new guy she's hooked up with.  Apparently they work at Walmart now.

This show sure gives insight into some crazy lives.  I guess that's why it's so addicting, as maddening as it is.

That poor baby, though.  

• Love 3

Oh man, here we go. I knew it.  THEY HAVE A GOFUNDME!  What is it with these 600-pounders?  They support and money they get from TLC is not enough?  They think their reality-tv fame entitles them to other peoples' hard-earned money?  Makes me so mad!!!!

• Love 6

I couldn’t figure out if Brandi got pregnant when they spent a month in Washington or when they got back to Houston. The boyfriend is from Washington but it is unclear if he is the baby daddy. I have spent way too much time thinking about the twins. I need an update. 

On 5/26/2018 at 1:08 PM, Trees said:

Ugh, the pregnant one's Facebook page.  She's going the route of Schenee and drinking the "religion kool-aid" with that new guy she's hooked up with.  Apparently they work at Walmart now.

This show sure gives insight into some crazy lives.  I guess that's why it's so addicting, as maddening as it is.

That poor baby, though.  

I think they worked at Walmart before. I think I read that on one of these threads.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, Trees said:

That poor baby, though.  

"Religion Kool-Aid?" Perhaps she was a follower of Christ most of her life. Some people are. Some intelligent, educated people.

• Love 8
On 5/24/2018 at 12:46 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The green shag carpeting at the brother's house was that weird combo of wonderful and horrifying.  That was so bright.

I had to rewind that scene because I thought "Do they have grass in their living room?"

On 5/24/2018 at 1:42 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Cant tell if he is the Babydaddy but if so, I have a lot of questions about the circs. 

Someone posted a message on her FB asking if that guy was the father and another person answered no, but said he was stepping up to be a father to the baby.

I did not see the original of this show. Just this updated version. One thing that always makes me wonder is when they are going on about having a visit with Dr. Now soon and they hope they have met their weight loss goal. Don't these people have a scale at home? Do store bought scales have weight limits on them? They probably do but if I was two weeks out from a visit with the Dr. I'd find some place to weigh myself so I'd know if I need to step it up to meet the goal.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I had to rewind that scene because I thought "Do they have grass in their living room?"

Someone posted a message on her FB asking if that guy was the father and another person answered no, but said he was stepping up to be a father to the baby.

I did not see the original of this show. Just this updated version. One thing that always makes me wonder is when they are going on about having a visit with Dr. Now soon and they hope they have met their weight loss goal. Don't these people have a scale at home? Do store bought scales have weight limits on them? They probably do but if I was two weeks out from a visit with the Dr. I'd find some place to weigh myself so I'd know if I need to step it up to meet the goal.

Most scales for home use have a weight limit of 350 pounds. Still you'd think that once you're under 350, you'd buy a home scale. 

• Love 3

I wonder about the home scales too.  

I'm guessing it's because they've never weighed themselves, like literally.  So it's not something they'd think to buy.  Like, it's something they do at the doctor's office.

Plus, they are probably scared if they show a weight gain (which can sometimes happen while losing), that it will completely derail their efforts, and it probably would.  It wouldn't surprise me if Dr. Now & staff tells them to just weigh when they come into the office, so their progress and emotions can be professionally monitored.

• Love 2
On 5/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, Snarkastikate said:

It seemed like part of the reason they continued to dress like that was the Xtra skin hanging down . When Dr Now had kandi?brandi? show her stomach he said there was double digit lbs of skin. I’d bet that would only feel comfortable (and probably she felt she had to hide it ) tucked into sweat pants and covered by baggy tee shirts . I liked these two gals and i hope they have terrific lives ! 

• Love 4

It's on Brandi's fb that she had a little girl, and she updated her profile picture with the baby in the first of July, so I guess she was born in June.  I'm so happy for her, and hope her journey continues, and she keeps enjoying her new life.     I bet Kandi is enjoying her new niece.      

• Love 2
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It's on Brandi's fb that she had a little girl, and she updated her profile picture with the baby in the first of July, so I guess she was born in June.  I'm so happy for her, and hope her journey continues, and she keeps enjoying her new life.     I bet Kandi is enjoying her new niece.      

How nice. Glad momma and baby are doing well. 

• Love 1
On 10/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Yes she has a beautiful family. I’m so glad for her. 

Same here. So often these people lead such isolated lives and still have operations and hard work after the surgery, you wonder if they will ever experience normalcy. Good on her for being a true success story.

• Love 4