Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: A Frittered Friendship

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, coops said:

I noticed that when Dorinda announced her "rules" she didn't say anything about no screaming or cat fighting. She knows full well getting all the women together at the Berkshires every year will guarantee drama and the fact she hosts that get together every year will always earn her a place on the cast for future seasons. Most women have to wait their turn to be hostess on one of the trips but Dorinda has ensured she gets a turn as a hostess each year without fail. Very smart. That's not what earns her a place on the cast for me though, it's the drunken "CLIP! CLIP! CLIP!" or "I made it NICE!" and "how am I doing? NOT WELL, BITCH!" 

I've been watching older seasons courtesy of Hulu, and she says that a lot...and I giggle every time she does!  

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mariareads said:

She lived with Adam and could not wait to get rid of him. Does this not give any of you an idea of what was going on?

Sounds like a cougar getting her groove on to me. If he got a place to stay and a few vacations out of it who cares? If she can afford the extra airfare, what's the big deal?

She's closed up emotionally 

Her husband and two of her close friends died tragically. I would say she has every reason to be a little emotionally aloof.

Riding on bicycle handlebars as if she was in a movie. 

I'm really not clear why her riding on handlebars makes these boards so crazy. If she'd broken a hip I guess I'd say "you should've known better" but honestly I don't see this as proof of anything but someone willing to do something nutty to impress their new love interest and have a good time.

She brings nothing except ugly clothes and this haughty disinterest in life in general. 

I think because the things that excite the other women don't excite Carole, she comes across as haughty. She doesn't act like a schoolgirl around men. She was unimpressed by Luann's title and appalled at Lu's use of it. She's been around very wealthy people for most of her adult life so the Housewives wealth doesn't impress her. She's a girl from the midwest who can't fathom people doing the most for reality TV fame. 

I'm not a fan of Carole's but I don't see the scheming, haughty harpy others see.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Mariareads said:

Let me wrap this up. Carole is a boring, self centered, haughty woman. People call Sonja "grey gardens" but Carole is more Grey Gardens than anyone. She dresses like a 20 something hipster-which is not a good look. She is never pulled together. She lived with Adam and could not wait to get rid of him. Does this not give any of you an idea of what was going on? He was mooching off of her. She was paying for everything. All of this screams Sex and the City and it's so old and tired and over! I am no big fan of B's so I don't have any big interest in one over the other in this battle, but Carole has turned me off for years. She's closed up emotionally and seems to see herself as some major player on RHONY. She's the least interesting. Adam was her story for a bit. Riding on bicycle handlebars as if she was in a movie. For God's sake she picked him up in Lu's kitchen! And he's not good looking or desirable financially or ambitious! Face it, Carole needed a story line this season and now she has one. Fight with B. OH YAWN. Even that makes her a bore. The journalist story is old and in the past. The novelist, obviously, is not her thing because she has no discipline and it is very questionable that there was ever another book deal because Carole didn't know about DEADLINES? Oh, come on! Maybe Aviva was right about Carole all along! Maybe there was a ghost writer-which served as another story line for Carole on yet another season. I would not miss Carole if she was gone. She brings nothing except ugly clothes and this haughty disinterest in life in general. She's a complete bore. 

I think Carole is less confrontational and more introverted than these other ladies, she prefers to make snide comments behind your back and in her TH than to confront someone. However, when necessary, she seems able to hold her own. 

I see some similarities between her and Cynthia from RHOA, although I think Cynthia, while mild-mannered, is more extroverted than Carole, so she has no problem engaging and being social at events, but they have a similar passive-aggressive style when it comes to confrontation. They’re also similar in that they both tend to latch onto bigger personalities and become BFF with them.

Theyre both the types of people that you can always count on to be civil and cordial, tho. And neither of them will go out of their way to hurt you. They’ll fight back if you come for them, but they’re not gonna go out of their way to try to get you fired, or out something extremely personal or embarrassing for you. 

• Love 8

I think it' very sad that Carole lost her husband in 1999 and also lost two close friends in a very short period of time. It's also been close to twenty years so of she's emotionally aloof because of this, she may want to see a therapist. 

Personally, I think she's just a bit closed off emotionally. I doubt the tragedies helped... but honestly, she's hardly the grieving widow dressed in black who visits the grave of her husband and two friends daily, droppig black roses etc etc.

For someone who professes to be above the silliness, Carole just sometimes seems really into it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mariareads said:

Let me wrap this up. Carole is a boring, self centered, haughty woman. People call Sonja "grey gardens" but Carole is more Grey Gardens than anyone. She dresses like a 20 something hipster-which is not a good look. She is never pulled together. She lived with Adam and could not wait to get rid of him. Does this not give any of you an idea of what was going on? He was mooching off of her. She was paying for everything. All of this screams Sex and the City and it's so old and tired and over! I am no big fan of B's so I don't have any big interest in one over the other in this battle, but Carole has turned me off for years. She's closed up emotionally and seems to see herself as some major player on RHONY. She's the least interesting. Adam was her story for a bit. Riding on bicycle handlebars as if she was in a movie. For God's sake she picked him up in Lu's kitchen! And he's not good looking or desirable financially or ambitious! Face it, Carole needed a story line this season and now she has one. Fight with B. OH YAWN. Even that makes her a bore. The journalist story is old and in the past. The novelist, obviously, is not her thing because she has no discipline and it is very questionable that there was ever another book deal because Carole didn't know about DEADLINES? Oh, come on! Maybe Aviva was right about Carole all along! Maybe there was a ghost writer-which served as another story line for Carole on yet another season. I would not miss Carole if she was gone. She brings nothing except ugly clothes and this haughty disinterest in life in general. She's a complete bore. 

I liked her so much at the beginning...I think I just liked her on paper.  She wore gowns with bare feet, was stringing along a bona fide ROCK STAR for heavens' sake, and I thought her first book just sounded so lyrical. (full disclosure:  I've only read excerpts here or there.)

Then...I don't know, it's like that line in the Joseph Arthur song "In The Sun"  "when you showed me myself, I became someone else..."

It was like she was trying so hard to be Cool Carole that she was up her own ass, which is where she's remained since.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, teapot said:

I liked her so much at the beginning...I think I just liked her on paper.  She wore gowns with bare feet, was stringing along a bona fide ROCK STAR for heavens' sake, and I thought her first book just sounded so lyrical. (full disclosure:  I've only read excerpts here or there.)

Then...I don't know, it's like that line in the Joseph Arthur song "In The Sun"  "when you showed me myself, I became someone else..."

It was like she was trying so hard to be Cool Carole that she was up her own ass, which is where she's remained since.

YES!! You've summed her up perfectly! 

• Love 4

I like Carole but went off her after she and Bethenny started to play mean girls, most notably when they visited Jules' house and started whispering about her eating disorder and running off giggling without even saying goodbye. Rude. There was a certain way that Heather and Carole used to laugh at the other women which wasn't done in a mean or bitch way but when she and Bethenny did the same thing it came off as quite cruel. I also could kind of see Luanne's point about being annoyed when Carole starting dating Adam simply for the fact she met Adam in Luanne's home and Adam was Luanne's niece's ex. Of course, Luanne got all petty and spiteful all over twitter and ended up coming off looking far worse (Lu ever fails to prove the lyrics to her song "money can't buy you class" is oh so true,) but I'm sure it all stemmed from the fact she never expected one of her girlfriend's to start hitting on her niece's former partner after introducing them. But, hey, no one's perfect. One thing I do admire in Carole is she can distance herself from all the drama and screeching without being a wallflower of walkover like poor Jules, even if it sometimes does come off as aloof.

• Love 9
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I think it' very sad that Carole lost her husband in 1999 and also lost two close friends in a very short period of time. It's also been close to twenty years so of she's emotionally aloof because of this, she may want to see a therapist. 

Where is the handbook that dictates the appropriate amount of time to mourn people you expect to grow old with? It's not as though she's stopped making friends or having relationships, she's just not going to open herself up to a bunch of harpies. Judging by Bethenny's actions lately, she's right to hold people at arms length.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Dorinda should be given a Silver Spoon Award for being the Shit Stirring Extraordinaire across all franchises.  She just does it so openly and gleefully.  I think that's why she continues to host the Berserkshires trips, so she can get the dirt on all of the women in one setting for ammunition later.  She couldn't wait to get that murder mystery over with and sit down at the table so she could set off the fireworks vis a vis Bethanny and Carole.  

Well, she actually does it across franchises too. She's the same woman who lets her friends denigrate John to her face, but hangs out with the felonious ignoramus, Teresa Giudice. She seems to pick some of the weirdest most polarizing Bravolebrities to hang with in her down time like Teresa, Melissa Gorga, Jeff Lewis, and Stanbury (if Luann looked awkward hanging with her children in season 1, Stanbury looks like she's barely met her children). It's possible she's legitimately friends with these people, but I half believe she hangs with them just to be messy. I know that Dorinda's friendship was weirdly alluded to in that season when Teresa was released from prison.

Going back to Dorinda's first season, it's so clear that her drinking and hair trigger were already a thing back then, but we just didn't know what caused her outbursts. Housewives usually become more comfortable with the cameras and less reserved the longer they are on the show. Knowing what we know now, it's a bit horrifying to think that was the reserved buttoned up Dorinda who had her shit together.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, coops said:

I'm sure it all stemmed from the fact she never expected one of her girlfriend's to start hitting on her niece's former partner after introducing them. But, hey, no one's perfect. 

True, and I'm sure the woman who was on a date with Tom never expected him to sneak off with Luann when they met at the bar.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

True, and I'm sure the woman who was on a date with Tom never expected him to sneak off with Luann when they met at the bar.

And despite this, for some reason, Luanne never expected her marriage to Tom would implode in seven months. But given how he treats women, she should have. She really, really should have.

• Love 8

Where is the handbook that dictates the appropriate amount of time to mourn people you expect to grow old with? It's not as though she's stopped making friends or having relationships, she's just not going to open herself up to a bunch of harpies

In fairness, you're the one who is suggesting that she is emotionally closed off *because* she lost three people seventeen years ago and not because she's just emotionally closed off. If that's really the problem, I just think therapy might help her. In no way did I say "Carole is inappropriately mourning her husband and her two famous friends" - I merely said if thats really why she's so cool towards relationships, then she might want to consider it.

Personally tho - and I did say this as well - I think she's just emotionally cool. She certainly doesn't seem to be grieving and thats also not an insult.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, ghoulina said:

I don't think Dorinda knew ahead of time that she was the killer. I think she deduced it, by paying attention to various clues. I was disappointed that it ended so quickly, though. 

I'm a bit behind because I don't like my two favorites turning on each other.  

I've been to one murder mystery, not nearly as pricey of course, and when the characters are assigned you are told if you are the killer.  I was not, to my regret.

What was with that bizarre room Lu and Sonja were assigned to?  Two large beds wedged together which would require climbing over your partner's bed to reach a bathroom.  And then a Maco shark and some large fish hanging on the wall?   I've been to motels that were decorated and arranged better.  Didn't the ladies all have private rooms in the past?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I'm a bit behind because I don't like my two favorites turning on each other.  

I've been to one murder mystery, not nearly as pricey of course, and when the characters are assigned you are told if you are the killer.  I was not, to my regret.

What was with that bizarre room Lu and Sonja were assigned to?  Two large beds wedged together which would require climbing over your partner's bed to reach a bathroom.  And then a Maco shark and some large fish hanging on the wall?   I've been to motels that were decorated and arranged better.  Didn't the ladies all have private rooms in the past?

The bed closest to the door was a pull out couch.

• Love 4

Forgive me, I dozed off during this episode and don’t want to read through 17 pages because I doubt anyone even posted about this. I’m more interested in the murder mystery game than all of the drama and fighting. Did we even find out who the murderer was? Were the fritters poisoned??

• Love 1

They never really got into any of the clues for the mystery but basically, Dorinda as the drunk promotor of temperance murdered the head guy because he was gonna ruin her. It was the wine that was poisoned, not the fritters, and the assistant was murdered on accident because like an asshole, he drank his master's wine. Or something like that - we really got no clues other than Ramona's "He said he hated you!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Forgive me, I dozed off during this episode and don’t want to read through 17 pages because I doubt anyone even posted about this. I’m more interested in the murder mystery game than all of the drama and fighting. Did we even find out who the murderer was? Were the fritters poisoned??

It's too bad you missed that portion of the episode and our posts because Dorinda out of nowhere revealed that she was the murderer because she wanted to get down to eating and housewives yelling at each other.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It's too bad you missed that portion of the episode and our posts because Dorinda out of nowhere revealed that she was the murderer because she wanted to get down to eating and housewives yelling at each other.

3 hours ago, Rap541 said:

They never really got into any of the clues for the mystery but basically, Dorinda as the drunk promotor of temperance murdered the head guy because he was gonna ruin her. It was the wine that was poisoned, not the fritters, and the assistant was murdered on accident because like an asshole, he drank his master's wine. Or something like that - we really got no clues other than Ramona's "He said he hated you!"

Hahaha. Thanks! You’ve convinced me to watch the part I missed and read all 17 pages. :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh. I misunderstood. I thought that the assistant killed the owner of Blue Stone Manor. Because, as Ramona let everyone know, he hates the owner. Dorinda killed the assistant because she needs the owner alive in order to get Prohibition passed?

But yes, Dorinda confessed because she was either really hungry or wanted to stir the B/C pot. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Oh. I misunderstood. I thought that the assistant killed the owner of Blue Stone Manor. Because, as Ramona let everyone know, he hates the owner. Dorinda killed the assistant because she needs the owner alive in order to get Prohibition passed?

No.  I thought you watched.  Dorinda killed the assistant because she wanted to eat.

?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Interesting how they show Lu leaving the table twice. I wonder how many times she actually left. 

I noticed that as well. It reminded me of Kim Richards and her frequent bathroom trips.  

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

I’m sorry what? When something is offered by a friend has a gift unless otherwise stipulated should In no way have an obligation of some kind of return that’s not how gifts and friendship works you don’t offer something to expect something back. That’s a loan not a gift. No matter if you have a billion dollars or ten dollars. And at the time Carole thought they were friends and I’m assuming (cause I wasn’t there) that’s why she accepted it not thinking their would be strings attached 

One-sided giving, with me always giving and someone always taking, gets to be quite tedious. I would hate to be thought of as a mooch, and always go out of my way to reciprocate in some way. It’s the unspoken agreement, the decent thing to do, and the way I was raised. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 7

I watched some of season 9, episode 1 last night. Beth discusses John M. waiting until Dorinda is in another room to ask Beth for her contact information so that he can talk to her about a business opportunity or proposition. That did not sit well with Beth. She believes that he should go through Dorinda. She implies that John was being sneaky. It’s not exactly the same but similar to Beth’s team contacting Adam directly, instead of mentioning it to Carole. I do acknowledge that Beth never vacationed with Dorinda and John, but she did hang out with them over the summer/non-filming months. 

• Love 9

rewatching the season ahead of the new one, up to this episode. Carole is just as insufferable as the first time around watching it - sometimes when rewatching months later you see things differently - but when it comes to Carole, my first impression of how she behaved her last season remains. She became insufferable. Guess her plan to go after Bethenny failed miserably. Meh - I won't miss her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

rewatching the season ahead of the new one, up to this episode. Carole is just as insufferable as the first time around watching it - sometimes when rewatching months later you see things differently - but when it comes to Carole, my first impression of how she behaved her last season remains. She became insufferable. Guess her plan to go after Bethenny failed miserably. Meh - I won't miss her.

Not only won't I miss Carole, I'll be celebrating her absence.   

• Love 2