Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

S09.E07: Barefoot & Fancy

Recommended Posts

I only watched the reveals and didn't care for either one. I LOVED the fireplace in Gen's room and that was it. Her laugh grates.

I expected a nicer/better room from John. That room was ridiculously small and it looked even smaller with the dark paint, furnishings and accessories. $2000 is a lot of money for such a small room. Sadly, it looked like it was done for less than $200.

Share this post


Link to post

I felt like the wallpaper was supposed to blend with the colors in the stone work, but it didn't.  Maybe it had a different tone to it than the stones did.  Nevertheless, the finished room just did not look cohesive to me primarily due to the wallpaper not creating a cohesive look with the stone work.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I felt like the wallpaper was supposed to blend with the colors in the stone work, but it didn't.  Maybe it had a different tone to it than the stones did.  Nevertheless, the finished room just did not look cohesive to me primarily due to the wallpaper not creating a cohesive look with the stone work.  

There needed to be a transition from the wallpaper to the stone. They are conflicting patterns, for me. There needed to be a blank buffer between them, like some kind of molding, though not sure that would have looked nice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Last night, I dreamed that I rearranged the small gray room, moving the couch/futon to the opposite wall. That's how badly it bothered me!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed another episode where the designers actually tried to do a good job.  Homeowners seemed cool too.  We need some new rules for the show, though:

1) You absolutely cannot steal from the rest of the house. Not only is it a dick move to the homeowners that could potentially cost them lots of money, it's also against the spirit of the rules. Cut it out.

2) No more 100-year-old reclaimed wood. WTF.

3) No one may ever say the word "fooshball" again. I wanted to jump out of a moving car like the guy in the "ahmond" commercial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

1) You absolutely cannot steal from the rest of the house. Not only is it a dick move to the homeowners that could potentially cost them lots of money, it's also against the spirit of the rules. Cut it out.

I don't mind a bit of stealing but big pieces are always risky because it does leave a big hole that has to be filled elsewhere. Certainly things where they take parts of sectionals or half of a set of something is totally out of line. You've now got $2000.00. Go to IKEA and buy something.

That being said I remember a Kia room (ugly as sin of course) where she took knick knacks to help fill some of the flat spaces and that doesn't bother me. Same with moving a mirror or a piece of art. Anything that doesn't impact the functionality of the room is okay but actual pieces of furniture seem wrong

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

3) No one may ever say the word "fooshball" again. I wanted to jump out of a moving car like the guy in the "ahmond" commercial.

Ha ha ha ha!  I was right there with you.  

13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Last night, I dreamed that I rearranged the small gray room, moving the couch/futon to the opposite wall. That's how badly it bothered me!

Bugged me, too.  If you look at the video Paige posted on FB showing different views of the room you could see that was impossible.  What was nuts is to request that be a guest room.  HOs should have stuck with a craft room and she would have ended up with a very cool little room where she could actually make some things. 

19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

There needed to be a transition from the wallpaper to the stone. They are conflicting patterns, for me. There needed to be a blank buffer between them, like some kind of molding, though not sure that would have looked nice.

Yes, this was a flaw and could have been avoided as you suggest.  I look at the reveals several times and pause to get a closer look.  This paired with Paige's 360 degree views, I really like that basement where on first look I thought is was just okay.  It really was pretty damn good.  The wall paper made that huge space feel pulled together and inviting.  The blue touches were perfect but didn't get that the first time I saw it.  

32 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

I enjoyed another episode where the designers actually tried to do a good job. 

1) You absolutely cannot steal from the rest of the house. Not only is it a dick move to the homeowners that could potentially cost them lots of money, it's also against the spirit of the rules. Cut it out.

2) No more 100-year-old reclaimed wood. WTF.

 

It is fair for the designers to use what the HOs have on hand unless they have said not to.   I might buy them some supplies so I was guaranteed a better room!  

As for stealing from the rest of the house, those items can  easily be put back.  I am pretty sure the HOs know that can happen.  It has been done so many times that even if you have only seen a handful of shows you know they do it. 

For me, the spirit of the show is to create a good room anyway you can within the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't mind a bit of stealing but big pieces are always risky because it does leave a big hole that has to be filled elsewhere.

Yes, it leaves the HO stuck either buying something to replace the item in the old room, or buying something to replace the item in the new room. Either way, they are going to have to fill in a whole. A good designer could figure out another way. Smaller, decorative pieces, however, sure, it's a lot easier to replace a framed photo or just leave a blank space than a sofa or table.

I actually liked both instances of using the old wood. I love old wood. I also like the personalization that brings to the room. So long as it has been agreed to before hand, that said wood is going to be altered. But if the homeowner didn't want it used they should put it on the do not touch list and hope they don't get Hildi would would probably run it through a wood chipper and glue it all to the floor in some kind of "barn chic" concept.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, sarthaz said:

I enjoyed another episode where the designers actually tried to do a good job.  Homeowners seemed cool too.  We need some new rules for the show, though:

1) You absolutely cannot steal from the rest of the house. Not only is it a dick move to the homeowners that could potentially cost them lots of money, it's also against the spirit of the rules. Cut it out.

 

They used to do it all the time on the original. That's why people had to mark stuff off limits even when it wasn't in the room.  But with 2K, and the Wayfair/Overstock tent, and their own carpenter, there should be less need.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, ams1001 said:

I just looked at TV Guide's website, and it lists a new episode at 8:00-8:21 called "Training Spaces: Teach Me How to Dougie," and then a rerun of the season premiere, then another new episode at 9:31-9:53 called "Training Spaces: Do It Your-Shelf."

I thought against making a new thread for just these mini-episodes, but did anyone watch them? Are they worth it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched them.  They were mercifully short.  The premise was that original cast members were "teaching" the new people how to be creative under pressure - which made me wonder why they were showing those bits at the end of the season instead of first.  Doug was the point person for the new designers and Carter and TY did the same with the two new carpenters.  Paige was all over both episodes being obnoxious and getting in their way.  You didn't miss anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, mlp said:

I watched them.  They were mercifully short.  The premise was that original cast members were "teaching" the new people how to be creative under pressure - which made me wonder why they were showing those bits at the end of the season instead of first.  Doug was the point person for the new designers and Carter and TY did the same with the two new carpenters.  Paige was all over both episodes being obnoxious and getting in their way.  You didn't miss anything.

I watched, too, and I had the same thought. "We're gonna have a little workshop so these new people know what they're getting in to"...when there's one episode left and we've already seen the carpenters several times and the new designers once? I don't know that they really need their own thread (though I did look to see if there was one).

Also, I didn't like either of the shelves, but the ottoman/seat/dog bed thing was cute.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I watched them.  They were mercifully short.  The premise was that original cast members were "teaching" the new people how to be creative under pressure - which made me wonder why they were showing those bits at the end of the season instead of first.  Doug was the point person for the new designers and Carter and TY did the same with the two new carpenters.  Paige was all over both episodes being obnoxious and getting in their way.  You didn't miss anything.

Shouldn't they have known whether or not these new designers and/or carpenters can be creative under pressure before they hired them? We haven't seen the third new designer yet but Sabrina and John don't show signs or potential of being a Hildi, thank goodness. One of those is enough. As for Ty and Carter - I hope we see more of them next season and it's not only Brett and Joanie.

I really thought Doug and Hildi would have grown up/mellowed/matured over the years. Doug's first room was decent enough but Hildi is a woeful 0-for-2. 

ETA after watching the episodes in regard to @ams1001 comment: Sabrina and John seemed cool like they did on their debut episodes but Kahi didn't make a good first impression. It was like she was being competitive for the sake of being competitive and enjoyed sucking up to Doug and being his "favorite."

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Sabrina and John seemed cool like they did on their debut episodes but Kahi didn't make a good first impression. It was like she was being competitive for the sake of being competitive and enjoyed sucking up to Doug and being his "favorite."

 

I agree that Kahi did not make a good impression. I was underwhelmed that she took a box and made a box out of it. And her paint job was crap.

How can next week be the finale when we have not even seen everyone yet? I guess they started with a short season to see if anyone would watch?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I agree that Kahi did not make a good impression. I was underwhelmed that she took a box and made a box out of it. And her paint job was crap.

How can next week be the finale when we have not even seen everyone yet? I guess they started with a short season to see if anyone would watch?

I started a separate thread for the webisodes if anyone cares enough to discuss them all there. 

Yeah, I'm not sure why this season was designed the way it was. If it was always going to be only six or seven episodes long why did we only get Vern and Laurie once each and no Frank at all? Why did we waste time on guest designers like Clinton and even Nate/Jeremiah and why did we only get Ty and Carter as carpenters for the first show? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

After thinking about it for a while, I think that when the homeowners choose a basement that is HUGE, that they should expect the designer to get furniture from the other rooms.  Those basements are unbelievable projects for only 2 days and $2000.  I think it's a bit unrealistic to choose such overwhelming rooms and expect a truly transformed space which the designers have really tried to do.  I agree with others that homeowners may be choosing their basements so that they don't have to see them/be in them on a daily basis if they are disasters after the show.  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size