Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E04: Finale

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

That Freestyle has Mark Kanemura written all over it. I wonder if Jenna had some help from him with the choreography.

I think this guy had something to do with it based on his comment. Anyone know him? 

I wish they had done something else for the freestyle that would have left a better impression at the end. I do find that the dance is more entertaining on repeated watchings. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

I’m not sure what that thing Adam did was. He looked lost in a group to me.

It was absolutely hilarious that the judges compared him to both the Three Stooges and the Monkees! Not what they were going for at all...you could see the embarrassment on their faces. 

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, Adam & Jenna's contemporary routine should have been their freestyle. By giving them contemporary in such a short season (why could he not have done the AT or the paso?), they kind of forced A & J to have to come up with something *even* more crazy. 

Lol at People Magazine. In their article about Adam winning, they quote him as saying he wanted to do something "corky". I think he meant quirky...maybe it was both. Oh, and usually the couples have to wear their final dance outfits to receive the Mirrorball in. But in spite of the time crunch, everyone got to change. Which benefited A & J the most, for sure. 

Edited by tessaforever
  • Love 4
(edited)

if I never hear again how Jenna and Adam have "clicked" it will be too soon. 

As I said before the season, Jenna can play a showmance angle with anyone. regardless of sexual preference.  Immediately thought Jenna was ripping off her K=pop success with Mark Kanemura (after all, even people who loathed her (like me) thought that dance was amazing).

This was a shockingly dull season.  It remains to be seen if I will watch DWTS again, because this really soured me on the show.  (I didn't watch it) but  If thereports of the Facebook livestream is anything to go by, letting Tom and Erin snark publically about it suggests that the show itself may be aware of the damage they have done to their brand.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 7
(edited)

I'm on the west coast. I didn't tune in until 8 p.m. my time and it ended at 9:00. Was it only an hour, or did I miss the first half? Well anyway, I saw all the freestyles. I didn't see any of the former contestants dance, not that I cared. Adam's freestyle was a hot mess and Josh's was just weird. Tonya's was probably the best, although a woman her age just looks silly doing cartwheels. 

Anyway, I'm glad Adam won even though his freestyle stunk. He was by far the best and most entertaining dancer this season, and he had cute chemistry with Jenna. I'm not sure why people are hating on Jenna. It's not her fault she got Adam as a partner or that it was a short season. She did the best under the circumstances. At least she made the most of the opportunity, unlike Sharna, who can't even win in a short season with a likable partner when the designated winner messes up? I don't think there is much hope for her.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 3

Will Loftis is pretty well known in the dance scene. I know him because he has assisted often over the years on SYTYCD, notably for Sonya Tayeh. He may have also auditioned for one of the earlier seasons.

i noticed SYTYCD alumni Teddy and Koine in the audience behind the judges. They were on tour with Maks and Val. Weird that they have the tour cast sitting in the VIP seats while Maks Val and Peta were nowhere to be seen.

• Love 1

I was already disappointed in the 4 week format.  More disappointed because I wanted to see more of Josh.  I liked his dancing...yes Adam was better.....his disposition, humor and non tragic family connection.

Someone on this forum made a comment about Jenna's eyebrows and ever since I can't see past them.  They even overshadow her mugging for the camera.  The only other physical attribute that usually bugs me is blonde hair with dark roots and that abounds on the show.  I used to be blonde and kept the roots covered.  (of course now there's so much gray I could go blonde and probably wouldn't show any roots lol)

18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

At least she made the most of the opportunity, unlike Sharna, who can't even win in a short season with a likable partner when the designated winner messes up? I don't think there is much hope for her.

It had nothing to do with Sharna's abilities. The winner was already selected before the first dance was danced.

15 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

i noticed SYTYCD alumni Teddy and Koine in the audience behind the judges. They were on tour with Maks and Val. Weird that they have the tour cast sitting in the VIP seats while Maks Val and Peta were nowhere to be seen.

I thought they would all be there, shoving their faces in front of the camera every opportunity they got. But Maks was in Vegas, Val was apparently in NYC and no clue where Peta was.

11 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Was Val really there or did he just claim he was? Surely he would have been mugging on camera at the end if he was around.

I don't know if he was there but he was in NYC at GMA this morning. Nicole Volynets posted pics from there and gave photo credit to Val.

1 minute ago, deemac said:

Someone on this forum made a comment about Jenna's eyebrows and ever since I can't see past them.  They even overshadow her mugging for the camera.  The only other physical attribute that usually bugs me is blonde hair with dark roots and that abounds on the show.  I used to be blonde and kept the roots covered.  (of course now there's so much gray I could go blonde and probably wouldn't show any roots lol)

Her eyebrows and her weird smile drive me bananas! LOL

• Love 1
1 hour ago, EsEmi said:

I think this guy had something to do with it based on his comment. Anyone know him? 

I wish they had done something else for the freestyle that would have left a better impression at the end. I do find that the dance is more entertaining on repeated watchings. 

Also I realize dancers are far from being known for culturally sensitive, but no handful of super white dancers should be trying to pull off a fashion geisha fantasy.  That is culturally exploitive and gross nonsense.  I know people are tired of the word appropriation, but geishas are not your play things.  That said, I had seen some discussion about cultural appropriation re: this dance last night on socials but I wasn't sure because I honestly couldn't tell what the hell vibe Jenna was going for with the number.  Now knowing it was supposed to be a geisha fantasy makes me hate it even more.  You don't get to try on other cultures for fun in the name of dance and self expression.  I don't expect Jenna to know better because she's shown questionable judgment in the past (calling herself Pocohontas when she gets a bad spray tan amongst other things), but I expect Adam to know better.

FWIW, I think Jenna may have potential as a choreographer but she also need to get her head out of her SYTYCD numbers and get fresh inspiration.  Too many of her numbers seem to reference past SYTYCD numbers that were better the first time around.  She also needs to learn the difference between choreographing for a professional dancer versus a very good newbie with no extensive training.  I've seen so much online about how DWTS fans were just too stupid to get the brilliance of Jenna's SYTYCD freestyle dance last night, but that wasn't it at all.  The issue wasn't being out of the box.  The issue was it wasn't suited to Adam's strengths as a dancer and didn't showcase him at all.

• Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

It reminded me of it last night, but watching this dance again yes, definitely, completely inspired by this. 

And such an odd choice, because why do a k-pop influenced thing when your song is Dominican/Latin?? Like, all the pieces didn’t even really fit together. I think Jenna shows some potential promise as a choreographer, but this just came off as a weird copy of someone else’s style.

And the Jazz was fine (it was at least actual jazz) but no acting out the words of the song plz, it makes me uncomfortable it’s so awkward. 

A very weird finale.

I'm glad that Adam won even though the freestyle didn't go well.  It did remind me of Mark's K-Pop routine on SYTYCD.  However, I agree with you that everything didn't mesh together.  It wasn't just the song.  Jenna and Adam didn't match the background dancers' costumes either.  I guess Jenna wanted them to stand out from the rest but it just seemed like a mish mash of styles. 

I think it was a disadvantage that Adam and Jenna had contemporary last week and jazz this week.  As somebody else mentioned, it forced their freestyle to have to be different.  I don't see why TPTB couldn't give them a ballroom dance since Adam would have been fine doing it.  Their contemporary and jazz routines were great.  Their freestyle needed to be synchronized and they weren't.  If you don't have that, then it goes downhill since it wasn't a technical dance. 

I think the show tried to give all three dancers the styles that they were comfortable with.  Maybe, it's because of the short season.  It's just more noticeable with Adam since he had both contemporary and jazz.  Josh didn't do a Standard until last night.  Tonya never had a fast Latin dance that required hip action.  She was better at the more elegant ballroom dances.  It showed in her Viennese Waltz.  She was better than Josh's during his Foxtrot.  But then again, she had more practice doing Standard and Smooth then he did.

Tonya's freestyle looked like something I would see at a Junior High performance.  It made me wish Simone did the routine.  Her gymnastic would have been more technically difficult and done better.  Tonya really muscled through the routine.  I will say that she did well for a 47 year old and has lots of energy. 

I enjoyed Josh's freestyle the most.  It fit him and it was done well except I think he bobbled at the end.  If the viewers would have been able to vote overnight and there was a results show, Josh and Sharna might have won based on the freestyles.  I think Tonya is too controversial to win even though some enjoyed hers more.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Will Loftis is pretty well known in the dance scene. I know him because he has assisted often over the years on SYTYCD, notably for Sonya Tayeh. He may have also auditioned for one of the earlier seasons.

47 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Was Val really there or did he just claim he was? Surely he would have been mugging on camera at the end if he was around.

Val was there but looks like he stayed backstage.  He's shown there in his Instastories.  Maks was still in Vegas.  Not sure about Peta.  

11 minutes ago, spanana said:

Also I realize dancers are far from being known for culturally sensitive, but no handful of super white dancers should be trying to pull off a fashion geisha fantasy.  That is culturally exploitive and gross nonsense.  I know people are tired of the word appropriation, but geishas are not your play things.  That said, I had seen some discussion about cultural appropriation re: this dance last night on socials but I wasn't sure because I honestly couldn't tell what the hell vibe Jenna was going for with the number.  Now knowing it was supposed to be a geisha fantasy makes me hate it even more.  You don't get to try on other cultures for fun in the name of dance and self expression.  I don't expect Jenna to know better because she's shown questionable judgment in the past (calling herself Pocohontas when she gets a bad spray tan amongst other things), but I expect Adam to know better.

Geisha fantasy?? Ugh. I'm not Japanese, but I'm Indian, and I have no problem with people of other cultures doing Indian dances as long as they're respectful about it. It's only when they are clueless or mocking do I have a problem. Perhaps they would have been better off getting an actual Japanese choreographer to assist with the dance. I do like Jenna as a choreographer for the most part, but she does seem immature and clueless. Maybe she felt she really had to go with something different since Adam did contemporary and jazz already.

I really wish Adam got more ballroom dances. He has beautiful lines and posture when he skates. He would have done an awesome paso or tango.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

By the way, wasn't that song in Spanish? Not sure what it had to do with geishas.

Yes.  That was what kitcloudkicker and I were saying.  The song didn't match the geisha theme.  I was wondering if somebody was going to say anything about cultural appropriation.  However, as I previously mentioned, the whole dance seemed like a mish mash of different themes/styles.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

The high point of the night was when shirtless Artem was called up on stage to stand next to shirtless Josh. I know I'm shallow. LOL

I loved that segment!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

The high point of the night was when shirtless Artem was called up on stage to stand next to shirtless Josh. I know I'm shallow. LOL

Hey, make room in the shallow end for me!  I loved that part!!  :)

• Love 6

I thought Tonya's opening-number waltz was beautiful. The colors were wonderful and she looked like someone's mom dancing at a wedding, but dancing well. Like you'd think, "Wow, I didn't know gramma could dance like that." I sort of remember Adam's jazz (I wasn't sure what it was until it was said at the end) and don't remember Josh's first dance at all. None of the freestyles wowed me, but I did love the costumes in Adam's and I thought Tonya toughed it out pretty well for her age and build. I wondered where all that water went after Josh's freestyle, and the practical person in me kept thinking about the water dripping on the dance floor and ruining the finish. And of course no towel covering his wet chest was allowed during judge critique.

I was disappointed no second place was announced; even the winner was rushed to be announced at the end. I assumed Adam would win. I have never cared all that much about who wins lately since I've been watching since the first episode (some of you weren't born yet) when there had to be a dance-off second show since no one agreed with Kelly and Alec winning when people thought John O’Hurley and Charlotte should have. Oh, the good old days. The show was Strictly Ballroom back then. None of this mucking about.

Look at pictures of those early winners and yeah, that mirrorball trophy is now lightweight and half the size. Geez, show, what's up with that. And what, no hoisting the winners up in the air to be paraded around on everyone's shoulders? Geez, show, what's up with that.

I did love Jenna asking if Adam would marry her. I feel the same. And Sasha is all kinds of awesome. That's my takeaway from this "season."

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought Tonya's opening-number waltz was beautiful. The colors were wonderful and she looked like someone's mom dancing at a wedding, but dancing well. Like you'd think, "Wow, I didn't know gramma could dance like that." I sort of remember Adam's jazz (I wasn't sure what it was until it was said at the end) and don't remember Josh's first dance at all. None of the freestyles wowed me, but I did love the costumes in Adam's and I thought Tonya toughed it out pretty well for her age and build. I wondered where all that water went after Josh's freestyle, and the practical person in me kept thinking about the water dripping on the dance floor and ruining the finish. And of course no towel covering his wet chest was allowed during judge critique.

I was disappointed no second place was announced; even the winner was rushed to be announced at the end. I assumed Adam would win. I have never cared all that much about who wins lately since I've been watching since the first episode (some of you weren't born yet) when there had to be a dance-off second show since no one agreed with Kelly and Alec winning when people thought John O’Hurley and Charlotte should have. Oh, the good old days. The show was Strictly Ballroom back then. None of this mucking about.

Look at pictures of those early winners and yeah, that mirrorball trophy is now lightweight and half the size. Geez, show, what's up with that. And what, no hoisting the winners up in the air to be paraded around on everyone's shoulders? Geez, show, what's up with that.

I did love Jenna asking if Adam would marry her. I feel the same. And Sasha is all kinds of awesome. That's my takeaway from this "season."

I don't think the size of the mirrorballs has changed much over the years with the exception of this season.  The one for this particular mini season was mini, which to me was understandable considering those involved put in like a quarter of the work/time.  But the ones that Jordan/Lindsay won last year were pretty huge. I think this was just a special one off.

• Love 3
(edited)

Some people's hearts are bleeding for Sharna but honestly, if I had never won before, I wouldn't want this "season-ette" to be my first mirror ball win. It doesn't count. Its absolutely nothing like winning a complete season and will always have an asterisk next to it. I like Jenna a lot but again...this season doesn't exist to me.

Sharna's time will come. She's just been horribly unlucky. Both she and Mark have had multiple partners who would have been shoo-ins for the win if it wasn't for some otherworldly celeb/personality/dancer. Like no way was anybody beating Laurie Hernandez or Bindi Irwin and Adam Rippon was the winner as soon as he signed on the dotted line. 

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 11

I would really have liked to see most of the contestants in a regular season with other types of stars. I would have enjoyed getting to know most of them better and seeing their journey. I really did not like this 4 week thing. Congrats to Adam, but I really would have liked seeing more dances by him.

• Love 7

Also I realize dancers are far from being known for culturally sensitive, but no handful of super white dancers should be trying to pull off a fashion geisha fantasy. 

I honestly didn't know what they were going for, but I had a nagging feeling there was something vaguely offensive about it. It's mostly the dark wigs I guess but there seemed to be some indefinable racial component to it. It felt icky.

DWTS should never have another ice skater/dancer or gymnast on again. At least not against anyone but other ice skaters/dancers or gymnasts. It's not fair to everyone else.....the athletes who have no chance against these people with training or the pros who invest so much in the season and their partners. 

Then they should never invite any football players, baseball players, or basketball players to compete either, because of the favoritism they are constantly shown by both the judges and the voters. That's the only way it could be "fair." No athletes, period. I seem to recall the judges nitpicked Nancy Kerrigan to death even though her dancing was quite lovely and she left in sixth place or something. It's not an automatic advantage to be a skater. Charlie White got screwed over too.

I’m still not a fan on Erin. She seems to mess up all the time or has no idea what’s going on and just shrugs like “Whoops. I’m still adorable”.

1,000 Likes!!! 

Look, Sam and Brooke were airheads, but at least Brooke was composed. And if your job is commentator, I would think composure is a must. Erin is just too scattered and stumbles over her own words too often. I guess she does get by on personality and connections because frankly she's not all that qualified to commentate. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Ugh. Why does Sharna always get screwed? Why can't Sasha catch a break?

That freestyle was shit. In plain English. Adam danced so well overall but boy Jenna choreographed something god-awful. It's embarassing that Jenna has a Mirrorball and the likes of Sharna and Sasha do not.

Though, perhaps this half-assed season gave ùs the victory we deserve. I have nothing but love for Adam, but he was given the easiest dances all season, and I don't recall a freestyle that bad - let alone a freestyle that bad actually winning. Let the record show I only started watching in season 18, so I never watched Bristol Palin or Bill Engvall.

Looking forward to a real season in the fall when I can vote my fingers off for Sharna, and hopefully Jenna is gone after week 1.

I find it embarrassing the ole Sharna is still there when much more talented pros have come and gone.  I really wish TPTB would realize that she just is not that good.

I think Jenna is a talented dancer who does not give off the sleaze factor that Sharna does.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I find it embarrassing the ole Sharna is still there when much more talented pros have come and gone.  I really wish TPTB would realize that she just is not that good.

I think Jenna is a talented dancer who does not give off the sleaze factor that Sharna does.

Well if she couldn't make the finals with the ringeriest male ringer of all time (Charlie White), then I don't think she is ever going to win. She was beaten by James Maslow for Pete's sake.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I'm not sure what more "talented" pros you think have come and gone since Sharna's been there, but the only pros I can think of who have gone since she joined the show are most of the long-term pros who were around way before she got there.

16 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Well if she couldn't make the finals with the ringeriest male ringer of all time (Charlie White), then I don't think she is ever going to win. She was beaten by James Maslow for Pete's sake.

I'm also not sure why Charlie keeps being brought up as if there wasn't major manipulations going on that season and as if he wasn't sacrificed so that Maks could shut up and stop whining about never winning.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm not sure what more "talented" pros you think have come and gone since Sharna's been there, but the only pros I can think of who have gone since she joined the show are most of the long-term pros who were around way before she got there.

I'm also not sure why Charlie keeps being brought up as if there wasn't major manipulations going on that season and as if he wasn't sacrificed so that Maks could shut up and stop whining about never winning.

I know Meryl was going to win, but but she could have won with plenty of other partners. Plenty of Sharna's partners have been pimped as well. Nick and James Hinchcliffe were pimped quite a bit if I remember. She also got Antonio Brown who was a charismatic football player, and she couldn't even make the finals with him. Her freestyles just aren't that good. I don't even remember Nick's and Josh's wasn't that good, either. Come to think of it, I don't even remember any of Charlie's dances except the Mary Poppins one.

She was so good with Andy Dick that I expected a lot more from her after that season. She just sort of peaked with him, but has been pretty forgettable since.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I know Meryl was going to win, but but she could have won with plenty of other partners. Plenty of Sharna's partners have been pimped as well. Nick and James Hinchcliffe were pimped quite a bit if I remember. She also got Antonio Brown who was a charismatic football player, and she couldn't even make the finals with him. Her freestyles just aren't that good. I don't even remember Nick's and Josh's wasn't that good, either. Come to think of it, I don't even remember any of Charlie's dances except the Mary Poppins one.

She was so good with Andy Dick that I expected a lot more from her after that season. She just sort of peaked with him, but has been pretty forgettable since.

James Hinchcliffe was never going to beat fresh off the Olympics Laurie Hernandez, who was also seen as one of America's golden sweethearts at the time.  That had nothing to do with Sharna and everything to do with casting that season.  In another season he might have won, but Sharna did about everything she could to give him the best chance of beating Laurie, but nobody was beating Laurie.  That was a given from the day the cast was announced.

• Love 9

I'm not sure why people are hating on Jenna. It's not her fault she got Adam as a partner or that it was a short season. 

Trust me, disliking Jenna has nothing to do with this season in particular and everything to do with Jenna in general - if you read the boards the many reasons boil down to 1) she is terrible at choreo that features anyone but her 2) she mugs for the camera so constantly and obviously that it's hard to see and soemtimes hear anything else when she is on screen 3) the pity is because Val.

• Love 6

I’m not sure what that thing Adam did was. He looked lost in a group to me.

He did look lost. Not only because of it being his weakest dance, but the lighting was also really low with no spotlight for Jenna and Adam for most of the routine. For some of it, I couldn't really see what they were doing. Maybe that's a good thing.

• Love 2

Why the hell was the voting window so damn short? I barely got my votes in and I know a bunch of people who were voting for Josh and Sharna didn't get their votes in at all. Josh would have won as he is more popular than Adam who nobody even knew until the Winter Olympics.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

Yes to all of these responses.

I adore Maksyl to the high heavens. But Charlie was nitpicked to death and given an early exit to ensure he and and Meryl didn't split votes. Ringiest male of all time? Please. Alfonso, Jordan, and Adam were more teed up for the win than Charlie ever was. He was openly engaged and couldn't push a showmance like Meryl and Maks. He was great but he wasn't nearly as motivated to win as Meryl, and seemed understandably tired and drained of media machinations after his Olympic win.

As for the sleaze factor? Well I find Sharna a class act and Jenna... well that all speaks for itself. I can't imagine Sharna choreographing something so simulataneously hideous AND culturally tone deaf.  No wonder Val wasn't running out in front last night.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 10
(edited)

I don't think Sharna is a sleaze, but she is overrated. Nick was definitely pimped to High Heaven. He had a gender reveal party for his baby on TV. Bindi won because Derek is a better choreographer than her. She was pimped as well, but so was Nick. Who has gotten as many chances without winning as Sharna?

And how many times did we have to hear about James' accident? TPTB would have definitely been fine with him winning.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Was it only an hour, or did I miss the first half?

No, it was only an hour.

5 hours ago, spanana said:

I don't think the size of the mirrorballs has changed much over the years with the exception of this season.  The one for this particular mini season was mini, which to me was understandable considering those involved put in like a quarter of the work/time.  But the ones that Jordan/Lindsay won last year were pretty huge. I think this was just a special one off.

I thought Tom said at some point that they had a special trophy for this season.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, doLLish said:

Some people's hearts are bleeding for Sharna but honestly, if I had never won before, I wouldn't want this "season-ette" to be my first mirror ball win. It doesn't count. Its absolutely nothing like winning a complete season and will always have an asterisk next to it. I like Jenna a lot but again...this season doesn't exist to me.

Sharna's time will come. She's just been horribly unlucky. Both she and Mark have had multiple partners who would have been shoo-ins for the win if it wasn't for some otherworldly celeb/personality/dancer. Like no way was anybody beating Laurie Hernandez or Bindi Irwin and Adam Rippon was the winner as soon as he signed on the dotted line. 

Adam being the pre-determined winner is interesting (and I'm not disagreeing with you) - but doesn't that mean that TPTB wanted Jenna to win? Otherwise, they could have given Adam to Sharna and 100% guaranteed her a win? I mean, I'm glad they didn't do that, because I liked Josh with Sharna and Adam with Jenna, but it's interesting to ponder.  

I actually like Sharna as a person and a dancer, but I don't know if everything will ever align perfectly for her to win. But I thought the same thing about Emma and Lindsay, and they both finally got their MBT. 

Well, I'm going to put my two cents in and say I don't find Sharna sleazy or untalented.  I think she's sexy as hell, very beautiful, and mad talented.  I loved her partnership with Josh, and especially her partnership with James Hinchcliff.  I don't think she and Adam would've made a great pairing, though, because although Adam is a fine performer, he's not a good enough actor to have that smoldering, "are they or aren't they?" connection with Sharna.  I didn't mind him with Jenna (although I wasn't crazy about that freestyle), but I think he'd have been adorable with Witney or Lindsay, too.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, spanana said:

James Hinchcliffe was never going to beat fresh off the Olympics Laurie Hernandez, who was also seen as one of America's golden sweethearts at the time.  That had nothing to do with Sharna and everything to do with casting that season.  In another season he might have won, but Sharna did about everything she could to give him the best chance of beating Laurie, but nobody was beating Laurie.  That was a given from the day the cast was announced.

TPTB have been very obvious in how they want each season to play out and who they want to win. James was a wonderful surprise and it would've been nice to see him pull off an upset, but just like so many others, he wasn't going to win against a powerhouse who was either a fresh off the Olympic gymnast/ice skater or a boy/girl band member.

1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Yes to all of these responses.

I adore Maksyl to the high heavens. But Charlie was nitpicked to death and given an early exit to ensure he and and Meryl didn't split votes. Ringiest male of all time? Please. Alfonso, Jordan, and Adam were more teed up for the win than Charlie ever was. He was openly engaged and couldn't push a showmance like Meryl and Maks. He was great but he wasn't nearly as motivated to win as Meryl, and seemed understandably tired and drained of media machinations after his Olympic win.

As for the sleaze factor? Well I find Sharna a class act and Jenna... well that all speaks for itself. I can't imagine Sharna choreographing something so simulataneously hideous AND culturally tone deaf.  No wonder Val wasn't running out in front last night.

Even if he wasn't engaged, I don't think Charlie ever would have gone down the showmance road. I'm not a Maskyl fan at all (I despised that partnership and all the manipulation around it), but I'm surprised Meryl went along with it, especially that she had a boyfriend (I don't believe she ever broke up with Fedor). The producers and Maks's charm must've been on full display.

I don't think Sharna is a sleaze, but she is overrated. Nick was definitely pimped to High Heaven. He had a gender reveal party for his baby on TV. Bindi won because Derek is a better choreographer than her. She was pimped as well, but so was Nick. Who has gotten as many chances without winning as Sharna?

And how many times did we have to hear about James' accident? TPTB would have definitely been fine with him winning.

Everyone knew Bindi was going to win before the season started. Not only that but if you're going to trash Sharna as overrated because she didn't win with a contender, then you would also have to trash pretty much every other pro for not winning with someone viewed as a contender (Maks with Mel B, Mark with Sabrina, Cheryl with Gilles, Karina with Mario, etc.). And if we're going to talk about sleaze, where is Peta's name in the conversation? I think she's the sleaziest female pro the show has ever had.

31 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

Adam being the pre-determined winner is interesting (and I'm not disagreeing with you) - but doesn't that mean that TPTB wanted Jenna to win? Otherwise, they could have given Adam to Sharna and 100% guaranteed her a win? I mean, I'm glad they didn't do that, because I liked Josh with Sharna and Adam with Jenna, but it's interesting to ponder.  

I actually like Sharna as a person and a dancer, but I don't know if everything will ever align perfectly for her to win. But I thought the same thing about Emma and Lindsay, and they both finally got their MBT. 

IMO, they gave Adam to Jenna to appease Val. He made no bones about the fact Jenna couldn't tour with them because the show wouldn't let her. His contract is up and with the weak pro lineup they have these days, they needed to ensure Val comes back next season. YMMV.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

IMO, they gave Adam to Jenna to appease Val. He made no bones about the fact Jenna couldn't tour with them because the show wouldn't let her. His contract is up and with the weak pro lineup they have these days, they needed to ensure Val comes back next season. YMMV.

That is definitely a possibility!!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Ugh. Why does Sharna always get screwed? Why can't Sasha catch a break?

That freestyle was shit. In plain English. Adam danced so well overall but boy Jenna choreographed something god-awful. It's embarassing that Jenna has a Mirrorball and the likes of Sharna and Sasha do not.

Though, perhaps this half-assed season gave ùs the victory we deserve. I have nothing but love for Adam, but he was given the easiest dances all season, and I don't recall a freestyle that bad - let alone a freestyle that bad actually winning. Let the record show I only started watching in season 18, so I never watched Bristol Palin or Bill Engvall.

Looking forward to a real season in the fall when I can vote my fingers off for Sharna, and hopefully Jenna is gone after week 1.

I know, Sharna has been screwed over so many times on DWTS and this latest one was just terrible.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaforever said:

You raise interesting points.

I can't imagine what an Adam/Sharna partnership would look like though. She and Josh were perfect together. Sharna being the sexy single girl and being able to hint at some type of showmance with her partner is part of her pro persona. Her and Adam...I just can't see it. He and Jenna were a perfect match for various reasons.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not Sharna's biggest fan in that she's done some things to royally piss me off.  The most recent and biggest being her blind defense of Nick Carter from rape allegations, where she also cast aspersions on his accuser, despite the fact that she didn't know Nick at that point of his life AND she wasn't there.  I also have disliked some of her partnerships, like the ickiness that happened with Bonner.  But she does well in the right partnerships and more often than not I think she's a good pro who can put together some interesting routines.  She's not entirely out of the box, but I don't think she's really the reason that her main contenders haven't won.

I agree with everything said about Charlie.  He was always there to be sacrificed at the alter of Maksyl and Meryl.  I stand by that there was nothing else Sharna could have done with James.  That season was always about Laurie and was from the second it was announced.  Even with Nick, I could have told you Bindi was winning from day one of that season.  Sometimes it really comes down to the luck of the draw in terms of who else you are up against during that season.  I sincerely think James could have won another season perhaps, but not off fresh off the Olympics Laurie.

But my main point this isn't me being such a huge Sharna fan, so much as I see her as a pretty steady pro that does pretty good work with no matter who she is given, or at least on par or better than most of the others (particularly the male pros).

I'll also add since there is so much talk about Jenna, that I don't begrudge Jenna getting her pro spot after putting in so much time in the troupe.  I personally find her an incredibly annoying and rather self centered performer and I still think she has a lot to learn to be a good pro for anybody who isn't coming in with a certain skill set.  I think if you give her a Kareem or an Andy Dick (not that those two are comparable), she'd fall apart.  But of course mileage varies, and of course others love her.  I'd want to see what she can do if challenged, because even this short season I found her choreography incredibly overrated since much of the inspiration was pulled from SYTYCD dances.  Plus the whole fashion geisha imagery she was going for in her freestyle (per the words of the choreographer that helped her) was enough to set me off.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, spanana said:

Maybe all of our pros are just too tired to post, but the most telling thing to me about how most pros/cast didn't see this as a real season, is all the lack of after celebratory and congratulations posts that usually get posted the second it's over.  The whole finale was so rushed that there was little to celebrate.  I don't think it's a comment on Adam or Jenna as I imagine everyone is fine with their win, except maybe Sharna (not based on anything except her track record of always getting so close and never quite winning), but just the whole ending doesn't feel the same and I'm sure the pros are aware of that.  Are they even having a GMA celebration or does nobody care?

They had American Idol and Dancing with the Stars people on GMA.

• Love 1

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about tonight's episode. 

I enjoyed Tonya's first dance, but her freestyle was kind of a hot mess to me. Her gymnastics moves were clunky and awkward.

Josh's first dance also seemed clunky, but I thought he had the best freestyle.

Adam. His first dance was good technically, but I just didn't feel it emotionally, and his freestyle had me thinking "what the hell did I just watch?"

Ugh. I guess personality-wise I would have liked to see Josh win, but Adam had more technically good dances over the whole(short)season.

I would have liked to see Josh and Chris on a full season.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, LexieLily said:

Can Chris, Josh, Jennie and Adam come back for a regular, ten week season? Chris/Witney and Josh/Sharna can stay in their partnerships, if they must, but Adam and Jennie deserve different partners.

Add Arike to that list. She had potential and I think she would have been one of those contestants who really blossoms during a normal season.

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

ABC Publicity confirmed Tonya finished 3rd and Josh 2nd.

I’m glad. I saw a story at People.com yesterday about Tonya with a line that read “ after coming in second on DWTS,” and I thought “Huh, really?” Glad they confirmed the actual placements.

• Love 2

I watched part of the first episode of this "season" and tuned out for the rest. It was actually nice to have a break from the drama and anxiety that can surround DWTS during a regular season. Who has a ringer, who is getting screwed over, fans arguing online, pros being shady, etc. Next season I may just try and stay completely offline and watch the show for what it is and just enjoy it.

Part of the reason I didn't watch this season was because I am not a fan of Jenna's. Like, AT ALL. I know there is a lot of talk about her right now and I do think she's a polarizing pro. I will give her credit for having potential as a choreographer and putting in her dues but I think I would have more respect for her if she didn't center her world around Val and actually tried to build her own identity. Since she showed up in S18 she's pretty much been following him around begging for attention. I thought she finally broke the habit when he was dating Amber and she started her blog (and talked about their unhealthy relationship and how it made her feel bad about herself) but she started dating him again about a week after he broke up with Amber. Part of me does feel bad for her because I think she's a fairly insecure person at heart but she isn't doing much to break her bad habits. I know this shouldn't effect my opinions of her as a pro/dancer, but, let's face it, the pros are the real celebs of the show.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Bindi was going to win before the season started. Not only that but if you're going to trash Sharna as overrated because she didn't win with a contender, then you would also have to trash pretty much every other pro for not winning with someone viewed as a contender (Maks with Mel B, Mark with Sabrina, Cheryl with Gilles, Karina with Mario, etc.). And if we're going to talk about sleaze, where is Peta's name in the conversation? I think she's the sleaziest female pro the show has ever had.

I never said Sharna was a sleaze, and I didn't trash her. I just don't like her dancing.

Cheryl had a horrible freestyle with Gilles, and Maks's freestyle with Mel B was no picnic either. They could have won if they had better freestyles. No one but themselves to blame for those. Peta has delivered some pretty good freestyles, like Donald Driver's and Nyle's. That's why she won so many times.

P.S. Donald wasn't near as pimped as Katharine and William that season, but Peta somehow managed to pull off the win. 

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 3