Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E04: Finale

• Start Topic

That freestyle of Adam and Jenna's was....something. Hm. Also, I wouldn't have given Tonya's freestyle a 10-it was cute and fun, but it wasn't perfect. But I can overlook that part of things, 'cause it's usually during the finale when the judges are just like, "Screw it, everyone was awesome tonight!, you all get 9s/10s" :p.

Not surprised by the outcome, but I liked Adam and Jenna overall, so I'm fine with it. Definitely looking forward to going back to the regular format next season, though. This four-week thing just does not work at all. 

• Love 8

I'm laughing so hard.  I knew Adam was winning obviously in this stupid 4 week season, but the fact that he won after that awful mess of a freestyle is even funnier.  Especially in a season where he did like 3 ballroom dances.  Can we just erase this season and pretend it never happened? I will laugh so hard if when the next regular season comes around, everyone just ignores this one.

• Love 23

That was a pointless four weeks...and I loved Tonya's freestyle(as a Tonya-hater, that's hard for me tosay)..hated the hip-hop action of Josh's..and was doing too many "WTF's" during Adam's...Easy...easy to predict..and a really, lame idea for a season...

I want MORE Tom Bergeron in my life..NOT less....

• Love 9

I actually liked Tonya's freestyle. I think Josh's was the best of the three, but I was surprised at what Tonya could do considering she was a figure skater and not a gymnast. There were a few shades of Shawn Johnson in that freestyle - not bad for a 47-year-old!

But I agree, Adam's freestyle was a completely underwhelming hot mess.

• Love 15
Just now, madpsych78 said:

I actually liked Tonya's freestyle. I think Josh's was the best of the three, but I was surprised at what Tonya could do considering she was a figure skater and not a gymnast. There were a few shades of Shawn Johnson in that freestyle - not bad for a 47-year-old!

But I agree, Adam's freestyle was a completely underwhelming hot mess.

Jenna better be happy that this was such a short season where her person was always winning, because she boffed that choreography hard.  

• Love 14

In a regular season where people had time after the performance show to vote, I think Josh might have been able to pull off an upset based on how truly terrible Adam's freestyle was. Yikes. 

• Love 22
(edited)

Val, Maks and Peta may consider this another win for the family, but I don't think anyone else will consider this a win. What a complete joke this season was and what an even bigger joke this finale was. Adam winning with that mess of a freestyle? After an anything goes jazz routine? He didn't even have a difficult dance that challenged him the whole season. Oh and by the way...who came in second? They didn't even bother to tell us that.

I loved Josh's freestyle, thought Tonya's was good but not worthy of a 30. 

This season, more than any other, was nothing but a popularity contest. And Olympians are popular after the Olympics. DWTS should never have another ice skater/dancer or gymnast on again. At least not against anyone but other ice skaters/dancers or gymnasts. It's not fair to everyone else.....the athletes who have no chance against these people with training or the pros who invest so much in the season and their partners. 

You don't know how hard I'm kicking myself that I even bothered to watch this season. And please...if I never hear again how Jenna and Adam have "clicked" it will be too soon. Talk about beating us over the head with something.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 14
(edited)

No surprises tonight. I didn't bother with a write up since the ending was a foregone conclusion but just a couple thoughts:

Tonya:  A lovely Viennese Waltz.  A little wobble at the beginning and at times she looked like she was muscling through it but overall a great job.  But that freestyle was awful.  The whole beginning where she was dancing and twirling on her own, she looked labored and very unflattering and made me think of something out of middle school.  Sasha really let her down. But of course all 10s as is traditional for freestyles.

Josh:  For his Foxtrot he looked a little stiff at times and Sharna was really carrying the load here. But that freestyle was awesome!  He was strong, powerful, commanded the floor and Sharna frequently stepped back to dance with the troupe.  Great job and fitting for him (no this would not work for most contestants).

Adam:  Jazz was cute but nothing unusual or different.  How does he get Contemporary last week and Jazz this week?  He basically got 3 freestyles.  That freestyle was strange. Parts that I think were supposed to be in synch weren't. Much of it underlit.  Nigel Lythgoe would probably love it on SYTYCD but waaaay too outside the box here.  Inventive, yes. Well executed, no.  Unusual that judges critiqued it (first time all season!).

I suspect the 28 score was to close the gap so Adam wasn't so far ahead of Josh.  They were trying to create a little suspense (or throw Sharna a little kibble).  Before the freestyles, they put Adam a whopping 3.6145% over Josh.  After the freestyles, Adam was only 0.585% over Josh.  If more time had been given for voting, it's possible Josh could have won since I think Sharna's fans (and those fans who don't like Jenna) could have pulled out a win but with, what was it, 3 minutes to vote? Not much could be done.  But at least it appears Sharna wasn't completely trounced by Jenna - that's what I mean by throwing her some kibble.  In reality, the awardee was known from the start and the path was cleared for him.

Edited by Uke
fix Nigel's name
  • Love 9
(edited)

I think you can have ice skaters/dancers, gymnasts etc. on in regular seasons. I know I'm a broken record, but the issue in a 4 week season is everyone stays at the same popularity they came into the show with since there is no time to get to know anyone or for growth arcs.  So in a regular season if Adam had come in with that mess of a freestyle and Josh did a good one, he might have won since at that point we would have gotten a chance to know Josh better and seen his journey.  Whereas Adam might have stayed one note.  The problem here was Adam was the most relevant coming in and nobody had a chance to get enough airtime to compete with that.   So congrats to Jenna, but my dislike of her aside, that win comes with a MAJOR MAJOR footnote and should not be held up alongside any other wins.  He won without having to do almost any ballroom and won based on the format of the season, despite a botched freestyle.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Val, Maks and Peta may consider this another win for the family, but I don't think anyone else will consider this a win. What a complete joke this season was and what an even bigger joke this finale was. Adam winning with that mess of a freestyle? After an anything goes jazz routine? He didn't even have a difficult dance that challenged him the whole season. Oh and by the way...who came in second? They didn't even bother to tell us that.

I loved Josh's freestyle, thought Tonya's was good but not worthy of a 30. 

This season, more than any other, was nothing but a popularity contest. And Olympians are popular after the Olympics. DWTS should never have another ice skater/dancer or gymnast on again. At least not against anyone but other ice skaters/dancers or gymnasts. It's not fair to everyone else.....the athletes who have no chance against these people with training or the pros who invest so much in the season and their partners. 

You don't know how hard I'm kicking myself that I even bothered to watch this season. And please...if I never hear again how Jenna and Adam have "clicked" it will be too soon. Talk about beating us over the head with something.

I couldn't have said it better. That ending sucked bad. SMH.

• Love 6
(edited)

Adam’s freestyle was a hot mess. I feel like Jenna was trying to emulate that ponytail/braid/lip couch dance from her season of SYTYCD that got a lot of hype and she failed miserably. It was weird to end the show on 9s when even Tonya got straight tens. That said, I think Sasha put together a good freestyle. I liked Josh/Sharna’s but was a little underwhelmed compared to her dances in previous seasons. The freestyles seemed shorter compared to previous finales but I assume that’s cause they only had an hour (however, Adam’s dance seemed to never end, it was that bad).

I’m still not a fan on Erin. She seems to mess up all the time or has no idea what’s going on and just shrugs like “Whoops. I’m still adorable”. I didn’t watch other seasons with other ladies in her role but there has to be someone better out there who doesn’t produce such cringeworthy interviews all season. 

Welp. This season happened. Let’s hope it never happens again. Only possible way they could do another short season could be with contestants we’ve seen before and have DWTS experience. I’m still hanging onto hope that James Hinchcliffe will come back!! 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, UGAmp said:

Only possible way they could do another short season could be with contestants we’ve seen before and have DWTS experience. 

I'd be okay with that. Either have previous winners compete against each other, or have contestants who made it to the final four/three, or something. That could be fun. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, UGAmp said:

I’m still not a fan on Erin. She seems to mess up all the time or has no idea what’s going on and just shrugs like “Whoops. I’m still adorable”. I didn’t watch other seasons with other ladies in her role but there has to be someone better out there who doesn’t produce such cringeworthy interviews all season. 

Erin has always had a major problem with malapropism. She does it on DWTS and she does it in sports. However, she seems to have a great relationship with Tom and I would take her 100 times over either Samantha Harris or especially Brookebot Burke. 

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Jenna immediately burst into tears once she and Adam were announced winner and made the reaction/winning moment all about her, as per usual. I don't know how much credit Jenna thinks she can award herself for this win when she only had to choreograph two ballroom dances and a short ballroom battle and that was enough to get the win. She didn't even choreograph the contemporary herself. And she had a partner that was going to win when the cast was announced no matter what he did. 

Tonya's continued insistence on making herself the victim infuriates me and as a David Cook/American Idol fan I was more than a little ticked that she got the Magic Rainbow song for her first dance.

Can Chris, Josh, Jennie and Adam come back for a regular, ten week season? Chris/Witney and Josh/Sharna can stay in their partnerships, if they must, but Adam and Jennie deserve different partners.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Toonces464 said:

Erin has always had a major problem with malapropism. She does it on DWTS and she does it in sports. However, she seems to have a great relationship with Tom and I would take her 100 times over either Samantha Harris or especially Brookebot Burke. 

My main problem with Erin is that she's harsh and brash and her voice hurts my ears.  Bring back Samantha.  At least she made me laugh. :) 

• Love 7

I keep rewatching Adam's freestyle, and I see what Jenna was trying to do.  She was clearly trying to do a SYTYCD type routine that would get lauded for its innovation over there.  Where she went wrong is this number didn't remotely showcase Adam in any real way, or not in a good way.  As per usual in all things Jenna, the number showcased her and her movement over Adam and Adam couldn't keep up with either her or the background dancers.  So his movement wasn't nearly as sharp or crisp or strong as it needed to be.  I get where she was going in trying to be different and innovative, but I still think you need to start from finding something that will package your celeb in the best way and that wasn't it.  It wasn't about Adam.  Also I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but the lighting was awful.

• Love 15

I did not see Val C. in the audience to watch Jenna(&Adam) win....I would have thought he would be there to cheer her on(I only saw him at the 1st show).  Maybe he will show up tomorrow at GMA in NYC?

(edited)
8 minutes ago, spanana said:

I keep rewatching Adam's freestyle, and I see what Jenna was trying to do.  She was clearly trying to do a SYTYCD type routine that would get lauded for its innovation over there.  Where she went wrong is this number didn't remotely showcase Adam in any real way, or not in a good way.  As per usual in all things Jenna, the number showcased her and her movement over Adam and Adam couldn't keep up with either her or the background dancers.  So his movement wasn't nearly as sharp or crisp or strong as it needed to be.  I get where she was going in trying to be different and innovative, but I still think you need to start from finding something that will package your celeb in the best way and that wasn't it.  It wasn't about Adam.  Also I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but the lighting was awful.

So well said.  Adam deserved better.  

Who would have thought Tonya would have the best freestyle of the night.  It seems Sasha knows how to choreograph for his partner.  

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 7

I liked Adam's routine, although it was an obvious rip off of her and Mark's kpop routine from her season. However, it wasn't a great freestyle. Jenna outdanced Adam, he wasn't as sharp, and they weren't in sync. Definitely not their best work. But it didn't bore me... and the other routines did.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did not see Val C. in the audience to watch Jenna(&Adam) win....I would have thought he would be there to cheer her on(I only saw him at the 1st show).  Maybe he will show up tomorrow at GMA in NYC?

I was shocked we didn't see Val rush the stage after the announcement.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Is the Maks/Val/Peta tour still going on? That might be why he's not there. I'm sure there will be crowing on social media.

Yeah, this was underwhelming. I had a feeling Adam would win. I voted for Josh and Sharna in past weeks but couldn't get to vote in time tonight. This must be the first time a couple won with a terrible freestyle. 

• Love 3

Tonya's was the best freestyle of the night and I did like josh but it wasnt anything wow about it. What I liked about Tonya's is for a woman damn near 50 to go out there and do what she did was amazing. She clearly is still in great shape even tho she is on the bigger side now, I have to give credit where credit due. 

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

Oh yes, I just realized that no one lifted the awardees on their shoulders. Also the MBT looked quite a bit smaller and lighter than other MBTs.  Usually they need 2 hands to hold it but Jenna was easily holding it in 1 hand while hugging people.

Also as of 1158pmEST Val hasn't tweeted.  DanceWithMe tweeted out a congrats but nothing from Val. Hmmm. Maybe he's in flight?

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Maya S said:

Maks, Val and Peta's tour recently ended and according to his Instagram, Val was there.  He may have been backstage.  

OK. I'm surprised he wasn't shown in the audience. He must've wanted to give Jenna the spotlight because the C family hates publicity. lol

• Love 2

Ugh. Why does Sharna always get screwed? Why can't Sasha catch a break?

That freestyle was shit. In plain English. Adam danced so well overall but boy Jenna choreographed something god-awful. It's embarassing that Jenna has a Mirrorball and the likes of Sharna and Sasha do not.

Though, perhaps this half-assed season gave ùs the victory we deserve. I have nothing but love for Adam, but he was given the easiest dances all season, and I don't recall a freestyle that bad - let alone a freestyle that bad actually winning. Let the record show I only started watching in season 18, so I never watched Bristol Palin or Bill Engvall.

Looking forward to a real season in the fall when I can vote my fingers off for Sharna, and hopefully Jenna is gone after week 1.

• Love 16

Oh, there were so many lol-worthy moments in this finale! "Magic rainbows" - I heard that song recently at a Subway or something. Somehow David Cook made it work, but the singer tonight, not so much. 

1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

To put a ring on it, right?? Because it needed to be even more about Jenna and the fam than it already was :)

I have no idea what was up with Adam & Jenna's last dance, but I liked their jazz (it had a lot more jazz - that is to say, it had jazz at all) than a LOT of DWTS "jazz", and it was cutely well performed. Don't know why he wasn't given more ballroom overall, since he could clearly handle it. But he was the best dancer out there, and in spite of the fact that it got tiresome to hear about, they had the most chemistry and the best partnership (with Sasha/Tonya a close second). 

Didn't someone almost drop Lindsay during that last group dance? Or something? Glad no one was hurt. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Though, perhaps this half-assed season gave ùs the victory we deserve. I have nothing but love for Adam, but he was given the easiest dances all season, and I don't recall a freestyle that bad - let alone a freestyle that bad actually winning. Let the record show I only started watching in season 18, so I never watched Bristol Palin or Bill Engvall.

I started watching the season Jennifer Grey won, the BP season. Her freestyle was some kind of Broadway thing and not that good, but it's good compared to whatever Adam/Jenna did. There were pro/contestant winners I didn't care for(Witney/Alfonso, Val/Rumer), but their freestyles were good. 

• Love 3

What a mess! The finale was so rushed (well the whole season was). They could have cut the rehearsal footage so we could have at least found out who got second place. They shouldn't have bothered even doing this short of a season. I am not too keen on all athletes either. Overall, I didn't enjoy much about it.

I figured Adam would win. That freestyle was terrible though.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

Oh, there were so many lol-worthy moments in this finale! "Magic rainbows" - I heard that song recently at a Subway or something. Somehow David Cook made it work, but the singer tonight, not so much. 

To put a ring on it, right?? Because it needed to be even more about Jenna and the fam than it already was :)

I have no idea what was up with Adam & Jenna's last dance, but I liked their jazz (it had a lot more jazz - that is to say, it had jazz at all) than a LOT of DWTS "jazz", and it was cutely well performed. Don't know why he wasn't given more ballroom overall, since he could clearly handle it. But he was the best dancer out there, and in spite of the fact that it got tiresome to hear about, they had the most chemistry and the best partnership (with Sasha/Tonya a close second). 

Didn't someone almost drop Lindsay during that last group dance? Or something? Glad no one was hurt. 

Witney was almost dropped durIng a lift by her partner, Chris (the hunky guy on the Olympian luge team).

Shout out to @stonehaven! I need more Tom B in my life too. He was on “Steve” today & I can’t wait to watch it later.

@UGAmp, I’m still waiting for James Hinchcliffe to come back too. Maybe he can take Erin’s job and co-host with Tom? 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Bridget said:

Witney was almost dropped durIng a lift by her partner, Chris (the hunky guy on the Olympian luge team).

Right! Reminded me of that time Val almost dropped Julianne. Dancing is dangerous!

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Boosey02 said:

What a mess! The finale was so rushed (well the whole season was). They could have cut the rehearsal footage so we could have at least found out who got second place. 

I said over in the "Idol" thread that given they'd devoted this entire evening to the finales of both shows, it would've made more sense to let "Dancing" and "Idol" each get a finale that lasted an hour and a half. Perhaps that could've allowed this finale to not feel quite as rushed, and it could've also cut down on some of the filler moments in the "Idol" finale as well. 

• Love 4

Maybe all of our pros are just too tired to post, but the most telling thing to me about how most pros/cast didn't see this as a real season, is all the lack of after celebratory and congratulations posts that usually get posted the second it's over.  The whole finale was so rushed that there was little to celebrate.  I don't think it's a comment on Adam or Jenna as I imagine everyone is fine with their win, except maybe Sharna (not based on anything except her track record of always getting so close and never quite winning), but just the whole ending doesn't feel the same and I'm sure the pros are aware of that.  Are they even having a GMA celebration or does nobody care?

• Love 4

Jenna and Adam's freestyle was a blatant recreation of a dance Jenna did on SYTYCD, choreographed by Mark Kanemura. It's one of my favorite dances ever done on SYTYCD. Tonight's freestyle was a sad imitation.

Tonya and Sasha had the best freestyle, in my view. Great acrobatics from a middle aged woman. I was very impressed with the dance, though I'm still not impressed with Tonya as a person.

I think DWTS hurt itself by having such a short, rushed, meaningless, annoying semi-season. Would have been better to just have one good season this year, I think.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Jenna and Adam's freestyle was a blatant recreation of a dance Jenna did on SYTYCD, choreographed by Mark Kanemura. It's one of my favorite dances ever done on SYTYCD. Tonight's freestyle was a sad imitation.

It reminded me of it last night, but watching this dance again yes, definitely, completely inspired by this. 

And such an odd choice, because why do a k-pop influenced thing when your song is Dominican/Latin?? Like, all the pieces didn’t even really fit together. I think Jenna shows some potential promise as a choreographer, but this just came off as a weird copy of someone else’s style.

And the Jazz was fine (it was at least actual jazz) but no acting out the words of the song plz, it makes me uncomfortable it’s so awkward. 

A very weird finale.

Oh. And Josh’s dance reminded me of a Very Fancy Monday Night Football intro. Like when they get Faith Hill or Carrie Underwood or Nickleback to come sing a song about football over a bunch of flashing lights and clips of football? It was basically that but more dancing.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm laughing so hard.  I knew Adam was winning obviously in this stupid 4 week season, but the fact that he won after that awful mess of a freestyle is even funnier.  Especially in a season where he did like 3 ballroom dances.  Can we just erase this season and pretend it never happened? I will laugh so hard if when the next regular season comes around, everyone just ignores this one.

Adam and Jenna would have won if they had done a freestyle of sitting in the middle of the dance floor playing patty cake.  (Oh wait, that might have been more entertaining than that mess they came up with).   The "fam" can add another mirror ball to their collection and I can just pretend that this "season" did not happen. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, spanana said:

That Freestyle has Mark Kanemura written all over it. I wonder if Jenna had some help from him with the choreography.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, spanana said:

Maybe all of our pros are just too tired to post, but the most telling thing to me about how most pros/cast didn't see this as a real season, is all the lack of after celebratory and congratulations posts that usually get posted the second it's over.  The whole finale was so rushed that there was little to celebrate.  I don't think it's a comment on Adam or Jenna as I imagine everyone is fine with their win, except maybe Sharna (not based on anything except her track record of always getting so close and never quite winning), but just the whole ending doesn't feel the same and I'm sure the pros are aware of that.  Are they even having a GMA celebration or does nobody care?

There were plenty of posts from Val! LOL

Not just the pros/celebs, but on the Internet too. There are so few posts here and on PureDWTS for a finale night!

Did you catch the Facebook Live Tom and Erin did before the show last night? They could not have been more disdainful and dismissive of this season or DWTS Jrs if they tried.

This season was pretty annoying. I really love Adam, but the treatment was odd. He danced a contemporary and a jazz in a 4 week season? They should have given Tonya the jazz if they had to give someone it since she had not done a contemporary the week prior. I actually think if this wasn't a shortened season someone else could have beaten Adam, especially with that bad freestyle he did. The voting window was so short on the actual finale night, that it didn't really matter how someone performed unless they tanked their scores. That freestyle was bizarre. I didn't get what they were going for (although now I see it was based on a routine from SYTYCD). Adam stated this dance showed who he was, and I didn't get that at all. I think his debut routine on the show was a better portrayal of who Adam is.

I actually preferred Tonya's freestyle the most. It was full of content and fun. It had a lot going on, and even if not perfect, embodied how a freestyle should be to me. Also I was very impressed with all of her cartwheels etc. Tonya is not that young to be doing some of those moves. I was impressed she was going for it with this routine.

Josh and Sharna's freestyle was okay. I liked the creativity of it, but didn't really like the dancing they were doing that much.

I'm honestly disappointed this season was so short. We had several great contestants. I think Josh and Sharna would have had a really nice bond over the full season. Adam and Jenna had a great connection too, and unlike others I would have kept them paired together. I know people say Jenna loves the attention, but honestly doesn't Adam too? They probably get along so well because they are similar. They had a great chemistry. Tonya, Mirai, and Chris were all other cast members who would have been great on a full season.

• Love 5

So clearly my husband and I are in a minority of 2 here.  < lol >  We thought Tonya's 'freestyle' was okay, but it was basically a disco number, and while it was nice to see her do some gymnastics, she didn't do them terribly well.  So it was enjoyable, and I figured she'd get all 10s because that's what they do in the finale.  We liked the drama of Josh's freestyle and thought he did a good job with it, so we were fine with all 10s for him as well.  But we absolutely loved loved loved Adam's freestyle!!  We found it highly entertaining, very different, far more original than what we usually see, so we were absolutely floored by Carrie Anne's idiotic comments and Len's sour grapes and could not believe they gave Tonya 10s and Adam 9s?  We just immediately assumed it was to create suspense by bringing the scores closer together, because we thought Adam's freestyle was hands down the best of the evening.  We loved his jazz as well, although we do agree with the comments that we would have liked to have seen him do more ballroom dances.  Contemporary last week plus jazz and freestyle this week was not good, despite that we enjoyed all of the dances.  He did beautifully with the couple of ballroom dances he did do, and I for one would have loved to see him tackle an Argentine Tango or a Paso.  I think with his acting skills and personality, he could have killed those.  Or a fun dance like a salsa or something.  But anyway, we were happy that he won.  Would have been okay with Josh as well.  

Congratulations to Adam and Jenna!  Despite my hating the shortened season and the ridiculously rushed finale, it was fun to watch you two.  

• Love 3

I’m not sure what that thing Adam did was. He looked lost in a group to me.

eh, don’t care.  This is the show that dragged the clunky Tonya to the finals at Mirai’s expense.  Lady you ain’t Sally Field and America doesn’t love you.  Barely tolerate your tired old ass.

Football player should have won.  They can spout off till the cows come home how figure skating skills are not an advantage.  FS uses steps and choreography which are similar to dance.  I doubt the pitcher woman or Football guy have ever performed to a choreographed number.

man are Adam and Jenna exhausting to watch.  Yes, he’s pretty and has glorious posture, but he’s too extra.  Sorry kid, you ain’t no Johnny Weir. 

• Love 6