Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Perfect Storm

• Start Topic

I just kept wondering why they didn't have any anti motion tablets like Dramamine on the boat so they could offer it to Kasey.  I felt bad for her because seasickness is no joke.  But then again, I don't know how she got this job having never been on a boat that actually leaves the harbor.  Still, not ONE person brought any thing for seasickness?  

On another note, I'm not finding this crew interesting at all.  There is no charisma amongst them, including Hannah, and then to start off with a bunch of low class, unfortunate looking ninnies that grated every nerve, made me not want to tune in to this season.  The young bosun was slightly interesting & charismatic, Maybe because of his position at such a young age.  Otherwise too much meh. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DelicateDee said:

I just kept wondering why they didn't have any anti motion tablets like Dramamine on the boat so they could offer it to Kasey.  I felt bad for her because seasickness is no joke.  But then again, I don't know how she got this job having never been on a boat that actually leaves the harbor.  Still, not ONE person brought any thing for seasickness?  

On another note, I'm not finding this crew interesting at all.  There is no charisma amongst them, including Hannah, and then to start off with a bunch of low class, unfortunate looking ninnies that grated every nerve, made me not want to tune in to this season.  The young bosun was slightly interesting & charismatic, Maybe because of his position at such a young age.  Otherwise too much meh. 

I think she said that she had taken something for the sea sickness but it wasn't working. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DelicateDee said:

On another note, I'm not finding this crew interesting at all. 

I agree. I have no idea who most of them are; can't tell them apart. And the deckhand girl keeps bitching about being asked to do stew stuff. She *did* say that her last job she was both stew and deckhand. So she has *experience* being a stew. Didya think maybe that's why Hannah is asking you? Because she knows you know how to do the job?

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, Neurochick said:

Too bad those heifers didn't fall off the boat.

I wanted the Princess of Puke to hurl all over the guests in that tiny boat.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, HunterHunted said:

Joao is a know it all dickcheese.

He is a smeghead .

Smegma:  n. dickcheese

Props to Red Dwarf for enlightening me.

Defending her crew to the lying guests. One of the few things I really liked about Captain Sandy.

Loved hearing her bemoan the idea of having dinner with these beasts.

I wonder how  much they have to pay men to have sex with them. God they were hideous in attitude and manner. Pure pigs.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

I agree. I have no idea who most of them are; can't tell them apart. And the deckhand girl keeps bitching about being asked to do stew stuff. She *did* say that her last job she was both stew and deckhand. So she has *experience* being a stew. Didya think maybe that's why Hannah is asking you? Because she knows you know how to do the job?

Right??? And it seemed like she was taking it as some kind of slight thinking she was only asked because she is female. But, apparently she’s the only person from the deck crew to be trained as a stew as well! So who else should’ve been asked? It’s like Bruno doing both last season so I don’t see it as sexist at all. I guess she should’ve only said she knew deck crew things if she was so against doing stewardess work as well. I thought the crying was over the top.

• Love 5
On 5/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, fifty8th said:

João needs to go, I don't think I can watch him for an entire season.

He is so gross! I can't believe he just blurted out her sex resume as soon as he returned to the boat--not cool.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Right??? And it seemed like she was taking it as some kind of slight thinking she was only asked because she is female. But, apparently she’s the only person from the deck crew to be trained as a stew as well! So who else should’ve been asked? It’s like Bruno doing both last season so I don’t see it as sexist at all. I guess she should’ve only said she knew deck crew things if she was so against doing stewardess work as well. I thought the crying was over the top.

Maybe she felt she was finally free of doing stew work and doing what she really wanted and was upset she was pulled back into it, she probably understands why but was upset in the moment. Being low person on the deck maybe she is worried she will be forced to switch position permanently  if Kasey cant get it together. But I think mostly it is probably that she is the only female deck hand which as we have seen is predominately a male position and she has probably worked hard to break out of the stew mold and is being pulled back in and thinks it will lose her some respect or something on deck.

• Love 7

I think the blonde lady doesn't know what the term "shellfish" means, honestly.  Because she said she LIKED shrimp, and then lobster, right?  But not the lobster bisque, which is puzzling.  So maybe she thinks shellfish is just oysters and mussels?  

I felt bad for Hannah...first charter, down a stew and she has these guests to deal with?  It doesn't seem like it's going to be a great season for her, based on the previews.

• Love 8
(edited)
15 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Didn't the chef help out with docking too last season?

That was on regular Below Deck. Matt the chef had to help them dock because the deck crew was completely untrained and Nico, the lead decksun--he wasn't quite a bosun or a lead deckhand, had given up. 

18 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

I think the blonde lady doesn't know what the term "shellfish" means, honestly.  Because she said she LIKED shrimp, and then lobster, right?  But not the lobster bisque, which is puzzling.  So maybe she thinks shellfish is just oysters and mussels?  

I started to wonder that too.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5
(edited)

Where's our nuts?" "We said we don't like nuts." "The pasta was great." "We told you no starch. Take it away." "We'll have spaghetti." "This lobster's delicious." "We hate seafood. Take it away." "We'll have the shrimp instead." "We don't eat eggs." "Make us a birthday cake."

While I realize these shows are heavily edited, however, if the blonde barf girl actually spent most of the charter incapacitated, if I was in her position, I couldn't possibly take a share of the tip. Maybe she did put in a lot of work because the rest of the crew didn't bat an eyelash over it.

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 9

I realize after 1-2 seasons, every reality show become so incredibly fake because everyone plays their "part", acting up for the cameras. That being said, why that group of women chose to be awful is beyond me. You'd think if you had cameras rolling you'd try to be on your best behavior. Or, you'd start out acting tough but them change your tune as the crew "gets their stuff together" by the end of the trip. But those women just remained petty, abusive, obnoxious, and ugly throughout (and why they thought rich men who own mega yachts would want them AT ALL is incredible delusion). 

And how that ditzy blonde survived life not understanding the words that come out of her mouth (even her friends confirmed what we all heard, that she kept going back and forth on what she can/can't eat) is beyond me. 

• Love 7

I like Hannah okay, but I like Kate of the original recipe Below Deck a lot more. 

These were definitely the guests from hell. I had no idea that serving an entree in a bowl was insulting. And that blonde chick had no idea what shellfish was or what she actually ate, lol. 

• Love 5
On 5/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, Neurochick said:

She probably doesn't eat cheese, or bread!

The blond airhead has major issues that are not food related.

She was too vague, and they were all contradictory in their preference sheets. She needed to put down "I like it  this way but not that way." 

My husband loves guacamole and salsa, spaghetti sauce, and carmalized roasted grape tomatoes but hates avacados, and tomatoes in every other form.  He doesn't throw a fit if they show up, he just flicks them on to my plate. 

I would specify that on his preference sheet and speak to the chef at the start of the trip. Done no issues.

The unreasonable, pretentious psycho hags didn't do that and only have themselves to blame.

• Love 9

The primary charter guest and the redhead were aggressive and rude.  I actually felt bad for the blonde, though.  The vibe I was getting from that scene was that she was wasted and easily confused, but that she herself was not aggressive and rude the way her friends were.  Just confused and then later frustrated, like a really drunk person might be when they don't understand what is going on.  In a group of less confrontational and annoying people it might have been a hilarious moment that they all laughed at but the tension level for this charter was way too high for that.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, missy jo said:

I like Hannah okay, but I like Kate of the original recipe Below Deck a lot more. 

These were definitely the guests from hell. I had no idea that serving an entree in a bowl was insulting. And that blonde chick had no idea what shellfish was or what she actually ate, lol. 

I'm sorry, but Kate lost me when should would brag about cutting corners and doing things half-assed/on the cheap. I get that these people work really hard on these charters, and sometimes you just have to make the best out of what's available. But Kate complains anytime she's asked to do anything and seems to hate her job. Hannah at least still takes pride in her work. 

Not sure what to think about Kasey at this point. I feel sorry for her being ill, and I can respect her life choices. That being said, she also genuinely appears to be a tease who craves male attention and likes telling men about her celibacy to get them excited. Do whatever you want in life, you only get one chance at it, just don't use it to manipulate people. 

• Love 3

Once again, I find the yacht (much like the guests) in poor taste. I don't know why I ever think we might actually see an elegant setting but this one seemed worse. The interior with the dark wood, mirrors, faux fur and shiny fabrics was too much (and not in a good way!)  It didn't (to me) seem tasteful or unique. Some of the seating areas looked like they were plucked directly from some third rate hotel chain. 

OTOH, I could imagine the cast of Vanderpump Rules going BANANAS cuz they really liked that cheap ass suite in Las Vegas so this would probably be the epitome of "luxury"

• Love 2
On 5/26/2018 at 6:36 AM, Nancybeth said:

I felt bad for Hannah...first charter, down a stew and she has these guests to deal with?  It doesn't seem like it's going to be a great season for her, based on the previews

Isn't this the stock standard beginning for every Below Deck season? There's always someone who can't do the job/ hasn't done the job/ is from another planet (Rocky)?

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Not sure what to think about Kasey at this point. I feel sorry for her being ill, and I can respect her life choices. That being said, she also genuinely appears to be a tease who craves male attention and likes telling men about her celibacy to get them excited. Do whatever you want in life, you only get one chance at it, just don't use it to manipulate people. 

What I saw in that scene was Joao pick-pick-picking at her statements, constantly bringing it back up in different ways, all the more so he could position himself to be her rescuer from this oh so dreadful fate. I saw her taking the currently least inflammatory way out by going along with it. She was, after all, stuck on land with just him at the time. At that age, I'd probably have been unsure of how else to handle it, too. Assuming editing hasn't skewed it all, etc. All Joao is doing is proving that he's stereotypical.

I don't think this is the right job for her regardless, but I guess we'll see. 

Right now the male deckhand whose name I can't remember but who seems to be kept in the background is the most interesting... especially when he asked Hannah her age, har har.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, HouseofBeck said:

What I saw in that scene was Joao pick-pick-picking at her statements, constantly bringing it back up in different ways, all the more so he could position himself to be her rescuer from this oh so dreadful fate. I saw her taking the currently least inflammatory way out by going along with it. She was, after all, stuck on land with just him at the time. At that age, I'd probably have been unsure of how else to handle it, too. Assuming editing hasn't skewed it all, etc. All Joao is doing is proving that he's stereotypical.

I don't think this is the right job for her regardless, but I guess we'll see. 

Right now the male deckhand whose name I can't remember but who seems to be kept in the background is the most interesting... especially when he asked Hannah her age, har har.

No doubt Joao is a prick, but my comments were more about Kasey's talking head segments. That's not her being creeped out, that's her delighted that a guy is pursuing her. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2018 at 4:36 PM, Nancybeth said:

Wait. Is that possible? Shellfish? I guess it's possible. But it's pretty self-explanatory, right? Are people getting dumber all the time, or what?

On 5/24/2018 at 9:40 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

He is so gross! I can't believe he just blurted out her sex resume as soon as he returned to the boat--not cool.

He's a bro-dude. And a bro-dude's gonna do what a bro-dude's gonna do!

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, slaterain said:

wow. just. wow. 

I feel stupider having read that. 

You're good, but I bet she feels stupider now. 

Gotta wonder what her BAC registered when she wrote that masterpiece.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, jennylauren123 said:

Wait. Is that possible? Shellfish? I guess it's possible. But it's pretty self-explanatory, right? Are people getting dumber all the time, or wh

Lots of people don’t actually know this and it cross generations. I have a shellfish sensitivity and a lot of service staff at high end restaurants aren’t clear about what is and isn’t shellfish.

(edited)

I was annoyed by the blonde but also felt sorry for her. I wonder if there were some eating disorder tendencies going on.  A lot of excuses why she wasn't eating, contradictory statements trying to justify it, and getting really upset when every one focused on her plate/what she said about food. Just sent up a bunch of red flags to me. Or it could just be that she was drunk and out of it. I mean they did have to wait extra long for the nuts to start soaking up all the alcohol that they were drinking. 

Edited by slaterain
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2018 at 10:13 PM, Fiero425 said:

Didn't lift a finger, went to the doctor the last day of charter, but returned in time to receive a tip! Unbelievable no one even groaned! ;-)

I was really surprised how that passed without comment - by anyone.  I sort-of expected her to say that she wouldn't feel right accepting her share since she hadn't done any work.   But she didn't and no one said anything about it - no snippy comments, no outrage, apparently no feelings that maybe she didn't deserve the same tip as the rest of them or no tip at all.  So I think it's pretty obvious that she did actually do some work, even though according to what we were shown, she did nothing at all.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:23 AM, dleighg said:

I'm having a lot of trouble telling them apart too.  They all blend into each other with none of the newbies standing out as interesting in any way at all.  Also - I understand the deckhand girl not being happy at having to do stew duties, but I assume that part of being a crew is pitching in where and when needed.    I would think that in this very unique occupation, being a team player is more important than in many others.  Uncomplainingly stepping in to help make things run smoothly is likely seen as a very admirable quality.  Bitching about it..........not so much.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:36 PM, Nancybeth said:

I felt bad for Hannah...first charter, down a stew and she has these guests to deal with?  It doesn't seem like it's going to be a great season for her, based on the previews.

It seemed pretty clear to me that she didn't know the meaning of "shellfish".  She was truly baffled when it was pointed out that she had said she doesn't like shellfish ("I don't!"), and yet shrimp and lobster were just fine.  Maybe she thinks if she's not seeing the shell, it's not shellfish?  I did feel sorry for her in a way because she did seem to be out of it for whatever reason.  But she was very exasperating.  She's the one who initially complained, then wasn't clear about what she would or wouldn't eat, and ended up upset that people were talking about it.  She turned herself into the center of attention by being so difficult and confusing that even these self-centered, horrid-to-the-staff bitches started saying exactly what most of us nice folks were thinking.  (OMG, just say what you want!)

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

So I think it's pretty obvious that she did actually do some work, even though according to what we were shown, she did nothing at all.

Or the editors just didn’t include it. In the past a lot of that complaining was saved for the talking heads. It was also an easy charter because it was the first but so wouldn’t have a lot of laundry and they had help in the interior. People complained they just didn’t tie it to the tips which they know are split evenly regardless.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Or the editors just didn’t include it. In the past a lot of that complaining was saved for the talking heads. It was also an easy charter because it was the first but so wouldn’t have a lot of laundry and they had help in the interior. People complained they just didn’t tie it to the tips which they know are split evenly regardless.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said it seemed pretty clear she actually did some work.   It was poor editing, IMO.  I think we all know that a lot is edited out, but it shouldn't be as obvious as it was in this case.

I also don't think it matters if it was an easy charter or not, and I don't think it was an easy one.  The first one is hard because they're all getting used to the boat, their duties, and each other, and in addition these guests were awful, demanding, and hard to please.   But even on an easy charter, I think it would be understandable if some of the crew was bitter about having to share a tip equally with someone who did very little or nothing at all.  Even if that's the rule, these people snip and complain about everything, so it was odd to me that we didn't hear any of them say anything about it.   Overall, IMO, it was poor editing.

Edited by DebbieM4
corrected spelling
On 5/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, Nancybeth said:

And doesn't like "game meat," which I'm pretty sure does not include duck.

Based on the intel here, I  just went to her FB page. She actually went to culinary school!! WTF?

• Love 1
On 5/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, annewithaneee said:

I like that Captain Sandy defended her crew, but...is it just me, or is she still really socially awkward? Like it felt as if there were far smoother ways to handle that whole situation.

Of all of those terrible, awful women, I actually felt a little sorry for the blonde woman. She seemed both embarrassed and confused over the food stuff. She wasn't being belligerent about it. I'm not sure what she was going through, but she was going through something, and wasn't in her right mind. It seemed far easier to just sweetly ask her what she'd like made for her than to go round and round questioning her various likes and dislikes and showing her the preference sheet. I mean, yeah, it's nice to get justice on an annoying customer, but it felt like surely there were far easier and smoother ways to go about it. And it was weird that nobody commented on her clear inebriation (or something else....something was going on there) in at least the talking heads, as they have in the past where "vegans" get wasted and suddenly want chicken nachos at midnight.

I agree with all of this; additionally, I realize that these guests were horrible, but I'm surprised anyone books a cruise after seeing this crew. They're so nasty and hateful about all the guests, and they complain incessantly. I know that these crew-members are not the types of people you'd see working at The Inn at Little Washington or even a Ritz Carlton, but wow---they seem better suited to sitting in the little box at the gas station ringing up gas and selling cigarettes. 

• Love 1