Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S02.E05: The Chalk Machine

Tyler and Cyrus embrace their outsider status. Alex fights to recover his lost memories. Ryan and Mrs. Baker look to Hannah's poems for clues.

It's funny that the moment Clay actually decides to be a decent, selfless guy and try to help Alex with figuring out the tapes, he gets distracted by the chalk and runs off. Man, that Clay! Such a swell guy! 

It was nice to get more Ryan, surprisingly. He's the one member of the ensemble who hasn't gotten as much development as he could, so I did like this being his episode, so to speak. I also liked seeing his flashbacks with Hannah. I never knew why they got along, but at least here, I could start to understand it. Also, the revenge on Ryan by Cyrus/Tyler? I felt like Marcus deserved it and much more last episode. Here, I actually felt bad for Ryan. It's not like Ryan's a standup guy, but they got me to kind of feel for him here. Though, it was nice for Tony and Caleb to come save him from the humiliation.

It was nice to see Hannah's dad Andy show up to the trial. I can see the tension between him and Olivia. I will say that Olivia's new friend, Jackie, rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm looking for her to do something wrong because I'm paranoid, or if she is going to do something later on.

I liked the Tony/Justin scenes a lot. It was good to see both boys talk about their troubles. I also enjoyed seeing more Sheri. 

New baseball player, Monty, is suspicious to me. I don't know what his deal is, but they keep showcasing him, as if he's going to be important eventually. 

Seriously, I'm not sure what they're going to do with Chloe. I'm not sure whether she's going to be complicit with Bryce's actions once she finds out about him raping girls, or if she'll be pivotal to taking him down. I also suspect that she could be the one sending everyone those threats. 

What I do like is that, since Porter actually making that house call to the Walkers, Bryce's mother seems to be knowledgeable and, more to the point, not acting like a shitty parent by pretending that it's not happening. She questioned Bryce in a previous episode, and then confronted Chloe here. I'm not sure how much she'll do if she gets proof, if she even does anything, but the fact that she's not completely complicit in his behaviour like Bryce's father is is nice.

Speaking of Porter, I'm not sure if I like his methods or I find him to be going about it the wrong way. I do appreciate him trying, but yeah, his arrest at the end didn't surprise me.

I like a lot of the friendships portrayed, but I'm hoping for more female friendships. I feel like they've been seriously lacking. Which is why the scenes between Jessica and the new girl character (Nina?) was nice.

• Like 4

Zach's mom slut shaming Hannah made me roll my eyes. So Hannah kissed Justin once, kissed Alex once, kissed Jessica once, kissed Courtney once, went on one failed date with Marcus, and drunkenly kissed Clay at a party. She had sex with none of them but somehow this counts as being involved with half the people in her class.

I get that Tony wanted to let Justin go outside, but why did they have to walk around the block. Why didn't they just sit in Clay's backyard since his parents were both at work? Why risk being seen? Heh, I did love them playing cards and betting with the little plastic game pieces. I'm assuming they're from some nerdy game in Clay's room that neither Justin nor Tony know how to play.

Clay's continuing jealousy annoys me. Besides, as Hannah pointed out, we don't choose who we fall for.

Poor Olivia. Five months after Hannah died and Andy has already moved on to a new girlfriend with a little girl. New insta-family! I love that she let Ryan see her crime board though.

One thing I will say in Chloe's defense is that getting bruises on the upper arm like that is pretty common for cheerleading and gymnastics so I don't think she was necessarily lying about that (although it's possible that Bryce gave her some of those bruises when he grabbed her in the previous episode and cheerleading is a conveniently true excuse). My sister was a gymnast and a cheerleader and she often had bruises in weird places. The same is true of dance and some other performance arts (aerial silks, hula hooping, poi, lyra, etc). I still don't trust her, but I don't think that this was a lie. And from what we've seen of her with Bryce so far, he hasn't been abusive towards her so it's possible that he's one of those guys who puts on a nice face and then people like his past girlfriends are shocked when he's accused of being a rapist.

I'm not sure what her deal is with Jessica though. The less skeptical side of me wants to believe that Chloe is just one of those people who truly takes her role as captain of the team seriously and is trying to create a good team atmosphere. One girl on my dance team would make us little Christmas tree ornaments every year (and she wasn't even the captain). Some people are just like that, always trying to foster a feeling of family. Another part of me thinks that she is one of those girls who makes a huge effort not to be jealous about any girls her boyfriend has been involved with (and I'm using "involved with" very loosely here) because she prides herself on not being that bitchy girlfriend. But the cynical part of me thinks that Chloe knows the truth and is part of Bryce's gaslighting scheme. I'm still waiting for her to get one of the other girls to drop Jessica during a stunt.

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

New baseball player, Monty, is suspicious to me.

FYI - Monty isn't new. He was around in S1. He and Alex got into a fight in the episode about Hannah's Valentine's Day date with Marcus. Scott Reed is the new jock.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

FYI - Monty isn't new. He was around in S1. He and Alex got into a fight in the episode about Hannah's Valentine's Day date with Marcus. Scott Reed is the new jock.

Ah, gotcha. I don't know why I thought Monty was new; I guess I forgot most of season 1 and, thus, Monty in general.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ah, gotcha. I don't know why I thought Monty was new; I guess I forgot most of season 1 and, thus, Monty in general.

Honestly, Monty isn't that memorable. He's seen hanging around with Bryce and the other jocks but he doesn't have a prominent role. The newer guy Scott kind of looks like him too which doesn't help. Monty's really only memorable because he and Alex fought. Scott's only memorable because Clay asked Tony about him at the beginning of S2 (Tony's amazingly descriptive answer was "The baseball player? He plays baseball and he's friends with Bryce. That's what I know."). Other than that, neither of them have really been in the forefront so I don't blame you for forgetting Monty!

• Like 2

Hannah's dad moving on that fast feels really disrespectful to me. I can understand the marriage not surviving. I think I read somewhere that statistically, many marriages don't survive the loss of a child, and Olivia has really thrown herself into the lawsuit so I could see how that could alienate Andy. They likely have different ideas about moving on. But to move onto a new serious relationship only FIVE months later (and odds are good that the relationship is at least a few months old) is like ... OUCH. Did he meet her at the funeral? If I were the new girlfriend, I'd be giving incredible pause. Actually, knowing myself as well as I do, I would probably straight up ask him if he was trying to use my daughter to replace the one he lost, because that's not fair to the kid.

16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I like a lot of the friendships portrayed, but I'm hoping for more female friendships. I feel like they've been seriously lacking. Which is why the scenes between Jessica and the new girl character (Nina?) was nice.

I agree. I don't think any of the female characters have close female friends as of now, which is really a shame. One of the things I liked about the movie Lady Bird is that the two boys that the main character dates end up being relatively unimportant, but her relationship with her best friend ends up being really important. I think the female characters could use some good girlfriends without boys gumming up the works. (I don't trust Chloe. I don't necessarily think she'll be harmful to Jessica, but I also don't think she's the kind of friend Jessica needs.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The newer guy Scott kind of looks like him too which doesn't help.

I’ve mixed them up so often I’ve been second guessing myself if they’re two different characters or not. 

• Like 5

I agree so much about the lack of female friendships. The writers could have had Courtney tutor Sheri and Jessica, as both had just come back to school after a long hiatus. And they could have helped Courtney find a girlfriend. A female version of Clay and Jeff.

Edited by memememe76
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 1:36 PM, Last Time Lord said:

I’ve mixed them up so often I’ve been second guessing myself if they’re two different characters or not. 

Oh man, SAME

• Like 1

Olivia has a Murder Board! And is sharing it with people!

I was glad to see more of Ryan, and more of his thought process as to why he published Hannah's poem. I do think he had at least some good intentions with doing that, even if it went very wrong, and some of it was certainly to boost his magazines profile. He did a good job at the trail too, and I think he made some good points in Hannah's favor. The revenge Tyler tried to get on him seemed rather misplaces. There are so many worst people around here than Ryan. 

I really liked the scenes of Justin and Tony hanging out, playing some game they clearly made up, talking about their issues, and walking around. They're a fun combination, and they already seem to get each other and feel for each others issues. 

When Clay was yelling at Ghost Hannah for liking Justin, I was getting a serious Nice Guy vibe from Clay. "Why did you like these others guys! You should have only ever liked nice humble me you bitch!" I know he is still grieving, and he is still a young teenager with a LOT of shit going on, but he has been working my last nerve with his Hannah obsession this season. And of course, when he actually shows some empathy and compassion for poor Alex, he instantly runs off to deal with his Avenging Hannah obsession. 

I really hate that lawyer that the school hired. She is just so freaking smug, and her whole defense seems to boil down to "Hannah was a bitchy slutty hoe bitch who deserved to die" and her strategy seems to be "berate teenagers until they break down if they're not singing to my tune,, and get pissed if they dont", and she just seems to take so much pleasure in it. It would be one thing if this was just her job and she was putting in a strong defense, but she is just so seemingly happy to tear down this dead girl, its messed up.

• Like 9

On 5/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, tennisgurl said:

When Clay was yelling at Ghost Hannah for liking Justin, I was getting a serious Nice Guy vibe from Clay. "Why did you like these others guys! You should have only ever liked nice humble me you bitch!" I know he is still grieving, and he is still a young teenager with a LOT of shit going on, but he has been working my last nerve with his Hannah obsession this season. And of course, when he actually shows some empathy and compassion for poor Alex, he instantly runs off to deal with his Avenging Hannah obsession. 

OMG, yes.  He totally sounded like he belonged on /r/incel or wherever the MRA types hang out on reddit.  Were we supposed to find him sympathetic?  I was curious so I looked up the writer.  It was written by Nic Sheff, who is male.  This is the only ep he has written but he was the story editor last season.   Clay is really being so horrid this season and I really am not sure how we are supposed to be viewing him.

I like ghost!Hannah's snark but otherwise the interactions don't really work.  It kind of smacks of them just wanting to give KL something to do.

• Like 3

Watched this episode last night and I'm still recovering from THE BOOBIES. I don't know but I just wasn't expecting that moment from this show. For a moment I thought I had somehow slipped into some bizarre Game of Thrones Universe with technology LOL.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And from what we've seen of her with Bryce so far, he hasn't been abusive towards her so it's possible that he's one of those guys who puts on a nice face and then people like his past girlfriends are shocked when he's accused of being a rapist.

The way I saw it, In the previous episode, Bryce was being a bit forceful with her when they were in his pool house/guesthouse. He forced her up against the door and locked it so she couldn't leave after she said, "This isn't happening." She told him to get away from her and he mocked her, but, it didn't look consensual to me. She didn't force the issue I think out of fear.

On 23.5.2018 at 2:13 AM, tennisgurl said:

To be fair to Clay here, ghost Hannah is just him hallucinating. So what she is saying is coming from his brain. So when she says "we don't chose who we fall for", that is him knowing that fact. He is conflicted. He loved her. He's angry that she killed herself and that she made bad decisions that drove her to do it. But he also understands that everybody makes bad decisions. He's working through this in his own messed up way.

On 23.5.2018 at 2:13 AM, tennisgurl said:

I really hate that lawyer that the school hired. She is just so freaking smug, and her whole defense seems to boil down to "Hannah was a bitchy slutty hoe bitch who deserved to die" and her strategy seems to be "berate teenagers until they break down if they're not singing to my tune,, and get pissed if they dont", and she just seems to take so much pleasure in it. It would be one thing if this was just her job and she was putting in a strong defense, but she is just so seemingly happy to tear down this dead girl, its messed up.

I don't even know how she thinks that is a good strategy. I would assume the jury would hate her. They might just award the Bakers a few million for the school board hiring a bully as their lawyer alone. I mean afterall if they hire bullies, they probably don't do anything against them in their schools either...

On 14.7.2018 at 10:35 PM, ShortyMac said:

The way I saw it, In the previous episode, Bryce was being a bit forceful with her when they were in his pool house/guesthouse. He forced her up against the door and locked it so she couldn't leave after she said, "This isn't happening." She told him to get away from her and he mocked her, but, it didn't look consensual to me. She didn't force the issue I think out of fear.

Nah, she was into that powerplay thing. I think the show has proven that they show when something isn't consentual a lot more clearly.

Bryce is still a fucking rapist and he probably would have raped her too, had she not consented, but this time it wasn't rape.

• Like 1

Most of you won’t remember, but writers didn’t adress something major. First of all in episode 1 Tony is burning a page along with the note Hannah left behind with the tapes and later we found out in the next episodes that Ryan maybe has given it to him. Also when Ryan was on trial we get to see a flashback in which Ryan was at Hannah’s house and he steals 2 pages from her diary, the one is the poem Ryan had published and the other maybe was the page he gave to Tony and burned it. ( It’s not clear if that was the specific page Ryan gave to Tony but we get to assume it ). And most importantly Ryan visits Hannah’s home and Olivia had been reading again Hannah’s diaries in which Hannah mentions the Clubhouse and someone wearing a leather Jacket. Olivia assumes that the guy with the leather jacket was Justin and she asks Ryan about it, and he replies “he could be”. In the same episode Tony says to Justin “don’t you dare puke on my leather jacket because I’ll kick your ass”

I am sure Tony is hiding something and Ryan knows about it, considering the meeting they had after Ryan’s testimony where Ryan tells him that he said nothing about him on court.

What do you think??

• Like 1