Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S02.E07: The Third Polaroid

Alex blows up at Bryce. Someone blackmails Marcus. Clay testifies about a night he and Hannah spent together. Jessica experiences a flashback.

Jessica was not having a good day, was she? I understand her being upset at Alex, just like I can see that Alex made a mistake but didn't mean anything by it. He clearly has a lot of pent up anger and has been dealing with it, as Jessica has in her own way. So it was interesting to see both characters struggling. Besides being best friends, they've also been dealing with similar memory loss issues and different types of trauma. It's interesting to see both characters dealing with similar issues but for different reasons.

That scene in the arcade was really, really good. Both Miles and Alisha did a great job in that scene.

I can see why Nina's a good mentor for Jessica, but also why Nina hadn't told her boyfriend about her own rape. It was clear that she didn't want to tell her boyfriend, especially five months into the relationship. It's something that she didn't feel like she wanted to tell at that point. 

The Jeff flashbacks here made me realize that I miss Jeff. He was truly a really great guy. He made questionable decisions himself, but he had a good heart. 

Yeah, not feeling bad for Marcus in getting played by Bryce. I don't know what he really expected with doing Bryce that favor, but it was obvious that Bryce would never reciprocate. 

Yep, I'm getting a feeling on where the Tyler/Cyrus stuff is going. Cyrus has been enabling Tyler more than helping him. Also, the Chloe/Bryce scene was interesting. I'm now starting to lean toward her being Bryce's liability, rather than his asset. She didn't seem impressed with him wanting to have sex during the movie, but she seemed to be struggling with telling him no. 

I really wish I felt for Clay more, but I think I'm sick and tired of him. He's jealous about everything, it seems. And now he posted Hannah's tapes for everyone to hear. That...was a mistake on his end. People are going to be pissed when they find out it was him, and I won't blame them. 

• Like 5

God, I miss Jeff

I... may have cheered when Alex screamed that Bryce was a rapist in a crowded hallway. Put Jessica in an awkward situation, but it was nice to hear a character say it out loud. 

I don't remember the name of the actor that plays Alex, but this has been his season. He has just been killing it!

If Clay did what I think he just did... I’m shocked it didn’t happen sooner. 

23 hours ago, HollyG said:

Please tell me I'm not the only one worried about Tyler. 

I’ve been worried about him since he started hanging around with Cyrus. 

• Like 4

Yay, Jeff! Although I get that Jeff has shown himself to be a trustworthy person, it bothered me a little that Clay told him that the poem everyone had been talking about was Hannah's. Way to respect her privacy, man.

Clay leaving all these messages for Skye (who has not called him back once) is starting to seem like his version of Hannah's tapes - not that he's specifically calling anyone out, but he seems to be using Skye's voicemail as his own little form of therapy, to put his thoughts out there into the ether when there are real live people who would talk to him in person right now if he would just say these things to him instead of calling a girl who dumped him and is in rehab.

Why didn't Alex just call or text Tyler and tell him to come back after Zach and Jessica told him to leave the arcade? Kids, you have all this technology available at your fingertips so use it!

Clay's jealousy is still annoying me. First it was about anyone who had ever touched Hannah and now he's jealous of Justin too? Dude, what was he supposed to do? Sit in your room by himself while you were at Alex's birthday party? God forbid he watch tv downstairs with your parents like a normal person.

Poor Alex. He feels so alone and so broken and he has so much anger and no one to direct it towards so he's having these outbursts with the people who love him.

• Like 8

I also didn't understand why Alex didn't override Zach and Jessica. Alex seemed totally fine with Tyler coming when they saw him in the pharmacy. CONTRIVANCE.

• Like 3

I was initially annoyed Alex did not invite Tyler in the first place, but when I saw the party where only 4 non-family members were present, I sort of forgave him. Only his closest friends came. Would kids their age still like a party at the arcade? I think a simple dinner at Olive Garden could have sufficed. 

1 hour ago, memememe76 said:

Would kids their age still like a party at the arcade?

I feel fairly safe in saying that most 17 year old kids would not want a birthday party like that, but the arcade was his dad’s idea and I think Alex didn’t want to hurt his dad’s feelings by saying he had no interest in doing that for his birthday. He  clearly feels a tremendous amount of guilt and feels that he has let his parents down so I think he was just humoring them. It helps that he knows that Jessica and Zach are supportive friends who won’t gove him shit for having a birthday party that’s better suited to a 7 year old. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I was initially annoyed Alex did not invite Tyler in the first place, but when I saw the party where only 4 non-family members were present, I sort of forgave him. Only his closest friends came. Would kids their age still like a party at the arcade? I think a simple dinner at Olive Garden could have sufficed. 

I got the impression the party was more for Alex’s parents than for Alex. 

Something they probably thought they would never experience again, tried to recreate a happy memory, and just sort of overdid it

• Like 2

Even more than the Zach stuff in the previous episode, there’s no way that Clay (or Alex) would have heard Hannah say that she wanted to stop living and not have mentioned it with the all the tapes and guilt last season. I understand that you have to do some hand-waving when the writers have to go back and tell stories that didn’t exist, but I couldn’t get past that. 

I wish Alex had texted Tyler or sent Zach after him. I don’t even like Tyler and that broke my heart a little. 

I am not familiar with the actual drugs they consumed, but could Hannah have just forgotten about it? Also, I am pretty I missed this part, but how did the defense even know about the party?

48 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I am not familiar with the actual drugs they consumed, but could Hannah have just forgotten about it? Also, I am pretty I missed this part, but how did the defense even know about the party?

Clay asked Sherri if she said anything. She said no. Then he said “Maybe Leah (Jeff’s girlfriend) said something in her deposition.” So I suppose that’s what we’re going with. They never actually confirmed that. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:02 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Clay's jealousy is still annoying me. First it was about anyone who had ever touched Hannah and now he's jealous of Justin too? Dude, what was he supposed to do? Sit in your room by himself while you were at Alex's birthday party? God forbid he watch tv downstairs with your parents like a normal person.

Clay is a classic only child spoiled brat. He doesn't talk to his parents, shuts his door on them any chance he gets but the fact is, he's essentially been their whole life since he's an only child. So while he'll gripe about them bugging him and being all up in his life, he resents someone else getting any of their attention because their attention has always solely been focused on him. 

• Like 8

On 5/22/2018 at 4:53 PM, memememe76 said:

I am not familiar with the actual drugs they consumed, but could Hannah have just forgotten about it?

Molly can have several side effects/after effects:

The lab-created chemicals mimic the effects of MDMA; most of them are central nervous system stimulants that cause euphoric highs. They can also cause a rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, blood vessel constriction and sweating, and they can prevent the body from regulating temperature. Some of the chemicals have been reported to cause intense, prolonged panic attacks, psychosis and seizures.

After they wear off, the chemicals can cause devastating depression. Several of these compounds have caused deaths.

Some of the effects are not immediate:

MDMA's effects last about 3 to 6 hours, although many users take a second dose as the effects of the first dose begin to fade. Over the course of the week following moderate use of the drug, a person may experience:

• irritability
  • impulsiveness and aggression
  • depression
  • sleep problems
  • anxiety
  • memory and attention problems
  • Like 1

During the whole opener, I was like "oh boy, babies first drug trip" and it turns out I was right! Of course the school lawyer takes that and turns it into "Hannah was a druggie skank bitch with a bunch of druggie skank friends" because thats her whole entire argument. 

I cant really blame Clay or anything for not taking Hannah's suicidal thoughts after their Molly trip seriously. If I had a nickle for every time one of my high school friends, especially when tired or hung over, would say how much they wanted to die, I could pay off my student loans. Granted, in retrospect, I really should have taken those more seriously, and I've been very lucky that none of my friends actually went through with anything, but in hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Clay and everyone else could have done better, and listened to her more. Its kind of the whole point of the series. 

I admit, I did kind of snicker when Clay was saying how he has never bullied anyone ever, only for the lawyer to point out all the stuff he has done the last year (circling that picture of Tyler, keying Zachs car, getting Courtney out to Hannah's grave), and realizes that, yeah, that all sounds really bad when you line it all up. It reminded me of when someone listed all the pranks Jim played on Dwight over the years on The Office. Yeah, pranking Dwight seemed ok at the time because Dwight is such a pain in the ass, but listed out like that, it really does make Jim seem like a total dick. Of course, Clay isnt anywhere close to that level of self awareness yet. Yes Clay, please continue being pissed off and jealous at Justin, the homeless drug addicted abuse victim, for watching a movie with your parents, who you shut out at every turn. This seasons running theme, beyond the stuff carried over from last year, seems to be "Clay is really selfish". Even Ghost Hannah called him out on being obsessed with getting his own version of justice for Hannah, even if its not what Hannah would have really wanted, while ignoring the any people in his life that clearly need support, and are, at least for now, still alive. 

God I miss Jeff. So many creeps in this school, and yet poor, sweet, Jeff is the one who dies. It was nice to see how much Shari is still hurting over what happened, and how hard she is trying to make up for it. At least her and Clay at a nice conversation about it, without Clay blowing up at her. 

I feel so bad for Alex and Jess. They're both struggling so hard, and trying to be supportive, but are dealing with so much crap. Alex just has so much anger, and you can see how much everyone was hurt when he was screaming about wishing he had "done it right" when he shot himself.  

• Like 3

The school lawyer is absolutely disgusting. Smug, arrogant, condescending. I think the way that she crucifies each of these kids would offend the jury, make them (justifiably) hate her and hurt her side's case. At least pretend to show a little compassion and sympathy for these kids as you cross examine them. That would go a long way in trying to convince the jury.

Skye should delete Clay's number from her phone. He needs to get off her back and let her recover and not call her every ten minutes. But Clay is too selfish for that.

Tyler is really turning into a rotten human being. 

It's funny that I thought Justin was the most rotten of all of them (along with Bryce) in Season 1, but now I see him in a much more sympathetic light in season 2. Weird.

I can't explain why but Hannah's mom annoys me .. and why is she wearing that awful wig this season ? 

The over use of the F word is really distracting for me in this show . Every character says the it at least twice a sentence for pretty much no reason . 

Clay needs a hobby 

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 11:10 PM, Lady Calypso said:

The Jeff flashbacks here made me realize that I miss Jeff. He was truly a really great guy. He made questionable decisions himself, but he had a good heart. 

Yeah, not feeling bad for Marcus in getting played by Bryce. I don't know what he really expected with doing Bryce that favor, but it was obvious that Bryce would never reciprocate. 

Yep, I'm getting a feeling on where the Tyler/Cyrus stuff is going. Cyrus has been enabling Tyler more than helping him. Also, the Chloe/Bryce scene was interesting. I'm now starting to lean toward her being Bryce's liability, rather than his asset. She didn't seem impressed with him wanting to have sex during the movie, but she seemed to be struggling with telling him no. 

Jeff, we miss you!!!

Marcus was an idiot to think Bryce would help.

What I found interesting about the CHloe/Bryce scene was that he specifically--if hastily and perfunctorily--asked her for consent. I guess those little talks they've been having with the athletes are sinking in. Now they need to teach "enthusiastic consent" because Chloe was anything but enthusiastic.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:08 AM, truthaboutluv said:

Clay is a classic only child spoiled brat. He doesn't talk to his parents, shuts his door on them any chance he gets but the fact is, he's essentially been their whole life since he's an only child. So while he'll gripe about them bugging him and being all up in his life, he resents someone else getting any of their attention because their attention has always solely been focused on him. 

He's really getting on my nerves lately. That last scene, when he looked into the living room and said something snippy and the stomped upstairs--fuck off, Clay. Your parents are doing you a major solid by taking in Justin (as Mom said, she could've been in huge trouble as an officer of the court). And poor Justin--he has his flaws but his context is quite tragic--do you really begrudge him this taste of normal family life? Fuck off, Clay.

On 5/28/2018 at 3:50 AM, BigDfromLA said:

The school lawyer is absolutely disgusting. Smug, arrogant, condescending. I think the way that she crucifies each of these kids would offend the jury, make them (justifiably) hate her and hurt her side's case. At least pretend to show a little compassion and sympathy for these kids as you cross examine them. That would go a long way in trying to convince the jury.

Skye should delete Clay's number from her phone. He needs to get off her back and let her recover and not call her every ten minutes. But Clay is too selfish for that.

The school's lawyer is making a strategic mistake, IMO. She herself comes off as a bully--forcing a girl to out herself? That smug demeanor? She could elicit the same testimony while appearing professional, regretful but ultimately believable. I doubt if a real-life jury would respond well to her approach.

WTF, Clay??? Let Skye recover in peace! She is not your tape recorder!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

He's really getting on my nerves lately. That last scene, when he looked into the living room and said something snippy and the stomped upstairs--fuck off, Clay. Your parents are doing you a major solid by taking in Justin (as Mom said, she could've been in huge trouble as an officer of the court). And poor Justin--he has his flaws but his context is quite tragic--do you really begrudge him this taste of normal family life? Fuck off, Clay.

As sad as Justin's life is and bratty though Clay may be, let's also remember that Justin was nothing but a complete asshole towards Clay for no reason and threatened his life numerous times in Season 1. This season clearly is all about redeeming Justin but I'm not ready to be all pissed at Clay that he isn't always the most heart warming towards Justin. 

• Like 3

I thought this was just a devastating day for Clay, making him recall things he had forgotten about or at least put out of his minds.  The first thing was not writing letters to Hannah.  The way her summer worked out with Zack, she did not need the letters during the summer.  However, when everything went to hell I think she would have remembered getting the letters and that would have meant something to her.  When Clay approached her at the lockers on the day she committed suicide, I think Hannah came very close to telling Clay what was going on.  While the pain she was in obviously had a large effect on her decision not to talk to him, I think the decision was also heavily influenced by her beliefs that:  (1) no one cared enough about her to go out of their way for her and (2) she was such a bad person that they should not have cared about her.  Its possible that her recalling Clay care enough about her to write her might have been enough to tip the scales towards telling him.  Recalling his failure to write her must have filled him with shame, particularly when he remembers her remark about him being her only friend.  [As an aside, I don't find it very realistic on the part of the writers to have Clay not write Hannah.  If a girl you are in love with, infatuated with or simply have a crush on ask you to write her, you write the damn letters.  I don't think he would necessarily have brought himself to confess his deepest thoughts, particularly about her, but he would have at least written a letter or two filled with chit-chat.]

The other, more obvious thing he remembered was her suicidal statement while coming down from Molly.  While his failure to take note can possibly be excused as just something that she was saying because she was coming down and did not really mean it, her expression while making the statement was so devastating that it seems it would be hard for anyone to believe she was not at least partially serious.  However, at least one character trait of Clay that was consistent up to when Hannah died was his obliviousness.

Clay's singleminded pursuit of "justice" for Hannah was at least partially motivated by his feeling towards her.  However, I think it may have been more motivated by the guilt he felt because he realized there was so many ways he could have helped her but didn't.  His testimony forced him to remember two additional instances when he let her down.

• Like 1

On 24.5.2018 at 12:31 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yeah devestating depression, sure... If you take it all the time and fuck up your serotinin levels. You won't get devestating depression from one time use.

Also it's true that it is a big problem that you don't know exactly what's in it. That is why drugs should be legalised.