Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: The End

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Late to the party . . . could Enoch have some sort of tech that could save Coulson?  After all, he has biotechnology sufficient to freeze Fitz for years.

Even if he did by his people's "prime directive" since Coulson's death would not be an extinction level event he is not supposed to act on it. The other sentient Chronicom who shielded some humans in his dying act as the Hydra bomb went off is a gray area. He was not using some alien tech but just jumping on a grenade like Steve Rogers did at the SSR assessment camp, only this time it was live.

edit to add: 

I guess SHIELD could force him to give up the tech, but that would be a mutiny against Director MacKenzie, maybe something the Framework Hydra agents, Leopold and May might do.

Edited by Raja
additional
3 hours ago, Froippi said:

I believe Both Fitz and Coulson should not be brought back for season 6 it takes away from the Season 5 Finale but this is my opinion 

I agree that both Fitz and Coulson shouldn't come back. Because it will take away from the Season 5 finale. I Also think that bringing either character back would be a lot like what they did with Ward. 

• Love 2
On 6/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, TVSpectator said:

I agree that both Fitz and Coulson shouldn't come back. Because it will take away from the Season 5 finale. I Also think that bringing either character back would be a lot like what they did with Ward. 

Fitz has to come back. HAS TO. 

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Fitz has to come back. HAS TO. 

No Fitz doesn't need to come back, in my opinion. He still did what he did during Season 4 and he technically still could go all "Fitzler" on the team the moment he wakes up. Not only that but the show went out of its way to kill him off, much like how they went out of their way with killing Ward off mid-Season 3 and brought back the actor/character later on  (which in my opinion, was a mistake) playing Hive (using Ward's body) and in Season 4 a Ward from the Framework. Bringing Fitz back and/or Coulson would be a lot like bringing Ward back, in my opinion. It will be repeating the same thing they did with Ward (also bringing Talbot back wouldn't be so great either. Maybe in a flashback, alternate timeline/parallel universe type thing all three can come back but overall, let the dead stay dead, IMO), but with a character that we were supposed to root for even when he tortured Daisy, he should stay dead just because it will be hard to erase Daisy's emotions of being tortured by him, in my opinion. So, in my opinion, all three characters from this season (Fitz, Coulson, and Talbot) should stay dead. I know that Coulson isn't dead yet but honestly how long can he be at  "death's door" before finally passing on or will this character get a miraculous recovery via a deus ex machina the moment Season 6 starts?

Also, death on this show has no meaning and it seems to be that this is the show that has brought back more dead characters than the other MCU properties, IMO.

Edit:

Not to mention this is one criticism that the MCU seems to have ignored mostly, in my opinion. They brought Coulson back/resurrected for this show, then they had Loki do his "death scene" in Thor: The Dark World, Nick Fury faked his own death in The Winter Solider, Elektra was brought back from the dead by The Hand in Daredevil Season 2 and also in The Defenders, etc.... Death just doesn't carry the same emotion nor has the same emotion as in other works, for the MCU in general (for me) and this show seems to have highlighted it the most, in my opinion. I get that the source material for most of these shows/movies are actually comic books and that is a trope that is found in comic books BUT this show is the only show that wasn't based on a comic book. Instead, they had the comic book base on this show (it was reversed) and I feel like the show shouldn't fall into the same comic book tropes that are not loved by everyone. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

No Fitz doesn't need to come back, in my opinion. He still did what he did during Season 4 and he technically still could go all "Fitzler" on the team the moment he wakes up. Not only that but the show went out of its way to kill him off, much like how they went out of their way with killing Ward off mid-Season 3 and brought back the actor/character later on  (which in my opinion, was a mistake) playing Hive (using Ward's body) and in Season 4 a Ward from the Framework. Bringing Fitz back and/or Coulson would be a lot like bringing Ward back, in my opinion. It will be repeating the same thing they did with Ward (also bringing Talbot back wouldn't be so great either. Maybe in a flashback, alternate timeline/parallel universe type thing all three can come back but overall, let the dead stay dead, IMO), but with a character that we were supposed to root for even when he tortured Daisy, he should stay dead just because it will be hard to erase Daisy's emotions of being tortured by him, in my opinion. So, in my opinion, all three characters from this season (Fitz, Coulson, and Talbot) should stay dead. I know that Coulson isn't dead yet but honestly how long can he be at  "death's door" before finally passing on or will this character get a miraculous recovery via a deus ex machina the moment Season 6 starts?

Also, death on this show has no meaning and it seems to be that this is the show that has brought back more dead characters than the other MCU properties, IMO.

Edit:

Not to mention this is one criticism that the MCU seems to have ignored mostly, in my opinion. They brought Coulson back/resurrected for this show, then they had Loki do his "death scene" in Thor: The Dark World, Nick Fury faked his own death in The Winter Solider, Elektra was brought back from the dead by The Hand in Daredevil Season 2 and also in The Defenders, etc.... Death just doesn't carry the same emotion nor has the same emotion as in other works, for the MCU in general (for me) and this show seems to have highlighted it the most, in my opinion. I get that the source material for most of these shows/movies are actually comic books and that is a trope that is found in comic books BUT this show is the only show that wasn't based on a comic book. Instead, they had the comic book base on this show (it was reversed) and I feel like the show shouldn't fall into the same comic book tropes that are not loved by everyone. 

They have already said Frozen Fitz is out there - he will be back. They have already laid the groundwork. Coulson may be gone, but Fitz never was. That "death" was done to hit the reset button for the Fitz we all know and love. Can't wait!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

They have already said Frozen Fitz is out there - he will be back. They have already laid the groundwork. Coulson may be gone, but Fitz never was. That "death" was done to hit the reset button for the Fitz we all know and love. Can't wait!

Yeah, that is why I didn't like Fitz's death because there was a reset button but how would the rest of them even know how to even find Fitz? I know they found Enoch's spaceship but clearly Simmons, May, Mack. Coulson and Daisy won't know how to fly it. Also, still Fitz shouldn't be brought back. It's already bad enough that they decided to destroy a character (twice, IMO) just because they know there is a "restart button" somewhere "out there" (and it doesn't somehow resolve Fitz from crossing moral lines and failure to do even a basic aspect of his job from Season 4 nor they way I understood how his "Fitzler persona" is still in him waiting to come out again).  Not to mention that there is no emotional weight to his death because we all knew it wasn't going to last. This is why they shouldn't bring back Fitz. It totally undercuts everything they wrote in SEason 5 finale but I do believe that the writers just don't care about what they write anymore. 

As with bring back their dead characters (and Fitz would be like bringing back Ward on to the show, IMO), there is no meaning because its either like the case of Mace, Rosalind, and Will where their deaths are easily forgotten by the living and have no long-term impact to the characters or to the long-term story (nor do the characters seem to even care about these characters anymore or even remember them, IMO) or it's like Ward, and they just keep on resurrecting the character in some way as in an overused trope. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, that is why I didn't like Fitz's death because there was a reset button but how would the rest of them even know how to even find Fitz? I know they found Enoch's spaceship but clearly Simmons, May, Mack. Coulson and Daisy won't know how to fly it. Also, still Fitz shouldn't be brought back. It's already bad enough that they decided to destroy a character (twice, IMO) just because they know there is a "restart button" somewhere "out there" (and it doesn't somehow resolve Fitz from crossing moral lines and failure to do even a basic aspect of his job from Season 4 nor they way I understood how his "Fitzler persona" is still in him waiting to come out again).  Not to mention that there is no emotional weight to his death because we all knew it wasn't going to last. This is why they shouldn't bring back Fitz. It totally undercuts everything they wrote in SEason 5 finale but I do believe that the writers just don't care about what they write anymore. 

As with bring back their dead characters (and Fitz would be like bringing back Ward on to the show, IMO), there is no meaning because its either like the case of Mace, Rosalind, and Will where their deaths are easily forgotten by the living and have no long-term impact to the characters or to the long-term story (nor do the characters seem to even care about these characters anymore or even remember them, IMO) or it's like Ward, and they just keep on resurrecting the character in some way as in an overused trope. 

They wouldn't have to "find it" Enouch traveled with him to the future. What is 70 for basically an endless lifespan of watching humanity?  My guess was since the prophecy sis not turn out to be true Enoch can just come back and resume his primary mission since the extinction level event was averted.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Raja said:

They wouldn't have to "find it" Enouch traveled with him to the future. What is 70 for basically an endless lifespan of watching humanity?  My guess was since the prophecy sis not turn out to be true Enoch can just come back and resume his primary mission since the extinction level event was averted.

If they are on a new timeline what if Fitz was never frozen then? But still killing Fitz off (I guess it was for  shock value) just so he can reappear for,  isn't something that I would want to see. 

But still, assuming that there is a frozen Fitz somewhere, they have to find Enoch, in the present and explained that the future was changed, by them.  Then they have to go to where Enoch is keeping the frozen Ftiz (which looks like their will be one), unfreeze him, and/or have Enoch do it all and drop Fitz off on Earth. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

If they are on a new timeline what if Fitz was never frozen then? But still killing Fitz off (I guess it was fall or shock value) just so he can reappear for,  isn't something that I would want to see. 

But still, assuming that there is a frozen Fitz somewhere, they have to find Enoch, in the present and explained that the future was changed, by them.  Then they have to go to where Enoch is keeping the frozen Ftiz (which looks like their will be one), unfreeze him, and/or have Enoch do it all and drop Fitz off on Earth. 

I am a bit confused about how things would work out, but if they can get Fitz back and get him back on track I would be very happy. Obviously I'm biased because I love Fitz, but he really is a good character and was always a valued member of the team. I don't think it would be at all like Ward because Fitz developed some demons from his time in the Framework, but he was never really evil. I would go so far as to say that Fitz is a beloved character where I would not describe Ward that way. Ward was always evil, while Fitz just had his mind twisted up by Aida. The fact that what happened in the Framework tortured him so much shows that he is a good person at heart. Plus, there is an argument to be made that Fitz had to do what he did in order to break the time loop and thus help to facilitate saving the world. Each thing that happened led to something else which ended up stopping the Earth's destruction.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I am a bit confused about how things would work out, but if they can get Fitz back and get him back on track I would be very happy. Obviously I'm biased because I love Fitz, but he really is a good character and was always a valued member of the team.

If the assumption is that there is a spare Fitz, somewhere out there on ice, then there is probably another copy of all of them 70+ years into the future. Because the spare Fitz would have to be frozen and the only reason why Fitz wanted to freeze himself was that he wanted to go the future to be with them. So that is what I am basing my assumption on how they think things can be "resolved" with Fitz but still, it's a reset button and he would still have his "inner Nazi persona" of Dr. Mengele Hydra Fitzler still being part of Fitz. 

I don't think it would be at all like Ward because Fitz developed some demons from his time in the Framework, but he was never really evil. I would go so far as to say that Fitz is a beloved character where I would not describe Ward that way. Ward was always evil, while Fitz just had his mind twisted up by Aida. The fact that what happened in the Framework tortured him so much shows that he is a good person at heart. Plus, there is an argument to be made that Fitz had to do what he did in order to break the time loop and thus help to facilitate saving the world. Each thing that happened led to something else which ended up stopping the Earth's destruction.

But still, it would be a lot like Ward. The writers went out of their way to kill Ward (who had his "fan club" on places like Reddit but kept on bringing him back. It's going to be a lot like what they did with Ward, IMO, once they bring back Fitz. I really don't care if Ward is evil or Fitz is not supposed to be evil (even though he crossed moral lines in Season 4 and in Season 5 and I kind of actually do believe that Fitz isn't a nice guy at all nor is he the "good guy". He isn't on the same level as Ward but he isn't good either. But that shouldn't be the excuse to have the writers pretty much do the same thing they did with Ward to Fitz. That is why I feel like Fitz should stay dead (but like you I know they will bring Fitz back). 

• Love 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

If the assumption is that there is a spare Fitz, somewhere out there on ice, then there is probably another copy of all of them 70+ years into the future. Because the spare Fitz would have to be frozen and the only reason why Fitz wanted to freeze himself was that he wanted to go the future to be with them. So that is what I am basing my assumption on how they think things can be "resolved" with Fitz but still, it's a reset button and he would still have his "inner Nazi persona" of Dr. Mengele Hydra Fitzler still being part of Fitz. 

But still, it would be a lot like Ward. The writers went out of their way to kill Ward (who had his "fan club" on places like Reddit but kept on bringing him back. It's going to be a lot like what they did with Ward, IMO, once they bring back Fitz. I really don't care if Ward is evil or Fitz is not supposed to be evil (even though he crossed moral lines in Season 4 and in Season 5 and I kind of actually do believe that Fitz isn't a nice guy at all nor is he the "good guy". He isn't on the same level as Ward but he isn't good either. But that shouldn't be the excuse to have the writers pretty much do the same thing they did with Ward to Fitz. That is why I feel like Fitz should stay dead (but like you I know they will bring Fitz back). 

Eh, yeah I know, Brett Dalton is hot and had the fans, and the show sure did their darndest to keep Ward around, even throwing the shippers a huge bone when they had him as a good guy in the Framework. That was a surprise for sure, so I have to give them that, even though you could argue that it was a bit of pandering to the stans. 

I just don't believe that Fitz is really who he was in the Framework. I think going through that, plus the stress of the world's iminent destruction with no time to breathe in between is what lead to his less than honorable (but still likely necessary) actions while trying to break the time loop.

I see why some may not be up in arms about the thought of no Fitz they way I am, but to me the show just would not be the same without him. I feel that way about Daisy too, incidently. They, as well as Coulson, bring something unique to the show that will/would be hard to forget and impossible to replace.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

If they are on a new timeline what if Fitz was never frozen then? But still killing Fitz off (I guess it was fall or shock value) just so he can reappear for,  isn't something that I would want to see. 

I don't know how you break down an "original" event while in a loop. You never have perfect godlike knowledge of that just what the story shows to suggest a loop. The team all act like they came back from the future. Elena telling Yo-Yo so she would try to save the world and they had to let Coulson go being the only one with an actual plan to break the loop. Fitz who traveled to the future the old way came back with them and then married Jemma. At the end when the loop is broken May is seen breaking the white monolith shard which brought Deke back to the past.

10 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

To be fair, they undercutted Fitz's death after the final commercial break, when every single person was nonchalant about his death all because "oh, we'll just wake up Cryo Fitz". So the emotional weight of his death was really only for his death scene before everyone moved on and shrugged it off like he just got a boo-boo. 

• Love 5

All of this stuff about Fritz and Cryo Fitz and time loops and time travel...I just really hate time travel stories. It is a huge deux ex machina all the time. Still, I want Fitz back but just wish this last season was different. A big UO is that I had my issues with the Framework arc as well.

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

To be fair, they undercutted Fitz's death after the final commercial break, when every single person was nonchalant about his death all because "oh, we'll just wake up Cryo Fitz". So the emotional weight of his death was really only for his death scene before everyone moved on and shrugged it off like he just got a boo-boo. 

Your right but that, in my opinion, is just another example of why the writing on this show sucks so much. 

• Love 3

I think they have to get Fitz back from space because otherwise, he is floating out there and could be found/revived at some other time, which would not really be fair to him.  That is why Fitz had to die in this loop, because he's the only one with a 'loose end.' 

So I guess Robin's visions will change now, with the new future.

and Im sure Graviton will return again.  

I really hope that next season, Yo-yo stops whining.  She was nearly her own self-fulfilling prophecy.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I really hope that next season, Yo-yo stops whining.  She was nearly her own self-fulfilling prophecy.  

Well, she was coming from a unique perspective. She actually talked to her future self and was desperate to prevent things from happening.

When May like a dumbass (at the time) broke the odium, I felt Yo-Yo's pain and desperation. I thought Natalia Cordova-Buckley killed it in that scene. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

She actually talked to her future self and was desperate to prevent things from happening.

And then messed up several things, like killing Ruby, which not only allowed for Talbot to eventually asorb the gravitonium, but also put General Hale completely against them.

(edited)

I guess I can go further back in time and say that Ruby cutting off Elena's arms caused Elena to kill Ruby add other chain of events. Or, I could say Whitehall impregnating Hale caused Ruby's birth and soldier training... Or Hale joininhg Hydra U.

I guess I am saying that I will never blame Elena for slicing Ruby's throat. Hell, she left her with stumps for arms.

Edited by Enigma X
So many typos!
  • Love 9

Oh i agree that Yo Yo was definitely doing it for revenge, and I have no problem with that reason.  But Yo Yo kept saying that she was doing it because Ruby was going to become the Destroyer of Worlds and there was little evidence that was really going to be the case.

• Love 2
On 6/6/2018 at 2:22 PM, Hanahope said:

And then messed up several things, like killing Ruby, which not only allowed for Talbot to eventually asorb the gravitonium, but also put General Hale completely against them.

I still think that Simmons actions were the ones that lead up to the whole thing with Ruby and the Hydra Machine because IF Simmons didn't break Fitz out of prison and decided to go out on their own to "investigate" then they won't be captured and they wouldn't have been able to even fix the machine. Which would then lead to Ruby not getting the absorption from the gravitonium. 

• Love 3

Everybody is so convinced that Jemma can't possibly be pregnant because she and Fitz never had time to "do anything" -- there was that one scene about mid-season where they were in a locked room or something with nothing to do *nudge nudge wink wink* and they started kissing and the scene cut away.  I figure some sexy times followed. 

YMMV.

7 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Everybody is so convinced that Jemma can't possibly be pregnant because she and Fitz never had time to "do anything" -- there was that one scene about mid-season where they were in a locked room or something with nothing to do *nudge nudge wink wink* and they started kissing and the scene cut away.  I figure some sexy times followed. 

YMMV.

Wasn't Simmons drinking alcoholic around the end of this season or even in the Season 5 finale?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Wasn't Simmons drinking alcoholic around the end of this season or even in the Season 5 finale?

Yes I believe she had a drink at the end when they were toasting Coulson.  But, how much time did S5 even cover?  I don't think it was more than a few weeks' worth of time, was it?  She could be pregnant and it's just too early for her to know it.

I'm not saying I think she IS pregnant or that I even hope she is, don't misunderstand.  Just that it's not impossible, and we did get a throwaway scene that suggested that had sex at least once during all this madness.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Yes I believe she had a drink at the end when they were toasting Coulson.  But, how much time did S5 even cover?  I don't think it was more than a few weeks' worth of time, was it?  She could be pregnant and it's just too early for her to know it.

I'm not saying I think she IS pregnant or that I even hope she is, don't misunderstand.  Just that it's not impossible, and we did get a throwaway scene that suggested that had sex at least once during all this madness.

Well, she assumed that she was going to have a daughter sometime in the future with Fitz. And if she thought she was pregnant then why drink? Hopefully, they will remove this "Fizt Simmons baby" from the plot and forgot about it. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Finally caught up with this episode and the full season. Good grief. That was a lot of dark.

But no matter what, Fitz has always been my favorite character, so when Mack held his hand and called him Turbo, I sobbed like a big baby. And I cried until they were all toasting and talking about goodbyes, and all of a sudden I realized they were talking about frozen Fitz and I was like -- stops short in the midst of crying, as my brain caught on to what they were saying -- "Whaaaat--?" 

I can't believe I forgot about frozen Fitz. Thank goodness. Of course this means they'll find new ways to torture him. Which will kill me all over again. Still, I'm glad he's not necessarily gone for good, or I may have stopped watching the show.

Side note: Daisy has never been my favorite character. In fact, in season 1, I couldn't stand her. But I cried watching her tell Coulson how much she loved him. That moment was really a long time coming, and beautifully done.

And yay for May and Coulson going "parasailing." 😉

(P.S. I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind because as the episode ended, I suddenly realized, "Hey! Did I miss them showing Deke disappear?" I thought maybe I'd been crying for Fitz too much to catch the moment of his dissolve, so I'm glad to read here that no one else saw it either and I'm not crazy.)

• Love 1

The last two episodes were a lot better than the previous few because the contrived bickering between the protagonists conveniently disappeared. They even bothered to ask Coulson if he wanted to be saved. Sure, it makes very little sense that everything was swept under the carpet but I will take it since most of the quarrels and back-stabbings were very forced to begin with. If the show isn't going to show any real consequences for all the mutinies and conflicts between the members of SHIELD, why even bother with them? If they wanted a real impact they could have kept Fitz locked after Ruby's death and then had him die heroically and actually stay dead.

Finding the other Fitz as a way of resetting his death will probably be pretty silly but then again I hate time travel paradoxes in general. If there is another version of you around when you travel through time shouldn't there be another versions of all the protagonists? Okay, they traveled twice but why should this matter? And wouldn't finding Frozen Fitz means he never gets to the future to help them go back in the first place? My head hurts. Also, pretty convenient that nobody bothered mention Frozen Fitz until the fakeout in the finale. Though I did chuckle at Jemma being so sure that they would find Fitz - after all, those two crazy kids have been through so much already thanks to "the universe", so this is just more of the same for her, really.

Such a big deal was made about gravitonium and yet Talbot was defeated pretty easily. We can't defeat him without him swallowing some bait, nah, actually we totally can, Daisy just needs a bit of doping. I hate "take a third option" endings. They almost always feel cheap and undeserved. I actually thought the fight would continue after Talbot was sent to space and for something like ten minutes believed Fitz's death and everything after it was somebody's hallucination and was wondering when the fight would resume. 🙂

Does changing the timeline mean Robin's mother might live longer? I hope so despite loving all the scenes with Robin and May.

Mack is a fine choice for a leader as long as the plot doesn't force him to suddenly forget about all the people he has killed and spew nonsense like "We turn the other cheek". And Daisy actually had the self-awareness to realise that she is not a good leader. Not that she is any worse than Coulson, if you ask me, which undermined the whole thing quite a bit.

It felt really fan service-y when they showed up, announced they were SHIELD and everyone was totally relieved and happy to see them. Last time I checked SHIELD was an outlaw vigilante organisation. The visuals were impressive, though, I am not see they were worth having half of the season take place in the exact same dark corridors.

I prefer Coulson and May as friends but I am happy that she decided to finally respect his wishes and stay with him until his demise. Or rather, until the inevitable miraculous cure but that's television for you. I just hope there won't be a repetition of "Let's force Coulson to live against his will"

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

🙂

Does changing the timeline mean Robin's mother might live longer? I hope so despite loving all the scenes with Robin and May.

It felt really fan service-y when they showed up, announced they were SHIELD and everyone was totally relieved and happy to see them. Last time I checked SHIELD was an outlaw vigilante organisation. The visuals were impressive, though, I am not see they were worth having half of the season take place in the exact same dark corridors.

Presumably since the earth did not crack and the few survivors S.H.I.E.L.D. brought to the Lighthouse were not under Kree slavery Robin's mother would lead a natural lifespan  in that timeline where the loop was broken.

As for S.H.I.E.L.D. it was more the Inhuman Daisy being on the outs with the public due to a LMD attack. The rest were just unknown suits. To  Chicago cop dealing with Graviton and an alien spaceship was analogous to the NYPD figuring out what to do when Captain America took command. Someone as in Mac and a known agency took command as opposed to a cartoon figure from history who most did not know was back from the ice.