Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E19: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

Saw Caleb’s IG story of the two of them out having some ice cream. Looked like they were in the airport or a mall. Anyway Caleb narrates that some people had just approached them and said “hey, didn’t you guys just win American Idol” and he tells Maddie to share her response which was “Oh no, he didn’t. I did.” ?Good for her and kudos to him for being a good sport about it all. 

• Love 4
(edited)
8 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

Saw Caleb’s IG story of the two of them out having some ice cream. Looked like they were in the airport or a mall. Anyway Caleb narrates that some people had just approached them and said “hey, didn’t you guys just win American Idol” and he tells Maddie to share her response which was “Oh no, he didn’t. I did.” ?Good for her and kudos to him for being a good sport about it all. 

I agree. The way he has accepted her winning and him coming in second, speaks volumes about his character.  It's a real treat to see a young man with a selfless and giving heart. And no ego issues....I don't know much about him, but, he sounds like a keeper.  I know they're young, but, I wish them well. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11

I like Maddie.  She's a worthy winner, but she really is a female acoustic, folk pop WGWG in the mode of Phillip Phillips, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen.  That's how she will be marketed.  Her coronation song Going, Going, Gone is very reminiscent of Phillip's Home/Gone, Gone, Gone.

It's been pointed out that she would have been grouped with the WGWG male winners who performed the David Bowie tribute at the Idol finale 2 years ago.

• Love 5

Can somebody tell me the name of the rock song played over the recap of the season done at some point (maybe at the end?) of the finale?  It's something like "I'm Gonna Find Somebody to Call My Own."  I didn't have my phone on me to  Shazam it.  Thanks

25 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Can somebody tell me the name of the rock song played over the recap of the season done at some point (maybe at the end?) of the finale?  It's something like "I'm Gonna Find Somebody to Call My Own."  I didn't have my phone on me to  Shazam it.  Thanks

I can't remember hearing it,  but was it this one? I think they used this throughout the season. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLaiL9tk68

On 5/22/2018 at 5:46 PM, Kendra143 said:

I think Gabby was trying too hard to be Carrie Underwood version 2. She wasn’t believable. 

Agreed. I’ve only watched this season casually and sporadically but my reaction to Gabby was “a Carrie knock-off”.  Her Carrie Underwood week performance really emphasized it for me; it was like a mimic of Carrie. I think she has talent and the kind of look that I assume Disney would like, but she doesn’t seem to have an artistic style of her own. YMMV. 

• Love 3

I don't know country music but was Gabby also kind of channeling Miranda Lambert, or are Miranda and Carrie similar?  Gabby seemed to flip into the 'hard edged country girl gone bad' stage mannerisms pretty frequently.  

"I don't write about angels, Jesus, happy days, kids. I grew up on drinkin', cheatin', love gone bad," - A Miranda quote

I do think Maddie looks like Elisabeth Moss.  

On 5/24/2018 at 6:57 PM, tobeannounced said:

I kind of felt bad for Kayla and Dixie (I refuse to spell it with a Y) when Leann Rimes stole their thunder, but it wasn't like that was difficult to do. Leann looked good, but I wasn't sure who she was at first. I thought it was Colby Callait.

I've never heard of Gary Young, but I thought he and his song were damn sexy.

I thought their performance was awful with or without Leann.

• Love 7
(edited)

I like Maddie.  She's a worthy winner, but she really is a female acoustic, folk pop WGWG in the mode of Phillip Phillips, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen.  That's how she will be marketed.  Her coronation song Going, Going, Gone is very reminiscent of Phillip's Home/Gone, Gone, Gone.

I thought the same thing when I heard her coronation song. Smart of them to pick that song. And the Itunes version sounds way better. 

And I'm guessing she's more WGWU (white gal with ukelele) than WGWG. ;)

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
  • Love 6

She compared herself to Brook White and Crystal Bowersox.  

I didn't realize she had a blind audition for The Voice in 2015 and turned no chairs.  I read they made her sing Florence and The Machine's Dog Days.  

2 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

She compared herself to Brook White and Crystal Bowersox.  

I didn't realize she had a blind audition for The Voice in 2015 and turned no chairs.  I read they made her sing Florence and The Machine's Dog Days.  

And Caleb turned no chairs when he tried out for the Voice.  (No clue what he was asked to sing.)

5 hours ago, sinycalone said:

And Caleb turned no chairs when he tried out for the Voice.  (No clue what he was asked to sing.)

I didn’t know that and Mr.Ant and I have watched for several years. Do you recall the season? Apologize in advance if it has been mentioned, I need to catch up on my reading. 

24 minutes ago, AntAnn said:

I didn’t know that and Mr.Ant and I have watched for several years. Do you recall the season? Apologize in advance if it has been mentioned, I need to catch up on my reading. 

It was season 9, though I think any video of the audition has been taken down.

• Love 1
(edited)

I cannot believe that I completely forgot to play the WHO'S GOING TO WIN AMERICAN IDOL PREDICTION GAME!  It's so fun and TRUE!  Did you guys play it around here?  Are you familiar with the theory? (Please forgive me if it's been covered earlier. I didn't engage much until the finals.) ALL winners of AI have double letters contained in their names.  SO, Maddie (double Ds) had a great shot at it but, it could also have been taken by Gabby (more double Bs) and Caleb.  (double in his middle name and last name.)

In support of the theory past winners with double letters.  (Some have double letters in their first and last name. So, they are really ahead in the game. Like Scotty McCreery, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia Barrino, and Phillip Phillips)

Kelly Clarkson

Ruben Studdard

Fantasia Barrino

Carrie Underwood

Taylor Reuben Hicks (double in his middle name)

Jordan Brianna Sparks (double in the middle name)

David Cook

Kris Allen

Lee Dwyze

Scotty McCreery

Phillip Phillips

Candice Rickelle Glover (double in middle name)

Caleb Johnson

Nick Fradiani

Trent Harmon

Maddie Poppe.  

With double letters in her first and last name......Maddie had a great chance to win, but actually, Gabby Barrett had more of a chance with double letters in her first name and 2 double letters in her last name.  But, she comes in third with another double letter contestant in second, Caleb Lee Hutchinson.  

If they have another season of AI, I'll be back to play this. I think it's really fun. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, incandescent said:

@SunnyBeBe Didn't every contestant in the top 14 this year have a double letter?

TRUE!  So, it would have been a hell of a game!  lol 

Don't you think it's really odd though? I suppose just coincidental. 

(edited)
On 5/29/2018 at 9:02 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Don't you think it's really odd though? I suppose just coincidental. 

When you say double letter, to me that's LL, NN, etc, not a letter repeated in the name but not adjacent to it. I think there are too many names (and words in general) that fit into that category for it to be significant. However I DO think it's trippy that the majority of AI winners have actual double letters in their names. Interesting also that all the winners that don't have double letters were in the last four seasons of Fox AI, with the exception of Taylor. I guess they weren't true winners! Lol 

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Did anyone watch Live with Kelly and Ryan this morning?  They were supposed to have on the Encore Performer their viewers were to have voted on.

I saw a clip of Cade on this morning's show...sang and was interviewed.  I saw no other names mention, though.

(edited)

Yeah, I guess it could be called double letter or the same letter in the name.  Some are side by side and some not. But, if you don't have either, like a Emily Jane Smith......virtually, no chance of winning....lol.  But, I do think that the repeated double letters of so many of the winners is a rather odd, like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Scotty McCreery, Philip Phillips, Studdard, Cook and and now Maddie Poppe.  I'm not sure what to attribute it too, though.  Apparently, more people liked their vocals than the other contestants and they just HAPPENED to have that thing in their names.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

I saw a clip of Cade on this morning's show...sang and was interviewed.  I saw no other names mention, though.

That's disappointing to me as I wasn't a fan.  I was hoping for either Catie or Michael.  Thanks.

• Love 1

Maddie's performing on Kimmel tonight. I was wondering why they didn't have her the night of the finale instead of the Where Are They Now? segment, but this staggering of appearances might be better since it keeps her fresh in people's minds for longer.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure what to attribute it too, though.

I think it's just that many names have double letters so when you allow it to be any of the three names each person has, the odds are very good that any given person will have it.  Especially if it's not true 'double letters' but just 'two Es' or something.  

3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think it's just that many names have double letters so when you allow it to be any of the three names each person has, the odds are very good that any given person will have it.  Especially if it's not true 'double letters' but just 'two Es' or something.  

Point taken, but, if you eliminate all except the double letter side by side, that still means 12 out of 16 winners with that type name., or 75%.

My theory relates to consonant sounds. Twelve of the 16 winners have had either a "K" or a "B" sound in their names (not counting middle names). 

Naturally, the first and arguably most successful Idol winner is Kelly Clarkson! ?

• Love 2