Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E19: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

Regarding the various filler/hijinks:

Does the audience really think it's funny or amusing? 

I put it as exactly like giving someone one llama, and not knowing or caring that llamas are herd animals.

• Love 5

This show could have been 1 hour long with still too many hijinx in that one hour. I wish they'd have let each of the judges sing one song, each of the final two sing one song and then announce the winner. Jimmy Kimmel is an ass - can't stand him and he's not in the least bit funny anyway. Sanjaya - had enough of him in his season. Patti Labelle's voice isn't that great, but man doesn't she look good for someone who is going to turn 73 years old on Thursday????

But I thoroughly enjoyed the show for two very important reasons...(drum roll please and dim the lights...)

**Gabby not making the final 2 was EVERYTHING! She was so sure she was going to win the whole thing...took her down a peg. (Wasn't crazy about her to begin with but Sunday night when the judges finally tried to give her some constructive criticism, well let's just say if looks could kill...man she was indignant that they'd actually not say she was great. That was the icing on the cake for hoping she would not win.) And I'm sorry - her family is just a bunch of creepers.

**Caleb and Maddie announcing they were a couple. I think they are adorable together. I hope they can make it work with all the pressures they'll both have put upon them now. I would bet that even tho Caleb didn't win, we'll be hearing from him on country radio. I hope he sticks with that "old school voice" as Darius Rucker called it and doesn't fall into this "new country" type music like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, etc. 

• Love 9

I forgot all about the finale until I checked the DVR this morning to see what was new. NHL playoffs have a way of making everything else on TV unimportant.

I'm happy that Maddie won, and I don't mind that she's dating Caleb. But I cringed when she said she didn't care which of them won. Girl, 20 is too young to marginalize your own dreams for a guy. 

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I cringed when she said she didn't care which of them won.

She said that in a prior episode, too, when there were even more of them left.  I understand it's nice to be laid back about it and also invested in the success of your peers, but it's a little jarring on reality TV where they're usually encouraged to act like it's WIN OR DIE.  

(edited)

I'm very surprised that they finished in the order I wanted them to.  That almost never happens.

Though winning can be a mixed blessing because you get tied into an AI record deal, I do think Disney and Hollywood Records might be a good fit for Maddie.  Let's hope they give her the support she deserves.

Maddie was all sorts of charmingly awkward about that whole girlfriend announcement.  She does seem like the kind of girl who probably normally likes to keep her dating life private. 

I'm happy that Maddie won, and I don't mind that she's dating Caleb. But I cringed when she said she didn't care which of them won. Girl, 20 is too young to marginalize your own dreams for a guy. 

From her interviews this morning, it sounds like she genuinely did not expect to win.  I took her statement as the kind of thing you say when you are trying to keep from setting yourself up for a big disappointment by getting your hopes up too high.

6 hours ago, DallasGypsy said:

** Several of the top 10 sounded better and had more stage presence now than they did while competing.  They should be able to fine tune that more during the tour.

4 hours ago, TeeMo said:

I think that often happens on the finale once the pressure of competing is off and they usually give all the contestants something right in their wheelhouse to do. I thought Michael’s performance with Oleta Adams was particularly great because it was what he feels comfortable with. It was fun to see everyone get to do something like that. I thought the Catie/Katy duet was great too.

I did really enjoy the Catie/Katy duet, but the one who impressed me the most was Jurnee, who really held her own next to a veteran performer like Nick Jonas.  She came off more like an invited star than a contestant.  All this despite the fact that I wouldn't have thought "Jealous" was so much in Jurnee's wheelhouse.  But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if she can sing almost anything.  She certainly has the voice, so if she can keep improving as a performer, she could go far.  Jurnee stands to benefit as much as anybody from the summer tour.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 9

I didn't watch most of the finale, but switched over after The Terror ended on AMC just in time to see Ryan crush Gabby's massive sense of entitlement .  Made me feel a lot better, that did.  And then Maddie actually won!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, incandescent said:

Michael and Cade's would-be coronation singles have been released.

I actually like both of them! Michael's has a chill ambience to it while still delivering very solid vocals. Cade reined in the growl to make a more enjoyable listening experience (but the song is too short for a single).

I like both of them, too, but I really like Cade's.  It's actually my favorite out of all the coronation songs, because it's the type of music I listen to.  Honestly, though, I would have never guessed that was him, until the end when his growl kicks in.

I guess that answers the question of where he would fit in music today (if he continues to make music like that), because that would fit right in on the rock station I listen to.

• Love 4

I wasn't that invested in anyone, but I liked Maddie the best of the top 10 or so, and I'm glad she won.

I was mainly coming on here to complain about that gibberish version of Over the Rainbow.  Oh, they sang it just fine.  The problem is that it's the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (aka "Iz") version of the song, which sounds really nice with the ukulele and everything, but has the lyrics rearranged so that they make no sense.

Here are the actual lyrics of the first verse: 

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Here are the lyrics from the Iz version:

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby
Blue birds fly
Dreams really do come true ooh ooooh

The Iz version sounds lovely if you don't listen to the words, but I just can't get past that, and it drives me crazy.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, paul4295 said:

I wasn't that invested in anyone, but I liked Maddie the best of the top 10 or so, and I'm glad she won.

I was mainly coming on here to complain about that gibberish version of Over the Rainbow.  Oh, they sang it just fine.  The problem is that it's the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (aka "Iz") version of the song, which sounds really nice with the ukulele and everything, but has the lyrics rearranged so that they make no sense.

Here are the actual lyrics of the first verse: 

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Here are the lyrics from the Iz version:

Way up high
Once in a lullaby
Blue birds fly
Dreams really do come true ooh ooooh

The Iz version sounds lovely if you don't listen to the words, but I just can't get past that, and it drives me crazy.

I completely agree with you. I don't like that version, no matter how pretty it sounds with the ukulele. It makes no sense, it doesn't rhyme, and there's no reason why they can't sing the original lyrics. Hate it! My favorite AI version of Over the Rainbow is Katherine McPhee's. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yes!  No wonder when they announced the two finalists Maddie said, "I don't care who wins."

I'm like, "Girl you so will when you're 35 and this guy is presumably no longer in your life." Maddy didn't sing that great in the finale--so glad it didn't hamper her.  my favorite performance of the entire season was her "The Bear Necessities."  Just a delightful performance.

Did not care for Gabby.  Didn't like her hair/ hair color, her dresses were too short for her figure, and did not like her performance stylings (hand gesture and postures).  I assume her Mom abandoned her or the like?  If not, she was pretty harsh to her, always talking about her Dad and never Mom.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, llewis823 said:

This show could have been 1 hour long with still too many hijinx in that one hour. I wish they'd have let each of the judges sing one song, each of the final two sing one song and then announce the winner. Jimmy Kimmel is an ass - can't stand him and he's not in the least bit funny anyway. Sanjaya - had enough of him in his season. Patti Labelle's voice isn't that great, but man doesn't she look good for someone who is going to turn 73 years old on Thursday????

But I thoroughly enjoyed the show for two very important reasons...(drum roll please and dim the lights...)

**Gabby not making the final 2 was EVERYTHING! She was so sure she was going to win the whole thing...took her down a peg. (Wasn't crazy about her to begin with but Sunday night when the judges finally tried to give her some constructive criticism, well let's just say if looks could kill...man she was indignant that they'd actually not say she was great. That was the icing on the cake for hoping she would not win.) And I'm sorry - her family is just a bunch of creepers.

**Caleb and Maddie announcing they were a couple. I think they are adorable together. I hope they can make it work with all the pressures they'll both have put upon them now. I would bet that even tho Caleb didn't win, we'll be hearing from him on country radio. I hope he sticks with that "old school voice" as Darius Rucker called it and doesn't fall into this "new country" type music like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, etc. 

This is too "dang" cute:

http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/05/22/caleb-lee-hutchinson-maddie-poppe-relationship-secret-american-idol-interview/

• Love 2

Yes!  No wonder when they announced the two finalists Maddie said, "I don't care who wins."

I'm like, "Girl you so will when you're 35 and this guy is presumably no longer in your life."

I actually LOL'ed at this, thank you!  (Also, if either of them are reading this:  TALK TO TIM MCGRAW AND FAITH HILL AND FIND OUT HOW THEY MAKE IT WORK.  Also, congratulations!)

Other thoughts:  This show isn't just about finding the best singer, but about who can put on a show under the worst possible pressure--because occasionally they will have to do that.  That's one reason this show churns out so many post-Idol successful people.   I think many of them gave their best performances of the season tonight (though Maddie and Caleb have been the most consistent.) 

I'm also glad Bebe Rexit and Lee Ann Rimes and OK, also Katie Perry were there to remind people that this show isn't the only shot to fame. 

Getting nostalgic over what seemed like a month felt a little weird--but for them it's been longer, since the earliest parts were taped last fall.

Bringing Kat McPhee back for Somewhere Over the Rainbow would have been great too.

Good luck, everyone; if I don't see you on another show board, have a great summer/fall/Guy Fawkes Day/etc!

• Love 6

I have read that some fans felt it was unfair to have a 3- person finale...since the country vote would be split by Caleb and Gabby, etc.  

1. That argument assumes AI would have known these 3 contestants would be in the finale months ago when the format was created....or at least that there would be 2 country artists and one from another genre.

2.   And assumes that any real country fan would classify Gabby as a country singer.  (NO way!)

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I assume her Mom abandoned her or the like?  If not, she was pretty harsh to her, always talking about her Dad and never Mom.

Poor Mama Barrett was right there next to Daddy Dearest, clapping for her.

• Love 4

So I watched AI from day one back in 2002 or whenever it was, through all the seasons on Fox. Got burnt out the last few seasons due to JLo but that's another story! Anyway, I really only half watched this season or less than half watched after Hollywood week, and didn't care for the changes to the show, along with my annoyance with Katy Perry, so tuned out awhile ago, but did watch last night. But I am very curious about the comments several have made on Gabby's parents....can anyone explain? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, parrotlover said:

So I watched AI from day one back in 2002 or whenever it was, through all the seasons on Fox. Got burnt out the last few seasons due to JLo but that's another story! Anyway, I really only half watched this season or less than half watched after Hollywood week, and didn't care for the changes to the show, along with my annoyance with Katy Perry, so tuned out awhile ago, but did watch last night. But I am very curious about the comments several have made on Gabby's parents....can anyone explain? Thanks!

I don't think it's anything but speculation by people who don't like Gabby.  She talks about how she's indebted to her father for being her manager and supporting her all along in her singing career.  He's a maintenance man for Goodwill and cleans apartments on the side so they don't have a lot of money or presumably time but she's been trying to make a singing career since she was very young, so she's needed a lot of help.  I don't think there's anything weird or dysfunctional about her parents.  She was shown with her mother on mother's day.  Gabby just seems to be the designated pile-on contestant here this season.  

I think if there wasn't so much speculation that she was The Chosen One, there'd be speculation that she was thrown under the bus to make way for the cuter of the two couples to be final two.  So a silver lining at least...

4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

That's like a loaded question in a career defining situation like that.  She did say on GMA that of course she wanted Caleb to win, but she also wanted to win.

• Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

That's like a loaded question in a career defining situation like that.  She did say on GMA that of course she wanted Caleb to win, but she also wanted to win.

She also said it during a backstage interview a couple of weeks back with Ryan and then quickly added “that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t vote for me!” The point of reference there was that they were all good friends and she didn’t care who won because she loved them all. I think she is just probably a very nice person who maybe never expected to make it so far and honestly did not care what happened last night when it came down to her and Caleb.

As cute as I thought their relationship reveal was I did cringe a bit thinking that all her post win interviews will now focus on that and not her accomplishment but I’m sure she’ll figure it out. I did want to give Ryan a little slap after the relationship reveal when he was introducing that final performance and he said something like “One last time, Caleb Hutchinson and his GIRLFRIEND, Maddie Poppe.”  I know he was trying to be cute but it bugged. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, parrotlover said:

I think it was the edit by AI and the media. I didn't know until the mother's day show, Gabby had a mom in her life. The AI story was Gabby and her dad. I thought he was a single dad. Then the mom showed up on mothers day episode. Then we find out she has 7 siblings. I can't believe AI didn't want to show Gabby's big family? It was just Gabby and the dad. I felt kind of bad for the mom, she had 8 kids and it was just Gabby and the dad shown. But maybe the mom was not wanting the spotlight or I can imagine must be stressed with 7 kids at home and Gabby away. I think it was more AI fault for not giving us the full story. I wasn't wanting dirt, just maybe a quick segement on the siblings, names and ages, maybe how the parents met ? Until Maddie won I didn't know she had 2 sisters or anything much about her background. I still don't know if Caleb has any siblings? AI really focused on a few stories early on, the 2  male contestants with babies, Jurnee and Ada and our final 2 got very little back story told. 

• Love 7

I was such a hater while watching this. I hated all things cutesy....i hated Kayla Spring and her little sister and how they butchered the song Blue. And, egads, I hated the fact that M and C are dating. I know, I know, you all are like "Whaaaaat?!", but I just Don't. Like. Caleb. Im sure hes a fine person,  he just ain't my cup of tea.

• Love 1

I really did not think about Gabby and her backstory each week.  I did not like her as a pseudo-country singer..so based my comments on her song choices, attitude each week, and how she performed those songs....and lack of true country vocals.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kendra143 said:

I think Gabby was trying too hard to be Carrie Underwood version 2. She wasn’t believable. 

She ended up being this year's Jax and Angie Miller.  All 3 were early front runners who landed in 3rd place.  All 3 also were known to be over confident they were going to win. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

They should have played Take the Last Train to Clarksville.  Ha.

I know you meant that as a joke, but, I think it's a great idea.  That would be a great song for them as duet.  I'm serious.  They could put their own spin on it, playing guitars together. lol  I can hardly wait.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

She also said it during a backstage interview a couple of weeks back with Ryan and then quickly added “that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t vote for me!” The point of reference there was that they were all good friends and she didn’t care who won because she loved them all. I think she is just probably a very nice person who maybe never expected to make it so far and honestly did not care what happened last night when it came down to her and Caleb.

As cute as I thought their relationship reveal was I did cringe a bit thinking that all her post win interviews will now focus on that and not her accomplishment but I’m sure she’ll figure it out. I did want to give Ryan a little slap after the relationship reveal when he was introducing that final performance and he said something like “One last time, Caleb Hutchinson and his GIRLFRIEND, Maddie Poppe.”  I know he was trying to be cute but it bugged. 

I think the interviews I've heard/read so far seem to be fairly balanced....they've asked questions about the journey through AI, how she felt when she heard her name (actually SAW her name),  missing her family, etc.  I realize they have to start the rehearsals for the tour, but hopefully more information about AI/Disney's plans before the tour itself ends.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I can imagine must be stressed with 7 kids at home and Gabby away.

Someone in one of these threads said it's 8 kids in a blended family, and most of them are adults, I think.  

Maddie was on Live With Kelly and Ryan this morning.  She seemed extremely relaxed but showed a lot of personality.  She told Ryan that she and Caleb were able to read the card he was holding. He was mortified. I think she tried to make him feel better b saying that even though she saw her name on the card she thought it could be the name of who was going home.  Ryan said that after Idol was over Caleb told him it was pretty cool coming in second. When he asked Caleb why he said that it was because he got to watch Maddie win.  What a sweet guy.

• Love 23

Thank God for Hulu and FF'ing...

Glad that Gabby was 3rd. After that, I was fine with either Maddie or Caleb winning.

Maddie and Caleb are a cute couple, I hope they make it.

Caleb and Darius were awesome, imo.

The whole Jimmy Kimmel thing was stupid.

What was the thing with Katy and the Bachelorette? That was super annoying for the couple of seconds I watched before hitting the ff.

Lionel, oh Lionel, what was up with your song? "FiestAAA, ForevAAA." Oy.

I think Caleb might actually benefit from not being under contract to AI. His is a voice I could hear making it on the country scene.

Caleb's impressions are spot on and hilarious!

• Love 14
On 5/21/2018 at 10:12 PM, ichbin said:

They both seemed true to themselves also, unlike Gabby who seemed to do best when channeling an already established star's style.

It was really obvious when they were singing with Bebe-Gabby was copying Bebe's moves and mannerisms.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Also, random thought here: all of the contestants are too young to know that Kermit’s voice is wrong. All these years and I still miss Jim Henson.

Yes! Kermit's voice bothered me too--I kept thinking "that's not Kermit!"

• Love 12
7 hours ago, incandescent said:
8 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I assume her Mom abandoned her or the like?  If not, she was pretty harsh to her, always talking about her Dad and never Mom.

Poor Mama Barrett was right there next to Daddy Dearest, clapping for her.

That whole situation was a weird thing that was never really addressed. Towards the end, when her mom was actually there, Gabby never seemed to mention her and only talked about her dad. I kind of felt bad for her mom.

• Love 7

Koalagirl, thanks for sharing that Maddie and Caleb knew the result before it was announced.  Watching the announcement again, Ryan Seacrest opens the card, and while he is talking, Caleb glances over, then has a little smile on his face.  He looks genuinely happy for Maddie.  After that, he focuses on watching Maddie for her response.  Maddie has a better poker face, but I think the time when she sees the card is a little bit later than when Caleb sees it.

Caleb's response reminds me of Clay Aiken's reaction during his season's reveal, when he saw the name on the card had too many letters to be his name, and he knew he had lost.  Clay also spent the whole "time of suspense" before the reveal looking at Ruben to catch his reaction.

Paul4295, thanks for explaining that the Iz lyrics to Over the Rainbow are a rearranged version of the original lyrics.  I thought they had messed up and had just started singing random lyrics, and I was wondering why the judges didn't say anything!

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Gabby looked so shocked when Caleb was named for final 2.  Then when Maddie was announced,  it looked like she wanted to yank those inner ears out and storm off. 

I actually didn't watch most of the finale, so I need to go back and see this. I was not a fan of Gabby. I believe there were only two performances by her the whole run that I liked ("Stay" with Jennifer Nettles and her Prince song). Still, I would've been happy for her if she had won, just to have another girl take it and the fact that she at least had a decent range/strong stage presence. That said, the top 3 ended up the same order as I would've put them.

I never thought Maddie stood a real shot outside the hope the two country contestants might split the vote, but I thought it more likely the two girls would split their vote and make it even easier for Caleb to win. I only saw Maddie's "Rainbow Connection" and the Katy/Catie duet (which was very nice) besides the ending top 2 duet and winner performance. I guess I was cynical that Maddie would never win and didn't want to throw two hours away only to be p.o.ed at the end of it all, lol. I did the same thing with most of the last couple of seasons. I only watched AI15's finale because they had so many people back for what seemed to be the end at the time.

Maddie is the first time my #1 favorite of the season won since Jordin Sparks, although I was/am a fan of Cook, Kris, and Candice. So happy for her. And she seems like such a nice, grounded person to go along with that talent. I'll definitely support her post-show material and I really hope she sees some success as an artist.

• Love 6

I got around to watching the GMA stuff last night. Guess ABC decided to put both Idol and DWTS finales on the same night so they could use the same private jet to fly the winners to New York overnight. ?

Thought it was interesting that both Caleb and Maddie went to NY and they had Gabby on via satellite from LA. DWTS always sends all three finalists to GMA. I can’t recall what Idol has done in the past but wonder if Caleb only got to go because of the romance angle or if Gabby just didn’t want to go. It was a little odd. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, sinycalone said:

I did not like her as a pseudo-country singer.

Yes...why would a country singer sing a cover of Whitney Houston in the style of Whitney?  She didn't try to change it up to fit her supposed genre like Whitney did Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You".   That being said, she gave a decent interview here.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/22/american-idol-gabby-barrett-interview-finale-maddie-caleb-dating/

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

I was such a hater while watching this. I hated all things cutesy....i hated Kayla Spring and her little sister and how they butchered the song Blue. 

I think it was LAYLA Spring?  (not sure)  Anyway, why was she wearing an 8 years old's Easter dress??? And yes, they did butcher the song.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I got around to watching the GMA stuff last night. Guess ABC decided to put both Idol and DWTS finales on the same night so they could use the same private jet to fly the winners to New York overnight. ?

Thought it was interesting that both Caleb and Maddie went to NY and they had Gabby on via satellite from LA. DWTS always sends all three finalists to GMA. I can’t recall what Idol has done in the past but wonder if Caleb only got to go because of the romance angle or if Gabby just didn’t want to go. It was a little odd. 

Maddie performed on Kelly and Ryan yesterday, Caleb is appearing and performing today.  I don't believe that the #3 was brought to New York in the past but I could be wrong.

• Love 3
(edited)

Missed the finale.  Really happy Maddy won. She was the best.  Even better- Gabby lost!  Happy that the judges apparently gave an honest criticism.

I am sick of Over the Rainbow - please stop.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Missed the finale.  Really happy Maddy won. She was the best.  Even better- Gabby lost!  Happy that the judges apparently gave an honest criticism.

I am sick of Over the Rainbow - please stop.

I think that is why they had Maddie and Caleb sing that altered/Hawaiian version....I was confused and thought they'd forgotten the lyrics, too.

I think that is why they had Maddie and Caleb sing that altered/Hawaiian version

Yes. It was intended as an intro to the "You've Just Made Final Two on Idol, Where are You Going to Go? I'm Going to Disney Hawaii!" prize., so they probably wanted a song linked to Hawaii. There are probably only three well-known songs related to Hawaii and Idol decided not to ruin the careers of their next Idol winner by having them sing "Tiny Bubbles" or hum their way through the "Hawaii 5-0" theme song. Plus, Iz's version would fit a lot of voices.  I hate it when they pick a song that only favours one of the contestants for a duet.

I don't believe that the #3 was brought to New York in the past but I could be wrong.

Traditionally, the final 3 would do press the same week. Back when Idol was big, the eliminated contestants would be invited onto all sorts of talk shows. The contestant who came in third wouldn't be able to do press their elimination week because they had to be in LA for rehearsals for the finale. So, they would tag along with the winner and runner-up. For instance, the winner would be on Kelly and Whoever on Monday, the runner-up on Tuesday and the third place finisher on Wednesday. Idol was so big at one time, the Idol would host ET the next day and the runner-up would host Accesss Hollywood before flying to New York to make the rounds there.

But there hasn't been really any talk show appearances for eliminated contestants this year. Kelly and Ryan are running a contest to see who will also get to appear on the show and Gabby is one of the contestants you can vote for.

• Love 1

This is a good interview with Maddie that goes into a little more detail than most of the others I've seen:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/american-idol-winner-maddie-poppe-opens-caleb-lee-hutchinson-romance-katy-perry-advice-174601532.html

Poppe and Hutchinson had a couple reasons for keeping their relationship status under wraps. “We started dating around the top 24 week, and we’d noticed that there were some other couples who had gotten split up along the way,” Poppe recalls. She began to suspect that the show’s powers that be frowned upon contestants dating, and she worried that she and Hutchinson would meet a similar Romeo-and-Juliet-like fate. “I mean, it’s just my conspiracy theory, but we really didn’t want anybody to know [we were an item], because we didn’t want the producers to find out and split us up!”

The other reason for the couple’s secrecy was more competitive and strategic: “Caleb needed the women’s vote. So, we both were like, ‘He needs to appear single!’” Poppe reveals — demonstrating just how supportive the two were of each other throughout the season.

“Truly, once it got down to me and Caleb [on the finale], I really didn’t care who won,” Poppe stresses. “I mean, of course I still wanted to win, but I would have been just as happy if he had won.” When Seacrest eventually announced Poppe’s name, Hutchinson was equally thrilled. “He was so proud. He’s just super-supportive, and he was really happy for me. I mean, he’s my boyfriend, but he could have been bitter or, you know, kind of jealous. But he wasn’t any of that. He treated me like his girlfriend, not a competitor, so that was pretty cool.”

Poppe says she assumed she was this season’s “underdog” partially because of Idol’s past track record, in which “WGWG” contestants like Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, and Phillip Phillips prevailed, but their acoustic-strumming female counterparts never did. “One reason why I thought I would or could never win this is because [past contestants] like Crystal Bowersox and Brooke White were my idols when I watched the show, and they didn’t win,” she explains. “Crystal got second place, and she was my favorite. And so, I thought that’s what would happen with me, because I was so similar to them. Plus, we had powerhouses [this season] like Gabby [Barrett] and Ada [Vox], and a country voice like Caleb’s — all kinds of super-mainstream popular music and country music has such a big fanbase. I wasn’t seen as mainstream music. And so that was something that was really scary going into this. But I knew that whatever happened was supposed to happen, and even if I didn’t win, I was doing what I love.”

She also talks about all the support and advice she got from Katy Perry throughout the season.

• Love 9

Maddie's new song is already on Spotify, along with seven other songs from an album called "Songs from the Basement." Glad I don't have to wait long to hear her sing!

• Love 2
On 5/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Just figured out who Maddie resembles so much.  Totally reminds me of Elizabeth Moss. (Link for photo.)

https://www.biography.com/people/elisabeth-moss-17169640

I've thought that since I first saw her.  

Kayla Spring and her little sister were SO pageanty. I'm a little ashamed to admit that the Cade, Denis, Gary Young song was kind of sexy? And I liked hearing Catie's original song again (or was that the night before?) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, librarianbeck said:

I've thought that since I first saw her.  

Kayla Spring and her little sister were SO pageanty. I'm a little ashamed to admit that the Cade, Denis, Gary Young song was kind of sexy? And I liked hearing Catie's original song again (or was that the night before?) 

I kind of felt bad for Kayla and Dixie (I refuse to spell it with a Y) when Leann Rimes stole their thunder, but it wasn't like that was difficult to do. Leann looked good, but I wasn't sure who she was at first. I thought it was Colby Callait.

I've never heard of Gary Young, but I thought he and his song were damn sexy.

• Love 4

I am so thrilled that Maddie won. First time my fave has won since David Cook.  And I hope her relationship with Caleb works out. He seems like a nice guy.  I hope Caleb makes it as a country artist - unlike pseudo-country Gabby, he seems like the real deal. He has a pleasant voice to listen to (which I find important, regardless of genre) and I would like to see him succeed in his career. 

I am also glad to hear that Maddie acknowledged the support and advice she received from Katy. Unlike many here, I loved Katy.  At least in the beginning, she was the one who offered the best critiques and advice. And I found her hilarious. Yes, she was a goofball at times but I never considered it a result of her being drunk or stoned. She seemed totally sober during her critiques (unlike Paula Abdul, who at times couldn’t even remember how many songs a contestant had sung). Yes, her salary is outrageous, but other than that, I don’t see a reason for all the hate.

Anyway, I enjoyed this season - I’m thrilled with Maddie winning - and I’m so happy Idol has been renewed for another season, with the same judges. I’m looking forward to it!

• Love 8