Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E19: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

Yes!!! She’s been my choice since they were in Hollywood! I would have been fine with a Caleb win as well, but I was rooting for Maddie!

Awwwwwww, yay, Maddie! 

The local news was reporting on about a Maddie Poppe watch party happening tonight, so the people there must be having a fun time right about now :D. Cool to have my state represented in the history of "Idol" winners. 

On a non-musical note, so....Caleb and Maddie are a thing, huh? Interesting. 

• Love 20

Well, this season was much better than the last 5 seasons of the old show for sure, but I still didn’t believe they would be able to throw off the WGWG curse. I’m so happy they managed it--the revival was actually worth it! I haven’t liked an Idol winner this much in a decade.

• Love 24

Wow I have never ever had my favorite win American Idol. So happy for Maddie. Was shocked to hear she and Caleb are dating. They would not seem to have all that much in common but hey they look cute together. A trip to Hawaii is nice but I guess Ford is no longer a sponsor. Bummer.

• Love 12

All is right in the world!  Happy with the top 2 and with Maddie's win.  She has been my favorite this season, and is my favorite winner since Philip Phillips.  The finale show was fun too!

• Love 13
(edited)

I was so thrilled when the top two were announced....it was a win/win situation for me.  Both are talented, seem grounded and focused...and hopefully both have good careers ahead of them.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 21

I know the finale is always 2 hours but this one seemed to have way too much filler. I could have done without the judges' montages. The Jimmy Kimmel bit was silly...Sanjaya is going bald...quite the receding hairline.

Jurnee sounded good with Nick Jonas. I like Gary Clarke Jr but that song was not pleasant. Time has not been kind to Miss Patty's voice and Ada was all kinds of screechy.

Top 3 performing with Bebe Rexha was a hot mess!!! Awful.

I enjoyed Katy and Catie's duet even though Catie's part was quite repetitive.

Maddie sounded very hoarse to me throughout the episode and by the end could barely croak out her new single. 

• Love 7

Oh, and I loved that Darius praised Caleb as having an old-school voice...you could tell Caleb was thrilled.

Yep, I think Maddie sounded a little hoarse....but I think all the rehearsals, performance, etc. caught up with her.

Not so surprised they are dating....her Instagram "stories" were mostly about Caleb!.  The same was true of his.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I know the finale is always 2 hours but this one seemed to have way too much filler. I could have done without the judges' montages. The Jimmy Kimmel bit was silly...Sanjaya is going bald...quite the receding hairline.

I kept thinking throughout that if they were going to have the entire evening taken up by the finales for "Dancing" and "Idol", they could've let each show have an hour and a half. Could've cut down on some of the random/excess moments on "Idol" and would've made "Dancing" feel less rushed. Win-win for everyone!

Weird to see Sanjaya and the crying girl again. Did not expect that. 

• Love 4

So glad Maddie won.  I think ABC & Disney were hoping for a Maddie win.  She will fit in with the Disney machine more than Caleb would have. 

Now get ready for the massive Disney push.  Go Maddie.  

• Love 10

So happy Maddie won! She was the most deserving this season, she’s been the most consistent. She never had a misstep or bad performance or bad song choice. The results were exactly on point with Gabby getting third. Surprised but not shocked about Caleb and Maddie dating (heard rumors of it on here before). They both seem really sweet and it was nice they made the top 2 together. So happy a girl finally won (without producers stacking the deck like season 12) and somehow beating the male country WGWG vote. Hopefully Hollywood Records does right by Maddie and makes some effort to make her a success.

By the way how cute was it that she had all the top 14 sing with her at the end?

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

In a way they didn't.  Just change the 'G' to Girl.

True. All girls need to audition with guitars from hereon.

2 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Most of the time I am a cold hearted cynic about romantic relationships on these types of shows but that little reveal that Caleb and Maddie are dating was very sweet and cute and unexpected. 

And I am so glad Maddie won ! 

Even though I didn't want Caleb to win, I did like him (would definitely had rather he won one of the past seasons instead of Scotty, Trent, Lee, or Nick). He and Maddie look like they would be a cute couple, honestly. They are both such polite, lovely people. And for what it's worth, I think Caleb could stand a shot without winning, just for the fact that country is and has been dominated by men for more than a decade now, and that isn't something I would say for any other contestant on the show. Pop stars need a push, and they need the win to even stand a chance.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yes!! Way to go Maddie! How nice to see a well qualified woman win for a change.

I think I'm still in a little shock. I was wanting her to win for quite some time but I really didn't expect it based on past voting trends. Really hope they surround her with good people who can help her achieve her best. I'm excited to see what they can do with her.

Actually surprised the top 3 fell just as I hoped it would. And what a nice little surprise at the end when Caleb said Maddie was his girlfriend. Hope they will support each other and not let it sidetrack them. 

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 18
12 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

By the way how cute was it that she had all the top 14 sing with her at the end?

I thought it was cute that Catie had to take charge to get everyone to sing and that Caleb tried to legitimately sing the song using the teleprompter. But what really made me laugh was that this group of kids is having this great moment, excited for their friend and the end of this journey they were all on together and each one of them sort of passed the microphone along quickly realizing it was really not anyone's moment alone....and then the last thing I saw was Katy Perry trying to grab the microphone out of one of their hands. ? Of course. What an appropriate way for this season to end.

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Good choice America.  Couldn't have gone wrong with either of the top 2 really.  Does Maddie get a brand new pair of roller skates?

Thanks for the cute reminder of just one of the reasons why Maddie won. She really was the best. Eclectic song choices, original, never boring. Remember Homeward Bound anyone? I think her and Disney can work well together. Yes America really did get it right.

• Love 17

Yay, Maddie!  I am so happy for her!  Although honestly, once Gabby was eliminated I would have been fine with either of the top 2 winning.  How sweet that Maddie and Caleb are a couple and that they managed to keep it (more-or-less) a secret until now.  Maddie’s bashfulness when Caleb reached for her hand during their song was adorable.  Did each of the top 3 rehearse a song with each other so they would be ready for any outcome?

I thought it was cute when the rest of the top 10 (top 14?) rushed Maddie and when she couldn’t continue singing she told the others to take over.  Katy P jumping in and pulling the mic away from Michael was not so cute…

Caleb’s impression of Lionel Richie was awesome!  His father’s impression of Katy not so much.

I thought Katy’s song with Catie was lovely – it was the highlight of the night for me until Maddie was announced as the winner.

I noticed that despite Ryan talking about how all the past finale nights have been big deals with over 600 million viewers and then Kimmel's time-waster with "souvenirs" of past seasons, ABC insists on calling next season "Season 2".  So Kimmel had "Ryan's frosted tips from season 1", and yet THIS is season 1?  Way to be confusing ABC.

Trips to Hawaii, huh?  Not quite a new car...

All in all a pretty underwhelming, but ultimately satisfying finale.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Awwwwwww, yay, Maddie! 

The local news was reporting on about a Maddie Poppe watch party happening tonight, so the people there must be having a fun time right about now :D. Cool to have my state represented in the history of "Idol" winners. 

On a non-musical note, so....Caleb and Maddie are a thing, huh? Interesting. 

I am from Iowa too and saw the watch party. I am so glad she won!

I was surprised to hear they are dating. They were kind of awkward, yet cute at the same time.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I thought it was cute that Catie had to take charge to get everyone to sing and that Caleb tried to legitimately sing the song using the teleprompter. But what really made me laugh was that this group of kids is having this great moment, excited for their friend and the end of this journey they were all on together and each one of them sort of passed the microphone along quickly realizing it was really not anyone's moment alone....and then the last thing I saw was Katy Perry trying to grab the microphone out of one of their hands. ? Of course. What an appropriate way for this season to end.

Was Gabby part of this? Our family tried to find her and didn't see her singing with all the others? The rest of the group did seem like they were having fun and enjoying Maddie's win and the moment. It also is a good ad for how the tour will be.  

Very happy with the outcome :) and happy for Maddie and Caleb.

A little part of me would have loved to see how gabby reacted to it all. 

• Love 9

I am all kinds of happy that Maddie won.  I think she was a little shy about the dating thing, but her smile during that duet was the best natural smile I've seen from her all season.

43 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Trips to Hawaii, huh?  Not quite a new car...

They'll need a new sponsor.  Ford is actually giving up on cars except for a hybrid Focus.  Just trucks and SUV's.

• Love 12
(edited)

Caleb will do better with his career by not being owned by AI and Disney. IMHO

Also, not the best time for a Hawaiian trip. Volcanic ash can be rough on the vocal cords. Send Gabby instead??

Edited by wiggiebegone
didn't finish before I hit send
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Was Gabby part of this? Our family tried to find her and didn't see her singing with all the others? The rest of the group did seem like they were having fun and enjoying Maddie's win and the moment. It also is a good ad for how the tour will be.  

Just rewatched. It's Jurnee, Michelle, Michael and Catie who run on stage first; then Caleb from the other side of the stage at the same time that Dennis and Ada emerge; then Gabby and Cade make it up there a half-second later.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, TeeMo said:

I thought it was cute that Catie had to take charge to get everyone to sing and that Caleb tried to legitimately sing the song using the teleprompter. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually knew the words...the song is so catchy, I've already memorized them myself!

That was a great finale. Minus the filler video packages and skits, the performances were all great and Maddie and Caleb's reveal was so sweet.

You could tell how close everyone this season has gotten, it's so awesome. Definitely needed the joy this show brought after a pretty terrible past week.

Congratulations to Maddie, a super deserving winner. I even got people who didn't watch the show to vote for her after telling them about her!

Bring on Season 2!

Edited by niklj
  • Love 11

Yay Maddie! 

I told a friend (who judges me a bit for still watching this show) that I watch it for Maddie because she’s something special. 

I hope the deal turns out for her. Not always a blessing but I think it can work - She knows who she is. And that’s why she won.  That’ll help. 

Cute that they’re dating. 

• Love 12

Hooray!!  Glad that Maddie won and Caleb was second.  

A few random thoughts:

** Several of the top 10 sounded better and had more stage presence now than they did while competing.  They should be able to fine tune that more during the tour.

** The lights and moving backgrounds during the songs is so distracting.  Maybe it was supposed to generate excitement but it was plain awful.

• Love 9

I’m genuinely happy for Maddie. 

Also, random thought here: all of the contestants are too young to know that Kermit’s voice is wrong. All these years and I still miss Jim Henson.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, wiggiebegone said:

Caleb will do better with his career by not being owned by AI and Disney. IMHO

If it was any other company besides Disney, I'd agree with you, but if Disney wants something, it'll happen.  They saved Kelly Clarkson's career back when her first few singles did just OK.

• Love 5

Congrats to Maddie and all the finalists.  This experience must be so thrilling and valuable for them. 

I'm just wondering if the viewers really find the (non-musical) silly, bizarre hijinks the show exudes as entertaining. Does the audience really think it's funny or amusing?  It just seems so awkward, even cringe worthy.  At times, I just look away or change the channel.  It's mainly the stuff they give the judges to do.  I'm just wondering if changing judges would matter, if the producers keep coming up with that garbage.

• Love 6
(edited)

Let's just say I hope that the contracts this year's contestants signed were more flexible than those under the old regime.  I think Disney is so good at marketing, they will find a way to promote and nurture her....at least that is what should happen.  The tour should help the top seven hone their performance skills...and a few of them would seem to have the talent to create good careers.  But they have to be willing to accept criticism and learn from it.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DallasGypsy said:

** Several of the top 10 sounded better and had more stage presence now than they did while competing.  They should be able to fine tune that more during the tour.

I think that often happens on the finale once the pressure of competing is off and they usually give all the contestants something right in their wheelhouse to do. I thought Michael’s performance with Oleta Adams was particularly great because it was what he feels comfortable with. It was fun to see everyone get to do something like that. I thought the Catie/Katy duet was great too.

• Love 2

Michael and Cade's would-be coronation singles have been released.

I actually like both of them! Michael's has a chill ambience to it while still delivering very solid vocals. Cade reined in the growl to make a more enjoyable listening experience (but the song is too short for a single).

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I just about died laughing when Caleb suggested that their parents might join him and Maddie in Hawaii: “save room for Jesus.” I like that boy.

Ryan has been playing the role of nosy Aunt all season with his incessant cutesy comments about Cade and Gabby and I thought his little line about how maybe they could bring another couple to Hawaii was an attempt to include those two. I cracked up when neither Maddie nor Caleb took the bait and Caleb suggested their parents instead. 

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Remember Sanjaya's sister? Why do I remember his sister?

/I hope Katy Perry calms down next season. She's worse than Paula.

I actually liked Sanjaya's sister more than I liked him, but IIRC she either didn't make it to the public voting or went early in the semifinals.

• Love 2