Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: START

4 minutes ago, Misstify said:

The scene in the garage with Stan reminded me of The Sound of Music, in the churchyard when Capt. von Trapp tries to persuade Rolf to let them go.  I can't believe Stan let them go, though.  I guess he really believed, or wanted to believe, that they didn't do the murders?  I would have liked to see a scene later on that showed Stan grappling with the fact that he let them go and basically has to live a lie now (he will have to lie to Aderholt, who had Thanksgiving at his house with the Jenningses, for the rest of his life).

I also would have liked a bit more on what happens to Paige now.  I can't quite believe she doesn't crack immediately under questioning.  

Can you imagine the look on her face when they show her the pictures of the defectors Liz slaughtered like pigs?

• Love 6

They just abandoned so much of what happened to Stan, Philip, Elizabeth in earlier seasons -- Stan needed to know that Philip Killed AMador, and that he (Stan) had shot Elizabeth.  And he investigated so many of their operations.  I did not expect the finale to cove it all, but really thought Stan would be in a position to find out more in interrogation.    And I really thought there would be a shred of hope for Oleg.  I am not a bit worried about Henry or Paige.  Stan will certainly take care of Henry, and Paige deserves whatever.  

Philip and Elizabeth can certainly call Henry and Paige from Russia -- they just can't go back to the U.S. or countries that would extradite them.  

Honestly, Paige does not know much at all -- just learned how to do surveillance, and learned bits and pieces of the fairy tales of politics that Elizabeth told her.

At least Henry does not know his parents actually were murderers.  

Stavos!  Will he find out the truth?  The travel agency is certainly done; all records carted off by the FBI by the time everyone shows up for work the next day.   

• Love 17
(edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong -- after Elizabeth muses that she could've managed a factory, doesn't she say something to Philip like "You might have m--" and then stops herself? I wondered if she was going to ponder whether Philip might've married Irina, but realized she didn't want to go there.

Edited to add: On rewatch, it's more of a pause and then an "Mmh" than an unspoken word starting with m. Even so, to me it still seems more like she's deliberately stopping herself from considering Philip's potential other path than that she can't think of anything to say about it.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 17
17 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Thanks for this!  I’m going to tell myself that’s his real ending!

Overall, I think it was a fitting bittersweet end.  Philip and Liz have each other ... but they had to leave their kids  :(

The only problem for me was Paige’s ending   — really, what is she gonna do now??  

We saw the end of Paige. She is going to die like a sad, lonely Russian -- guzzling vodka to the point of a premature death.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Plums said:

not only does Philip drop that bomb that Renee could be a spy, but he leaves Stan with the huge unpaid tuition bill as well. Harsh, Philip. 

Interesting that Philip picked up on Renée. 

Stan did say he had some money socked away.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm OK with this ending. Wish at least one of them had gotten caught, but it's a consolation that P&E didn't truly have a happy ending. They'll never see their kids again, Paige is almost certainly going to prison, and their position in the Soviet Union is uncertain. The KGB may get to them before they get to Gorbachev.

I don't think we're supposed to think Paige will go to prison. If they wanted to tell us that they'd have showed her already in trouble. I think Stan will protect her and keep her from harsh interrogation.

2 minutes ago, Tetraneutron said:

What did Elizabeth's dream mean? Any theories?

Elizabeth's dream was the story of her whole life. She remembered when she didn't want kids and almost ran away because she was scared of that emotional connection. But she let it in--like those pictures.

2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

They will see their kids again though.  The real life spies that were caught did.  Soon Communism is dead.  They can travel, the kids can travel.

Yeah, I think it's possible in the future if they live.

My heart was in my throat when Philip suggested trying to stay for a year or two to try to see Henry. That was the ending I really didn't want, that whole "boys stay in the US and girls go to Russia!" thing because no, Philip and Elizabeth are the only Russians here. Despite Paige's mysterious soul.

Oh, and I forgot I mentioned this in the live chat but what is up with even Father Andrei calling Elizabeth by her whole first name and Philip by the familiar short version? Do they think the audience will just be that confused and not be able to recognize his full name? It's not like they haven't used it before.

• Love 9
Just now, Bannon said:

Can you imagine the look on her face when they show her the pictures of the defectors Liz slaughtered like pigs?

"Never heard of them.  We don't kill people."

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

As has been established ad nauseum this season: Paige is not a smart girl - she'll squawk the second they start asking her questions, especially if she thinks it will help her parents, wherever they are. She has absolutely no one to live off of - she's going to have to cough up information for any kind of assistance in not ending up on the street.

I think she could easily get jobs.  I also don't think she's stupid.  Naive, gullible, idealistic, and more than anything else, young.  She had an idyllic childhood, that did not prepare her for a life of deception.  

Well, the real Americans (Paige and Henry) stayed.  The phony ones (P&E) went home.  But I wonder if they can ever really go home after their decades in America? 

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

The message Philip passed to Oleg in the dead drop that Oleg got caught with.  That's the info to relay.

That message doesn't have to get to Moscow.  Phillip and Elizabeth wrote it and will relay all the details to Arkady.

• Love 4

Disappointed. Stan let Russian spies and murderers go. Sucks.Stan didn't even redeem himself. He truly is the idiot they have portrayed him as all along.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, NitneLiun said:

We saw the end of Paige. She is going to die like a sad, lonely Russian -- guzzling vodka to the point of a premature death.

By the way, that was Tschaikovsky -- lonely, alone Tschaikovsky-- that was playing as she guzzled the vodka.  

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, kikaha said:

The unresolved issues -- Renee, Oleg, Paige to name a few -- leave the door open for "The Americans: the movie."

If Sex and the City did it, so can The Americans.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

As has been established ad nauseum this season: Paige is not a smart girl - she'll squawk the second they start asking her questions, especially if she thinks it will help her parents, wherever they are. She has absolutely no one to live off of - she's going to have to cough up information for any kind of assistance in not ending up on the street.

That has not been established except on these boards. She figured out her what her mother did with Jackson. And more importantly, she was able to get off the train and back to DC unmolested. And what would she "squawk" about? Unless Stan goes after her personally, no one else in the FBI has the remotest idea she's involved and all she knows is her parents went to Canada with wigs and false names, all of which they ditched. 

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Probably.  Stan can't play it any other way than he played it with Henry even though he knows Paige knows the truth.  But she also know she let them go.

I do think there were things to show there.  At the same time, it could have also felt hard to find an ending after this.

Yes.  But they don't have anything on her.  Without the sketches, they barely have anything on Philip and Elizabeth.

But yes, I still want some answers we'll never get.

Stan knows she knew about her parents but not that she was ever involved in spying herself. And if he's protecting Henry out of loyalty to Philip, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility he'll protect Philip's other child. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, kay1864 said:

Interesting that Philip picked up on Renée. 

Stan did say he had some money socked away.

Will Stan have the FBI do a national birth/death certificate search on Renee?  I don't think he can continue with her not knowing.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Oh, and I forgot I mentioned this in the live chat but what is up with even Father Andrei calling Elizabeth by her whole first name and Philip by the familiar short version? Do they think the audience will just be that confused and not be able to recognize his full name? It's not like they haven't used it before.

I think it was just that Elizabeth always went by her full name and no one ever called Philip Mikhail. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Tetraneutron said:

What did Elizabeth's dream mean? Any theories?

Erica's painting represented Elizabeth learning to see who she really is, and it looks like she really is the person who loved Gregory and didn't want to be a mother. She did eventually fall in love with Philip, too, but she doesn't care for him or the kids as intensely as Philip does for her and them. She's already getting into the idea of Act III of their lives in Russia.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Which cars, precisely?  When was that ever brought up in the series?

Paige was in KGB cars on several operations. The FBI has a painstaking way of tracking those cars down. They are going to be found, Paiges hair has to be in them, and 1987 was when convictions started to be obtained via DNA matches. They'll match her DNA to hair in her bedroom at home, or her dorm room at college, of course. There isn't a chance she's not getting convicted, and Liz and Phil were morons for not realizing that she's about as likely to hold up under questioning by the FBI as she is to win a Pulitzer for her brilliant history of WWII.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Dev F said:

Correct me if I'm wrong -- after Elizabeth muses that she could've managed a factory, doesn't she say something to Philip like "You might have m--" and then stops herself? I wondered if she was going to ponder whether Philip might've married Irina, but realized she didn't want to go there.

Maybe she did start to say that. Good catch. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, skippylou said:

Will Stan have the FBI do a national birth/death certificate search on Renee?  I don't think he can continue with her not knowing.  

He will have a chance to do heavy-duty snooping for her background check for her job interview next week!  

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, skippylou said:

That message doesn't have to get to Moscow.  Phillip and Elizabeth wrote it and will relay all the details to Arkady.

Yes, that was my original question/point.  How much time had passed and could they just tell him.  I was responding to a reply that said Arkady already knew about KGB wanting Gorby gone, I was clarifying he needed to know more.

Here's the whole exchange.

37 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I wonder how long it took Philip and Elizabeth to get to Russia.  Can they tell Arkady about the KGB plot?

17 minutes ago, NitneLiun said:

Arkady already knows. That's why he sent Oleg to Washington.

15 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

The message Philip passed to Oleg in the dead drop that Oleg got caught with.  That's the info to relay.

9 minutes ago, skippylou said:

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, kikaha said:

The unresolved issues -- Renee, Oleg, Paige to name a few -- leave the door open for "The Americans: the movie."

It would be hard to make sense out of the movie for people who never watched the series. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Tetraneutron said:

That has not been established except on these boards. She figured out her what her mother did with Jackson. And more importantly, she was able to get off the train and back to DC unmolested. And what would she "squawk" about? Unless Stan goes after her personally, no one else in the FBI has the remotest idea she's involved and all she knows is her parents went to Canada with wigs and false names, all of which they ditched. 

Stan knows she knew about her parents but not that she was ever involved in spying herself. And if he's protecting Henry out of loyalty to Philip, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility he'll protect Philip's other child. 

He will protect her. No doubt in my mind. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, echo.Echo.ECHO said:

So does Renee still have an interview next Wednesday?

I mean, it'll be clear enough come Wednesday right? Either she'll go through with it and her background check will come out clean, or she'll find an excuse to beg out of it and Stan will know that Philip was right.

That's what I meant when I said that I think the Renee thing is meant to indicate Stan's priorities rather than some long-term decision to be okay with his wife maybe being a spy. The Renee thing will still be there the next day; Henry needs his love and support now, and for once Stan is able to put all the other shit aside and just be there for him.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That is if their kids want to see them again. I doubt Henry will, and Paige will probably still be in prison.

They can’t travel to America - they will always be wanted there  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

I like it. It broke my heart in places, but I like it. It fits. This was a show about family and relationships first. Not spies. I made a prediction that no one would die in the finale after seeing Oleg and Claudia survive. What do you know- no one did. 

Paige and Henry should be able to go visit their parents in Russia soon enough. And they’ll have each other. I think that’s one reason Paige stayed. That and not really wanting to go to Russia. But- leaving Henry was too much too, I think. I choose to believe Philip and Elizabeth read their kids right- they’ll be okay. 

I buy Stan letting them leave. It was too personal for him. So- now he’s left to wonder about Renee. No resolution there. Interesting choice. 

That was an amazing scene- mostly between him and Philip. Philip admitted they’d been best friends. Reminded him that Stan moved in next to him- not the other way around. That he’d burned out like Stan. Loved how he and Elizabeth both emphasized the urgency in their message getting to Moscow. Reminded Stan that they loved their country too. 

I think Philip told Stan about his suspicions about Renee out of genuine concern. 

Stan flat out lying to Aderholt was a huge moment. Pretended to be surprised to know for sure. 

Poor Henry. He had no idea his parents were saying good bye. But I LOVED what Philip said to him- they loved him, were proud of him, and to be himself. Good advice. 

Oleg’s dad should get an Emmy. Broke my heart. He lost one son to a useless war and another for a mission he thinks failed. Hopefully- Arkday will tell him it wasn’t in vain. Since he picked up P and E, we know they told him everything and the coup was stopped. History tells us that. 

The end worked. I’m so sad that P and E lost their kids, but staying home- their home- is best for them. Paige can have a real life. The secret is out now. 

Loved that they put on their real wedding rings. Great moment. 

Very fitting that it ends with them standing together, looking out at Moscow. Agreed the kids were okay. I liked Elizabeth’s questioning about what if they’d never left- musing maybe they’d have met anyway. Loved that they started out speaking in English. In the end- Philip saying this is weird and Elizabeth replied in Russian that they’ll adjust was perfect. I think so. 

My quibbles- no background on Philip. Except for him to talk about his recruitment. Forgot his exact words though. No I love you from Elizabeth. But- they are together. I’ll take it. 

I think I just wrote a dissertation. Lol 

I so wanted her to say "I love you" to Philip somewhere in the episode!!  

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Paige knows that Stan is Henry's only chance of support and parental figure. I'd hope she zip it up and let things alone.

There isn't a chance that Stan gets legal custody of Henry until Henry turns 18. Stan's professional life is going to be capsized, and the FBI is going to keep him away from Henry.

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My favorite line from the finale is from Philip to Stan, What are you going to do...shoot us? lol

Actually the perfect line to save them. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, jjj said:

"Never heard of them.  We don't kill people."

Yeah, sure, just like the three men in the warehouse that committed suicide.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Marianna said:

They can’t travel to America - they will always be wanted there  

They could meet in another country. I just think that Henry is completely done with his parents, and Paige will be in prison if Aderholt gets to her before Stan does. Paige isn't the brightest bulb and Aderholt will make her sing like a canary. Who knows, she may even let slip that Stan let P&E escape, in which case Stan will also go to prison. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Bannon said:

There isn't a chance that Stan gets legal custody of Henry until Henry turns 18. Stan's professional life is going to be capsized, and the FBI is going to keep him away from Henry.

I disagree.  He told Aderholt about the Jenningses before there was any suspicion of them.  However, this could affect Renee's chances at the HR job...

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

I disagree.  He told Aderholt about the Jenningses before there was any suspicion of them.  However, this could affect Renee's chances at the HR job...

Aderholt's career is over as well. That's how a bureaucracy like the FBI works. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Dev F said:

She probably was at least going to say something about having a family and then realized it would be too painful. She can't think of what job he'd have. Could have done a lot. I don't think she was talking about Irina specifically. She probably knew he'd have married

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Paige knows that Stan is Henry's only chance of support and parental figure. I'd hope she zip it up and let things alone.

I think Paige is there to be his family. She's there to help him understand their parents. She wasn't just worried about Henry. She didn't want him to hate their parents and not understand them. This way Henry will not be left with nothing. That's real result of them telling her. Not her being second gen, but her being able to help Henry know them. She even didn't talk to him on the phone, maybe both because she was too emotional and also because she left it with his parents saying good-bye without her.

2 minutes ago, Tetraneutron said:

I think it was just that Elizabeth always went by her full name and no one ever called Philip Mikhail. 

Not true. When they got married they both used their full names. Also Russian names don't work like that. If you know someone you use a shorter version of their name, unless you're making a point in some way. He should have called them either Mikhail and Nadyezhda or Mischa and Nadia.

2 minutes ago, Bannon said:

There isn't a chance she's not getting convicted, and Liz and Phil were morons for not realizing that she's about as likely to hold up under questioning by the FBI as she is to win a Pulitzer for her brilliant history of WWII.

Who says they think otherwise? They didn't send her into any interrogations. They weren't going to lean out the window and shoot her from the train window so she didn't squeal!

• Love 8
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Marianna said:

If the implication is that Paige gets away with it and gets to stay in America, then that is the worst part for me. Plus Renee. Otherwise, it wasn’t what I expected at all, but I still thought it was great. 

47 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

But why shouldn't she get to get away with everything?  Her murderous parents, who did way more than she ever did, got away with everything they ever did.  Why shouldn't the same be expected of her?  She's no less deserving than them if they can get away and it's a-okay.

Well, she committed treason.  But the only person who knows that is Stan, and he can’t tell anyone.  If she has learned anything, she says nothing and is the other abandoned child.h

The Renee thing bothered me, because I don’t see how it helps Stan.  Glad he went to Henry.

i know there are lots of loose ends, but I doubt they could have settled everything in one episode.

God, Stan is a lousy FBI agent.  He let them go.  Jeez, negotiate with them for Paige’s freedom, but get them in and talking.  

Edited by Mrs peel
Correct a typo.
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

Sandra is so going to freak out when Stan calls her about this.

"Stan, I told you six months ago… stop calling me! <click>"

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Who says they think otherwise? They didn't send her into any interrogations. They weren't going to lean out the window and shoot her from the train window so she didn't squeal!

It may have been nice, then, to have a scene where Phil and Liz talk about how much it sucks that their beloved daughter is going to prison for the rest of her life.

Just rewatching the garage scene -- and I half-expected Elizabeth to run over Stan and then back over him.  But I knew he had a later scene with Aderholt.  Old version Elizabeth would have killed Stan.  

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Cardie said:

Erica's painting represented Elizabeth learning to see who she really is, and it looks like she really is the person who loved Gregory and didn't want to be a mother. She did eventually fall in love with Philip, too, but she doesn't care for him or the kids as intensely as Philip does for her and them. She's already getting into the idea of Act III of their lives in Russia.

I didn’t get that at all out of it. She learned she did want to be a mother. And she loved Philip. In the end- she was saying they’d adjust to their new/old lives together. And they will imo. 

• Love 9

I think Stan should be worried about being seen when he was at/near Paige's apartment since his boss told him he put agents on it. Stan admitted to being there but said she wasn't home. But what if the agents were in place and saw a bit of Paige & her family or Stan?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5