Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

• Start Topic

My viewership doesn't count towards anything however I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. I don't have DVR but am always home on Friday nights. Unfortunately, my kids go to bed during the 8 o'clock hour so regardless of the day TAR airs, 8 o'clock is a hard time for me to watch anything and I end up missing the first 15 minutes or so and find myself only half paying attention to the rest of the show. 

I do find it interesting that in my area, TAR is now available OnDemand. Last year, when it was constantly interrupted by football the only way to watch it was online, which I personally despise watching TV on my mobile device or even on my PC. I just won't do it. Now that scheduling isn't a problem anymore they decide to offer it on demand? If anything it would have made more sense to offer it OnDemand last year and not this year. I don't get it. 

Season high ratings last night!  A 1.4 in the coveted 18-49 demo.  So far we've had a 1.1, 1.2, 1.1, and now a 1.4, so that's a noticeable increase.  It was the second highest rated show of the night, behind only Shark Tank.

Well that's certainly a good trend to be increasing, we'll try to temper expectations a little bit.  Next week will be up against Game 3 of the World Series, and the following week will be on Halloween, when ratings for everything will likely be down.  For now though, it's all good!

• Love 2

Down to a 1.0 rating last night.  That is not a good drop, down 4 tenths from last week.  Especially troubling is that it finished 4th in the time period.  Finishing behind Fox with the World Series is understandable, but it also finished behind the comedies on ABC and Dateline on NBC.  Next week airs on Halloween, so the ratings likely won't be pretty then either.

I'm blaming the World Series, which will probably end by next Friday. I'm hoping CBS will send Elise & Bertham the go-ahead for a new season. Right now, I'm imagining Racers cutting promos dressed for Halloween . . . but in my limited imagination, I can only see Jim, dressed as Wreck-It Ralph.

I wouldn't worry about a drop-off against the World Series.  It was only in the 18-49 demographic; its overall viewership wasn't too far off from last week.  The World Series is still a fairly big deal, and a quick glance shows a lot of Friday shows dropped off from the previous week (which was also a season high for TAR as well, hence the bigger drop).  Plus, the World Series will end no later than Wednesday, so it won't be pre-empting anything by next Friday.

Edited by hincandenza

I don't think they've ever shown clips from multiple upcoming episodes in the middle of the season before (which I did not appreciate -- spoilers!).  It seems like maybe they're desperate to keep people watching.

For one night only...Survivor and TAR go back to back!

The spring cycles of SURVIVOR (30th edition) and THE AMAZING RACE will both premiere on Wednesday, Feb. 25, each with a special 90-minute episode, 8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT and 9:30-11:00 PM, ET/PT, respectively. THE AMAZING RACE will then move to its regular time period on Friday, Feb. 27 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT).

This season's finale is set for December 19th.

• Love 2

All right! Good news after shaky ratings. As much as I've had fun with TAR25, it's good to know we won't have to wait forever (or ever) for a new season. And I'm hoping to get out and meet some people for this season's finale.

I guess Madame Secretary is too big a hit for TAR to relocate back to Sundays. I've been cool with the move because of the lack of NFL overrun. The downside is that there would be a hiatus for two weeks thanks to March Madness. Maybe it could be moved to Wednesdays or Sundays during that. I'm grateful for TAR26, but two weeks of no show would make me a little itchy.

I thought I wouldn't like Fridays, but I do because it gives me Saturday and Sunday to actually watch. We never get to watch live, and when it was on Sunday, we had to watch at night when we were often too tired to stay up that long past the boy's bedtime. But now we can watch Saturday afternoon while he plays quietly (in theory) with his toys.

I guess Madame Secretary is too big a hit for TAR to relocate back to Sundays.

However it's making Sunday a lot older: Madame Secretary has a median age of 63, the second highest out of all broadcast shows. TAR helped skew the night a bit younger until it moved.  But at least we know there is one more season coming.  

I don't think they've ever shown clips from multiple upcoming episodes in the middle of the season before (which I did not appreciate -- spoilers!).  It seems like maybe they're desperate to keep people watching.

Yeah. And it seemed like a weird choice of clips too. Like, I get why they added the clip of Designated Intense Jackass Jim at that task, but... what looked like a sloped balance beam? The cupping task nobody picked when it was a Detour just last season? The highwire task (which, granted, new to Americans, but that task has already been done in that location on four other Amazing Race franchises)? I know all of them are going to entice me to watch. And the sad thing is this season has genuinely been better than the last few. Sure, it was a mistake to start with so three half-legs in a row, but aside from that this is the freshest the race has felt in years.

For one night only...Survivor and TAR go back to back!

This season's finale is set for December 19th.

So that first week, we get a double dose, Wednesday and Friday?  More than double, actually, because the premiere is 90 minutes.  That's awesome.

Something I'm finding interesting is that Undercover Boss is currently residing in the Friday at 8 slot until TAR comes back.  For the first 3 Fridays in January, it has managed two 1.4 ratings and a 1.5.  This past fall, TAR25 manged a whole lot of 1.0's to 1.2's, with one outlier of a 1.4 in October.  So bascially, UB is significantly improving what TAR was doing, and Hawaii Five-O and Blue Bloods are increasing a tiny bit as well.  It is surely something CBS is noticing.  

I'm extremely curious to see how the 90 minute premiere performs after Survivor on a Wednesday.  I think that the Friday ratings in the spring will be about where they were in the fall, but if the premiere performs well on a Wednesday, maybe that will be evidence for CBS that Fridays are not a great fit for it.  We'll find out soon enough.

In looking at the TAR listings page on The Futon Critic website, I noticed that after March 13 (episode 4) we won't get the following episode until April 3rd. So this has to be due to the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I had figured previously that we'd lose one week to this, I wasn't expecting two weeks. But it's better to know now that a month from now, right?

That was my concern with the move to Fridays. Would it be too much to hope for a move to Wednesdays during March Madness, if the ratings are excellent following Survivor? I'm concerned that the show will get left in the dust, between the hiatus and format.

So is there both the Wednesday premier AND a normal Friday episode this week?  I'm unclear about this Friday and our cable company's website has the worst schedule layout in creation.

Yes. The first ep is airing tomorrow and then the second will air this Friday.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

1.5 premiere rating. Higher than any episode of season 25. Even with the low rated premiere of season 24 when it was on Sunday. I'd say it did fair, about as expected. It will certainly go back to it's fall levels when its back on fridays. But it certainly won't convince cbs to consider moving it back to a weeknight.

1.1 rating for episode 2, the first Friday episode of the season.  That's almost exactly in line with what TAR25 was doing in the fall.  In my opinion, that's a pretty good outcome.  If it were lower, we'd be in serious jeopardy of cancellation.  If it were higher, then CBS might think we really like this dating stuff being shown to us.  Maybe this will convince them to wise up and give us a normal TAR27, assuming hopefully we're still doing well enough for renewal (in my opinion, being on Fridays at 8, which is the lowest rated hour of the week except Saturdays, staying at 1.0 or above should be enough to eke out a renewal)

1.2 rating last night, up a tenth from last week.  ABC aired its successful Shark Tank at 8 instead of 9 last night, so the fact that we were still able to rise is a feather in our cap for sure.  I'd be pretty optimistic about a TAR27 at this point, though I doubt we'll get extended premieres or venture away from Fridays again after the somewhat disappointing Wednesday debut last week.

Out of curiosity . . . how big a hit would be expected after the tournament? A two week hiatus and an unpopular format makes me concerned for TAR's future. It's almost like CBS is setting up the show for failure.

Out of curiosity . . . how big a hit would be expected after the tournament? A two week hiatus and an unpopular format makes me concerned for TAR's future.

Hard to say.  It depends if Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods have new episodes on April 3rd which is Good Friday (CBS hasn't published that week's schedule yet.)  If they're new, the blow shouldn't be that bad.  If they are then it could be a problem.

Is it doing better in a younger demographic?

Because of the dating aspect, the cast as a whole seem younger than it usually is, which is probably what CBS wanted.

Those numbers that I've been posting every week are for the 18-49 demographic, which is the "young adult" demo that CBS and all major networks covet.  They essentially determine the show's ad revenue.  Total viewers, surprisingly, means extremely little in the grand scheme of things, as advertisers have this notion that people over 50 aren't as easily swayed by advertising.

Last nights show got a premilinary 1.5 rating, which is up sharply from last week's 1.2.  However, there were a number of preemptions for local basketball, so you shouldn't read too much into that result until the "final" ratings are released on Monday, when those preemptions will be taken out and we can see what it actually achieved, which is why I didn't post that number this morning.  Even if it adjusts downward a bit, it should still be a decent result.

ETA: In response to the question of how it may return in April, based on past years, CBS will likely have doled out the majority of its renewals, TAR hopefully (and usually) included, before that time.  They've already renewed their freshmen drams (Madam Secretary, Scorpion, NCIS New Orleans), and a trio of sitcoms (Mom, 2 broke girls, Mike and Molly), along with Big Bang Theory which was renewed a while ago.  I'd be expecting a barrage of drama renewals, as well as Survivor and TAR, within the next couple weeks.

Edited by TheRabbi

The finals came in, and it did indeed adjust downard, down to a 1.3.  Still higher than episodes 2 and 3, and the last 3 episodes have gone 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.  Trending in the right direction. Hopefully the hiatus doesn't hurt too much, but I'm very confident for a renewal at this point.  And sorry I somehow missed that Survivor was already renewed!

I really hope that's the case. Between the dicey format, the two week "vacation" and the elimination of the most recognizable "name," all I can hear is Admiral Ackbar shouting, "IT'S A TRAP!!!" I'm very glass-half-empty in general on a good day, so I can see a situation where TAR gets relegated to summer seasons. Or canceled by CBS and picked up by one of the lesser cable networks. Or canceled, period; Phil Keoghan finding himself unemployed, while Jeff Probst continues to explore the fascinating world up his own ass.

• Love 1
(edited)

1.2 rating last night, down a tick from 3 weeks ago.  Seeing as its on a holiday weekend, with a 3 week break, and other shows plummeted substantially this week, that's a really solid result.  It's a little surprising CBS hasn't gone on its renewal spree yet, but it has to be happening soon.  It was within a tenth of the highest rated show of the night (granted, Shark Tank was a rerun which is usually in a league of its own on Fridays).

ETA:  It adjusted up to a 1.3 in the final ratings released today, even with the most recent episode.  Very good result.

Edited by TheRabbi

This past Sunday Madam Secretary got a 1.1, Good Wife got a 1.0, and Battle Creek a 0.7,,so we're beating all of them. Keep in mind that Sunday was also a holiday, but we've been about even with MS most of the spring season so far,,and ahead of the other two.

• Love 1

1.1 rating last night, down 2 ticks from last week.  It tied in the hour with Grimm on NBC and sitcoms on ABC.  I wouldn't be worried too much about the drop, it's still fluctuating at its fall levels (and the spring TAR season is notoriously lower rated).

I dunno.  I think these ratings are a red alert.  TAR is expensive to produce and half hour sitcoms on ABC  (much cheaper) are doing just as well in the ratings (or in the case of that Tim Allen show, slightly better).  I mean unless Tim Allen is getting some giant bloated "used to be a big star a decade ago" salary that's driving that show's expenses up a lot.

The main good news, as others here have noted, is that 18-49 demo, which isn't THAT bad.  So I suppose this really IS a test of if the old saw that that's all the network (and advertisers) care about is true or not.  Even still, 18-49 is a season average of 1.25 so far, and Last Man Standing, as a point of comparison, is a 1.28 (and even higher if you take JUST the period that this season of TAR has been airing into account vs. the entire season of Last Man Standing, which started last Fall). 

I think this is the best place for this comment, since it has to do with viewership as opposed to actual contestants.

I just saw the preview for Episode 10. No spoiler, but there was about 4 seconds of Hayley deriding Blair that made me think I might just skip it, because I don't like to watch things like that. I watch live, so no FF, and NBC's website sucks to FF too. I know I'll cave and watch it, because I really like the show in general. Which leads me to my question.

I realize that they show what they film, but the clip was of Hayley getting into a cab while Blair was putting their bags in the back. Skipping that would not effect the show any, it was only shown for the purpose of showing Hayley yelling. The clips on the NBC show Hayley in a more favorable light, albeit still in a "helpless female" role. There was a clip last week of her talking to the others outside the tents one morning where she was pleasant, but I guess that doesn't fit with the role they assigned her this season.

Do they think we want to see that? Do the viewers want to see that? Almost every year there is a couple who fight and I don't enjoy seeing it (on TV or in real life), but when it gets to the level of Jonathan and Hayley, it is too much and I wonder why so much of it is shown.

(edited)

1.0 rating last night, down a tick, and a season low.  We can take solace in the fact that, at this point in the year, the decisions have to have been made by now, based on the decent ratings from earlier.  Trending a tad downward is common for shows at this point as the weather gets nicer.

ETA: adjusted up to a 1.1 in the finals, even with the fast few weeks.

Edited by TheRabbi

They should never have moved it from Sunday to Friday. It really killed the show. The up fronts are in about two weeks and the Amazing Race usually starts taping in late May for a September premier. Hopefully, it will make the cut but it's really gonna be close for a renewal. Maybe, they will let them do one more knowing it's going to be cancelled which would be the show up more than usual.

Could "Black Monday" befall on The Amazing Race? That we can't tell yet - but, is there a chance that they may try to change the time slot this soon to another night if they renew it for at least one more season? Then again, Friday nights have been the "graveyard" for pretty much many TV series (barring the famous "Dallas" series, which aired on Friday nights).

My bet is that they will renew it just one more season (hopefully not all dating couples again!), with about a 5% chance that it would be a two season renewal.

Yeah, I could see a one season renewal & cancellation all at once. TAR & Survivor are such unique shows that I think you have to let them have a final announced season. Of course, TAR is in a "worse" state than Survivor. Hopefully, they will put it back on Sunday's and go back to the normal pre existing relationship pair. It's still a good show but this season was hampered by the blind date angle. Fingers crossed for next week and good news.

We should know tonight whether its been renewed for not.  The CBS newsfeeds are starting to ignite (so far Battle Creek and the McCarthy's have been confirmed canceled, and they've picked up 4 new dramas and a couple new comedies to series).  If it's renewed, we won't know the timeslot until Wednesday when the CBS upfronts take place.

I really do think we're going to get renewed.  Friday is a graveyard for TV shows these days and we're doing as good or better than the entire Sunday lineup (and Madam Secretary has already been renewed).  As for timeslot, I'd personally be surprised if it moved away from Fridays at 8, but I've certainly been wrong before.  Always an interesting time of the year!