Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E25: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

In the last phase of the competition, the final four vocalists perform in front of the coaches; the finalists perform 3 times, which includes one new solo cover, a duet with their coach and the debut of their first single.

Edited by walnutqueen
spelling & spite
(edited)

Final song choices:

Covers:

Team Adam

None.  (Yay!)

Team Alicia

Britton: "Good Lovin'" by The Young Rascals

Team Kelly

Brynn: "Skyfall" by Adele

Team Blake

Kyla: "With a Little Help from My Friends" by The Beatles

Spensha: "Merry Go 'Round" by Kacey Musgraves

Original Songs:

Team Adam

None.  (Yay!)

Team Alicia

Britton: "Where You Come From" by Britton Buchanan

Team Kelly

Brynn: "Walk My Way" Justin Tranter,  Julia Michaels, and Nick Monson

Team Blake

Kyla: "The Last Tear" by Tommy Sims and Randy Goodrum

Spensha: "Old Soul" by Sam James, Marti Dodson, and Kat Higgins

Coach Duets:

Team Adam

None.  (Yay!)

Team Alicia

Britton: "Wake Me Up" by Avicii

Team Kelly

Brynn: "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House

Team Blake

Kyla: "Only Love" by Wynonna Judd

Spensha: "Tell Me about It" by Tanya Tucker and Delbert McClinton

Make of these what you will.  Though with Avicii's recent, sudden passing, I can see Britton and Alicia's duet charting very well.

Edited by Ravon Okiro

Kyla and Blake's duet was not good. I like Kyla, but I'm  beginning to think she can't do anything but big sounds. 

I liked Brynn's original. Britton's was okay. But his Good Lovin  was embarrassing. 

Spensha does nothing for me. Blake's praise seems way over the top.

I would give it to Brynn, I guess.

• Love 5

I’m still getting through the episode.

I loved Kyla’s WALHFMF. I do wish she would have remembered the words and it felt like she just tried to power through it. She’s usually really good with dynamics and I feel like she must have put her attention elsewhere. 

I was really bored with Britton’s original. His duet also had a lot of wonky notes. Kyla’s original was also boring but I agree with Blake, as a vocalist she is clearly superior. I know the best voice doesn’t always win (or even win my vote) but Britton over Kyla would feel so wrong to me.

I could see Brynn winning. I could also see her having a career, mostly because she could take a few years to figure herself as an artist and still be young enough to be a viable popstar. She’s a better vocalist that Britton, but lacks consistency. 

Kyla was so bad tonight (IMO) it was almost like she was trying to lose (and I like Kyla).  Brynn and Britton do nothing for me, and I agree about him and Ferris Buehler upthread. If Brynn was supposed to be doing a power ballad like Skyfall, where was the power? Adele she ain't. I liked Spensha the best of the the four - and that was quite a makeover since last week.

• Love 1

11:10 PM iTunes Top 100. Obviously the West Coast and Rockies are not included in this.

Everyone's in the Top 100

#1 Britton (Where You Come From)
#3 Brynn (Walk My Way)
#8 Spensha (Old Soul)
#20 Kyla (The Last Tear)
#28 Brynn (Skyfall)
#32 Britton (Good Lovin')
#34 Kyla (With a Little Help From My Friends)
#41 Britton & Alicia (Wake Me Up)
#50 Spensha (Merry Go 'Round)
#53 Brynn & Kelly (Don't Dream It's Over)
#71 Spensha & Blake (Tell Me About It)
#73 Kyla & Blake (Only Love)

• Love 1

I’m caught up. Overall, I’m feeling meh about the finale. Everyone kind of did their thing without any real surprises. Not the strongest group overall. I liked Kyla’s first best and it went downhill from there. The most consistent of the night for me was Spensha.

• Love 1

I didn’t like Kyla’s “With a Little Help from My Friends” at all.  At the end she wasn’t even singing, just literally screaming - and I thought “Well, that’s typical Kyla - just yell and scream as loud as she can and people will fall all over her.” Then she completely surprised me with her second song - I thought it was beautiful! She has a really good  voice when she reins it in. I wish I had heard more of “that” Kyla throughout the season. 

As others have said, Brynn is inconsistent. When she’s good, she’s good, and she’s probably quite marketable as a pop singer. But she’s not consistently good. Her duet with Kelly highlighted her weaknesses. I love that song and Kelly did it really well. Brynn, not so much.  

I voted for Spensha even though I’m not a country fan. I like her voice. But actually I would be happy with any of the girls winning. They are all much better than Britton. I don’t know how he got this far and I really hope he doesn’t win. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

. I liked Kyla’s first best and it went downhill from there. The most consistent of the night for me was Spensha.

Isn’t it amazing how tastes can differ?  Dots and Stripes, you and I were saying the exact opposite thing about Kyla at exactly the same time! Lol.  I do agree with you that Spensha was the most consistent. 

Kyla was at the doctor's (pic on twitter) as she had overdone it voicewise, so perhaps that affected her tonight.
I am so not a fan of big voices, but, for some reason, I really like Kyla. I loved 'Let It Be' and it gave me chills in a season where most performances didn't.

I think she has beautiful vocal dynamics and I got to see the angelic side of her voice in her two other performances. I thought her duet with Blake was lovely.

Spensha is fine. I like her but wasn't wowed. I'd like to see her succeed after this and am sure Blake will help her out when he can.

I am not a Brynn fan. I just see an Ariana Grande imitation and I also felt that Kelly singing with her pointed out her limitations especially on a song I love.

I don't know what to think of Britton. I think he's getting there and finding his own voice and identity as a musician, however, I thought that performance of

Good Lovin' was so weird and off. Just came across as too try-hard. Did not like his original at all. Did not like Brynn's either. Repetitive can be catchy, but

that just was way too repetitive for me.

So.... let's see. The show was pushing Brynn and seems to want a younger person to win. Kyla's performances were all finished early.

I think it may be between Britton and Brynn. If so, I hope it's Britton as I feel he has more originality and is much more interesting.

However, I actually think Kyla is the best voice there, and, though she probably won't win, she is far above the others in that respect.

I think she has beautiful vocal dynamics and I got to see the angelic side of her voice in her two other performances. I thought her duet with Blake was lovely.

WORD!

The thing is, of all the 4 singers, Kyla was the only one who enunciated. I understood every word. Yes, I'm old, but I'm not THAT old, and all I got from Brynn was 3 words (Walk my way)!

• Love 2

I hope Kyla is feeling better. That first number was painful.  I had to switch the channel.  Man......I was going to make a comment, but, won't since finding out she wasn't well.  I normally like belters, but, she just hasn't appealed to me. Still, she's done so well.  It will be hard to touch her at this point.  I can't fault someone with her vocals winning. 

I started out loving Brynn, but, something happened and I lost interest.  When I really listen to her voice, it's not as good as I thought originally.  I'm not sure what happened, but, maybe, she just needs more training.

I have never liked Spensha's style.  Lovely lady and talented, but, just not to my taste. I hope Blake can help her.  

Britton is still my favorite (and not just because he's our local boy NC) and I think that he just had fun with it last night. Mathematically, I don't think that he can win, but, he's having a good time and making it count as long as possible.  I enjoyed his duet with Alicia a lot.  I wasn't too impressed with his original song that he wrote, but, that was courageous to do.  I enjoyed his Good Lovin' tune.  He isn't afraid to be crazy on stage.  I wish him well.  He's made us very proud. 

• Love 1

This season does not compare well to the last few seasons as far as talent goes.  Brynn is fantastic for a 15 year old but she is SO uneven...sometimes she soars and her voice is fantastic but other times she sounds like a 15 year old contestant on a singing show who is very mediocre.  I'm sure she will eventually be pretty good.  Kayla has a great voice but not sure it translates well to radio, etc.  Britton has a lot of talent but to be honest would probably not be in the final 4 in past seasons. I like Spensha the best but I don't think she will get the votes.  I think it will be between Brynn and Britton.  I think Britton is more talented at this point in time.

Don't Dream It's Over....one of my favorite songs EVER.  Wish that Kelly would have sang it solo though!

• Love 1

My how times have changed.  Voices like Kayla have not had any problems translating to radio in the past.  However today: They are not radio friendly. I guess that is why I no longer listen to the radio.

Kayla is by far the most talented and versatile singer on the show.  If anything, she has probably been more restrained than she would have in another era.

When my wife and I discuss the legendary singers who would not win this competition:  The list is truly amazing.

• Love 2

Yeah, it's almost like if you sing too well, you probably won't win.  lol  It's crazy, really.  I can see Linda Rondstadt going home before the semi-finals.  lol  I was totally ticked off that Brooke Simpson didn't win last season, but, that's how it goes sometimes.  I've learned to not get too invested.  And then, another North Carolinian comes along and I start rooting for them again. 

This goes to show what I know.  Apparently, not much.   This is the song that I didn't care for.  Hmmm.....I wonder if it's too little too late, though. 

Buchanan awaits 'The Voice' results as original song climbs to No. 1 on iTunes

https://www.wral.com/buchanan-awaits-the-voice-results-as-original-song-climbs-to-no-1-on-itunes-/17572649/#/questions/1585704

• Love 1

I was on Team Kyla for these past few weeks, but did not think she had a particularly good night.  For me the best two performances were Brittan's original and Brynn's Skyfall, followed a bit further back by Spensha's original.  Since Brittan's "Good Lovin'" was probably the most entertaining performance of the night, he may even have a shot at being the first fourth place finisher in the Semifinals to win this show, though I suspect Brynn has a better chance.  Truth is, I'm okay with any of them winning.

I didn't like Brynn's Skyfall at all. I forgot who sang it once before on this show, but she did such an awesome version that I bought it on iTunes and I rarely do that. I don't know, I just didn't like how low she sang it that it sounded blah.  I thought I had wanted her to win, but I'm going with Kyla.  But won't be surprised if Brynn wins.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

WORD!

The thing is, of all the 4 singers, Kyla was the only one who enunciated. I understood every word. Yes, I'm old, but I'm not THAT old, and all I got from Brynn was 3 words (Walk my way)!

That's because that's almost all Brynn sang. There were really, REALLY few lyrics to that song. Basically once she knew walk my way so we can get closer, she had the bleeping song down. I wanted to smack the lyricist about 60 seconds in. That said, she sang that godawful song well. I just never, ever want to be subjected to it again. (And Kelly raving about the songwriter? Ease up on the crack, sister!)

It was an interesting contrast for me when I compared that to Brittan's original song. I actually liked his. I thought he showed a lot of talent as a songwriter. I certainly felt he outwrote a number of the professional songwriters they've used in the past for some of the original songs (and Brynn's). Craig Wayne Boyd's comes to mind. Zzz. Unfortunately, Brittan had some serious performance issues.

I liked the first half of Kyla's "I Get By..." and I think she has an amazing voice, but by the end she went a bit too waily for my tastes. I'm aware that's personal preference on style, though. I would love to hear that woman rock a church. 

Spensha has grown on me throughout the season. I wasn't a fan of hers at the beginning, but I think she's gained more control and strangely may now be my favorite.

24 minutes ago, Valny said:

I didn't like Brynn's Skyfall at all. I forgot who sang it once before on this show, but she did such an awesome version that I bought it on iTunes and I rarely do that. I don't know, I just didn't like how low she sang it that it sounded blah.  I thought I had wanted her to win, but I'm going with Kyla.  But won't be surprised if Brynn wins.  

It was Amber Carrington in Season 4.  Her version was one of the best covers of Skyfall I've ever heard.  Though Brynn didn't come close to matching Amber, I do think she did a fairly creditable job.  It was one of the better performances of the night, which may be enough to get her the win in this very mediocre season.

This wasn't even Amber's best performance that season (her performance of Stay was sublime).  Hard to believe she only finished fourth.  Shows just how far the level of talent has fallen off since those early seasons.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2018 at 1:34 AM, Mystery Author said:

WORD!

Brynn's enunciation is awful! Didn't understand one word she sang on that song!

11 hours ago, Sharonana said:

Brynn's enunciation is awful! Didn't understand one word she sang on that song!

I had no problems understanding what Brynn was singing.  But of course it probably helped that on her original, 90% of the lyrics consisted of three words, while on her cover, I already know the lyrics to Skyfall by memory.

• Love 1