Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Chapter Thirty-Five: Brave New World

• Start Topic

With Fred trailing in the polls, Archie steps in to help; Veronica stays one step ahead after uncovering Hiram's latest scheme; Cheryl finalizes her emancipation from her mother; FP makes a surprising announcement to Jughead and the Serpents.

And the end of this season. And look I do love this show dearly.. I do, even if my love for it has faded, I love it and that’s probably why I’m so hard on it because I don’t understand how it became such a hot mess this season. I really think it’s because they got so much press last season and started to believe it and lost sight of what made the show what it was last season. But I do still love it.. I just hope I can learn to like it more next season.

But I’m really excited for this episode. So we will see.

And one last thing.. 

Last week since I read spoilers I knew Jughead wasn’t dead, I was surprised he was badly hurt because pictures I saw didn’t show that much damage for this episode and it was funny to me how everyone went from zero to 100 that he was dead.. like really? If I didn’t read spoilers I would have been worried that the show would give him amnesia or something because I think someone would have spilled that info pretty quickly.

Also yeah the opening sequence was a dream. I feel like everybody in the world guessed that. Also another thing a lot of people guessed, Fangs isn’t really dead.

So all the serpents went into a rumble and defected after Jughead got hurt. Also they are no more. 

Aw cute Bughead scene in the hospital.  But also ha.. what a quick Jughead is dead but he isn’t moment there show. And look I knew he wasn’t dead as I said before but really.. they went to a lot of trouble to try and say he might be and we didn’t even get five minutes in the episode..I mean.. eh.

Poor Fred feels like he doesn’t have a chance against the Lodges but he totally does! Also love that both core four couples are peacing out on the student council elections that they were all super excited about.

Hey look, the core four are finally realizing that Hiram probably hired a second Black Hood. That took longer than it should have. Also Archie probably won’t identify Hal because of the eyes or something.. Archie was always concerned about people’s eyes and Hal doesn’t have the eyes Archie always talks about.

Yay Cheryl is divorced from her mom!  And hi Nana Blossom! I’m glad she’s alright, last time we saw her Claudis was like strangling her with a phone or something, right? 

Alice is losing her mind, I guess and yelling at people from her porch. Betty is clearly doing a great job of keeping her mom sane as she told Jughead she was.

Aw Bughead says I love you again. It’s been a while.

Archie telling Hiram’s friend who may be a Sheriff that there are more than one black Hood won’t do anything.

Even though I think the Black hood story was dumb and stupid, LR is really really good. Her scene with Fred was good. A little too quick but here we are.

Kevin and moose.. meh. Kevin can do better. Plus moose is grieving. Is this real?

So.. is anybody running for President now? Oh Ethel.

Aw. All the SS are being transferred. I hope this doesn’t stick. Remember when you tried to separate Jughead earlier this season.. because that worked out so well. Why introduce that idea again? 

I have no idea what the Lodges deal is and frankly I don’t think I even care.

Good friendship scene with Veronica Archie and Betty.

Also great FP is drinking again. And now Jughead has to move to Toledo. No. And I get what FP is trying to do here but still.. 

Mrs. Mcoy basically staring what I’ve been saying the SS probably won’t vote but if they did they should vote for him.

Also tall boy was the second black Hood. Maybe, maybe not.

Polly and her farm talk. You know Polly last time I saw you, I was rooting for you because you were awesome and all that about chic but I talking about forgiveness for your father who’s a serial killer.. no. Sorry.Also cute babies. 

Is Hermione lying to Veronica about what Hiram is doing with the white Wyrm? And hey look all the teenagers are enlisting Mrs. Mcly as their lawyer. 

Love that Cheryl’s mom thinks she is a great mom, better than Nana Rose. Well, Mrs.Blossom, Nana Rose called Cheryl’s crush to inform her you sent her away when you suspected she liked girls, so.. yeah she’s better. 

So I guess it really is tall boy as the second black Hood. But that’s because of the actors real life condition right? 

The sheriff is shutting down the white Wyrm. I’m more surprised Cheryl knows where Jugheads trailer is. That kind of is terrible for the white Wyrm but really.. I feel like it’s hard for me to understand this deep connection Jughead has all of a sudden frown for the Southside. The show never got me into it and yeah.. another thing they tried and failed to do. 

Ha. All the serpents are living at the Andrews. Amazing. I love Fred. He’s the greatest. And Archie and Jughead.. best friends.

Yes!! Everyone wearing serpent jackets to make a point!!

And oh my god.. we get a Jughead and Veronica plotting together scene. But yeah.. when Veronica is given her choice and it includes giving everything Lodge of hers to get Pops I was surprised she said okay to it all. My guess is next season she’ll probably regret this choice, right? Also Veronica owns Pops now? 

Aw the Bughead scene darkness scene.. aw. I liked that scene but it worried me. As if I should be waiting for impending doom and we’re going to circle back to this.

Also yeah.. everything feels super fast paced and all the scenes are super fast. I get that they have a lot to pack in but really..

Mayor Race. Also Jughead, I don’t think bettys doing great.

Also ugh.. I really hate this. Again I feel like thus “you have no power over me” means we aren’t done with this Hal/Betty/darkness thing. It’ll be back next season.

Hey Archie is President. And the ss students get to stay. Because jackets!

Aw FP is handing over the torch. But also.. ugh giving it to Jughead who’s 16 and shouldn’t be doing this but here we are. Also Cheryl is getting a jacket.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Aw Alice and Betty. 

Aw. Fred didn’t win. That sucks. I’m surprised. I really thought he would win. Also it seems like Hermione is more sad she did end up winning. Like I don’t think she wants this anymore.

And now Archie is going to make his make his bones or whatever the hell with Hiram. Which means.. nothing good. And he has a knife? And not even that big of a knife. Also Hiram being all “you’re talking crazy” about everything Arnie said he did makes me laugh for some reason. Also.. all Archie did was say “whatever you do, I’m going to be there.. just in case?” What? Okay I thought I was promised like actually things were going to happen? All Archie did was be like “you had all these people killed but only I saw.. and to scare you I’m just going to put a knife in your desk” what?!?! I mean.. Hiram can clearly hire someone in like ten seconds and have you killed Archie. This little moment did nothing.

Hey look a core four scene at the diner.. and Veronica is going to open a speakeasy in it. 

And now Hiram is bringing up south siders and blossoms to traffic drugs and brothels. 

Ew. Polly is now bringing farm people into Riverdale. That doesn’t sound good. Polly was awesome for a little bit and now she isn’t again.

Aw the Bughead hotel scene. And he asked her to join the serpents. Aw.  I love them. And Jughead didn’t have to leave? I remember spoilers staring he was leaving!

Ahhh! Archie getting arrested! What a way to end the season. But also.. aside from putting Archie in jail, how would this tear the core four apart? If anything I see it bringing them closer together.

Pretty good episode. Unsure how I feel about the season itself still.

• Love 2

Polly has been brainwashed by a cult, seemingly.  I figured that’s where this was going.

I’m not sure Hiram’s plan of breaking up the gang by framing Archie and thus giving them a united purpose to rally around makes a lick of sense, but hey, you do you, Hiram.

I like that Cheryl gets to totally break the Serpents’ established colour scheme, because that’s just what she does.

• Love 16
(edited)

^ Nice thoughts, WhosThatGirl.

I was too distracted during the episode so didn't watch in full. But every Bughead scene melted my heart. <3 I am so glad as a Bughead fan there is no worry about their relationship going into season 3 either. Perfect.

I can't wait to watch (and rewatch lol) the Bughead scenes. More thoughts once I watch the entire episode! 

Edited by Wilpen
  • Love 6
Just now, SeanC said:

Polly has been brainwashed by a cult, seemingly.  I figured that’s where this was going.

I’m not sure Hiram’s plan of breaking up the gang by framing Archie and thus giving them a united purpose to rally around makes a lick of sense, but hey, you do you, Hiram.

I like that Cheryl gets to totally break the Serpents’ established colour scheme, because that’s just what she does.

Right? I said it too.. if anything, everyone is going to be all for getting Archie out right? I’m so confused by Hiram logic. Also yes.. at least his whole buying all Riverdale isn’t only about. Aprison.. there’s drug selling and brothels being built.

Im glad Bughead is on healthy and happy terms. And I guess Varchie is too? Although eh. From what I read he supposedly was proving his love.. I guess by putting the knife in the desk.. ? I don’t know.

• Love 2

Ok I have a headache from rolling my eyes so hard.  The Andrews home being turned into a hostel for Serpents. Sigh.  Whatever.

I think Veronica is VERY foolish working against her own family in such a way.  Does she realize losing Hiram means losing her exquisite wardrobe (minus a few questionable skirts), imported cupcakes and town cars?  

I don't think she needs to agree with everything her family does but she should remember where her bread is buttered and it's not going to be in some tacky "Speak Easy."  When Hiram started talking about dissolving the trust fund, I sure would have backed down.  Throw every Serpent in Riverdale out on their a$$.  The little Princess clearly has no respect for the value of a dollar.  

IF she and Archie were to go the distance, does she really think she'd be happy with him, Father Figure Fred, Milkshakes with The Serpent Prince and his Bubblegum Girlfriend?  Veronica is not cut out for middle class splendor.   And there is nobody in her life worth surrendering all the advantages Hiram afforded.   I'll still love her for her wardrobe but, ugh.  Maybe I'm just in a mood.

On a small scale level, I'm glad Hiram didn't let Veronica steamroll him.  He's managed to turn most situations to his advantage in one way or the other.  If Veronica was going to stop him, he was going to make sure it cost her.  He reminds me of Wilhemina Slater from Ugly Betty.  She did unspeakably evil things, even to her own family (Sister and Daughter) but he won't stop until he wins.   Though he won't stop, even for his daughter, I thought MC played those scenes very well.  If anything can hurt him, it was the defection of Veronica.  His feud with Archie looks like it will be quite memorable.  The only thing Hiram likes as much as money, is revenge.  He's the Sultan of Scheming.

Final shallow note:

Hermione looks EXQUISITE in glasses.  I was not fond of her blouse but those glasses saved the whole look.  Flawless Madame Mayor.

The rest.....meh.

• Love 3

Fangs is alive! Maybe he’ll get more lines next season.

Jughead and Betty are too cute. It’s just ridiculous how cute. I mean, they were taking care of cute babies together! It’s too much cuteness.

As for Betty being the Serpent Queen, didn’t she already join the Serpents? 

I want a Nana Rose, Cheryl, and Toni spinoff.

Of course there’s a speakeasy in the basement of Pop’s. It’s like the Peach Pit After Dark!

Well, was Archie expecting Hiram to just give up? Poor stupid Archie.

• Love 15
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Fangs is alive! Maybe he’ll get more lines next season.

Jughead and Betty are too cute. It’s just ridiculous how cute. I mean, they were taking care of cute babies together! It’s too much cuteness.

As for Betty being the Serpent Queen, didn’t she already join the Serpents? 

I want a Nana Rose, Cheryl, and Toni spinoff.

Of course there’s a speakeasy in the basement of Pop’s. It’s like the Peach Pit After Dark!

Well, was Archie expecting Hiram to just give up? Poor stupid Archie.

I mean technically Betty is, she did that awful dance. So yeah, but I guess Jughead officially asking her is a moment and it is! I’m glad they ended this season happy and not ambiguous like last season. I’m just sad we never had a moment with the crown earrings.. and if no one knows what I’m talking about, around the time of shooting this episode or the one before this one, Lili was holding crown earrings and said “Betty get new earnings” on her Instagram. 

And yeah.. seriously, what was the point of Archie? I’m so Lost on the point of that. He’s an idiot. I knew he would do something stupid.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

Loved the Bughead moments! Lili is really just a Goregous woman her hair down after sexy times with Jug? WOWZA. I just knew Archie was being stupid going to and Threating Hiram. Don't see how Archie being arrested would break up the Core Four but I'm pretty sure Hiram is not done. Did I mention I love Bughead so much LOL. And is Betty Giggling then Straddling Jug her way of saying yes she will be his Serpent Queen? Hope so I wanna see that pink Jacket next season RAS lol.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Loved the Bughead moments! Lili is really just a Goregous woman her hair down after sexy times with Jug? WOWZA. I just knew Archie was being stupid going to and Threating Hiram. Don't see how Archie being arrested would break up the Core Four but I'm pretty sure Hiram is not done. Did I mention I love Bughead so much LOL. And is Betty Giggling then Straddling Jug her way of saying yes she will be his Serpent Queen? Hope so I wanna see that pink Jacket next season RAS lol.

I’m assuming it means yes. Jugheads narration implies she said yes.

Also isn’t Cheryl’s jacket red not pink?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Meanwhile, in the Legion of Doom...

Cheryl gets to wear a pink Serpent jacket because...do you want to tell Cheryl not to wear pink? 

LOL it was red but if Cheryl wanted to you best believe she would get too lol

1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

That is true he did call it a happy moment overshadowed by the Cataslimic event the next day 

• Love 5
(edited)

I mean I liked the episode. It felt a little fast, like certain scenes were really fast.

I could have done without Polly though. I’m assuming, her and her cult leader are one of our villains next season and the the cartoon character that is Hiram. I’m somewhat sad about Polly, she was kind of awesome last time we saw her and now she’s this. Also I’m sorry Betty but your niece and nephew might be screwed up because your sister is raising them in a cult but I digress.

Speaking of,  like I said it seems like Hermione isn’t into being mayor anymore, and seems over helping Hiram, so we shall see what happens with her next season.

I really want to know what Hiram’s logic is getting Archie arrested, the core four are going to stand by her no matter what probably. At least Betty and Jughead, Veronica could be swayed I guess. And now the SS serpents seem to like him too so he may have them as well. I’m curious about Hiram’s end game.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Lili said before season 2 don't be Surpised if Betty Is wearing a pink Serpent during the season. Now that's she likely Serpent Queen maybe that Pink Jacket is coming next season. Yes Cheryl s jacket is red(My favorite color)

• Love 1
Just now, jay741982 said:

Lili said before season 2 don't be Surpised if Betty Is wearing a pink Serpent during the season. Now that's she likely Serpent Queen maybe that Pink Jacket is coming next season. Yes Cheryl s jacket is red(My favorite color)

I read that too. I would be surprised if she didn’t have one next season. Then again.. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone forgets everything that happened in this episode like they did at the start of this season. ;)

(edited)
36 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I really thought that's where the Cooper plot this season was heading. The Coopers would be dealing with trying to get Polly and the twins away from The Farm. Instead we got the Black Hood.

I'm so sick and tired of Hiram's need to bludgeon everyone. Jughead was way more on the ball and smarter than Archie and Hiram still got the best of Jughead. Archie is a dumbass. There is no need to frame him for murder. It's easier to leave Archie alone and let him continue to be irrelevant.

So Hiram's plan is for a vast criminal empire. He's stupid. As much money as there is in illegal stuff, there's more in legal shit. Moonshine vs the actual alcohol and spirits business. Heroin vs oxycodone. Meth vs amphetamines. Underground gambling vs Las Vegas, online sports betting, and the lottery. If I thought this was part of a long game where Hiram was expanding his illegal enterprises while getting political power so that he's in a prime position to turn his illegal businesses to legal businesses then I might have some actual respect for Hiram. Instead he has his dumb legion of doom or maple cabal.

I don't know how to view Moose and Kevin. Grief sex because he needs some physical comfort or he's just a teenage boy and always horny.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Yeah.. Kevin and Moose isn’t great. But I think we’re supposed to think it is? Also Moose probably still isn’t going to come out? Wasn’t that his issue in the first season? Kevin deserves better.

• Love 1

I can see Cheryl being a great number 2 for Jughead and the Serpents. Betty might be queen but Cheryl should be VP. She seemed to really get along with the other Serpents. 

I thought Cheryl was going to take the Serpents to the Thornhill estate because it's so large but sure let's stuff 30 people into the Andrews house.

So Tall Boy was the fake black hood. Maybe because the actor didn't play the part because he was wearing a mask but I don't think that Archie could take a guy of that hight and size in a fight. 

So Hiram is framing Archie for a murder in another town. A town that Hiram has no pull but maybe he does. Can't wait for season 3 where Hiram Lodge gets screwed over by those meddling kids. 

• Love 4
(edited)
19 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Very correct, dont know what I was typing! Its Cheryl's signature color after all! All clothes must coordinate with her amazing red lipstick! And hell yes Nana Rose is better guardian than you, Mrs. Blossom! 

So much drama this week! I get that Hiram wants to get those meddling kids off his back, but this is just going to unite them all to save Archie. Especially now that Archie and Jughead brought the North and South side kids all together. Its also kind of fun seeing Fred and FP hanging out. 

It was sweet seeing all the North and South side students together, supporting each other. Even Reggie, who was so freaked out by almost shooting a guy, he has become totally pro Archie and his bring the school together cause. I hope we get more of Josie and Reggie next season, they seem like fun. 

They offer the Serpents asylum in the northside? And then run around in a panic in the dead of night? Guys, its walking across town, not scaling the Berlin Wall, calm down. Of course, this is Riverdale after all, they look for any excuse to be as Extra as humanly possible. 

So looks like Polly joined a cult, and thats going to be yet another mess to deal with. Maybe this is how we meet Sabrina? 

Bughead was super cute this week. Super, super cute. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Very correct, dont know what I was typing! Its Cheryl's signature color after all! All clothes must coordinate with her amazing red lipstick! And hell yes Nana Rose is better guardian than you, Mrs. Blossom! 

So much drama this week! I get that Hiram wants to get those meddling kids off his back, but this is just going to unite them all to save Archie. Especially now that Archie and Jughead brought the North and South side kids all together. Its also kind of fun seeing Fred and FP hanging out. 

It was sweet seeing all the North and South side students together, supporting each other. Even Reggie, who was so freaked out by almost shooting a guy, he has become totally pro Archie and his bring the school together cause. I hope we get more of Josie and Reggie next season, they seem like fun. 

They offer the Serpents asylum in the northside? And then run around in a panic in the dead of night? Guys, its walking across town, not scaling the Berlin Wall, calm down. Of course, this is Riverdale after all, they look for any excuse to be as Extra as humanly possible. 

So looks like Polly joined a cult, and thats going to be yet another mess to deal with. Maybe this is how we meet Sabrina? 

Bughead was super cute this week. Super, super cute. 

Sabrina's spinoff is debuting on Netflix later this year or early next year AND she s not gonna be on Riverdale Per RAS.

6 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t think we’re ever going to meet Sabrina on this show, but I could be wrong. I feel like that’s going to be a separate show.

It is. RAS said they would be Separate

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Cheryl gets to wear a red Serpent jacket because...do you want to tell Cheryl not to wear red? 

No, she'll probably say or do (or both) something racist/anti-black and get excused for it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, opus said:

Remind me how Cassidy (sp?) died?

I can’t rememeber either.

Im curious what’s going to happen next season but as I said.. I’m really happy for Bughead and that they seem to be in a good place. Last season they ended up in the air and I’m glad Jughead didn’t leave town and that’s he’s staying at Riverdale. My Bughead shipper heart is happy right now.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
I have no idea why I wrote white happy.. I’m pretty sure I was writing something else and that came out. I’m in a happy Bughead got. Seriously. Last season with this ship had me all over the place..this season not so much.
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I can’t rememeber either.

Im curious what’s going to happen next season but as I said.. I’m really happy for Bughead and that they seem to be in a good place. Last season they ended up in the air and I’m glad Jughead didn’t leave town and that’s he’s staying at Riverdale. My Bughead shipper heart is happy right now.

I'm pretty sure it was in the ep at the cabin, but that's as far as my memory goes.

Oh well, someone will have the answer. Enjoy your Bughead-ness :)

4 minutes ago, opus said:

I'm pretty sure it was in the ep at the cabin, but that's as far as my memory goes.

Oh well, someone will have the answer. Enjoy your Bughead-ness :)

I thought so too. Was it one of the robbers? If so.. I mean.. again I ask, how will this affect the Riverdale towns? I mean yeah Archie didn’t do it, but if Hiram is framing him, it’s also like self defense? Even though Archie didn’t kill anyone.Also making Archie a fall guy for a murder he didn’t commit? Seriously Hiram.. it’s Archie! He stabbed your desk! Like really. He should have framed Jughead at least. I don’t think anyone’s going to believe Archie can really kill anyone.

3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Kevin and moose.. meh. Kevin can do better. Plus moose is grieving. Is this real?

When Kevin and Moose found Jason's body back at the beginning of the show, they were heading down to the river to do......well, as Moose put it, "Everything!  Uh, except kiss!"  

Okay, who else had to google who the hell Cassidy was, even after Archie brought up his murder to Hiram? *raises hand*

If you're like me and  can't remember: https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/05/riverdale-cassidy/

He was the cashier/robber at Veronica's Lodge (hee) who Archie chased into the woods. Andre took over, told Archie to leave, and you hear gunshots. Andre was also conveniently murdered by Small Fry so there's that. Remind me to never work for the Lodges: their health and retirement plans SUCK. (Just ask Tallboy, who wasn't even the Black Hood but got murdered by the Corrupt Sheriff/Real BH anyway! Hiram is the Dirty Bomb of gangsters--he goes off and the damage just keeps spreading.)

Well! That was a good wrapup as far as it went, along with setting up the two/three main threads of next season: proving Archie's innocence, foiling Hiram, and the whole Farm Cult Polly thing. That poor actress has been very ill-served by this season; she just shows up to shove the plot forward and tote those adorable dumpling babies across the set. I still find it bizarre that neither Cheryl nor Penelope has asked about those twins ONCE, after all the brouhaha last season! Don't they even care about the Blossom Blood and the will and all that atonal jazz?

Anyway! Things that I adore about Riverdale and its pocket universe:

Veronica deciding to run a speakeasy in Pop's basement. Uh, okay, I'm pretty sure cabaret licenses are A) impossible to get for minors and B) thoroughly mobbed up. Ms. McCoy may be a good lawyer but she's not a magician! Of course, this is the town that is A Okay with minors not only hanging out but tending bar at the Wyrm, so whatever, right? Maybe this will resurrect the rest of the Pussycats from the POC netherworld they're currently stored in (I watched the crowd scenes and didn't spot Chuck, Val, or Silent Melody anywhere.) 

Hiram's logic, which seems to be "burn your bridges before they're built." He wants to be lord of a crime empire, I guess? Which, I guess? Is a thing? That could be an ambition? But how is he planning to reconcile his wife being mayor, his private prison, his estranged daughter and her boyfriend whom HE HAD ARRESTED, the Ghoulies/Serpents crowd and the crime families that are gunning for his blood and nearly killed his own family like two days ago? Plus the nutjob duo of Penelope and Evil-er Brother Claudius, plus Penny the world's most ragged-ass lawyer? He's got an insane amount of balls in the air here and that's not even factoring in the whole he's on parole thing--if V really wanted to get rid of him she should just call the New York authorities with a list of his doings. 

Archie, after flirting with competence last week, once again plunges into the depths with the whole "threaten you! I mean it!" thing with Hiram: again, all he would have to do is drop a line to the other crime families (who aren't happy about Nick St. Clair or the Poutine debacle, nor will they be thrilled with Hiram creating some kind of One Night In Bangkok fever dream/cash generator in the South Side without cutting them in) and bingo, problem solved. The only damn reason Hiram's still around is that the people who know enough to put him down insist on doing things in the most idiotic, sidewinding way possible. 

(Who is Hiram planning on selling all this sex and drugs to, by the way? He's destroyed the South Side and most of his customer base! Plus, he knows that Hermione isn't mayor for life, right? That this kind of open illegal crap isn't probably going to fly with most of the North Side people even if they do sneak over to partake now and again? THIS BUSINESS PLAN IS ILL THOUGHT OUT. I'm just saying.)

Moving on to Betty and her sad family: man, that sucks, doesn't it? I'm amazed that a florid soap opera like Riverdale took enough time out to point out the horrendous damage done to the Cooper family in the aftermath of the Black Hood debacle. I mean, it was mostly there to set up Polly being the one who's actually dark/cult influence blah blah blah, but hey, take what you can get.

Betty and Juggie 4-EVA! Now, was that snuggling in the Five Seasons (who give rooms to gang members in their jackets, I see--who paid for that suite, anyway?) supposed to hint that Jug wanted Betty to be his Queen in the co-running the gang way, or was that a proposal? It's obviously a terrible, terrible idea, they aren't even seniors and so on, but still, it warmed the cockles of my cold, dead heart. And hell, considering the fact that a bunch of teenagers are running everything anyway, maybe Betty will have better luck than Polly did.

• Love 12
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Okay, who else had to google who the hell Cassidy was, even after Archie brought up his murder to Hiram? *raises hand*

If you're like me and  can't remember: https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/05/riverdale-cassidy/

He was the cashier/robber at Veronica's Lodge (hee) who Archie chased into the woods. Andre took over, told Archie to leave, and you hear gunshots. Andre was also conveniently murdered by Small Fry so there's that. Remind me to never work for the Lodges: their health and retirement plans SUCK. (Just ask Tallboy, who wasn't even the Black Hood but got murdered by the Corrupt Sheriff/Real BH anyway! Hiram is the Dirty Bomb of gangsters--he goes off and the damage just keeps spreading.)

Well! That was a good wrapup as far as it went, along with setting up the two/three main threads of next season: proving Archie's innocence, foiling Hiram, and the whole Farm Cult Polly thing. That poor actress has been very ill-served by this season; she just shows up to shove the plot forward and tote those adorable dumpling babies across the set. I still find it bizarre that neither Cheryl nor Penelope has asked about those twins ONCE, after all the brouhaha last season! Don't they even care about the Blossom Blood and the will and all that atonal jazz?

Anyway! Things that I adore about Riverdale and its pocket universe:

Veronica deciding to run a speakeasy in Pop's basement. Uh, okay, I'm pretty sure cabaret licenses are A) impossible to get for minors and B) thoroughly mobbed up. Ms. McCoy may be a good lawyer but she's not a magician! Of course, this is the town that is A Okay with minors not only hanging out but tending bar at the Wyrm, so whatever, right? Maybe this will resurrect the rest of the Pussycats from the POC netherworld they're currently stored in (I watched the crowd scenes and didn't spot Chuck, Val, or Silent Melody anywhere.) 

Hiram's logic, which seems to be "burn your bridges before they're built." He wants to be lord of a crime empire, I guess? Which, I guess? Is a thing? That could be an ambition? But how is he planning to reconcile his wife being mayor, his private prison, his estranged daughter and her boyfriend whom HE HAD ARRESTED, the Ghoulies/Serpents crowd and the crime families that are gunning for his blood and nearly killed his own family like two days ago? Plus the nutjob duo of Penelope and Evil-er Brother Claudius, plus Penny the world's most ragged-ass lawyer? He's got an insane amount of balls in the air here and that's not even factoring in the whole he's on parole thing--if V really wanted to get rid of him she should just call the New York authorities with a list of his doings. 

Archie, after flirting with competence last week, once again plunges into the depths with the whole "threaten you! I mean it!" thing with Hiram: again, all he would have to do is drop a line to the other crime families (who aren't happy about Nick St. Clair or the Poutine debacle, nor will they be thrilled with Hiram creating some kind of One Night In Bangkok fever dream/cash generator in the South Side without cutting them in) and bingo, problem solved. The only damn reason Hiram's still around is that the people who know enough to put him down insist on doing things in the most idiotic, sidewinding way possible. 

(Who is Hiram planning on selling all this sex and drugs to, by the way? He's destroyed the South Side and most of his customer base! Plus, he knows that Hermione isn't mayor for life, right? That this kind of open illegal crap isn't probably going to fly with most of the North Side people even if they do sneak over to partake now and again? THIS BUSINESS PLAN IS ILL THOUGHT OUT. I'm just saying.)

Moving on to Betty and her sad family: man, that sucks, doesn't it? I'm amazed that a florid soap opera like Riverdale took enough time out to point out the horrendous damage done to the Cooper family in the aftermath of the Black Hood debacle. I mean, it was mostly there to set up Polly being the one who's actually dark/cult influence blah blah blah, but hey, take what you can get.

Betty and Juggie 4-EVA! Now, was that snuggling in the Five Seasons (who give rooms to gang members in their jackets, I see--who paid for that suite, anyway?) supposed to hint that Jug wanted Betty to be his Queen in the co-running the gang way, or was that a proposal? It's obviously a terrible, terrible idea, they aren't even seniors and so on, but still, it warmed the cockles of my cold, dead heart. And hell, considering the fact that a bunch of teenagers are running everything anyway, maybe Betty will have better luck than Polly did.

Any bughead scenes are wins for me so I don’t care if it’s a bad idea.. considering we got like almost nothing this season, I take what I can get.

And yeah I assumed Cassidy was one of the robbers and again I say if the Riverdale town even buys Archie as a killer(which really? It’s Archie!)can’t the core four just be like it was self defense? Because it was. I mean Archie didn’t kill anyone.. obviously but all the same.. 

And yeah.. I think the show is setting up Polly as the darker Cooper. Which maybe it will give the actress something to do.. I think bettys darkness is not like Hal’s, in fact I think it’s more like Alice’s. Alice has a dark side/need to be perfect, and I think Betty is more like her than Hal. Also Polly was way into forgiving Hal quite quickly. It makes me think Polly is more like Hal. And we don’t know much about  Polly before the show, from what I gather she didn’t seem as image conscious as Betty and her mother have been. But yeah... I don’t know how I feel about introducing a cult into this show though.

Next season should be interesting, the Southside Serpents all seem integrated into Riverdale now. And for some reason I don’t think Hiram really thought that out. Then again.. the show might not remember this next season so we will see. 

And like I’ve said I don’t think Hermione wants to be mayor anymore. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s planning a coup on her husband. Hell. I welcome it. Maybe she and Fred are going to start something up again? Their last scene together seemed to hint at it, didn’t it?

Its going to be a long five months.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Maybe she and Fred are going to start something up again? Their last scene together seemed to hint at it, didn’t it?

I'm betting yes! Maybe that means Serena and Kevin's dad can get back together now too! What happened with Kevin's dad and all that, by the way? He managed to arrest Hal despite not even being sheriff anymore but Hiram and Minetta get all the credit??? How is it that Kevin isn't drowning social media with that story?

• Love 2
Just now, Snookums said:

I'm betting yes! Maybe that means Serena and Kevin's dad can get back together now too! What happened with Kevin's dad and all that, by the way? He managed to arrest Hal despite not even being sheriff anymore but Hiram and Minetta get all the credit??? How is it that Kevin isn't drowning social media with that story?

Yeah, I don’t know what happened with that love affair? Last time it was mentioned it was Kevin and Josie sitting their parents down being all “we need to discuss this..”

And yeah Kevin posted the picture of Fred, FP, and his dad online I think? And nothing? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wingster55 said:

No, she'll probably say or do (or both) something racist/anti-black and get excused for it. 

Pretty much.

• Love 2
(edited)

Alright, alright, alright, I... LOVED most of this episode. 

Ive already said how I liked that Riverdale has been bigger and badder in Season 2. But tonight felt VERY Season 1. It was a little refreshing. 

To expand on that, most of the episode taking place in the high school was apart of it, Archie and Jughead feeling like brothers again, was a big part of it. Also, it pretty much followed the same format of last seasons finale, introduce a bunch of new plots, while touching on a few wrapped up ones. 

Everyone knew Jughead wasn’t dead, and idk I just felt like his sacrifice it was.. for nothing? The Serpents are really still there, the Ghoulies are too, Hiram’s still in control? I guess you could say this pushed Archie over the edge with Hiram? Which drove him to that point (I’ll get to that) but it just felt like a useless twist to make us tune in. 

Real pissed we didn’t see the Rumble. You’ve been building to this all last episode and it’s offscreen?! Gtfo. 

Archie. My MVP. I feel his story is the only story to make a lick of sense throughout the season so happy to see they didn’t completely botch it in the end. I mean, it does baffle me how many were confused on the story they were telling with him this season. It was obvious he felt powerless and didn’t see that power in anyone but Hiram, to which he took advantage of, I mean I would’ve dragged the Wrestling/ physical/mental strength between them out more than one episode before Archie turned but I guess Riverdale don’t work like that? Archie saving the Serpents was full circle instead of Red(or Dark), alright bad joke. But, he was fun joining Jug this episode I think him nodding to Jughead after he won the election was the best. 

His threat of Hiram makes sense. I see some trying to apply real world logic to a comic book show, trust me, it never works, see Cheryl as Red Arrow last week. Archie threatenend Hiram because he couldn’t nail him for hiring Tall Boy, he did it to shake Hiram , not stop him. You can’t let someone like Hiram have free reign, so he put some pressure on, and let him know he’s protecting Riverdale. Plus threatening him with the blood oath knife was pretty badass. Hiram getting him arrested is to I assume have Archie confess to his friends that he knew Andre had killed both Papa Poutine and the hillbilly. Since Jughead has this moral gangster code and Veronica and Betty (to his knowledge) aren’t on board with murder it should shake the dynamic up, and it’s only his first move, why not take Out the guy who’s trying to be Red headed Batman of Riverdale? I imagine it’s now the entire core four vs Hiram for most of next season, plus his Legion Of Doom. 

Oh yeah, Jughead is King Serpent! Cause we all didn’t see that coming! I loved most of Jughead with Archie this episode, gangster Jug just isn’t fun anymore. I miss dectective Jug. I am curious to see how he handles the Ghoulies next season though. 

Veronica was the second best tonight! Dealing with Hiram was good, I mean business wise, she lost their deal. But, morally she won and I respect it. She never really went full dark to me, but, I guess it’s fine. 

Betty Cooper just, really didn’t do anything for me this episode, besides that scene with Fred I didnt find anything intriguing, her scene with Hal could’ve been really nuanced and had meaning or growth but she just went the denial root and did the “you have no power” thing but I guess it’s cause we’re not done with Hal? Also was mad Archie didn’t have a conversation with Hal bout his father. Hopefully we get that in S3, lmao what if they’re cellmates? Damn it now I’m setting expectations. 

I enjoy Betty most of the time, but her Darkness being her main storyline just didn’t come all the way around for me. Maybe it was because her scenes were more with Jug and Bughead has just worn on me now with the whole “youre a gang leader, I’m psycho, but we’re not evil!” Story. Although by Jugs words the end may be soon for them.  Betty Vs Chic and stuff just didn’t come around to the finale and I feel like Betty’s story just didn’t have a proper conclusion going into next season. 

Way past of the point of caring about Moose, that’s all I’ll say. Are Reggie and Josie a thing? 

The Northsiders in Serpent jackets were kinda cool. 

Oh, and that last scene, I was 100% they were doing a school shooting/massacre thing, Archie looking on at the bleachers, the anthem started I thought forsure Riverdale was about to get too real. Idk if I thought it would’ve been too much, I mean were definitely in the politics water with this show so that would’ve been a next step, but Archie in cuffs was enough for me. 

I enjoyed this season, this episode, but let’s hope for a more balanced, more structured and well-paced Riverdale in Season 3. 

4 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Cheryl is the Damon Salvatore of Riverdale so I’d expect no less. 

Edited by TaylorBruh25
  • Love 3

Hiram's problem is that he always hires someone else to do his dirty work. Hiram put his wife and daughter in danger and now he has disowned Veronica. Hermione seemed to be making googly-eyes at Fred. I predict that Hermione, Fred, Alice Cooper, Ex-Mayor McCoy and Ex-Sheriff Keller will team-up as the good guys to fight Hiram's League of Evil. Hiram made Hermione the mayor and she has the power to remove his crooked Sheriff and block his development plans. Hiram just needs to give Hermione the right motivation by pissing her off one too many times.

• Love 2

Hiram's problem is that he always hires someone else to do his dirty work. Hiram put his wife and daughter in danger and now he has disowned Veronica. Hermione seemed to be making googly-eyes at Fred. I predict that Hermione, Fred, Alice Cooper, Ex-Mayor McCoy and Ex-Sheriff Keller will team-up as the good guys to fight Hiram's League of Evil. Hiram made Hermione the mayor and she has the power to remove his crooked Sheriff and block his development plans. Hiram just needs to give Hermione the right motivation by pissing her off one too many times.

But Hermione is FAR from innocent.  It wasn't until someone entered her home and tried to kill her, that she became less enthused.   Before that she planned to move forward with torpedoing the life of Fred.   She knew and was complicit in Hiram's prolonged manipulation of Archie.   She, unlike Veronica, never quailed about grinding the Southside Serpents into dust.   We saw her scheme to use Cheryl as a guided missile so that she could take out Sheriff Keller.  She didn't want to be seen playing dirty pool so she let Cheryl take the lead (and the fall in Kevin's eyes).  I think she's just like Hiram, only she's motivated by equal parts ambition and self-preservation.  If it's in service to her she'll work with good guys or bad guys.  Outside of Veronica's safety the well being of others doesn't seem to mean much.  I still remember Hiram and Hermione talking about Jughead and Hermione saying Jughead was a dog, and Veronica through him a bone to keep him busy (when Veronica was covering for Archie about telling Jughead that Hiram owned Pops).

Hiram is motivated by those things as well, but I'd also say there is a good amount of seething hate in his cocktail too. He can be more charming then the Blossom's but he holds grudges and seems to have held quite a few, going as far back as when he and Hermione went to school at Riverdale.  He loathes Alice Cooper, Mary, despises The Blossom's (though he'll scheme with them if he gets what he wants), Hates Fred Andrews and disregards the existence of FP and Sierra McCoy whenever possible.  

Veronica turned on him for these people/their kids and the price he made her pay for doing so, shows just how much his hatred has grown.  I expect things to get even uglier next season.  And I don't think Hiram plans on breaking up the core four, I could see him scheming to turn a good portion of the rest of the populace against them.

Time and tide will tell.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don’t think Bughead will be over soon. Their talk in the five seasons was adorable and sweet and good. I think this episode made it a point to show how much they care for each other.. I guess I could be wrong but I think the show and the powers that be in the show are quite invested in them.

I also think the episode made a point to prove that despite bettys so called darkness, isn’t like Hal’s and the child who may share his darkness is actually Polly. That creepy look on her face when she was telling Alice about her farm cult leader was scary. 

I’m also thinking the triangles are done.. at least for the high school years. This episode and last episode just kind of made me think that it wouldn’t be a great transition for any of the core four relationships to break up and start dating each other without imploding  and ruining the characters. 

Eta: I’m still sad we didn’t get a scene with the earrings or the scene with Alice and Betty in the cemetery. I remember Madachen saying that was one of her favorite scenes to shoot or something. Also sad that the tweets about Lili killing it in the finale weren’t hinting at Betty killing anyone.. like Penny. It looks like we’re stuck with Penny for another season. Yay. Said no one. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

It's hard to get too worried about Archie being arrested for murder.  Hiram has so many enemies in this small town and so many people know what he's up to, and his own wife and daughter will come gunning for him and have inside knowledge.  Fred will come after him.  Bughead will come after him.  Seriously, how can this guy survive another week in Riverdale without being lynched by a mob or arrested by the Feds?

Looking forward to the nutty "Alice joins a cult" plot next season.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Dobian said:

It's hard to get too worried about Archie being arrested for murder.  Hiram has so many enemies in this small town and so many people know what he's up to, and his own wife and daughter will come gunning for him and have inside knowledge.  Fred will come after him.  Bughead will come after him.  Seriously, how can this guy survive another week in Riverdale without being lynched by a mob or arrested by the Feds?

Looking forward to the nutty "Alice joins a cult" plot next season.

Yeah.. I don’t know what hiram is hoping for here. Or what we are supposed to be worried about here. What’s Hiram’s grand plan.

I’’m not excited about the cult story. Maybe because I find them so boring and tedious. Riverdale really isn’t picking great stories still. 

I don't know why Archie warned Hiram of his intentions. Even he must have some idea what kind of man Hiram is. Of course, Hiram had him arrested and embarrassed in front of the whole school before the ceremony to make him class president. 

I really don't understand how Veronica is able to conduct business, sign contracts and meet with a lawyer as she is still is a minor and Hiram is her legal guardian. Demanding the money from the trust that originally was blackmail money from another crime family? Wanting to open a speaker which will need a liquor license when she cannot legally drink?

Again she is a minor.

However I can't wait to see a suited up FP running the speakeasy. So much better that his uniform from the diner.

Loved Bughead and I know next season their mission will be to take down the Farm aka most obvious cult to suck in Polly and Alice.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I don't know why Archie warned Hiram of his intentions. Even he must have some idea what kind of man Hiram is. Of course, Hiram had him arrested and embarrassed in front of the whole school before the ceremony to make him class president. 

I really don't understand how Veronica is able to conduct business, sign contracts and meet with a lawyer as she is still is a minor and Hiram is her legal guardian. Demanding the money from the trust that originally was blackmail money from another crime family? Wanting to open a speaker which will need a liquor license when she cannot legally drink?

Again she is a minor.

However I can't wait to see a suited up FP running the speakeasy. So much better that his uniform from the diner.

Loved Bughead and I know next season their mission will be to take down the Farm aka most obvious cult to suck in Polly and Alice.

Well, I think Polly’s already sucked in.

As for Archie.. yeah.. I predicated he was going go and do something stupid. And he did. Walking up to Hiram and saying he intends to hurt him at some point? The hell was that? Like really? I know Archie’s dumb but that was real dumb. Also like I know Hiram is supposed to be all tough and knowing but.. really, having Archie get arrested in front of the school when really Hiram could have had Archie killed kind of shows me what I’ve long suspected all along, that hiram is apparently still a teenager who lives for the drama! 

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good episode. I quite like that we have the climax in the penultimate episode and then the aftermath in the next. It's quite rare.

Yeah, few shows do it these days. Refreshing if I say so myself. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I really am curious about what next seasons story is going to be. Clearing Archie’s name? I honestly don’t know if the show can sustain that as a long running season arc. It’s probably not going to hold up well if they try. And maybe I’m alone but I’m notlooking forward to a cult story.

Im really happy Bughead is in solid ground, last night was probably the happiest I’ve seen them as a couple in a long time. Or at least given screen time as them being happy and in love.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I really don't understand how Veronica is able to conduct business, sign contracts and meet with a lawyer as she is still is a minor and Hiram is her legal guardian

It really is getting ridiculous, and not just for Veronica. Here's a quote from over at AV Club:

“I’m supposed to be this great detective”

ACCORDING TO WHOM BETTY YOU ARE 15

GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK

Between these overachievers and Jughead's tireless multifaceted campaigns, plus Archie's decent into mob-up-edness, I don't know how any of them are going to graduate before they're thirty.

• Love 10
Just now, Snookums said:

It really is getting ridiculous, and not just for Veronica. Here's a quote from over at AV Club:

Between these overachievers and Jughead's tireless multifaceted campaigns, plus Archie's decent into mob-up-edness, I don't know how any of them are going to graduate before they're thirty.

Ha. I think next season we’re still going to be in their sophomore year of high school, so chances are they won’t ever graduate!

• Love 2

It's basically 90210 all over again, with Archie and Jughead starting to go bald when they hit senior year.  No small irony why Dylan was added to the cast, he was the premier aging teenager of his era.  But this show has no basis in reality whatsoever, Riverdale is just a bizarre alternate universe.  If you can accept that, then you can enjoy the rest.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Dobian said:

It's basically 90210 all over again, with Archie and Jughead starting to go bald when they hit senior year.  No small irony why Dylan was added to the cast, he was the premier aging teenager of his era.  But this show has no basis in reality whatsoever, Riverdale is just a bizarre alternate universe.  If you can accept that, then you can enjoy the rest.

Yeah I know. It does still make me a little sad though. The first season and such great potential and now it’s a complen  different reality. So I still feel sad about that.

• Love 1

When I saw that this ended on the cliffhanger it ended on, my main thought was, "Oh my god, does this mean that we're going to open on them STILL as high school sophomores?" They're really going to start hitting Pretty Little Liars level here, where junior and senior year somehow took 6 years to complete.

I'm guessing we're all just supposed to ignore that Cheryl said specifically in the pilot that she was a senior cheerleader, because I feel like she should have been

2 hours ago, Dobian said:

No small irony why Dylan was added to the cast, he was the premier aging teenager of his era

They really lucked out that KJ is only 20 and Cole has a babyface that should keep him looking young until he hits his 30's.  The only one that really, really doesn't look like a teenager is Moose.

Speaking of, I guess Kevin's getting his Love Simon ending after all. It only took murder to get there! No, seriously though, I did always like them and I'm glad it looks like they're going there.

So like, are the Serpents actually going to do like illegal gang activity like pimping as well as drug and weapon smuggling or are they just going to be a "good" gang like Jets in West Side Story? I just find the whole thing nauseating, although it does look like they dropped the incredible offensive Native American origin background for the Serpents, which I'm glad about.

I really want Polly's cult-leader to be Myko Olivier. Mainly because he looks pretty similar to KJ (if he had curly dark hair), and because his acting in the Menedez movie he did hit the right now of creepy and campy for me.

• Love 3

Yeah.. I always thought Cheryl was older than the others because Jason was her twin and Polly was older than Betty and I assumed Polly was the same age, now I’m just like whatever.. they are going to be stagnated in 10th grade forever anyway so it doesn’t matter how old Cheryl is.

• Love 2

I don't get why it was a better plan for Veronica to get Pop's than the Worm, unless it's a thing where it's "better" because now all the Whos down in Whoville can hold hands and sing on the North side and, in so doing, defeat Hiram's evil plan somehow. And yes, I was also quite taken aback when Betty said she was supposed to be a great detective. I mean, she was crying and her dad's in jail for murder, so that's not the right moment for Fred to tell her no one thought she was a great detective, but....

19 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

So Tall Boy was the fake black hood. Maybe because the actor didn't play the part because he was wearing a mask but I don't think that Archie could take a guy of that hight and size in a fight.

I don't understand how this case wasn't immediately solved when Archie realized the guy who attacked him was tall. I mean, that's how we closed the junkyard case. The guy who went there was tall, ergo, it was Tall Boy. Come on.

6 hours ago, nilyank said:

Yeah, all through that scene where Archie pulled a Ned Stark and told the villain how he planed to slowly expose his crimes in the future, I was like, "WTF are you doing?!" (although I appreciate that he said "make my bones" again). At first I wondered why Hiram didn't have him whacked, but then I remembered that that dumbass teenager was his only kapo, so there was nobody to do the whacking. And that the bed he's made for himself is one where he has to fall back to embarrassing a teen at a high school event. Badass mob boss. LOL.

For the business stuff -- to be completely real, there was a time when I lived with my parents as an adult and my insurance broker took for granted that it was okay to tell my mom the details of my policy. I feel like, even if it were all legal for Veronica to sign these contracts and own these businesses, the reality is that it wouldn't matter and most people would assume they were really dealing with Hiram.

• Love 5