Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

I believe there was a security issue with one or two of the girls so they changed as I remember Kelli’s recording of announcing the girls you could see her mouthing the last name or it appeared cut off.

And the ones who kept the last names were ones whose last names were announced in prior seasons.

• Love 2
On 3/17/2021 at 12:44 AM, fozzen said:

In the early seasons they did use their last names. Then I noticed there was a season where some still used their last names, while others used first and middle before everyone going to first and middle. 

It was in season 6 (2011) where they started using the rookies first and middle names.  Some of the returning TCCs ( Courtney Cook, Brittany Schramm) had their full name because of being already known from the previous season ( # 5) in TC. I don't know why rookie Alyssa Torres had her full name while the others were just had first & middle names only. Maybe because of her sister Ashton who was well known.

• Love 1

So did we finally figure out that Kelli’s weight formula is 5 pounds for every inch over 5 feet, minus 10? I’ve had the old seasons running on Pluto in the background and she seemed to speak more openly about her concept of weight vs. height.

• Love 2
(edited)

Base is 100?  So at 6’ (too tall to be a DCC unless it’s a year we’ve got Tess, VK and two TCC Lindsay to balance me at the 50,) I should be 100+ (5*12) - 10. Soooo 150 pounds. That’s not unreasonable as far as BMI goes (range is 140-175 I think,) but I haven’t seen that weight since elementary school 😂😂

Oh well, my kicks aren’t 50 yard line worthy anyway. Also I’m old. 

I really do think it’s more about how the gal looks in the uniform, and then they point back to the scale if there’s an issue. I can’t imagine if one of the curvier girls started hitting the gym and got ripped like Lauren, gaining five pounds of muscle in the process, it would be a big problem. Needs to be some allowances for hip and bustline growth for the ones that join as a teenager and stay until their 20’s, tho, if it’s not just milkshake and/or booze driven weight gain.  

Edited by kalibean
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I don't know, 150 seems super low for a 6 footer. I was being half serious / half facetious about Kelli's formula. Judging by the older episodes, e.g., season 6 and earlier, she seemed to have this concept in her head that uniform ready means all DCCs need to be ten pounds underweight by normal standards. It's about as genius as some of the other stuff she does that makes no sense 😄

• Love 6

8 hours ago, kalibean said:

Base is 100?  So at 6’ (too tall to be a DCC unless it’s a year we’ve got Tess, VK and two TCC Lindsay to balance me at the 50,) I should be 100+ (5*12) - 10. Soooo 150 pounds. That’s not unreasonable as far as BMI goes (range is 140-175 I think,) but I haven’t seen that weight since elementary school 😂😂

Oh well, my kicks aren’t 50 yard line worthy anyway. Also I’m old. 

I really do think it’s more about how the gal looks in the uniform, and then they point back to the scale if there’s an issue. I can’t imagine if one of the curvier girls started hitting the gym and got ripped like Lauren, gaining five pounds of muscle in the process, it would be a big problem. Needs to be some allowances for hip and bustline growth for the ones that join as a teenager and stay until their 20’s, tho, if it’s not just milkshake and/or booze driven weight gain.  

7 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I don't know, 150 seems super low for a 6 footer. I was being half serious / half facetious about Kelli's formula. Judging by the older episodes, e.g., season 6 and earlier, she seemed to have this concept in her head that uniform ready means all DCCs need to be ten pounds underweight by normal standards. It's about as genius as some of the other stuff she does that makes no sense 😄

A lot of the things I've seen regarding sports nutrition for athletes (yes, dancers can be considered athletes, no I'm not a nutritionist/dietician or any other related field) says that a good baseline states at 100 pounds for a 5' woman and give 5 pounds per inch and plus or minus a percentage for those with small-boned or large-boned frames (less for a small-boned person, more for a large-boned person; yes this is a thing).  Thus a 6' dancer could be about 155-160 depending on the calculations. 

However, there are some girls who are naturally smaller and thinner despite their heights and those are the ones that Kelli likes and will compare all other incoming girls that height to. This despite the fact that it can be nearly impossible for another girl to physically get down to that weight.

Heck, back in Season 1 or 2, Dinesha was JUST over 150 (something like 152 and change) at something like 6 foot or nearly so (I think I remember hearing that) yet they wanted her to lose a lot of weight.  Jay even said they'd never had a cheerleader that heavy, but she was a girl with a bit of a bigger frame to her (not overweight, just broader through the hips/waist/shoulders then usual).  I get the toning up and the like, but losing a lot of weight in a possibly unhealthy way?  I'd nope out of there too.  I wonder what weight they wanted her to get to.  Whatever it was, it was probably not appropriate for her height, build, or lifestyle.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Jay even said they'd never had a cheerleader that heavy

That was ridiculous. They probably never had someone weigh that much, probably because they never had anyone that tall. Jay calling her "heavy" really bugged me, she looked great.

• Love 11

Do they ever give girls 2nd leader as a 3rd year and then no GL or G2L in their 4th+ year? I read somewhere (maybe here maybe a fb) that the sole purpose of the 2nd leader is to get them ready for 1st leader. Would it make sense to then not give anyone above that 2nd leader even if they did it in the past so as to get people that may be with the team longer the experience to someday be a 1st leader? Or am I totally misunderstanding the whole process?

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Raffthelaugh said:

I read somewhere (maybe here maybe a fb) that the sole purpose of the 2nd leader is to get them ready for 1st leader.

I don't know - how many second leaders retire before becoming first?  This last season is the first season that I can remember where all seconds are coming back.

Plus, not every vet wants to be a group leader and not every vet is considered to be one

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

I don't know - how many second leaders retire before becoming first?  This last season is the first season that I can remember where all seconds are coming back.

Plus, not every vet wants to be a group leader and not every vet is considered to be one

Good point! I saw a poll about them adding 2 2nd leaders because they're all returning and only 2 open 1st leader spots and was wondering if there's any consideration given to who may retire after another season vs. who has a year or two left. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I don't know - how many second leaders retire before becoming first?

2 hours ago, Raffthelaugh said:

was wondering if there's any consideration given to who may retire after another season vs. who has a year or two left. 

I think it would be considered a pretty big snub to be demoted from a leadership position. Especially if K+J then picked someone with less tenure to replace the former GL or 2nd leader.

In recent seasons, I think this happened to Heather who was a 2nd leader her 2nd year, then demoted to regular DCC her 3rd year. (Then promoted to GL her 4th and final year). 

I think a leadership vacuum due to mass retirements is unlikely, in general, because new 2nd leaders are usually chosen from the 3rd year class. I think anyone with a leadership position is much more likely to stay for an additional year then a normal 3rd or 4th year. So, this ensures that there are always 4th and 5th year leaders and always 3rd and 4th year 2nd leaders to replace them. 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:13 PM, Pksbena1 said:

I just watched part of that 1979 DCC movie. It’s corny but interesting. They talked about finals (not sure if they mentioned semi finals). The squad was chosen at the end of finals but then (it seemed) training camp started and it was every night/7 days a week. They gave the rules about missing too. 

One of the returning vets liked a guy who was trying out for the DC. She told him they would be unable to date if he made the team and she stayed a DCC. Another girl trying out said she was hoping to become a movie star. That kept her from making the team. They felt she was using DCC’S as a stepping stone to her movie career it seems....

The movie is free to watch on Amazon. It’s fun to see what things have changed and what things haven’t! 

Also for free on Tubi. https://tubitv.com/movies/508828/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders?start=true

• Love 2
On 12/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, scorpio1031 said:

I wonder if Kelli remembered Natasha cause she allegedly didn't remember Madeline S's mom

I feel like I read this situation differently with Madeline S her first audition year. I didn't take it as a snub (faux or otherwise) or an indication that she didn't remember cheering with Madeline's mom. Madeline is not a spitting image of her mom, so I could see not immediately recognizing her as one of the legacies trying out. But, if it was some posed snub or mis-recognition, it seems pretty lame and pointless to me.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:32 PM, Balger said:

I remember one year, there were several TCC that dropped out early, and they brought back, I believe, two veterans that had been cut. Does anyone remember this or remember what season this was?

That was one of my first seasons watching the show! The Minchew pageant sisters dropped out of TC and they brought back Kami, who tried really hard but was too behind in the dances to catch up. She was pretty mad the next year when she didn't get an invitation to training camp, but her audition was rough and her kicks a mess, IIRC. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, M1977G said:

I feel like I read this situation differently with Madeline S her first audition year. I didn't take it as a snub (faux or otherwise) or an indication that she didn't remember cheering with Madeline's mom. Madeline is not a spitting image of her mom, so I could see not immediately recognizing her as one of the legacies trying out. But, if it was some posed snub or mis-recognition, it seems pretty lame and pointless to me.

This is what I also thought. 

Edited by Kamal
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, M1977G said:

That was one of my first seasons watching the show! The Minchew pageant sisters dropped out of TC and they brought back Kami, who tried really hard but was too behind in the dances to catch up. She was pretty mad the next year when she didn't get an invitation to training camp, but her audition was rough and her kicks a mess, IIRC. 

Season 4 (2009)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, M1977G said:

Rumor has it that, when Kaime was brought back, she thought she didn't have to work as hard to catch up and that she had a "guaranteed" spot on the team.  She didn't realize she was a ratings gimmick that season.  On top of that, at the next audition, she actually seemed to have REGRESSED from Training Camp (poor posture, horrible kicks, etc.) and seemed to think that she deserved a spot in Training Camp despite that.  

• Love 4
On 2/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, EricaShadows said:

Rumor has it that, when Kaime was brought back, she thought she didn't have to work as hard to catch up and that she had a "guaranteed" spot on the team. 

If that's true, she is a moron. She was a runner up. She didn't actually make training camp, she just got lucky when others had to drop out. The shame is, if she had actually put in the work and proved to them that they made a mistake in not picking her in the first place, it could have been a great storyline. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

If that's true, she is a moron. She was a runner up. She didn't actually make training camp, she just got lucky when others had to drop out. The shame is, if she had actually put in the work and proved to them that they made a mistake in not picking her in the first place, it could have been a great storyline. 

That was my thought as well.  If she had come in, worked her ass off and kicked butt, I think she could have made the squad.  She was already handicapped by coming in late and should have spent as much time and effort as possible to prove to them she deserved it. 

I almost believe the rumor given her attitude at auditions the next year.  If I'd been cut, I would had worked my tail off to prove to Kelli she made a mistake cutting me and come back stronger then ever.  Instead, Kaime came back WORSE.  She KNEW how to do the kick line, she was literally TRAINED in it the previous year.  Yet, she looked like she'd never done it before.  I wouldn't be surprised if she thought she just had to show up and she'd be brought back to Training Camp, no matter what she looked like at auditions.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I almost believe the rumor given her attitude at auditions the next year.

Yeah, there is no excuse for coming back weaker than you were the first try. I wasn't a fan of hers so I don't care if it didn't work out for her but it's like she didn't even want it. Maybe she was one of the ones who just wanted to be on tv because if I wanted to be a DCC and got cut but was determined to come back, I'd have taken every class I could and practiced that jump split every day until I had it perfect not just hoped that a year later I'd remember how. 

Most of the women there work their butts off learning the style, getting into the DCC shape and give it everything they have. It's disrespectful to them to think you can just show up and get on the team because....reasons. 

• Love 5
On 2/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, EricaShadows said:

Rumor has it that, when Kaime was brought back, she thought she didn't have to work as hard to catch up and that she had a "guaranteed" spot on the team.  She didn't realize she was a ratings gimmick that season.  On top of that, at the next audition, she actually seemed to have REGRESSED from Training Camp (poor posture, horrible kicks, etc.) and seemed to think that she deserved a spot in Training Camp despite that.  

Oh, wow! This was my second season watching the show and I was years away from discovering these forums (or whatever forum it was back in the day) to get this gossip. I am shocked and intrigued, and I agree that there is plausibility given her next audition and attitude when she didn't make it to training camp. She really did seem less technically prepared and flexible the second time around. At the time, I chalked it up to nerves getting the better of her, but maybe it was lack of preparation. She was one of few candidates I can remember who Kitty really loved who didn't (initially) make camp. 

On 10/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, Teriyaki Terror said:

Who'd want to stalk her? 

Who'd want to stalk you? Believe it or not anyone can be a victim of stalking - and end up dead. Stalkers are usually deranged. There's no reasoning behind why they choose certain victims. That's what makes them so scary. 

• Love 4
On 8/2/2016 at 12:26 PM, SopranoKris said:

Chin length bob: the only one I can think of is Megan Sharp?  She had a chin length bob, but I don't get the "party girl" vibe from her.

Tia Williams

On 2/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, cherryblossom said:

I think she felt like she was one of Kelli’s chosen ones but clearly didn’t get the memo that you can be chosen the first year but not the second.

Kelli expects the vets, rookies, and returning TCCs to get better to make it back. Most of the comeback girls (Brittany, Courtney, Brandi, Sunni, Joannah, Alex, etc.) did improve somewhere whether it was dance, looks, weight, or social media issues enough to make it back to TC. Kaime did not. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Survivor197 said:

Are the group leaders automatically the point of their group during sideline triangle formations? 

Don't they dance in two rows and the GL being in the middle?

Are they ever dancing as a triangle shape?

Just now, Kamal said:

Don't they dance in two rows and the GL being in the middle?

Are they ever dancing as a triangle shape?

They dance in the triangle shape when they go out for quarter change routines 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kamal said:

Wonder why the official DCC account doesn't post this (in English) on their Instagram page. Such a waste because this seems like great content.

S__3530886.jpg

They put up a diffrent shot of her on their ig page 

3 hours ago, Holly85 said:

They put up a diffrent shot of her on their ig page 

But without this caption.

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Anyone want to translate that for me?

"One of the biggest cultural differences I noticed between Mexico and the United States is the pace of life. In the U.S., people tend to always be in a hurry. In Mexico, I found that people enjoy the time they have, especially when spending time with family."

used deepL

This is pretty sweet.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kamal said:

"One of the biggest cultural differences I noticed between Mexico and the United States is the pace of life. In the U.S., people tend to always be in a hurry. In Mexico, I found that people enjoy the time they have, especially when spending time with family."

used deepL

Thank you!

One of the biggest DCC mysteries to me is who are Jessika’s connections ? She never was a standout , totally bombed her interview even when asked multiple questions none of which she could answer and had a horrible solo that same year (her 4th ) and yet still made the team. I just don’t get it ! I don’t even get how she was chosen to begin with 🤯 she has to have connections to the mob , her dad is friends with someone in the Cowboys organization , I just can’t figure it out lol 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 7/29/2022 at 7:08 AM, GenX88 said:

One of the biggest DCC mysteries to me is who are Jessika’s connections ? She never was a standout , totally bombed her interview even when asked multiple questions none of which she could answer and had a horrible solo that same year (her 4th ) and yet still made the team. I just don’t get it ! I don’t even get how she was chosen to begin with 🤯 she has to have connections to the mob , her dad is friends with someone in the Cowboys organization , I just can’t figure it out lol 

I'd just accept it and not try to understand it lol It's a typical Kelli thing. Jessika was not the first being chosen over others that seem more deserving/talented nor will she be the last. 

The same goes for girls being cut for whatever reason. Blonde Hannah was cut for her weight but Veronica got pass over pass despite continuous warnings over the same issue. Some decisions really seem to be random.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LilyD said:

I'd just accept it and not try to understand it lol It's a typical Kelli thing. Jessika was not the first being chosen over others that seem more deserving/talented nor will she be the last. 

I think Kelli really liked her. Jessika said in the Boots interview she didn't make it the 1st time she auditioned for the DCC. Kelli wrote her a letter asking her to try again. I vaguely recall her talking about that. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2022 at 1:08 AM, GenX88 said:

*whispers* I always thought Jessika was really gorgeous.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2022 at 8:12 AM, MrsEVH said:

I think Kelli really liked her. Jessika said in the Boots interview she didn't make it the 1st time she auditioned for the DCC. Kelli wrote her a letter asking her to try again. I vaguely recall her talking about that. 

Wrote her a letter? Wow I’m shocked Kelli would have to go that far to attract someone to the tryouts.  And wasn’t she living with Kyndall the year she made it and Kyndall didn’t (or am I thinking of someone else?)?  Ugh I hated that for Kyndall…. Or any girl really that is rooming with other candidates that make it when they themselves don’t (i.e. Brooke, Stephanie, Meagan💔).  

But mainly I’m talking specifically if they are really good and just barely miss the cut.    

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Rita J said:
On 8/24/2022 at 9:12 AM, MrsEVH said:

Wrote her a letter? Wow I’m shocked Kelli would have to go that far to attract someone to the tryouts.  And wasn’t she living with Kyndall the year she made it and Kyndall didn’t (or am I thinking of someone else?)?  Ugh I hated that for Kyndall

I also felt bad that Kyndall got cut on the last night 2 years in a row.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I also felt bad that Kyndall got cut on the last night 2 years in a row.

I suppose one side of that is TPTB really like them and they are trying to let them learn all they can before next season's tryouts, so they have an edge the following year.

But the other side is that is just cruel to keep their hopes up that long and let it drag out episode after episode for all to see. If someone is a struggle bus, just cut them and let them go take classes and practice with their friends on the side. It seems like all these cheerleaders know each other and are linked socially. How many vets do you think have taught potential TCCs some of their routines so they are more prepared for TC? I bet it happens.  The strugglers never improve that dramatically to suddenly make the team while in TC, and if they do, they end up getting cut anyway the following year like Ashley Pro., Morgan, Meredith.  It was uncomfortable to watch it drag out so long with Kyndall, Amy, Malena. My heart broke for them. I am more in favor of cut and get it over with.  

ill kill you ben stiller GIF

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 8/29/2022 at 7:59 PM, StellaCL said:

I suppose one side of that is TPTB really like them and they are trying to let them learn all they can before next season's tryouts, so they have an edge the following year.

But the other side is that is just cruel to keep their hopes up that long and let it drag out episode after episode for all to see. If someone is a struggle bus, just cut them and let them go take classes and practice with their friends on the side. It seems like all these cheerleaders know each other and are linked socially. How many vets do you think have taught potential TCCs some of their routines so they are more prepared for TC? I bet it happens.  The strugglers never improve that dramatically to suddenly make the team while in TC, and if they do, they end up getting cut anyway the following year like Ashley Pro., Morgan, Meredith.  It was uncomfortable to watch it drag out so long with Kyndall, Amy, Malena. My heart broke for them. I am more in favor of cut and get it over with.  

ill kill you ben stiller GIF

I remember Judy saying something to a newly-cut TCC: “Would you rather we cut you sooner instead of giving you time to make corrections?” And then she was dumbfounded that the TCC would’ve preferred an earlier cut. The closer you get to the team announcement, the higher your hopes get — and the further you fall. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

I remember Judy saying something to a newly-cut TCC: “Would you rather we cut you sooner instead of giving you time to make corrections?” And then she was dumbfounded that the TCC would’ve preferred an earlier cut. The closer you get to the team announcement, the higher your hopes get — and the further you fall. 

Wasn't that Elizabeth Reuter she said that to?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I always wondered what happened to Elizabeth Reuter.  She was everything they were looking for. her only issue being that she wasn't as toned/lean as they wanted her.  I think that, if she'd changed her diet a bit (depending on what she was originally eating), she would have lost the weight/toned up and made the squad.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I always wondered what happened to Elizabeth Reuter.  She was everything they were looking for. her only issue being that she wasn't as toned/lean as they wanted her.  I think that, if she'd changed her diet a bit (depending on what she was originally eating), she would have lost the weight/toned up and made the squad.

That season was just on. The way K & J spoke about her was disgusting. Rolls...chubby cheeks...geez, I thought her cameo looked great. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1