Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
bigskygirl

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

Recommended Posts

@ShellyB Why don't we see full dances or more than split second shots spliced together on the show? Is this a CMT style choice, or is there truth that if so many seconds of straight shot makes them considered as dancers instead of reality contestants, and messes with paid SAGUnion rates, etc. 

Because we'd LOVE to see dances straight through without those crazy cuts where you can't see talent or choreography. 

Also - one of the most intersting seasons was when a few episodes were after the final team was announced - choreographing the BCA field work, showing the girls at their jobs, etc. Please pass on that more of that would be great for upcoming seasons. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On August 19, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Spooky said:

Does anyone know what groups are where during the game; I know they move around a lot; but any tips on where Group 2 would be (#GirlCrushOnHollyP)? Thank you!

They rotate corners... They have "quarter changes"  so if you are sitting close to a corner facing the sidelines , you should be able to see your #girlcrush at least one whole quarter ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

@ShellyB Why don't we see full dances or more than split second shots spliced together on the show? Is this a CMT style choice, or is there truth that if so many seconds of straight shot makes them considered as dancers instead of reality contestants, and messes with paid SAGUnion rates, etc. 

Because we'd LOVE to see dances straight through without those crazy cuts where you can't see talent or choreography. 

Also - one of the most intersting seasons was when a few episodes were after the final team was announced - choreographing the BCA field work, showing the girls at their jobs, etc. Please pass on that more of that would be great for upcoming seasons. 

Yes, I love MTT7 because it had extra episodes!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pink317 said:

I leave for a few and Shelly B. is posting now?!  This board has gone haywire lol. I have a few random but genuine questions:

What did you believe would be accomplished from your original post? What (who) turned you on to this board and why? Are the other staffers as upset as you are (were)?  Is it true that Judy is having a hard time blocking the triangle with 37? Also, is it true that Jenna and Jenn K will be switching off as the point of the triangle during Thunder all season? Lastly, is Dayton (or Sam or Victoria) going to go for DCC?

 

EDIT: Spelling

1) Only wanted to give the opportunity to get answers from the source,not a screen name. 

2) Alumni. I think I've always been aware, just never looked. It was a recent post that was very deflamatory. A majority of the posts are pleasant, some even made me giggle, as l thought from their point of view. 

3) I wouldn't say that any of us are upset. Just curious as to why some of the posts towards some of the DCC  are derogatory and in the same breath there are complaints that K & J mean to the girls. You have to remember that to be in training camp is time consuming, raw & emotional but the reward of making it is fantastic. It's not like any of them were plucked from obscurity. They signed up & exposed themselves. It's part of the territory. We can all handle constructive criticism, it's just there are some unecessarily mean comments.

4) Judy doesn't struggle with formations. We've had odd numbers some years and even numbers on others. There will always be a point. The adjustments are made in the wider lines.

5) Not sure where the talk of Jenna and Jennifer will be switching point positions started. I suppose it's a possibility. We used to switch formations every game. Now, I think it's a great "ta-daa" moment to see who's at the point. 

6) There's no telling. Right now Dayton and Samantha are focused on their first year of college, while Victoria still has a couple more years of high school. Would it be nice to have Dayton follow in my footsteps? Yes! She's a very talented dancer and has studied all of her life. But she has other dreams regarding dance, so in the meantime I'll just be her biggest fan. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, pink317 said:

Yes, I love MTT7 because it had extra episodes!

@RazzleberryPie Edits are made for many reasons, what topics need to be covered, how much of each topic in each episode, music rights and more. The girls are not reality contestants. The producers of the show have no say in who makes the team. Do we get background stories from each applicant as they register to audition? Yes...some stories are more involved than others. I would think on any other reality show, contestants are contracted through the production company. Once training camp is chosen, the girls sign paperwork from DCFC, including contracts & W-2s. The only thing they sign from production is a waiver to show their images on tv. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Did Vivian really come up with tin-man on her own?!?! That has to have been a setup lol

I also want to know if Kitty told Auto Amy to take her gold bra off for her audition... hence the wardrobe malfunction! 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Thanks. So the quick cuts are just CMTs style? We'd love to see longer pieces of dances.

 

4 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Thanks. So the quick cuts are just CMTs style? We'd love to see longer pieces of dances.

Yes.....the entire season is drawn out on a "story board" per se. With definite actions to be taken on certain days. Basically a production itinerary for the summer. But this is all agreed upon before our auditions start. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, RhiRhi said:

Did Vivian really come up with tin-man on her own?!?! That has to have been a setup lol

I also want to know if Kitty told Auto Amy to take her gold bra off for her audition... hence the wardrobe malfunction! 

As far as I know, she came up with it on her own. Many girls have finals routines planned out before they even know if they make it that far. 

Kitty would not tell someone to "not" wear a bra. Amy was very flustered when she came off the floor. It was a complete accident. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for being able to answer some questions!   Each year we hear training camp candidates say how hard they have worked and how much they want to be on the team, and how much harder it really is than it looks, and then some of them decide not to go through the audition process the next year.   After all that hard work, they just let it go!  Do these ladies ever share their struggles with K & J and get advice?  For some reason I think of Kelli as sort of a mother hen type.  To me it seems that she is very nurturing with firm guidance.  Her emotions at cut night seem very genuine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

 

Yes.....the entire season is drawn out on a "story board" per se. With definite actions to be taken on certain days. Basically a production itinerary for the summer. But this is all agreed upon before our auditions start. 

I don't mean when girls are cut from the team, I mean when we see a dance and instead of seeing it from start to finish from one camera angle, we see a bunch of split second shots spliced together, and you really can't see choreography or technique. Why doesn't CMT show a whole dance or even a count from one camera angle. These girls are way too good to make it look like they're splicing footage rogue mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you so much Shelly! 

Can I ask these two questions?

1. If a DCC needs surgery, and they see the team doctor, does the organization cover the medical expenses? Or is it the DCC's responsibility to follow their own health insurance plan's deductible? I always wondered this as I'm sure the girls aren't offered health insurance through the organization as they aren't FT. 

2. How many TC outfits were there this year? Do the girls get to keep them or are they returned?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't mean when girls are cut from the team, I mean when we see a dance and instead of seeing it from start to finish from one camera angle, we see a bunch of split second shots spliced together, and you really can't see choreography or technique. Why doesn't CMT show a whole dance or even a count from one camera angle. These girls are way too good to make it look like they're splicing footage rogue mistakes. 

I mentioned the edits in an earlier post....many factors going into how an episode is spliced together. They often learn two or three dances a night, taking about an hour per routine, answering questions, performing in small groups, getting critiques & filming it on their personal cameras for their own reviewing. Then add in the extra time if it is a "cut" night. Again, hours of footage to be condensed. There's just not enough time to show routines in their entirety and cover the other elements from the story boards. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Thank you for being able to answer some questions!   Each year we hear training camp candidates say how hard they have worked and how much they want to be on the team, and how much harder it really is than it looks, and then some of them decide not to go through the audition process the next year.   After all that hard work, they just let it go!  Do these ladies ever share their struggles with K & J and get advice?  For some reason I think of Kelli as sort of a mother hen type.  To me it seems that she is very nurturing with firm guidance.  Her emotions at cut night seem very genuine.

Kelli & Judy are both very nurturing, just in different ways. The girls will often share what's going on in their worlds. 

 

The audition process can be intimidating. So many beautiful, talented girls vying for a few spots. I often wonder why people don't return. Maybe they've completely moved on...could be where they are in their education, employment, I really can't answer.  When and if I see any of them, I usually will ask if they think about trying again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Oklahomama said:

Thank you so much Shelly! 

Can I ask these two questions?

1. If a DCC needs surgery, and they see the team doctor, does the organization cover the medical expenses? Or is it the DCC's responsibility to follow their own health insurance plan's deductible? I always wondered this as I'm sure the girls aren't offered health insurance through the organization as they aren't FT. 

2. How many TC outfits were there this year? Do the girls get to keep them or are they returned?

If their injuries occurred during DCC rehearsals or events, our team doctors are available for their treatment. 

During training camp, everyone is issued Mon- Fri attire, in two color versions. Veterans wear navy & TCCs wear pink. Once the team is announced, the squad will wear the same colors. All rehearsal attire, uniform, boots, poms and warmups are returned prior to auditions for the next season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Eurgh I usually have so many questions and now that I have someone to ask, I've gone blank. 

The switching points convo started after Judy posted this:

And in her comments said this 'but we may switch it up some this year!!!'

Share this post


Link to post

@ShellyB, can you tell me how we would know at which games the DCC do a major halftime show?  BCA, Halloween, Christmas?  I've tweeted Judy and several of the girls but was unable to get a reply.  I'm from Indiana and trying very hard to go to a game this year (and if not, then next!) and want to go to one of the halftime show games.  Of course I would love to see the Boys play (and win!), but let's be honest, I want to see the DCC :)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JessB said:

@ShellyB, can you tell me how we would know at which games the DCC do a major halftime show?  BCA, Halloween, Christmas?  I've tweeted Judy and several of the girls but was unable to get a reply.  I'm from Indiana and trying very hard to go to a game this year (and if not, then next!) and want to go to one of the halftime show games.  Of course I would love to see the Boys play (and win!), but let's be honest, I want to see the DCC :)

Major halftime are aligned with respective game dates. This season we will have halftime a on Oct. 9 & 30, Nov. 24 and Dec. 18

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Major halftime are aligned with respective game dates. This season we will have halftime a on Oct. 9 & 30, Nov. 24 and Dec. 18

btw we lovegetting info straight from the source. This way we know it isn't ugly rumor tat becomes the gospel. Thank you. 

Are the halftime routines the same as last year? I actually enjoy seeing how they fit new girls into traditional routines and they always seem to be changed up a little. The new Neecie Noodle hip hop routine is sooooo much fresher than the older Drumline routine. (That one had a lot of intricacy that looked better on stage than on a field to me). 

also - can does the organization still scout and give 'golden ticket' passes to finals or semi finals? Who are some of the girls who have earned these - we know Sidney, Kelsey Reich. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for answering our questions, Shelly! Much appreciated. Dayton is so beautiful, she would make a great cheerleader in the future!

Does Kelli get raw footage/dailies during the filming of MTT? On a more traditional reality show, on air talent would not, but I MTT think is different.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, pink317 said:

Thank you for answering our questions, Shelly! Much appreciated. Dayton is so beautiful, she would make a great cheerleader in the future!

Does Kelli get raw footage/dailies during the filming of MTT? On a more traditional reality show, on air talent would not, but I MTT think is different.

Kelli is also an executive producer so that gives her more leeway in editing, etc. Not total control and I doubt she's sitting at a computer packaging footage, though.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

btw we lovegetting info straight from the source. This way we know it isn't ugly rumor tat becomes the gospel. Thank you. 

Are the halftime routines the same as last year? I actually enjoy seeing how they fit new girls into traditional routines and they always seem to be changed up a little. The new Neecie Noodle hip hop routine is sooooo much fresher than the older Drumline routine. (That one had a lot of intricacy that looked better on stage than on a field to me). 

also - can does the organization still scout and give 'golden ticket' passes to finals or semi finals? Who are some of the girls who have earned these - we know Sidney, Kelsey Reich. 

Halftime routines will remain mostly the same. Sometimes we add new music edits & choreo. Denise is a very talented choreographer. She used part of our original edit and then pieces she liked. Drumline is about 12-13 years old. Although we added new music elements and switched up choreo, it was time for  fresh perspective, along with a few new costume designs. 

We don't really give byes anymore. Those came from scouting at competitions or given to members of some local college dance teams. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Kelli is also an executive producer so that gives her more leeway in editing, etc. Not total control and I doubt she's sitting at a computer packaging footage, though.

I know she is an EP but sometimes the moniker is just a vanity title and said person is not involved. However, if the  answer is 'yes' about the dailies, then that answers the lingering question I had about Chelsea's cut. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hope you can answer my questions:

 

1.  Compensation.  Practice, game day and CMT show for the girls.  What is it?

2.  Why did DCC stop performing shows  on USO tours and now just do clinics and meet and greets?

3.  What is In the thick notebook give first day of TC

4.  When will we the new DCC facility at the Star.  Can you describe the biggest improvements from VR?

thank you for your time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Shelly, sometimes you'll hear Kelli say something like "the girls know this is a cut night" -- how do they know that?  Is it announced ahead of time on the schedule?

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Harrythecat said:

Hope you can answer my questions:

 

1.  Compensation.  Practice, game day and CMT show for the girls.  What is it?

2.  Why did DCC stop performing shows  on USO tours and now just do clinics and meet and greets?

3.  What is In the thick notebook give first day of TC

4.  When will we the new DCC facility at the Star.  Can you describe the biggest improvements from VR?

thank you for your time.

1) Compensation...they get an hourly rate for rehearsals, flat rate of $150 per game and CMT pay, which I believe they turn their hours in now...it's changed over the years. There are also other opportunities with paid appearances. Those are paid by the amount of years on the team...1 yr=$100, 2yrs=$200, etc. Show Group gets a flat show rate of $250.

2) USO made that call, but we are working on bringing that format back to the tours.

3) First Meeting Notebook...basically DCC bible. Everything one needs to know about DCC...rehearsals, appearances, media and other info. 

4) Our offices are there now, studio will be finished in the Fall. It's State of the art in design and technology....stunning! 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

This is great background. Thank you.  Got some more....again I have been a fan since the 2 hour special....why can't we see it on CMT?  Differnent production company or can't get releases?

1.  What are rules for the game day gifts for each group?  What was your favorite and do you still have it?  What about the Xmas tree...do each DCC create an ornament?

2.  Who was the original choregraher for Loud and Thunderstuck....2 of my fav. Routines

3.  Do all the NFL cheerleader directors still meet and if so, what do they meet about?

4.  Who are big DCC sponsors this year?

5.  Are jump splits as painful as they look when they do they on other surfaces besides the field....

Edited by Harrythecat

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for coming onto the board ShellyB.  The forums have changed a bit since the beginning, if you get what I am saying, so thank you for coming here and posting from a place of happy and positive.  :0] 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

1) Compensation...they get an hourly rate for rehearsals, flat rate of $150 per game and CMT pay, which I believe they turn their hours in now...it's changed over the years. There are also other opportunities with paid appearances. Those are paid by the amount of years on the team...1 yr=$100, 2yrs=$200, etc. Show Group gets a flat show rate of $250.

2) USO made that call, but we are working on bringing that format back to the tours.

3) First Meeting Notebook...basically DCC bible. Everything one needs to know about DCC...rehearsals, appearances, media and other info. 

4) Our offices are there now, studio will be finished in the Fall. It's State of the art in design and technology....stunning! 

Thank you so much for answering the USO question. I loved seeing clips of those performances, and it seemed like the cheerleaders really loved that part of the job. 

@ShellyB What has changed the most since you were a DCC? Obviously they've upgraded the calendar shoot and the stadium is new, although I think Texas Stadium was a better environment for cheering and the fans! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Shelly, regarding the new dance studio?  Has a camera been included in the design that will video the practices? I imagine that it would be helpful when learning choreo much the same way the players look at game film. Suspend a cam a foot or two from the ceiling and do playbacks when giving corrections. It could bring clarity to the ladies a bit faster, especially if they could review video before/after nightly practices. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Thank you so much for answering the USO question. I loved seeing clips of those performances, and it seemed like the cheerleaders really loved that part of the job. 

@ShellyB What has changed the most since you were a DCC? Obviously they've upgraded the calendar shoot and the stadium is new, although I think Texas Stadium was a better environment for cheering and the fans! 

Not a whole lot. Tradition runs deep. Calendar shoot hasn't really changed, only the time of year & technology in how it's shot and produced. 

We were closer to the fans at Texas Stadium and had different gameday interaction than they do now. Although it's awesome to have climate controlled, 72 degrees all season long, I don't think the Texas Stadium Ladies would change cheering in all of the elements for anything. Some of our favorite memories! 

1 hour ago, Java said:

Shelly, regarding the new dance studio?  Has a camera been included in the design that will video the practices? I imagine that it would be helpful when learning choreo much the same way the players look at game film. Suspend a cam a foot or two from the ceiling and do playbacks when giving corrections. It could bring clarity to the ladies a bit faster, especially if they could review video before/after nightly practices. 

I haven't seen the approved list of technology for our new space, but I know that cameras, screens for playback, headset microphones & stage lighting were on our wish list. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

Not a whole lot. Tradition runs deep. Calendar shoot hasn't really changed, only the time of year & technology in how it's shot and produced. 

We were closer to the fans at Texas Stadium and had different gameday interaction than they do now. Although it's awesome to have climate controlled, 72 degrees all season long, I don't think the Texas Stadium Ladies would change cheering in all of the elements for anything. Some of our favorite memories! 

We were at a Thanksgiving Day game around 07. It was freezing, and we actually saw snow flurries. The poor DCC only had those satin jackets to wear over their uniforms. They must have been freezing. Why didn't they have a cold weather uniform like other teams have back in the days of Texas Stadium?

 

thanks for answering!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

We were at a Thanksgiving Day game around 07. It was freezing, and we actually saw snow flurries. The poor DCC only had those satin jackets to wear over their uniforms. They must have been freezing. Why didn't they have a cold weather uniform like other teams have back in the days of Texas Stadium?

 

thanks for answering!

The fans don't like uniform changes. We tried it in 1990. They want tradition. The white satin jackets were actually warm. Plus, you stay warm the more you move around...that and adrenaline. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

ShellyB, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. It is vary generous of you and it is a relief to have a reliable source. It has been interesting to see what's been going on with the "insiders" this season, and how everything they post is taken as fact, even when stated that it is opinion and/or observation. It is unnerving how quickly rumor and opinion are accepted and repeated as fact and become the basis for strong feelings and opinions. Finally - information from the source! :-)

As with others, I have a few questions too. More than you probably have time for, but I will ask them anyway!

1. One of the insiders this year stated that the the squad was budgeted at 36 this year. Many posters took that as a hard cap, and have gone on to express that it was 37 because Yuko was some sort of extra special (unfair) exception. From what I have observed, the plan is 36 every year, since that's DCC tradition. If the talent isn't there, it's less than 36. If there is more talent, and things can be moved around in the budget, they can make the squad a bit larger. In other words, the max size of the team is determined near the end of training camp, based on the pool of talent. Others here have speculated that the budget is set before auditions, at 36 or 38 or whatever number, and that's how many they take that year. They can always take fewer but not more. Can you shed any light on when and how the size of team is decided?

2. Those shorts! Some have observed this season that it looks as if the shorts are shorter and a bit more "cheeky" than last year. Can you confirm? And do you know if any thought has gone into modifying the shorts? I will admit I am a bit more conservative, and would like to see the waistband come up a couple of inches, especially since the fashion for ultra-low rise waistlines is finally (and thankfully) behind us.

3. The last person we saw sing for her finals solo was Jordan Daigle several years ago. Does anyone sing anymore at finals anymore? And if not, is that because finalists are encouraged to stick with dance and avoid other types of talent presentations?

4. The calendar shoot used to be before auditions, and auditions used to be in April. Why the change to make the auditions a month later? And why shoot the calendar before auditions, knowing that some of the veterans could be cut? It seems like wasted money and effort.

5. Does the organization do exit interviews with each veteran at the end of the season, at least for those who intend to audition again? We've seen some veterans get cut for weight, and other issues, and I have wondered if Kelli spoke to them before auditions to clue them in on any issues they need to fix if they want to stay on the team.

6. Can the training camp candidates ever go casual on rehearsal days? (Their choice of attire, hair up, no makeup, etc.)

7. How are group leaders chosen? Are the veterans asked to indicate whether they have an interest and then K&J choose from that group? Or are all veterans up for selection? I don't know if you'll really feel comfortable answering this, but would it be considered a bad thing if a veteran didn't want to be a group leader or in show group, due to the time commitment or job conflicts?

8. How are the groups themselves chosen? It is clear that there is an effort to have a mixture of different looks in each group, but are there any other factors, such as height? (All the tall girls in one group, all the petite girls in another, etc.)

9. What happened to all the blondes? Lately it seems like fewer and fewer blondes every year. Not that the dancers should be chosen by hair color, but I surprised that so many blondes were cut from training camp, given how few blonde veterans there are. I am also surprised about the new trend to transform dancers into redheads rather than blondes, since they all seem to struggle with maintaining consistent color. Was Milan changed back to a blonde once they realized how few blondes would make the roster this year?

10. Has there been any conversation about posting some parts of the audition process on the cowboys site? I understand the reluctance to stream it live because that would steal the CMT show's thunder. But after the audition episodes air, it would be great to see some videos on the cowboys site. Everyone wants to see the solos. I'd really like to see the dancers do the combination and the kickline, to see how they measure up against one another. Any chance of that ever happening?

11. When the DCC site was moved under the Cowboys site, it lost a lot of the fun features fans really enjoyed. No Q&A, no blogs, no old team photos, a lot of what made the girls interesting as individuals. Are there any plans to build out the DCC pages into more like what they used to be? It sure would be nice if each DCC had a gallery, or at least a few photos from the photoshoot beyond just the one official cameo each year.

12. And finally, was there an official gag order on social media this year? There was a lot less posting during training camp. Is that because the candidates were specifically forbidden this year? Or are they finally starting to take the social media advice to heart on their own, and keeping their business to themselves? ;-)
 

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

ShellyB, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. It is vary generous of you and it is a relief to have a reliable source. It has been interesting to see what's been going on with the "insiders" this season, and how everything they post is taken as fact, even when stated that it is opinion and/or observation. It is unnerving how quickly rumor and opinion are accepted and repeated as fact and become the basis for strong feelings and opinions. Finally - information from the source! :-)

As with others, I have a few questions too. More than you probably have time for, but I will ask them anyway!

1. One of the insiders this year stated that the the squad was budgeted at 36 this year. Many posters took that as a hard cap, and have gone on to express that it was 37 because Yuko was some sort of extra special (unfair) exception. From what I have observed, the plan is 36 every year, since that's DCC tradition. If the talent isn't there, it's less than 36. If there is more talent, and things can be moved around in the budget, they can make the squad a bit larger. In other words, the max size of the team is determined near the end of training camp, based on the pool of talent. Others here have speculated that the budget is set before auditions, at 36 or 38 or whatever number, and that's how many they take that year. They can always take fewer but not more. Can you shed any light on when and how the size of team is decided?

2. Those shorts! Some have observed this season that it looks as if the shorts are shorter and a bit more "cheeky" than last year. Can you confirm? And do you know if any thought has gone into modifying the shorts? I will admit I am a bit more conservative, and would like to see the waistband come up a couple of inches, especially since the fashion for ultra-low rise waistlines is finally (and thankfully) behind us.

3. The last person we saw sing for her finals solo was Jordan Daigle several years ago. Does anyone sing anymore at finals anymore? And if not, is that because finalists are encouraged to stick with dance and avoid other types of talent presentations?

4. The calendar shoot used to be before auditions, and auditions used to be in April. Why the change to make the auditions a month later? And why shoot the calendar before auditions, knowing that some of the veterans could be cut? It seems like wasted money and effort.

5. Does the organization do exit interviews with each veteran at the end of the season, at least for those who intend to audition again? We've seen some veterans get cut for weight, and other issues, and I have wondered if Kelli spoke to them before auditions to clue them in on any issues they need to fix if they want to stay on the team.

6. Can the training camp candidates ever go casual on rehearsal days? (Their choice of attire, hair up, no makeup, etc.)

7. How are group leaders chosen? Are the veterans asked to indicate whether they have an interest and then K&J choose from that group? Or are all veterans up for selection? I don't know if you'll really feel comfortable answering this, but would it be considered a bad thing if a veteran didn't want to be a group leader or in show group, due to the time commitment or job conflicts?

8. How are the groups themselves chosen? It is clear that there is an effort to have a mixture of different looks in each group, but are there any other factors, such as height? (All the tall girls in one group, all the petite girls in another, etc.)

9. What happened to all the blondes? Lately it seems like fewer and fewer blondes every year. Not that the dancers should be chosen by hair color, but I surprised that so many blondes were cut from training camp, given how few blonde veterans there are. I am also surprised about the new trend to transform dancers into redheads rather than blondes, since they all seem to struggle with maintaining consistent color. Was Milan changed back to a blonde once they realized how few blondes would make the roster this year?

10. Has there been any conversation about posting some parts of the audition process on the cowboys site? I understand the reluctance to stream it live because that would steal the CMT show's thunder. But after the audition episodes air, it would be great to see some videos on the cowboys site. Everyone wants to see the solos. I'd really like to see the dancers do the combination and the kickline, to see how they measure up against one another. Any chance of that ever happening?

11. When the DCC site was moved under the Cowboys site, it lost a lot of the fun features fans really enjoyed. No Q&A, no blogs, no old team photos, a lot of what made the girls interesting as individuals. Are there any plans to build out the DCC pages into more like what they used to be? It sure would be nice if each DCC had a gallery, or at least a few photos from the photoshoot beyond just the one official cameo each year.

12. And finally, was there an official gag order on social media this year? There was a lot less posting during training camp. Is that because the candidates were specifically forbidden this year? Or are they finally starting to take the social media advice to heart on their own, and keeping their business to themselves? ;-)
 

WOW! ? I'll try to answer each of these briefly

1) There's no budget. The magic number 36 is a tradition. Actually, up until 1992, 36 were on the team only 32 performed at games. There were alway 4 alternates in the locker room. In '93 there were 40 on the team. 32 comfortably fit on the sidelines in Texas Stadium. But as performance areas shifted, that opened up room for more DCC on the field. Since '94, the entire team has performed barring no injuries. 

2) The shorts haven't changed in the last several seasons. They have modified over the years...The original belted shorts were higher on the hips, the dip shorts were lower in the front & shorter in the hem and back to the belted shorts, 2000s version, reflects the low rise in jeans today. 

3) We have singers every year, they probably end up on the cutting floor.

4) Originally, the calendar shoot took place after auditions in early June and some rookies went. Over time, the decision was made to keep calendar as a veteran perk. The shift in timing came with coordinating with our shoot sponsors. This also lead to only taking those that would be reaudition, since we like for the calendar to consist of as many current members in each calendar year. Auditions changed from April to May to help girls graduating from high school or college, most exams are over by the time we have our finals. 

5) Kelli & Judy conduct exit interviews for each DCC. Any questions, concerns or issues are discussed privately.

6) There are times when they have "casual" attire...I've attached pics from of a few weeks ago when I told them to let loose for one night during rookie week.

7) Group Leaders are ultimately chosen by Kelli & Judy. There is a section on 1st and 2nd leader selections on the veteran finals questionnaire.

8) Groups are chosen by height, hair color, dance style/technique so that all four groups are balanced. 

9) Not sure where all the blondes are, but #yaybrunettes! They aren't cut because of hair color, strictly how they adapt to our style. 

10) Not sure if CMT has ever considered a "Solo" episode. That's a great idea for an extra special of webisode! 

11) We are constantly tweaking our technology. Some features may return in the future, now that we've moved to the Star.

12) No gag order, but just to be mindful of their posting. They should be launching the Rookies Twitter handles soon! 

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ShellyB
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Good questions @sleepyjean  

Is the cheerleaders budget set by the revenue the girls bring in aka swimsuit calendar and other calendar sales, appearances, performances etc. etc.? Where do the uniforms, boots, practice outfits go after a girl is cut or retire from the team? Was Chelsea cut from the team because she was gaining weight, bad attitude, and partying on the weekends in Season 8, and was Danielle called back into the office the same night Chelsea was asked to speak to Kelli and Judy because of her reaction to bring called into the office the first time?

Share this post


Link to post

@ShellyB thank you so much for answering all of our questions! Of course I can't think of any at the moment, but other posters have been asking great ones!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Good questions @sleepyjean  

Is the cheerleaders budget set by the revenue the girls bring in aka swimsuit calendar and other calendar sales, appearances, performances etc. etc.? Where do the uniforms, boots, practice outfits go after a girl is cut or retire from the team? Was Chelsea cut from the team because she was gaining weight, bad attitude, and partying on the weekends in Season 8, and was Danielle called back into the office the same night Chelsea was asked to speak to Kelli and Judy because of her reaction to bring called into the office the first time?

We have quarterly budget goals set by DCFC. Our revenue is brought in from appearances, shows, camps & merchandise. 

New uniforms are only issued to Rookies. Show groups members may occasionally have a second pair of shorts, but only one pair is their original pair. We take the previous year's boots and reissue for training camp the following season. New boots are issued to the entire squad each year, 1 pair for games and 1 for appearances. Same goes for poms.

I think it's pretty clear why Chelsea was released ?....wasn't that on the episode? I think Danielle was asked if she had an issue with being called in?? It was all on the same night. Honestly, I watch each episode when it airs and hardly look back, even though my dvr has been recording the marathons! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have Season 6 to Season 10 on I-tunes, but I swear I see something new every time I re-watch the episodes. It is hard keeping up with who and who did not make the team and who tried out. Once again thank you for answering our questions. I hope you will be with us on here when the new season episodes are aired. @ShellyB

Share this post


Link to post

Just curious.  How do you watch it on iTunes? A computer or ipod?   I thought that was for downloading music. Forgive me but  I'm old school and never downloaded music (wouldn't know how to if my life depended on it).

Share this post


Link to post

I have I-Tunes for my computer, and my husband uses I-Tunes for his ipad and ipod. I like being able to watch the show on my computer, but I do miss seeing the show on cable. I-Tune is also great for watching movies also.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Just curious.  How do you watch it on iTunes? A computer or ipod?   I thought that was for downloading music. Forgive me but  I'm old school and never downloaded music (wouldn't know how to if my life depended on it).

You can use a computer, tablet or smartphone to watch iTunes movies/tv shows/videos.

Share this post


Link to post

Question for ShellyB: 

Why are certain TCCs cuts not shown? There was a blond TCC named Rebecca Lynn in season 6 who just disappeared.  We never knew what happened if she was cut  or did she leave on her own?

Edited by MrsEVH

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

Shelly, sometimes you'll hear Kelli say something like "the girls know this is a cut night" -- how do they know that?  Is it announced ahead of time on the schedule?

Not sure why my question wasn't answered -- reposting just in case you missed it.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for your generosity in answering so many questions @ShellyB. It's so interesting! And fun to see that the organisation is reaching out to some of its most passionate fans here. Please pass on our appreciation to your other team members - you mentioned earlier that your presence here was a 'considered' group response to this forum ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

Not sure why my question wasn't answered -- reposting just in case you missed it.

She answered this question already..... Asked by someone else. I believe the response was they get a filming schedule at the start of training camp and the nights they make cuts are pre decided. Something along those lines. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Pinknblue said:

Thanks for your generosity in answering so many questions @ShellyB. It's so interesting! And fun to see that the organisation is reaching out to some of its most passionate fans here. Please pass on our appreciation to your other team members - you mentioned earlier that your presence here was a 'considered' group response to this forum ?

So much this.... @ShellyB it is really meaningful to hear more about the DCC and the whole process that goes into creating the team.  It is fascinating and I always look so much forward to cheering for the girls every year.  Very excited that you're on the boards!!  I had a few questions I was wondering about:

1)  Do you have any Kitty Carter stories you can share?  She is and has always been one of my favorite parts of the show - as tough and aggressive as she is as a teacher I always felt like you could see how much she cares about the girls she's teaching and I really love that.

2)  Can you share any stories about girls (whether they made the team or not) that you have especially loved working with or who caught your attention particularly early in the auditions?  

3)  Is there anything you can share or stories you have about something really interesting or nice about Kelli and Judy that we wouldn't get to see on the show?

Thank you so much for taking part here, it means a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2016 at 8:32 PM, ShellyB said:

Yes....the AS's for 2016 are Emma, Katy, Ashley, Rachel & Kinzie

What about Holly A? Was she not asked to be an AS?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×