Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

They must let the hems/seams out of uniforms that were only worn for one or two seasons so they can reuse them. It would be such a waste otherwise! I always enjoy the uniform fitting episode ?I got an award in high school for most outstanding in home economics. I can do very nice mending and decorative needlework but I never learned how to sew proper garments. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do well.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

They must let the hems/seams out of uniforms that were only worn for one or two seasons so they can reuse them. It would be such a waste otherwise! I always enjoy the uniform fitting episode ?I got an award in high school for most outstanding in home economics. I can do very nice mending and decorative needlework but I never learned how to sew proper garments. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do well.

That's so cool:)  My mother makes quilts and pillows for me, and adds decorative touches herself - no machine.  I love those gifts.   I feel it's becoming a lost art.  I don't have the patience for it myself, but really respect those that do!

• Love 7

What about the returning TCCs who were cut from the previous season? Do they keep those separate from ones who retired? Or would theirs be loaned out for spare pieces? They always seem to have their uniform they were fitted for the previous season. They even had Kelli Fullerton 's from 6 years ago but she had to get a new one a size larger.

19 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Depends on the damage. Normal wear and tear or actual damage...i.e. Sharpie stain/bleed, iron burn, pull or pills on sleeves, fuzzy fringe all get replaced with a better piece from what we have in reserve. Only one custom uniform per girl during her rookie season that’s lasts until she retires. 

Back in season 6, Kelli said something about that Kaitlin Legrand girl missing her "uniform size-up" or something like that. What is/was that? I couldn't IMAGINE having to stay in one uniform for my entire tenure, but I guess that's why I am not a DCC lol

• Love 2
Just now, LadyMsJay said:

Back in season 6, Kelli said something about that Kaitlin Legrand girl missing her "uniform size-up" or something like that. What is/was that? I couldn't IMAGINE having to stay in one uniform for my entire tenure, but I guess that's why I am not a DCC lol

I might not be able to wear it from one week to the next :) 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 9/3/2018 at 8:06 PM, ShellyB said:

Once the team is announced, the girls are handed their uniform for the year. Until that moment, all TCCs uniforms are kept in our uniform closet. The girls are responsible for cleaning their own uniforms. Dry cleaning is prohibited. The buckle and stars are removable, allowing the uniforms to be thrown in the washing machine. I hung mine to dry, but it’s fine to put in the dryer as well. 

The boots are just like any other pair of boots, they need to be broken in and formed to their feet. Years ago, their feet would be measured for a custom fit. Now the boots are made in a variety of sizes and widths dependent upon the sizes turned in with their paperwork. They are sized by the bootmaker with samples. 

Group 1 leader usually has the most tenure on the team. For the most part, the leaders collaborate on everything, but if decisions need to be made, naturally they defer to G1. 

Sooo can I be extra proud of my girl JennK for getting G1 and point when there were plenty of girls with more years on the squad? :D

3 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Sooo can I be extra proud of my girl JennK for getting G1 and point when there were plenty of girls with more years on the squad? :D

Some girls just have it - the talent, the maturity, the ability to teach.  She's due soon, I think.  And Mary will be teaching her class this week.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

She also has a teaching/choreography background...that definitely pushed her to the forefront. 

• Love 10
On 9/3/2018 at 5:04 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Another time, on a USO tour, a bottle of red Gatorade exploded all over Brooke's uniform and if I remember correctly, she used those detergent wipes or something like that to get it out.  

Brooke actually stuck it in the sink. She had no access to a dryer so she wore the uniform wet to the appearance.

• Useful 1

@ShellyB, which dance choreo is decided by the group leaders at the games? Is it the sidelines and if so, which leader get to call it...do they rotate turns? If it's the quarter changes, it seems all four corners are doing the same dance, so how do they all know to start the same choreo in each of the four corners? 

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

@ShellyB, which dance choreo is decided by the group leaders at the games? Is it the sidelines and if so, which leader get to call it...do they rotate turns? If it's the quarter changes, it seems all four corners are doing the same dance, so how do they all know to start the same choreo in each of the four corners? 

There are specific dances assigned to each song that might be played.  All four leaders will hopefully start the moves to the right dance and the rest of the group will follow.   Remember last season, KaShara started the wrong dance to the song?  I think it was the last ep.

Quarter change dances are usually set in advance - or at least they used to be.  I would assume that hasn't changed.  Years ago, one of the gals would make up a decorative newsletter for each home game and everyone had a copy.  It would list the pregame song, halftime, and all quarter changes.   It also had pictures, a list of what to pack, oh and what group was performing on the plaza.   I wonder if they still do that @ShellyB?  It was a pretty cool scrapbook page for the girls.

• Love 3
On 9/10/2018 at 9:00 PM, Teresa said:

All quarter changes are the same for the 4 groups. When the girls are on the sidelines, each leader will call tags or dances, depending on the length of the timeout, that go to the music. They have about 5 seconds to listen and call out the choreo. 

On 9/10/2018 at 10:45 PM, scorpio1031 said:

I wonder if they still do that @ShellyB?  It was a pretty cool scrapbook page for the girls.

No

• Love 3
On 9/11/2018 at 11:43 PM, ShellyB said:

All quarter changes are the same for the 4 groups. When the girls are on the sidelines, each leader will call tags or dances, depending on the length of the timeout, that go to the music. They have about 5 seconds to listen and call out the choreo. 

No

Thanks Shelly!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

Jessica! She was great. (Not the most recent Jessica, another one)

Jessica Allison! Loved her!! she flew under the radar so much but was a great dancer and so pretty.  She's the one who won the big nyx make up competition last year. 

• Love 1

@ShellyB Do the veterans have to be at rehearsal every night during training camp, just like the rookie candidates? It seems like a good portion of the dances are ones the veterans already know. If it isn't a filming night and old dances are being taught, are the vets expected to be there? If so, do they go off and do something else while the newbies are learning the choreography?

9 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

@ShellyB Do the veterans have to be at rehearsal every night during training camp, just like the rookie candidates? It seems like a good portion of the dances are ones the veterans already know. If it isn't a filming night and old dances are being taught, are the vets expected to be there? If so, do they go off and do something else while the newbies are learning the choreography?

During Rookie week the Vets will trade nights on teaching responsibilities. Otherwise, the rest of TC, everyone is at rehearsal. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Annmarie1111 said:

@ShellyBShelly, just curious what a game day is like for the girls.  I know they are at the stadium hours before game time.  Do they eat? Rest? Shower?  

Thanks in advance Shelly

Arrive at the stadium and get ready for rehearsal. They will run through pregame performance, player intro, quarter changes and celebration songs. If there is any other special performance, i.e. halftime, they will run through that too. After rehearsal, they go back to the locker room and prepare for the game...relax, group gifts, eat, get ready for plaza performances and pregame. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

Arrive at the stadium and get ready for rehearsal. They will run through pregame performance, player intro, quarter changes and celebration songs. If there is any other special performance, i.e. halftime, they will run through that too. After rehearsal, they go back to the locker room and prepare for the game...relax, group gifts, eat, get ready for plaza performances and pregame. 

I'm tired just reading that :) 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, ShellyB said:

@ShellyBthanks Shelly

2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Every game?

I believe a lot of the gifts are sponsored.  The girls will usually thank this company for this t-shirt or cosmetic bag, or that company for the socks or cupcakes.  The girls also used to get gifts from their DCC Big Sisters - alumni who "adopt" a girl for the season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Every game?

Every home game.

1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

I believe a lot of the gifts are sponsored.  The girls will usually thank this company for this t-shirt or cosmetic bag, or that company for the socks or cupcakes.  The girls also used to get gifts from their DCC Big Sisters - alumni who "adopt" a girl for the season. 

Some of them may be sponsored, but not alot. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Melissa A said:

@ShellyB If a young lady has not had experience in color guard, drill team, or marching band prior to DCC training camp, where would she gain that experience? Or perhaps a better question is do you think prior marching experience would be helpful?

It’s possible that the importance of knowing yardlines, toes on the lone, formations, etc., would. Be very helpful. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ShellyB said:

It’s possible that the importance of knowing yardlines, toes on the lone, formations, etc., would. Be very helpful. 

I figured as much. ? Back to the first part of my question, though...if the ladies haven’t had any previous marching experience at all, are they just given a crash course in marching on the field in training camp? ? 

1 hour ago, Melissa A said:

I figured as much. ? Back to the first part of my question, though...if the ladies haven’t had any previous marching experience at all, are they just given a crash course in marching on the field in training camp? ? 

I do a class in the fall that we get to use the field, just to give them some familiarity. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

@ShellyB, random question, I know the stadium has AC inside but do they have heating as well when it turns cold outside?

I would think so...I’ve never thought about it. The stadium stays at 72 degrees, give or take a few degrees. Of course, when it’s cooler outside, you can feel a little bit of the chill inside. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

I would think so...I’ve never thought about it. The stadium stays at 72 degrees, give or take a few degrees. Of course, when it’s cooler outside, you can feel a little bit of the chill inside. 

thanks for answering. I can imagine the sun at some point in the year comes into that huge glass wall during a game.  Giant curtain???  LOL JK

@ShellyB is there a fitness/nutrition seminar included in training camp? And do you know if RCL or the Rockettes offer that kind of seminar to their cast?

I always thought professional dancers were expected to take responsibility for maintaining their bodies in top condition and educating themselves on how to do that. I would guess that the DCC would offer some basic info, but it's ultimately the dancer's responsibility to know how to take care of herself. So many people are complaining about jinelle being assigned as Victoria's "nutrition buddy" so to speak. It seems to me like that's a favor. That's really going above and beyond, let alone paying for a professional nutritionist for a TCC as some have suggested.

I'm just trying to understand what is the norm in the industry. I never would have thought that a professional nutritionist would be brought on board to individually coach DCC, rockettes, Broadway dancers, Vegas showgirls, dancers on tour with a big singer, etc. I could understand having a general info session and maybe referrals to outside providers, but individual professional help seems expensive, and someone who is dancing in a pro environment should be doing what she needs to do on her own. But I'm pretty ignorant about how things work in that world.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

@ShellyB is there a fitness/nutrition seminar included in training camp? And do you know if RCL or the Rockettes offer that kind of seminar to their cast?

I always thought professional dancers were expected to take responsibility for maintaining their bodies in top condition and educating themselves on how to do that. I would guess that the DCC would offer some basic info, but it's ultimately the dancer's responsibility to know how to take care of herself. So many people are complaining about jinelle being assigned as Victoria's "nutrition buddy" so to speak. It seems to me like that's a favor. That's really going above and beyond, let alone paying for a professional nutritionist for a TCC as some have suggested.

I'm just trying to understand what is the norm in the industry. I never would have thought that a professional nutritionist would be brought on board to individually coach DCC, rockettes, Broadway dancers, Vegas showgirls, dancers on tour with a big singer, etc. I could understand having a general info session and maybe referrals to outside providers, but individual professional help seems expensive, and someone who is dancing in a pro environment should be doing what she needs to do on her own. But I'm pretty ignorant about how things work in that world.

We do not have someone on staff that does that kind of training full time, but the TCCs have Cowboys Fit at their disposal to seek nutritional advice. 

As for RCL, they have a protocol for maintaining weight. I glanced over her contract and they are expected to work out in the gym or yoga and hour a day, 5 days a week. Their meals are all nutritionally balanced to maintain their energy throughout their shows. I don’t remember er Jacie telling me anything specific about nutrition and staying fit, but she did tell me that they have a specific place that they are required to go to recoop their muscles, get massages and get treated for any injuries.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

We do not have someone on staff that does that kind of training full time, but the TCCs have Cowboys Fit at their disposal to seek nutritional advice. 

As for RCL, they have a protocol for maintaining weight. I glanced over her contract and they are expected to work out in the gym or yoga and hour a day, 5 days a week. Their meals are all nutritionally balanced to maintain their energy throughout their shows. I don’t remember er Jacie telling me anything specific about nutrition and staying fit, but she did tell me that they have a specific place that they are required to go to recoop their muscles, get massages and get treated for any injuries.

Wow, much more involved than I thought. Thanks for the insight!

RCL totally makes sense, now that you explain it. It is so easy to gain weight on cruise food. It makes sense that they provide some support and structure in that area.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ShellyB said:

I do a class in the fall that we get to use the field, just to give them some familiarity. 

Nice. ?  

Please forgive the slight tangent here... I’m aware there have been ladies who’ve come from a drill team background. Have there been any who have come from a colorguard/winterguard background?

53 minutes ago, Melissa A said:

Nice. ?  

Please forgive the slight tangent here... I’m aware there have been ladies who’ve come from a drill team background. Have there been any who have come from a colorguard/winterguard background?

Hmmm...I’d have to think. Kelli was the drum major of her HS band. Hence the strong reasoning she has for “toes on the line”. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Hmmm...I’d have to think. Kelli was the drum major of her HS band. Hence the strong reasoning she has for “toes on the line”. 

That’s really cool. Never pictured Kelli in band. ?It all makes sense now. ? ?

• Love 1

Are the girls required to give out their social media passwords or "friend" Kelli and Judy so they can look at their posts? I've always kind of wondered this. I have my twitter and facebook well hidden so that when you google my name it doesn't pop up.  I've seen episodes where they saw photos on a TC  dancer and was sent home. It seems like they would have the sense to clean up their social media before sharing it with DCC staff. Right?

59 minutes ago, Kate2006 said:

Are the girls required to give out their social media passwords or "friend" Kelli and Judy so they can look at their posts? I've always kind of wondered this. I have my twitter and facebook well hidden so that when you google my name it doesn't pop up.  I've seen episodes where they saw photos on a TC  dancer and was sent home. It seems like they would have the sense to clean up their social media before sharing it with DCC staff. Right?

Yep I always thought that! Why wouldn’t you clean up social media and delete picture before ?