Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: First Blood

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

I imagine them, much like Serena Joy, being unpleasantly surprised to find out that they don’t get an exemption from specific rules they don’t agree with, though ... 

13 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

That does seem to be what happens. 

That was what I assumed early on, that Serena Joy thought she would be special and not have to follow the same rules as the peasants.

Now though?  I am really doubting that supposition.

I can't imagine Serena wanted Gilead to be what the men designed.  She expected to be included in the design of their new God and Nature centered country.

She wasn't, as we saw when the door closed in her face.  They used her televangelist and writing skills to get support from vast swatches of the USA, to convince them to have babies, stop polluting, and put God first, and the Bible first.

That doesn't mean she expected or wanted:

• Women in identical uniforms
  • Handmaids or the hated sex ceremony
  • Bans on women reading
  • Aunts
  • To never have sex again
  • Mass murders to eliminate professors, doctors, writers, or even all of the scientists
  • Only being able to converse with nonsense like "Blessed Day." instead of expressing opinions or ideas
  • Not being allowed to drive
  • No entertainment at all, no swimming, no movies, no music, no cocktail parties
  • Not being allowed to drive a car

I think she did expect wars and resistance, religious instead of science based education, taking away women's jobs and money (though I wonder if she thought that would be ALL women, or just the "sinners.") 

This is a completely MALE decided version of "Godly."  I seriously doubt this is what she had in mind. 

• Love 3
On 5/23/2018 at 1:21 AM, HeySandyStrange said:

As for the rest-seriously, fuck Serena Joy. I can't wait to see her turned into a Martha or Unwoman, though with any luck she'll finagle her way into an Aunt position. 

What I want to see is her on trial in Canada, trying to justify herself while June and others testify against her and no one is on her side, and then being given a very harsh sentence. 

• Love 5
On 5/23/2018 at 9:24 PM, GraceK said:

Anyone else think that Serena was legitimately disturbed by the fact that Ofglen had her tongue ripped out? Do you think she was aware of that or was taken by surprise? Do you think she has any human empathy at all ?

I thought she seemed surprised, shocked, and horrified. 

Was anyone else yelling at their screen that Nick is an idiot, when he went up to a top commander and asked to be reassigned and for him to “protect the handmaid”? First, way to reveal your affair with June to the higher ups, and two, why would he EVER think for a SECOND that a commander would protect a handmaid in any useful way? He seems to be sympathetic to June being raped etc, but he wants to leave her alone with only the vague word of someone who set up this whole rape system in the first place to protect her? Are we supposed to like Nick??

• Love 3
(edited)

I really liked this episode. The June/Serena stuff is compelling. I don't want to manipusplain here June but why try and get something that big out of Serena so fast? It's weird that June is way more patient at manipulating the Commander than Serena. Serena was never going to do something that big after a couple of days of "friendship".

Also I like to think the awkward brunch is what sent Ofglen II over the edge. Loved her turning round to give the other Handmaids time to run. But where did she get the explosives and where were the Aunts this time? With the Aunts, I hope the show explicitly says the Commanders didn't think they would be necessary.

Edited by Beatriceblake
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Beatriceblake said:

I really liked this episode. The June/Serena stuff is compelling. I don't want to manipusplain here June but why try and get something that big out of Serena so fast? It's weird that June is way more patient at manipulating the Commander than Serena. Serena was never going to do something that big after a couple of days of "friendship".

Also I like to think the awkward brunch is what sent Ofglen II over the edge. Loved her turning round to give the other Handmaids time to run. But where did she get the explosives and where were the Aunts this time? With the Aunts, I hope the show explicitly says the Commanders didn't think they would be necessary.

Serena was saving her own life, and "her" baby's life.  It was desperate after watching her neighbor's hung.  She could have been next.

She probably got them from Mayday.  They were out of the handmaid rescue business, and have obviously moved on to direct attacks.

• Love 1