Type keyword(s) to search

Whiskey Cavalier - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love Foley - think he's hilarious. Not sure the premise really sold me though. I hate those kind of will they won't they get together shows where there's only one couple to ship.

• Love 6
On 5/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, Happy Harpy said:

I loved the trailer. TV is so full of emotionally manipulative dramas taking themselves way too seriously lately, a funny light one is something the doctor ordered.

This is why I’m going to give it a chance. It looks fun.

• Love 3

The only reason Whiskey Cavalier makes a blip on my radar is due to the lady herself. She is definitely a good catch for ABC and will  be bringing a large following over from The Dead, where I pray she stays.  Will Lauren or Frankie be enough to keep them there though? It will be interesting to see her in a different environment after all these years. Seeing Tyler ‘Noah’ again will be good, let’s hope his outcome looks a lot brighter in this one Lol

7E73B3A5-48C5-4755-80C4-E19AD59B1AB0.thumb.jpeg.05f4c182d7175869c1aa2fb7577f4d93.jpeg

• Love 1

I wish Lauren had another leading man. I can't stand Foley as an actor, he is mediocre at best. I hope that she is getting paid the same or more than him. I love both Ana Ortiz and Tyler James Williams so I think the cast is pretty strong.

This looks like it has the potential to be a fun show and I'm in serious need of those right now so I'll give this a looksee.  I like Scott Foley just fine and I loved both Lauren and Tyler on TWD so it's a good cast IMO.

• Love 2

I’ve never heard of Foley, but the show does look quite promising. It’s always been a tough ask combining action and adventure with humour, get it wrong and it goes very, very wrong. It will be interesting to see Lauren in a different environment, especially reunited with Tyler. Part of me hopes it tanks so she will come back to the dead, but selfishness aside, I hope it works out for the pair of them.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, Dani said:

There is going to be a preview of the first episode Feb. 24th after the Oscars. 

Is it a preview of the first episode or are they showing the entire episode?  That is happening more often--when a network will air the premiere of a show early, and then again when the show actually premieres (which I mean, why don't they just start the series?)  

50 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Is it a preview of the first episode or are they showing the entire episode?  That is happening more often--when a network will air the premiere of a show early, and then again when the show actually premieres (which I mean, why don't they just start the series?)  

The entire episode which will then re-air three days later(I don’t get it either). Here is the schedule for Oscar Sunday.

EASTERN STANDARD TIME

1-2 PM – “Countdown To Oscars, Live! Part 1”
2-4 PM – “Countdown To Oscars, Live! Part 2”
6:30-8 PM – “Oscars Opening Ceremony: Live From the Red Carpet”
8-11 PM – “The Oscars”
11:35 PM-12:3 AM – “Whiskey Cavalier” Sneak Peek

PACIFIC STANDARD TIME

10-1 AM – “Countdown To Oscars, Live! Part 1”
11 AM-1 PM – “Countdown To Oscars, Live! Part 2”
3:30-5 PM – “Oscars Opening Ceremony: Live From the Red Carpet”
5-8 PM – “The Oscars”
10-11:04 PM – “Whiskey Cavalier” Sneak Peek

On 1/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I bet you live on the east coast.  On the west coast, we can watch the Oscars from 5-8, and then people want something new to see.  So, the networks sometimes run something new.  Everyone else can DVR it.

***MOD NOTE***

The official air date for the premiere is Wednesday, February 27.  However, there will be a "sneak peak" airing of the pilot following the Oscars on Sunday, February 24.  

Because of this, discussion of the pilot will start in this thread on 2/24.  If you choose to read further in this thread after the sneak peak airing but before the official premiere, you will be spoiled!

• Love 1

I'm really liking what I see in the trailer. I have wanted to find another must see show along the lines of Castle since that went off the air, and this looks like it could be the one. And Bill Lawrence producing? Oh, hell YES. Fingers crossed.

I like how Will is a total hopeless romantic, including singing Total Eclipse of the Heart after a break-up. Didn't expect his friend/coworker to be dating his ex. Ouch, that's cold.

Love what a badass Frankie is and how Will's colleague fangirls over her on the phone. Edgar is hilarious. I cracked up when he passed out during Frankie's "surgery." 

Definitely as fun as the previews show and I'll catch it again on Wednesday.

• Love 10

I can't not give a chance to a show that starts with Total Eclipse of the Heart -loved the BGM as a whole. LOL at the streets in Paris, this was a very realistic detail in an otherwise OTT show. OTT, in a good way.

Great cast, great cast chemistry. I liked or loved the characters, which is a make it or break it point for me. Fun and fluffy, just what the doctor ordered. There's room for improvement but imo comedies are like diesel and take more time to find their groove. This one was funny enough to be quite promising and as far as pilot goes, it was among the good ones.

If they can manage a bit more depth as the story goes, while keeping the ride fun, I'm going to love this show.

Only one thing annoyed me, the cliché about Lauren Cohan's character (can women not be romantic or not be all about feelings just because? Thank you.)

• Love 6

I liked this!  I happen to like both principle actors, and think this could be an enjoyable show.

But:

A 'tarball' is a file, generated by the 'tar' utility, found on most UNIX systems.  Your tarball (with a .tar suffix) is commonly compressed with something like 'gzip', giving a .tar.gz or .tgz suffix.  Think of it as the UNIX version of a .ZIP file.  In other words, it isn't something you can hide in a tooth, any more than you could hide any file in a tooth.  Why do the writers of so many shows insist on misusing technical terms?  Is it supposed to impress the viewers with how connected the writers are to the latest technology?  Because the term has been around for at least 40 years.   TAR = Tape ARchive, so called because this utility originated in the day when they used reel-to-reel tapes to archive data.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I was glad to see that Hulu had this on this morning--I was afraid I was going to have to wait until Thursday to see it.

This was...pretty enjoyable!  I mean, I don't understand why 3 branches of the US Intelligence system work against each other, but I also realize that it is the whole basis for this show, so I just won't think about that.

I've been curious about this one because Scott Foley's wife, who I despised on Grey's, has an actually pretty entertaining IG account and has been posting a lot about their time in Prague filming this, and

Spoiler

she'll be joining the show later in the season.

So, my build up for this show was more than I would normally have, which is usually a bad sign, but actually worked out in this case.  I mean, it's not a show where I'd parse every minute detail of the plot and the characters, but it is a fun way to pass 44 minutes each week.

• Love 3

Tampon bomb - that's new!

Anyway, I wasn't really interested in this, because from the ads they seemed to hitting ALL the clichés of the genre with two very typical leads. But I did watch the 'sneak peek,' and I might be here for the supporting cast but I don't know if this will be regular viewing for me. This reminds me of Chuck a little bit.

• Love 8

It was a decent pilot, but the ending was rushed as hell - we needed to see them become a team officially. And I think they made a mistake of making Gigi just a cheater. I would have integrated her as fellow spy, or one working for another nation using Will. it would have created more tension and drama later, she would gate in-between the two of them, etc... Chuck really did it perfectly. As for the leads, they had sufficient chemistry.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, tanita said:

It was a decent pilot, but the ending was rushed as hell - we needed to see them become a team officially. And I think they made a mistake of making Gigi just a cheater. I would have integrated her as fellow spy, or one working for another nation using Will. it would have created more tension and drama later, she would gate in-between the two of them, etc... Chuck really did it perfectly. As for the leads, they had sufficient chemistry.

I think that would have bothered me more if I thought we would see her again.  I think she was just used to set up the premise and we won't be seeing her again as she no longer serves any purpose to the plot.

• Love 9

I really liked it. It hooked me from “Total Eclipse of the Heart”. I’m know there were flaws but I was enjoying it to much to notice them. 

6 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I started it, but there was a weird cut coming back from commercial after the helicopter is blown up. I couldn't figure out what happened to the bad guy. Maybe the regular premiere will show it.

Sounds like it was a issue with your local station. In the version I watched it cut right back to the explosion after the commercial. Will shot the bad guy. 

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think that would have bothered me more if I thought we would see her again.  I think she was just used to set up the premise and we won't be seeing her again as she no longer serves any purpose to the plot.

I agree. Just let the cheater be a cheater without anymore drama. 

11 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I don't understand why 3 branches of the US Intelligence system work against each other

I had an even bigger problem understanding how a CIA agent and a Fibbie would be part of the same team. Different jurisdictions, no?

Anyway, I liked its fluffiness, and yes, the opening scene of crying breakup private karaoke, plus Tyler James Williams/Edgar Standish kind of single handedly saved a lot of scenes, and Vir Das/Jai has great screen presence.

Kind of a palate cleanser after the finale of the dark True Detective.

Reminds me of White Collar and Chuck, both of which I managed to watch 3 seasons of.

At least it didn't have pilot-itis.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had an even bigger problem understanding how a CIA agent and a Fibbie would be part of the same team. Different jurisdictions, no?

Anyway, I liked its fluffiness, and yes, the opening scene of crying breakup private karaoke, plus Tyler James Williams/Edgar Standish kind of single handedly saved a lot of scenes, and Vir Das/Jai has great screen presence.

Reminds me of White Collar and Chuck, both of which I managed to watch 3 seasons of.

Oh. I want to look up True Detective at some point. I totally forgot that it was on.

I forgot this was on last night, too. I guess I'll wait until Wednesday, unless they have it up on the website. 

I wanted to like this.  There are a lot of actors from shows I used to watch, but I found this pilot bland and formulaic.  The main guy is fairly likeable, though I don't see any potential path for him which interests me.  The main female character was the stereotypical emotional detached kickass agent, so I couldn't connect with her on any level.  They had zero chemistry together.  I wanted to like the hacker as well, and they seemed to be trying a ton of jokes and quips but none of them made me laugh. So for me, it didn't work as a comedy or a drama.

"Chuck" was fun partly because it had a unique premise with the electronics store.  "Alias" was interesting because it focused on her double life and the relationship with her father.  This show was very run of the mill and didn't seem to have a deeper mythology or anything special which makes it stand out as different.  I hope it becomes more interesting once the team starts working together... I sort of want to keep watching solely for Scott Foley and the other cast I've seen before but none of the characters stand out as interesting people.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Chemistry in the leads was ho-hum, cardboardish.  I'll probably watch, but it seems like a summer show.  Couldn't they have done one episode before introducing agent as surgeon?  I found the move between being hopelessly heartbroken over a lost love to being smitten with Loren Cohan's character too much. 

Thumbs up for the exploding tampon. 

Edited by TWP

Just watched the show, as a fan of the more hard core, non humorous, all action shows in this genre, I thought it was pretty good.

I prefer Lauren’s role in Mile 22 to this, and if she wasn’t in Whiskey Cavalier would I have liked it as much? In all honesty no, but I still enjoyed the humour and interaction between the characters.

I do agree that the ‘team building’ was really rushed, after only 45 minutes the bad guy was exposed and everyone has been moulded into a crack new outfit and are all ready to go?

Let’s see what the next episode brings, as all the preliminaries have been dealt with in Ep1, we’ll hopefully see what the show can really offer in the way of entertainment.

• Love 2

My wife and I bounced after about 10 minutes of this dreck, when "Whiskey" (ugh) let the woman cuff him to the bar.

Sad, stale and stupid -- TEotH is a booooooring choice these days.  And, no, the FBI does NOT operate out of the US (and the CIA has a VERY limited role in it). 

It's off our DVR; I just stopped by to see what others were saying.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm with you with the fluffiness and palate cleansing virtues of this show.  I'm someone who can really go far (too far, I know) into the weeds on shows and this one is corny enough that it turns off that part of my brains, but also not so corny that I lose interest.  It is, for me, the perfect mindless entertainment.

I watched this again last night with my husband and enjoyed it just as much as the first time I watched it--and he quite liked it too.  It's not without its faults, but there are plenty of other shows that I can nitpick.  With this one, I'm practicing my "don't think about it too hard" muscle.

• Love 7

I found something else to do about 15 minutes into the pilot, but I do think I'll watch again Wed. night. The beginning was pretty funny and I don't hate the leads. I give the show a limp high five for at least not including the obligatory 'overturns a fruit cart' cliché in the first chase scene.

• Love 2

I hope that later episodes flesh out the characters more, as the main characters were rather cliche, but I thought this was pretty good, and while the main characters were cliche, its a pilot, and there is plenty of time to grow them more, and the story itself was fast paced and enjoyable. I like all of the actors, so I am excited to see where this goes. 

I didnt see the friend hooking up with the fiance coming. Not cool, guys! Did his doofy friend die when he got shot? And its not every day the day is saved by an exploding tampon! 

Being unable to get anywhere in Paris during a big soccer match was so funny because its totally true. And really, they had me at post break up Total Eclipse of the Heart.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I remember TJW from the short-lived Matthew Perry show Go On, so I'm enjoying his comedic timing again. 

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've been really wanting a stupid, fun procedural that I can mindlessly watch and this one has potential there so I'll definitely keep watching.

Me too -- ABC screwed me over with Deception last year, so they better not do that again.

• Love 4