Type keyword(s) to search

Magic Word: Charmed in the Media

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Matt K said:

Apparently this means we're almost certainly getting 4 seasons then.  I've been really enjoying the show so far so this is just good news for me.

I feel like any CW show that makes it to a full season order usually gets at least 3 seasons after.

Kind of an old article, but Julian McMahon is open to reprising his role of Cole in the reboot. Out of all of the characters, he'd be the one I'd most want to see on the reboot, especially considering what happened to his character in the end. If he, Prue and Paige can come back in some way I'd be happy.

https://comicbook.com/2018/11/02/julian-mcmahon-is-open-to-a-role-on-the-charmed-reboot/

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 3

You're right that that's an older article and there's been nothing from the reboot's producers to show that they're interested. If Julian is part of this, it won't be as Cole.  That's obvious since they've already introduced their Cole-character.  Julian would come in as a different, much older character, not one who would romance on of these sisters.  I would LOVE to see him portray the Source!

But it definitely sounds like he's interested, but the producers aren't, so I don't think he'll show up  just like I don't think Shannen, Holly, Alyssa, Rose or Brian will show up on the series, especially not as the Halliwells. 

The only way where that *might* happen is if the ratings REALLY sink and they bring the Halliwells in as to try to draw ratings from Classic Charmed fans during one of the ratings period.  And if they have to sink that low, they're not doing well, so those who want it to continue wouldn't want to see Cole or the Halliwells.

Edited by Esmeralda
23 hours ago, Esmeralda said:

You're right that that's an older article and there's been nothing from the reboot's producers to show that they're interested. If Julian is part of this, it won't be as Cole.  That's obvious since they've already introduced their Cole-character.  Julian would come in as a different, much older character, not one who would romance on of these sisters.  I would LOVE to see him portray the Source!

But it definitely sounds like he's interested, but the producers aren't, so I don't think he'll show up  just like I don't think Shannen, Holly, Alyssa, Rose or Brian will show up on the series, especially not as the Halliwells. 

The only way where that *might* happen is if the ratings REALLY sink and they bring the Halliwells in as to try to draw ratings from Classic Charmed fans during one of the ratings period.  And if they have to sink that low, they're not doing well, so those who want it to continue wouldn't want to see Cole or the Halliwells.

I have a feeling Shannen will want to be a part of it in the future. She's been interested in getting back into acting for some time now. I'd love it if she appears on Charmed. We finally get to see Prue be the badass witch lending a hand to the future Charmed ones. (I can see her being a badass wicca like Penny)

I  have a feeling that Shannen might *want* to be part of it, but won't.  Like I said, this universe has no connection to the Classic Charmedverse with the slight exception of Melinda Warren and nothing will come from that since that actress retired from TV acting so she could act on the stage shortly after filming 'The Witch Is Back, the reason she never appeared on Classic Charmed again.  Besides she's 20 years older and won't look anything like Melinda's ghost. Ditto for all of the Classic Charmed actors.  I'll be shocked if any of them show up on the reboot, even as just a cameo.  They want to do this on their own.  And that's why they never should've named it Charmed!

Edited by Esmeralda
  • Love 1
On 30/10/2018 at 4:55 PM, Minneapple said:

Article about Shannen's defense of the reboot

Holly Marie and Alyssa should get over themselves. I look at how the actresses of the Sabrina sitcom treated the Netflix reboot and I wish the Charmed actresses had behaved the same way. They asked Joss about a potential Buffy reboot and Joss was like, yeah whatever. And Buffy is way more sacred than Charmed.

Well, the major differences being that the Sabrina show is not a reboot or remake of the sitcom. It's an adaptation of another comic book as its source material. The sitcom isn't the original work.

There is no source material in book form or other for the original Charmed series. That series IS the source material for this reboot.

With Buffy, it appears the original creators are actually involved in the new show.

I feel that is the main difference.

The original cast don’t seem to mind a new show, it’s the way in which it’s been handled and they and the original show itself have been dismissed that’s caused offence. HMC and Milano have both said they hope it finds a fanbase as dedicated as the one the original had and wish all the best to the new cast.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 12:59 AM, Esmeralda said:

I  have a feeling that Shannen might *want* to be part of it, but won't.  Like I said, this universe has no connection to the Classic Charmedverse with the slight exception of Melinda Warren and nothing will come from that since that actress retired from TV acting so she could act on the stage shortly after filming 'The Witch Is Back, the reason she never appeared on Classic Charmed again.  Besides she's 20 years older and won't look anything like Melinda's ghost. Ditto for all of the Classic Charmed actors.  I'll be shocked if any of them show up on the reboot, even as just a cameo.  They want to do this on their own.  And that's why they never should've named it Charmed!

That's irrelevant. "Melinda Warren" would simply be this show's version of that character, not the actual Melinda Warren from the OG show. 

Just as the "Elders" are this show's own version of that idea, not the one's depicted in the original. 

Edited by Lost
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Lost said:

That's irrelevant. "Melinda Warren" would simply be this show's version of that character, not the actual Melinda Warren from the OG show. 

Just as the "Elders" are this show's own version of that idea, not the one's depicted in the original. 

Definitely not true - or they wouldn't have used a picture of Tyler Layton.  It was an Easter Egg.  

Edited by Esmeralda
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I thought I recognized Leah Pipes in a previous episode. That's great news and I kind of hope Leah lasts a good while here. I hated how she was written out of The Originals.

From the article:

The switch signals a creative change for Charmed, which “is expected to lean harder into its supernatural storylines and less into the family dynamic” next season, per THR.

Isn't it already doing supernatural storylines?  Isn't the point to show the relationship among the sisters?  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

From the article:

Isn't it already doing supernatural storylines?  Isn't the point to show the relationship among the sisters?  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Right...it has geared more on the supernatural side then it has the "family" aspect of the show. But I think they will probably make the show less corny and try to make it more serious. I'm guessing they arent very happy with the ratings. It's the only new show to get the full 22 while Roswell/Legacies out performs it.

• Love 2

LOL, as if the show was heavy on the family aspect anyway. Unlike the original, it doesn't look like these sisters were even based off any of the showrunners like the original Charmed was on Connie and her sisters. So it isn't three sisters who happen to be witches but three witches who happen to be sisters, with all the new powers they already have, it really does seem like the supernatural aspect is more important. 

The relationship between the sisters is hardly important in this one. This is no Charmed Season 1 from 1998. Which made the sister's relationship important. Season 1 of the reboot felt like Charmed Season 4 and 5 to me.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, nightwing877 said:

LOL, as if the show was heavy on the family aspect anyway. Unlike the original, it doesn't look like these sisters were even based off any of the showrunners like the original Charmed was on Connie and her sisters. So it isn't three sisters who happen to be witches but three witches who happen to be sisters, with all the new powers they already have, it really does seem like the supernatural aspect is more important. 

Well, the show is heavy on the family aspect, in the sense that the sisters do spend time together every episode. With the news about them going in a more supernatural direction, it sounds like season 2 won't be as light hearted and they're heading toward a darker season, probably with less sister bonding. And that's the thing that worries me, because the sisters and Harry are the reason for me pushing through this first season. I'm not opposed to more supernatural elements, but I'm opposed to it turning really dark and potentially too many separate storylines.

I was more concerned about the romantic drama, and that was the only change I really needed for season 2. Now it sounds like they really do want a darker season, potentially to mirror more of a Supernatural vibe. I worry that it won't be a good change. But we'll see, I guess.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, the show is heavy on the family aspect, in the sense that the sisters do spend time together every episode. With the news about them going in a more supernatural direction, it sounds like season 2 won't be as light hearted and they're heading toward a darker season, probably with less sister bonding. And that's the thing that worries me, because the sisters and Harry are the reason for me pushing through this first season. I'm not opposed to more supernatural elements, but I'm opposed to it turning really dark and potentially too many separate storylines.

I was more concerned about the romantic drama, and that was the only change I really needed for season 2. Now it sounds like they really do want a darker season, potentially to mirror more of a Supernatural vibe. I worry that it won't be a good change. But we'll see, I guess.

And with Supernatural now ending next season, are they trying to fill that void by trying to win over those fans by making it more darker and supernatural. 

The relationship between the sisters and Harry are the key to keeping me watching too, I like don't care for the other characters. 

I do hope they slow down on too many separate storylines. I wonder if this is why the showrunners are changing, maybe they are seeing that the ones in charge of S1, have done poorly with trying to do storylines, by rushing so much and adding too much. I have to say, S1 really felt like two seasons of storylines all in one. I'm still surprised they resolved their mothers killer in episode 15/16, and not the finale. 

At least they have toned down all the romantic plots, lately, they haven't been giving all three sisters their romantic plots in the same episode. And I've liked we've gotten more sisterly stuff in these last few. 

I'm curious if these new showrunners might ditch Parker or Galvin for S2. With new showrunners, normally they see what is working and who isn't, with a clean slate. 

Although Galvin barely adds much to the plot, I didn't even notice he has been MIA for 3 episodes. LOL

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I just hope they focus more on the sisters saving innocents and let us explore the town. 

I hope they do too, I want more innocents and us to explore the town. It doesn't seem like the University is as important I believed it was. 

I hope they explore more of the town, I mean the show is set in Michigan, they can still leave this town. I mean they need to have reasons why this town has so much demonic activity, and they resolved that with the reboot having its own Nexus under their house.

Some of the articles are saying the new direction next season will involve the show going "darker".  If anything, the weakest parts of Season 1 is when the show has tried to be "dark" and depressing, and frankly, I'm tired of shows like that.  

I do find it funny looking back at old articles that the first person cast was Galvin and this was the character's description:

Blain will play Galvin, the ideal boyfriend — funny, mellow, in touch with his emotions, totally on board to follow his lady across the country for her dream job. An aspiring filmmaker, he has yet to catch the break he’s sure is just around the corner.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, Camera One said:

I do find it funny looking back at old articles that the first person cast was Galvin and this was the character's description:

On 3/27/2019 at 7:28 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Oh man. They completely went the opposite way with Galvin, didn't they? 

He was supposed to be a co-lead??? They really reduced his role a lot, & now he's dead.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GaT said:

He was supposed to be a co-lead??? They really reduced his role a lot, & now he's dead.

If Galvin traveled across the country to be with Macy, they would have to live together. Inviting 2 complete strangers to live in your house would be a stretch and hiding the supernatural elements from Galvin would be painfully improbable. The other scenario is that Galvin and Macy move into an apartment together, then you lose a lot of sister bonding time and moments. 

(edited)
On 1/31/2019 at 11:51 PM, Esmeralda said:

Definitely not true - or they wouldn't have used a picture of Tyler Layton.  It was an Easter Egg.  

A picture is a picture, not a character. Yes, it's a nod, or an Easter egg for older Charmed fans. 

That is not an actual insertion of the character from the OG show. It is, again, this show's version. They included the reference for fun, not for any actual intention of having that actress appear or to have this series literally connect with the original one. They don't exist in the same universe. 

If they had Tyler Layton appear and bring with her references to Prue, Piper and Phoebe then the show's become one whole. As it stands, they're two separate adaptations of the same idea. 

Edited by Lost
On 3/27/2019 at 4:20 AM, Camera One said:

Some of the articles are saying the new direction next season will involve the show going "darker".  If anything, the weakest parts of Season 1 is when the show has tried to be "dark" and depressing, and frankly, I'm tired of shows like that.  

But didn't she move to Hilltown where Galvin was already living? So, she followed him? Lmao. 

Friday isn't the death slot that it used to be where a move to Friday would mean almost certain cancellation. Now it is more the day where the CW programs shows that they want to keep for reasons other than ratings. Dynasty and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend have aired multiple seasons on Friday.

• Love 2
(edited)

Saw this:

Comic-Con 2019: Preview the WBTV Covers for TV Guide Magazine's Must-Have Issue (PHOTOS)

t's that time of year again, nerds! For the 10th year in a row, Warner Bros. TV and TV Guide Magazine have teamed up to produce a special issue celebrating the WBTV properties heading to San Diego's Comic-Con International 2019. And they are as epic as the shows featured within its pages.

Sporting four collectible covers, the glossy publication offers behind-the-scenes spreads, exclusive interviews and amazing catch-up guides to the likes of the Arrowverse, Riverdale, Titans, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Krypton and, of course, Supernatural, as well as sneak peeks at the upcoming Pennyworth, Batwoman and Stargirl, among so many others.

There's also this:

San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Schedule: Full List of Television Panels

San Diego Comic-Con 2019 is approaching and it's never too early to start mapping out your panel plans.

Studios are beginning to announce their lineups for TV panels, screenings and more, and we're rounding it all up to help you with the planning process. Taking place from Wednesday, July 17 through Sunday, July 21, SDCC will give fans the opportunity to get up close and personal with favorites like Supernatural, Arrow and more.

I won't post the entire listing - you can see it here: https://www.tvinsider.com/788903/san-diego-comic-con-2019-schedule-tv-panels-dates-list/  but I will tell you - the rip-off isn't part of it!!!  IT'S ON ITS WAY OUT!!!

I've seen some people thinking that if we're true Charmed fans, we should fight hard to keep the rip-off going because once it's gone, Charmed will be gone forever - it won't come back in any form.

Guess what? As far as I'm concerned, that's just fine.

Had the rip-off been a good show, a true reboot that had shown us how S4-8 should've been done, that would be totally different. But not this mess that's made a laughingstock out of my favorite  show and is about everything EXCEPT three sisters who happened to be witches--just like S4-8, which I count as the alternate-universe spin-off that has nothing to do with Charmed except the name. The same is true for this rip-off that they DARED to call Charmed just in order to cash in on its name and fame and try to cash in on "MeToo". Now that you don't see that much about MeToo, they don't care about the series, so why should we?

It's better if it just goes away and is forgotten, so when fans talk about "Charmed", they mean Classic Charmed only.

I'm glad I've never wasted a second on this mess and that I've never called it "Charmed" since it does not deserve to have that name. To me, it will always be the rip-off since if it wasn't called "Charmed" it wouldn't have lasted a half-season.

Now for those of you who truly enjoyed the show and didn't just watch it because they named it Charmed, my sympathies.  For your sake I hope I'm wrong and the new showrunners will do a good job fixing it.  But without the promo, it will be just like Classic Charmed 5-8 - cheaper sets; cheaper special effects, trying to use sex to sell the show, ending with a show that goes through show rot -a show that goes long beyond its time.

I know I kept watching Classic Charmed in hopes I'd get to see the characters I loved in S1-3 and only did when I saw my Phoebs in "Show Ghouls".  I hope rip-off fans won't have to go through that with their show.

Edited by Esmeralda
1 hour ago, Esmeralda said:

Saw this:

There's also this:

I won't post the entire listing - you can see it here: https://www.tvinsider.com/788903/san-diego-comic-con-2019-schedule-tv-panels-dates-list/  but I will tell you - the rip-off isn't part of it!!!  IT'S ON ITS WAY OUT!!!

I've seen some people thinking that if we're true Charmed fans, we should fight hard to keep the rip-off going because once it's gone, Charmed will be gone forever - it won't come back in any form.

Guess what? As far as I'm concerned, that's just fine.

Had the rip-off been a good show, a true reboot that had shown us how S4-8 should've been done, that would be totally different. But not this mess that's made a laughingstock out of my favorite  show and is about everything EXCEPT three sisters who happened to be witches--just like S4-8, which I count as the alternate-universe spin-off that has nothing to do with Charmed except the name. The same is true for this rip-off that they DARED to call Charmed just in order to cash in on its name and fame and try to cash in on "MeToo". Now that you don't see that much about MeToo, they don't care about the series, so why should we?

It's better if it just goes away and is forgotten, so when fans talk about "Charmed", they mean Classic Charmed only.

I'm glad I've never wasted a second on this mess and that I've never called it "Charmed" since it does not deserve to have that name. To me, it will always be the rip-off since if it wasn't called "Charmed" it wouldn't have lasted a half-season.

Now for those of you who truly enjoyed the show and didn't just watch it because they named it Charmed, my sympathies.  For your sake I hope I'm wrong and the new showrunners will do a good job fixing it.  But without the promo, it will be just like Classic Charmed 5-8 - cheaper sets; cheaper special effects, trying to use sex to sell the show, ending with a show that goes through show rot -a show that goes long beyond its time.

I know I kept watching Classic Charmed in hopes I'd get to see the characters I loved in S1-3 and only did when I saw my Phoebs in "Show Ghouls".  I hope rip-off fans won't have to go through that with their show.

“On the way out”?

Hasn’t it already got a second season?  

I always love it when people who haven’t watched a show are so wonderfully adamant about how it’s clearly not a patch on the original. 

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

“On the way out”?

Hasn’t it already got a second season?  

I always love it when people who haven’t watched a show are so wonderfully adamant about how it’s clearly not a patch on the original. 

Yes, it has a second season - but it's on Friday, the day shows go to die.  It won't get a third.

4 hours ago, Esmeralda said:

Yes, it has a second season - but it's on Friday, the day shows go to die.  It won't get a third.

With how many shows on The CW are ending next year, Charmed is likely to get a couple of more seasons out of it. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Esmeralda said:

If memory serves correctly, TheCW hasn't cancelled a show that's gotten a 2nd season since The Carrie Diaries. 4 seasons is practically guaranteed at this point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Interview with the showrunners about Episode 19.

https://newslagoon.com/en/entertainment/charmed-eps-break-down-that-ominous-finale-ending-tease-what-and-who-to-expect-in-season-3/57015/

Apparently, Episode 19 was the end of Act 2 where all the questions have been answered.  Act 3 (Ep 20-22) is/was going to be to "resolve everything".

Without revealing too much, we loved how we ended the season, so we decided to shoot those three episodes and give that season its own conclusion, and then maybe we could jump forward in time and develop new stories. That’s our intention. That said, you get into a writers’ room with 12 really engaging people and you start to converse 

LOL, 12 really engaging people who can't put together a coherent story?

On 10/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, Avabelle said:

I desperately wish the reboot was better just so the original stars would STFU. In general their petty negativity is exhausting. I wish Sarah, Madeleine et al wouldn’t engage or get drawn into the pettiness though.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/holly-marie-combs-charmed-sarah-jeffery-reboot-criticism-response.amp

TBH - I think the reboot IS better than the OG show.  Season 2 was awesome to me - I loved the darker tone and the higher stakes.  There are some S1 elements I hope they bring back, but I hope they keep the more adult tone and higher stakes.  The mythology and world-building is superior to me over the OG show.

But I would like the OG stars to STFU - and I don't blame Sarah for responding the way she did after sitting quietly through years of OG actress abuse on their show.

Honestly - it was the OG actress antics which kept me off the show for a while until I finally decided to see for myself and I'm so glad I did.  I haven't been as obsessed with a show since OG Roswell and anyone who knows me knows I LOVED that show like a first love, lol.

• Love 2

‘Walker,’ ‘Flash,’ ‘Riverdale’ Among 12 CW Shows to Score Early Renewals

The other shows are: “All American” (renewed for Season 4), “Batwoman” (renewed for Season 3), “Charmed” (Season 4), “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” (Season 7), “Dynasty” (Season 5) “The Flash” (Season 8), “In The Dark” (Season 4), “Legacies” (Season 4), “Nancy Drew” (Season 3), “Riverdale” (Season 6), and “Roswell, New Mexico” (Season 4).