Type keyword(s) to search

Magic Word: Charmed in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

I kind of like... the idea. 

But the acting seems absolutely atrocious. I mean, Charmed isn't exactly known for Oscar worthy performances but at least the leading three were adequate enough to carry the show. And I would guess the original wouldn't have lasted as long as it did without its leading cast. 

I can practically see their eyes passing over the script as they're reading the lines in that trailer. Lmao. 

But the story/idea has a lot of potential. How they've tried to interweave the original pilot premise of their dead mother with the long lost sister angle made me laugh. 

SO THERE YOU GO THEY MANAGED IT! The original Charmed also had a LOT of major missed opportunities with its premise, so, what do you know, it truly is Charmed. :/

Edited by Lost
On 17/05/2018 at 12:19 AM, Lady Calypso said:

It's why I don't consider this a Charmed reboot. In reality, this could be any generic witch show. New characters, new powers, likely not in San Francisco like the original, and likely zero connection to the original at all which means a new universe, so it's not a reboot. It's not the best idea to have it named Charmed when we all know it's likely not connected to the original besides by name and some of the canon supernaturals. 

No connection means it IS a reboot. A totally new show, as though the first didn't exist, simply doing a brand new take on the premise of Charmed. 

A connection to the original would be a revival or a sequel. 

• Love 2

On the powers, I like that they are using them differently. If we had the girl freezing time doing "Piper hands" it would be even worse and everyone would only criticise it for that. 

However, giving one of them the power to hear thoughts is going to be a real pain if this show manages to last any length of time because those voice overs will get annoying fast. Even Charmed only used that idea for a one episode plot. 

The new version has another show runner called "Brad".

Why are all of the new show's similarities to the original always the bad things? Lmao. 

Just looked at the guy's twitter. 

He's really not doing himself or his show any favours by basically baiting Holly on twitter. God, he's an asshole. 

• Love 1

I'm not worrying about the acting until I see the pilot. More than once I've looked up a trailer for a show I love to send to a friend, only to hesitate when it made the acting look bad and the jokes look unfunny. The CW is especially notorious for releasing misleading trailers with weird choppy dialogue.

• Love 3

Charmed had problems bts later on but it doesn't negate that it was feminist. At least in the first 4 seasons. They didn't rely on men, Prue Piper were at the top of their fields. They saved the men. Etc.

Holly/Alyssa also took more control when they became producers so Kern being a jerk doesnt strip them of their hard work.

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Honestly, Holly is not doing herself a favor either. She comes off petty as fuck. Just a few months ago when the reboot was announced, she attacked the writer of the Roswell reboot, because she was defending the idea of a reboot and Holly thought she was working on the Charmed one and was unnecessary rude to her, even though the writer of "Roswell, New Mexico" was incredibly respectful. This along with her comments about Alyssa a few years back when she was promoting her travel show with Shannen, made me utterly dislike her, even though I always thought that she seemed to be the most reasonable one in the cast, when Charmed was still on. 

5b03cb9da547b_ScreenShot2018-05-22at09_48_54.png.8626ace28dea0ffe9c0fe3e8a7881de7.png

5b03cbb3498d1_ScreenShot2018-05-22at09_49_18.png.a9d85070be5e66484c17dcdbf204b8a2.png

Holly did come off a little bit better in this article though :

So, she's pretty much just offended by the promotional description that was published when the reboot was first announced, which I think is ridiculous as well, since obviously a show has to be marketed in one way or the other (and let's be honest, the original Charmed wasn't feminist, it was run by a misogynistic man who harassed female writers and just got fired from his most recent job for it, which IMHO showed in the writing as well:)

To be fair, that woman directly responded to a discussion Holly was having on the Charmed reboot so no surprises Holly gave a snarky reply. 

And her response to Milano was in the same style of the original comment. Milano said working with Combs/Doherty was like being in high school then Combs responded "It was nothing like high school. I went to high school, I know". Milano was kind of asking for a response with a comment like that. 

It is interesting what Milano had to say about Kern, that they didn't actually have much to do with him directly throughout the run of the show, he never actually showed his face much on the sets leading to the actress' having to make producer decisions when he was uncontactable. 

Edited by Lost
21 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Honestly, Holly is not doing herself a favor either. She comes off petty as fuck. Just a few months ago when the reboot was announced, she attacked the writer of the Roswell reboot, because she was defending the idea of a reboot and Holly thought she was working on the Charmed one and was unnecessary rude to her, even though the writer of "Roswell, New Mexico" was incredibly respectful. This along with her comments about Alyssa a few years back when she was promoting her travel show with Shannen, made me utterly dislike her, even though I always thought that she seemed to be the most reasonable one in the cast, when Charmed was still on. 

I have a feeling that none of the original cast were all that nice. When Armin Shimerman (he played the wizard in the "We're Off To See The Wizard" episode) was asked about his experience on the show he said " I hated the ladies on "Bewitched"...um...uh..."Charmed!" "Charmed!" And there's a reason they were cast as witches. I...of all the shows I've ever worked, that was by far the ugliest." I can't even imagine what was going on for a guest star to say that.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Armin Shimerman is supposedly also the nicest guy, he was one of the few people that the Buffy crew invited back to their set for a farewell picture when the show was ending, even though his character had been killed five seasons earlier. So I do believe him if he said something like that. But Charmed was allegedly a toxic workplace in itself, as in the article linked above where they say that female writers were treated very poorly.

I think Shannen has mellowed out a bit though, her comments on the reboot were the most mature ones. 

I don't think the reboot will become a nostalgic classic like the original, because it is a different time now (and since most of the original fans are so against it ), but eh I really do not think that it's a bad thing to do a reboot of the show with women at the helm of it instead of men and with female cast members who hopefully do get along and support each other throughout the run of the show and beyond, as opposed to all the drama between the original Charmed ones. That being said, even though I am not a big fan of the original show (I never even watched the last four seasons), but I have a soft spot for the characters from the early seasons. The sisterly dynamic between Prue, Phoebe and Piper was just so well done in the early years of the show and beautifully portrayed by the actresses (despite backstage drama). I really loved that part about it.

That kind of makes me sad to hear. But I would believe Armin Shimmerman, he's always come across as very genuine. Plus I love the story of how while filming DS9, he ran out still in makeup after an earthquake to check on his family. I would imagine any non-trekkies in his neighborhood were more than a bit confused. 

I'm increasingly annoyed with Holly. It's clear that any version of a Charmed reboot that didn't include her would have pissed her off. If they decided to reboot the original characters as younger, Holly would have been pissed. If they decided to focus it on other witches who live in the Charmed universe as they've seemed to be doing, Holly was going to be pissed. If she wasn't involved, she was going to be pissed. And then Holly is going to tear into Brad Silberling because he, probably correctly, said they the previous cast couldn't get it together for sequels, TV movies, or what have you. I don't know the ins and outs, but these assholes could barely manage a kind word about each other even in interviews and Holly wants us to believe that reunions weren't turned down. She's not that good an actress. Not even close enough to get me to believe it.

Charmed had female main characters, but it was not feminist. Not even close. Holly can take umbrage because she probably tried her best to get it to be less jigglicious, but it did not get anywhere near the feminist ball park. It wasn't even in the stadium parking lot. If the feminist ball park was Comiskey Park they were at they were at the Saints Superdome. And I've watched all of Charmed. I've also watched all of Buffy. This isn't to say that Joss doesn't have his problems; he does. I watch a lot of TV with feminist bona fides (Handmaid's Tale, Insecure, UnReal before it shit the bed after season 1, Crazy Ex, GLOW, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and many others) and old Charmed ain't cutting it. Especially when Brad Kern is getting pulled from NCIS for being a harassing misogynist, it's hard to believe that he didn't infect Charmed. A rebooted Charmed has the opportunity to rectify that.

The original Charmed was atrocious in its inclusion of characters of color. I'm appalled that a show set in San Francisco probably had no more than a dozen episodes with Asian characters with speaking parts. Any opportunity to rectify that is a godsend.

Finally, the show had some of the sloppiest world building this side of Teen Wolf and the Vampire Diaries. It might be fun to see what someone might do with some thoughtful world building.

If the reviews of the reboot are good, I'll watch it. If they're middling, I'll watch and see how the rest goes. If they are terrible, I'll watch and laugh. But I'm not going to wish, like Holly, that a bunch of actresses of color are unsuccessful because she's feeling like a butthurt sour asshole.

• Love 14

Have you watched 90s tv in general? 99% were atrocious in its inclusion of characters of color. Charmed had more POC on its show then Buffy did. S1-4 Prue/Piper/Phoebe/Paige did not rely on men to save the say, they saved them, they were successful, independent and helped other women be strong. That's pretty damn feminist. The show was also created by a woman who was very involved in the show for the first 2 seasons and even in the 3rd season.

Yeah Holly probably would've been pissed no matter the outcome of Charmed being rebooted so early after its cancellation but people from the new show have also tried to put her and the cast down so I can't blame her for going against them. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Clearly I have. I watched Buffy when it aired. I was in college. And it's inaccurate to act like all TV in the 90s was bad at including characters of color. Soaps and procedurals were good at it; other shows less so. However, the 90s gave us the Fresh Prince, In Living Color, Living Single, as well as 2 Star Trek shows with integrated casts. We had the much more feminist Golden Girls, Living Single, and Xena Warrior Princess. 

As to the show in totality being feminist...Haha. No. And I think the thing that bothers me the most about the original cast's opposition to the reboot is that the original show is so tainted in so many ways in terms of its feminism: the female creator was pushed out, the two actresses who were producers didn't get extra pay, the male showrunner would be awol but still had final say, the male showrunner insisted on skimpier costumes, and the male showrunner insisting on seasonal narratives that completely revolved around love interests. The show's feminist ideals were never super strong in seasons 1-4; they were a mess in seasons 5-8.

https://www.themarysue.com/charmed-feminist-show/

I guess this is how fans of the original Battlestar must feel. They loved the flawed original, but the reboot goes on to be regarded as one of the best TV shows of all time. It wins a Peabody award and is thought of as one of the best ruminations on the War on Terror.

I can't think of a single thing that I care about that I can't imagine it couldn't be done better, even on professional projects that I've worked on. Charmed? Could definitely be done better. Buffy? Could be done better. The Wire? Could be done better. Game of Thrones? Could Absolutely be done better.

There's the quote from Midnight in Paris "Nostalgia is denial. Denial of the painful present. The name for this denial is Golden Age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one ones living in - its a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present."

Charmed was made in a time when Harvey Weinstein could rape Rose with impunity, when Brad Kern could demand that the leads appear less and less clothed and there wasn't shit the actresses could do about it, and when the actresses could be producers and they got more work, no extra pay, and had their decisions overridden by Kern. I would much rather watch a Charmed where none of these were factors, where they cast actors of color, where entire season arcs don't revolve around a love interest, and where the characters get to be empowered for more than a single episode and don't have to ride naked on a horse to get a story they want as a tradeoff.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6

Star Trek TNG had 1 black person on it, DS9 was the most diverse with a black lead and 3 other black characters, Voyager had 1 minority part of the cast. Xena had zero minorities that were part of the cast or even major reoccurring characters. And what made Xena more feminist than early Charmed? It had skimpy outfits, Xena in various relationships with males. and does that make Buffy a non feminist show since characters cared about dating and had Joss at the helm? How many of the big shows that we still know today had a well mixture of cast members?

And the Harvey Weinstein era just came to an end so what about all the female shows that have come out before this year? Charmed isn't a special show with female leads that were treated second rate by the powers that be.

• Love 1

TNG had two black main cast members, not one.

In general, I'd to say the original Charmed wasn't feminist per se, but it was in keeping with the pop cultural girl power "feminism" of its day. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2018 at 3:12 PM, paulvdb said:

Voyager had a black Vulcan, an Asian and a Native American character.

That is very true, I dont know how I managed to forget them.

-None of them have seen the original show but watched the pilot.

-They respect the original but are putting a new spin on the show and making it more current.

-Describe their characters. Mel(the OG eldest now bumped down to middle sister due to a new sister showing up) is very into being a witch. Maggie is very reserved about being a witch and is the comic relief.

-Give the show a chance, if you don't like it thats fine but don't stress about the show being rebooted. The original show is still intact.

• Love 1

I'm really having trouble getting past the "amazon sister with her two teeny sisters" look of the trio, on visuals alone, this was really badly miscast.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm really having trouble getting past the "amazon sister with her two teeny sisters" look of the trio, on visuals alone, this was really badly miscast.

She does tower over those two.. But hey man genetics right...  She musta been the best  for the job

• Love 1

It seems like the reboot will not be airing its premiere on the 20th anniversary of the original, but a week later:

Charmed - Season 1 - Oct 14, 2018

Which, if they stick with this, then it's probably a good thing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Hopefully the OG cast is able to do something to celebrate before the new one comes along a week later.

Hopefully the vitriol being sent the way of the new show will have died down some... And maybe even an OG cast member showing the new show some love.. Because over the last week I've seen more stories about the divide between old and new and the cast members keep having to talk about it.. And that's never a good thing

• Love 2
On 23/05/2018 at 11:40 PM, HunterHunted said:

I'm increasingly annoyed with Holly. It's clear that any version of a Charmed reboot that didn't include her would have pissed her off. If they decided to reboot the original characters as younger, Holly would have been pissed. If they decided to focus it on other witches who live in the Charmed universe as they've seemed to be doing, Holly was going to be pissed. If she wasn't involved, she was going to be pissed. And then Holly is going to tear into Brad Silberling because he, probably correctly, said they the previous cast couldn't get it together for sequels, TV movies, or what have you. I don't know the ins and outs, but these assholes could barely manage a kind word about each other even in interviews and Holly wants us to believe that reunions weren't turned down. She's not that good an actress. Not even close enough to get me to believe it.

Charmed had female main characters, but it was not feminist. Not even close. Holly can take umbrage because she probably tried her best to get it to be less jigglicious, but it did not get anywhere near the feminist ball park. It wasn't even in the stadium parking lot. If the feminist ball park was Comiskey Park they were at they were at the Saints Superdome. And I've watched all of Charmed. I've also watched all of Buffy. This isn't to say that Joss doesn't have his problems; he does. I watch a lot of TV with feminist bona fides (Handmaid's Tale, Insecure, UnReal before it shit the bed after season 1, Crazy Ex, GLOW, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and many others) and old Charmed ain't cutting it. Especially when Brad Kern is getting pulled from NCIS for being a harassing misogynist, it's hard to believe that he didn't infect Charmed. A rebooted Charmed has the opportunity to rectify that.

The original Charmed was atrocious in its inclusion of characters of color. I'm appalled that a show set in San Francisco probably had no more than a dozen episodes with Asian characters with speaking parts. Any opportunity to rectify that is a godsend.

Finally, the show had some of the sloppiest world building this side of Teen Wolf and the Vampire Diaries. It might be fun to see what someone might do with some thoughtful world building.

If the reviews of the reboot are good, I'll watch it. If they're middling, I'll watch and see how the rest goes. If they are terrible, I'll watch and laugh. But I'm not going to wish, like Holly, that a bunch of actresses of color are unsuccessful because she's feeling like a butthurt sour asshole.

Except she hasn't wished that they're unsuccessful. In every reply she's told them she wishes them well and hopes it works out for them. 

Her issue isn't with the new cast, but the production decision to reboot the show with younger actresses instead of even trying to continue the original series. 

Now back in 2013/2014 it may have been a possibility as Holly/Shannen/Brian were doing the circuits, Shannen and Alyssa had long since made up, nowadays it's less likely with all the new fallouts between them all and Shannen's health problems. But I don't believe for a second they've been offered anything to turn down since Charmed ended 12 years ago. And it is kind of a slap in the face to say that 40+ year old women wouldn't be able to carry a show. 

But, judging from the trailer, they want to use the premise for a teen-like show so it's probably for the best they didn't attempt to continue the original in that vein since it would be just more bad seasons to add onto the last 3 of the original run. 

• Love 1

Charmed made it to SDCC

"The original was so much about female empowerment and sisterhood and strong women taking over the world and I feel like that’s what we need right now," Urman says of why she wanted to revive the fan favorite. "It felt like a good time to get back to that and show women kicking ass."

But they know bringing back a classic series can make fans of the original wary of ruining the legacy. That's why stars of the reboot are quick to promise that they aren't here to mess with history.

"Charmed is so iconic," Jeffery says. "They laid the groundwork and we want to be respectful of that and the mythology of everything. We want to honor it while bringing a modern twist. Come join us!"

Adds Mantock, "We come in peace. The original was so wonderful and they were trailblazers and we could not be here without them. There is something in here for everyone, little treats for [original fans]."

And while the revival isn't a continuation of the original, Urman promises that they're "referencing all that came before."

"We're so grateful because we love the original and we're huge fans," she adds. "That's why we wanted to do this. It's rooted in the original, deeply rooted in the original."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/charmed-reboot-will-honor-original-comic-con-2018-1127832

• Love 1
(edited)

As a huge fan of the original and a constant on the TWoP Charmed boards, I've been pretty much staying away from the drama going on about the new show. However, I cam across this fan reaction video that intelligently sums up mine and probably a lot of other fans' feelings:
https://youtu.be/zvIO40n_QFw

I have no delusions about the quality of the original. Sometimes it could be crap, but it still holds a place in my heart. I will most likely give this new one a pass.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 1

Obligatory caveat that no the OG was not exactly a masterpiece, blah blah, read the old TWOP recaps if you want to get a laugh about how much it was not. 

That out of the way, geee it's interesting that now they're talking about the legacy and honoring the original there are little nods everywhere and how they're such fans when pretty much all the previous articles are like "It's it's own thing! Fresh take! Not focusing so much on the original!" Methinks the CW suits are scared about all the backlash and the negative reaction to the trailer and are trying to soothe ruffled feathers lest they lose sweet sweet advertising dollars. A successful reboot brings along fans of the original who bring pre-existing passion and excitement while also grabbing new eyes. Right now they've pissed off the former and gotten hints of a potential MEH or worse a LOLno from the latter. Also Madeleine Mantock needs to STFU with that "we come in peace" line like three interviews ago. It's hella condescending. 

Also REALLY the #MeToo Movement, and the sexually harassing predator professor, and a Trump reference in episode 1. I'm a pretty damn hippy dippy liberal and just reading that makes me exhausted and bored. And given Rose McGowan's role in Harvey Weinstein's downfall it also feels vaguely gross and exploitative to me. YMMV,  

• Love 5
(edited)

I laugh how they've gone from "Never seen the original. Nope. Don't know" to "Oh we are HUGE fans of the original!"

then in their TV Line interview they get asked what magical creatures they would like to make an appearance in the show after the original had Wendigos and Mermaids and their faces look confused as ****. Lmao. 

I'd also like to comment on the "feminist" debate.

The original show had a lot of problems and a lot of moments that were very feminist and a lot of moments that undeniably would set feminism back. But the one thing that keeps being brought up to illustrate it's lack of feminism is "boobalicious" and similar comments. Skin, boobs and skimpy clothing doesn't negate it from being feminist. Suggesting such a thing is not very feminist in itself. The show's writing and treatment of female characters is rather anti-feminist in the later seasons, but Phoebe wearing what she wants to wear regardless of how revealing is not anti-feminist. And, in the real world, Milano has spoken many times that she was only too happy to wear those clothes and loved them. Holly didn't, so she didn't. A fairly even and feminist attitude. 

Edited by Lost
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

So all 3 sisters have different fathers. So they can explore all aspects of witchcraft.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/08/06/charmed-cast-and-producers-changes-holly-marie-combs-backlash/916844002/

I'm excited about it.. When they were first cast I had hoped that the show would explore more than just euro-centric witchcraft.. Other cultures and races have different interpretations and practices.. I didn't expect all 3 to have diff pops.. I expected that Madeline Mantock's dad would be different as she's the one you csn easily see has African roots... I assumed they'd make melonie and Sarah full siblings ( even tho their respective racial make ups are diff)...  But I'm good with this.. If I had to guess Madeline's character will draw from some mash up of voodoo... West African mysticism... Maybe even some santeria... Meloni's character maybe from the indigenous peoples of central America.. Native American mystics...  Sarah is a bit harder to suss out cuz not sure what kind of dad they plan to give her.. I believe like Madeline she's blk/white... But she's so light skin and the mom is played by a Latina woman so they may give her a white dad( if so I guess the witchcraft like in the previous show)...  Or they could make her dad a Latino man and then I guess it would be like a bruja.. Either way interesting and I'm really excited to jump in

• Love 2

The more I hear the more I think this has midseason cancellation written all over it. 

Although, the attention and promotion it's been getting due to fans of the original and the backlash (which is clearly the purpose of doing a reboot and not an original show, a built in promo/audience) might be enough to pull it through a first season and get it to a second. 

On 5/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, nosleepforme said:

5b03cb9da547b_ScreenShot2018-05-22at09_48_54.png.8626ace28dea0ffe9c0fe3e8a7881de7.png

5b03cbb3498d1_ScreenShot2018-05-22at09_49_18.png.a9d85070be5e66484c17dcdbf204b8a2.png

On 5/24/2018 at 1:40 AM, HunterHunted said:

I discovered that I genuinely despise HMC. Was she always this obnoxious? Maybe if she, Alyssa Milano and that other lunatic B***, Rose Mcgowan didn't spend 5 seasons delivering their lines in a whiney, sarcastic and eye rolling way, they would have been considered for an appearance on the new Charmed. They spent YEARS bitching about the show and now they're butthurt that they aren't cast in a new one? Does HMC even want to be charmed? Or does she just like bitching for the sake of bitching? What a turn off.

People can say whatever they want about Shannen Doherty but no one can deny her screen presence, professionalism and impressive acting. It's not a coincidence that every show she ended up leaving went downhill after she left. At least she grew up and has become respectful towards everyone. Even to the show that fired her in favor of another actress who did nothing but parade around in little to nothing. I hope Shannen ends up making an appearance on the new show as a mentor or something, kinda like Penny Halliwell. 

Edited by The Raw Category
  • Love 2

@nosleepforme I was surprised and happy to see Heather B. as a host in that Shannen & Holly interview you posted. It's sad too see HMC's reaction to all of this. Now we know why she was able to play the scenes where Piper would act like a whiny bitchy brat so well. I was a fan of her's going back to Picket Fences. 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2018 at 9:26 PM, wiccawonder said:

So apparently Holly Marie Combs is joining Riverdale? It isn't confirmed yet but this website just did a write up about it: https://www.pedestrian.tv/pez/riverdale-jughead-mother/

I'm don't think that the CW would ever let this happen because she cannot and will not stop trashing one of their other shows. Additionally, both shows film in Vancouver so there's no way they'd want to upset the cast and crew of Charmed (2018) with the shrill cow who cannot stop complaining about their show by allowing HMC to be on the soundstage next to them.

HMC has been a sour obnoxious peevish snot for this entire Charmed 2018 discussion. Alyssa and Shannen have been fairly diplomatic about it--Alyssa because she works a fair amount and is married to an agent who works for CAA and Shannen because she's been through this sort of thing twice (90210 revival and Heathers reboot). Much like a lot of people here, I can only conclude that Holly was not much of an actress on Charmed because she's as ill tempered and peevish as Piper ever was.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm don't think that the CW would ever let this happen because she cannot and will not stop trashing one of their other shows. Additionally, both shows film in Vancouver so there's no way they'd want to upset the cast and crew of Charmed (2018) with the shrill cow who cannot stop complaining about their show by allowing HMC to be on the soundstage next to them.

HMC has been a sour obnoxious peevish snot for this entire Charmed 2018 discussion. Alyssa and Shannen have been fairly diplomatic about it--Alyssa because she works a fair amount and is married to an agent who works for CAA and Shannen because she's been through this sort of thing twice (90210 revival and Heathers reboot). Much like a lot of people here, I can only conclude that Holly was not much of an actress on Charmed because she's as ill tempered and peevish as Piper ever was.

Piper wasn't always like this though. She became obnoxious around season 6. It's really shocking how HMC is in real life. I always thought she was the most neutral one out of the three. I'm kinda annoyed that the actress turned out to be so shit in real life. 

• Love 3

Dammit. Piper was always my favorite, but my long-running crush on HMC is fading fast.

I am ridiculously excited for Sunday night's premier. I'm a sucker for this kind of show anyway, and yea, I have a lot of very positive associations with the OG Charmed. It was like my security blanket during rough times; if I felt sad, I could just watch Charmed and feel better. But it's aged, and there's whole seasons I prefer to skip. So it's not perfect, and I'm crazy excited to see what someone with fresh eyes can do. 

• Love 1

The CW’s ‘All American’, ‘Charmed’ & ‘Legacies’ Get Backup Script Orders Ahead Of Premieres

The CW is giving a major vote of confidence to its fall 2018 freshman class, handing additional script orders to all three of its new series on the eve of their debuts. Berlanti Productions’ All American and Jennie Snyder Urman’s Charmed reboot have been picked up for five additional scripts, while Julie Plec’s the Vampire Diaries./The Originals universe follow-up Legacies is getting three additional scripts.

• Love 1

It's worth remembering though that script orders are not episode orders.  When a show is airing, script orders typically hints at cancellation (because why wouldn't you just order more episodes instead).  The speculation I've seen about this (since it's before the season has started) is the producers don't think they'd have time to generate new scripts in time to complete production if they began when more episodes were ordered.   Which is not a big deal.  

• Love 1

It means that the writers can continue to work on more scripts when they finish writing the scripts for the 13(?) episodes that were initially ordered. It gives the CW more time to decide if they want to give Charmed additional episodes. It's up to the showrunner(s) to decide what kind of episodes they want. They could be filler episodes, but if they planned a longer story arc they'd write episodes that continue that arc.