Type keyword(s) to search

Magic Word: Charmed in the Media

• Start Topic

122ynma.jpg

When Melanie “Mel” Vera and her sister Maggie lose their mother in a horrifying accident it shatters their world and threatens their sibling bond. Then they get another huge shock: they have an older sister, brilliant geneticist Macy, whom their mother kept a secret all these years. With the emotions of the newly-reunited sisters running high, each of the girls suddenly exhibit impossible new abilities. But don’t worry, there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation to all of it…or so says Harry Greenwood when he gathers the three sisters together to reveal they’re actually powerful witches, as was their mother. It’s a lot to take in for the sisters, but they ultimately accept their new destiny as The Charmed Ones, and their new duty to protect humankind from the demons that walk among us. 

CHARACTERS
• Mel (Melonie Diaz) is passionate, outspoken activist who loses her way in the wake of family tragedy. A lesbian.
• Madison (Sarah Jeffery) is a bubbly college freshman who finds witchcraft at odds with her goal of getting into a super-fun sorority
• Macy (Madeleine Mantock) is a practical, driven, and brilliant geneticist who has her world blown open when she discovers that the supernatural world is all too real.
• Galvin (Ser'Darius Blain) is the ideal boyfriend, funny, mellow, in touch with his emotions, totally on board to follow Macy across the country for her dream job. An aspiring filmmaker who has yet to catch the break he’s sure is just around the corner.
• Brian (Charles Gillespie) is Madison’s high school boyfriend who still carries a torch for her.
• Nico Hamada (Ellen Tamaki) is a detective on the Hilltowne police force whose romantic relationship with Mel complicates her investigation.
• Harry Greenwood (Rupert Evans) is a professor, handsome, grandiose, a raconteur with an infuriating charm and a mysterious interest in the three sisters. He’s their Whitelighter: a guardian angel who protects and guides witches to protect and nurture them for their intended destiny. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/05/charmed-in-dark-key-art-synopsis.html

• Love 1

The original Charmed is still in my top three favourite shows, and will likely remain there forever due to pure nostalgia (I'm even planning to get a Charmed-theme tattoo this summer). This show didn't need a reboot, as it's just going to turn out to be another show about witches, rather than capturing what Charmed was like and how it really was important back in the late 90s to mid 2000s. I think a revival could have worked way better for this type of show. 

However, yeah, Jennie Snyder-Urman has done such a fabulous job on Jane the Virgin that I have trust with her and that's why I'm giving the show a true chance. It could very well surprise me.

Also, at least this reboot isn't the horrible prequel idea that they had. 

• Love 2

Unfortunately, that just seems to be how it goes nowadays. "Show about Latina witches" won't sell, but "Charmed reboot" will, just like "Twin Peaks meets Dawson's Creek" won't sell, but "beloved Archie comics characters with problems!" will. I'm expecting this to be its own thing, just like Riverdale is, so I won't be disappointed if it's not like the original Charmed.

• Love 3

I think a big thing is that the OG show isnt even THAT old. It ended 12 years ago so already rebooting it is weird by tv standards. 

I will totally give this a chance but it is just to weird to me that they took away the power of premonition in this version when it was such a big power that lead them on their path each week and instead everything is getting quickly revealed in the pilot.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think a big thing is that the OG show isnt even THAT old. It ended 12 years ago so already rebooting it is weird by tv standards. 

I will totally give this a chance but it is just to weird to me that they took away the power of premonition in this version when it was such a big power that lead them on their path each week and instead everything is getting quickly revealed in the pilot.

It's why I don't consider this a Charmed reboot. In reality, this could be any generic witch show. New characters, new powers, likely not in San Francisco like the original, and likely zero connection to the original at all which means a new universe, so it's not a reboot. It's not the best idea to have it named Charmed when we all know it's likely not connected to the original besides by name and some of the canon supernaturals. 

• Love 1

The CW Network Announces New Six-Night Primetime Schedule for 2018-19

9:00-10:00 PM CHARMED (@CW_Charmed #Charmed)

"Stronger together." That's what Marisol tells her daughters, firebrand social justice warrior Melanie "Mel" Vera, and her sister, fun-loving Maggie, about their family. Mel is a graduate student in the women's studies department her mother heads at Hilltowne University; Maggie is a freshman considering rushing a sorority (to Mel's amused dismay) and going "on" again with her on-again off-again boyfriend Brian. But then, a shocking tragedy shatters their world and threatens their sibling bond: Marisol dies in a horrifying accident. Or was it? Three months later, we find Mel unable to accept the official explanation of their mother's death, while Maggie accuses her of being morbidly obsessed. And then, another huge shock shows up at their front door: they have an older sister, brilliant geneticist Macy, whom their mother kept a secret all these years! Macy is new in town and doesn't know a soul (except for Galvin, the cute fellow scientist who's been showing her around). Macy is eager to connect with Mel and Maggie, but Mel can't handle another shock, and shuts her out. With the emotions of all three sisters running high, each of the girls suddenly exhibit impossible new abilities: Mel can freeze time, Maggie starts hearing others' thoughts, and Macy has telekinetic powers. But don't worry, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation... or so says Harry Greenwood (who as far as they know is the officious new chair of the women's studies department), when he gathers the three sisters together to reveal they're actually powerful witches, as was their mother. And he's not really a professor, he's their "Whitelighter," a witch's advisor and guide! Not only that, but Mel was right: their mother's death was no accident - she was murdered by unknown dark forces. It's a lot to take in, but ultimately the sisters accept their new destiny as The Charmed Ones... and their new duty to protect humankind from the demons that walk among us... one of whom killed their mother. With the Power of Three, they are stronger together... even if they have no idea what they're really up against. Starring Melonie Diaz, Sarah Jeffery, Madeleine Mantock, Rupert Evans, Ser'Darius Blaine, Charlie Gillespie, and Ellen Tamaki . Based on the original series, CHARMED is from CBS Television Studios in association with Propagate Content, with executive producers Jessica O'Toole ("Jane The Virgin"), Amy Rardin ("Jane The Virgin"), Jennie Snyder Urman ("Jane The Virgin"), Ben Silverman ("The Office"), Brad Silberling ("Jane The Virgin") and Carter Covington ("Faking It").

I'm willing to give this a chance since Brad Kern has no hand in it. The original Charmed changed and not for the better after he got more control. 

• Love 4

Charmed looks ok but I hate that we are getting a whitelighter right off the bat to teach them everything. They don't get to discover they are witches on their own? No one reads a spell releasing their powers? And "piper" doesnt have to use her hands to freeze time?!?

• Love 1
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

Charmed looks ok but I hate that we are getting a whitelighter right off the bat to teach them everything. They don't get to discover they are witches on their own? No one reads a spell releasing their powers? And "piper" doesnt have to use her hands to freeze time?!?

I've resigned myself to the fact that this is not a true Charmed reboot, but a show about sister witches with powers and only a few Charmed-lore carrying over (whitelighters, Book of Shadows, and Power of Three). Other than that? There aren't really any similarities past that. They've already changed one power, and altered the use of a second power. 

If I compare it to the original and take it as a reboot, the trailer looks like crap.

If I separate it from the original, the trailer's just another typical CW female-led show at the moment. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm willing to give this a chance since Brad Kern has no hand in it. The original Charmed changed and not for the better after he got more control. 

I looked up in Wiki & oh that’s the guy in the news.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

The Book of Shadows definitely looks modern. Not to bad but looks like it has no history to it.

EXACTLY!

The appeal of the original Book of Shadows is that it's been passed down from generation to generation for centuries. It has the old look to the book because it IS old. The new book doesn't look bad, but it also looks like it was just created in the past decade....or year. 

Now, unless they explain that the book has been magicked to look modern, then it's just another piss poor rendition of the original show.

I'm going to be grumbling about this for a long time.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

That trailer for the pilot didn't impress me much. I don't know what I was expecting exactly. It wasn't that though.

It definitely doesn't feel like Charmed. Part of the appeal to the start of that show was not just the three sisters, but them discovering their witchcraft and having to navigate through that process by themselves. Sure, Leo was still somewhat around for the first season, but his purpose wasn't told to the audience until several episodes in AND he was more of a background character for much of season 1. Here, they already have their whitelighter hand-giving them all the information, so that takes away the appeal of the sisters working through it together. They already have an ally on their side.

• Love 3

Trailer wasn't half bad... I already knew I was gonna give  this show a shot and nothing I saw dissauaded me... And if I'm being real honest... The overwhelming volume of ppl seemingly not just wanting to protect the legacy of a cherished show... But who want to see this one fail... Is rubbing me the wrong way... And the racial and somehow political undertones are hard for me to ignore... Apparently mentioning the word feminist is enough to just make some ppl go into a rage... And I've outright read that this show is of course some kind of "PC sjw man hating" agenda that elites in  Hollywood are forcing you to watch... Because if course more than one or two minorities mean a show is pandering... Smh

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Trailer wasn't half bad... I already knew I was gonna give  this show a shot and nothing I saw dissauaded me... And if I'm being real honest... The overwhelming volume of ppl seemingly not just wanting to protect the legacy of a cherished show... But who want to see this one fail... Is rubbing me the wrong way... And the racial and somehow political undertones are hard for me to ignore... Apparently mentioning the word feminist is enough to just make some ppl go into a rage... And I've outright read that this show is of course some kind of "PC sjw man hating" agenda that elites in  Hollywood are forcing you to watch... Because if course more than one or two minorities mean a show is pandering... Smh

I can't speak for others, but this show could have done well standing on its own, instead of riding the tails of a nostalgic show like Charmed, a show that was never extremely popular, but one that had a loyal enough fanbase. This show, on its own, could very well work. This show feels very CW'esque...the issue is that it doesn't feel very Charmed-esque. That's what, I think, a lot of people were hoping for. And yeah, sure, certain expectations are held with the revival of the show, whether in reboot form or not. The prequel idea they had could have never worked with the idea that they had. This idea, though marginally better, is something that didn't need to be called Charmed and have the Charmed lore behind it. And for that reason, it's why it might fail. I say might because it could do well. 

I mean, there's no doubt that I'm going to give the show a try past the pilot. I just have begun getting it into my head that this is not Charmed but a witch show, and if I do that, then it might help. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I can't speak for others, but this show could have done well standing on its own, instead of riding the tails of a nostalgic show like Charmed, a show that was never extremely popular, but one that had a loyal enough fanbase. This show, on its own, could very well work. This show feels very CW'esque...the issue is that it doesn't feel very Charmed-esque. That's what, I think, a lot of people were hoping for. And yeah, sure, certain expectations are held with the revival of the show, whether in reboot form or not. The prequel idea they had could have never worked with the idea that they had. This idea, though marginally better, is something that didn't need to be called Charmed and have the Charmed lore behind it. And for that reason, it's why it might fail. I say might because it could do well. 

I mean, there's no doubt that I'm going to give the show a try past the pilot. I just have begun getting it into my head that this is not Charmed but a witch show, and if I do that, then it might help. 

I can understand that if it fails because its not good enough.. That's one thing.. But the opposition has been there from jump... And I guess in an age of fanfic and headcannons.. The fact that its not about the original sisters kids ( which I think was shot down as it got so close to supernatural territory)  or some other thing ppl have made up in their minds ( whether feasible or not)  had ppl incensed.. And once the cast was announced and ppl saw who was being put out there as this new trio of  witches the intensity and vitriol increased and its hard for me not to make the leap that for some(maybe many)  if these women looked like other women this blowback may not have been as bad

• Love 1
Just now, UNOSEZ said:

I can understand that if it fails because its not good enough.. That's one thing.. But the opposition has been there from jump... And I guess in an age of fanfic and headcannons.. The fact that its not about the original sisters kids ( which I think was shot down as it got so close to supernatural territory)  or some other thing ppl have made up in their minds ( whether feasible or not)  had ppl incensed.. And once the cast was announced and ppl saw who was being put out there as this new trio of  witches the intensity and vitriol increased and its hard for me not to make the leap that for some(maybe many)  if these women looked like other women this blowback may not have been as bad

I don't think it has to do with casting. I know a lot of people were excited for Madeleine's casting as the eldest sister due to her popularity on The Tomorrow People. The backlash HAS been there since the conception of a reboot not about the original show, though. They discussed the prequel and yeah, I think people weren't pleased that it had nothing to do with the Halliwells. That's the backlash here. As for the racism and sexist crowd, there's always going to be a small portion to cry out at that. But they're just a small portion; most of the backlash has stemmed from other reasons. It has more to do with the fact that they're taking certain aspects of Charmed, tossing it in a new show, and calling it a reboot. I think I've seen people comment now that this trailer made it look more like a reboot of Witches of East End, rather than Charmed.

The blowback, no matter who was cast, would still be big. The blowback has been there for a year now. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah my issue with the show is that I didn't think the writing was all that great judging from the trailer. I didn't think the leads were that charismatic either but that could be due to the lame dialogue. I liked Madeleine on the tomorrow people and like the youngest sister on that Jennifer Lopez cop show. My opinions are based on why I perceive as bad writing. Not because I'm racist or sexist. I get this tends to be topical but I really hope this isn't going to have to be a disclaimer on every post I put up if I'm criticising something. I haven't seen anything here suggesting racism. The main issue is that they're trying to gain traction on their show by promoting it as a reboot of a previously popular franchise but rather then rebooting they're just using the name for publicity.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think it has to do with casting. I know a lot of people were excited for Madeleine's casting as the eldest sister due to her popularity on The Tomorrow People. The backlash HAS been there since the conception of a reboot not about the original show, though. They discussed the prequel and yeah, I think people weren't pleased that it had nothing to do with the Halliwells. That's the backlash here. As for the racism and sexist crowd, there's always going to be a small portion to cry out at that. But they're just a small portion; most of the backlash has stemmed from other reasons. It has more to do with the fact that they're taking certain aspects of Charmed, tossing it in a new show, and calling it a reboot. I think I've seen people comment now that this trailer made it look more like a reboot of Witches of East End, rather than Charmed.

The blowback, no matter who was cast, would still be big. The blowback has been there for a year now. 

True.. Well I'll support at least initially in hopes that its good... In hopes that it opens up casting opportunities for POC in diff roles then we are used to seeing.. In hopes that a minority -led show can be seen as a good show and not just a minority show.. While also not forgetting that the leads are minorities... I know that seems round about but it is a concern... And finally as the mother is going to be played by a Latina and I guess the daughters will be as well that we get some other types of witchcraft stories and legends more afro-caribbean less euro-centric 

• Love 1

Yeah I don't think the casting is a big part of people being against it. Just from what I've seen the show kind of got off to a bad start, it's been 12 years since the original ended, one of the actresses liked posts dissing the OG cast,  and a big point of this show was that it was going to be "feminist" as if the OG wasn't.

I'll totally be watching and want it to be great but it'll have to prove itself to me.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Yeah my issue with the show is that I didn't think the writing was all that great judging from the trailer. I didn't think the leads were that charismatic either but that could be due to the lame dialogue. I liked Madeleine on the tomorrow people and like the youngest sister on that Jennifer Lopez cop show. My opinions are based on why I perceive as bad writing. Not because I'm racist or sexist. I get this tends to be topical but I really hope this isn't going to have to be a disclaimer on every post I put up if I'm criticising something. I haven't seen anything here suggesting racism. The main issue is that they're trying to their show as a reboot of a previously popular franchise but rather then rebooting they're just using the name for publicity.

Oh.. No not here.. These boards have been a blessing to me compared to some other places I've posted about shows I watch... The back and forth is engaging and almost always polite even when the topics are heated... But this isnt the only place I've read about this new charmed and while here the response has been guarded( which makes sense with a well liked maybe even cult classic show)  other places have been brutal... And the calls for failure the glee some people are showing in their discontent the outrage.. The " how dare they" of it all is worrying...  intended or not 3 WOC got cast in a show with similar roles previously played by 3 talented white ladies.. And a gang of ppl are wishing hoping praying it fails and to have something more like the original replace it without knowing if this iteration is any good... Hard enough to get Hollywood to take a shot with more than one minority in the lead.. Even less when the show doesn't seem to be aimed exclusively at us.. This fails who knows when they'll try again... 

Its not fair and  I doubt most of the naysayers are thinking about it that deep.. But it is the reality 

• Love 1

Well, I'm in. It sounds like it could be a fun show about witches. Is that the same house? I wonder how they explain that since it doesn't seem as though these girls are related to The Halliwells or are they?

6 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Well, I'm in. It sounds like it could be a fun show about witches. Is that the same house? I wonder how they explain that since it doesn't seem as though these girls are related to The Halliwells or are they?

It's definitely not the same house. It has a similar Victorian look, but it's not the same house. 

• Love 1

I watched the whole original Charmed series, one of my favorite shows, is that Cristina from Shades of Blue? I really don't like her lol.

Oh one was from the Tomorrow People? I also didn't like her it that show lol

Notice how their whitelighter says "You are Charmed Ones, the most powerful trio of witches" instead of saying "You are THE Charmed Ones, the most powerful of witches" sounds like there are multiple Charmed Ones in this verse.

15 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's definitely not the same house. It has a similar Victorian look, but it's not the same house. 

Oh, good. I thought that big round window looked familiar.

44 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

It's interesting to go back and watch one of the original shows pilot promos and see the similarities. 

see 

I always hated Shannon Doherty. That scene of her closing the door with her index finger always got me though. Nice memories. 

• Love 1

I’m excited for this. The original was a show that my mother and I always watched together. It was our show. 

Its a shame we live a good 2,000 miles or so apart from each other, now, because I texted the YouTube link of the trailer to her (technology!) and she is looking forward to it as much as I am. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, GaT said:

One thing I hope they did NOT carry forward, "The power of three will set us free!" I always hated that stupid spell.

It's not even a spell! They used it in the pilot to kill Jeremy, but then never really needed to use it much after that, except for when the plot asked for it. I always thought it worked better as a witchy phrase to abide by. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's not even a spell! They used it in the pilot to kill Jeremy, but then never really needed to use it much after that, except for when the plot asked for it. I always thought it worked better as a witchy phrase to abide by. 

I always saw it as more of a family motto than a actual spell. 

Speaking of spells, I noticed in the trailer the one they were reciting seemed to be in Latin. I think I like that better than the rhyming couplets. (Still one of my favorite lines of the original series)

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I JUST realized that by the time Charmed 2018 airs...it'll be the 20th anniversary of the original show premiering. I'm guessing the OGs won't be doing anything special to celebrate. 

I could be wrong but are old cast not all at odds? I thought that they all fell out hence Dohertys mid series departure.

2 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

It's kind of hard to keep track of who hates who.

• Holly and Shannen were close friends at the time Charmed aired and after. They even did a travel show together a few years back. But there are rumors that they had a falling out when Shannen got cancer.

• Rose McGowan recently said in a video interview that she doesn't like Alyssa Milano, because she isn't trust-worthy and because she is married to a guy who allegedly is part of the Hollywood machinery that oppresses/silences women or something.

• When Shannen and Holly had their travel show, they did radio interviews, in which Holly made fun of Alyssa. Alyssa had said in an interview that being on Charmed was like being on high school, because Shannen and Holly were so close. Thus, Holly said "what is she talking about, she never went to highschool."

• Last I know, Shannen and Alyssa made up, when Shannen got diagnosed with cancer.

Given all the drama between the original Charmed ones, the new show is also a new opportunity to have a new show about women that stars women who actually like and support each other.

Between your rundown and the fact she's been the mist vocal about her disdain for the new show... Holly M. Combs isn't really coming off great.. Kinda petty

• Love 3

...and a big point of this show was that it was going to be "feminist" as if the OG wasn't.

"Feminist" isn't the first word that comes to my mind when thinking of the original.  That would be "crap," with "boobalicious" running a close second.

• Love 5

New ‘Charmed’ Cast Responds to Skeptical Fans of Original: ‘We Come in Peace’

“When we were cast, we went to work and shot it. That is our reality, so there’s not too much focus on the original. Of course we respect it, and I’m confident that it will remain intact and can be still enjoyed by everybody who really cherishes it,” Mantock, 28, told Us exclusively on the red carpet. “They’re very different entities. We want to honor what the original Charmed had and did but we’ve very much got our own thing going on.”

“It’s so well loved and such a classic,” Diaz, 34, added.

The CW president Mark Pedowitz is hopeful critics will give the show a fair chance. “Hopefully they would give this new cast a chance. It is not quite the same, yet there are many similarities. Hopefully they’ll give it a shot,” he told reporters on a conference call Thursday morning. “We are happy with who we cast, we think it’s a nice mix. We’re thrilled that Jennie Snyder Urman has reimagined it somewhat and I can only say to fans: Before you make a decision, watch the series.”

As for what the new cast would tell fans of the original who are skeptical, Jeffrey noted that they get it. “We understand that you loved the original, but give us a try. You may like it,” the 22-year-old said.

“We come in peace,” Mantock added

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/new-charmed-cast-responds-to-skeptical-fans-of-original/

The Cast of the New Charmed Is 'Open' to Meeting the Original Stars Amid Backlash to Reboot

“It’s a fresh take,” Charmed star Madeleine Mantock told PEOPLE at The CW’s upfronts presentation in New York City on Thursday. “The main similarities are there are three sisters. There are a few nods to the original in the pilot.”

Though Mel initially isn’t welcoming to her long-lost sister, off-screen Mantock said the leading ladies already feel like family. “We have a really good bond already,” the 28-year-old gushed. “I feel real grateful, and I love working with these two.”

“We want the fans to like it, but at the same time I feel like expectation is not exactly the healthiest,” Ro alum Diaz, 34, said. “We just want to make a good show.”

Shades of Blue actress Jeffery, 22, added, “We definitely respect the foundation that has been made but there are of course new themes. We’re in a totally different time.”

Mantock said that despite the tension, the new cast would be “very welcoming” to input or appearances from the original stars. “We’re open to it,” the Into the Badlands alum said, adding that she hopes longtime fans will introduce the new series to their kids. “I think it could be a cool generational thing to share.”

http://people.com/tv/new-charmed-open-meeting-original-stars/

I've resigned myself to the fact that this is not a true Charmed reboot, but a show about sister witches with powers and only a few Charmed-lore carrying over (whitelighters, Book of Shadows, and Power of Three). Other than that? There aren't really any similarities past that.

It looks pretty rebooty to me. Even the house and the attic look the same. I think the show will live or die on the chemistry between the three sisters. I'm not familiar with any of the actresses (I believe one of them was in the Tomorrow People reboot, but that show only lasted one season and I don't remember her). I'm not overly optimistic based on the horrid Dynasty reboot on the CW - it's like they went out of their way to find the worst possible actors they could find for that show.

• Love 2