Type keyword(s) to search

Fam - General Discussion

• Start Topic

CBS fall TV 2018 schedule

Returning shows “Elementary,” “Instinct,” “Life in Pieces,” “Man with a Plan,” “The Amazing Race” and “Celebrity Big Brother” are on tap for the second half of the season. New dramas “The Code” and “Red Line” (which CBS describes as an “event series”) and comedy “Fam” are also set for midseason.

CBS Announces Winter Scheduling Plans for New and Returning Comedies

CBS will premiere the new comedy FAM on Thursday, Jan. 10 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) after MURPHY BROWN completes its season order. FAM stars Nina Dobrev and Tone Bell in a comedy about a woman whose vision of a perfect life with her adoring fiancé and his wonderful parents is radically altered when her 16-year-old, out-of-control half-sister unexpectedly comes to live with her. As the family Clem (Dobrev) chose and the family she has blend, Clem realizes that this new happy fam may be the perfection she's always been seeking. Odessa Adlon, Brian Stokes Mitchell and Sheryl Lee Ralph also star.

Unfortunately, all the trailers I've seen for this show are horrible.  People spouting one liners at each other, not actually speaking like normal humans.  I have liked Gary Cole since Midnight Caller so I was looking forward to this, but it's not looking good.

• Love 4

I was leery based on the concept and ads, but was hopeful (being a huge Dobrev fan), but honestly, I enjoyed it. It started out a bit rough, but by the half-way mark, I was enjoying it more and more. I bought the relationships and I laughed it, and even had an 'aww!' moment at the end. It worked for me.

• Love 2
On 1/11/2019 at 6:17 PM, SmithW6079 said:

That was Gary Cole?! Wow, he hasn't aged well.

Other than Brian Stokes Mitchell and Sheryl Lee Ralph, everyone else was awful.

Just let those two sit at the piano and sing.

• Love 3

Pilot was awful I thought. Corrupt cops are always lol. Lying to your fiancée about family estrangement, lol. 16 year old runaway/dropout with a drug dealing boyfriend, stop, I’m gonna break a rib. I felt I could see them counting a three beat pause for laughter that never came. Won’t be watching again.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, wendyg said:

I thought ep2 was worse than the pilot. Gary Cole has aged just fine; he's playing scruffy for this. Have a look at him on THE GOOD FIGHT.

I got too good a look at him in Blockers.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

there are good actors in this show.   BUT - the dad is such an asshole, and the little sister is also an asshole, so it's hard to watch.  

And this most recent episode - really a fight about a teen girl's right to dress with her bra showing?  not the right fight to have.  

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 3

As much as I like Gary Cole, I would watch this show more if it was just Clem and her amazing fiance and his parents. The sister is pretty terrible, even as they *try* to add some heart to the show with the growing bond between the sisters.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I think the husband is pretty hilarious. Same with the parents. It's still an odd show, but I'm liking it OK. But it's so weird how Gary Cole just disappeared.

I agree. I think Shannon is the weak link. The show would be great without her. 

• Love 1

Gary Cole was a major part of the promo campaign for this show, yet he’s barely on; he’s missed several episodes in a row. Wonder if it was due to his schedule with The Good Fight?

Actually, Fam is getting decent ratings (comparatively) in its timeslot and is holding its own compared to other CBS comedies in that timeslot before. It has a pretty good chance of being renewed. The show is gelling pretty nicely as it continues.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, driver18 said:

Actually, Fam is getting decent ratings (comparatively) in its timeslot and is holding its own compared to other CBS comedies in that timeslot before. It has a pretty good chance of being renewed. The show is gelling pretty nicely as it continues.

Its not great.. Kinda simple... And the little sister is so awful it seems unbelievable... But Tone and Nina are great together.. And the parents... Especially the dad are fun so even tho I hate laugh tracks I always watch... 

• Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, Court said:

I agree. I think Shannon is the weak link. The show would be great without her. 

See, I think Shannon makes the show funny. Of course, she's a terrible person ( or so we are suppose to think). She's a teenager who's had, up to this point in her life, no good adult role models. If the show continues, she will get better. That's the way it is on these kind of shows. I guess no one here is old enough to remember Archie Bunker-- even as an adult, he was loud, crude, a bigot and not too bright. But he got better as time went on.

Not really trying to talk anyone into liking this show, to each his own, you know. But I think it's a pretty good, easy to enjoy show and I do hope it gets renewed. But, CBS has a nasty habit in cancelling at least one sitcom that I like( usually a new one) every year, so I fully expect that this will get the ax. Just the way it goes.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, willco said:

See, I think Shannon makes the show funny. Of course, she's a terrible person ( or so we are suppose to think). She's a teenager who's had, up to this point in her life, no good adult role models. If the show continues, she will get better. That's the way it is on these kind of shows. I guess no one here is old enough to remember Archie Bunker-- even as an adult, he was loud, crude, a bigot and not too bright. But he got better as time went on.

Yeah, I like Shannon myself. I like all of the characters, and I'm glad that we're seeing more of Ben too. I like him. I really do hope the show gets renewed as I find myself laughing quite a bit and that's what I want from a sitcom. It's not breaking any boundaries, but it's enjoyable.

This last episode was probably my favorite yet. It's nothing groundbreaking but it makes me laugh and I love the cast.

Plus, this last episode had a good amount of Gary Cole which is always a win. 

Shannon was terrible at the beginning and has not improved over time. 

We laughed once during this last episode.....the very last line where Gary Cole asks "So...how long are we supposed to sit here?".

We've seen each ep hoping it would get better....if we finally drop it, it will be Shannon that drives us there

• Love 1

This wedding dress ep from 4/4 was really confusing. I thought she tried on the dress (a different dress) in the pilot, and loved it, and was all about it being a Dior? 

Is this just a dropped thread? I hate when shows act like other episodes didn't happen. 

Nina Dobrev at the Met Gala! She was part of the Posen posse this year (Zac Posen created 3D printed pieces for five actresses/models). She is wearing a 3D printed bustier made of four pieces that took 200 hours to print. It was then wet hand sanded and sprayed with a clear coat to make it look like glass. She said it took six people to get it on.

1375221902_nina1.thumb.jpg.dcdedf31b3f3e3710bba9f2da8bc7428.jpg

900338542_nina3.thumb.jpg.4bf4aad8ec381876d70a827cad3cde65.jpg