Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

God Friended Me

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know!  I think we're supposed to believe that Miles' conversation with him at that upstate diner and in the car suddenly made Arthur realize that what he wanted was not to be a priest anymore.  I think it was when Arthur recounted his story about how he made a decision in his past to be with his wife it made him realize he was at a similar pivotal point in his life and that perhaps he should take another chance and make a similar change.  So we're supposed to see how far Miles has come that he can now give wise advice to his father, and his father accepts it, or something like that.

But yeah, I'm not buying it.

I'm not either. It still feels very random or like he didn't get the Bishop so he quit. Neither which seems like Arthur. Although I did like seeing him joining Miles in his podcast. It was great to see how far the two have come. But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

Miles and Rakesh getting their jobs fixed seemed random too. It didn't really make any sense.

I love that Cara has a cellphone that matches her top. I still love all her clothes. 

I love that they keep showing us past people they've helped. Its really great to see them again and how their doing.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, joanne3482 said:

Because I'm paranoid I just presume it is all tracking through Facebook, the phones' GPS and facial recognition on cameras* all over the city.  The algorithm connected the people together and told Miles where to go because the GPS  (and possibly cameras linked) told the algorithm this is where they are at that moment.  

*(I once read a book about some dystopian future where the major governments had gotten together and shared all the facial recognition they had and could basically follow any person along any path and it freaked me out.  Later I was walking home from work and I realized that there was maybe 1 block in the 1/2 mile I walked where I wasn't potentially on a camera between banks, outside of a retirement home, outside a hospital, and grocery store, etc...)

Heh, whenever I'm in a restroom stall, I have to remind myself that 1) it's illegal to put cameras in restrooms, and 2) nobody wants to see a 65-year-old woman without her clothes on.
15+ years ago my then-college sophomore daughter was posting on an anarchy message board, and we used to joke about how if the fibbies were listening to us on our cell phones they would be bored to sleep.

Anyway, WRT the show, I think tracking through tech plus AI becoming cognizant plus an element of the unexplained is a likely direction for the God Account.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Empress1 said:

I believe he still does his whatever job (customer service?) at the security company* in addition to the podcast so he couldn't just up and leave for six months

Yeah, I'm not sure that he works there any more (in as much as he ever did!).  Simon certainly didn't mention it, although that was probably due to time constraints.

• Like 1

TPTB see Arthur's leaving the priesthood as a part of a "high" for that character per the @Trini link above.  Not good.

It certainly makes life easier for showrunners who cannot stand being hemmed in.

The remarks as to the nature of TGA are no more sanguine to my eyes, either.

This show has a real chance to engender serious discussions about the deepest human considerations.  Alas, it appears to aspire to just be good TV.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm not either. It still feels very random or like he didn't get the Bishop so he quit. Neither which seems like Arthur. Although I did like seeing him joining Miles in his podcast. It was great to see how far the two have come. But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

Yeah, the scene with Arthur on the podcast was great, but it really WOULD be more powerful if he was still a reverend. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, the scene with Arthur on the podcast was great, but it really WOULD be more powerful if he was still a reverend. 

As a 30+ year reverend, he still has a certain gravitas/credibility.
I'm wondering if they had Arthur take off his collar in order to appeal to a broader audience.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm wondering if they had Arthur take off his collar in order to appeal to a broader audience.

Maybe his next calling will be to start his own podcast touching on faith and religious topics.  He and Miles can have "dueling podcasts", lol.

Regarding ex-priests, I know a former Catholic priest and have learned that you can take the priest out of the church but you can never really take the church out of the priest.

Maybe.....just maybe.....He'll go to work for the God Account.  Everybody into the act!

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, whenever I'm in a restroom stall, I have to remind myself that 1) it's illegal to put cameras in restrooms, and 2) nobody wants to see a 65-year-old woman without her clothes on.

Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that.  There are sickos out there that would!  Here in my upscale low crime area there have been a few separate incidents where cameras were found in restrooms in Starbucks and other public establishments.  Thankfully the sickos were all caught.  Shockingly, this does not appear to be uncommon these days all over the country, if you google on it.  Sorry to be so depressing on our "feel good" show board!  😞 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that Cara has a cellphone that matches her top. I still love all her clothes. 

Miles' sister's clothes have been amazing too.  That Zara blouse she wore in this episode that looked like an abstract designer scarf was beautiful.  I found it here on eBay for only $24.00 (Zara is inexpensive) but I'm a large these days.

This site will tell you where their clothing comes from and the cost.  That chevron turtleneck Cara wore a few episodes ago is (as we suspected) about $450.00.

Our favorite magenta leather jacket was by Alice + Olivia at about $1,000.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 4/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, mythoughtis said:

I agree. The entire Henry Chase-Simon-Pria subplot is so over the top and actually takes away from the show.   I’d be happy if they would focus on the weekly God account stories, Cara’s reporting them, Rajesh helping to research them, Arthur and Miles relationship and their different faiths, their families etc.  

Personally, I think they should have taken some of that programmer screen time and given it to Trish...I like the character, I think she seems nice and like she and Arthur could make a good couple. But we know next to nothing about her, except she owns a music store. Was she previously married? Does she have any kids? etc. Give the poor lady some backstory!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Alas, it appears to aspire to just be good TV.

Well, it is VERY good TV, so there is that...

• Like 2

Like Miles and then Cara just happening to see Pria, then the cab driver just happening to be in the cab right behind Pria when Miles flagged him down? 

Talk about fantasy. Miles flags down a NY cab and scores the very first time. (But even at that, the driver drove right past him until he registered that the fare was Miles.)

You get fired from a high-tech firm. Not only are you only instructed to leave your badge with security, you're then allowed to waltz right into the place and confront the boss who fired you.

I liked the ending. I know it's too much to ask for next season to be about an entirely different cast handling the god account. 

Simon was like the Wizard of Oz, doling out gifts for the three main characters.

• Like 4

On 4/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, shapeshifter said:

Watching over the last few episodes, I realized that what Arthur said on he and Miles' little road trip upstate about how once you figure out what you want, things have a way of working themselves out might be a prophetic statement showing us that taking off that collar and saying he wanted to just be a man and dedicate himself to his relationship, etc. will be just like it was when he did that with his wife decades earlier, and a new job offer will come along after that just as he was offered the position at Harlem Episcopal decades earlier.  Plus a friend of mine pointed out that taking off the collar doesn't mean he's still not a priest.

• Like 2

One of my theories is that the writers just didn't want to have to be bogged down with the details of being a reverend and church organization.

Edited by Trini · Reason: curses! typos quoted again!
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Trini said:

One of my theories is that the writers just didn't want to have to booged down with the details of being a reverend and church organization.

And/or they think his character would be more interesting and more central to the plot if he's freer to pursue endeavors outside the priesthood.  If he gets a job offer it will probably not be another position in a priestly capacity.

• Like 2

Also, I'm still not buying that Simon would have taken his program off of the secure servers in Palo Alto without first having a copy transferred to a secret location for safekeeping.   It just doesn't make sense to me that he would have put it on his laptop with no backup knowing that Pria was trying to destroy it.  Why would he think putting it on the laptop was enough?  It still makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Yeah, I know, I love this show anyway.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3

Photo shoot with Violett Beane coming out later this year:

And Season 2's writer's room:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Trini said:

Photo shoot with Violett Beane coming out later this year:

And Season 2's writer's room:

Can't wait!