Type keyword(s) to search

Constantine In The Media

Constantine Will Not Be Bisexual on the NBC Show

With NBC's Constantine premiering in the fall, there has been some speculation as to whether whether the character of John Constantine, a.k.a Hellblazer (portrayed by Matt Ryan) would be bisexual on the show as he is in the DC comics. At the TCA press tour on Sunday executive producer Daniel Cerone put any such rumors to rest, arguing that the demon fighter's bisexuality hasn't historically been a crucial element of his character. "In those comic books, John Constantine aged in real time,” he said. “Within this tome of three decades [of comics] there might have been one or two issues where he’s seen getting out of bed with a man. So [maybe] 20 years from now? But there are no immediate plans.”

Ehh, between that lame excuse and Lucy Griffiths randomly leaving the show, outlook not good on the fate of Constantine. I'm disappointed.

Agreed. I'm really pulling back from this show, based on this stuff. The reasoning, while probably very common within TV studios, just feels a little sleazy when it's out in the open like this. Both the decision about Constantine's sexuality and the decision about canning Lucy Griffiths. Plus, with the news of a pilot scene reshoot, and the "Constantine's friends die all the time" line in a recent interview, then the fact it's the only woman in the pilot who might be getting killed? Yeah, seems like some of the worst comic book tendencies are being adopted, here.

then the fact it's the only woman in the pilot who might be getting killed?

Nah, they won't kill her (too expensive to reshoot for one). They'll just get rid of the scenes in the pilot setting up future adventures for them.

You'd think at this point, a bisexual lead character is more likely to attract viewers than repel them. There are way too many shows that die somewhere during their premiere seasons, so "out of the box" stuff should, at least, differentiate this one from the bunch/maybe attract some otherwise uninterested LGBT fans from the get go.

• Love 3

Constantine Jumps 38% in Adults 18-49.

"Constantine” (1.1/4 in 18-49, 3.5 million viewers overall from 10-11 p.m. ET) jumped +38% week to week in adults 18-49 (to a 1.1 rating from a 0.8) to hit its highest rating since its series debut  on Oct. 24 (1.4).

Edited by kwerkee
  • Love 2

Syfy had a marathon (I don't know how that deal was worked out) of the first 4 episodes on Thursday so maybe that helped? We'll see how it holds next week.

I think NBC owns SyFy, that was a smart move.

I'm glad the ratings went up, let's just hope it holds on finals and stays at or over 1.0 for as long as it can.

• Love 1

Not sure that 13 is it for this show.  I saw rumblings way back before the show aired that they might go with 13 episode seasons, just as was being done with Hannibal.  And I don't think that's a bad idea.  The typical 22 episode season leaves (IMHO) too much room for "filler" episodes. I'd much rather have just 13 well crafted episodes than 13 or 14 good episodes and 8 or 9 that do nothing to advance the story.  The 38% jump in ratings this week won't hurt the show's chances of a second season.

• Love 3

Well it didn't go great work Sleepy Hollow this season and that "short season but quick renewal" was announced as a very positive thing, this is more of a "well we hope it might still be renewed..." It works well on cable but not as often on network TV.  It definitely has a chance but at the moment they aren't even pretending it might be for artistic/quality control reasons. 

Yeah, I have to wonder what they're thinking with the 8 Pm slot, particularly since I'm guessing that everything that's been filmed was done with 10 Pm in mind (unless they double-filmed e.g. smoking/not-smoking scenes, etc.)  What's taking over at 10?

• Love 1

See, to a degree, ITA with the ' WTH? 7PM Central?' reaction, but if Dateline can true crime for years a the Friday lead-off, then Constantine shouldn't shake too many folks up. At least John and the gang are fictional, whereas Dateline was about real people committing real life crimes.  If the PTC starts up, where were they when DL started their true crime run?

So latest rumour is that NBC is considering giving the show to Syfy. With a 13 ep season and a name change ( they're considering changing the name to "Hellblazer" to bring in more comic book fans) They might be able to save the show, it had no business being on NBC anyway. It'd work really well with Dominion.

• Love 4

That's funny, I suggested that on spoiler TV awhile back and was told No Way that would happen.

I know it's just a rumor but, NBC Universal owns Syfy and it would be a good fit for the network.

I hope it happens, I don't currently watch anything in Syfy but I would follow Constantine to Syfy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

The fact that ratings ( and reviews) are improving isn't hurting the case for moving here. I feel like the Constantine producers would probably be able to make a really argument that because it's a Comic book show (and a dark comic book at that) it would fit a lot better.

• Love 2

Don't give it so SyFy (because I don't get the channel), give it to AMC. They are moving away from reality TV and focusing on scripted shows. And as we see with The Walking Dead, they won't hold back either on the disturbing dark elements of the show.

Why did they throw it initially on Friday's in the first place. Any other day of the week (except Monday).

I probably already said this upthread (having Deja Vu). I swear every show Im watching this year will be cancelled. *Le sigh*

• Love 1
Don't give it so SyFy (because I don't get the channel), give it to AMC. They are moving away from reality TV and focusing on scripted shows.

No way would AMC pick up a network comic book show. They are all about pretentious award baits (except Walking Dead, but even it is much duller than a zombie show has any right to be). I realize this is a very unpopular opinion, though :)

As for SyFy, they are actually trying to move away from wrestling and superficial stuff like Warehouse 13. 12 Monkeys isn't what I'd call a great show, but it's a step in the right direction, at least. Defiance is also watchable, for the most part. So they aren't as bad now, but still far cry from the days of BSG. Still, it would be nice if they picked this up. I still haven't seen any episodes past the pilot because I prefer not to invest in low-rated shows, unless I fall in love from the get-go (which didn't happen for me this time).

IIRC, AMC is getting behind the Seth Rogen-attached (behind-the-scenes) Preacher, which also came out of DC's Vertigo imprint. If that is correct, bam! They now could have a spooky, comic book-y block of programming for Friday or Saturday adding Constantine.

That being said, I get it if it stays "in the family" of NBCU and SyFy. I think the cast is fine and the writers are getting the rhythms of the show down. If it can find a place to grow, I'll be glad. (I have cut the cord, so I may end up watching through Hulu or somesuch.)

I am sad about the cancellation at NBC. I will hope that another of the NBCU fam can take it in though, as slim a hope as that is.

That linked story, though? If it wasn't for Cerrone's tweet, it'd barely make it as an item.

As for this:

Constantine fans, looks like we’re never going to find out exactly what happened on that fateful night in Newcastle:

Well, we know the basics- things went from bad to one of the two worst endings.  I don't need to know the  fraction of blame to be parceled out to each participant. John is carrying/ feeling the entire blame as is.  Maybe if the writer meant what happened that night in the finale with Manny, I wouldn't feel so cranky.

Wow bummer.  Didn't participate here because I ddin't watch when you all were, but I really liked the show and may look for the comics.  Maybe someone will bring it back somewhere.......

(edited)

The CW, like Syfy, has no interest in this show. Now network executives of two different stations have disclosed there was never any truth to the rumors that Constantine was being considered for their network.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/14/the-cw-president-says-constantine-move-just-a-rumor

(This article on how Constantine Won't Be Moving to Syfy broke in February)

Daniel Cerone is just a lying sack of **** who convinced gullible followers that downloading episodes on paid platforms (or even streaming) would help save the show, when in reality it would just fatten his pockets from the ad revenue.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 1

Aw man - what an asshole. If this was all so he could get some extra cash in his pocket?? That really pisses me off because he's been stringing along the fans who were hoping for the show to be renewed. Sad.

And even sadder because the show will really NOT be renewed. *grumble*

• Love 2

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but since TVLine recently posted that the show is most definitely not coming back, I'm wondering if I should bother watching the last two episodes that are still sitting in my DVR. Will I enjoy them or just get frustrated by the cancellation (or both)?