Type keyword(s) to search

Grand Hotel - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Honestly, this is written at the level of an early 1970's Hanna-Barbera cartoon. 

Santiago (hanging up the phone): "Hey Gigi, that was the cops who did the human-trafficking bust at our hotel last week that nobody ever found out about including our kids and the staff. They're giving us immunity even though we seemingly didn't tell them that we owe the mob money or that Mateo, our "employee", works for Theresa, who has disappeared completely, or that we got him to sabotage our competition and almost killed a bunch of people including Javi and made Ingrid lose her baby. They do know you helped that girl who was being trafficked though!"

Gigi: "I wonder who could have told them that?"

Santiago: "Yeah, it's a mystery. let's pretend to think about it for a second, then we can stash all this in the memory hole in the basement along with El Rey, the hotel next door and it's rapey owner and you can go do a light comedy subplot about Carolina's love life!"

Gigi: "Excellent idea! Oh, you know what, though? After that, we should tell your son, the booze, drugs and sex addict who just completed rehab that we lied to him about his mother committing suicide without any sort of preparation at all because that couldn't ever possibly cause him to have a relapse, could it?"

Santiago: "Nah. After all, it's not like we told his rehab counsellor about the history of mental health issues in the family when we packed him off there! It's also not like he has the greatest memory since he was apparently 17-going-on-27 when she died but claims to have barely any memories of her. He'll be fine!"

And. 

Yet. 

I.

Still.

Watch.

Also, what the hell is the timeline of all this? Judging by Gigi's hair in the scene where she found Beatriz, the suicide took place in about 1978. 

If Sky is dead and does not make a dramatic reappearance next week, my money is on the killer being

Spoiler

Mr. P.

Reasoning; Sky told him Jason wasn't his son and he killed her in a rage. That way nobody ends up in jail for Season Two (if there is one) and he'll be dead by then anyway, so all the characters will be around for the fallout.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I like that last night they show previews for the season finale and NOT the series finale.  I take it is been renewed?  

Sadly no. It just means they wrote the season finale hoping to get renewed. If a series is not canceled before all of the episodes are produced, TPTB will shoot the last episode of the season as the season finale. Then when a series is canceled after the season finale has aired. That SF is now the series finale. With cliffhangers that will never be resolved. 

I didn’t see Jason being Santiago’s biological son coming! I was sure some long lost character was going to pop up. Because S&G were not sleeping together around the time her fraternal twin daughters were born. Maybe it should have been obvious when Ingrid said imagine you owned this hotel. Mr. P will soon be on his deathbed. I wonder if he suspected it? I hate to say it but telling a man that on his death is horrible even though he’s leaving soon. Why would this secret cause someone to comment suicide, though? I know Beatriz wasn’t well but why would she kill herself over it? But, again her mind wasn’t healthy. Fuck, I don’t how to explain that subplot 🤷‍♂️ I knew the Bryon thing wasn’t going to last. I’m sure Santiago left GiGi something in the will, including his stake in the hotel.   Her kids would benefit from her inheritance. Given Santiago dies before her. Mateo, you’re still a weak villain. 

Edited by Simba122504
Typo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Because S&G were not sleeping together around the time her fraternal twin daughters were born.

Now that you mention it (that they are fraternal twins), I am sure that if this show did have another season it would be revealed that they had different fathers.

Edited by shapeshifter
Clarity
  • Love 3

Good episode.  I liked that Danny and Alicia teamed up together to try and solve both mysteries regarding Beatriz and Sky.

Gigi has been holding out on Santiago and his kids the secret about Jason.  Not surprising.  But Mrs. P has been holding the same secret.  She's been so close to Alicia these past 10 years, almost like a second mother.  I'm sure Alicia will feel betrayed that Mrs. P never said anything.  I wonder if Mrs. P knows that Gigi knows?  

I don't fully understand how the note ended up in Sky's possession in the air vent.  Gigi slipped it into her pocket.  Are we supposed to believe that Gigi was so careless that it fell out of her pocket?  And why would Sky have been in the room again after Beatriz died?  Sky was a cook, she was given a key so she could serve meals to Beatriz when Beatriz was in the room.  Why would she be asked to bring meals AFTER Beatriz died?  And frankly, why wouldn't Santiago and Gigi have asked for the key back immediately?

Why did we see Gigi frantically looking around the room for this note a few episodes ago?  If she hadn't found it in ten years why would she think it was still there?  I guess this all needs to be handwaved in the interest of suspense etc but still.

I have no sympathy for Carolina and Yolanda.  "We don't have any money."  How old are they?  I believe Javi is 27 and Alicia is 25.  I would assume that the twins are around the same age as Alicia, maybe a little younger.  We know that Carolina at least never went to college.  Why not?  What about Yolanda?  For some reason I thought she had some kind of job at the hotel but maybe not.  Yes their mother married the owner of the hotel and is now wealthy, but why would they have assumed that means they will inherit it?  Why wouldn't they have gotten jobs at least at the hotel?  Carolina could easily work the event planning with Gigi.

I would have assumed that Gigi is named in Santiago's will and she would probably inherit a sizeable chunk of money.  Gigi's will should provide for her own daughters.  Apart from that, why would there be any expectation that Santiago would name them in his will?  I don't think I've ever seen them consider him their father and in fact they actively went behind his back to hide Felix in his hotel.  On top of that, they were dreaming about their parents getting back together and they hoped that they would all flee the country together as a family of four.  So to that, I would have said "SCREW YOU ladies, you tried to break up our marriage".  They would have had no idea that Gigi was going along with it to get the money back.  They actually were hoping that Gigi would run off to the Bahamas with Felix permanently.

Alicia and Javi were in their mid to late teens when Beatriz died.  Why do they act like they have zero memories of her.  Also, I thought she was a tad too quick to reach the conclusion that the affair was with Mrs P.  Seemed uncharacteristic of Mrs P to let the 15 years reference slip but Beatriz sure seemed awfully sharp to instantly reach that conclusion that it was her and that Jason was Santiago's son.  Mrs P could have simply just said that Santiago told her about it one time.

Regardless, it was great seeing more of Eva Longoria.  I like how she is credited as Eva Longoria as an actress because that's how she is known but her executive producer credit uses her married name as well.

Really hope this show is renewed.  

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't fully understand how the note ended up in Sky's possession in the air vent.  Gigi slipped it into her pocket.  Are we supposed to believe that Gigi was so careless that it fell out of her pocket?  And why would Sky have been in the room again after Beatriz died?  Sky was a cook, she was given a key so she could serve meals to Beatriz when Beatriz was in the room.  Why would she be asked to bring meals AFTER Beatriz died?  And frankly, why wouldn't Santiago and Gigi have asked for the key back immediately?

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but didn't Sky and Yoli use that room to meet up/hook up?  Beatriz died 10 years ago so I don't think Sky served  her meals. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Jillybean said:
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but didn't Sky and Yoli use that room to meet up/hook up?  Beatriz died 10 years ago so I don't think Sky served  her meals. 

My theory is that Gigi stashed the note in the room
--although why keep it instead of destroying it?
Then, before or after one of her hookups with Yoli, Skye found the note and hid it in the heating duct. 
Also: I thought there was some dialog about Skye getting a copy of the key made, but I'm not sure.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My theory is that Gigi stashed the note in the room
--although why keep it instead of destroying it?
Then, before or after one of her hookups with Yoli, Skye found the note and hid it in the heating duct. 
Also: I thought there was some dialog about Skye getting a copy of the key made, but I'm not sure.

Ah yes, I mixed up the timeline.  You are both right, Sky and Yoli used the room to hook up.  I cannot remember how Yoli had a key in the first place... you would think that Gigi would know that was a "sacred room".  Yoli knew the room was unused and abandoned but I can't remember how she had a key.  She made Sky a copy of the key.  

Somewhere along the line Sky found the note... but again, did it just fall out of Gigi's pocket and Sky found it 9 years later or so?

Now that I think about it, Gigi must not have had access to the room for all these years... it wasn't until Yoli gave her the key back that she went into the room looking for the note.  Which again, stupid.  She is married to the hotel's owner, if she had wanted in to the room to look for the note years ago, she could have done so. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

Ah yes, I mixed up the timeline.  You are both right, Sky and Yoli used the room to hook up.  I cannot remember how Yoli had a key in the first place... you would think that Gigi would know that was a "sacred room".  Yoli knew the room was unused and abandoned but I can't remember how she had a key.  She made Sky a copy of the key.  

She "borrowed" the key from Gigi.  She apologized for taking it after Felix was caught, and admitted she'd been using it before. Then Gigi went and searched the room and while talking to herself, said "where'd you put it Skye", or something similar.

So maybe Skye found it elsewhere, and hid it in the room so she could blackmail Gigi. Then after Skye went missing, Gigi tried to find the letter to wrap up loose ends. 

But Skye would only know to blackmail Gigi if she found the letter in Gigi's room/possession. 

Also, does Santiago really not know Jason is his son? He sleeps with Mrs. P and she has a baby nine months later, wouldn't most people question it?

Question: When Santiago was watching the security tape and saw bloody Gigi, where was she coming from? She certainly did NOT look like she was outside in the hurricane. How did she get in through a security door that only opens from the inside?  Her hair was dry her makeup intact and her white slacks and hands were covered with blood.  AND Mateo knows all of this.

11 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

What was the explanation? I missed that part.

When whatsherface (Santiago's daughter) and Danny were sitting at the pool at night time, she mentioned that no one's been in that room and it doesn't ever have a card reader or something like that.  BUT the door does have a card reader. UGH!!!!

• LOL 2

Good episode that wrapped up many storylines nicely.  Hopefully it wasn’t a series finale.  If the show gets cancelled it would be frustrating to not know if Santiago died and who shot him. 

The three most likely suspects of course would be Mrs P (didn’t want truth about Jason revealed), Mateo (got fired and told Ingrid he was going to make one last mistake) and Felix (on his way back to Miami after learning that Santiago must die in order for his daughters to get money).

Of course in a “make up your own ending” scenario I’m going to say it was Beatriz, back from the dead.  On a mood swing and not putting up with his lies anymore.  Or it would be someone fairly unlikely and extraneous like Carolina   

Javi/ Ingrid’s Mom... hilariously awesome.  Glad that Danny and Alicia stayed together.  

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

The actor playing Danny really played it poorly. I ended up feeling badly for Jason and his parents. Gigi too. 

This needs a second season!

I felt badly for Jason, but only a little bad for his parents. And that was mostly because Mr. P was dying. 

I felt bad for Sky too. Blackmail is not cool, but she didn't deserve to die like that. 

However, I don't think Mrs. P was the one to shoot Santiago. Too many people know the truth now for killing him to keep her secret.  And if she did, she would regret it when she realized he changed his will. I think it is more likely to be Felix, who thinks he can get some money out of his idiot daughters. But if there is a season 2, I doubt he will really be dead.

I feel a little bad for Alicia. Her father keeps adding people to his will to give away part of her inheritance, and the only one of them who has any interest in working is Jason. Even Javi doesn't have any interest in working now that he isn't having a kid.

• Love 6

So this whole time Mr. P killed Sky and it wasn't even 1st degree or 2nd degree. lol Meaning this whole time we were led to believe someone killed or "killed" her in cold blood when in reality in was more Netflix and chill then a big blow out. 😂 And what did they do with her body? I doubt GiGi was able to pick her up alone. Mr. P would have to carry the body and throw it where? A hurricane was doing its annual pass through. He just carried her body to the beach, brought it in the middle of the water (during a hurricane) and then swam back to shore? Was he Superman? Kryptonite really took him out. The soap trope says without the body, the character isn't confirmed dead. Hell, sometimes with the body, characters pop back up. I doubt Mrs. P shot Santiago. She didn't kill Sky but shot Santiago? So, she wants Jason to know the truth now. Of course the trope says he's going to find out anyway. Mateo is up next.  I don't get how Santiago dying helps him get his job back? Flex is predictable. What about Finn? The MIA villian of the week. Ingrid's mom slept with Javi. Classic soap move, show. Santiago ain't dead but we won't see him survive. My faith in it being renewed is low. What's Carolina's purpose again? 

Edited by Simba122504
Missing word
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

And what did they do with her body?

I was going to ask the same thing.  Danny goes thru this whole elaborate ruse to find out what happened to her and doesn't bother to ask what was done with her body?

2 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

soap trope

The one that got me tonight (and it really isn't just confined to soaps) is that you have two characters engaged in a physical fight. There is a third character in the room who has a vested interest in one of the fighting characters winning said fight. That character could easily do something to help the other win the fight, but instead choses to just observe and not lift a finger.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Good finale and wrapping up of story lines and setting up for season 2, although having Mr. P - who conveniently was on his death bed - kill her by accident was kind of a cop-out.  Still everything made sense and the moved on to the stories.

Spoiler

The sister eventually showed up alive in the original.  I am guessing that there was no final body discussion is that they want to keep that option open.  It would not be the first time that someone on a soap thought they killed someone and buried the person in a shallow grave where they dug themselves out.  Still, the show has deviated enough from the original, she might be dead-dead.

I had thought the killer might be the sister as a spurned lover and Gigi covering from her.  

I missed part of Gigi and Santiago's last conversation about the will.  Was he simply going to add Jason or was he going to remove the daughters.  If so it is possible, Gigi and the daughters could be on the list, although I think they would be more likely used as red herrings.

Not to wish the actor out of a job, but I think it would add for more drama and story line potentials if Santiago is actually dead and does not survive the shooting. 

8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The actor playing Danny really played it poorly

I did not think Danny was bad or is necessarily a bad actor, but he is probably one of the weaker actors on the show.   Rosalyn has improved a lot as an actress over the years.  She always draws you in to watch her.

Ingrid's mom has potential.  Of course if there is no season 2, this will be moot.

• Love 3

I know that we didn't get to know the type of person Sky was, but making her be all bad ass and a blackmailer was a stretch for me.  And would a kitchen employee's key card really have access full access to the hotel?

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, CCTC said:

Good finale and wrapping up of story lines and setting up for season 2, although having Mr. P - who conveniently was on his death bed - kill her by accident was kind of a cop-out.  Still everything made sense and the moved on to the stories.

I don't necessarily know if I would call it an accident.  I would say this was clearly not first or second degree murder, because those both are intentional murders with or without premeditation.  This death is manslaughter.  However, there would be a question as to whether it was voluntary (crime of passion or spur of the moment) or involuntary (no intent to cause death but committed an intentional act or negligent act that caused death).  This was probably most likely involuntary manslaughter.

However, if it was involuntary manslaughter... why the extensive cover up?  Clearly, Malcolm and Gigi were involved in the disposal of the body, even if Gigi left and Malcolm did it himself.  So there's some kind of desecration of a body or concealment of a death charge.  What about obstruction of justice?  There was an investigation into the disappearance, Gigi obviously knew what had happened to her.  She would for sure have been questioned and thus must have lied.

Malcolm dies and thus he is beyond the law.  But how come Gigi goes completely free?  I get that Sky was a blackmailer and therefore not exactly a good person, but that doesn't mean that killing her is justified.  Gigi brought a gun to a meeting with the intent to either kill or scare her, pointed the gun at her, and in the ensuing struggle, Sky was killed by another.  I don't think you can argue it was self-defense if you brought the gun to the fight in the first place, right?

42 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I know that we didn't get to know the type of person Sky was, but making her be all bad ass and a blackmailer was a stretch for me.  And would a kitchen employee's key card really have access full access to the hotel?

I was annoyed as well that she was turned into a blackmailer.  Was she trying to get money?  She could have just used the knowledge to try and get favors to advance her career.  I was irritated at how easily the family and police believed the story about the missing jewelry.  Gigi never identified exactly what was stolen.  Not sure why Yolanda would so easily believe that Sky had stolen something.  If Sky had really been a thief, why wouldn't she have stolen more?

I guess in the end, this is supposed to be a soap, so as ridiculous as things were, I will chalk it up to being all in the name of entertainment.

• Love 3

So, we have quite a few unanswered question for S2 (if there is one):

Who shot Santiago? (Mateo, Mrs. P, Felix, Gigi,  Jason, someone else?)

Is Santiago dead or alive?

Will Gigi answer for Sky's death?

Mateo's "one last mistake" statement.

Does Jason find out about his real father?

Will Danny become part of the Mendoza "inner circle"

Finn, Theresa, the detectives, anything else.

• Love 2

I'm glad that Gigi's not the killer, but she was an accessory to manslaughter, and I feel like the show glossed over that pretty quickly?

What does Danny tell Jason now to explain why he's given up on looking for Sky?

I had seen a promo pic of Ingrid seeing Javi with Jessalyn Gilsig, and that's some nice casting because even from the picture my thought was, "That's her mom!"

The last 10 minutes or so were really emphasizing the "Everyone has reason to want Santiago dead" angle, so by the time the cliffhanger arrived I was just waiting for it to happen.

Edited by CRT
  • Love 1

I was happy they cleared up some of the storylines.  I was worried they would make everything a cliffhanger and then not renew it.

Making Mr P the killer seemed the obvious direction they were going.  He was dying anyway.  They want to keep Mrs P on the show.  Gigi was another character they did not want to get rid of.  The killer was going to be someone expendable to the show.

I just assumed that Felix was the one that shot Santiago.  If the show is cancelled I will assume Felix killed Santiago.  If it gets renewed Santiago will live.

I really want this show to come back.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CCTC said:

Not to wish the actor out of a job, but I think it would add for more drama and story line potentials if Santiago is actually dead and does not survive the shooting. 

Heh, I don't think Demián Bichir will be unemployed. 
He did such a convincing performance of dying, that I thought: Yeah. Demián Bichir really wants to be done with this show.

However, IMO, without Demián Bichir, the ratings would tank, so maybe they can offer him enough money to bring him back from the dead. 😉

• LOL 3
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, I don't think Demián Bichir will be unemployed. 
He did such a convincing performance of dying, that I thought: Yeah. Demián Bichir really wants to be done with this show.

However, IMO, without Demián Bichir, the ratings would tank, so maybe they can offer him enough money to bring him back from the dead. 😉

whats your insider trading info with him? Why does he want to leave the show?

36 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

whats your insider trading info with him? Why does he want to leave the show?

Oh, I have no such actual knowledge. I was just speculating based on his full dance card at IMDb and my interpretation of his performance in the death scene — plus, I think that although he might've enjoyed doing this show for a season —he can do better.

• Love 2

I must be a real idiot, but I didnt see it being Mr. P until they got to the hospital, and when Danny said he would check on him I was like "oooooh". I thought this was a good finale, it wrapped up the seasons mystery and answered a lot of questions, while also keeping a lot open and starting a new mystery for season two. 

I felt bad for Sky, even if she turned out not to be the best person. She was a blackmailer (and to her girlfriends mom!) but she did seem to love Danny, and maybe Yoli, and she didnt deserve to die. Although you can tell that she has never read a mystery novel in her life, things NEVER end well for blackmailers in stories like this! 

I felt bad for Mr. P and his family even after finding out what he did though. Especially Jason, who is pretty much the only member of his family that didnt do anything wrong. I also feel bad for Alicia, she just keeps getting bomb shells drooped on her over and over again, and now her dad keeps on adding new kids to her inheritance! 

Speaking of, our next mystery is "Who Shot Santiago?!" and if he is even alive. I would say the most likely candidate is Felix, but I would kind of love it if it was Carolina, or someone super random like Danny's ex girlfriend. He makes a good point to Gigi, its super rich that she was lecturing just lecturing him on keeping secrets, when she was keeping a HUGE secret from him for years!

Classic soap triangle: Mom/Daughter/Former Fake Baby Daddy. Kudos to casting, the woman playing Ingrid's mom really does look like they could be related!

I hope we get another season!

• Love 2

I don't think the show's renewal chances are high, but my feeling is that if it comes back then Santiago will either be dead or "dead" only to reappear later on down the line.

The biggest reason why Santiago might actually be dead is that it would be getting back to the original Spanish show's plot-line, which opened in the months after hotel owner/patriarch Don Carlos' (Santiago's) death and dealt with how his widow and children ran (or didn't run, in the case of Javier) the hotel.

When I read that the ABC version would feature a living patriarch, I thought that was a curious deviation, but it could be that the plan all along was to use S1 to establish Santiago and then kill him off and open S2 with the Mendozas in a place similar to that of Gran Hotel's Alarcóns.

Then there's the will...if Santiago's alive, there's not much more drama to be mined from the will changes -- he'll simply put Jason in as speedily as he put in Yoli and Carolina, and everyone who's pissed about it will just have to suck it up...the stakes for the audience aren't high enough.

But if he's dead, then there'll be a power struggle between characters of wildly differing abilities who will have clashing interests and reasons to be suspicious of one another.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, northboundtrain said:

But if he's dead, then there'll be a power struggle between characters of wildly differing abilities who will have clashing interests and reasons to be suspicious of one another.

I had thought the show had lost something when they made Gigi Alicia's stepmother rather than actual mother, because much of the original show's tension was Alicia wondering if her mother was a monster.  It had a little more bite to it and a deeper conflict to it than the somewhat cliched kids not caring for the second wife.

However, in battling for control of the hotel, it makes more sense to have Santiago's kids to be battling their father's wife who is not their mother.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I must be a real idiot, but I didnt see it being Mr. P until they got to the hospital, and when Danny said he would check on him I was like "oooooh". I thought this was a good finale, it wrapped up the seasons mystery and answered a lot of questions, while also keeping a lot open and starting a new mystery for season two. 

I felt bad for Sky, even if she turned out not to be the best person. She was a blackmailer (and to her girlfriends mom!) but she did seem to love Danny, and maybe Yoli, and she didnt deserve to die. Although you can tell that she has never read a mystery novel in her life, things NEVER end well for blackmailers in stories like this! 

I felt bad for Mr. P and his family even after finding out what he did though. Especially Jason, who is pretty much the only member of his family that didnt do anything wrong. I also feel bad for Alicia, she just keeps getting bomb shells drooped on her over and over again, and now her dad keeps on adding new kids to her inheritance! 

Speaking of, our next mystery is "Who Shot Santiago?!" and if he is even alive. I would say the most likely candidate is Felix, but I would kind of love it if it was Carolina, or someone super random like Danny's ex girlfriend. He makes a good point to Gigi, its super rich that she was lecturing just lecturing him on keeping secrets, when she was keeping a HUGE secret from him for years!

Classic soap triangle: Mom/Daughter/Former Fake Baby Daddy. Kudos to casting, the woman playing Ingrid's mom really does look like they could be related!

I hope we get another season!

Lord, if it turns out Beatriz put a child up for adoption and Santiago adds him/her too! Alicia has a great motive to first hook up with the estate lawyer, change her father's will and then he mysteriously disappears. Hey, it's most likely isn't returning, so I'm creating head canon. 😅😆

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Simba122504 said:

Lord, if it turns out Beatriz put a child up for adoption and Santiago adds him/her too! Alicia has a great motive to first hook up with the estate lawyer, change her father's will and then he mysteriously disappears. Hey, it's most likely isn't returning, so I'm creating head canon. 😅😆

The fan fiction could potentially be much better than a second season.
Still, it works as a late summer show when there's not much else on.

30 minutes ago, Happywatcher said:

Why did they make Danny so stupid?

It seemed like type casting, but I do not know anything about the actor, so he could be a genius playing an idiot
--which doesn't answer your question.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2019 at 9:10 PM, BaskingsharkGTX said:

If Sky is dead and does not make a dramatic reappearance next week, my money is on the killer being

Hide contents

Mr. P.

Reasoning; Sky told him Jason wasn't his son and he killed her in a rage. That way nobody ends up in jail for Season Two (if there is one) and he'll be dead by then anyway, so all the characters will be around for the fallout.

I am pleased with my calling of this. 

16 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

And what did they do with her body? I doubt GiGi was able to pick her alone. Mr. P would have to carry the body and throw it where? A hurricane was doing its annual pass through. He just carried her body to the beach, brought it in the middle of the water (during a hurricane) and then swam back to shore? Was he Superman? Kryptonite really took him out. The soap trope says without the body, the character isn't confirmed dead. Hell, sometimes with the body, characters pop back up.

Ah this show, so free of logic. Maybe Mr. P's job as "maintenance" also involved getting rid of any bodies of people who died in the hotel so it wouldn't spoil the party ambience? Yeah, I got nuthin'

I did not see Javi's Cougar being Ingrid's mom coming. I really like Anne Winters. She made Ingrid likable even when she was being EVOL, although it does seem like half the characters on this show are rich and the other half are all poor, resentful and will do anything to get over to the other side.

If there is a season two and she gets rid of her mom and gets with Javi, does that make them "Jagrid"?

That green screen on the beach behind Danny and Alicia at the end was horrible. 

This show could have been so much better and yet I still hope it gets renewed.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Ah this show, so free of logic. Maybe Mr. P's job as "maintenance" also involved getting rid of any bodies of people who died in the hotel so it wouldn't spoil the party ambience? Yeah, I got nuthin'

Maybe they hid Sky's body in a maintenance/storage area until the hurricane ended, and then took her to the middle of the ocean or something. There was probably a lot of clean up after the hurricane so they could have disguised carrying her body out with that. No one would have been searching for her right away and Santiago wasn't going to ask questions. 

I was glad Alicia asked the obvious question of how her dad never could have guessed the baby born 9 months after his affair was his. The answer doesn't make sense though, because even if Jason was born early, that was still almost 8 months into the pregnancy. Santiago should have questioned it earlier and asked for a DNA test.

I will also say, Alicia listening to Jason talk at the funeral reminded me of her sitting at Carolina's wedding in the pilot. She sat their smiling pretending she hadn't told the fiance the truth about Carolina cheating. She seems to be a likely candidate to telling Jason the truth. Although......has she ever talked to Jason?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If this show wants any hope of surviving, it needs the star power of Eva Longoria.  Roselyn Sanchez is great and a kinda known TV actress.  I am aware that the lead actor is an Oscar nominee, but let’s be real, 95% of people outside of the Hispanic film scene have probably never heard of him.  This show needs more Eva.  

My scenario is that Beatriz never died after all. She’s been in a coma for the past ten years.  Gigi thought she was dead but Santiago didn’t give up and she’s been in some long term care facility in Switzerland.  She woke up and on a bipolar episode she flew home and shot Santiago for his duplicity.  He dies and the hotel and all of the money goes to Gigi, his 8 kids, stepkids, bastard kids and a goat.  The rest of the season is spent with the two women, formerly best friends, now at each other’s throats over the money.  

Alicia and Javi are overjoyed at the reunion with their mother and obviously want her to get everything since she was never dead and it was her hotel.  Gigi argues the power of attorney was given to Santiago who then gave the money and hotel to her and the various children.  Jason doesn’t know who to side with as he has no ties to either woman.  

Then at the end of the season El Rey turns up and sues the hotel because Mateo as an employee nearly killed him.  He gets everything!  And then marries Ingrid.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

The show tricked me into thinking that it was Mrs. P who did Sky in.  I should have seen it was Mr. P but I enjoyed that moment of deception.

I also should have seen Javi's new hookup as Ingrid's mother but it escaped me.

I thought post-coitus Mateo was pretty hot.

When the cast was announced I suspected that the dad would eventually die.  That was partly due to what little I remembered about the original (though things change in adaptions, obviously) but the casting also made me suspect this.   It's not that Demian Bechir hasn't done US TV before but there was something about casting him that made me think he'd be one and done. 

• Love 3

Clearly we need another season, I need to know what happened to El Rey!

So how dead is Sky really? Mr. P and Gigi seemed convinced that she was dead, but maybe they only thought she was dead, but she was just knocked out and she got away? We still haven't seen a body, nor did we see them dispose of her...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Clearly we need another season, I need to know what happened to El Rey!

So how dead is Sky really? Mr. P and Gigi seemed convinced that she was dead, but maybe they only thought she was dead, but she was just knocked out and she got away? We still haven't seen a body, nor did we see them dispose of her...

Amnesia! Did they really get through an entire season without an amnesia story arc?

I skipped several episodes mid-season, so maybe I missed it?

• Love 2

GIgi: What? You got engaged?! Are you freaking crazy?
Carolina: I know, it's fast. But since Byron and I were already engaged, we can skip past dating and go straight to the fabulous wedding.
Gigi: Caro, he embarrassed you at your wedding. He punched Santiago in the face. And he's a little bit of  -
Yoli: Douchebag. Jackass. Uh, idiot. 
Gigi: Yes. All of those.

• LOL 3

Danny's level of snooping was laughable but compared to Javi's attempts at getting information out of Mr. P, Danny looks like a criminal mastermind.

Javi had the perfect excuse for asking Mr. P and the doctor if his mother was an addict. All he had to say was that he recently realized that he was an addict and since addiction often runs in families, he wanted to know if his mom had a history of addiction.

Hahaha, Byron torturing Carolina with talk about a camping wedding was hilarious. Normally I'm not a fan of people meddling in other people's relationships, but Gigi was 100% right that Carolina was only interested in Byron for his money.

I get Carolina and Yoli feeling like they aren't Santiago's kids, but at the same time, if you're worried about financial security you could, I don't know, GET A JOB.

I can't lie - I love how soapy this episode was. Santiago had an affair with Mrs. P and Jason is their son! Javi and Alicia's mom was bipolar and committed suicide! Bring on the drama!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

I'm glad that Javi wasn't upset about Santiago adding Yoli and Carolina to his will. I do think it's a bit unfair that Alicia is the only one of the FOUR kids who is actively participating in anything to do with the hotel (unless you count ordering room service or lounging by the pool).

I love that even with all the bombs that got dropped in the previous episode, we still got a major TWIST with Mr. P being the one who killed Sky.

I think the major lesson everyone should take away from this episode and the previous one is that keeping seccrets for the sake of "protecting" the people you love is always a terrible idea.

Jason is going to be devastated when he inevitably finds out that Danny knew Santiago is his father and didn't tell him.

I'm glad that Yoli is smart enough to realize that she can't trust Felix. Carolina still isn't there yet.

It's always fun to see Jessalyn Gilsig stirring up trouble.

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am aware that the lead actor is an Oscar nominee, but let’s be real, 95% of people outside of the Hispanic film scene have probably never heard of him.  This show needs more Eva.  

I know him from his roles on Weeds and The Bridge (which had a huge amount of publicity initially because of Diane Kruger's performance but he got a lot of positive press and was the other lead).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Javi wasn't upset about Santiago adding Yoli and Carolina to his will. I do think it's a bit unfair that Alicia is the only one of the FOUR kids who is actively participating in anything to do with the hotel (unless you count ordering room service or lounging by the pool).

Adding them to the will is one thing, but how the wealth is dispersed is another. His bio kids could get most of his money (after Gigi of course) and her kids could get meager shares. Now he wants to add Jason which adds (or subtracts) another share. Inheritances are generally not divided equally.

Edited by preeya
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Adding them to the will is one thing, but how the wealth is dispersed is another. His bio kids could get most of his money (after Gigi of course) and her kids could get meager shares. Now he wants to add Jason which adds (or subtracts) another share. Inheritances are generally not divided equally.

I agree.   You would think that the adult children who are working in the family business that has generated the family wealth would get a larger share and more percentage ownership.  That seems most fair to me.  But then again, every family's situation and dynamics are different.  I knew a family with 6 kids, only 2 worked in the business, 2 were stay at home moms and 2 were deadbeats.  Yet the mother insisted that each of the children receive an equal share because she loved them all equally.  She said the 2 in the business already get rewarded with large salaries and bonuses, the 2 that were moms shouldn't be punished for putting their own families first, and the 2 deadbeats were just misguided and needed to feel the love and support of the parents otherwise they would spiral into a bad place.  Go figure.

With the Mendozas.... I have absolutely no doubt that Gigi insisted that everything be shared equally amongst the four children.  And it seemed like Santiago changed the will again to include Jason?  Gigi looked displeased.  Wouldn't Santiago have wanted to have a conversation with Jason first to determine if Jason even wanted to be treated as part of the family?

I'm curious as to exactly how much net worth the Mendozas have.  I'm thinking it's nowhere near as much as Carolina thinks it is.  The hotel was in financial trouble and barely making ends meet.  They were doing slightly better with the flash-in-the-pan performances for a month or so from El Rey, but still not enough to get out of debt.  They needed Gigi to bamboozle $2 million out of Felix to pay off Peg Bundy since they didn't have it.  I'm guessing the hotel is doing well now and is profitable, but I would imagine the current net worth of the Mendozas (not counting the hotel as an asset) is fairly low.

• Love 1