Type keyword(s) to search

Grand Hotel - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Santiago: Are you [and Oliver] here together?
Alicia: We work at competing hotels, dad. It's not exactly West Side Story.

Great line.

Another was:

What are you, Cuban?
No, I'm Mexican. Why?

Uh, I was just trying to figure out where all this fire was coming from.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2019 at 5:19 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Alicia: Did you know people are calling me the sex police?
Javi: It's Sex P'Alicia and I may have started it.

This exchange had me laughing so hard.  Best lines of the series so far.  Perfectly delivered by both actors.

I'm really liking this show.  I like that the characters are multidimensional.  Even the ones that are ostensibly nasty (Gigi, Carolina) seem to have their human sides.  That is, everyone except Mateo.  I can't stand Mateo but I know we are not supposed to like him.

I'm a bit confused about Mateo's role.  In an earlier episode Mateo demanded 200K from Santiago and the implication was that Mateo is the man of whatever shady group loaned Santiago the money to keep the hotel afloat.  Then I believe we later found out that the 200K was to pay someone who was blackmailing Mateo about the secret surrounding Sky.  Then we found out it was Nelson and he wasn't necessarily blackmailing Mateo, it was both Mateo and Santiago.

So does Mateo in fact work for someone who loaned Santiago money, or was that just what was wrongly interpreted?

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind the plot to plant Helen into the Finn Hotel.  First off, she supposedly quits the Fontainebleau to go work at the Finn.  But Santiago is still paying her, she thanked him for matching Finn's offer.  So now she is getting paid double salary?  On top of that, Santiago is now paying her to do no work.  Surely somebody is going to have to take over her position as Head Manager or whatever her role is.  Seems like they will have to hire someone else or pay someone more and I thought the hotel was practically bankrupt?  Or is it doing better because of El Rey?  (Speaking of El Rey, are we to assume his concerts are still continuing even though we don't see him anymore?)

Secondly, I thought Santiago derailed the whole Finn Hotel by getting the construction cancelled.  So why bother to place her into a hotel that may not even open?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Secondly, I thought Santiago derailed the whole Finn Hotel by getting the construction cancelled.  So why bother to place her into a hotel that may not even open?

I didn't get this either. If she's so vital to Santiago's operation and she leaves for the other venue, who is going to fill the void?

• Love 1

This episode was fun, but a little weaker than the others and there was a bit more credibility-stretching (yeah, I know it's a night-time soap based on a telenovela, sue me). 

I can't help but feel that even though I really like all these characters, sometimes they come across like the pitch is "a group of lovable bumblers try to fake it to make it running a hot Miami hotel". 

I used to live in Miami and the egos among those who ran the hottest nightspots and hotels on South Beach were out-of-control huge. Someone like Santiago would SO not wander over to the construction site next door, hope to meet the owner and ask politely if he'd mind putting the construction on hiatus. He'd send a minion with a legal letter. And he and Gigi would REVEL in their being the last family-owned hotel on the strip. It would be in every news story about them front-and-center and they'd make damn sure everyone knew who they were and bowed down appropriately, mob-loan be damned, as they used that to fight back against the big hotel chains taking over. I really feel like the fierce vibe they'd put out is missing.    

Poor Javi. He's my favorite and my heart broke for him. I just wish that scene where Ingrid told him it wasn't his had gone on a little longer - it felt like he bought it and walked out a bit too quickly. He could have been incredulous for just a few moments more and she could've told him they never even had sex. 

It's funny, though, because even though I do think this show needs to kick it up a notch with the edginess, they do make these characters nicely rounded. I even felt sorry for Ingrid crying in the break room. What a horrible situation to be in. 

Uh, Helen? Even if you are conspiring with Santiago, I think you need to give notice before you leave your job and since you're seemingly so irreplaceable, wouldn't they need to find a replacement and have a hand-over period? 

Bye Heather. We hardly knew you. 

• Love 1

Poor Javi. He is such a sweet guy and he was so excited about having this baby. Of course Ingrid did end up having feeling for him and was miserable she had to break his heart, especially as he went on  about his sad backstory and how the baby gave him hope. I am glad that Gigi ran the paternity test, but maybe dont insist on telling him right in the middle of a huge benefit? In the honor of his dead mother?!

Aww Carolina isn't all bad after all. She does seem to love Yoli, in her own selfish way, and it was sweet seeing her immediately support her when she met her girlfriend. Did Gigi notice and look upset? 

Danny continues to kind of suck as an investigator, its kind of hilarious. Like, obviously Javi didn't get defensive because you mentioned Skye, he got defensive when you implied he was some kind of creep! I did like the bit where he told Yoli about his sister who is into girls, and how he would have been heartbroken if she felt like she couldn't be herself to him. It was a nice somewhat subtle moment, because he really does seem sad that Skye never came out to him or that they might not have been as close as he thought they were. 

It does seem kind of weird for the head of this massive hotel to just be chatting with foremen to find info about his rival, but I do think its in character, as Santiago takes some pride in still being in touch with his humble roots, and he is very much a people person, so he himself charming his way into information sounds like something he would do. 

• Love 2

I saw Carolina's being guided with an ulterior motive.  I'm thinking she's hoping that if Yoli likes women, all might be forgiven when it comes to El Rey. She sees an opportunity to be on her best behavior.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

This exchange had me laughing so hard.  Best lines of the series so far.  Perfectly delivered by both actors.

I'm really liking this show.  I like that the characters are multidimensional.  Even the ones that are ostensibly nasty (Gigi, Carolina) seem to have their human sides.  That is, everyone except Mateo.  I can't stand Mateo but I know we are not supposed to like him.

I'm a bit confused about Mateo's role.  In an earlier episode Mateo demanded 200K from Santiago and the implication was that Mateo is the man of whatever shady group loaned Santiago the money to keep the hotel afloat.  Then I believe we later found out that the 200K was to pay someone who was blackmailing Mateo about the secret surrounding Sky.  Then we found out it was Nelson and he wasn't necessarily blackmailing Mateo, it was both Mateo and Santiago.

So does Mateo in fact work for someone who loaned Santiago money, or was that just what was wrongly interpreted?

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind the plot to plant Helen into the Finn Hotel.  First off, she supposedly quits the Fontainebleau to go work at the Finn.  But Santiago is still paying her, she thanked him for matching Finn's offer.  So now she is getting paid double salary?  On top of that, Santiago is now paying her to do no work.  Surely somebody is going to have to take over her position as Head Manager or whatever her role is.  Seems like they will have to hire someone else or pay someone more and I thought the hotel was practically bankrupt?  Or is it doing better because of El Rey?  (Speaking of El Rey, are we to assume his concerts are still continuing even though we don't see him anymore?)

Mateo works for these presumably dangerous people that Santiago made a deal with to get a loan.  Santiago had to give him a job, presumably on their instructions, so Mateo could keep an eye on the hotel and their financial interests.  I may be misremembering, but I thought Santiago paid back $500K initially, and then Mateo asked for an additional $200K when he got the ransom note.  It's late and I could be completely making that up.  Santiago gave him the $200K knowing it wasn't for the loan sharks but because he was trying to figure out who the blackmailer was.  Presumably Mateo got that money back when Nelson died.

I don't quite understand the Mrs. P plant either.  What's the point?  She will presumably report to Santiago about the inner workings of the Finn.  But what can she really do anyway?  How will she undermine the Finn's operation?

Annoyed by the actor who plays Danny and his soap opera facial expressions.  Then again, this is a telenovela so maybe it fits.

13 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

I can't help but feel that even though I really like all these characters, sometimes they come across like the pitch is "a group of lovable bumblers try to fake it to make it running a hot Miami hotel". 

For sure but I kinda like that lol.

Bye Heather. We hardly knew you. 

Oh, I feel certain she'll be back to fuck Danny over at some point. Or maybe I just hope she will be!

This was definitely the weakest ep so far but there was still stuff to like. Notably the Jason/Danny/Yoli discussion and Carolina's reaction to Yoli/Marissa. Oh and Ingrid's gala look, which was absolutely stunning. 

In a way I like the the plots move so quickly but I also hate it lol. Danny breaking up with his girlfriend for Alicia just seems stupid. He barely knows her! And I'm really bummed they had Javi find out the baby isn't his already but that's mainly just because I really like Javi/Ingrid together and am very meh on Jason/Ingrid.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

In a way I like the the plots move so quickly but I also hate it lol. Danny breaking up with his girlfriend for Alicia just seems stupid. He barely knows her! And I'm really bummed they had Javi find out the baby isn't his already but that's mainly just because I really like Javi/Ingrid together and am very meh on Jason/Ingrid.

I'm trying to figure out how much time on the show has actually elapsed.  Has it only been a few weeks since Danny arrived?  We don't really have any sense of time on this show.  I get that it's a show but things just seem to move way too fast. 

It seems like two days ago, Yoli was pissed because "finally" a guy looked at her instead of the glamorous Carolina and she was definitely very much interested in getting together with the famous El Rey.  Now all of a sudden, we find out that she was interested in women all along and was dating Danny's sister.  Was the thing with El Rey an act?

And we don't even know if El Rey is still performing at the hotel.  If so, wouldn't his diva-ness have complained about the construction next door?

Javi met Ingrid like yesterday and found out she was pregnant with his kid, a week later they have fallen in love, a week and a day later he finds out she lied and storms off.

Not a fan of the Finn character, I think I just don't like the look of that actor (Susan's husband from "Desperate Housewives").  He just always looks like such a sleazeball.  I do like the English guy who plays Finn's manager, I recognize him as H.G. Wells from the short-lived "Time After Time".  Even if he's just supposed to be the temporary obstacle in the way of Danny/Alicia.

Speaking of Sex P'Alicia and her non-fraternization policy instituted by Santiago... I just don't think such a policy would fly in the real world.  Between employees and guests, yes.  Between employees and their bosses/supervisors, yes.  But a non-fraternization policy between ANY employees?  Just doesn't seem reasonable.  These people spend a lot of time working with each other, I just don't see why a maid wouldn't be allowed to date a waiter, or a massage therapist and a front desk clerk, just because they work in the same hotel.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Speaking of Sex P'Alicia and her non-fraternization policy instituted by Santiago... I just don't think such a policy would fly in the real world.  Between employees and guests, yes.  Between employees and their bosses/supervisors, yes.  But a non-fraternization policy between ANY employees?  Just doesn't seem reasonable.  These people spend a lot of time working with each other, I just don't see why a maid wouldn't be allowed to date a waiter, or a massage therapist and a front desk clerk, just because they work in the same hotel.

Wasn't that policy instituted because they found out about Javi?  Javi, although wasn't an employee at the time, is sort of de facto management as he's the son of the owner.  And obviously Alicia and Danny wouldn't fly in the real world.  But I agree, between employees at the same level, I don't see how or why they would care.

Can't stand Mateo, but I know we're not supposed to like him at all.  Paternity testing has come a long way.  Previously would need an invasive test while the woman is pregnant to obtain DNA of the baby.  But now I think it can be done through blood tests on the mother and the father.  Everything about Mateo is smarmy.  He could have sold out Ingrid, said that he wanted to be involved but she wanted to go after Javi's money, etc.  Lots of options for him.  Probably telling the truth would be best, but we know that's not going to happen.

What is the back story again between Danny and Sky?  Why were they in separate homes?  Was this a broken marriage and one kid went to live with each parent?  If this show were to live on for another season, what would be Danny's purpose for being at the hotel once they (hopefully) resolve this Sky mystery this season?

Seems like a rather small locker room for the hundreds of employees that must work at the hotel.  But interestingly, all the people of note have their locker in the same area. 

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

It seems like two days ago, Yoli was pissed because "finally" a guy looked at her instead of the glamorous Carolina and she was definitely very much interested in getting together with the famous El Rey.  Now all of a sudden, we find out that she was interested in women all along and was dating Danny's sister.  Was the thing with El Rey an act?

Looking back and I don't think Yoli was interested in him as much as she was just  happy he liked her more than he liked Carolina and that Carolina was jealous over it.

7 hours ago, greyhorse said:

What is the back story again between Danny and Sky?  Why were they in separate homes?  Was this a broken marriage and one kid went to live with each parent? 

They were in foster care. I don't know if we know anything more than that.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm trying to figure out how much time on the show has actually elapsed.  Has it only been a few weeks since Danny arrived?  We don't really have any sense of time on this show.  I get that it's a show but things just seem to move way too fast. 

Well we know Ingrid got pregnant before the pilot, and is not showing at all. That's the only real marker. 

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Looking back and I don't think Yoli was interested in him as much as she was just  happy he liked her more than he liked Carolina and that Carolina was jealous over it.

I think Yoli was mostly happy with the attention, she even said so in the episode where Carolina got El Ray to sing to her.  But she also could be bi.

• Love 2

I kind of figured that Yoli is bisexual, and leans more towards women. She did seem to be into El Rey, even beyond one upping Carolina. But maybe not, television is not always great when it comes to bisexuality, so maybe its just wishful thinking!

So did Sky use Yoli to get whatever information/thing that she thought could be good for her before she died? If Danny is upset that he didn't know she was into women, he is going to be even more miserable when he realizes that it sounds like she was kind of sketchy, or at least into some sketchy stuff.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

So did Sky use Yoli to get whatever information/thing that she thought could be good for her before she died? If Danny is upset that he didn't know she was into women, he is going to be even more miserable when he realizes that it sounds like she was kind of sketchy, or at least into some sketchy stuff.

Yeah, we don't really know at this point anything at all.  What exactly happened to Sky?  It certainly sounds like Santiago was involved in directing her disappearance.  So did she find out some family secret about the business from Yoli?  Something so disastrous that she would have to disappear for?  It's frustrating because we are many episodes in and we know nothing about her.  I suspect she isn't dead but will resurface at some point in this series.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2019 at 7:48 PM, greyhorse said:

I suspect she isn't dead but will resurface at some point in this series.

In the final I bet, as a part of a huge cliffhanger, and then the show will be cancelled. 

• LOL 4
(edited)

I highly doubt Javi's dead.  There's still too much we have to learn about him.  But I do worry about El Rey.  I like him. He makes me laugh.  But he's only recurring so he's just the kind of character they'd kill off, especially after he just jumped hotels. 

Gigi's "coming out party" reminded me of when the characters on Ugly Betty did it for Justin.  I'll link instead of embed since it's a different show but it's a fun clip. 

Ugly Betty Surprise Coming Out Party

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
(edited)

Fun fact:  the real fountainbleau in the early 60’s actually put up a building on the south end of their property to block the sun at the Eden Roc’s pool. The Eden Rocs view is a tall building with no windows or balconies. Well, only one window, so the owner can watch the action at the Roc’s pool. BUT in the TV show, they put the billboard on the wrong side. When Gigi and Santiago were admiring their work from their balcony, they looked right, the sun is in the left. 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Well shit, I guess Mateo does not actually know what "nobody gets hurt" means, or has a very creative way of looking at not hurting people. Poor Javi, iut has just not been his week! I figure that he will be alright, as he still has tons of story left in him, but I am concerned that El Rey might be at the big beach party in the sky now. He makes me laugh. 

I admit I was annoyed at Jason when he told Javi that the baby was lucky he wasnt his father. Yeah Javi was drunk and angry and probably shouldn't have called Ingrid a trashy bitch, but he has every right to be mad at her, and he is clearly wasted and heartbroken, it was just kicking him while he was down. Yeah Jason has a big crush on her, but Ingrid did a messed up thing, even if she does feel bad about it now. 

Gigis coming out party AKA her "Some of my best friends are..." party was hilariously over the top and cringy, but she did seem to be trying to be supportive at least, until she ruined it by yelling a Carolina story thinking it was a Yoli story. Ouch! I wonder where her first husband really starts to come into play? 

So Skye was a drug dealer as well as whatever she did to Yoli to break her heart? Girl was into about thirty different sketchy operations all at once! 

The other hotel guy is exactly the kind of mustache twirling villain we needed, I kind of hope he survived to be evil and creepy and petty again. 

• Love 1

There's no way they would kill Javi, Javi is one of the two younger male leads.  I think Ingrid loses the baby (giving her the chance to start over with Javi) and that possibly El Rey and Oliver are dead.

I'm still wondering about the timeline.  Last episode I thought Santiago had the Finn construction shut down.  Now not only did nothing become of that, but the Finn has opened and is fully operational.  It's Spring Break, so that could be anywhere from late February to early April, since colleges across the country don't usually all have the same Spring Break.  What was the date stamp on the hurricane?  How long ago was this supposed to have been?  Hurricane season is usually from about June to November.

So Sky was a drug dealer.  Doesn't really explain why Javi has a bottle of Oxycodone with her name on it.  So she has a prescription, and she sells him the whole bottle with her name on it?  I don't think drug dealers would sell people their own actual bottles, they would repackage them.  Plus Javi has a missing leg (not sure how long ago it happened) and if he needed painkillers he would just get his own, right?  They are trying to make us think Javi had something to do with Sky but I don't think he did.

• Love 2

Also, the Finn is done, right?  I can't see it not being shut down after a major accident like that.  Couldn't tell exactly what happened.  Looks like Mateo's thugs tampered with the balcony that El Rey was standing on.  That overlooked the walkway where Ingrid and Javi were standing at.  But when they showed a wider shot it looked like half the hotel had fallen down.

• Love 1

First it was Finn stealing the guests from Santiago by offering free drinks.  Then Santiago blocks the sun at the Finn with an El Rey billboard.  So Finn fights back by stealing El Rey.  And then Mateo's thugs apparently loosen four bolts and the entire stone balcony falls down.  Yeah, this Santiago vs Finn thing has really gotten out of control.  Guess Mateo has a different concept of nobody getting hurt.

I see some of the comedy in these two hotels battling each other.  But come on.  Miami Beach is a big place.  There's room for so many hotels.  Ludicrous that two owners would engage in this petty competition.

I can't see Javi possibly being dead.  Although it would be interesting to see how that changes the relationship between Santiago and Mateo, as Santiago would blame Mateo obviously for that.  Santiago said something to Mateo about how "he knows how [Mateo's people] take care of things" in a way that obviously implied they had something to do with Sky's disappearance.

Count me in as somebody confused as well as to why Javi had a bottle of oxy with Sky's name on it. 

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

First it was Finn stealing the guests from Santiago by offering free drinks.  Then Santiago blocks the sun at the Finn with an El Rey billboard.  So Finn fights back by stealing El Rey.  And then Mateo's thugs apparently loosen four bolts and the entire stone balcony falls down.  Yeah, this Santiago vs Finn thing has really gotten out of control.  Guess Mateo has a different concept of nobody getting hurt.

I see some of the comedy in these two hotels battling each other.  But come on.  Miami Beach is a big place.  There's room for so many hotels.  Ludicrous that two owners would engage in this petty competition.

I can't see Javi possibly being dead.  Although it would be interesting to see how that changes the relationship between Santiago and Mateo, as Santiago would blame Mateo obviously for that.  Santiago said something to Mateo about how "he knows how [Mateo's people] take care of things" in a way that obviously implied they had something to do with Sky's disappearance.

Count me in as somebody confused as well as to why Javi had a bottle of oxy with Sky's name on it. 

Read the history of the Fountainblue and the Eden Roc in the 50’s and 60’s. Fascinating (if you like that kind of stuff)

(edited)
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Mateo's backers didn't have time to do anything yet and the hotel collapsed from the cutting corners mentioned last week.

Me either, especially since it seemed Mateo and Santiago were only just talking about taking care of Finn when it happened. Did Mateo even have time to get this set up?

Helen and Santiago's plans to attack Finn were extremely junior high. How long did Helen think Finn wouldn't smell a rat after she hired incompetent Ingrid and equally incompetent food suppliers? This is the hotel management equivalent of making his face smell like a foot. 

I wonder who, if anyone, is dead. It looked like El Rey and his party friends all got off the balcony before it went down. Is this going to be Grand Hotel's Moldavian Massacre. 

Well done Danny! You actually managed to do some detective work successfully for once without being caught in the act! It's would be interesting if he took Yoli into his confidence about who he is. It seems like she might know way more about Sky than anyone and would be interested in finding out the truth about what happened to her. Plus it would be interesting to have the characters mix it up a bit in terms of who they hang out with. 

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Well done Danny! You actually managed to do some detective work successfully for once without being caught in the act! It's would be interesting if he took Yoli into his confidence about who he is. It seems like she might know way more about Sky than anyone and would be interested in finding out the truth about what happened to her. Plus it would be interesting to have the characters mix it up a bit in terms of who they hang out with. 

Good idea, but it seems every character has an ulterior motive about something or needs to hide something from everyone else.

Alicia: Were you just running away?
Danny: No. I was briskly walking away from a potentially awkward situation.

Jason: She was blondish, cuteish, she was kind of sunburnt, and she had a lower back tattoo.
Danny: Great. You just described half the girls here.

Gigi: Are you avoiding me?
Yolanda: Why would I do that? Could it be the stabbing pain of your rejection?

• Love 1

I really felt for both Gigi and Yolanda. Gigi was clearly trying to make things right after her initial reaction. I don't know if the party was the right way to go, but I appreciate that she realized she screwed up and she was trying to make up for it.

But poor Yoli. Her mother has pushed her away and constantly criticized her. And then her big "I'm proud of you" speech was a story about Carolina. It's no wonder that Yolanda feels like a second class citizen in her own family.

Finn is just the evil villain that the show needs. In the earlier episodes, it wasn't clear who the bad guy was so  was giving everyone the side eye. Now we have Finn as the mustache twirling bad guy who is trying to destroy the hotel, stealing Santiago's employees, and sexually assaulting Helen.

I love that the show is so unapologetically soapy and over the top.

And of course that means ridiculous timelines like Santiago managing to get a huge billboard printed and put up within a few hours.

I don't think the show would kill off Javi (despite the storylines that could create). Since this is a soap, I'm going to guess that he's injured and in a coma, possibly paralyzed. When he wakes up he will be sullen and push everyone away. Ingrid's magical tears will cure him of his temporary paralysis and they will reunite.

If anyone we know died in the balcony accident, it's probably El Rey which will open up the possibility of finding a new headliner at both hotels. I hope that's not the case, only because El Rey is so ridiculous that I find him hilarious.

The other possible casualty is Oliver which will cause Alicia to feel guilty about dumping his ass. Although that removes the obstacle for Alicia/Danny, she will insist that she can't be with anyone (I can totally see her going the martyr route: "Everyone I love gets hurt so I'm just going to be alone forever to pre-emptively protect Danny!").

• Love 4

Did anyone die in the accident?  Does my El Rey live?  (I didn't catch it in the beginning.)

It's interesting that Mateo showed up to check on Ingrid...and they worked for me. I dunno, I saw more chemistry between them than I saw with between Javi and Ingrid.  Plus, I like the fact that there's a little scheming in both of them..

I kind of hated the drug theme of this episode.  So many cliches and I don't think anything new was really there. I guess we found out how Javi lost his leg but it wasn't all that interesting.  We had the cliche "lets get him sober/withdrawal" scene.  We had the "I accidentally had pot and am acting silly" scene.  Even Danny and Alicia was a yawn.

The best part was Gigi using Mrs. P's high status to find out why Mateo was there.  And Ingrid and Mateo, surprisingly. 

ETA: Also Topher.  I loved that actor's web series.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Mrs P said El Rey was no longer performing at the Grand or the Finn or anywhere else anymore.  That could be taken to mean he died but I assume there would have been a bigger deal made about it. 

Gigi's ex is Adrian Pasdar?  Girl, you make that shit work.  

How exactly are the girls planning to hide him at the hotel  when the entire family (and probably some of the staff) know him.  

• Love 2

Yoli: Is that a hooker?
Carolina: Omigawd, I have that same skirt.
Yoli: So that's a yes.

Helen: Two thousand dollars for some Bruno Mars tickets? For that price, he'd better be singing while giving me a lap dance.

Gigi: [Santiago and Mateo] are always clashing.
Helen: That's just how men are. They holler, they fight, and then they go get a beer.

Carolina: And then I ended up going to community college for a year which was like going to a convention of total uggos. And did you know community colleges don't even have sororities?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I know Alicia was mad at Ingrid for lying about the baby and concerned about Javi because he was in the hospital, but I thought it was a bit much for Alicia to tell Ingrid that Javi almost died because of her.

I wish I could say that Carolina should be smart enough to see that her dad is clearly lying through his teeth about EVERYTHING but apparently having daddy issues means you believe every lie that comes out of his mouth.

Mateo's guilt is well deserved. When he said that no one was supposed to get hurt, I wanted to ask how he planned to control exactly when the balcony fell after those screws got loosened.

Is it wrong that I'm glad Ingrid miscarried? From a story point of view, now that everyone knows the truth (that she lied about Javi being the father), there's no point in keeping her pregnant (and as a longtime soap watcher, I don't need any kids on this show). Hopefully now she can get another storyline. I'm glad that Jason was rightfully disgusted when he found out the truth. Now he can get over his infatuation with her and move on.

As per usual, the depiction of drugs on tv is laughable. My favorite part was when Alicia told someone that drugs made Javi act differently. Uh, no. Your brother has been taking drugs for a while and you didn't notice any difference until after you found out he was taking drugs. Given how many bottles of pills that Alicia found in his room, I'd say Javi has gotten really good at hiding when he's high and no one in the family bothered to pay enough attention to notice any difference in his behavior.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

Mrs P said El Rey was no longer performing at the Grand or the Finn or anywhere else anymore.  That could be taken to mean he died but I assume there would have been a bigger deal made about it. 

Yeah, the "not going to be performing anywhere" certainly made it seem like he died.  But why no mention of it?  After so much focus on the Santiago and Finn rivalry, we didn't even get to see Finn again?  I guess the balcony fell down and the hotel is closed.  End of rivalry.

What father throws his clearly drunk son car keys and then let's him walk out the door?  Even right after Javi walked out and Santiago's pained reaction, why not run after Javi and not let him drive.  Unrealistic, no matter how much they were fighting.

Could have done without the whole Mrs. P and pot brownies cliché. 

So are Ingrid and Mateo going to get together?  Why Mateo's sudden interest in Ingrid now?

If there was ever a soap opera at night, this would definitely be one of them.

• Love 4

I was really disappointed in this episode.   No real follow-up to the hotel collapse.  They made it seem like a small inconvenience.  The least they could have done is add a line about people being killed/injured.   And nothing from Finn?  That's some lazy writing.  

• Love 1

So everything is just back to normal after the hotel next door freaking collapsed?! Are people dead or seriously injured? Wouldn't that affect the whole tourist industry in the area? Most important, where the hell is El Rey?! Mrs. P said he wasn't performing "here or anywhere" so is he dead? Hurt? Damn it, give me answers!

Danny thinking that the only issue of his relationship with Alicia was if Javi hurt his sister is pretty ridiculous, considering he is deliberately investigating her beloved family hotel, and one of her relatives could still totally be behind her disappearance. If anything, Alicia might be pissed his sketchy sister was supplying her drug addicted brother with pills so she could make some extra cash! Thats not his fault of course, but its certainly awkward.

As much as Alicia was freaking out that Javi was "totally different" on drugs, he apparently isn't considering how long he must have been hiding his addiction. the drug stuff and backstory between Javi and Santiago was all pretty predictable, but also really well acted and as Javi is my favorite character, I liked getting more of his backstory and that he and his dad talked some stuff out and realized that they were both stewing over things that they didn't need to be stewing over. 

Seeing Alicia happily hugging her "Aunt Gigi" in flashbacks was sure a trip! Well damn the twins dad is Adrian Pasdar! On the one hand, he is so obviously a bad guy and will break their twin hearts, but...Gigi its Adrian Pasdar!

• Love 1

I thought Adrain Pasdar looked hot as hell. Even better than he did when he was younger.

I'm getting scared because the past 2 or 3 eps haven't been as good as the others were. I really hope this isn't the beginning of a downward spiral.

I loved Mrs. P being high. Sure, it was stupid and cliche, but I love stupid and cliche! 

I find Ingrid and Matteo dull as dirt separately tbh so them together is like duller than dirt lol. Not here for it. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Surely if El Rey had died, the "influencer" would've known about it...?

Good point, although it certainly wouldn't be surprising if Finn decided to keep that quiet.  I don't think we've heard the last of Finn.  If we have, that would be extremely disappointing.  Maybe if this makes it to season 2 there will be a renewed rivalry.

In regards to the ex-husband... he suckers the twins into thinking he is a fugitive to get them to hide him in their hotel.  Presumably it's so he can get close to Gigi again?  We saw that friend of hers tell her he wanted to get in touch again, but Santiago said absolutely not.  So what is the plan?  He mooches off their money, hides in the hotel from Santiago, some sort of obligatory shenanigans of Santiago walking in on Gigi and ex in some unintended compromising position?

I'm enjoying the series as a campy summer fill-in.  But I do find the actor that plays Danny to be boring as dirt.  And his eye expressions which I'm sure he learned in acting school for soap operas bugs the crap out of me. 

• Love 1

It was annoying to me that they left the fate of El Rey ambiguous.  I know he's not going to be performing "here or anywhere" but why not just tell us if he's dead, or injured or something.  Also, I'm curious what happened to Oliver.  The Finn Hotel is done, and we are told that he and Alicia broke up, but she made it sound like he is still in the area.  If he had gone back to London, wouldn't they have said that he left?

Surely some people died in the balcony collapse.  Mateo is almost certainly a murderer.  I'm glad that Gigi found out about his dealings with Santiago because I want her to be the one to get rid of him.

Of course the perfect solution would be to have him be the person responsible for whatever happened to Sky.  Then we can be done with him.  I can't stand his sudden concern for Ingrid.  I really hope that she doesn't fall for it.  Now that she lost the baby she can get together with Javi, who I am sure will be back from rehab magically cured after just a week.

Stupid question... but what is Danny's last name, or what name is he using?  I know he and Sky grew up in separate homes in the foster care system... would they keep their birth last name of Garibaldi?  If adopted, I see the name being changed but a foster family wouldn't change the kid's last name, would they?  IMDB and the wiki list his last name as Garibaldi.  If that is really his last name, I would imagine he is using a different last name at the hotel otherwise that would be beyond stupid.

This show is objectively terrible but I am still hugely enjoying it and am not hatewatching in the slightest, which makes me feel quite unlike myself. So it's doing something right. 

I do not believe for one single moment that Carolina is an actual person who has a life when she's not onscreen.  Do she and Yoli have any other friends at all? 

It did strike me that Santiago's "I'm not ashamed of you/I just can't live with looking at your leg and knowing it was my fault" speech to Javi was pretty much exactly the same storylining as Gigi telling Yoli she pushed her away because she reminded her of Adrian Pasdar.

Helen appearing under the massage table was hilarious.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I find it interesting that both Javi and Alicia were super close and loved their Aunt Gigi over ten years ago. When Javi foind out about Santiago and Gigi, he became so furious that he calls Gigi  a gold-digger and he continues to this day to feel that way about her.

5 hours ago, nilyank said:

I find it interesting that both Javi and Alicia were super close and loved their Aunt Gigi over ten years ago. When Javi foind out about Santiago and Gigi, he became so furious that he calls Gigi  a gold-digger and he continues to this day to feel that way about her.

Aunt Gigi and Santiago got together real soon after the mom's death.  I think its disgusting on both their parts if you ask me.  I could NOT imagine my mom's bestie (auntie bestie) marrying my dad.  NEVER in a million years and if they, I'd probably never talk to my dad again, well that and because he dead.  LOL.  but you get my point.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2