Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Jennings, Elizabeth

Minor point, is this the first time we've learned the name of the travel agency?

My complaints aside, the Philip chase scene was very well-done and tense as hell.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose, but, a lot of the time it seemed that she was smoking in the early mornings and not wearing lipstick.  Also, would Liz really just throw her butts on the ground outside her house? I thought there was a container she used for them.  Hmmmm.....okay.  I suppose it's time for me to stop being so damned picky. lol I just resent how they give Stan these light bulb moments based on flimsy facts.  

Can you elaborate? 

Well, the FBI never particularly liked the CIA as it was created as a Cold War entity. The CIA didn't particularly like J. Edgar Hoover and his tactics. Furthermore, Hoover insisted on using his own agents internationally. Basically, cooperation between the two agencies was non-existent and they never really got there until the really 2000s.

• Love 6

I think that the OBVIOUS things that Stan didn't do, PLUS, the wonky things he did do, only add to the theory that he's not all that sharp.  But, then, even he gets a bone once in awhile. lol 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

Well, the FBI never particularly liked the CIA as it was created as a Cold War entity. The CIA didn't particularly like J. Edgar Hoover and his tactics. Furthermore, Hoover insisted on using his own agents internationally. Basically, cooperation between the two agencies was non-existent and they never really got there until the really 2000s.

Okay, but, what about Weisberg's bully pulpit, as you stated.?? I don't follow.

Finally a body count was mentioned. Hello, people dying at defense contractors with security clearances working on secret projects should've raised alarms and been investigated  years ago. And E's little girl calling her mommy a whore is not enough justice  for me.

Did they pull the motor on that washing machine or grease the floors because it looked E almost threw it out of the way to get at the secret compartment.It almost looked they sped up P's Olympic run at times.

When Claudia was talking to E and hands were out of sight under the table I thought for sure she would pull a gun on E leading to a struggle and someone dying. In coup or secret organization/faction I guess Claudia didn't have resources to put a hit on E at least yet.

They used P & E flashbacks more in S1 and now they have flashbacks? I still think E is still 'just following orders' type.

Was the phone call to Pastor Tim a set up for the final or give all the characters a final scene. I can see Paige winding up doing missionary/peace corp type work if things go sideways which could be her epilogue.

• Love 3

I suppose it's time for me to stop being so damned picky. lol I just resent how they give Stan these light bulb moments based on flimsy facts.  

I think the reality of Stan's situation is he has tunnel vision.  He is starting from the proposition that the Jennings are spies and is fitting their actions to support his assumptions.  It just so happens that he is right in this case.   

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

8I'm not convinced that the FBI will come out looking rosy in this. From a historical perspective, the FBI had a spotty history through the Cold War. They never really seemed to be able to fully catch up to the Soviets and outright missed Soviet agents in their own ranks ( nee Robert Hanssen and others). Furthermore, the tension between the CIA and FBI during the Cold War was quite substantial and even detrimental to counterintelligence. Maybe Weisberg is using his bully pulpit to rag on the Bureau.

8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can you elaborate? 

Weisberg is a former CIA employee. It is interesting that a former CIA employee is writing a show that portrays the FBI as being comprised of idiots. The CIA's track record is pretty spotty too, of course. The way it missed Aldrich Ames was as egregious as how the FBI missed Robert Hanssen.

• Love 9

I think there is pretty much zero chance that a show about Cold War espionage, co-written by a former CIA guy, could possibly end in the FBI being the heroes and winning. It would be historically inaccurate.

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay, but, what about Weisberg's bully pulpit, as you stated.?? I don't follow.

TV show= bully pulpit

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How did Stan know that the cigarettes he discovered on the ground were E's?  Could have been Philip's or Paige's.  Or do you recall if Henry told him that his mom smoked a lot in their car trip? But, Stan appeared to have only known of her smoking by seeing butts on the ground outside their house. Aderholt was none too pleased that Stan was stalking them. 

Here's the part about smoking that didn't make sense to me. Elizabeth usually smokes in the backyard. She used a flowerpot filled with something as an ashtray. From his house, Stan can see the front yard, but not the backyard. His comment about never having seen her smoke doesn't make sense. Based on the flowerpot, wouldn't he think, "oh, she smokes in the backyard." 

6 minutes ago, benteen said:

Minor point, is this the first time we've learned the name of the travel agency?

My complaints aside, the Philip chase scene was very well-done and tense as hell.

I could've sworn we saw it on the window in an earlier episode or heard someone answer the phone with the name of the company.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, benteen said:

I want to say we saw the signage on the outside of the building when Philip was talking to his client in a previous episode this season?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Cougar on the prowl in the DC area! Totally agree it was a little cheap to have Paige hear about a seductive older woman at a frat party and think ‘Gawd my mom is so embarrassing.’ (Also, isn’t that the plot of the new Melissa McCarthy movie?)

Don't bother going to see that movie; it was TERRIBLE.

Anyhoo, I couldn't believe it when Paige out and out called her mother a whore and asked if dad knew she was a whore.  I was a little surprised E didn't knock her teeth down her throat.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, benteen said:

Except for the fact that the FBI is too stupid to have had called in about  500 extra agents from around the country, in response to the greatest counterintelligence crisis since the Rosenbergs gave nuclear weapons technology  to Stalin. About 37 agents should have tackled Phil once he ran about two blocks. It was ridiculous. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Don't bother going to see that movie; it was TERRIBLE.

Anyhoo, I couldn't believe it when Paige out and out called her mother a whore and asked if dad knew she was a whore.  I was a little surprised E didn't knock her teeth down her throat.

E got a little heated, but, I don't think it was because of her calling her a whore, but, that Paige was so pampered that she had no idea how rough things can be and how that puts you a situation that you have to DO WHATEVER it takes.  Sex means nothing when you are starving, your life is on the line or your country needs something for its protection.  Those things just over Paige's head.  

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

And, wouldn't other agents and Stan's supervisors find it odd that Oleg sits close to Stan in his holding cell and chats in secret, hushed tones?  That kind of behavior would make me suspicious of Stan. 

There wasn't a camera. No one saw it. They pointedly focused only on the speaker hanging on the wall in the room.

Now, questioning the whispering I will buy into. But the listeners may have thought the speaker just wasn't picking up the sound very well.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:
11 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I was kind of waiting for Oleg to tell Stan that he would decode the message if / when his wife, son and parents had been safely defected to the United States.  Pretty sure that’s not even a possibility but it’s what I would have hoped for in my wish on how this will end for Oleg.  

This works for me, but if Stan made the offer, I don't know if Oleg would go for it. 

Not sure Oleg’s reasoning makes sense. It’s worth sacrificing his life and his family to protect Gorbachev. But it’s not worth sacrificing Philip? Maybe he because he doesn’t know how key the message is, but ...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Here's the part about smoking that didn't make sense to me. Elizabeth usually smokes in the backyard. She used a flowerpot filled with something as an ashtray. From his house, Stan can see the front yard, but not the backyard. His comment about never having seen her smoke doesn't make sense. Based on the flowerpot, wouldn't he think, "oh, she smokes in the backyard." 

I could've sworn we saw it on the window in an earlier episode or heard someone answer the phone with the name of the company.

Well, women's lipstick is usually the tell on whether a woman or man or was stubbing the butts out. Stan has been socializing with Liz for years, including while consuming alcohol. It is extremely unusual for a smoker to conceal the habit that well, and kind of a mistake by Liz to try to conceal it.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I understand why the flashback was needed, but my problem is that if we compare what we know about Elizabeth's background and motivation to what we know about Philip's, we know so much more about Elizabeth's than we do Philip's and I don't think there's good reason for it. 

I think we needed the E flashbacks now because she is questioning and changing now. Philip has already questioned and changed.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Oleg's telling Stan, basically, what an idiotic piece of shit he is was everything to me.  I've just never warmed to Stan, and I hope Renée kills him fucking dead next week.

scared.gif

I can sure understand how you feel about Renee and Stan. The big problem with that however is there is only one more episode remaining and I think that will not be enough time to do very much. I had one idea how the finald would play out and now it is more clear to me. But I think it is necessary to post remarks about predictions in the Predictions thread. So I will go there now and post my ideas there.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that the OBVIOUS things that Stan didn't do, PLUS, the wonky things he did do, only add to the theory that he's not all that sharp.  But, then, even he gets a bone once in awhile. lol 

I think the scene with Aderholdt  was a message to the audience to cut Stan a break. We all think he should’ve figured it out a long time ago, but the evidence he lists is so flimsy, it’s meant to tell us it wasn’t so obvious. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, renatae said:

She looked about 10 times more beautiful than I ever thought before. So I didn't recognize her either.

I totally agree.  I had no idea it was her until I came to this forum today.  

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, for people who smoke heavily, you normally smell it.  It would linger in the clothes, car and other items if you smoke that much. 

I thought she didn't start smoking heavily until the past year or so, so mabye Stan wouldn't have smelled it. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

I seem to remember that the CIA is supposed to have a pretty tight rope on operating domestically and the FBI has a tight rope on it operating internationally. We all know that lines get crossed but that's how it's supposed to be.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bannon said:

The guy Stan  reconnected with last week said Liz was smoking heavily years ago.

Smoking as her cover when she was with Gregory or smoking as Liz? Or is your point that if she had been smoking heavily as her cover, Stan still would have noticed because he would have smelled it even if the cigarettes weren't around the house or he didn't see her smoking. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

An actor does not get paid if the character is mentioned. They are paid for the number of episodes they actually appear in. 

I should have used a sarcasm tag.

4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Smoking as her cover when she was with Gregory or smoking as Liz? Or is your point that if she had been smoking heavily as her cover, Stan still would have noticed because he would have smelled it even if the cigarettes weren't around the house or he didn't see her smoking. 

My point is that she has always been a heavy smoker, so Stan would think it odd that she has concealed it as well as she has, for years.

• Love 4

Elizabeth told Henry a few weeks ago "I always smoked." I think Gregory's old associate was meant to reinforce that for us. "Like a chimney" seems like a tad much for him to say and more as a writing device to make Stan think of the flower pot full of butts than something that dude would actually have noticed about Elizabeth. Although I do think the first season had at least one scene of Elizabeth and Gregory smoking (weed) together.

• Love 3

Yes, the stress smoking at home seems to be a recent-years thing.  She would sneak cigarettes sometimes, but not like this.  I partly assumed she was more free to do this for the past three years, with the children not living there.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought she didn't start smoking heavily until the past year or so, so mabye Stan wouldn't have smelled it. 

They had dinner together, the night Paige went off in a disagreement.  E heard Renee gossiping in the kitchen.  It seemed Renee was familiar with E, so it's likely they had contact.  So, I suppose Renee never commented that E wreaks of smoke. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Marianna said:

I think the scene with Aderholdt  was a message to the audience to cut Stan a break. We all think he should’ve figured it out a long time ago, but the evidence he lists is so flimsy, it’s meant to tell us it wasn’t so obvious. 

I have no problem with him not catching on sooner. Never did. His flimsy list amused me. He really never did have much to go on. But I hope the FBI roasts him for it anyway. He’s gotten away with a lot over the years imo. Yes, he’s had some wins, but still. 

It’s every other dumb thing Stan did last night, particularly with Oleg, that I hold against him. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, kikaha said:
2 hours ago, JFParnell said:

Thought it was an odd oversight when, at the end of the episode, the FX voiceover robot was just casually intoning, "Stay tuned for scenes from the next episode of the Americans" Huh? Is someone asleep at the switch at FX? Why weren't they in hyper-hype mode: "Stay tuned for scenes from the SHOCKING -- YOU'LL-NEVER-BELIEVE-WHAT-HAPPENS -- SERIES FINALE of The Americans on FX!!!" Weird... maybe they don't want anyone to watch.

While you are right in general, in this case I doubt it matters.  Everyone who watches knows next episode is the series finale. 

This is true. We do know. I guess what surprised me was that I've never seen a television network that didn't want to yell at you about something in capital letters :) Come to think of it, maybe it's admirable that they didn't.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

11 hours ago, Erin9 said:

Another lol moment was when Stan asked who leaves his kid on thanksgiving. He was trying to make the point about them having more important real jobs, but he sounded like he was also taking a moral high ground. So- my first thought: you. Stan would totally have done it. 

I KNOW, RIGHT? For Stan and many other people, the job always comes first. How many times did we see Matthew alone in the house while Stan was working late? But somehow because Elizabeth and Philip did it once, Stan blocked out the memory of every time he worked late.

But his question did actually make sense, because it has an implicit second half. i.e.: unless their job is something more than a regular "earn a living" one. Stan did this when he was working undercover before and when on urgent counter intelligence task. but P&E are supposed to be travel agents. The fact that they did leave their children, strengthen the theory that they may be Russian agents.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Bannon said:

Yeah, and it didn't need to be that way. There were all sorts of ways to get to that place, of Paige becoming disgusted, that didn't require such a contrivance. Once again, it is kind of a shame.

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

The writing may have been better than most other episodes. But the idea that Paige would somehow be at the same place and time as the kid E had slept with and that kid then got drunk and spilled the beans in front of Paige was - IMO - absolutely freaking PREPOSTEROUS! The probability of that happening was just ludicrous.

These are switched up in the way I quoted them.  Oooops! 

Anyway,  I completely agree with both 10000%  It is a damn shame that they decided to play it in this preposterous and ludicrous way!!!  What is wrong with the writers/show runners??  I wonder if they seriously regret the waste that last season was as they now "have to" create dumb scenes so we can see Paige getting a clue.     

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JFParnell said:

Thought it was an odd oversight when, at the end of the episode, the FX voiceover robot was just casually intoning, "Stay tuned for scenes from the next episode of the Americans" Huh? Is someone asleep at the switch at FX? Why weren't they in hyper-hype mode: "Stay tuned for scenes from the SHOCKING -- YOU'LL-NEVER-BELIEVE-WHAT-HAPPENS -- SERIES FINALE of The Americans on FX!!!" Weird... maybe they don't want anyone to watch.

Maybe because no one is watching this show when you look at the ratings?

Yeah, I picked up on this too last night and thought that was strange.  It should be hyped up or at the very least noted that it's the season finale.  The promotion for the final season of The Americans has been a low-key affair, probably because the show is strictly a critical darling.  Critics have noted it but the show has never been a ratings hit.  It's ratings have been really low for sometimes and it's survived because its a prestige show for FX that the network loves.  It's sad because of how good the show has...it should have been a more "water cooler discussion" show.  It should have been a show that people talked about the day after.  It gets a LOT of discussion on this forum but still...it feels like this show is lost in a void with the general public.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, JFParnell said:

This is true. We do know. I guess what surprised me was that I've never seen a television network that didn't want to yell at you about something in capital letters :) Come to think of it, maybe it's admirable that they didn't.

There are no casual watchers of this show; it's current viewership only totals about 700 thousand, and absent the critical acclaim it likely would not have made through the entire story. That would have been a shame, because this cast has been a pleasure to watch, but I am not surprised that there was not a lot of hype for the final episode.

• Love 5

In retrospect, E should have just claimed she had the flu, couldn't leave her bed AND all were barred from her bedroom to avoid contracting it. Tough to get by Henry, but, they could have had him camp out at Paige's apt to give mom more rest and keep him from being exposed to it.  And, they could have likely even gotten a doctor's script from a friendly doctor to confirm it, along with a prescription for her symptoms.  It would have prevented all this mess. 

• Love 1

This episode had me on tenterhooks from the beginning. God, the SUSPENSE.

12 hours ago, Erin9 said:

Elizabeth grabbed the REAL WEDDING RINGS!!! Best part of the show. 

I found that so moving. Despite the real anger and frustration between them, Elizabeth isn't done with Philip yet.

11 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I figured Stan expected Tim to say nothing incriminating about P and E. He was listening for how Tim said nothing incriminating about P and E.

That was a great scene. Kelly AuCoin was amazing—you could see Tim thinking through all of his options. Given that I'm sure he knew how closely Stan was listening, I'm a bit surprised Tim didn't say something super oblique about Philip and Elizabeth. On the other hand, he wants to live.

11 hours ago, jjj said:

I was REALLY surprised the whole FBI did not blow up in activity when they heard about the murder of Russian Rezidentura officer Tatiana, who was found ten feet away from the official Russians with a poison blowgun. 

I give the show some dramatic license here, as there were a lot of reveals: Tatiana being the victim and the attempted killer (I knew it was she because we saw her in the "Previously"); Elizabeth saving Nesterenko and shooting Tatiana. That's a big moment for Elizabeth, and I'm glad it wasn't undercut by showing us the effect of it at the FBI. There's still time.

When Oleg and Stan were talking, the line from Sting's song "Russians" kept going through my head: "I hope the Russians love their children too." That song came out in 1985.

3 hours ago, scartact said:

And I haven't said anything yet, but holy shit, Philip breaking out into a full-blown sprint and the ensuing chase! I definitely screamed.

I KNOW. Again, the suspense of this episode was incredible.

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Paige knowing all along when her mother was lying...  hmm...  I guess I can see that.  And this time she knows specifically what about because she's asker her point blank about sex with the intern. 

I can see it too, especially with the steps we've seen. Paige asks about it in a general way (totally get why she wouldn't want to think of her mother doing that), Paige gets into a situation herself where it could/might happen and is told not to, Paige hears about Jackson's experience and the penny finally drops. It's similar to Stan finally twigging that Philip and Elizabeth might be the sleepers he's been chasing all these years.

(Side note: I can't remember if we saw it in the episode, but I know the previews for this ep showed Stan asking Aderholt, "but what if they were [Russian spies]?" and all I could think of was the late, lamented Grinder. God, I miss that show.)

34 minutes ago, Bannon said:

kind of a mistake by Liz to try to conceal it.

A lot of Elizabeth's smoking was for her various covers; doing it at home was a stress reliever. I don't think she was trying to conceal it as much as wanting to keep the smell out of the house.

• Love 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I did like that scene very much. But I also thought the show lost something when they got rid of the Rezidentura. 

Yes, I felt the loss of the Rezidentura very much the last few seasons.  I was excited to see Vera Cherny's name in the opening credits -- but what an exit!

4 hours ago, Novel8 said:

So Paige gets upset about a boy that was seduced by her mother,but okay to beat up or possibly kill someone, like that sailor...though, she didn't kill him, but caused it.

Her mother hasn't denied that people sometimes get hurt or even die because of her work.  But Elizabeth has deliberately lied, repeatedly, about using sex.  And she encouraged Paige to think of sex as something meaningful ("sleep with him if you like him, not to get information" or words to that effect), when she herself clearly views it primarily as a weapon in her arsenal.  Paige's outrage was about the lie, not about the sex.  Just as Elizabeth's outrage toward Claudia was about her lying.

4 hours ago, scartact said:

Sepinwall suggested that we should have seen Paige discovering what happened to Jackson and I kinda agree with that too. That would build at least that aspect of the narrative more tightly so that when Paige comes home to fight with Elizabeth, it feels less out of pocket.

I like Alan's reviews and thought about this criticism quite a bit upon reading it this morning.  But I don't agree.  I think the scene between Elizabeth and Paige would have lost some impact if we the viewers knew going in what Paige had already found it.  The story is really about Elizabeth, not Paige, so it made sense to me that we learned what Paige knew at the same time that Elizabeth did.

Edited by Inquisitionist
Corrected typos.
  • Love 9

As powerful as the final scene between Claudia and Elizabeth was, it was a bit of a letdown that both women let the other just walk away. IDK if I buy that. Both felt pretty betrayed by the other. Maybe we’ll see more next week, but with Elizabeth and Philip running, not sure. This might have been it for Claudia. Maybe she’ll be the ultimate survivor. In a world she hates. That’s sort of fitting. 

I still find Paige’s big wake up call somewhat deflating right now. She saw her parents as close to who they really are via accepting that they trade meaningless sex for information. Which I can see her on some level knowing all along. 

She also finally heard just how seriously real spies take fulfilling their mission. How committed they have to be. Elizabeth finally spelled that out too. No holds barred. 

She finally understood some of the destruction that comes from spying seeing this intern justifiably melt down. I get it. But- still seemed a bit off somehow. I can buy her running into him too given the set up. 

Maybe it just felt dumped in?? IDK. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

A lot of Elizabeth's smoking was for her various covers; doing it at home was a stress reliever. I don't think she was trying to conceal it as much as wanting to keep the smell out of the house.

My point was that Stan would think it quite odd to have been consuming alcohol with someone for years who is using tobacco that heavily, for stress relief, without Stan becoming aware of it. I actually thought that this detail was a bit of good writing. It's a credible error for Liz to have made.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Late in the game to be asking this, but who is this Sepinwall folks refer to? I can't believe I've left a stone unturned in my recap and analysis obsession.

Alan Sepinwall does reviews / analysis at Uproxx and has written several really good books about television.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

She finally understood some of the destruction that comes from spying seeing this intern justifiably melt down. I get it. But- still seemed a bit off somehow. I can buy her running into him too given the set up. 

I thought both Paige's boyfriend and Jackson were interns in Nunn's? office. It's completely believable that they would party together. The problem I had was with Paige suddenly putting it together just with "older woman" and "ruined my life". I don't remember Paige saying that he told how she ruined his life. Unless we are to assume he mentioned stupidly putting a bug in the meeting room for her.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Well, women's lipstick is usually the tell on whether a woman or man or was stubbing the butts out. Stan has been socializing with Liz for years, including while consuming alcohol. It is extremely unusual for a smoker to conceal the habit that well, and kind of a mistake by Liz to try to conceal it.

You reminded me of something I had forgotten to post.  

I don't remember Elizabeth smoking like a chimney when she was with Gregory- at all!!!  Didn't he light up a joint but she declined when she ended their friends with benefits?  She didn't smoke in that apartment when he confronted Philip about loving her. 

When was it???

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

I still find Paige’s big wake up call somewhat deflating right now. She saw her parents as close to who they really are via accepting that they trade meaningless sex for information. Which I can see her on some level knowing all along. 

And then, the previews...

Spoiler

...show her following along behind them (probably even with her backpack) with the same facial expression as when she was a teen-ager, which sort of drained the suspense of whether they could even get through to her with an escape scenario. What if the extra half hour in the finale is just 30 minutes of Philip, Elizabeth, and Paige riding in the car in seething, resentful silence?

• Love 1

Can anyone identify which direction that basement window is facing?  Back yard?

As of last week, we know Stan's bedroom faces the Jennings' driveway, so it makes sense that he would have noticed some of their late comings and goings over the years. 

• Love 1
(edited)

He put agents on all the garages to catch Philip.  (He did not know it was Philip, just the runner who got away.)

1 minute ago, misstwpherecool said:

What was the big lead or information on the safe houses when Aderholt put everyone them and garages was it? The priests?

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4