Type keyword(s) to search

John Constantine: Exorcist, Demonologist And Petty Dabbler Of The Dark Arts

(edited)

Is he British? Well, he's Welsh, but he's done British before (Criminal Minds: Suspect Spinoff), so Check!

Is he blonde? Looks blonde enough for me, so Check!

Is he snarky? He's from the U.K. where it's in the water or something, so Check!

Does it feel like what the comics have shown us? In the trailer, at least, it does feel that way, so Check!

Lastly, is he hot? Not a dealbreaker, but one can hope, right? He's nice to look at for 45 minutes, so yeah, Check!

Since we don't have much non-spoilery to go by, and I enjoyed his character in Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, I think I'm in. Unless the writing sucks.

eta: "to by" isn't an actual phrase.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

I agree with Jeff Alexander that Matt Ryan was great in his possession scenes last night! One of the cooler, unself-conscious bits of acting. Plus? Dealing with all the spit and drool and then the platform/harness thing when Constantine levitated? Very good.

I don't know why, but this is the second time it has happened: when John is restrained and unshod, I feel squicked out. It's not that John's feet are jacked up, but they are veiny, which probably plays a part. I already worry about him when he's restrained, then to see him barefoot? ::shrugs::

• Love 1

The exorcism was appropriately creepy, but there was a little moment at the end that I valued.  After Chas takes the keys and heads upstairs to drive Anne a way, and Zed left, there was a moment where Constantine just dropped the attempt to play through what happened to him, and he looked utterly broken.

• Love 3

The exorcism was appropriately creepy, but there was a little moment at the end that I valued.  After Chas takes the keys and heads upstairs to drive Anne a way, and Zed left, there was a moment where Constantine just dropped the attempt to play through what happened to him, and he looked utterly broken.

Matt Ryan really excels at the quiet-er moments. Also in the beginning you could really see the fear coming through that cocky façade he puts up

• Love 2

Anybody want to tell a new comer to the character what makes him tick?  I watched only the pilot for Constantine but he's headed for Arrow so I need to catch up.  What's important to know about his story?  I admit, I think I forgot most of what happened in the pilot. 

• Love 1

He has some incredible guilt on his conscious after his younger-self's ego got the better of him while he was trying to exorcise a demon from a little girl and accidentally ended up getting her banished to Hell.  It's left him fairly jaded and cynical, but it's also what drives him to try to atone for his past failures by doing what it takes to combat evil entities.  The TV series had him reluctantly investigating "The Rising Darkness", an awakening of an ancient infernal evil that was causing all sorts of bad supernatural activity over the world. 

The 4th episode of the show (A Feast of Friends) is probably the one that really let's you understand who Constantine is.  The last act of that episode is one of the best moments of the show imo.

• Love 3

The show itself could be hit and miss and it really did feel like it should've been on somewhere like Starz and despite my annoyance that the show practically ignored his bisexuality (disturbing pattern there from Goyer, also see DaVinci's Demons), Matt Ryan was perfect as Constantine and made the show's first and only season worth the watch. I also think he slotted in well in his Arrow episode as well and there's rumours that Constantine may be a regular in Legends of Tomorrow if that show is given a second season.

• Love 1