Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: White Car in a Snowstorm

Now that's more like it, show. Following last week's snoozefest, This episode was tight from start to finish. I was so impressed by the direction that I looked up the director on IMDB: Susanna White. Well done, Susanna!

Nice touch: Paul III getting turned away at the Getty gas station. 

Also: I'm sad that Bullimore's almost boyfriend left. Come on, Bullimore! You only have one more episode to go find that gardener and have more groovy gin-fizz dates. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I agree that this episode seemed to move much faster than most of the others.  I loved the glimpses of the mountainous scenery, with the winding roads, the snow and the view of the sea.  Even the 'calmer' scenes--mainly the ones of Chace and Gail waiting in the car for the phone to ring--were not boring, probably because of the dialogue between the two.  I also thought that the photos of the real Gail and young Paul that were taken right after his release were effective. 

ETA:  I forgot to add that I loved the scene with Chace calmly painting the brown suitcases white.  I would want him on my team if I needed help. 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

ETA:  I forgot to add that I loved the scene with Chace calmly painting the brown suitcases white.  I would want him on my team if I needed help. 

I thought about that and wondered how many people would be running all over town looking for white suitcases when they could just pain them. : )

• Love 2

And where did Chace find a white cowboy hat in Italy on such short notice?  Or did he paint that too?

JP2 needs to have his nuts cut off.  They're already gone in the metaphysical sense.  A more disgraceful character would be hard to find.

Hats off to the engineers who put that road in on a nearly sheer cliff.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I agree that this episode seemed to move much faster than most of the others.  I loved the glimpses of the mountainous scenery, with the winding roads, the snow and the view of the sea.  Even the 'calmer' scenes--mainly the ones of Chace and Gail waiting in the car for the phone to ring--were not boring, probably because of the dialogue between the two.  I also thought that the photos of the real Gail and young Paul that were taken right after his release were effective. 

The scenes between Chace and Gail were my favorites. These were 'calm' scenes as you say, but both characters revealed their quiet strengths and true character, especially when you compare them to Getty I and Getty II.

• Love 2

I was surprised to find out later in the episode that the opening scene was real--it had such a dreamy quality to it that I assumed it must have been, well, a dream. All the scenes in the snow were beautifully shot--Primo was right, all that white did look nice!

I want Fletcher Chase (as portrayed in this series) to be real. Calm and cool in a crisis, friendly, kind--Gail's right, he is strange but he's a good man.

Penelope and Belinda out! You go ladies! You can do so much better than that penny-pinching tyrant.

Voldemort deserves all the happiness in the world--let him find and run off with Dennis the gardener! Let JP1 rot all alone in that big house.

The pictures of the real JP3 really hit home how young he was. I think Harris Dickinson is in his twenties (and looks it) so it's easy to get annoyed with such childishness coming out of a grown man, but the real JP3 looked exactly like a dumb sixteen-year-old who puts together a half-baked kidnapping hoax would look like. It's a miracle he made it out of this whole thing alive, especially given his chopped off ear and his allergy to penicillin.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And where did Chace find a white cowboy hat in Italy on such short notice?  Or did he paint that too?

I feel like Fletcher Chase might be the kind of guy who just always has a white cowboy hat on hand, just in case. 

Agree that this was a good episode, the pace was quick, and we finally got resolution for Paul 3rd. The pictures of the real Paul made the whole thing really hit home,it just looks so young. No wonder he made so many boneheaded choices, he really was just a well meaning but dumb and impulsive kid. 

Run off with Dennis the gardener Bullimore! Getty Senior doesn't deserve you. You can still go off and run a farm stand together, where no one sets dogs on people! Even Penelope and Belinda are sick to death of his crap. Now Getty Senior is just stuck with the one young wife he has the least respect for. 

Gail and Chase have such a weird, but lovely friendship that they've built over this whole ordeal. He really is an odd, but good man. 

Love the touch that little Paul gets dropped off at a Getty gas station. 

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Now Getty Senior is just stuck with the one young wife he has the least respect for. 

It really doesn't look like he gives a flying fig about them leaving.  He can just go out and buy more!

23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Gail and Chase have such a weird, but lovely friendship that they've built over this whole ordeal. He really is an odd, but good man. 

ITA!  Too many times these types of male/female relationships have to involve love or sex but I really like the fact that they are true blue buddies.

I do find it odd that they just let JP3 go like that.  I think there is more to the story we'll find out next week, like some sort of agreement or arrangement.  Do these guys really think they are just going to get away with this scotch free??  No one is going to squeal on them??  I've read how the story really ends but I am curious to see what these series decides to do.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 3

Chase painting the suitcases white was awesome. There's a reason he's so good at being a fixer.

16 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Too many times these types of male/female relationships have to involve love or sex but I really like the fact that they are true blue buddies.

ITA - I love their completely platonic relationship with not a hint of either of them being attracted/romantically interested in the other. It's so rare to see that on tv shows or in movies. I spent all there seasons of Veronica Mars dreading the thought that they would try to make Wallace have a crush on Veronica. I was glad that they never went there because it's totally possible for a boy and a girl to be JUST FRIENDS.

• Love 4