Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Jake & Amy

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

That’s great. I love you so much.

I love you, too... Oh. You were talking to the patch.

I loved her expressions from the nicotine high. 

7 hours ago, scrambled eggs said:

The facepart acting by Samberg and Fumero was top-notch.

Exactly!

• Love 7

Was it the whole west coast or just Oregon where they cut to commercial in the middle of Scully or Hitchock's line and then came back during the middle of the wedding ceremony?  What did we miss?  AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!

I'm in Oregon, too, so can't answer your question. But AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!

For my money, it needed to be an hour-long episode, anyway, and then with that weird cut, I felt very cheated!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The problem is, if we really examine other episodes, Holt uses contractions all the time. I've decided to treat that trait as a one-episode joke, and not try to force it into long-term continuity.

Yes.  That joke didn't even hold up for that episode... Holt used contractions throughout. 

Unpopular Opinion: A lot of the exaggerated Holt-ness doesn't amuse me nearly as much as it seems it does everybody else.

• Love 1

All-frosting interior? That's disgusting. Who would eat that? Besides Jake and Cheddar, that is.

Gina's face when the car driver stepped out of her vehicle. Hilarious.

So glad this show is coming back. Thanks, NBC!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, SHD said:

I wish Doug Judy had showed up. It would've made no sense, but I still wanted him at the wedding.

Me too. And I was ABSOLUTELY SURE that it was Doug Judy who had called in the bomb threat. Because it's a sitcom, and therefore Doug Judy saw Boyle's announcement in the paper (because he keeps up on Jake) and knew that Jake deserved a crazy wedding day, and that the precinct would all come together to make it far better than it otherwise would have been, and that his wacky scheme to give Jake the best wedding ever would go absolutely perfectly.

I was also absolutely sure that the "wedding band" that Scully and Hitchcock found would turn out to be Doug Judy. I mean, how are Jake and Amy supposed to maximize their wedding night smoosh now? I'm just gonna go ahead and assume Judy left Jake a wedding night smoosh mixtape in his suit pocket. Or something.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Was it the whole west coast or just Oregon where they cut to commercial in the middle of Scully or Hitchock's line and then came back during the middle of the wedding ceremony?  What did we miss?  AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!

I'm in the LA area didn't have any problems with the broadcast. Sorry for your loss.

17 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

All-frosting interior? That's disgusting. Who would eat that? Besides Jake and Cheddar, that is.

Flattop and the Freak.

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Uncle Benzene said:

I mean, how are Jake and Amy supposed to maximize their wedding night smoosh now? I'm just gonna go ahead and assume Judy left Jake a wedding night smoosh mixtape in his suit pocket. Or something.

I believe Doug Judy did tell Jake in his prerecorded karaoke video that he did make them a wedding smoosh tape. It will give me an excuse to rewatch. 

• Love 5

I'm glad this show got picked up by NBC but if it hadn't I would have been fine with this as a series finale. I wouldn't have even minded not getting an answer about Holt's promotion - it would have been a nice little final joke about Holt's inscrutability, and it's not a major plot point anyway. I wish Last Man on Earth would have taken the same approach to their season finale, because this is how you end a season when you're not sure if you're coming back for another. You give your audience some measure of closure. 

• Love 9

That would have been a good series finale, especially if we found out if Holt got the promotion or not. That being said, I am so very happy that we get another season. Thanks NBC, your truly heroes we deserve. 

This show always makes me laugh, but it also frequently hits me in the Feels, and this was a great way for Jake and Amy to get married. They're such a sweet couple, and I love how much they love each others quirks, and how much they just like hanging out together. I especially loved when Amy made the in the butt crack, and Jake actually started tearing up and saying that Amy is his dream girl. And, more seriously, when Holt said he loved Jake and Amy, and they said they loved him too. Everyone was so happy, my shipper feels have gone into overdrive! 

"Oh Cheddar, you furry pig."

"Jake and Amy are getting married tonight! Title of MY sex tape!"

• Love 10

Wonderful episode. I also think it could have served nicely as a series finale, even if we never found out whether Capt. Holt ("H-O-L-T") was promoted to Commissioner.

Most of the other points were mentioned (including the one I just repeated), but one that wasn't is a favorite of mine. That's when Jake told Rosa and Terry that they could use force to get the dry cleaner to fix the veil. Terry is of course horrified, but, after he leaves, Jake tells Rosa to do it. The smile on her face knowing she's got carte blanche for this made my day.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Yeah, I'm in Vancouver, WA and was wondering that too. I'll probably just catch it on demand later.

I think the main thing you missed was Fred Armisen's Mlepnos saving the day as a musician for the ceremony - Scully and Hitchcock found him (so Jake's task to get them out of their hair for the day actually worked). Amy and Jake both recognized Mlepnos from an earlier case (back in the first season, apparently), and while he claims to not know them it turns out he's a delightful violinist. 

Sorry, Oregon & Washington! That stinks.

• Love 3
(edited)

Cold Open. Man, poor Jake. He was on top of everything, right down to distracting "Flat-top and the Freak" so they couldn't mess things up. And then some asshole bomber goes and ruins it.

Oh no, Teddy is in charge of the bomb squad. And I loved Amy's look of disgust when she first saw him. You wouldn't think she'd have that kind of animus against an ex-boyfriend, but it just makes her feel like a more rounded character. And she just continued to look disgusted every time he said anything. Also, her reaction to Teddy saying "there's nothing inherently creepy about a wall of Amy photos" needs to be used as the standard response to any creepy dude comments.

Again, this is a nice little trope subversion by the show. 'Lead couple about to get married, then drama occurs when her ex appears out of the blue!' Only here, she could not want to see him any less, and Jake is not remotely threatened or upset.

The little twist of it actually being Amy's arch-nemesis was predictable, but I loved the way Jake reacted to it. Briefly jealous, but then happy to be able to share arch-nemeses with his wife-to-be. 

The two of them were really, genuinely sweet in this episode. There's so much warmth in their relationship, and this episode was a great pay off to everything that's gone before. I'm generally not a fan of weddings, or wedding episodes on TV, but this really worked. Perhaps because of the characters, perhaps because they played around with all the TV wedding tropes without feeling like they "owed" the fans the clichés that usually come out of those tropes, or feeling like they needed to frustrate fans to keep them invested.

Their vows were just the right amount of sincere and funny, with Amy being the more irreverent one. Which is an important beat, I feel. Too many TV relationships revert to types, and have the manchild and the stick-up-her-ass somehow in  relationship, but constantly irritated by each other. With these two, Amy is just as capable of being silly as Jake is, and he's just as capable of being grown up as she is. They actually feel like equals. They are distracting and childish, but as Holt alluded to, that's not a bad thing. It can be really great.

I've got to say, Melissa Fumero was really rocking that tight top, for most of the episode, and she looked great in Gina's inappropriate dress.

Mlepnos making a surprise appearance was fun, especially with both Jake and Amy recognising him, and him refusing to accept it.

Regarding the guest star from a show I've never watched... not really seeing the big deal. It was clearly a bit for fans of that show, but I just didn't see any reason for Rosa or Terry to be so blown away by her. 

Holt waiting to open the email so he didn't distract from the wedding was thoughtful of him, but seemed to be motivated as much by fear as anything else. And what a great end to the season. I can only imagine how furious everyone would be if we never got to hear what the email said.... Although I can't imagine why we'd need to, when it was spelled out so clearly on Holt's face.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 14

Question: Why couldn't Amy wear her own dress? Only her veil was destroyed. (Or was her dress at the venue? Was that were she was planning to get changed? Ok..question answered. I think. LOL) 

Other than that, the episode was so good. I especially liked that the nemesis was Amy's and Jake was jealous for a hot second and then got over it. Their vows were so sweet. 

"Cheddar, the dog." 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Their vows were just the right amount of sincere and funny, with Amy being the more irreverent one. Which is an important beat, I feel. Too many TV relationships revert to types, and have the manchild and the stick-up-her-ass somehow in  relationship, but constantly irritated by each other. With these two, Amy is just as capable of being silly as Jake is, and he's just as capable of being grown up as she is. They actually feel like equals. They are distracting and childish, but as Holt alluded to, that's not a bad thing. It can be really great.

That is such a great point, Danny Franks!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Uncle Benzene said:

I was also absolutely sure that the "wedding band" that Scully and Hitchcock found would turn out to be Doug Judy. 

When they raced up at the end, I thought for sure they had come back with some super A-Level band, like U2 or Coldplay. 

• Love 8

"When we get married, we will share our bank accounts, life insurance, and our each nemesis" "Your just saying that to make me feel better." 

Jake and Amy really are made to be. Michael Schur can romance like few people on TV right now. I was basically Boyle that whole wedding scene, freaking out and crying with happiness. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Uncle Benzene said:

Me too. And I was ABSOLUTELY SURE that it was Doug Judy who had called in the bomb threat. Because it's a sitcom, and therefore Doug Judy saw Boyle's announcement in the paper (because he keeps up on Jake) and knew that Jake deserved a crazy wedding day, and that the precinct would all come together to make it far better than it otherwise would have been, and that his wacky scheme to give Jake the best wedding ever would go absolutely perfectly.

I was also absolutely sure that the "wedding band" that Scully and Hitchcock found would turn out to be Doug Judy. I mean, how are Jake and Amy supposed to maximize their wedding night smoosh now? I'm just gonna go ahead and assume Judy left Jake a wedding night smoosh mixtape in his suit pocket. Or something.

Oh, he totally follows Jake on Twitter.

Love how Boyle knows Gina would wear a white dress to someone else’s wedding.

21 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yes.  That joke didn't even hold up for that episode... Holt used contractions throughout. 

Unpopular Opinion: A lot of the exaggerated Holt-ness doesn't amuse me nearly as much as it seems it does everybody else.

Quelle horreur! But if you will admit that, I will admit that I don’t like Terry and Rosa as much as everyone else here does. [ducking]

• Love 8
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Oh, he totally follows Jake on Twitter.

Love how Boyle knows Gina would wear a white dress to someone else’s wedding.

Quelle horreur! But if you will admit that, I will admit that I don’t like Terry and Rosa as much as everyone else here does. [ducking]

Haha!  I'm with you on Rosa (although she does have her moments)... but we have to part ways with Terry.  I love me some Terry Crews!

• Love 4
On 5/20/2018 at 11:19 PM, SHD said:

I'm really bad at callbacks and have no idea why they knew Fred Armisen's character.

He shows up again in another episode and sings a song about a dog losing his virginity. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, SHD said:

When they raced up at the end, I thought for sure they had come back with some super A-Level band, like U2 or Coldplay. 

I was hoping for the Backstreet Boys to sing “I Want It That Way.”

• Love 12

I'm way more lowbrow than you all. I thought they were going to show up with that band with Amy's ex, the one they already had to cancel earlier this season.

Yours all's ideas are much better.

I was OK with Fred as street violinist, though. I usually dislike Armisen, but as a realistic find, it made sense and was a good moment for everyone.

• Love 5

This show always makes me laugh, but it also frequently hits me in the Feels, and this was a great way for Jake and Amy to get married.

Let's not forget poor Charles, too horrified at the thought that he was responsible because he put that announcement in the paper that included the venue. When they finally found the bomber and the bomber assured him that yes, without that announcement, he would have given up trying to find the venue, Charles' anguish was confirmed. Charles has such hero worship for Jake it would be off-putting in almost any other scenario or for any other character, but somehow this show manages to make it sweet (and only occasionally slightly creepy but still funny).

So apparently not many of us remember Fred Armisen appearing before on this show so I'd have to rank that gag as a fail. What was the joke behind Jake and Amy calling him by name and him pretending that wasn't his name? Why did he keep denying who he was? Amy even seemed pretty friendly to him when she just casually called out "Hi Mlepnos!" so it didn't seem like he'd  have something to fear from them.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So apparently not many of us remember Fred Armisen appearing before on this show so I'd have to rank that gag as a fail. What was the joke behind Jake and Amy calling him by name and him pretending that wasn't his name? Why did he keep denying who he was? Amy even seemed pretty friendly to him when she just casually called out "Hi Mlepnos!" so it didn't seem like he'd  have something to fear from them.

I certainly remembered him. Back in the first season, they did a few of those gags where they'd go knocking on doors, and Mlepnos was the weirdest customer they came across. As for him denying they knew him, it was just supposed to be part of the weirdness of the character. He was always squirrelly and odd. It could be that they're alluding to him being in the country illegally, it could be that he's a criminal, or he could just be a comedy oddball.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So apparently not many of us remember Fred Armisen appearing before on this show so I'd have to rank that gag as a fail.

Schur & co. did the same gag on the P&R finale. They brought back Jon Daly (who played a drunk in the park), from the pilot episode.

Most people didn't get that one, either.

• Love 3

And so Brooklyn Nine-Nine ends.... on FOX, that is!  Thanks for that, NBC!

I do think that this episode could have served as a solid series finale, if need be.  I obviously knew Jake and Amy's wedding would somehow end up going through a crisis only to work out, but I enjoyed seeing it all play out.  I honestly didn't even think about Teddy factoring in (my money was on The Vulture somehow getting involved), but I thought he was a fun foil again, and I liked that they avoided making him actually be behind the bombing and even though he was a tool about it, he was actually right on some levels about taking it serious, even if he was probably dragging it all out to be a dick.

I do remember Fred Amerson's character being in the pilot, so that was fun to see as well.  And, of course, Cheddar!  Every show could use a Cheddar!

I've heard that Jane the Virgin is down to its last season, so hopefully Gina Rodriguez will be able to show up again for an episode or two.  Obviously really didn't a get a sense of how she and Rosa will interact, but I was already getting a kick out of how much Rosa was crushing on her.  And then Terry playing matchmaker at first, only to get annoyed about it once he lost the wedding veil.  Hee!

Hey, Boyle's obsession with Jake pays off here!

The wedding itself was great and I really liked how the vows played out.  It really did remind me of how the pilot and earlier episodes were, and how things have change not just in Jake and Amy's relationship, but their personalities as well.  At first, Jake was a typical selfish, annoying man-child who cared only about himself, and while he's still immature at times now, he's clearly grown as a person, and is very selfless and loving with everyone, especially Amy.  Meanwhile, Amy; the character who started out as a "stick in the mud" foil; is someone who not only was fine with their wedding cake being the shape of Nakatomi Tower, but she's the one who ends up making "your butt is the bomb" joke.  I love it and I really think this couple will remain strong.  Thanks to the writing and Andy Samberg and Melissa Fumero's chemistry, Jake and Amy is one of the few couples that I truly love.

I knew they were going to be evil and hold off on answering if Holt got the commissioner job or not.  I can see it going either way.  Obviously, he isn't going anywhere, but I can see him getting the job and them finding ways to keep having him interact with the Nine-Nine, and having a new person as the captain or maybe/hopefully promoting Terry instead.  At least we get to find out!

I'll try to be generous and at least thank FOX for giving this show five seasons to enjoy.  But I'm so glad that NBC picked it right back up after FOX decided it was done with it.  Thank you again, NBC, for allowing the stories of Jake, Amy, Holt, Rosa, Terry, Boyle, and the rest to continue!

• Love 10

A little nitpick. Or, it might be my memory's shot to hell. Didn't they have that other venue reserved once the Vulture's engagement blew up?

I can see next season, if H-O-L-T gets the Commissioner's gig, Gina joining him. Terry gets promoted to Captain (although that would have him leaping over Lt. Still, Holt is going from Captain to Commissioner, so not outside the realm of possibility). Terry's promotion would allow for Amy to Terry's old job.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

A little nitpick. Or, it might be my memory's shot to hell. Didn't they have that other venue reserved once the Vulture's engagement blew up?

No, The Vulture kept his booking at the original venue (and hosted a block part of some description) just to be a dick because they blew up his engagement.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2

I'd just like to point out that we've met two of Amy Santiago's former love interests and they're BOTH still completely obsessed with her, to the point that they wanted to win her back on her wedding day. Which, honestly, can you blame them?

• Love 11
On 2018-05-23 at 12:50 PM, Loandbehold said:

I can see next season, if H-O-L-T gets the Commissioner's gig, Gina joining him. Terry gets promoted to Captain (although that would have him leaping over Lt. Still, Holt is going from Captain to Commissioner, so not outside the realm of possibility). Terry's promotion would allow for Amy to Terry's old job.

We know Terry was practicing for the Lieutenant Exam way back in season 3 (the mumps episode), so he could be promoted over hiatus. And they're obviously very different shows, but I'm willing to hand-wave Olivia Benson running Manhattan SVU as a lieutenant so I can do the same for Terry.

17 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Please don't compare the two shows. One is a cartoonish exaggeration of an NYPD detective squad that bears no resemblance to actual police work and is filled with crazy incompetent characters who would have been fired long ago, but somehow we are supposed to believe are great investigators who solve all sorts of huge cases. And the other is Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Brilliant!

• Love 2
On 6/6/2018 at 8:00 AM, wknt3 said:

Please don't compare the two shows. One is a cartoonish exaggeration of an NYPD detective squad that bears no resemblance to actual police work and is filled with crazy incompetent characters who would have been fired long ago, but somehow we are supposed to believe are great investigators who solve all sorts of huge cases. And the other is Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

LOL. This comparison sounds like the ones Craig Ferguson used to always do on his late night show. I've been reminiscing about him lately. 

• Love 2

I wouldn’t consider myself overly sentimental, but damn if I wasn’t sobbing like a baby when they got to the actual wedding. 

The only thing I didn’t like was Charles. I’m totally over his hero worship of Jake.  It’s getting obsessive and creepy. Telling Amy to thank him by getting pregnant. Saying he’ll kill himself if he’s ruined the wedding. He was even more annoying than Gina and that’s saying something. 

• Love 1

Mr Monkey and I just finished a B99 binge because it's a couple months before the show's back.

I hardly ever like romantic pairings on sitcoms, because they always seem so contrived, forced and ratings-focused. But I HEART Jake and Amy and love the way they seem like a real couple. The only thing that bothered me about the quickie wedding was that Jake and Amy didn't get their parents there, or Charles didn't, when he said give me half an hour. I'm thinking it didn't matter (?) because they were going to go to city hall, but it bugged me a little bit anyway. And I'm seriously wanting to get to know Amy's brothers. I mean, we had a whole episode devoted to one of Jake's half sisters.

I LOVE Charles, but agree with Ceindreadh regarding the obsessiveness vis a vis Jake. That needs to be dialed back, more like when Charles first adopted Nikolaj and seemed to be slightly less invested in Jake, which was fine with me. They can still be best friends; I think it's interesting that they ARE bffs, because they are so different from each other.

So in summation: keep giving us the Jake and Amy; more Holt, Kevin, and Cheddar the Dog; more of the minor players, from time to time. They're a great ensemble. I will miss Gina if she's NEVER on the show, so even though I know she said she's not going to be regular, I do hope she drops by from time to time. If she can be nice to Amy.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

I hardly ever like romantic pairings on sitcoms, because they always seem so contrived, forced and ratings-focused. But I HEART Jake and Amy and love the way they seem like a real couple. The only thing that bothered me about the quickie wedding was that Jake and Amy didn't get their parents there, or Charles didn't, when he said give me half an hour. I'm thinking it didn't matter (?) because they were going to go to city hall, but it bugged me a little bit anyway. And I'm seriously wanting to get to know Amy's brothers. I mean, we had a whole episode devoted to one of Jake's half sisters.

I think that's one of the problems with casting biggish names as family members. It might be tough to get Bradley Whitford and Jimmy Smits and Katey Sagal, just for the few minutes that they might be needed in an episode. So they just try to ignore the fact that they're not at Jake and Amy's wedding.

I really want to see Amy's brothers too, and had a bit of fun casting them, somewhere in this sub-forum. It's a shame Amy doesn't have a sister, because Selena Gomez has offered to guest star in season 6 (she's friends with Andy Samberg), and she'd make a good younger sister for Amy. As well as bring the show some nice publicity.

• Love 3

I love Jake and Amy because it shows how to do romance on a sitcom, especially one with a "man-child" like Jake, properly.  Jake can put Amy ahead of himself, he never belittles her (other than in fun ways -- see "Title of Your Sex-Tape") , he genuinely  cares for her.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:32 AM, PepperMonkey said:

Charles first adopted Nikolaj

That's "Nikolaj".

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 11/15/2018 at 11:44 PM, jhlipton said:

I love Jake and Amy because it shows how to do romance on a sitcom, especially one with a "man-child" like Jake, properly.  Jake can put Amy ahead of himself, he never belittles her (other than in fun ways -- see "Title of Your Sex-Tape") , he genuinely  cares for her.

What I love about Jake and Amy (and I'm not usually a shipper of canon ships), is the way that although they're both such different personalities, they're both willing to take on the best bits of each other, without changing themselves completely.  For example, Amy's vows in this episode, where she's serious for the most part but ends with the joke Jake was making earlier.  (the clip came up on my recommended videos on YouTube and damn if I didn't tear up all over again)

• Love 4
On 5/20/2018 at 10:15 PM, bethy said:

This was when I teared up. Her quoting him after their initial exchange about that exact line and Jake crying and saying “You’re my dream girl”? So perfect.

So utterly perfect. This show's mastery of tone amazes me.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, Trillium said:

No you cried when Charles opened the door to the wedding. It certainly wasn’t me!!! It  was beautiful. 

Well, I certainly didn't become a wet-faced mess watching Boyle squirm with uncontainable joy. No. (I can't decide which I loved more: that or the "permission to say it back?")