Type keyword(s) to search

The Circus - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Absolutely loving it so far. I love election years and I eat up election news like there's no tomorrow. So I really enjoyed the minutiae this show is displaying - the moments before a  candidate goes on stage, sitting in hotel rooms, the newsroom scenes, Bernie walking through a subway station, etc. I can see why it would turn people off if they're not interested in all that.

So far it's a lot like that Mitt documentary on Netflix - politics displayed in a soft lens. Not a hardball documentary by any means so far, but that's to be expected. None of the real behind the scenes drama is going to come out until after the election is in the can (although reading carefully between the lines you can see narratives starting to form).  Hopefully Heilemann and Halperin will Game Change this election too. In many  ways I'm finding this cycle more dramatic than 2008, and that's really saying something.

If nothing else, this episode made me soften a bit toward Ted Cruz and I think he comes off as an insufferable prick everywhere else, so good on The Circus for that. Also liked seeing Jane Sanders. I couldn't have picked her out of a lineup with only one option before this episode.

The production team must be getting absolutely no sleep. I recognize some speeches/rallies that had to have taken place as late as last week. I like that it's fairly close to real time. Will make it less awkward as candidates continue to drop like flies yet they're still shown in footage as hopefuls.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

Another solid episode. I'm amazed by how charming I find some of the GOP candidates seem while doing these events, because I find them insufferable otherwise. I guess they didn't get this far by being dull.

Once again I notice the post-production team must be running on absolutely no sleep, because some of the events in the episode had to have taken place as late as last week. Halperin and Heilemann must have the stamina of marathon runners to constantly be on the go like this.

I find it amusing how campaign events are in random stores, restaurants, and what looked like a factory. I would kill to live in a hotly contested state. It would be fun to attend these events.

Shut up, Chris Christie. You too, Marco Rubio. Speaking of, he looked like death warmed over this episode. Looks like he needs a good nap.

John Kasich was pretty adorable. He's probably the only GOP candidate I'd ever vote for. But I think the prisoner's dilemma is real. One of the four establishment candidates needs to bow out already.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

Trump auditions Chris Christie, Mike Pence and Newt Gingrich for vice president; Clinton considers Tim Kaine . . .

Loved the story about Bill Clinton's initial sit-down with Al Gore.  Paul Ryan putting on camo gear and crawling on his belly through his backyard?  Eek.

Kellyanne Conway was just as coy and transparent as when she appeared on Real Time With Bill Maher.  Yeah, why would anyone ever bother to get a voter read on vice-presidential candidates?  Spin that bonehead move, Kellyanne!

Agree that the Clinton-Warren combo standing on the stage was electrifying.  I have to think about whether I agree that "boring" translates into "stability" for her ticket.

• Love 1

I watched tonight while I was dusting and folding laundry and it held my interest. (Not meaning to damn with faint praise.) Alex Wagner is always good: I'm usually meh regarding McKinnon. Never liked Halperin, here or anywhere. Hoo boy, my man Heileman was one-on-one with a Russian Kellyanne Conway/Sara Sanders; IIRC she's the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Another Russian woman quite strongly spoke out against her government. I missed her intro so don't know who she is. And Zuckerberg, of course, because of FB's prominence in the events. I was sorta bummed that it was only 30 minutes.

I'm not even sure which season this is.  Seems like they've had at least two hiatuses before.

In any event, lets see if they can come up with something more than a lot of shots of them eating at nice restaurants, with a lot of pictures of food prep.

Anyways, that woman who called Russian leaders mad is brave.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2018 at 2:17 AM, suomi said:

Hoo boy, my man Heileman was one-on-one with a Russian Kellyanne Conway/Sara Sanders; IIRC she's the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

She was a tough cookie alright.  Go check out the extended interview: she said a throwaway "Thank God" when John said something about Trump being elected president.  John tried and tried to pin her down on if she/Russia was actually happy but she walked it back as much as she could after such a slip.  Wish it'd made the episode!

On 4/16/2018 at 2:17 AM, suomi said:

Another Russian woman quite strongly spoke out against her government. I missed her intro so don't know who she is.

She worked in Russia's secret social media 'troll farm".  Scary Russian woman really wanted her name!

• Love 1

It was fascinating to witness from a first person perspective Avenatti revealing the bombshell information and  monitoring how it made ripples through various types of media. 
Hopefully Donny Deutsch's comment that at some point Avenatti may find himself juggling knives will never come true. So far, he appears remarkably competent at his job though, things seem to get bigger and more complicated.

Maybe I'm too sensitive but it's truly frightening and disheartening that I cannot bear any of these 'let's talk to Trump rally people and listening to what they are saying' segments regardless of which show does. It's a completely different kind of frustration from listening to politicians and pundits spewing bullshit talking points, it makes me feel like crying.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, sum said:

Maybe I'm too sensitive but it's truly frightening and disheartening that I cannot bear any of these 'let's talk to Trump rally people and listening to what they are saying' segments regardless of which show does. It's a completely different kind of frustration from listening to politicians and pundits spewing bullshit talking points, it makes me feel like crying.

I always like to hear what the supporters have to say.  They don’t say much (ok, anything) I agree with, but I like knowing where a person is coming from so a constructive dialogue can occur at some point (at least from me).

I didn’t know there was a thread for this.

I watch it but they rarely offer insights or stake out positions.  Of course they want as much access to political figures from both sides so the show doesn’t offer much that cable talk shows haven’t already covered during the week.

Give them credit for doing a lot of legwork, flying all over the place.  Though maybe they let Alex Wagner stay close to home since she’s pregnant.

But they also have other TV gigs and appearances so rather than do this year round, they seem to do it for a couple of months at a time.

I guess the other major part of their budget is to pay restaurants all over the country to let them film.  Not only of the star reporters eating but filming in the kitchen.

So star TV reporters travel a lot and eat well.  

• Love 2

Sorry, Mark, but the only appropriate place to where a hat indoors is in an elevator.  I don't care how short you are, it does not make you look taller.  It makes you look like an idiot.  Especially in the Halls of Congress.

I will never understand what role Alex plays:  MMmm, this food is so good;  Do you really think that?; Is that what they're saying?

I think she's highly qualified, but underused on this show. 

This is the first time I've bothered to watch, mostly because it popped up first when I opened the Showtime app, and I was underwhelmed.  Very disappointed since I'm a big John Heilemann fan.  They could have had any generic reporters out there.  I didn't hear anything I didn't already know. 

On 9/29/2019 at 11:17 PM, scrb said:

Alex with the joke about powder on beignets and 1986 powder.

That, however, was a decent joke.  Of course, she was in grade school in the 80s.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

That, however, was a decent joke.  Of course, she was in grade school in the 80s.

I'm sure they have writers and they're not filming those scenes in one take.

Either they rehearse lines or say their lines  more than once or both.

I mean the blocking for those scenes, with the closeups of the food and the lighting perfect on all those people are not done impromptu.

I wonder if those walk-bys in Congress are also planned out.  I'm sure the camera and lighting crew set up there ahead of time.  But do the members of Congress walk by just once?  Do they have makeup on?

Because my sense is if you have a bunch of different reporters, they'd all shout out to get their questions heard and answered.  But on this show, they seem to defer to the hosts of this show in these situations, which would seem like it would be a free for all.

There was that time Alex was waiting for Biden but didn’t get a chance to ask him anything. The only sound bite they got (regarding the Hunter Biden/Ukraine situation) was from another reporter’s question, if I’m remembering correctly.

ETA: But I agree re: the restaurant scenes are scripted or rehearsed or both.

BTW, I also noticed what seemed to be special attention that Alex, Mark, and John get whenever they are in a gaggle of reporters, so this particular snub by Biden stuck in my mind.

Edited by link417

Can someone please tell Alex to stop buying glasses that are too big for her face?

Also, I'm surprised last night's episode is the last for a while.  I mean, the impeachment hearings would be a ripe situation for this show.  A big miss.

Those glasses are probably some absurdly expensive designer glasses.

They seem to just cobble together like half a dozen to a dozen episodes at a time, during which time they have to travel around to film the pieces.

But rest of the time, they're busy doing other shows so maybe they're not willing to commit more time.  Or Showtime is unwilling to pay them more than for a few episodes at a time.

They probably prefer to be around Washington or wherever they live most of the time.

• Love 1

Really love this show, great insights and I feel the reporters really seem to stay relatively 'objective'. It's hard to tell which candidate, they themselves, are leaning towards. 

The show should be longer and on every week. There is enough to cover. It feels like Showtime airs a few episodes in between a lot of long hiatuses.

Ps. I love Alex's glasses and have been Googling my ass off to find out the brand.

• Love 1