Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E24: Live Semifinal Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The top three are revealed as safe by America's votes and advance to the finale.  The bottom two artists are eliminated by America's votes.  The middle three artists perform for the final Instant Save, and two more are eliminated.

Discuss this one-hour results show here.

• Love 1

Well Rayshun is put out of his/our misery, thank goodness.  I haven't watched many episodes but who is that shouting fucker who is worse than Rayshun?  He needs to go asap.  

• Love 2

Top 3 are all ladies! Three ladies beat three WGWGs. This is definitely not Idol.

I am shocked by the results. I thought Spensha was in danger of being bottom 2. I never would have thought she would be top 3. Blake is good at what he does. I am also very shocked wasn't top 3. I thought he was running away with this thing. I am presently surprised. I've said it before, I think he'd make a good pop star but not a good singing competition winner. 

Adam should shut it. At least the vote wasn't that close so he likely didn't make the difference.

Blake talking to Pryor was heart felt. He means it when he says he will stay in touch with Pryor, at least if past experience is anything to go by. I like that Kelly also mentioned she knows how Blake supports his artists after the show.

• Love 3
(edited)

Country music and what is played on current Country Radio is different in 2018. Exhibit A.....Kane Brown. (Exhibits B through whatever would be Dan & Shay, Chris Lane, FGL, Sam Hunt, Raelynn, Bebe Rexha and FGL having a huge duet, Maren Morris and Zedd having a huge duet, etc. etc.)

Spensha's going to have a shot on Country Radio, and access to high level songwriters in Nashville. I fully expect her to get her music out there. Whether she gains traction is anyone's guess...but she's going to get that shot.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 4N6MAL said:

My mantra was ABP, ABP! Anybody but Pryor!

Pryor is probably kicking himself for his song choice last night.  I bet if he had sung a John Mellencamp or something similar he would have made top 4.

• Love 6

Woohoo! No Pryor or Kaleb. I’m so sick of mediocre country acts making it through on this show so I’m thrilled with this result. Spensha surpriseed me but I thought she sounded really good last night.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Diana Berry said:

Pryor is probably kicking himself for his song choice last night.  I bet if he had sung a John Mellencamp or something similar he would have made top 4.

But he was in the top 10 on itunes, so I don't think it was his selection that did him in - it was that Kaleb and Spensha also got the multiplier. I'm thinking it was his Twitter save song choice that got him bounced- unless that's what you were referring to.

He also showed a better tone in Save the World, so I was hoping that would come out again - NOPE. I like the dude, but he seems stubborn as fuck about growling through everything.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Blake talking to Pryor was heart felt. He means it when he says he will stay in touch with Pryor, at least if past experience is anything to go by. I like that Kelly also mentioned she knows how Blake supports his artists after the show.

Except Pryor?  Eeek.  That's not happening, Blake or no Blake.  I'm delighted that Pryor didn't make the finals.  I wish Caleb had.

I have to say, I could barely understand any of the words Alicia's teenage boy sang in his save song.  I think he's a good singer generally but I HATE THAT MUMBLING SHIT.  Sing the song, Dude.

I am surprised and thrilled that Spensha was voted in. Even she looked shocked and I don’t think she was faking it. I have been voting for her from the beginning. I wasn’t sure she had a shot, so her making the finale is a very pleasant surprise. I don’t care what type of music she chooses to sing - she has a beautiful tone and she is a pleasure to listen to. Also she is absolutely gorgeous. I know that this is “The Voice” and looks shouldn’t count, but seriously - she has it all. 

No doubt Kyla has an amazing voice, but I am so over these big belting singers. By the end of her performance this week I was super impressed with her ability, yet I didn’t enjoy listening to her.  Does that make sense? Based on sheer vocal ability she may win this thing, and she would deserve it. But I just don’t enjoy her style of singing. 

I was a fan of Jackie’s from the beginning but she was not at all good this week. I like Brynn. I am so glad Pryor and Rayshun are gone!

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Sugar said:

But he was in the top 10 on itunes, so I don't think it was his selection that did him in - it was that Kaleb and Spensha also got the multiplier. I'm thinking it was his Twitter save song choice that got him bounced- unless that's what you were referring to.

He also showed a better tone in Save the World, so I was hoping that would come out again - NOPE. I like the dude, but he seems stubborn as fuck about growling through everything.

Pryor has led everyone on iTunes before. I don't think this was his best week, but another song and another performance might have gotten more downloads, or more importantly, inspired more votes. I do think he had an uphill climb though. For all we know, he could have been in fourth after Monday. I think Spensha and Kyla being top 3 made it more difficult for Pryor. Part of me wonders if Pryor went first for the instant save to decrease the chances of all of Team Blake making the finale. 

24 minutes ago, tpplay said:

Except Pryor?  Eeek.  That's not happening, Blake or no Blake.  I'm delighted that Pryor didn't make the finals.  I wish Caleb had.

Am I missing a joke here? Blake has a strong record of supporting his artists post show. It's not about making them all superstars, but he does help them with contacts and has a lot of team members open for him at various times.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was a nail biter.  I was shocked to see those guys going at it in the end.  I too wonder if they got the numbers wrong.  I mean, really?  Odd, but, I feel okay with it now.

Sorry that Caleb wasn't included and Spensha out.  I really hope that Spensha doesn't win, but, other than that, I'm okay with it the ones that are left. I'm rooting for Britton, but, now, I don't see how he can win. 

I'm a long time country fan. though, I like many types of music. I like new and old artist and Spensha's voice and style is not suited for country imo. New or old country .   No matter how much Blake supports her, I can't imagine that changing.  She's not without some talent though. She just needs some honest direction and counseling.  Or maybe, she can get some professional training to help her adapt. I still can't see it though. 

And the votes and itunes purchases don't really reflect a contestant's future in the industry, as we have seen with previous contestants on this show.  It may provide them with a taste of success, but, it's momentary.  After the season ends, they usually return to obscurity or just a mediocre career.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, if you love what you do and can make a living at it. Plus, who wouldn't pride themselves in winning $100,000. or coming pretty close to it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
12 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Spensha is cute as a button but do not see her as country.  Maybe she should go back to gospel or even try acting ( she so reminds me of the actress on Grey's Anatomy). 

What actress? Spensha reminds me so much of someone, but I can't put my finger on who.

• Love 1

IIRC this week was the first time Spensha and Britton were in the same iTunes situation - in this case they both got the multiplier. Given that, the big take-away for me was that Spensha's been getting more votes than I thought and Britton hasn't been getting as many as I thought. Why? I would think that Britton's (non-perjorative) fan girls would vote and download, but maybe they do not vote so much? Maybe there is no "fan girl group"? I really should not spend so much time trying to figure these things out.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

What actress? Spensha reminds me so much of someone, but I can't put my finger on who.

I think I found it.  I thought the same thing.  To me, it's Marilyn McCoo.  Singer from yesteryear.  Here's a clip of her.  They even sound a like some. 

McCoo was also in the 5th Dimension.  (Group)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I thought during the twitter save that perhaps Pryor and Caleb were splitting the votes from a similar fan base.  

I find amongst the coaches that, in my opinion, Blake has the most genuine comments and clear points while Kelly and Alicia both do a lot of "word salad" where they just put a lot of words together hoping it makes sense and Adam just disses Blake.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

I am surprised and thrilled that Spensha was voted in. Even she looked shocked and I don’t think she was faking it. I have been voting for her from the beginning. I wasn’t sure she had a shot, so her making the finale is a very pleasant surprise. I don’t care what type of music she chooses to sing - she has a beautiful tone and she is a pleasure to listen to. Also she is absolutely gorgeous. I know that this is “The Voice” and looks shouldn’t count, but seriously - she has it all. 

No doubt Kyla has an amazing voice, but I am so over these big belting singers. By the end of her performance this week I was super impressed with her ability, yet I didn’t enjoy listening to her.  Does that make sense? Based on sheer vocal ability she may win this thing, and she would deserve it. But I just don’t enjoy her style of singing. 

I was a fan of Jackie’s from the beginning but she was not at all good this week. I like Brynn. I am so glad Pryor and Rayshun are gone!

I and my fellow watchers are exactly the opposite.

Different strokes for different folks.

Crazy night indeed. I'm glad about the results. Pryor's grizzly bear singing finally caught up with him and ironically he didn't growl as much as previous performances.

For those who say Spensha is not a country singer, Jackie is miscast as a rocker. Her rendition of the Sara Bareilles song was her best performance.

Speaking of Spensha "is not a country singer", for those country music fans in here, can an African American female singer become successful in country music? I kept hearing that Spensha this season (and Keisha last season) should not sing country. Why should they be segregated to gospel/r&b? If Blake is serious about Spensha becoming a successful country singer, is it possible?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

I feel exactly the same way. I am burnt out on the big belters. It used to be that hearing one was a special thing, now it feels like they're all trying to do it. As a singer myself, I can appreciate the acrobatics but, as a listener, I am no longer enjoying having every song treated the same way. It's why I am rooting for Maddie over on AI. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Since the beginning of the season, every time I look at Spensha I see Robin Givens.  Something about the chin and jawline, I think.

• Love 1
(edited)

Belting is not the same thing as vocal acrobatics, though. Belting is a particular style of singing higher notes, usually chest voice with good breath support to sing (usually) sustained notes. Audition calls ask for "x vocal range with belt" - not everyone can do it.  Vocal acrobatics (which doesn't appear in audition calls) is when you're going up and down and all over the scale and generally showing off your voice for no particular reason. Belters may also do gymnastics but belting isn't gymnastics. I love a good belter. I can do without 90% of the gymnastics.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Belting is not the same thing as vocal acrobatics, though. Belting is a particular style of singing higher notes, usually chest voice with good breath support to sing (usually) sustained notes. Audition calls ask for "x vocal range with belt" - not everyone can do it.  Vocal acrobatics (which doesn't appear in audition calls) is when you're going up and down and all over the scale and generally showing off your voice for no particular reason. Belters may also do gymnastics but belting isn't gymnastics. I love a good belter. I can do without 90% of the gymnastics.

I was honestly just trying to agree with you about Kyra. 

• Love 1

I will cop to liking a decent amount of current country music. And the track record of country music suggests that as an African-American female artist, Spensha will have an extreme uphill battle. The only two in recent years that I can think of who've even come close to making it are Rissi Palmer and Mickey Guyton. And if you are saying who? Exactly. It's not much better on the male side minus one major exception. Darius "Mr. Hootie" Rucker. There was a four person vocal group (2 M; 2F set up like Little Big Town) a few years back called The Farm or the Farm Inc. They had an African American male singer in the group and they seemed to gain some initial buzz with their first song out. But they immediately fizzled out and pretty much vanished.

My overarching point is to actually listen to songs like Rich by Maren Morris, or Fix by Chris Lane, or anything by Kane Brown or Sam Hunt. Or a newer song like Criminal by Lindsay Ell. What I'm saying is that Spensha's sound is no longer an outlier vocally in Nashville. If anything, voices heavy on twang like Reba McIntire, or Justin Moore/Trace Adkins are now the outliers. So much more of what is placed under the umbrella of country these days is a melding of rock or r&b/hip hop blended with country themes and music. I know this makes traditionalists who fellate Sturgill Simpson or Chris Stapleton on the daily run to FB with their angry defiant meme's....but to me it makes country music fluid and vibrant right now. More interesting than what's happening in rock or pop right now to my ears. YMMV for sure.

If you're talking to me (and you may not be), I was just trying to comment in general (and probably badly) that belting and acrobatics/gymnastics aren't the same thing. You can do acrobatics while belting, but you don't have to belt to do acrobatics

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Kelly Mcreary- she plays Meredith's half sister, Maggie, on Grey's Anatomy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:
3 hours ago, JeanneH said:

I was honestly just trying to agree with you about Kyra. 

Mamadrama, that was JeanneH comparing belting and acrobatics, not me! I’m not a trained singer and I wouldn’t be at all qualified to comment on such things. I agree completely with your post and I’m glad I’m not alone!

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Wings said:

Whose team are they on?  I have not been paying close attention this season. 

Brynn is on Team Kelly, making her the third new coach to get an artist to the finale on her first attempt, following Alicia (with Wé McDonald, season eleven) and Usher (with Michelle Chamuel, season four).

Spensha, meanwhile, is on Team Blake.

As for the other two finalists, Kyla is on Team Blake, while Britton is on Team Alicia.

For the first time since season four, Adam has no finalists.  His team was wiped out in this episode.

Edited by Ravon Okiro
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2018 at 9:21 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

I am not a country fan at all, but every time Blake sings I am transfixed by his voice.  It's so good!  Voice contestants can only hope to sound like that some day.

I like Blake's voice, but, he struggles at times, imo.  One good thing about him is that he's not overly impressed with his own talent.  That's good to see and actually, neither is Adam.  Adam has a lot to be humble about imo.  

• Love 2