Type keyword(s) to search

“Lost” and Found: Anticipation for Manifest

• Start Topic

So, I wasn't really sure about the show, mostly because all I've know about it until today is that it centered around a plane somehow, and Josh Dallas is in it. 

So, watching the trailer, I expect it to be an average show where it starts to be intriguing but then it spirals due to the mystery not being dealt with, or things being half assed or things not making sense or the focus being more on romantic and family drama. 

Still, I actually liked the trailer a lot and am officially on board with giving it a chance. 

• Love 3

It reminds me of Millennium with Cheryl Ladd. Kind of a plot from 4400 but instead of people randomly being taken over the years they are all taken at once and returned at the same time.  I wish it was a limited series.. I am sure there isn't enough material for a full season.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Still, I actually liked the trailer a lot and am officially on board with giving it a chance. 

It does look like a cool premise. I hope they actually have thought up a reason for it and aren't going to be playing by ear. 

• Love 4

From http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates :

Give NBC execs credit for resisting the urge to title this one Found. Like Lost but in reverse (and no, we don't mean that it has a terrible pilot but terrific finale), this serialized mystery centers on a plane that suddenly reappears after mysteriously disappearing without a trace five years earlier. . . . The series comes from Jeff Rake (The Tomorrow People, The Mysteries of Laura) and is produced by Robert Zemeckis and David Frankel (The Devil Wears Prada), with the latter also directing tonight's opener

Heh. Actually, naming it "Found" could've generated some snarky buzz.

• Love 5

Interesting premise, but I fear that like Lost and other shows off the genre the writers don't have a fully formed idea of what actually happened and we'll just get lots of mysterious teases/clues/questions with an unsatisfying payoff, if there's a payoff at all.

Maybe I've watched too much sci fi, but when everyone keeps asking where they've been (including the passengers) my first thought was "you haven't been anywhere.  You passed through a rift in time and skipped over those 5 years".  

• Love 5

Time travel shows often start out with a good premise, but more often than not they tend to veer and become comedic embarrassments. I'll start watching this one, but with little hope it will end well.

• Love 4

While I agree with most of the above sentiment and I don't trust the networks anymore regarding quick cancellations, I'm going to give this show a shot.

Both the trailer and sneak peak have me interested beyond it being a Josh Dallas vehicle (which is the only reason I looked up the show and watched the trailer in the first place).

Edited by Jul 68
  • Love 5

I see many of my own issues with this series upthread.  It looks awesome, but, I don't trust the writers to have the talent, foresight or creativity to make it sustainable or satisfying.  It's a shame. My last disappointment was Resurrection on ABC.  I sometimes think I should take up writing.   lol  But, maybe, we'll get a few good episodes out of this one. 

• Love 2

I was interested until one of the articles said that the characters will develop special powers than enable them to solve crimes...making this a procedural....I love procedurals but special powers like seeing through walls? Huh? Nah...not for me.

49 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I was interested until one of the articles said that the characters will develop special powers than enable them to solve crimes...making this a procedural....I love procedurals but special powers like seeing through walls? Huh? Nah...not for me.

That sounded bad to me too, but it's just "a sort of second sight" (https://variety.com/2018/tv/reviews/manifest-nbc-review-1202935727/ ), which kind of fits with having gone through a time-warp alternative dimension. And that might be better than Lost, which took a really long time trying to figure out if it wanted to be supernatural or not.

• Love 1

I'm intrigued by this but not totally optimistic because this sort of high concept drama either doesn't catch on and the mystery is never solved or it fizzles into a mess and would have been better as a limited series in the first place. That said the casting is good and the trailers are also pulling me in so they've got me for 2 or 3 shows I think.

• Love 3

I'll watch the pilot, but the description makes it sound very similar to at least 2 shows I've seen in the last 5 years or so, both of which I quit soon after they started because they just "lost" me ( go ahead and groan). And I can't remember the titles to either show, but they both had people coming back who were presumed dead ( I think). I think this type of show is very hard to make and keep it compelling, without losing focus, if that makes any sense. And it's too bad, because mysteries combined with some odd/supernatural elements really appeal to me. Probably why Lost is my favorite show ever. Hey, maybe this show will be the one that hits the spot-- it could happen !

• Love 2

I'm boarding this flight, but not in first class.  I promise not to judge it on the pilot alone. Most shows take several weeks to get out of the gateway and into open space. From there... already I'm tired of the airplane puns, sorry.

• Love 4

I'll give this a try. I'm an airplane guy, so that part of the story got my attention - if they came back on a boat after being missing, I might be less inclined to try it. How long I stay around depends on how much of a soap opera it becomes. 

• Love 1

I'm hoping it's good, but I'm still unsure that they'll be able to hold up the premise and not make it super cliche or confusing. 

I have a six episode rule, which usually doesn't last that long. If I can watch the first six episodes, I'm usually in it for at least the season. If I forget to watch an episode or don't watch it until much later, then that usually means it's not worth trying to watch it, at least live. 

• Love 1

I admit to only knowing what I see on previews about this show - NBC now touting it the 'most talked about & most watched premiere of the new season' - but it seems to be like every other sci-fi heavy show on the major 'OTA' networks.

It might find a vocal 'social' following to begin with, but there's a better-than-50% chance it doesn't keep its ratings up and is lucky to get a 2nd - shortened - season.

*cough*Timeless*cough, cough!*

I had never even heard of this show until I was channel surfing yesterday.  I binge watched the first few then saw the latest in real time.  It reminds me of Flash Forward that I was only season 5+ years ago. 

• Love 1