Type keyword(s) to search

The Passage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Disappointed, I thought it had a good shot at renewal

I'll say.  I'm very bummed.  I was actually hoping hopelessly that they might shift it over to FX?  I know that isn't going to happen but hell, if the Strain did four seasons on FX this would have gotten ratings at least as good as that.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

if the Strain did four seasons

The Passage was so much better than the Strain. I was quite surprised and disappointed to see this was canceled. It was well done, witty, interesting plot and characters...😭

• Love 8

I loved what they did with season 1, it was a rare case of the show being better than the book (IMO) mainly due to the fact TPTB nailed the casting for Brad and Amy.  Not just nailed it, they exceeded expectation.  However... with the reset covering the back half of the book I was very worried that it would turn into another TWD retread.  Perhaps it's better that we only saw a glimpse of the future and know that not everyone was wiped out.  Humanity lingers.  It's too bad we never got to meet the characters though.

Bezos picked up The Expanse.  This seems up his alley too.  Come on, Jeff!  You'll like this one too!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I wonder if it was the timeslot.

Wouldn't surprise me. Looking back I wish it hadn't been on Fox proper but on FX or shopped to a streaming service. At least it would have gotten a real chance.

• Love 5
(edited)

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but FOX is worse than TheCW.   The good FOX shows hardly survive - not even a full season, sometimes - and the barely average passable TheCW shows survive ratings armageddons for multiples of seasons.

TheCW's show's main cliche may be crappy (too much 'soap-trope' stuff holding them down), but it seems like all their shows are good to go for at least 10 seasons, actors/etc willing.

Still trying to figure out how The X-Files got 9 seasons, on FOX.  Seems like an absolute miracle, considering genre shows only get 1 or 2 seasons at best on that network nowadays.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

I hope they do find another place to take over this show--but I think it may be made harder because the next season would be a transition to the outcome of what started in the first season and there would be some world-building and a bigger cast --and that part of the story is so different that it may be a lot more expensive and also risky because it is almost like a whole different show--where most of the cast we like won't be part of it.       Still I liked the books so much and I really hope they do find a way to keep it going.    

• Love 1
(edited)

I would've been surprised if it WAS renewed.

We watched it with my fiance for like 6 episodes, maybe 7, don't know, before giving up. The premise was interesting, but the show did it no justice. Acting was meh, writing bland and those awful cheap makeup effects.

It was a weird combination of 90's monster series (Charmed, Buffy etc) and Prison Break (with the conspiracy). Some shows are ahead of their time, this felt like a relic.

Edited by RedMal
On 5/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, car54 said:

it is almost like a whole different show--where most of the cast we like won't be part of it. 

Truth.  Saniyya Sidney was a joy and a revelation and she wouldn't be part of the cast in the next season, which would be a real bummer for me.

• Love 2

I went back and watched the season again this weekend before the episodes expired from Hulu.  I enjoyed it just as much as the first viewing, and I'm still bummed it was cancelled.  I wonder if a big factor was the cost associated with changes that would have taken place in the second season, including all new sets, and FOX didn't want to spend the money.  (vs. another show with similar ratings, but would have reused existing sets because the environment was the same.)

And really, I also just came on here to say, even if only to myself and my typing fingers, since the show is long gone - but damn, Vincent Piazza was really doing it for me on this show.  Richards the character maybe wasn't the greatest, but the actor was awesome.  I never really bought into his relationship with Sykes, but in episode 9, when the underground facility was about to blow and he ran outside frantically, talking to her on the walkies, I was like, you're making the most of this one last chance to convince me of this love, bro, and you're taking it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

I went back and watched the season again this weekend before the episodes expired from Hulu.  I enjoyed it just as much as the first viewing, and I'm still bummed it was cancelled.

I rewatched it a few weeks ago and I agree. I still get annoyed when I think of other shows that got an undeserved renewal when this one got cancelled.

Richards aggravated me (well, mostly Babcock aggravated me), but the actor did a great job. Really, I just needed/wanted to see what happened to Brad and Amy - how they got through to each other again. I loved MPG’s and Sanniya Sidney’s dynamic so much. Also, I finally realized Matt Reeves, who produced this, is directing the next Batman movie, which gives me some goodwill towards that movie.

• Love 2

For anyone who follows this show here - The Passage is now streaming on tubi!!!!  At least in the US - can't say for sure about other countries.  I haven't rewatched yet, but I added it to My List so fast in excitement.  Tubi plays intermittent ads, but that's a small price to pay for me to be able to see this again.

• Love 2