Type keyword(s) to search

The Purge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/29/2019 at 9:10 PM, Chaos Theory said:

One of Ryan's bank robbing buddies is sentences to death while we get their back story which his incredibly interesting.  Honest cops in a dishonest world.    Now he is up against Esme who is looking for her own answers.   

And it seems like Esme is a little conflicted about turning in Ryan and his friends.  I could see her just letting them go, or helping them.

I think it's interesting that people who are convicted of crime are executed on the next year's purge - are they kept in jail until then? They are using prisoners to feed this messed up appetite for murder, which, considering how badly we treat prisoners in the real world, is sadly not completely out of left field. I was particularly struck that the only choice prisoners get is whether they are going to be part of the auction, in which case their loved ones can get 5% of their 'price'. It's really awful. I wonder what happens to the non-auctioned prisoners - are they just let loose on the street to be purged? Given away to NFFA-approved groups? 

I'm kind of irritated by the way the frat boy's plot is going. I feel like either NFFA has turned the country into a surveillance state where they will catch every little infraction, or half-crazed frat boys can stumble around and murder an innocent strawberry farmer undetected. Both of these things should not be true. And if this is a whole season of the frat boy just becoming more and more unhinged, then I am really not looking forward to his storyline. 

• Love 4

I didn't realize that the show was back and just caught up. I am really enjoying this season.

I totally think that it is the wife who put the hit on Derek Luke's character. Who else could it be? I suppose she could have a lover who wants him out of the way.

I think that Esme will end up asking to Ryan to help her or protect her as her investigation endangers her life. She isn't as good as she thinks she is. If Ryan could spot her so easily, whoever she is investigating must be on to her by now.

I was surprised that it turned out that Ryan and his crew were former cops, but that makes sense. They would have the skills to successful commit crimes and survive purge night. I think they will end up saving their convicted friend in the next Purge.

The only story not interesting me is the college one.  Maybe guy got too violent too fast. His intense tormented expressions just don't work for me.

• Love 5

The exploration of post Purge night is really interesting, especially in the super harsh laws and the constant monitoring of citizens. I guess it makes sense that when you have a night when all crime is legal, they feel like they have to have a sort of zero tolerance policy for all crimes during any other time. 

I liked the backstory of Ryan and his crew, being ex cops who quit in disgust at the corruption in their department. I hope the can help they friend escape, I think that he and Esme might actually end up teaming up, with his anger over police corruption and what I can guess will be her disillusionment with the government and the Purge. 

Ben is seriously losing his mind, killing someone not during the Purge is a huge deal legally, not even getting into his rapidly unraveling mental state.

• Love 3

So violent crime is steadily rising due to The Purge and the government is covering it up.

Most of the violence probably occurs in the poorer neighborhoods since they don't have enough money to keep people from breaching their houses or to leave the country during the The Purge.

I think I know who is trying to Purge Marcus Moore, this probably happened:

Spoiler

Since he is a doctor, it is somebody who came to the hospital not during the latest Purge, but right after the Purge before that one that. Marcus Moore ignored somebody who got injured during The Purge and choose to treat somebody else. The person Marcus Moore ignored, died and someone who loved them saw him do this and now wants him purged.

• Love 3

I really like Marcus' ex. I like the twist that she dumped him. I wonder about his wife's reaction to the description of the person asking about him. Is she just worried or does she know the person?

Ryan's crew is going hard on this heist, but the guy Tommy recommended promises to be trouble. 

Esme is going to get herself killed at this rate. She is going to figure out the government is covering up the increase in violence between purges.

Who was the Asian actor playing the Ben's new friend? He looked so familiar.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2019 at 4:02 AM, AnimeMania said:

So violent crime is steadily rising due to The Purge and the government is covering it up.

Most of the violence probably occurs in the poorer neighborhoods since they don't have enough money to keep people from breaching their houses or to leave the country during the The Purge.

I think I know who is trying to Purge Marcus Moore, this probably happened:

Reveal spoiler

Since he is a doctor, it is somebody who came to the hospital not during the latest Purge, but right after the Purge before that one that. Marcus Moore ignored somebody who got injured during The Purge and choose to treat somebody else. The person Marcus Moore ignored, died and someone who loved them saw him do this and now wants him purged.

It makes sense that crimes outside or purge are on the rise. The NFFA want to make it seem like the Purge helps reduce crime, so for it to not be the case would be bad for them. Especially since they use the Purge to take out poorer communities and people they don't like. There are cameras everywhere so they probably know who the serial killers are and use professionals to take them out on Purge night. 

Ben is 100% going to try to kill his girlfriend. She's going to look at him wrong and attack her.

• Love 2

The NFFA memorial day is super freaking creepy, especially them putting all of the dead cremated bodies in an assembly line and sending out packages to everyone who lost people. 

Ben has officially lost his shit, will he now become a non Purge serial killer? Now I wonder if Ben will end up in zero tolerance jail eventually instead of Purging, even as the NFFA is covering his crimes up. And his Purge loving buddy will end up ironically killed in the next Purge. The guy doesent exactly strike me as a major badass. 

So the NFFA is not only covering up the fact that the Purge and their whole Purge culture makes people more violent, they are also covering up crimes that take place outside of the Purge, or sending people to death row for anything. No wonder they get to say how the Purge works over and over again, its all just a big cover up for how their making everything worse in their desire to kill poor people and people they dont like and keep their power.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The NFFA memorial day is super freaking creepy, especially them putting all of the dead cremated bodies in an assembly line and sending out packages to everyone who lost people. 

I am surprised the entire process isn't completely automated with just one person with a glue stick gluing the pictures to the boxes. The fewer people knowing the ashes are not from their loved ones, the better. They should have this operation going 24-7, all year around, just waiting to add the name and picture to the generic memorial box.

• Love 1

Damn it, how did this go to shit so fast?

Season 2 I. A nutshell.  All the major storylines have pretty much gone to shut real fast but hey at least Marcus knows who put out a contract to purge him. Too bad it was because his wife cheated on him.

Also Esme has officially commuted treason.   Ben has officially committed his second off purge murder and Ryan has officially made a deal with the devil

So we are right on course.  

• Love 2

I liked last season, but this season has been so much better.

They did get me with Ben and his friend.  I thought his friend's body was going to be removed by the firemen, and they continue to cover up that the Purge is making people worse.  Because Ben's story would be a major blow to them.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I liked last season, but this season has been so much better.

They did get me with Ben and his friend.  I thought his friend's body was going to be removed by the firemen, and they continue to cover up that the Purge is making people worse.  Because Ben's story would be a major blow to them.

I am guessing that is what Esme’s friend was trying to get out.  Proof that there are people that can’t just shit off their aggression for a year and that the NFFA has been covering it up.

Well on the plus side, Marcus knows who tried to kill him! On the negative side, its the guy his wife had an affair with. She even had the classic "I was lonely!" excuse, which, yeah you married a doctor, i think you would have an idea of his work load! I am sure that this isnt the end of it though. 

As it turns out, rambling to a girl about your murder hard on isnt the best way to win over the ladies! Yeah, random murder isnt so awesome when your the one with a knife in the gut, huh? Ben can only keep this up for so long, I wonder if his story will wrap into Esmes, as his case is a pretty great study in how The Purge makes people more unstable and violent. 

So are we going to follow up with the Bachelorette party from Rio, or was it just another world building bit?

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, random murder isnt so awesome when your the one with a knife in the gut, huh? Ben can only keep this up for so long,

Ben was lucky someone pulling the fire alarm. If I was the police I would be focused on who pulled it (it wasn't the stabbed guy was it?), because I would think that they probably did it to cover up the murder.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Did the bachelorette trip that was being planned at the beginning of the episode tie into any of the other storylines at all?  

I think that that story line will mainly take place on Purge Day, since one sister hopes to stealth purge the other sister before her wedding. Since they are not in America yet, there is not much of a story, she will just try to lay low until the time is right.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bulldog said:

Did the bachelorette trip that was being planned at the beginning of the episode tie into any of the other storylines at 

No, it was like the other opening scenes that had nothing to do with the current storylines, but have to with The Purge in general (the actress auditioning for TP announcer, and the post purge clean up crew).

Season 2 continues to get better and better.   

Esme and Ryan make an interesting team.

The NFFA is sufficiently messed up.  In which it acts like a reality program where the more people who want you purged the more popular you are.   The opening scene with the news broadcast was very well done.   I thought the young more liberal woman was significantly freaked out that she had been all but threatened on the air only to have it brushed off as nothing by her colleagues.  “in America you are nobody unless someone wants to purge you”

That is the theme of the episode second only to “We can all live together or we can die together” by Marcus.  And yeah what did he do to piss off his neighbors?  Is it going to turn out to be like the original purge movie type thing where the answer is basically nothing.  That his biggest sin is that he doesn’t purge? 

Oh Ben Ben Ben.  You really should have gotten rid of the God mask.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
On 11/15/2019 at 2:44 AM, AnimeMania said:

I think that that story line will mainly take place on Purge Day, since one sister hopes to stealth purge the other sister before her wedding. Since they are not in America yet, there is not much of a story, she will just try to lay low until the time is right.

I would ditch anyone who wanted to bring me into the country, to experience the purge. I don't care if it's her big day, that's taking Bridezilla to all new extremes. 

I wonder if the wife took the hit out in her affair partner's name? 

I figured the college guy would kill the other one. I wondered if the friend had even really purged, or was just putting on a show/trying to look like a bad boy. I hope his girlfriend doesn't get killed - I was sure he was going to go after his brother by the end of the episode. 

• Love 2

Well shit, Marcus should have never left his old neighborhood! It was less fancy, but at least there people didnt want to murder you! What the hell did he do to piss off everyone in his whole neighborhood enough to make them ALL want to have him purged? Is it like the first movie, where they are all just jealous of his success? 

The opening with the talk show and the hosts saying about the more death threats you get the more popular you are was another good way of showing how much this world normalizing and celebrates violence. 

Oh Ben, always get rid of the evidence! I wonder if he will end up getting involved with Esme as a case study for how the Purge can make people more violent. 

Esme and Ryan and his crew should make an interesting team. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Well shit, Marcus should have never left his old neighborhood! It was less fancy, but at least there people didnt want to murder you! What the hell did he do to piss off everyone in his whole neighborhood enough to make them ALL want to have him purged? Is it like the first movie, where they are all just jealous of his success? 

I missed that. They all wanted him dead? 

• Love 1
On 11/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, Chaos Theory said:

And yeah what did he do to piss off his neighbors?  

All I could think of there was “Maybe the wife slept with the whole neighborhood?”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Anela said:

Marcus looked around and all of is neighbors were giving them death glares and he was like "it was all of them" so I guess we dont know for sure for sure, but it looks like it!

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Marcus looked around and all of is neighbors were giving them death glares and he was like "it was all of them" so I guess we dont know for sure for sure, but it looks like it!

Thank you. 🙂 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Anela said:

They're all white too, so then wanting Marcus dead may be to preserve their white collar neighbourhood and keep the blacks out. Jokes on them though, if they get hurt they'll all run to Marcus for help. 

It would be funny if they kill him then after the purge they're like, "Our daughter has a horrible disease/tumor/etc..." and they find out that Marcus is the doctor who can easily do that.

Marcus needs to kick his wife out. Ben's girlfriend needs to watch herself. The more that storyline goes on the more I feel like Ben is going to do the same thing his attempted rapist/killer did to him. Esme is horrible at being sneaky, but if the NFFA are able to track her this easily I wonder why the public hasn't revolted when the police can't catch serial killers. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

They're all white too, so then wanting Marcus dead may be to preserve their white collar neighbourhood and keep the blacks out. Jokes on them though, if they get hurt they'll all run to Marcus for help. 

That's possible. Were they definitely all white? I'd have to go back and check.

Here we are folks.   It’s two days until the next annual Purge.   And here is where we stand.

Marcus his wife and his son are going to fight whoever is coming at them and have developed quite the arsenal.  It’s interesting that the NFFA have such a travel list which keeps targeted people in town to basically get killed.  Very passive aggressive of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the guy who hit Kelen  In the later episodes being attacked by Ben or some NFFA zeaolot for that hit and run.   Poor Kelen.  Ben looking at all those God masks.   They are everywhere.

Aww Ryan and Esme made a love connection.  They have similar wants and needs but are coming from a different place.   I was surprised that Esme brought up Tommy.  I was also surprised that Ryan didn’t already know she was the one who tagged him.

It’s almost Purge night everyone!!!!!!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

So that's why Ryan was assisting Esme (which I couldn't figure out for the last couple episodes)...he has the hots for her! Makes sense because she is beautiful, especially in the long hair she had in the flashback and the blonde wig this episode! Now that two of the four storylines have merged(Esme and Ryan), hopefully the other two(Marcus and Ben) will converge as well. I think that would be intriguing for all the stories to converge, as they did in Season 1. 

I just don't get how Ben has killed, how many, four people off purge and he hasn't even been close to getting in trouble for it? Why? What did Marcus' son do to get "in trouble" with the NFFA? I know he was working with Esme, but it's unclear what he did with her.

• Love 1

Have found this season very intriguing and different from last season and the movies.  However, I am absolutely loving the little scenes they show before the titles (I know there's a name for them, but don'g know what it is).  The Bachelorette Party, the Instagram Likes, the Marketing session, and all of the others which I'm not remembering at the moment. 

My least favorite story line is that of the frat boy, so I hope he gets his on Purge night (not that I advocate violence, but this is a fictional show [hopefully...]).  I still think Marcus' wife is somehow connected to the hit that was placed on him.  

I was surprised that they advanced the timeline so much in this most recent episode.  However, I'm all in for the finale.  And, I really hope there's a third season.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

I just don't get how Ben has killed, how many, four people off purge and he hasn't even been close to getting in trouble for it? Why? What did Marcus' son do to get "in trouble" with the NFFA? I know he was working with Esme, but it's unclear what he did with her.

If the NFFA arrests Ben, then that would blow the lid off about the Purge.  He would be the ultimate example that the Purge is making people worse on every day.  They don't want that known, so they'll let him do his own shit for awhile.

And Marcus's son was also connected with the Professor friend of Esme's, that the NFFA killed.  He knows about the work she was doing, and that the Purge is making people worse.  He's marked because of what he knows.

• Love 4

Ben needs to be arrested, and charged. He looked thrilled when he saw those masks. 

I expected Ryan and Esme to get involved romantically. 

I still wonder if the wife will turn on Marcus. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Anela said:

Ben needs to be arrested, and charged. 

If Ben gets arrested and charged then the NFFA has to admit that something is wrong with the system.  Right now they could just let Ben walk out on Purge night and have him disappear like so many other poor unfortunate people.  No fuss no muss.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Only two more days left till Purge and I'm excited to see what happens. Once they get into the actual Purge, I wonder if we'll see Miguel and Penelope again? Or some other people from the first season.

I knew Ben was going to kill his girlfriend, but I didn't think it would happen this soon. She was a bit of an idiot, but I suppose fear can do that to you. She should have stabbed his neck before running away.

I'm glad Esme revealed that she was part of the agents who sent Ryan's friend away. It was only a matter of time before they'd hook up.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, Anela said:

I still wonder if the wife will turn on Marcus. 

I don't trust her at all. It wouldn't surprise me if she opened the door and also put the hit on Marcus in the first place and convinced everyone else to do the same. She has beef with him for some reason, but it's unknown right now.

• Love 3

I was confused by the openers at the start of some of these episodes at first, but I am enjoying them a lot now, they do a great job at establishing this world and how much violence is normalized by society, even when its not actually The Purge. 

I am surprised to see us moving along so quickly to the next Purge, but I guess we need to get there in time for the finale! I am glad that Esme told Ryan the truth about Tommy, especially now that they're together apparently. 

I wonder if anyone from next season will show up in time for Purge night? Maybe Miguel and Penelope show up to help someone out? I am curious is these plots will come together, and/or how that will happen?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Interesting opening.   I can see out of control teenagers getting real out of control during purge night.  Dad better hope he has a panic room.  It’s an interesting theme that you are kinda screwed when home isn’t a safe place.   It can be both good and bad.  A way to get rid of an abusive family member but it also an excuse for the abusive family member to get rid of you.

Ben taking his frat house hostage was fun because this all started for him because his coward friend left him to die and that same friend ran away instead of helping the rest of his brothers.   

On 11/27/2019 at 10:14 AM, Jediknight said:

And Marcus's son was also connected with the Professor friend of Esme's, that the NFFA killed.  He knows about the work she was doing, and that the Purge is making people worse.  He's marked because of what he knows.

Mostly adding and abbeding Esme.  She is a high value target who has high leevel target.   And then there is this whole thing with the woman who got killed who they both know.   The NFFA just want them both purged because they are a threat.   

what I find interesting is that people talk about putting Ben on trial or Ben Esme and Marcus’s son.   That’s not how this world works.   Not really.  Even when there is a trial it’s all of ya guilty ya die kinda thing.    It’s more then likely the NFFA have linked the murders back to Ben and have waited out purge night so they can just disappear him.   The same with Marcus.   The NFFA know where he is.  Send on a few assassins and boom problem solved.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Ben went crazy, but at least it is legal now....I wonder if he'll try to 'baptize' his friend to the Purge world. It looked like he wanted his girlfriend to be his rock and be his Purge partner, so maybe he'll do it with his coward friend too. Or maybe the coward friend will team up with the other frat brother and their story will end with them killing Ben only for the new frat guy to pick up the God mask. Then the cycle continues all over again.

I don't know if Marcus is a bad guy, but I feel like Michelle is going to turn on him at the end. And if that happens, I hope we get a scene where the neighbours are in the hospital and learn that Marcus is the only specialist they have to cure someone. Maybe they'll also learn that he was called away from that neighbour's wife and thus wasn't responsible for her death.

Speaking of which, wouldn't doctors be a protected class during the Purge? I feel like they should be, considering the amount of damage the Purge does.

Tommy's bus looks exactly like the one the cult used last season lol.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, MeThinkMeNot said:

Ben went crazy, but at least it is legal now....I wonder if he'll try to 'baptize' his friend to the Purge world. It looked like he wanted his girlfriend to be his rock and be his Purge partner, so maybe he'll do it with his coward friend too. Or maybe the coward friend will team up with the other frat brother and their story will end with them killing Ben only for the new frat guy to pick up the God mask. Then the cycle continues all over again.

I think Ben will rape his coward friend. Remember when his friend left him to his fate and he was trapped with that guy who wanted purge him.  That guy was going to rape Ben until Ben spotted that knife, lost it and killed him, unleashing his violent rage. He has not been well after that incident. Not to mention, he gets off from the violence. He got romantic and sexual with his late girlfriend after remembering his violent acts. I think Ben is a sadist, he gets off from inflicting pain on others. 

Has there ever been a male on male rape on television that occurred outside of prison?

Considering this Purge world, I would also want teachers to be a protected class. Can you imagine all the angry students coming after their teachers for daring to give them an F on a test (that they didn't study for)? 😲 Particularly older students, like high school or college, where bad grades might affect their future options.

• Love 3

Living in this world must just be exhausting, any relationship you have with anyone, even just random people you hardly know, can turn to murder so quickly. Didn't return my pencil? Prepare to die!

Loved that band of idiots trying to jack Ryan's truck, while his crew just casually showed them their guns. So will Esme manage to get the word out, and will it even matter? Will the FFA just spin this in their favor? 

You would think that Marcus would be at work. considering hospitals are apparently still working and are no fight zones. I would think that, if he wanted to avoid his asshole neighbors, that would be a good place to be, he could even go with his son! You know, his wife still seems sketchy, so it makes me think that his family from the old neighborhood will end up being the ones to attack them now that they're inside.

Ben has so lost it, that even his bros are getting the murder boner vibe from him. Has his buddy not learned his lesson about leaving his friends behind with killers running around?

It’s kind of sweet in a psychopathc way that Ben was just looking for a friend to murder spree with.   By the way what A fucked up kids show in The new America huh.   

I get not wanting to purge but when someone is coming after you you do have the right to stop them.  It was all kinds of arrogant that Marcus thought he could use his power of persuasion to talk down someone as angry as Clint.

7 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I get not wanting to purge but when someone is coming after you you do have the right to stop them.  It was all kinds of arrogant that Marcus thought he could use his power of persuasion to talk down someone as angry as Clint.

It was even worst that it worked. I was thinking that entire Marcus house scene was total BS.

Esme lying around unconscious in the van without being Purged until she recovered was even more than total BS. Esme's stupid plan got one of those totally safe from The Purge geeky girls killed and Esme didn't even care. Oh well, you have to break a few nerds to make an omelette.

Would the NFAA let people Purge right outside their building if they have to send troops in and out to handle special situations. Their security is total BS.

Nobody noticing that Ryan has disappeared long enough for some weak, rich guy to dig a 6 foot long by 2 feet deep grave (using his shotgun?, at least he remembered to bring a his wheelbarrow). That was some next-level BS.

The most realistic part of the entire episode was Ben forcing the weak frat boy to Purge his Fraternity Brother and leave the safety of his Frat House running unarmed into the murderous streets on the deadliest night of the year. That can't possibly be true, and yet is!!!!

Whoever wrote this steaming pile of an episode really insulted my intelligence and I was fairly satisfied with the story up until this point! Season 1 was nothing but mindless violence, Season 2 has very little. Why would I have chosen an episode filled with mindless violence over the drivel they force-fed me this episode. The engines are on fire and plane is going down, will they crash this puppy or pull a Sully? I still think Season 2 is way-y-y-y better than Season 1.

Those scenes with bridesmaids and the high school girls planning their Purges are those short vignettes about people getting excited about The Purge or are they relevant to the story some how? 

I am glad that nobody from Season 1 has shown up in this season, are they even in the same city? I think they are in New Orleans and Season 1, I think, was in New York.

• Love 1

There has to be some suspension of disbelief to make this world work.  

I can actually buy most of the neighbors being bullied by Clint into attacking Marcus.   He is the one pushing this thing from the start and the one with the clearest motive.   The only other one is the guy having an affair with Marcus’s wife but that has been handled.   I can see everyone finally having enough of Clint and deciding to side with Marcus at the end.    

Of course digging that pretty hole to put Ryan in such a short time is a little hard to digest but it made for a good scene so I let it pass.

As for the NFFA I don’t think you want to put signs all over the place that this if where they are because I don’t think any of them are off limits.  They actually had to put a hit out on Esme themselves.  I am guessing if anyone knew how to get into the building it would be stormed on a regular basis so best to keep it no deacript but at the same time secure.   So I can also buy Esme shutting downs security long enough for her to get in but anyone purging in the vacincity that saw the wanted poster would be able to get close to.

I can also accept that the violence of purge night is so chaotic that Ben’s friend can run through the streets and avoid it...for the most part.   He would eventually run into the chaos.  Which he did.   And not everyone is out to kill but some people are. Just out to be chaotic.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
On 12/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Zanne said:

Considering this Purge world, I would also want teachers to be a protected class. Can you imagine all the angry students coming after their teachers for daring to give them an F on a test (that they didn't study for)? 😲 Particularly older students, like high school or college, where bad grades might affect their future options.

As the SO of a college professor, I am in total agreement!  He already thinks about the possibility of mass shootings with troubled students. I think we would need to leave the country for the day!

I don’t think the NFFA values college professors much more than some of our current leaders (since they murdered Esme’s former professor). I think they would be very happy to have people purge some professors and teachers, especially the ones who are critical of the government.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:08 AM, Pearson80 said:

Has there ever been a male on male rape on television that occurred outside of prison?

Law & Order: SVU. With a good deal of frequency. I’m sure there are others, but that’s the most obvious show.

• Love 3